PDA

View Full Version : Lovecraftian adjective listing

Tsotha-lanti
2009-05-15, 04:22 PM
One of the older editions of Call of Cthulhu had a page or four of Lovecraftian words (I think it was adjectives only). My book is 5.5, and has no such list that I can find.

So I need help. If I'm just not finding that list in 5.5, can someone give me a page reference? Failing that, is it available online somewhere? And failing that, can someone give me editions and page numbers for versions of the book that do have the list?

Pretty please!

Tengu_temp
2009-05-15, 04:29 PM
Do you plan your CoC game to become unintentionally hilarious?

Moriato
2009-05-15, 04:56 PM

Planning the unintentional does seem like a very Lovecraftian thing to do.

EDIT: Closest thing I could find to a list of Lovecraftian words online was this: http://pa-rocks-ramble.blogspot.com/2008/06/lovecraft-words.html
Only about 30 or so but maybe a good start.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-05-15, 05:15 PM

Keeper for 10+ years. Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

Armoury99
2009-05-15, 05:17 PM
Its not exactly what you're after, but HP Lovecraft Quotes (http://www.amk.ca/quotations/hp-lovecraft/)has plenty of cyclopean badinage and its only about 1d6 SAN loss per page :smallsmile:

EDIT: Looking at teh post above, you probably know these off by heart! I think the edition you're refer to is 3rd, if that helps.

Swordguy
2009-05-15, 06:18 PM
It's horrendously depressing that, after copy-pasting the (wonderful!) resources in the given links into MS Word, the automatic spell-check basically went berserk.

People don't appreciate fine language anymore.

Worira
2009-05-15, 10:22 PM
Gribbly
Yucky
Icky
Eww-inducing
Mindfabulating
Bllaarrgish

chiasaur11
2009-05-15, 11:26 PM
Gribbly
Yucky
Icky
Eww-inducing
Mindfabulating
Bllaarrgish

Too few syllables.

The_Snark
2009-05-15, 11:29 PM
It's horrendously depressing that, after copy-pasting the (wonderful!) resources in the given links into MS Word, the automatic spell-check basically went berserk.

I don't know, it seems sort of apropos given the subject material...

Salt_Crow
2009-05-16, 03:51 AM
The word 'Singular' should be on top of the list unless it's alphabetically ordered. Even then it'd have to have a special section devoted to its use! XD

bosssmiley
2009-05-16, 05:19 AM
Squamous
Nighted
Non-Euclidean
Penguin-fringed :smallconfused:

RTGoodman
2009-05-16, 12:00 PM
Neil Gaiman's "Shoggoth's Old Peculiar" particularly mentions/parodies squamous, batrachian, and gibbous, plus a few others, I think. Great short story if you haven't read it.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-16, 12:16 PM
Tentacled
3:

Faulty
2009-05-16, 12:33 PM
Q'zhaflatrish.

The Manly Man
2009-05-16, 12:44 PM
Squiddy............

Tsotha-lanti
2009-05-16, 12:46 PM
Y'all are no help.

So nobody has older editions of the CoC book?

Zeta Kai
2009-05-16, 12:59 PM
Anyone emulating Lovecraft without using the word "cyclopean" isn't worth listening to. "Aeons" & "grotesque" are obligatory, as well.

For a great overview of a Lovecraftian-styled tale, play Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. It nails the spirit of the cosmic horror genre.

RTGoodman
2009-05-16, 01:06 PM
So nobody has older editions of the CoC book?

Actually, I forgot that I picked up the 4th Edition of it several months ago at the used bookstore, but I just saw it on my shelf. It does, in fact, have the "Sanity Quiz," which lists a TON of Lovecraftian words on pp. 186-187.

EDIT: Here you go.

Warning: As the CoC book says, if you read this whole list, you should roll for a D3 Sanity loss.

Aberrant, abominable, absurd, abysmal, acidic, adhesive, airy, alien, ambiguous, amorphous, anarchic, ancient, angular, animated, animalistic, anomalous, antediluvian, appalling, appendaged, ashen, askew, astounding, atrocious, awry;

Baboon-like, baleful, baneful, bankrupt, barbarous, beastly, bellowing, bilious, blasphemous, bleating, bloated, bloodshot, blubbery, boiling, brutish, bug-eyed, bulbous;

Cackling, cadaverous, cancerous, cellular, changeable, chattering, coarse, colossal, colorless, chaotic, confusing, congealed, conical, convoluted, corpulent, corpse-like, corrupt, creamy, criminal, croaking, crystalline, cylindrical;

Dank, dark, dazzling, deafening, deathless, debased, debauched, delirious, decomposing, deformed, degenerate, degraded, delirious, depraved, deranged, detestable, deviant, diabolical, diffuse, dire, discordant, diseased, disfigured, disgusting, dislocated, disordered, dissolved, distorted, dreadful, dropping, effervescent;

Effusive, elastic, endless, enlarged, enormous, enveloping, evasive, exaggerated, excruciating, extended;

