PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] One-For-One Power Attack: Worth It?

Bulwer
2009-05-16, 05:48 PM
I'm statting up a Fencer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109754), a homebrew class, and I'll be using a single one-handed weapon in one hand. No, don't try to talk me out of it.

Is it worth taking Power Attack if all I'm getting out of it is 1 damage per point of AB lost? I've got two other sources of extra damage: xd4 precision damage, as well as a bunch of fun AoO stuff from the class.

Random NPC
2009-05-16, 05:55 PM
Short answer...

Not really worth it.

For the long answer I need to go and scavenge for all of the Power Attack threads where they mathematically prove that Power Attack unless doing the jump attack/pounce strategy, or the mounted charge attack, it's not really worth taking.

Eldariel
2009-05-16, 06:15 PM
For the long answer I need to go and scavenge for all of the Power Attack threads where they mathematically prove that Power Attack unless doing the jump attack/pounce strategy, or the mounted charge attack, it's not really worth taking.

That is, two-handed Power Attack is worth it. Even without any other feats, it's generally 3-4 points of damage. And occasionally much more. And that's without Shock Trooper, Leap Attack and so on. But one-handed? The fact that you don't gain as much damage means you need to be losing practically nothing for it to be worth it.

This Power Attack Calculator (http://direpress.bin.sh/tools/power.html) might come in handy. It's easy to show that a level 10 Fighter/Barbarian/whatever full BAB class, especially with a few buffs, easily wants to PA for 3-5 practically every hit. One-handed though, not so much. Any improvements To Hit add to the value of PA and all penalties (such as TWF) detract from it.

But yeah, level 10 Fighter with +7 Str (18 start, +2 levels, +4 item), +3 weapon (Greater Magic Weapon with Beads of Karma), 10 BAB and +2 generic [charge/flank/higher ground/boosts/whatever) (so +22 To Hit, 2d6+3 Magic+10 Str [THF]+2d6 Holy base damage, Haste in effect [Boots of Speed]), attacking a Fire Giant (AC 23) PAs most efficiently for 1-3 gaining almost 5 points of average damage from PA 3. Switch to one-handed weapon though and you gain mere 2 points, and that's with PA for 1.

Obviously, if he doesn't happen to have a Holy weapon, the optimal PA becomes higher. And the more buffs he's got on, the better PA becomes. But point being, PA is very situational for one-handed characters. If you've got reliable ways of improving your to hit, or using charge-feats with PA, it might be worth it, but by default it's not.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-05-16, 06:17 PM
One-for-one power attack is almost never worth it. Better options would be Stone Power (ToB) and Combat Expertise.

Salt_Crow
2009-05-16, 06:27 PM
You might want to have a look at Deadly Defence feat from Complete Scoundrel. If you fight defensively or take at least -2 penalty to attack rolls using combat expertise you gain +1d6 damage, which isn't as good as two-handed power attack but is a (very) poor imitation thereof.

Talic
2009-05-16, 08:22 PM
The answer is: It depends.

Power attack is useful any time you have a surplus of accuracy. If your fencer has crazy accuracy skills, then Power attack can convert those into damage.

Further, being unarmed in the offhand isn't the end of the world. With improved unarmed strike, you can throw off hand fists, that benefit from power attack. Even if you're missing an arm, they can be kicks/etc.

If you are a 1 attack mobility fighter? Someone that spring attacks? It could be used in making your 1 hit count.

Still, all in all, it's, at best, mediocre, when only used 1 for 1. Even leap attack would improve it to 1 for 2.

unosarta
2009-05-16, 08:56 PM
YAY! someone is finally using my Base class!

but seriously, dont do it. the absolute best possible combination you could ever go for comes out to for ever -1 you take on a power attack/charge, you get +12 damage. 1 for one doesnt even come close.

but really, it depends on what the thing is for. if this is an NPC, then you might want to play up the defensive stuff, or do charging with fleche. although the image of a longsword wielding dexterity loving power attacking charger is pretty awesome.