PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Domain Granted Power -> Feat?

Kosjsjach
2009-05-15, 02:43 PM
Hey all. I'd like some help.

I have in my head an idea for a character: a middle-aged cloistered cleric ex-ninja shadowbane stalker with Vow of Poverty :smallbiggrin:. I'm undecided on my second domain, but I get Knowledge for free, and Trickery gets me Disguise Self and Invisibility, which are sweet especially because I can't use magic items. (Nobody will suspect the seemingly-drunken hobo! :smallamused:) My problem is thus.

I don't really want the Granted Powers from either the Trickery or Knowledge domains (I get the skills in Trickery from the ninja level and Able Learner, and I don't need access to all Knowledge skills). I've read in various posts (mostly in archives) of PCs trading in their Granted Powers for feats. I've never seen a source mentioned. When I asked Lord Lorac Sylvanos (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=11206), he pointed me to Domain feats in Complete Champion.

Where is the rule that lets one trade domain powers for feats?
Are they restricted to Domain feats?
Where does it say in Complete Champion that I can just swap the power for the feat?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me. (I'm also open to suggestions as to which domain to take last :smallsmile:)

Narmoth
2009-05-15, 04:21 PM
page 53, 2nd paragraph. Still, you give up granted power for domain feat, not just any feat.

Curmudgeon
2009-05-15, 05:55 PM
Still, you give up granted power for domain feat, not just any feat. It's more than that. You give up everything from the domain -- including the domain spells -- to get the domain feat instead. Kosjsjach, you're trying to cherry-pick parts of class abilities. That's just too powerful.

Kosjsjach
2009-05-16, 01:42 AM
page 53, 2nd paragraph. [...]
I found it, thanks!

...well damn.

*sigh* I should've figured it wouldn't work. Oh well. Serves me right for, as Curmudgeon said, cherry-picking.
I guess now I'm just looking for good domains, then. It's a shame; I really liked the Trickery spell list, but I didn't gain any benefit from the granted power.

Anyone have suggestions for domains for a hobo-cleric? I'd rather not take the Divine Magician feat to make my own arcane-based pseudo-domain, and he can't use magic items (including scrolls or wands; Vow of Poverty is still worth it IMO), but being able to look like something other than an unwashed drifter would be nice. I could always just max out Disguise, but it hurts when there's a 1st-level spell with a 10min/level duration that accomplishes the same thing and more. :smallfrown:

Again, he's a human (bonus feat) middle-aged (for the boosts to mental stats) cloistered cleric (for the extra skill points, mostly; he can't wear armor anyway) with a level of ninja (for prereqs to Shadowbane Stalker and Wis to AC) and Vow of Poverty (holy cow).

(Sourcebooks used: Complete Adventurer, Book of Exalted Deeds, Unearthed Arcana [SRD])

Curmudgeon
2009-05-16, 04:33 AM
Anyone have suggestions for domains for a hobo-cleric?
Travel is generally pretty good, and Travel Devotion (as a swap) is perhaps even better to get you out of trouble in a hurry. I compiled a fairly large list of domains here (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/JHtB/domains.html).

Kosjsjach
2009-05-16, 10:34 AM
Wow, that is a fantastic list. It's great to be able to see which spells you're gaining that you wouldn't otherwise be able to.
I'm still on the fence, but this'll definitely help. Thanks!

Chronos
2009-05-16, 01:44 PM
I compiled a fairly large list of domains here.Minor error: You have Commerce listed as granting access to Knowledge (nature), instead of Appraise.

Very useful list, though!

Curmudgeon
2009-05-16, 03:59 PM
Minor error: You have Commerce listed as granting access to Knowledge (nature), instead of Appraise. Fixed; thanks for the correction. There may be a couple more cut-and-paste errors, and I'd appreciate having them pointed out to me as well. It would also be great to have some shout outs here, or PMs to me, with any other (official WotC) domains and their most recent source books. I have quite a few of the 3.5 source books and I can also borrow others if I know what to look for.

Triaxx
2009-05-16, 08:40 PM
Travel is always a good choice, and so is Luck. Healing might be helpful if you get into a lot of bum fights, or just want to play Messiah. Chaos might be fun if you're an insane hobo. Animal might be good for a Messianic hobo as well.

Or you could play Hancock and grab Travel and Strength.

Then again, if he's a killer, then Death Domain might be right up your alley.

Myrmex
2009-05-16, 10:10 PM
If he's a lich with aspirations for urban planning, the Planning domain and Undeath give you two thirds of the feats needed for divine metamagic persistent spell.

Kosjsjach
2009-05-16, 11:32 PM
I know I've deviated from the original topic of this thread; I thank you for continuing to help me out anyway.

I'm aiming for the Shadowbane Stalker PrC from Complete Adventurer (mostly because the prereqs meshed with my ascetic-cleric-ninja idea).

These are the domains I'm leaning towards, feel free to tell me how stupid I'm being:

The Trickery domain, and trading Healing for the Healing Devotion feat.
He still doesn't get any benefit from the granted power of Trickery, but disguise self, invisibility et al. just seem too good to pass up when social interaction is emphasized and magic items are forbidden. Hmm, although he can still receive spells from companions from potions, scrolls or wands...
The "forbidden from using magic items"-thing hinders his capacity as a heal-bot, but IMO the Healing Devotion trade fills that gap perfectly. In conjunction with Touch of Healing, his party should never have a hit-point deficiency problem.

Travel still looks sweet (in both forms). Death, Undeath and Chaos don't mesh at all with the PrC concept, unfortunately (Shadowbane Stalker requires LG alignment, for one thing).

Is there something awesome I'm overlooking?
Am I making a mistake choosing the Trickery domain?

dariathalon
2009-05-17, 10:32 PM
I would check out the celerity domain if you haven't done so yet. I've created a bit of a hobo cleric and used trickery and celerity as his two domains. I'm not nearly as concerned with overall character power as you seem to be, but I don't think it is a bad choice either way.

Devils_Advocate
2009-05-17, 11:40 PM
Anyone have suggestions for domains for a hobo-cleric?
I was gonna suggest Hunger, but that seems to be largely about ghouls.

aivanther
2010-07-10, 04:54 PM
My suggestions for feats: Travel, Spell (anyspell is just to awesome), Celerity, Magic, and Time.

If you want a decent rundown of most/all the domains, the Sovereign Speaker guide is pretty good: Domains for you (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=8903ia58qhue960uf6s683lnt0&topic=3927.0)