PDA

View Full Version : I am a sexy employed god of wage!

Stormthorn
2009-05-15, 09:04 PM
I finaly got a real job. Not a great real job but a real one.

So, tell me about yor first jobs.

KnightDisciple
2009-05-15, 09:07 PM
Grats!

My first post-grad job was a contract Helpdesk guy.

Silence
2009-05-15, 09:41 PM
I'm yet to get my first job, but I'll probably be doing landscaping over the summer.

wadledo
2009-05-15, 09:43 PM
Now, you see, if you had gotten a job at a shoe store, you could have written:
I'm a sexy employed god of shoes!
Which would have been funny.

Jack Squat
2009-05-15, 09:47 PM
I'm still doing my first job - working at a grocery store. I've been for going on 4 years.

I've also done work involving glass and mirrors in construction/renovation. (as well as shelving and bathroom/shower hardware).

Also mowed lawns around the neighborhood and did fix-it-up stuff, but I'm not counting that as it was all under-the-table.

OwlbearUltimate
2009-05-16, 01:57 AM
I just got my first job too, it's one of the worst in town, but its paying for plane tickets so w/e. Speaking of which, I have to be at it in 8 hours :/

Edit: It's bagging groceries.

skywalker
2009-05-16, 02:23 AM
I'm jealous of all the employed people... My first job was working at the video store. It was pretty fun. I still have a lot of the stuff I got free from there!

Evil DM Mark3
2009-05-16, 02:33 AM
I am yet to be employed, but all being well I will be on a PGCE next academic year, then being a teacher.

Pyrian
2009-05-16, 03:25 AM
My first job was programming in Turbo Pascal, of all things. I barely even remember the Pascal language, now. Nothing left but a dim recollection of "begin" and "end" where "{" and "}" belong. :smalltongue:

dish
2009-05-16, 07:20 AM
My first proper job (as in, it came with a wage slip) was working as a care assistant in an old folks home.

My first proper full-time job (as in, not a weekend or holiday job for extra money, but the job I was using to pay the rent and bills) was waitressing & bar-tending in a cafe/bar.

My first proper professional job was teaching.

I am yet to be employed, but all being well I will be on a PGCE next academic year, then being a teacher.
Cool! Which kind of PGCE: primary or secondary? Subject/speciality?

InaVegt
2009-05-16, 07:44 AM
I'm a profesional university student, what better job could I want?

Sure, my income might not be that great (about 800 EUR/month, after tax [about 1050 USD at current exchange rates.]), but it's enough. My travel expenses are covered, and this is a path to better paying jobs once this one ends.

adanedhel9
2009-05-16, 08:45 AM
My very first (part time) job was delivering clean linens to the various departments in a hospital. It was actually kinda fun, and it definately kept me in shape (the hospital had 9 floors, and we were told to use the stairs whenever possible so as to not tie up the elevators). And I made more than most of my friends with typical teenager jobs in the food service industry.

I'm approaching my 3rd anniversery at my first profession job, developing IVRs (eg when you call your bank and a machine answers "To check your balance, press one..."). I really like this job - I love the field and the challenges of this position are ever-varying.

In between, I've held three student positions: back room at the university cafeteria, Computer Science teacher's assistant, and Computer Science research assistant.

afroakuma
2009-05-16, 09:19 AM
My first job was heinous: gofer in a "greasy spoon." I was hired to work for the adjoining pizza outlet, but since they shared a building and owners, they sent me to staff the diner. "On-the-job training" consisted of running around and being shouted at for not already knowing the answers.

I was there for a few weeks before they decided to fire me in favor of rehiring the guy they'd actually trained before - he did a half-baked job and they knew it, but apparently knowing where the shed key is is more valuable than cleaning the plates.

