PDA

View Full Version : Futuregame:predict real life currency changes

Crispy Dave
2009-05-12, 01:21 AM
not sure if anyone here knows about it but it's pretty cool. You predict whether currency exchange rates will rise or drop in the next 30 seconds and try to get guessing streaks. happy referral link that you should click (http://www.futuregame.com/index.php?r=crispydave)

edit:if this belongs more in Other games feel free to move it mods.

RS14
2009-05-12, 01:37 AM
Plan: Create such a game. Rather than using real data, choose data which contains relatively recognizable patterns, and favor certain currencies. Allow it to become popular (difficult). Ensure that you can recognize the effects of this on actual markets enough to make a profit (probably impossible). Exploit poor trades made by people who believe they can predict currency fluctuations, and are biased for and against pre-selected currencies which you set fake patterns for.

Possibly illegal (it seems like a variant on pump-and-dump schemes), but it's the first thing that came to mind.

Crispy Dave
2009-05-12, 01:39 AM
Plan: Create such a game. Rather than using real data, choose data which contains relatively recognizable patterns, and favor certain currencies. Allow it to become popular (difficult). Ensure that you can recognize the effects of this on actual markets enough to make a profit (probably impossible). Exploit poor trades made by people who believe they can predict currency fluctuations, and are biased for and against pre-selected currencies which you set fake patterns for.

Possibly illegal (it seems like a variant on pump-and-dump schemes), but it's the first thing that came to mind.

well A friend of mine just won a ipod yesterday so I will know if their actually giving out prizes soon.

Felixaar
2009-05-12, 01:53 AM
Australian dollar worth oodles of all other currencies.

A man can dream, a man can dream.

RS14
2009-05-12, 01:55 AM
well A friend of mine just won a ipod yesterday so I will know if their actually giving out prizes soon.

Oh, I wasn't saying that's what they're doing. They claim in their FAQ that it's for market research and data aggregation for sale. I'm just skeptical that the average player is likely to trade currencies, so think the value of the data would be relatively little. But what do I know.

No, my point is just to encourage general caution. Also idle curiosity. It was interesting to consider how such a scheme would work.

Felixaar
2009-05-12, 02:03 AM
Oh, I'd say it's more likely they're searching for people with pyschic capabilities. Like Neil Patrick Harris.

chiasaur11
2009-05-12, 09:43 AM
Two words.
Bottlecap currency.

Crispy Dave
2009-05-12, 12:41 PM
Two words.
Bottlecap currency.

trust me I'm already digging a hole and saving my bottlecaps.