PDA

View Full Version : Wow. A D&D mention on the Science Channel?

newbDM
2009-05-15, 12:53 AM
For the geek tribute day thing coming soon did anyone else see the "Or if you have ever rolled a d12" line while some "geeks" dressed as vikings play what is obviously D&D? One is even behind a DM screen.

herrhauptmann
2009-05-15, 01:35 AM
Nope, didn't even know about it.
Do you have a link to an ad for it?

Berserk Monk
2009-05-15, 02:44 AM
Nope, didn't even know about it.
Do you have a link to an ad for it?

YES! YES! YES! Please link! Please! I want to see this!!!

Colmarr
2009-05-15, 02:47 AM
For the geek tribute day thing coming soon did anyone else see the "Or if you have ever rolled a d12" line while some "geeks" dressed as vikings play what is obviously D&D? One is even behind a DM screen.

I was about to say "But d12s are the standard dice for the Shogun boardgame!", but then I realised that knowing that fact probably places me firmly in geek territory :smallwink:

Innis Cabal
2009-05-15, 02:48 AM
I was about to say "But d12s are the standard dice for the Shogun boardgame!", but then I realised that knowing that fact probably places me firmly in geek territory :smallwink:

Further even then seeing this commercial yes

ocato
2009-05-15, 08:13 AM
I hate when people show a D&D game and everyone is dressed up. I've never been to a game where anyone dressed up. My dreams of wearing my bathrobe and pointy hat outside and hitting people with a broomstick may never be realized. :(

Project_Mayhem
2009-05-15, 08:28 AM
I hate when people show a D&D game and everyone is dressed up. I've never been to a game where anyone dressed up. My dreams of wearing my bathrobe and pointy hat outside and hitting people with a broomstick may never be realized.

I don't know anyone, larping excepted, who dresses up for dnd and the like. The closest we come is playing VtM, where all the other players wear black and dark coloured clothes, mostly in the waistcoaty style. To be fair, they do this anyway. I like to lighten the tone by wearing hawian shirts myself

Epinephrine
2009-05-15, 08:40 AM
I don't know anyone, larping excepted, who dresses up for dnd and the like. The closest we come is playing VtM, where all the other players wear black and dark coloured clothes, mostly in the waistcoaty style. To be fair, they do this anyway. I like to lighten the tone by wearing hawian shirts myself

I've known of people who "get into character", bringing along props and such.

Project_Mayhem
2009-05-15, 08:48 AM
I've known of people who "get into character", bringing along props and such.

Oh actually, we do use props for that sometimes; One player and their character always fiddles with a zippo lighter, I have a lock-knife My Gangrel locks and unlocks when he feels awkward and so forth. I just meant nobody actually dresses up. Mind you, we are poor students

Graymayre
2009-05-15, 09:20 AM
My previous party's DM knew one person that dressed up during games (I have never seen myself).

Other than that, my current party has only dressed up once... for a halloween session, and that wasn't even based on our characters. I was a TF2 medic and another masqueraded as a jedi. :smalltongue:

newbDM
2009-05-15, 10:26 AM
Sorry. I can not seem to find any videos of the commercial online.

Correction from before: It is the Science Channel proclaiming the 26th Geek Pride Day.

ObsidianRose
2009-05-15, 10:32 AM
My Unhallowed Metropolis group likes to come in Victorian steamgoth gear, but I think that's more us than the game, since we show up steampunked for Shadowrun, D&D, BESM, and Mecha.

Blackfang108
2009-05-15, 11:10 AM

So you'd be the Thomas to their Madrigal, then?

(I wonder if anyone will get this...)

It's a Dresden File joke, for those not familiar.

Thomas Raith is a Vampire who dresses very flashy.

Starscream
2009-05-15, 12:11 PM
The closest we come is playing VtM, where all the other players wear black and dark coloured clothes, mostly in the waistcoaty style. To be fair, they do this anyway.

Yeah, when I was in high school we moved to a major redneck town where geeky pastimes like D&D were unheard of. The only roleplayers were the local Goth clique, so I bought some White Wolf books and joined in.

Yes, they all wore black clothes. And mascara. And had chrome jewelery. I must have looked like a humanoid Color Spray by comparison.

RTGoodman
2009-05-15, 12:27 PM
I like to lighten the tone by wearing hawian shirts myself

Man... I knew some fellow gamers back in college that played VtM (the RPG, NOT the LARP version) and got into it with the trenchcoats/dusters, dark make-up, and all that kind of stuff, and they asked me if I wanted to try out the game sometime. I didn't have time then, but if they're still there in Fall when I go back to grad school, I'm definitely gonna do that. :smallbiggrin:

Tengu_temp
2009-05-15, 01:42 PM
I hate when people show a D&D game and everyone is dressed up. I've never been to a game where anyone dressed up. My dreams of wearing my bathrobe and pointy hat outside and hitting people with a broomstick may never be realized. :(

Aside from the fact that I almost exclusively do PbP, many of my players are guys playing female PCs - I'd appreciate if they didn't dress up as their characters.

Starscream
2009-05-15, 01:54 PM
Aside from the fact that I almost exclusively do PbP, many of my players are guys playing female PCs - I'd appreciate if they didn't dress up as their characters.

Easily arranged. Or haven't you heard of Talya's Vow of Nudity (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45529)?

Olo Demonsbane
2009-05-15, 02:46 PM
*shudders*

Crow
2009-05-15, 07:17 PM
The only dressing up I do is to put on my "NPC; Ask me about our Chainmail and Broadsword sale!" shirt. It's a tradition for when I DM.

Tengu_temp
2009-05-15, 08:33 PM
Easily arranged. Or haven't you heard of Talya's Vow of Nudity (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45529)?

Indeed I have, I've built a Winston Churchill clone who used this feat. But why do you assume we even play DND?

Knaight
2009-05-15, 09:17 PM
Probably because its the most popular by a long shot, and this forum has a lot of people who know how it works well (due to Order of the Stick using it). I personally dislike it, but people like me are in the minority here.

ocato
2009-05-15, 09:27 PM
On this forum, you should probably specify if you aren't talking 3.5 D&D. It's by far the popular selection.

Tortoise262
2009-05-15, 09:45 PM

I've never cosplayed along with D&D either, but when I was in college, my roommates and I did wear bathrobes while playing D&D.

Xuincherguixe
2009-05-16, 01:22 AM
On this forum, you should probably specify if you aren't talking 3.5 D&D. It's by far the popular selection.

I don't see that it's necessary. By this point, I'd expect that most posters realize that there are games other than D&D.

That, and D&D is also probably the most popular and unpopular game at the same too now that I think about it. (I'm not talking about versions either)

kpenguin
2009-05-16, 01:52 AM
That's weird. I thought Nerd/Geek Pride Day was the 25th of May, not the 26th,

Thurbane
2009-05-16, 02:04 AM
I've never cosplayed along with D&D either, but when I was in college, my roommates and I did wear bathrobes while playing D&D.
A couple weeks back, we all turned up for the game in bath robes/dressing gowns, but that was an inside joke at the expense of one of the guys who did so the week before. :smalltongue: