PDA

View Full Version : Deadly/Debilitating Cursed Item to fit in Coin Purse?

MustacheFart
2009-05-11, 11:49 PM
Hey all,

I'm going to try and make this short and sweet (rare for me hah but I'll try). I'm playing a fear-monger character in a primarily evil party. The only one who isn't evil is the duskblade (Chaotic Neutral so close enough) and the rogue. The guy playing the rogue was actually playing the druid but do to RP reasons the true neutral druid got split off from the party in terms of focus/goals so, he rerolled as a rogue.

His rogue character is starting to become a thorn in my side. I've already corrupted the assassin in the group and got him to join my secret society, pledging undying loyalty to Nerull. The duskblade I am working on corrupting because he belongs to another group that my group would like to use/manipulate. The rogue however is playing completely neutral of any affiliations and is really just trying to act as a monkey-wrench. This is mainly due to some metagaming upon character creation, which I suspect is because I conspired against his neutral druid character lol.

Anyway, the player has already slide of hand robbed 1 character (the assassin) and failed at robbing the other character (the assassin saw him this time lol). I can see the obvious potential here to make such greed his downfall.

So, finally my question is:

Is there a good cursed item that's relatively cheap that I can hide in a coin purse on my body for him to acquire, should he try to steal from me?

I mean my character has like no spot or listen (- to spot and listen from flaw) plus I am widely known as "The Bubbling Idiotic Freaky Fish Guy"* so, I think it is a matter of time before he tries.

I would like to get him with a cursed item that, if it doesn't outright kill him, at least hits him really hard (permanent negative affect/s).

*I'm really a Drow but high bluff + breathing hood = party who thinks I am a fish guy.

RTGoodman
2009-05-12, 12:11 AM
I don't usually condone intra-party conflict like this, but most Evil parties always end up that way. I'll assume since you're playing an Evil party, then everyone's okay with backstabbing and all that.

My suggestions? A ring of clumsiness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#ringofClumsiness)(which is BAD for a Rogue), or if you're feeling particularly nasty, a periapt of foul rotting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#periaptofFoulRotting). The ring is particularly cheap (500gp), while the periapt might be okay for higher levels (17,000gp).

Kylarra
2009-05-12, 12:14 AM
Explosive runes on coins. Lots of them.

then fail a dispel check... :smallcool:

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-12, 12:16 AM
Most cursed items require use to activate, meaning you'd need to have a reason you weren't always wearing it. You'll also require the DM's help, both for finding a particular Cursed item, and for not revealing to the Rogue what's up(he needs to roll to see which of your gear the Rogue gets, after all:smallwink:). I recommend a Medallion of Thought Projection(if you have a more consistantly useful amulet), Potion of Poison, Stone of Weight(say that it only activates if stolen), or finding homebrew.

Myrmex
2009-05-12, 01:40 AM
Most cursed items require use to activate, meaning you'd need to have a reason you weren't always wearing it. You'll also require the DM's help, both for finding a particular Cursed item, and for not revealing to the Rogue what's up(he needs to roll to see which of your gear the Rogue gets, after all:smallwink:). I recommend a Medallion of Thought Projection(if you have a more consistantly useful amulet), Potion of Poison, Stone of Weight(say that it only activates if stolen), or finding homebrew.

Did you ever watch Dr. Strangelove?
The entire idea of a Doomsday weapon is that everyone knows about it!

The best way to prevent actual party conflict is to simply do it Cold War style. If you ruined the guys drood, and now he is messing you with the rogue, what to you think will happens if he rerolls another time because of you? Allow things to escalate such that neither of you actually want to begin launching the bombs.

MustacheFart
2009-05-12, 02:36 AM
Well, first let me state a couple things:

1) Inter-party conflict...or "messing with each other" is perfectly okay and allowed.

2) The DM already stated it was cool if I did this as the DM's take on it is, "He brought it on himself stealing from the party!" The DM is cool with even a Scarab of Death if I could afford it which I cannot.

