PDA

View Full Version : Coldplay - Alternative, Rock, or Pop?

Sequinox
2009-05-19, 06:51 PM
The title pretty much sums it up, but I'm wondering what you guys think about this.

My take:

The genre really changes with the album, but all in all, the trilogy is all alternative rock (from Parachutes to A Rush of Blood to the Head to X&Y).

Viva la Vida (the song) is pop, pretty clearly, although easily the best pop on the market. The rest of the album is (to me, screw the Grammy's that disagree) NOT a rock album (although Violet Hill is a rock song, yes). I'd call it alternative, no 'rock' marking at the end. I mean, listen to it. It doesn't have any rock staples, meaning electric guitars, to me, at least. (That's really all I have in proof that it's not rock.) Pop? It doesn't have the same pop sound that every other pop sound has, it doesn't have standard pop themes, and it's a full band, which is unusual for pop. The instruments unusual, and it's unusually scripted for pop music. I mean, listening to it as a musician, I'd go far enough to say that it has progressive influences, and prog and pop are about as far apart as possible. :smallcool:

So, all in all, my opinion on Viva la Vida's genre: Assuming that you don't consider it to be pop because it's incredibly popular, I'd call it Alternative. No 'Rock' tag, and especially no removal of the 'Alternative' in favor of Rock. Despite the fact that for some reason it sounds really cool to call Viva rock.

Anyway, sorry if I'm just somebody who thinks way too much about genre... But hey, someone has to do it. :smallbiggrin:

Gaelbert
2009-05-19, 11:14 PM
Personally? I'd call them thieves.
But Alternative could work too. Although they sully the genre...:smallsigh:
But rock doesn't necessarily have to have electric guitars. Much of the indie rock of today have no electric guitars.

Executor
2009-05-19, 11:16 PM
I think Coldplay fits in with a certain genre I like to call "Crappy" :smallwink:

bosssmiley
2009-05-20, 05:08 AM
I think Coldplay fits in with a certain genre I like to call "Crappy" :smallwink:

Amen to that. Coldplay wish they were Radiohead, but lack the talent.

Coldplay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6P-2GY-SgA) are part of a genre of guitar-driven music that I like to call 'whinecore' (aka "twatcore", "baaaaw!rock", "emofail", "sonic wallpaper", "artrock", "LCD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowest_common_denominator)rock", etc.). Whinecore has aspects in common with the indie/modern prog scene, but is differentiated from those other music types by being wrist-slittingly depressing unmitigated sh*te that all sounds the same created by middle-class art school products.

Chris Martin delanda est.

Emperor Ing
2009-05-20, 05:11 AM
Personally, I think they're genre is Suck. :smalltongue:

Seriously, I think it ranges from Alternative to Pop

Executor
2009-05-24, 11:14 PM
Well, to be perfectly honestly, the song Vida la Vida wasn't that bad, it was pretty decent actually. It's just that all their music sounds exactly the same. They don't change anything, and one of my major criteria for a 'good band' is how original and fresh they can keep their music. This entails changing their sound as they evolve as musicians. This is why the Beatles are amazing in my books, and Nickelback is... decidedly less amazing.

Now Kevin Rudolf, HE really sucks the big one :smallmad:

Canadian
2009-05-25, 11:37 AM
I'd call it "Non-Vegan Progressive Grindcore."

Closet_Skeleton
2009-05-25, 11:47 AM
Coldplay is its own genre, because everything sounds like Coldplay now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6P-2GY-SgA).

"Spread paste of sleepy blah" might work but is too long.

Ghastly Epigram
2009-05-25, 12:11 PM
Well, to be perfectly honestly, the song Vida la Vida wasn't that bad, it was pretty decent actually. It's just that all their music sounds exactly the same. They don't change anything, and one of my major criteria for a 'good band' is how original and fresh they can keep their music. This entails changing their sound as they evolve as musicians. This is why the Beatles are amazing in my books, and Nickelback is... decidedly less amazing.

I agree with you regarding their first three albums, which are not really my thing, but have you heard their latest one? (Besides the title song.) If you listen to them side by side, it is obviously different, and in my opinion very good.

Unfortunately, it really does not matter at this point. Coldplay are THE band it is cool to hate, and that will never change now no matter what they do.