Anyways, my second job I didn't get until a year and a half later, but now I'm an inbound agent at a call center. Been here for two years, and I consider this my real first job.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-05-16, 09:22 AM
I did various jobs in high school and college. The one I had the longest was "laborer" in an ice factory. The job included chopping at loose ice to keep it flowing down a chute, then filling bags varying in size up to 40 pounds which we then stapled shut and stacked on pallets, wrapped the pallets and put them on a truck. That job was great for building upper body strength. It was also there that I discovered what panic feels like. I'm pretty calm even in dangerous situations, but that time we had an ammonia leak at the ice factory and we were running to get out... I felt the primitive parts of the brain take over. Pretty scary.

I also learned from one of my high school jobs that it's best to check the prevailing winds when shoveling half-dry manure.

Since graduating college I've been in the military. Someday I'll have to put together a resume and apply for a normal job like everyone else, though.

Syka
2009-05-16, 09:41 AM
I'm jealous of all the employed people... My first job was working at the video store. It was pretty fun. I still have a lot of the stuff I got free from there!

My first job was also a video store, Movie Gallery to be specific. I've got a ton of posters, movie 'slips' (basically mini posters that we put where the rental would be), those strips they use to tell you what movies are being released when, etc that I got free, in addition to the dozen plus movies I bought and the 600+ movies I rented for free during my 15 months there.

I still call that the best job ever. I loved the people I worked with, I loved my customers, I loved the perks (free rentals and renting movies before they officially come out? win!). If I hadn't left for school and that location hadn't closed down (it was about 4 blocks from where I lived) I'd probably still be there.

I'm currently on my second real job working at Walgreens. I still like the people I work with decently (not like before), the customers are a lot more aloof here, the shifts are longer, but I always have something to do (not so at the other place), the pay is better, the hours are better, and the experiences there are going to be more transferable to other retail jobs.

I am a college graduate still working a nearly minimum wage retail job...no professional work under my belt. :smallsigh:

Lady Tialait
2009-05-16, 10:05 AM
Oh my, that was beyond an epic story.

I was working in the new paper industry. I was working as a newspaper ad inserter (Yeah, woo, but it paid..something). My best friend worked with me, about this time I also had gotten my first place with him (I'm always friends with guys more then chicks.) We worked at night from 11 pm. till 7 am.. Then we went home, and played games for hours and hours. Doing little else but gaming.

The story goes on and on about gaming, but that is just silly. The short version of the story goes.

I had a crappy night job, but I had awesome day gaming....only problem was no sleep.

wxdruid
2009-05-16, 08:54 PM
My first job was a Rocky Mountain Newspaper carrier. The sad thing is, the newspaper just went out of business recently and it makes me feel old. I did that for I don't know how many years.

The next job I had was a clerical worker/helper for a podiatrist. I never ever want to be a podiatrist (and I doubt I ever will be).

While I was in college I worked in the dining hall for four years, then I worked temp jobs after college before I joined the Air Force. I worked in Finance (Accounts Payable) for 3 years before cross training into Weather and I have never looked back.

MethosH
2009-05-16, 09:08 PM
My first job was at place called "Pizza Planet" (no, not the one from toystory) and only lasted for 1 day.

toasty
2009-05-16, 11:10 PM
I've never had a proper paying job before.

Though I volunteer at my church a ton. I don't get paid for it though.

Xallace
2009-05-16, 11:28 PM
My first job was as a Banquet Houseman at a hotel. Set up rooms for events, clean said rooms, cater to clients in matters of menial labor, and sometimes do maintenance or housekeeping's jobs for no extra pay!

Good times.

Stormthorn
2009-05-16, 11:36 PM
I bet you all saw this coming but...

Im tired. My feet are killing me. 8 hours (with 1 minute of overtime) on my feet for the first time on a Saturday. On the hottest day yet this year in our area, in an outdoor food shack-sorta-thing.

We call it Lunchwagon 7.

Syka
2009-05-16, 11:57 PM
I bet you all saw this coming but...

Im tired. My feet are killing me. 8 hours (with 1 minute of overtime) on my feet for the first time on a Saturday. On the hottest day yet this year in our area, in an outdoor food shack-sorta-thing.

