PDA

View Full Version : Building a one handed melee character

DragonKnight
2009-05-16, 12:46 AM
Not one handed as in only one arm, lol.

Frankly, I don't like dual-wielding, in my mind it doesn't work that way. This character isn't going to be as optimal as possible, so no worries there. I've played it once before, and it worked out very nice. Crit build, did almost 200 damage at level 15 with three crits in a single round. I know a wizard can do that at levels below that probably, but anyway. The class I use is a home-brewed ninja from the Fax home-brew.

The DM for the first time I ran this build let me take a full base attack bonus if I only used one weapon. New DM said no, ninjas and rogues and such are supposed to have 3/4 base attack bonus. No worries, DM makes the rules right? Just wondering, if anyone knew of feats that make fighting using a single weapon better than dual-wielding. I've read on einhander, so I repeat the question, I want a good feat, lol. Either a feat or if someone has heard of, or run with, a home-brew ability that enhanced a melee character for only using a single weapon would be greatly appreciated.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-16, 12:51 AM
Generally, you want at least a shield in your off-hand. Or a Defending dagger or something. If you absolutely want one-handed, ToB does it best. If you absolutely must be a Rogue or worse, Ninja, there is a set of feats in the Homebrew section specifically for one-handers.

celtois
2009-05-16, 10:16 AM
I wrote up a pdf on this, based off my forum post. It's a massive feat chain for einhanders. I'll try and find it for you.

Here

Einhander feats,

Precision:

when fighting einhanded* your accuracy improves
making it easier for you to land telling blows.
Prerequisite: bab +1

Benefit: when fighting einhanded* increase your critical threat
range by 2. Ie from 20-20 to 18-20.

special: this does NOT stack with improved critical or keen nor do anything else that increases your critical hit range or multiplier except other feats in this chain

Improved Precision

Your training as a einhanded* fighter increases making it even easier to land telling blows

Prerequisite: Bab +4 , Precision

Benefit: when fighting einhanded* increase your critical threat range by an additional 2
ie 18-20 to 16-20

special: this does NOT stack with improved critical or keen nor do anything else that increases your critical hit range or multiplier except other feats in this chain

Greater Precision

By training to know how you can deal the most accurate hits you've figured
out where to hit them so it counts.

Prerequisites: Bab +8, Precision, Improved Precision

Benefit: When fighting einhanded* increase your critical hit multiplier by one.
ie 16-20 *2 too 16-20 *3

Excellent Precision

Your extensive training has made it very easy to hit vital areas when fighting einhanded*

Prerequisites: Bab +12, Precision, Improved Precision, Greater Precision

Benefits: When fighting einhanded* increase your critical threat range by an additional 2
ie 16-20 *3 to 14-20 *3

Einhanders Finesse:

Your training as a einhanded fighter has helped you hit more accurately

Prerequisites: Dex 15+, Bab +2

Benefits: When fighting einhanded* add your dex bonus to hit instead of your strength bonus

Einhanders Accuracy:

Your training allows you to use your speed to hit your opponent more accurately allowing you to do more damage.

Prerequisites: Dex 17+,+9 Bab, Einhanders Finesse

Benefits: When fighting einhanded* add your dex bonus to damage instead of your strength.

Narrow Profile

When you fight einhanded you make turn your body so less of you is exposed

Prerequisite: Int 13 Dex 15

Benefit: When Fighting einhanded* and fighting defensively add your dex as a shield bonus to your ac

Einhand Specialization:

Prerequisite: none

Benefit: Gain a +1 to hit when fighting einhanded*
and you don't need the improved unarmed strike feat
to take Deflect arrows or catch arrows.

Sidestep:

Prerequisite: Dex 15

Benefit:When fighting einhanded*, Once per round you may make a reflex save for this save roll a d20 add your reflex save + your wis mod or 1/2 your level which ever is higher against your opponents attack roll success indicates that your avoid your opponents attack and thus it misses. Failure indicates that if the attack hits is calculated, against your flatfooted ac.

Improved Sidestep

Prerequisite: Dex 17, Sidestep

Benefit:when fighting einhanded* you may sidestep a number of times per round equal to your dex bonus.

Flanked Sidestep: Skill Trick

Prerequisite: Sidestep, 5 ranks in tumble

Benefit: When fighting einhanded*When your successfully sidestep an attack made by a flanking foe. their attack is instead made against who ever is providing their flanking bonus's flatfooted AC

Legendary Einhander:

Prerequisite: Bab +15, Einhand Specialization, Precision, Improved Precision, Greater Precision, Excellent Precision

Benefit: When fighting einhanded* for all critical hits you make force the person or monster hit by it to make a fort save equal
to 10+1/4 of the damage dealt by the critical hit or die.

*einhanded
this means fighting with a weapon in one hand and with nothing in your off hand

Other Fighter Feats

Combat Initiative:

Prerequisites: Improved Initiative, 20 dex

Benefit: When you go first in combat (act before anyone else) you may make an extra standard or move action

Lunge:

Prerequisites: Bab +2

Benefit: Once per round you may make one of your attack as if your reach was 5ft longer. You may use this for Aoo or the like.

Tengu_temp
2009-05-16, 01:27 PM
Personally, I'd allow wielding a non-light weapon in one hand and nothing in the other to count as wielding it in two hands.

DaltonTrigger
2009-05-16, 01:36 PM
Also keep in mind that an empty hand makes it more viable to quickly have access to items you need. A character with sword and shield, or two weapons, needs to re-sheath something in order to reach for potions and wands, or to pick up anything nearby. Play your character smart, come equipped with magical items you can grab in your off-hand, see if there's any environmental hazards you can spring on your foes with your off-hand, etc.