3) The average character level of our party is 7. I am ECL 7 (5 class levels + 2 LA)

I'm really divided on whether I'd prefer to kill him with the item or just harm him. My greedy side says, "This would be an easy way to kill him and loot him without having to create some long, drawn-out, thought-out scheme or attack him outright."

My funny/arrogant side says, "Just give him some punishment to show him he'd be wise to never try to steal from me again."

Now, Myrmex makes a good point about him rerolling something worse if I killed him. Although I'm not quite sure how I could "escalate such that neither of us want to launch the bombs." I guess a debuffing affect instead of a death affect would be a better choice of action.

Sstoopidtallkid: My idea was I'd have the item in a small coin purse on me. Then when he goes to pickpocket me, I'd intentionally fail the spot check, allowing him to steal the purse with said item inside. I wouldn't have to know he was going to pickpocket me as I'd be willing to let anyone dumb enough take my coin purse.

I really like the weight stone (lodestone or whatever) but going off the definition, wouldn't I be victim of its affect until he stole it even if it was in my coin purse?

MustacheFart
2009-05-12, 02:49 AM
Explosive runes on coins. Lots of them.

then fail a dispel check... :smallcool:

I think I see where you're going with this idea and I like it but one problem. If he stole them how would my character know he did in order to target him (or his purse) with a dispel?

Wouldn't it be easier to cast it on fake makeshift coins with writing on them? Surely he'd inspect them after he stole them, then KABOOM!!!

Hawriel
2009-05-12, 02:54 AM
Get a bag of devowering. Its a cursed bag of holding that will eat some one that tries to stick their hand in it. If the guy you hate is a halfing well its just more fun. DMG cursed item.

Also necklass of strangulation. Just keep one in your coin purse.

Cant remember the right name for this item. Magic jar or gem of imprisonment. I think. Any way if you touch it you get sucked inside and imprissioned. There is no way out, and the person so imprisoned is frozen in time. Get a nice shiny dimond enchanted this way. Then drop it in the ocean.

edit.
The explosive runes idea sparked a memory.
Friend of mine had a spell book with explosive runes enchanged on every page. aslo a glyph of command that commanded the offender to turn the page. It was a big book. The last page had the spell for explosive runes.

Kylarra
2009-05-12, 09:21 AM
I think I see where you're going with this idea and I like it but one problem. If he stole them how would my character know he did in order to target him (or his purse) with a dispel?

Wouldn't it be easier to cast it on fake makeshift coins with writing on them? Surely he'd inspect them after he stole them, then KABOOM!!!
Yeah that's probably a better idea. I forgot that you're going for completely unattended traps.

Zergrusheddie
2009-05-12, 10:08 AM
One way is to cast Alarm on your purse. When anyone touches it without saying the password (something in Drow would be classy) it will give you a warning.

Playing in Evil campaigns before, people stealing from the party usually happens once per set of characters. The Rogue was caught with his hand in my Druid's pocket, so I nearly turned him into mulch with a Poison. Stealing wasn't a problem again. If you play with the same group of friends, most times people will just metagame and say not to be an asshat who steals from the party.

Wafflecart
2009-05-12, 11:46 AM
Just wanted to share a thief story, non-evil campaign. We're walking through Sigil, and I end up getting robbed by a rogue on the way to our contact. Anyway, we get to where we're going, and we see our contact making dealings with a short guy who seems to be trying to sell him a sword...a sword that looks strangely familiar...as if I'd seen it before...in my hand...in combat...for years....So without hesitation I harpoon the bastard. He is later sold by our contact (his master) to us as an indentured servant. I was the captain of a planar sailer, and this guy ended up being my character's cohort's (the first mate) slave...btw, this rogue was also a PC.

Tyrmatt
2009-05-12, 05:38 PM
If there's a way to curse an item with Honesty, it's the hilarious way to go. Forcing the rogue to own up to his misdeeds will soon stop him doing anything to you again.
Not to mention the curse compels him to tell anyone he's pickpocketing from that he's doing it, completely subverting his raison d'etre.

