PDA

View Full Version : OOTS Flash game project

Adulto
2009-05-13, 12:03 AM
Hi everyone, my name is Guilherme and I am from Brazil.
Well...
(Sry for my bad english)

I went to a Faculty of digital games and my first project was a OOTS game... I will NOT sell it or anything, is free and all and is almost finished too so... I wanted to know the opinion os Rich and his approval of course, and that he made a document, not a document but something with all the copyright and blabla things, because I will cut it and paste in the credits. Well, that's all I guess... and here are some screenshots:

http://img27.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=screenshotwat.jpg
The SS is actually pretty crappy, sry about that.

Ah, and the cenario art is different from the stories because... well... when you are in a group, you canīt just boss around everything (the OOTS was my ideia : P) But I think it became very good anyway...

Well, waiting for some replies : )

Athaniar
2009-05-13, 02:45 AM
The graphics look very good, although I'm not sure Rich allows people to use his characters, even for non-profit. I suggest you remove/replace all unique OOTS characters (such as Roy) until Rich tells you otherwise, but I don't think he has anything against the style of art itself, many have used it in webcomics.

And your english is very good for a foreigner.

Tempest Fennac
2009-05-13, 02:56 AM
Someone else has made a similar game and they just used characters who are based off OotS characters while not using their names.

Silence
2009-05-13, 07:41 AM
This actually looks very cool.

I'm a bit of a flash artists myself. I'm part of a couple collabs, and I'm working on a stickfigure style much like the one over at Deletionquality.net (check the flash section and watch Castle III and Castle Rep.)

If you need any help, feel free to PM me. I got CS4.

Anyway, on to the screenshots. It looks good and well made, except that the lines aren't thick enough.

Lupy
2009-05-14, 09:00 PM
It looks quite nice, but Rich never goes for these things.

I would rework and rename the OOTS characters (different color armor perhaps?) and then put it up, no sense in letting all that work be for nothing.

Khanderas
2009-05-15, 04:22 AM
You can problebly not call it OOTS Flash game either.
Being trademark and all.

Rich (the times I see this coming up anyway) seems to be of the opinion that copying is the most cincere form of compliment, but he can't let people use the characters and name since that would undermine his trademark, eventually might cause him to lose it.

Anselm
2009-05-15, 04:50 AM
That does indeed look very nice. Unfortunately, Rich has a very restrictive policy about fan-works, and will probably ask you to stop using his characters. If either obeying copyright law or respecting Rich's wishes is important to you, you'll probably need to either redo your character art or stop distributing your game.

Adulto
2009-05-15, 10:12 PM
yeah, I know that, I will change the characters design if he says that he is not pleased, but even so I don't see in what way it would prejudicate him. I send a message about this to Rich, and I am waiting and all... Ah,thx for the compliments, I really wish that all this stuff goes well and that I can post the game here.

Renegade Paladin
2009-05-15, 10:18 PM
yeah, I know that, I will change the characters design if he says that he is not pleased, but even so I don't see in what way it would prejudicate him. I send a message about this to Rich, and I am waiting and all... Ah,thx for the compliments, I really wish that all this stuff goes well and that I can post the game here.
It sucks, but it's a matter of trademark law. For some stupid reason, if the holder of a trademark permits someone to use his trademark for any purpose, he must thenceforth permit anyone to use his trademark for any purpose, including undermining his business. Or at least that's what I gather. :smallsigh:

MethosH
2009-05-16, 07:15 PM
It sucks, but it's a matter of trademark law. For some stupid reason, if the holder of a trademark permits someone to use his trademark for any purpose, he must thenceforth permit anyone to use his trademark for any purpose, including undermining his business. Or at least that's what I gather. :smallsigh:

He can still charge him for a symbolic fee... Something like... 1 dollar or something + 100% of all profit made by that game... Since this game is not planning on making any profit at all... :smalltongue:

Haven
2009-05-16, 07:24 PM
Your art is very nice! I'd suggest doing some palette swaps and changing the names, since the Giant really doesn't like this sort of thing.

Keep us updated on your progress, it looks cool.

Crimmy
2009-05-17, 02:38 PM
I'd love to try it, but then again, as all have said above, maybe Rich won't be so smiley about this.

Fri
2009-05-17, 09:33 PM
Really? What make it differs than normal oots fanart? S

Crimmy
2009-05-18, 08:13 AM
Maybe that this is not "Fanart", but more like "The original characters in a game"?

GoC
2009-05-18, 08:23 AM
Has anyone actually PMed Rich about this?:smallconfused:
Are there countries that don't recognize US trademarks?

Adulto
2009-05-18, 09:21 AM
I send him a message but he doesnt reply it... Well, I will wait anyway for his aprovation.

Bouregard
2009-05-18, 09:45 AM
Are there countries that don't recognize US trademarks?

China.

10charackters

Adulto
2009-06-03, 02:32 PM
Good news, I finalized the project (sort of : P).

There is missing animated cutscenes but all that is happening is explained in texts during the game.The game also is in portugueses (later I will post the traduction if you want)
It is like a beta, but the game is full, with all characters and bosses. I will post the game on Saturday.
See ya
XD

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-03, 03:04 PM
Good news, I finalized the project (sort of : P).

There is missing animated cutscenes but all that is happening is explained in texts during the game.The game also is in portugueses (later I will post the traduction if you want)
It is like a beta, but the game is full, with all characters and bosses. I will post the game on Saturday.
See ya
XD

If you post transcripts, somebody might volunteer to help with translation.

Lord Loss
2009-06-07, 06:15 AM
Am I looking for the game at wrong place? or are unexpected delays stopping it from being posted? Sorry if i im rushing you or somethinbg, its no problem take your time its just I hope im not at the wrong place! Sounds real cool!

Szilard
2009-06-07, 01:21 PM
Something someone else made: http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f350/abardam/stuff/ootsgame-15.swf

littlequietguy
2009-06-24, 10:48 PM
I'd bet that legally Rich can't and won't sue you. On the other hand it is important to consider his view. I guess the downside of webcomics is that the project is usually a small enough scale so that the creator notices these things. I guess that is also a good side.

Mando Knight
2009-06-24, 11:01 PM
I'd bet that legally Rich can't and won't sue you.

Never bet anything on the American justice system, especially against a person trying to exert his legal authority over his intellectual property.

Ripped Shirt Kirk
2009-06-26, 05:53 AM
Erm.... where is it?

littlequietguy
2009-06-28, 01:07 AM
Has the project fell to a last minute glitch in the programing?

Edit: Oh sorry realized that that the the other version of this thread was locked!

Sorry:smallredface:!