PDA

View Full Version : [Cursed Artifact]Mask of Amsh

Maerok
2006-08-08, 12:05 AM
Mask of Amsh
---
Carved from the bone of a black dragon, this mask was forged into a masterpiece by a demilich known as Amsh. It proudly wore the mask throughout its many years of existence before the undead wizard was cut down by paladins. Since then, this delicate mask, polished down to an almost porcelain quality, has traveled the world, bringing the madness of its creator to others.
---
This simple but elegant white mask has almost no weight to it, as if it would float if dropped. Any attempt to discern its magical properties fails, as if it weren't magical, unless it is brought into contact with a lich or demilich. In such a case, the mask radiates a black energy from the eye sockets and has Overwhelming Necromancy and Overwhelming Chaotic Evil auras. The mask itself is an intelligent item: CE, Int 21, Wis 21, Cha 10. It seeks to wreak havoc upon the most people possible.

When worn, the wearer suffers the effects of Insanity if they fail a DC 27 Will save (even if the mask is removed). Attempting to remove the mask fails unless Remove Curse is cast upon it at CL 25 or higher. Every day at sunset, the mask tries to drain the wearer of their mind. The wearer takes 1d3 points of Intelligence, Charisma, and Wisdom damage (rolled independently). The mask's own ability scores are increased by 1 (improving its Ego score with which it can alter the wearer's mind). Once removed, the mask loses any ability score increases. If any of the wearer's mental ability scores goes to zero, the mask takes over their mind and no longer drains their scores. Removing the mask in this state leaves them to suffer from the zero ability score(s) as normal.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-08, 12:31 AM
Why would I want to put it on?

Maerok
2006-08-08, 12:39 AM
More of a trap, cursed artifact. For players who demand to get an artifact ;D

edit: added disclaimer to title

Fizban
2006-08-08, 02:38 AM
I must object: it should not cause unavoidable insanity, but rather insanity with an arbitrarily high DC, and natural 20's always fail (there's even a spell that does the 20 fail thing too).

Gyrfalcon
2006-08-08, 02:58 AM
What I question is why the demilich would have put it on in the first place. Maybe a bit of fluff indicating that a fragment of the demilich's personality escaped into the mask?

Maerok
2006-08-08, 09:18 AM
Yeah, the whole ambient evil thing where a really bad guy's evil can manifest itself within an item. I wish there was a player mechanic for that. ;D