PDA

View Full Version : powerful build and unarmed strike damage

riddles
2009-05-11, 03:11 PM
does a half giant or goliath or half minotaur have the unarmed strike damage of a medium monk or a large monk?

i'm working out die increases and want to see if it's worth taking half giant

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-11, 03:30 PM
Medium. Powerful build reads 'can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty'. The increase is not automatic.

Maltore
2009-05-11, 03:49 PM
I have always ruled that they used the unarmed damage table for large creatures.

I suspect that WotC willfully left out any reference to unarmed damage in the description of Powerful Build because they wanted DM's to have the final say on it. If I were you, I'd ask your DM politely about his opinion on the matter.

Swooper
2009-05-11, 04:07 PM
I'd just like to point out that Half-Minotaurs don't have Powerful Build, their size increases to one above the base creature (so most would be Large).

Salt_Crow
2009-05-11, 04:11 PM
I believe the official FAQ does indeed share Sstoopidtallkid's viewpoint.

Baron Corm
2009-05-11, 05:42 PM
"A goliath can use weapons designed for creatures one size larger without penalty."

I would say so. Unarmed strike is a weapon. You are choosing to use the larger of your two options. RAW seems to check out, though I think if you look at it from a RAI point of view, it just isn't specified. Rule of fun, at least, says unarmed striking goliaths shouldn't be gimped.

Curmudgeon
2009-05-11, 09:56 PM
I would say so. Unarmed strike is a weapon. You are choosing to use the larger of your two options. This doesn't make any sense to me.
Striking for damage with punches, kicks, and head butts is much like attacking with a melee weapon You're using your medium size body parts. There's no option to make them larger. Powerful Build would let you use larger fists, feet, and head to good effect, but it doesn't grant them -- any more than it automagically makes a medium size sword larger in your hand.

The answer is no.

holywhippet
2009-05-11, 10:54 PM
Don't forget though, if you take a level of wizard/sorcerer or a cleric with the strength domain you can always cast enlarge person on yourself. That pushes you up to the next size category.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-11, 10:59 PM
Don't forget though, if you take a level of wizard/sorcerer or a cleric with the strength domain you can always cast enlarge person on yourself. That pushes you up to the next size category.But you can do that anyways.

Darrin
2009-05-12, 08:41 AM
does a half giant or goliath or half minotaur have the unarmed strike damage of a medium monk or a large monk?

i'm working out die increases and want to see if it's worth taking half giant

By RAW, no, Powerful Build only applies to certain conditions:

1) When making opposed checks that involve a size modifier (grapple, bull rush, trip, etc.)
2) When targeted by an opponent's special attack that depends on size (swallow whole or engulf)
3) When wielding a weapon designed for a creature one size larger than your current size

Unfortunately, an unarmed strike doesn't fit any of those categories. By RAI, though, I don't see a compelling argument to stick to RAW. If you're trying to convince your DM to allow this, and you're using a monk's unarmed strike, see if he'll allow any wiggle-room with the idea that a monk's unarmed strike counts as both a natural and manufactured weapon. If your DM says no, then consider playing a warforged monk with a Battle Fist (Eberron Campaign Setting p. 268, 2600 GP), which gives you the unarmed damage of a large-sized monk.

Other ways to increase your unarmed damage via size increases:

1) One-level dip into Psychic Warrior gives you Expansion. Four levels + Practiced Manifester gives you Augmented Expansion (two size increases) and Hustle (i.e., Pounce). If you have access to the Tashalatora feat (Secrets of Sarlona), this makes a Monk/Psychic Warrior actually playable.
2) Improved Natural Attack (INA) if you have the monk's unarmed strike. If you got Improved Unarmed Strike some other way, consider dipping some other PrC such as Battledancer, Shou Disciple, Fist of the Forest, etc. so that your unarmed strikes count as natural weapons.
3) A dip into Totemist or Shape Soulmeld + Open Lesser Chakra would allow you to bind the Totem Avatar soulmeld to your shoulder chakra, increasing your size on all natural attacks, and this does stack with INA. Augmented Expansion + INA + Totem Avatar = 4 size increases.
4) Sunken City of Pazar (Sandstorm p. 55). Touchstone site, so it requires spending a feat on Touchstone or Planar Touchstone. This essentially gives you the Powerful Build trait 1/day for 1 minute. Unfortunately, this doesn't apply to unarmed strikes (unless your DM is feeling generous), and it doesn't stack with any similar ability. Use is pretty limited, so not really recommended.
5) Alter Self and/or Polymorph spells: Yes, there are large-sized humanoids in Oriental Adventures (take a look at the Shinomen Nagas). However, in most cases you lose your (Ex) traits while in an alternate form, so Powerful Build goes away. INA or Totem Avatar soulmeld should still work, however.
6) Giant Size, 7th level Wu Jen spell. Change your size to Huge, Gargantuan, or Colossal based on caster level. It's very difficult to get ahold of this spell without 13 levels of Wu Jen.

Chronos
2009-05-12, 06:39 PM
By RAW, a goliath monk does Medium unarmed damage. But also by RAW, a goliath monk can use Large gauntlets. Bending the rules to just allow the monk do damage as though he were large is by far the less silly option.