We call it Lunchwagon 7.

Stretch before work. Simple leg and back stretches, they help TREMENDOUSLY. I didn't believe how much until I started them this week (I've been doing 8 hour shifts 5 days a week the past 2 months basically and have mostly gotten back into the "Standing for 1/3 of the day" routine again) and my lower back and legs hurt a lot less. Nothing other than insoles can really help your feet, though.

RTGoodman
2009-05-16, 11:57 PM
I am a college graduate still working a nearly minimum wage retail job...no professional work under my belt. :smallsigh:

Heh, well, you're kinda lucky - I graduated in May '08 and have YET to find a job that has normal wages and such.

I've worked for the last 4 years as an instructor for my old high school's band program, and as kinda the assistant director and front ensemble tech for the indoor percussion ensemble.

I'm also a substitute teacher by day, whenever they choose to call me. Which hasn't happened in about 2 weeks. :smallannoyed: I am working for a friend of mine that's a real teacher from Friday to the next Friday while he goes on his honeymoon, though.

I'm heading back to grad school in the Fall, but they can't offer me an assistantship or anything because of budget cuts - I'm hoping to get a work-study type thing at the Library, though.

oreganoe
2009-05-17, 06:59 PM
My first job was working at concerts, doing different things. Mostly I directed traffic (by the way, taxis and limousines have earned a long-lasting resentment from me) and I've sold t-shirts and other merchandise. Long long days for a uncertain paycheck. But it was alright.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-05-17, 07:00 PM
Cool! Which kind of PGCE: primary or secondary? Subject/speciality?Secondary Chemistry.

Faulty
2009-05-17, 07:10 PM
Box office assistant at a theatre company. I took calls, filled out orders, printed and handed out tickets, and when there was nothing else to do, people around the office got me to do things like take the mail to the post office or clean the windows. :smallbiggrin: Paid just above minimum wage, but when the show on wasn't super popular, I didn't have to do much until an hour before the show started and got paid for hanging out at the bar and taking to the bar tender while drinking free cups of soda.

potatocubed
2009-05-18, 01:54 AM
My first job was a library assistant every Saturday, and it was great. I would go home with a literal sack of books every weekend.

My first post-university job was being a data entry monkey for a bank in Scotland. The pay was crap and I hated it, but I stuck it out for two years - which was about 23 months longer than I should have done - because I thought that was what employment was like.

Having had several better jobs since then, I now know differently.

Thajocoth
2009-05-18, 02:11 AM
My first... Hmm... I believe I explained to people how to use their software in exchange for money. My first working for someone else would be back in early high school as phone tech support for a crappy ISP.

Berserk Monk
2009-05-18, 02:17 AM
You are not a sexy employed god of wage. You are a mildly attractive unemployed demigod of goat cheese. Now conjure me up some dairy products!

Quincunx
2009-05-18, 05:47 AM
I worked at a fabric store, insane good fortune to get the job since I'd only been hanging around it for a year at that point. The running joke was wondering which among us actually brought home any of her pay in money instead of merchandise. In fact, last year I finally found a use for some of the buttons I'd bought, stashed, and carried with me for. . .er. . .twelve years.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-05-18, 05:36 PM
I worked at a cafe with a bunch of stoners, beer on tap and no managerial supervision :smallbiggrin: ahh, good times!

Now I bartend a few random nights a week although it isn't as much fun... I just try to keep up with the orders and don't get to talk to customers very much anymore.

Also trying to land a job at one of the local hospitals as an orderly.

Oh, and I'm in school doing psych.

Copacetic
2009-05-18, 07:56 PM
Just applied for a Junior Counselor position at the local pool. For those unfamiliar with Summer Camps, Junior Counselor's are to Counselor as Freshmen are to Seniors. For those unfamiliar with the American High school system, I'm basically an unpaid laborer with the knowledge tha I probably have a job come next year. :smallbiggrin: