PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] 0-Level Wands

rokar4life
2009-05-13, 01:12 AM
how do the prices work on 0-Level Wands, because its described as 0 as far as i can tell(wand of mending specifically)

lsfreak
2009-05-13, 01:15 AM
Zero-level spells are considered 1/2 level for pricing, so such a wand would cost 375gp. There's a couple examples of such wands in the DMG.

rokar4life
2009-05-13, 01:17 AM
thanks dude, i didnt see the examples

Baalthazaq
2009-05-13, 02:28 AM
Just FYI, certain things like Mage hand, have an amulet that costs 900GP and has infinite at will charges.

Generally speaking I let my players buy any cantrip at will for 1000GP. Usually as some sort of item reflavoured.
Decanter of endless acid (Acid Splash)
Illusion Chalk (Chalk that can draw in the air, any color. Effectively chalkboard.)
Light. (A glowstick).

You get the idea.

Aquillion
2009-05-13, 02:57 AM
Generally speaking I let my players buy any cantrip at will for 1000GP. Usually as some sort of item reflavoured.
Light. (A glowstick).Man, that's a bit expensive. An Everburning Torch only costs 110 GP. And a decent-leveled cleric (or a wizard with the right spell) can make one for all of 50 GP.

ocato
2009-05-13, 04:39 AM
I would buy illusion chalk for 1000gp, I think (or Bard-haggle at least). That sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

The King frowns at you for failing to bring back the important documents when you rescued his daughter.

*draws a goofy mustache on the king and a speech bubble that says 'You saved my daughter? Goody Gumdrops! Allow me to give you a fabulous reward!'*

Superglucose
2009-05-13, 04:43 AM
I would buy illusion chalk for 1000gp, I think (or Bard-haggle at least). That sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

The King frowns at you for failing to bring back the important documents when you rescued his daughter.

*draws a goofy mustache on the king and a speech bubble that says 'You saved my daughter? Goody Gumdrops! Allow me to give you a fabulous reward!'*
*gets executed for a lack of respect*

ocato
2009-05-13, 04:44 AM
*gets executed for a lack of respect*

Ocato finds your lack of diplomacy disturbing.

If you can't draw a mustache on the king's face and get him to thank you for it, you aren't playing a bard.

DragoonWraith
2009-05-13, 06:04 AM
Ocato finds your lack of diplomacy disturbing.

If you can't draw a mustache on the king's face and get him to thank you for it, you aren't playing a bard.
I almost never quote people in my sigs, but I am sorely tempted to with this.

ocato
2009-05-13, 06:18 AM
Go for it.

Baalthazaq
2009-05-13, 10:07 AM
Man, that's a bit expensive. An Everburning Torch only costs 110 GP. And a decent-leveled cleric (or a wizard with the right spell) can make one for all of 50 GP.

Well that's because they do different things.

You're talking about a stick that gives off light. I'm talking about a stick that makes other things give off light. So you can cast it on a rock and throw it down the well for a look-see without losing your magical item.

Hell, you could even stab yourself with it and continuously cast it, meaning after a minute or so, you bleed pure light for the duration of the spell.

oxybe
2009-05-13, 10:47 AM
Hell, you could even stab yourself with it and continuously cast it, meaning after a minute or so, you bleed pure light for the duration of the spell.

you know that opens up the dashing swordsman to a "light snack" pun, should he ever get bit by a vampire.

awkward setup though.

UserClone
2009-05-13, 11:19 AM
I almost never quote people in my sigs, but I am sorely tempted to with this.

Ooo...me too?

Zeta Kai
2009-05-13, 11:32 AM
Decanter of endless acid (Acid Splash)

As a player, I'd buy that for 1,000GP. But as a DM, I'd never allow it in my game for less than 10K GP. Such a decanter is far too open to abuse.

Fun stuff, though.

Baalthazaq
2009-05-13, 12:21 PM
As a player, I'd buy that for 1,000GP. But as a DM, I'd never allow it in my game for less than 10K GP. Such a decanter is far too open to abuse.

Fun stuff, though.

If I recall correctly, I played it as an energy type not a physical substance. So pools of it would no accumulate in your bag of holding. ;)

Otherwise it's not more abusable than an adamantine dagger.

Draz74
2009-05-14, 09:57 AM
Less abusable than an adamantine dagger. After all, at least hardness still works vs. acid.

Other cantrips to note in this context:

Prestidigitation (duh) -- honestly, anyone who's rich enough and doesn't get Prestidigitation at will is an idiot (in-character). It would be more than worth it for the benefits to hygiene (and therefore long-term health) alone. Any other use (e.g. food tasting good) is just icing on the cake.

Guidance -- a +1 on all skill checks (for the whole party) outside of combat is definitely worthwhile.

Create Water -- possibly abusable with infinite access, and for a much lower price than the infamous Decanter of Endless Water.

Silent Portal -- my next stealth-loving character is definitely going to want a Use-Activated Glove of this.

Detect Poison -- for your friendly neighborhood paranoiac.

Mending -- hey, now it actually makes sense that your armor and weapons never wear out or chip after being used in battle many times!