MustacheFart
2009-05-15, 01:24 AM
Just an update:

I have had explosive runes casted on some forged coins I carry in a coin purse. However, the said thieving player has yet to try and pickpocket me. It kind of seems like the player is actually avoiding stealing from me, which is good and hilarious. I think this might be due to out-of-character innuendo. That and the fact that I don't think the guy is stupid enough to try stealing from a 3rd party member after having stole from two of us already and not expect consequences.

Tyrmatt: I REALLY like your suggestion of cursing an item with honesty. I'm not sure how possible it would be though.

Maybe I could convince my DM to let me make an item with the typical "can't get rid of it until a Remove Curse is casted upon you" feature and then permanency a Zone of Truth spell on it. This wouldn't make him say that he's pickpocketing you but only admit to it after being questioned.

Is there an item/spell that would make them state openly and honestly what they are doing?

Myrmex
2009-05-15, 01:39 AM
Just an update:

I have had explosive runes casted on some forged coins I carry in a coin purse. However, the said thieving player has yet to try and pickpocket me. It kind of seems like the player is actually avoiding stealing from me, which is good and hilarious. I think this might be due to out-of-character innuendo. That and the fact that I don't think the guy is stupid enough to try stealing from a 3rd party member after having stole from two of us already and not expect consequences.

I was just going to say prevention goes a long way, and you should make it obvious to him, both OoC and IC that you have devised a cunning plan to make his life a nightmare if he steals from you. If he declares that he will be pick pocketing you, just give the DM a knowing, perhaps eager, look, and pass him a note. Then smile and ask "how, exactly, do you pick pocket me? Do you cut the purse strings, or reach in side?" See if he goes through with it. :smallamused:

MustacheFart
2009-05-15, 02:14 AM
Ya, honestly I don't expect him to mess with me. I pretty much took on the role as the party leader because I can't stand sitting around for hours doing the ******** shuffle lol. Not to mention my character is the most "evil" character in the party.

I mean, honestly, who'd want to mess with a guy who's a bubbling, goofy-yet-very-charismatic fish-guy during his daily travels but whom turns into a variable grim reaper (Robe, Scythe and all lol) during dangerous encounters. Not to mention a guy with a now known (to the party) membership in a secret society that worships Nerull and whom has recruited another party member into the same said society. :smallbiggrin:

Myrmex
2009-05-15, 02:16 AM
One thing I've never quite figured out with the evil adventuring party- how do you all sleep in the same room without waking up dead? Slitting someone's throat takes six seconds and forces a pretty much un-makeable save.

Kylarra
2009-05-15, 02:23 AM
One thing I've never quite figured out with the evil adventuring party- how do you all sleep in the same room without waking up dead? Slitting someone's throat takes six seconds and forces a pretty much un-makeable save.Apparently quite peacefully (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/02/12/episode-1093-night-of-murder/). (Although I guess to be fair only 2 of 3 are evil).

VirOath
2009-05-15, 02:41 AM
One thing I've never quite figured out with the evil adventuring party- how do you all sleep in the same room without waking up dead? Slitting someone's throat takes six seconds and forces a pretty much un-makeable save.

That's quite easy. Just because you are evil doesn't mean you are stupid.

If you are as a group, then you are working together for goals because of the power of teamwork. Evil isn't loners. And the skills of people are often more valuable than what little or useless items you don't want. And even if you -could- get use out of it, there is only so much you can do at once. And having others around to take hits or distract can be very useful.

You don't have to be the leader to get along as evil. Though there is bound to be a bit of grinding of gears it isn't bad enough to warrant a killing. Even if there is some overlap between the characters. Because the longer they are together, the more that they can get done, even better if it is toward the goals of the character in question. And that potential payoff is more than making an instant grab for a smaller payoff now.

But in the end it comes down to the character. But being evil doesn't remove the ability of choice and compromise, they just play alot dirtier than most.