I would answer the actual thread question, but I am of the opinion that genres and the debates thereof are a plague upon this planet and need to be eradicated from the face of it.

chiasaur11
2009-05-25, 12:12 PM

Now Kevin Rudolf, HE really sucks the big one :smallmad:

I agree with you for the most part, as long as that definition of "good" has a nice big Ramones shaped exception.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-05-25, 12:18 PM
There's no such thing as genres anymore. All music sounds the same, excepting stuff that's synthesizer-only instead of using the same 4-6 instruments (and even stuff that has that all sounds like each other).

Pauwel
2009-05-25, 12:29 PM
There's no such thing as genres anymore. All music sounds the same, excepting stuff that's synthesizer-only instead of using the same 4-6 instruments (and even stuff that has that all sounds like each other).

I dare you to find anything that sounds like Pain of Salvation, Agalloch, Arcturus, Mr. Bungle, Unexpect, etc. There are loads of interesting music out there, you just have to search persistently.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-05-25, 01:22 PM
Perhaps you're right. I was going by things on the radio, which I admit is a flawed sample.

nothingclever
2009-05-26, 01:26 PM
I hate Coldplay and so many of the other popular bands out there. It's not because I feel a need to belittle highly successful people. I just can't the stand how bland and whiny stuff out there is.

Whinecore is a great term. I'm tired of songs about heartbreak, relationships, generic drama and the world sucking. So much music out there is an outlet for people to express unwarranted self importance. How is X person's generic boring bus ride home so much worse than mine? I'm tired of songs about mundane garbage that's all dramatic. Bad things happen and some stuff sucks. I get it. Sometimes I have a bad day but I don't feel an urge to listen to or create a song about bad days to comfort me. If I don't enjoy a bus ride I don't listen to a mopey song about a depressing bus ride. If I get into an argument with someone I don't listen to X generic whiny argument/breakup/whatever song. Too many people feel they need an appropriate soundtrack for their life at all times and want to sympathize with X rich music star that doesn't actually relate to any of the things he sings about.

Faulty
2009-05-26, 08:48 PM
Coldplay is basically its own genre, flawlessly merging a variety of genres, such as Sleep Inducing, Boring, and Bland. :smalltongue: Honestly though, I think they're just dull Soft Rock.

Perhaps you're right. I was going by things on the radio, which I admit is a flawed sample.

That is a poor place to get ideas about music. The radio is designed to be generic and catchy enough to appeal to anyone tuning in. It's music made as a product, not art. As for different sounds these days, I could be asinine and just post songs from a few entirely different genres, say... Death Metal, Jazz and Folk? :smalltongue:

Nerd-o-rama
2009-05-26, 10:53 PM
That is a poor place to get ideas about music. The radio is designed to be generic and catchy enough to appeal to anyone tuning in. It's music made as a product, not art.My problem is that I just don't care enough to pay out of pocket for music, or to deal with The Man stalking my online activity if I decide to yarhar something.

As for different sounds these days, I could be asinine and just post songs from a few entirely different genres, say... Death Metal, Jazz and Folk? :smalltongue:Well, even Death Metal and Folk use the same basic instruments, chords, and rhythms, just at different volumes. Jazz I'll give you, I guess, because the whole point is using different rhythms and chords than anyone else.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-05-27, 02:37 AM
My problem is that I just don't care enough to pay out of pocket for music, or to deal with The Man stalking my online activity if I decide to yarhar something.
Well, even Death Metal and Folk use the same basic instruments, chords, and rhythms, just at different volumes. Jazz I'll give you, I guess, because the whole point is using different rhythms and chords than anyone else.

Lamb of God are original AND Death Metal. If you're going to attack a genre then make it one where the posterboys aren't innovators.

Also, add Mastodon + Sentenced to a list of bands with creativity. Mastodon also having some deathy albums.

Avilan the Grey
2009-05-27, 05:32 AM
Winecore is an awesome term!
I have been digging through a lot of music to fill my new iPhone and I find myself going further and further back in time... I can't stand most modern R&B / Hip Hop, and Winecore. What is left? I am also not a fan of the average Eurodance garbage.
For some reason I have taken a liking to Bowling For Soup for some reason, although I admit that most of their stuff sounds alike too, but at least it's Happy soundalike.. :smalltongue:

...Another question is: What the heck is "Alternative" anyway? Ever since Nirvana's breakthrough "Alternative" has been one of the top three mainstream genres...