Fabulous, faceless, fantastic, fearful, fecund, festering, fetid, fibrous, flowing, fiendish, fiery, filthy, fish-like, flabby, fluctuating, fluid, foaming, foul, fractured, fragrant, frantic, furious, fungous;

Gangrenous, ghastly, gigantic, gargantuan, gibbering, globular, gnashing, glutinous, gory, grasping, grayfish, greenish, grim, grisly, gross, gushing;

Hairy, hapless, hallucinatory, hateful, hazy, heaving, hellish, hideous, hissing, horned, horrible, howling, huge, hybrid, ichorous, idiotic, illogical, immaterial, immense, immoral, incoherent, incomplete, incongruous, incredible, indistinct, infected, infernal, infested, inhuman, insane, insipid, irrational, irregular, iridescent;

Jabbering, jaded, jangling, jaundiced, jellified, jumbled, jutting;

Kleptomaniacal;

Leprous, limp, liquefied, loathsome, lumbering, luminescent, lumpy, lunatic, lurking;

Mad, maggoty, malevolent, malicious, malignant, massive, membranous, menacing, mesmerizing, metallic, mildewed, mindless, miscarried, moaning, molten, monstrous, monumental, morbid, mortifying, mottled, mouldering, mucky, mucous, murmuring, mutilated;

Nagging, nameless, nauseous, nearsighted, nebulous, necromantic, noiseless, nonsensical, noxious, numbing;

Obscene, obsequious, octopoid, odious, odorous, oily, ominous, oozing, organic, outlandish, oval, overgrown, overripe;

Quavering, queasy, quiescent, quivering;

Pagan, pale, pallid, palpitating, palsied, parasitic, pasty, peculiar, perfidious, perverse, phlegmatic, pitiless, plastic, pliable, poisonous, porous, pregnant, prodigious, profane, profuse, pronged, protoplasmic, protuberant, prurient, pseudopoidal, puckered, pudding-like, pulsating, pustular, putrid;

Radiant, rainbowed, rectangular, reeking, remorseless, repellent, reprehensible, reptilian, repugnant, repulsive, resplendent, restless, rheumy, rigid, rough, rubbery, rugose;

Sacrilegious, sallow, sanguine, scabby, scaly, screaming, scummy, seething, senseless, sepulchral, shadow, shiny, shrieking, shuffling, sickly, sightless, sinewy, singular, skeletal, sleepless, slimy, slippery, slithering, slobbering, sluggish, solemn, sordid, soundless, spectral, spherical, sponge-like, stagnant, sticky, stupefying, stupendous, sulphurous, syrupy;

Teeming, tentacle, terrible, thickening, thrashing, throbbing, transformed, transparent, tubular, tumultuous, turbid, turbulent;

Ugly, ultimate, unclean, uncouth, undigested, ungainly, unknown, unmasked, unripe, unseen, unspeakable, unutterable;

Vague, vaporous, vast, vibrating, vile, viperous, viscous, vivid, voluminous, vomiting;

Wailing, wan, warped, waxen, webbed, wet, whirling, withered, wormy, worm-eaten, wretched, writhing;

Xenophobic;

Yammering;

Zodiacal, zymotic

Worira
2009-05-16, 03:40 PM
Pagan and effervescent? Not only is the monster fizzy, it's not even a Christian!

chiasaur11
2009-05-16, 03:46 PM
Huh.

Apparently, I gained one point of sanity from reading that list.

I blame "Kleptomaniacal" myself.

Which, oddly, the spell check refuses to recognize.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-05-16, 03:49 PM
Here you go.

Awesome! Thank you! That's just the list I wanted.

Xuincherguixe
2009-05-16, 04:49 PM
Pagan and effervescent? Not only is the monster fizzy, it's not even a Christian!

It's utterly blasphemous!

Tsotha-lanti
2009-05-16, 05:05 PM
Penguin-fringed :smallconfused:

That must have been one of the shoggoths in AtMoM.

Tekili-li!

chiasaur11
2009-05-16, 05:28 PM
It's utterly blasphemous!

Well, at least it has the decency to worship Thor.

MickJay
2009-05-16, 05:38 PM
I find it incredible that "blasphemous" appeared only in 18th post, in the large list, I had expected it to be in the second or third post :smallbiggrin:

Random NPC
2009-05-16, 06:09 PM
I find it incredible that "blasphemous" appeared only in 18th post, in the large list, I had expected it to be in the second or third post :smallbiggrin:

I find it appalling that nobody has said "Eldritch". Not even the freaking list! :smallannoyed:

Zeta Kai
2009-05-16, 07:48 PM
I find it appalling that nobody has said "Eldritch". Not even the freaking list! :smallannoyed:

Oooh, yeah. "Eldritch" is pure Lovecraft.

Asheram
2009-05-16, 07:53 PM
squamous, batrachian, and gibbous
That sounds more Lewis Carroll, which I personally finds more frightening than H.P.Lovecraft. Oh, If those men had met...