Cure Minor Wounds -- obviously abusable with infinite access, unless the party has time constraints (or, like many adventurers I've played with, ADD).

ericgrau
2009-05-14, 10:04 AM
Using the hand of the mage as a guideline, and the item creation guidelines in general, slotless 0th level items should be 1800gp. It's the slotted ones that should cost 900 gp. And all items are subject to DM approval or repricing, to avoid possible abuse.

monty
2009-05-14, 10:05 AM
Create Water -- possibly abusable with infinite access, and for a much lower price than the infamous Decanter of Endless Water.

Not as abusable as many people seem to think, though. Sure, you can flood the dungeon with it, but it'll take three weeks of nonstop casting to do so, and do you really think the BBEG won't notice his feet getting wet before you're done?

Cure Minor Wounds -- obviously abusable with infinite access, unless the party has time constraints (or, like many adventurers I've played with, ADD).

I'd actually go the other way with this, and say it's abusable only with time constraints. In a typical dungeon crawl or similar game, infinite healing only means less downtime, because you don't have to stop and rest after every fight. Really not very broken.

d13
2009-05-14, 10:47 AM
(...)

Generally speaking I let my players buy any cantrip at will for 1000GP.

(...)

You get the idea.

Last time I checked, Cure Minor Wounds was not a cantrip :smalltongue:

It could be abused, though, if you have a party full of Warforged, and using Repair Minor Damage =/

herrhauptmann
2009-05-14, 11:40 AM
Last time I checked, Cure Minor Wounds was not a cantrip :smalltongue:

Nope, it's an orison, still 0 level, and still capable of being placed in a wand.

Stormthorn
2009-05-14, 12:06 PM
Otherwise it's not more abusable than an adamantine dagger

Wouldnt that just make your dagger harder to break?

And i think when he said cantrips he was refering to level 0 spells in general, not just arcane ones.

Malfunctioned
2009-05-14, 12:18 PM
Wouldnt that just make your dagger harder to break?

Nah, when a weapon is made out of it the weapon can ignore hardness from any object.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-14, 12:22 PM
Wouldnt that just make your dagger harder to break?Also make it penetrate Hardness. Which is very useful. I can't count the number of times I've needed to go through a Wall of Iron or something and the Greatsword just wasn't cutting it.

Draz74
2009-05-14, 12:38 PM
Not as abusable as many people seem to think, though. Sure, you can flood the dungeon with it, but it'll take three weeks of nonstop casting to do so, and do you really think the BBEG won't notice his feet getting wet before you're done?
Right, the "flood the dungeon" tactic doesn't generally work in practice. You can still find a lot of crazy uses for this spell with some creativity, though. And infinite access means people will try those tactics all the time (for a certain type of player), which means "abuse" even if it's not "broken."

(Shattering desert oasis economies ... of course, the spell can do that even with non-unlimited access. Detecting traps and pits by seeing how water drains from the corridor you're currently standing in. I'm sure people can add to this list of ways to over-use the spell ad infinum.)

I'd actually go the other way with this, and say it's abusable only with time constraints. In a typical dungeon crawl or similar game, infinite healing only means less downtime, because you don't have to stop and rest after every fight. Really not very broken.

Heh, fair enough. Let's say abusable only with moderate time constraints. (If your timing becomes too urgent, CMW becomes too slow to be worth 6 seconds.)

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-05-14, 01:16 PM
Also make it penetrate Hardness. Which is very useful. I can't count the number of times I've needed to go through a Wall of Iron or something and the Greatsword just wasn't cutting it.

:smallsigh: *groan*

While the play on terms was painful, I approve. :smalltongue:

Myrmex
2009-05-14, 07:07 PM
Man, that's a bit expensive. An Everburning Torch only costs 110 GP. And a decent-leveled cleric (or a wizard with the right spell) can make one for all of 50 GP.

Yeah, but the radius isn't great.

Coidzor
2009-05-15, 01:56 AM

Abuse, or allowing the DM to never feel like putting on the kid gloves?

Chronos
2009-05-15, 06:37 PM
Last time I checked, Cure Minor Wounds was not a cantripTo paraphrase ocato, if you can't cast Cure Minor Wounds as a cantrip, you aren't playing a bard.

monty
2009-05-15, 06:51 PM
To paraphrase ocato, if you can't cast Cure Minor Wounds as a cantrip, you aren't playing a bard.

Did they add that in a later book or something? I don't remember ever seeing it as a bard spell.

Yuki Akuma
2009-05-15, 07:13 PM
To paraphrase ocato, if you can't cast Cure Minor Wounds as a cantrip, you aren't playing a bard.

Bards don't get Cute Minor Wounds.

Which is a pity because that was hilarious. Kudos, anyway.

FMArthur
2009-05-15, 07:50 PM
Unless you're playing with the Divine Bard variant, Bards don't get Cure Minor Wounds. They do get Cure Light Wounds as a 1st-level spell, which is a significantly better deal at double the price for more than double the effectiveness.

Chronos
2009-05-16, 01:55 PM
...Huh. OK, either WotC went and changed it while I wasn't looking (including in the copies of the hardbound books I have sitting on my shelf), or they sent secret crack teams of ninja spellcasters to change my memories of it being there. Obviously, those are the only two possible explanations.