MustacheFart
2009-05-15, 03:19 AM
Yea, I agree with VirOath. I like to keep my party members alive so I can continue to use them.

Basically, the real difference for me between playing a good character and an evil one is the presence or absence of emotion and morality. When I play a good character I let emotion and morality effect what I do and the decisions I make.

However, when I play an evil character, I do not let emotions or morality play as much of a role, if even at all. I typically see the game as a chess match when I play an evil character. The other members of my party are my various pieces. I don't want to just kill them off or let them get killed because then I can't use them to the fullest, in order to meet my goals. I do whatever it takes to get what I want, even if that means I have to "help" the other party members to get what they want so, that I can keep them happy and unknowingly working towards my goals.

The way I look it at, if you have grandiose goals and you accomplish them, well...then you don't even have to trouble yourself with killing your party members anymore. Climb the ladder high enough and you can have people beneath you deal with them.

Myrmex
2009-05-15, 03:24 AM
But think of all the tasty treasure you would have if you killed the other three! You can always find more people to help you (or dominate them into submission).

Besides, clearing a dungeon is dangerous, and you have to split the loot 4 ways. If you kill them now, you get loot, there's no danger. Meeting strangers in bars, then heading out into the woods where you murder them for their gold seems like it would be a really easy way to make money. If anyone asks what happened to your companions, tell them a manticore got them.

Quietus
2009-05-15, 03:57 AM
But think of all the tasty treasure you would have if you killed the other three! You can always find more people to help you (or dominate them into submission).

Besides, clearing a dungeon is dangerous, and you have to split the loot 4 ways. If you kill them now, you get loot, there's no danger. Meeting strangers in bars, then heading out into the woods where you murder them for their gold seems like it would be a really easy way to make money. If anyone asks what happened to your companions, tell them a manticore got them.

Never mind that stronger enemies tend to have significantly more loot, as the power curve rises. A group of people you know you work well with can help you fight even stronger enemies, thus gaining MORE treasure, and over time, making you far more wealthy (and powerful, due to that sweet, sweet XP) than you'd get slitting their throats and taking their stuff.

Besides, if one guy goes to a dungeon with a group, comes back alone with all their stuff, you think they'll easily recruit another group for the next dungeon? At best, they'll be labeled a "curse to those who travel with them", at worst, murderers (Even if it's just whispered rumors).

shadzar
2009-05-15, 04:07 AM
Just get a bag with a permanent sleep spell on the inside of it. Anything inside it is put to sleep. Once removed the sleeping thing can waken.

Then just put a rot grub or two in the bag.

You will avoid taking them out when going into the purse, but your thief may just grab whatever a hand can hold and pull out a rot grub or two and problem solved. :smallbiggrin:

MustacheFart
2009-05-15, 05:09 AM
Just get a bag with a permanent sleep spell on the inside of it. Anything inside it is put to sleep. Once removed the sleeping thing can waken.

Then just put a rot grub or two in the bag.

You will avoid taking them out when going into the purse, but your thief may just grab whatever a hand can hold and pull out a rot grub or two and problem solved. :smallbiggrin:

What are rot grubs?

Myrmex
2009-05-15, 05:17 AM
If they're vermin, they won't be subject to your sleep spell, since they're immune to mind affecting effects.

MustacheFart
2009-05-15, 05:22 AM
Isn't there this really super sticky alchemical substance? Like superglue stuff that can't easily be removed from whatever its sticking to?

I mean I could see it now:

ME: "What the hell are you doing? Get your hand out of my coin purse!"

HIM: "I CAN'T!"

lol

Myrmex
2009-05-15, 05:44 AM
Hahaha! Just make your tanglefoot bag look like your coin purse!

shadzar
2009-05-15, 07:01 AM
http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/vermin/rot_grub.htm

If they're vermin, they won't be subject to your sleep spell, since they're immune to mind affecting effects.

Well they are a deadly thing. They used to not be a "vermin" category so to speak. :smallannoyed: