PDA

View Full Version : computer protection

thubby
2009-05-11, 12:59 AM
I recently got a new computer, and i need some good security. pop-up blocker, antivirus, antispyware, that sort of thing.
any recomendations are greatly appreciated.
(if this is a duplicate thread i apologize)

Starscream
2009-05-11, 01:03 AM
At the moment I use the following:

Avast Anti-Virus (Home version)
PC Tools Firewall Plus
Cactus Spam Filter
Adblock Plus (Firefox Plugin)
NoScript (Firefox Plugin)

All this stuff is completely free and I have no complaints about any of it. In particular AdBlock is awesome. I haven't seen a pop-up in two years.

Silence
2009-05-11, 07:42 AM
I use Avast!, and that works best for me.

raitalin
2009-05-12, 04:25 PM
I use:

Linux

Yarram
2009-05-12, 04:33 PM
I use:

Linux

Seconded. Seconded so hard.

Starscream
2009-05-12, 05:44 PM
Seconded. Seconded so hard.

And thirded (I dual boot). It basically makes all other security measures unnecessary.

Ubuntu is nice if you are used to a Windows like interface. Compiz Fusion is way nicer than anything Vista has to offer, however.

Jack Squat
2009-05-12, 06:00 PM
To those suggesting Linux...I think that's missing the point of this.

For antivirus software, I suggest downloading MalwareBytes. You have to pay $25 (I think) to get the whole package, but the free download is very thorough in it's search, and the only real downside is that you have to manually run it. As such, I also have AVG Free as my "primary".

Also, AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy are nice to remove malicious programs if they're giving you a bit of trouble.

I also recommend CCleaner to manage temporary files and what not.

xyzzy
2009-05-12, 06:10 PM
While I completely agree that Linux is probably the easiest solution, that's not really the question the thread is asking, so I'll answer that one instead :smalltongue:

Kaspersky, if you can afford it, is by far the best security software. It can update up to every 15 minutes, whereas most competitors only update once a day, and it has by far the highest rate of catching viruses and other malware. It's also the best in terms of memory usage. Though I rarely boot Windows, when I do I know I'm safe and sound with it.

raitalin
2009-05-12, 06:31 PM
To those suggesting Linux...I think that's missing the point of this.

Maybe a little, it is a little immature of me to just post that and leave it. Its just so much fun (http://xkcd.com/272/). :)

But honestly, if you aren't married to Windows for up-to-date gaming reasons (Which WINE can handle a lot of, but not all of) there's no reason you shouldn't check out Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com) if you're concerned about your computer's security. It's incredibly easy to install and use as your sole system, and dual booting just takes a little bit of reasearch. Its a lot less hassle for me than running a Virus scanner, adware blocker, spyware blocker, malware blocker and keeping the registry clean.

Play games in Windows and do everything else in Ubuntu, its what the cool kids do.

I will now stop shilling for the awesomeness that is Open Source software.

thubby
2009-05-12, 09:04 PM
thanks for all the advice.
this "new" computer is actually a hand-me-down, not a spiffy new gaming rig, so I'll probably look into linux, always wanted to anyway :P

raitalin
2009-05-12, 09:17 PM
Yay! My contribution is validated and I scored one for the good guys!

That's precisely the way I started using Linux seriously, my computer was struggling to run XP (which I just noticed is the emoticon for dead or extremely disgusted) so I just said "What the heck?" and never looked back.

Hope it works out for you, remember Ubuntu has its own forums full of people eager to help.

Yarram
2009-05-13, 06:45 AM
thanks for all the advice.
this "new" computer is actually a hand-me-down, not a spiffy new gaming rig, so I'll probably look into linux, always wanted to anyway :P

Just a tip, rather than download Ubuntu Linux off the Ubuntu Server, look into your ISP provider's servers first, and you may be able to download it without using any of your monthly downloads.
(If you have no idea what I'm talking about, just download it from the Ubuntu site.:smallsmile:)