LCR
2009-05-27, 05:38 AM
But rock doesn't necessarily have to have electric guitars. Much of the indie rock of today have no electric guitars.

Huh? What kind of indie do you listen to?

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2009-05-27, 05:45 AM
Geez, just reading this thread... jump on the bandwagon, why don't you. :smallamused:

toasty
2009-05-27, 06:42 AM
I have been digging through a lot of music to fill my new iPhone and I find myself going further and further back in time... I can't stand most modern R&B / Hip Hop, and Winecore. What is left? I am also not a fan of the average Eurodance garbage.

You should listen to some metal. ;) lots of good metal coming out now...

Yes, feel free to ignore me. :D

Avilan the Grey
2009-05-27, 06:59 AM
You should listen to some metal. ;) lots of good metal coming out now...

Yes, feel free to ignore me. :D

Can you give me some band suggestions? I am not a Heavy Metal fan per se, I am more of a Hard Rock person but curiosity never killed the cat, right? :smallwink:

Pauwel
2009-05-27, 07:11 AM
My problem is that I just don't care enough to pay out of pocket for music, or to deal with The Man stalking my online activity if I decide to yarhar something.
Well, even Death Metal and Folk use the same basic instruments, chords, and rhythms, just at different volumes. Jazz I'll give you, I guess, because the whole point is using different rhythms and chords than anyone else.

Actually most death metal has a lot more in common with jazz in terms of rhythms and chords than it does with folk music. Hell, death metal bands like Death or Cynic even delves into jazz fusion on some (or in the case of Cynic, most) of their songs.

Try listening to some progressive rock if you want interesting chords and rhythms and aren't into death metal or whatever.

Faulty
2009-05-27, 10:24 AM

I prefer Beercore, personally.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-05-27, 10:53 AM
Guess I'm just going to have to go out and find non-mainstream bands if I want to discuss music seriously, huh? I figured that was necessary, I just didn't realize how necessary.

Heck, I didn't even realize Prog Rock was a current genre. I thought it was just a 60's-80's transitional thing.

TRM
2009-05-27, 11:19 AM
Guess I'm just going to have to go out and find non-mainstream bands if I want to discuss music seriously, huh? I figured that was necessary, I just didn't realize how necessary.

Heck, I didn't even realize Prog Rock was a current genre. I thought it was just a 60's-80's transitional thing.
Yeah, you do. Because anything that's mainstream is Bad. Also, there are many more unknown bands than there are mainstream ones—so you have a wider sample.

I would classify Coldplay as Alternative Pop. They're not quite as poppy as full-fledged pop bands, but they're certainly not rock.

Coldplay are part of a genre of guitar-driven music that I like to call 'whinecore' (aka "twatcore", "baaaaw!rock", "emofail", "sonic wallpaper", "artrock", "LCDrock", etc.). Whinecore has aspects in common with the indie/modern prog scene, but is differentiated from those other music types by being wrist-slittingly depressing unmitigated sh*te that all sounds the same created by middle-class art school products.
Uhm. Disagree. Coldplay is not whinecore, they're just... quiet, and they sing about love, etc. Whinecore is bands such as Blink-182, All-American Rejects, Panic! At the Disco, Simple Plan—groups who actually sing about how their high school girlfriend left them. But it's far too often a label slapped on anything disliked.

Faulty
2009-05-27, 11:45 AM
Because anything that's mainstream is Bad.

There are two types of mainstream: mainstream and bad mainstream. Mainstream is a band that's popular, bad mainstream is a band that's generic, bland and unartistic so as to disingenuously appeal to a large audience.

Gaelbert
2009-05-27, 03:19 PM
Huh? What kind of indie do you listen to?

Mainly folk influenced stuff. A lot of twee pop. Whether or not that qualifies as rock, it's up for debate.
Acoustic bands? From what I've heard:
Coconut Records
Again & Again
Aidan Moffat & The Best-Ofs
Aimee Mann
The Album Leaf
Animal Collective
The Apples In Stereo
Hello Saferide
There's a bunch more but honestly, I don't feel like going through my entire indie collection right now. However, do remember that I am terrible at differentiating between acoustic and a very clean electric, when it comes to strumming anyways.