PDA

View Full Version : Metal Thread II

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

DraPrime
2009-05-20, 07:19 AM
Welcome to the Metal Thread! Here we discuss all forms of metal. As long as you wish to discuss metal, you are welcome here. Do try to keep any discussion on non-metal topics to a minimum. Now then, please stand for our national anthem.

*stands*
*places right hand over heart*
*puts horns in the air with left hand*
*prepares to headbang*

*National Anthem plays* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHA0GuvgbEM)

You may all be seated.

Now then, begin the discussion!

Nameless
2009-05-20, 07:32 AM
Yay! New thread! *sets up a camp*
So who's playing at this festival?

Also, Repost:

That's because everyone who claims they suck live watches video's from one of their gigs which happened to suck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIA9arx_rVc

But they're pretty damn awesome, I saw them at the Black Crusade and they were better then Machinehead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCJ1nNia5yQ&feature=related

Killer Angel
2009-05-20, 07:33 AM
Welcome to the Metal Thread! Here we discuss all forms of metal. As long as you wish to discuss metal, you are welcome here. Do try to keep any discussion on non-metal topics to a minimum.

Well, the other thread was hitting n. 1.500 post, so I suppose it was the time to open a new thread... well done, sir! :smallwink:

So, here's my italian thanks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao58Xcb985I&feature=PlayList&p=ABDA875180B91FD5&index=1)to you!

Nameless
2009-05-20, 07:38 AM
Well, the other thread was hitting n. 1.500 post, so I suppose it was the time to open a new thread... well done, sir! :smallwink:

So, here's my italian thanks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao58Xcb985I&feature=PlayList&p=ABDA875180B91FD5&index=1)to you!

Or maybe it was because we reached page 50? :smalltongue:

Also, I believe that this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0SCBy6psPI) should be Metal's National Anthem.
That song is Metal in a nutshell. :smallamused:

Metal Head
2009-05-20, 07:41 AM
Hmmmm, this thread started with Bonded By Blood, and the last one started with The Metal. I now declare that everyone who starts a metal thread must include a great song about metal in the first post. This is non-negotiable.

Nameless
2009-05-20, 07:43 AM
Hmmmm, this thread started with Bonded By Blood, and the last one started with The Metal. I now declare that everyone who starts a metal thread must include a great song about metal in the first post. This is non-negotiable.

We must devise the Metal Council. This will be made up of 666 elders. O_e
Or 616 if we can't find enough.

EDIT: Scratch that! We shall have a few elders, and 666 laws! ... Or no laws! *manical laugh*

EDIT II: And we shall construct our own site where we update the latest news in metal! and... And do stuff! WITH METAL!
CHILDREN OF BODOM! *panics*

EDIT III: And the forum will have a board for every sub-genre! OUT VISITOS WILL SCROLL DOWN THE PAGE FOREVER!

Killer Angel
2009-05-20, 08:08 AM
Or maybe it was because we reached page 50? :smalltongue:

Also, I believe that this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0SCBy6psPI) should be Metal's National Anthem.
That song is Metal in a nutshell. :smallamused:

Not so a big surprise, given that each page contains 30 posts... :smallamused:

Also this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3UTO1kEZNo)could be a National Anthem... sorry for the bad quality, but this is a piece of metal History. :smallsmile:

toasty
2009-05-20, 08:56 AM
A lot of stuff > New Metallica. New Metallica is around grade C, I would guess.
Kinda depends on your natural voice. It's not that hard to get a good tenor when your natural voice is already high, but you can still struggle with bass sounds.

But aren't tenors a lot more common than basses? Baritone is the "standard" for most males so assumedly most males will sound deeper rather than higher.

How rare are countertenors?

Boo
2009-05-20, 10:02 AM
Sure, sure. Now go back to your pot plant and wait for some solar panels to be installed.

One step closer to proving how prejudiced metal heads are! :smalltongue:

Now, here's the thing: I found this line to be more of a flame towards my mental stability, and personal life. Please delete it even if it was just a joke.

Usually I wouldn't care, but I've grown tired of being called a pothead by people who don't know me.

Metal Head
2009-05-20, 10:06 AM
We must devise the Metal Council. This will be made up of 666 elders. O_e
Or 616 if we can't find enough.

EDIT: Scratch that! We shall have a few elders, and 666 laws! ... Or no laws! *manical laugh*

EDIT II: And we shall construct our own site where we update the latest news in metal! and... And do stuff! WITH METAL!
CHILDREN OF BODOM! *panics*

EDIT III: And the forum will have a board for every sub-genre! OUT VISITOS WILL SCROLL DOWN THE PAGE FOREVER!

So we're going to be metalstorm, but with crazier forums?

Dragannia
2009-05-20, 10:14 AM
Dragonforce are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Then there's Rhapsody.

Ceska
2009-05-20, 10:23 AM
But aren't tenors a lot more common than basses?
That question confuses me. If Tenors are more common than basses, wouldn't it be harder to achieve sounds of the bass range?

Baritone is the "standard" for most males so assumedly most males will sound deeper rather than higher.
Deeper than tenors, but sounds below the baritone range are still as rare as above.
And I may be wrong, but you can actually produce higher notes by using falsetto, but not lower notes by another technique, no?

And you have a thread in each for any band that manages to surpass one subgenre (that's what, every band in existence?), so people will have different discussions on the same band in different subforums, all neatly pinned up in their ucp?

Metal Head
2009-05-20, 11:00 AM
Then there's Rhapsody.

Other way around kiddo.

Nameless
2009-05-20, 11:02 AM
So we're going to be metalstorm, but with crazier forums?

Exactly! :smallamused:
The Elders will be selected in a fair mach to the death. :smallsmile:

Dragannia
2009-05-20, 11:18 AM
Other way around kiddo.

As if. Though I must say, Dragonforce have nothing that can beat the Emerald Sword. That song is so damn catchy, and so well suited for fantasy imagery.

Metal Head
2009-05-20, 11:29 AM
Exactly! :smallamused:
The Elders will be selected in a fair mach to the death. :smallsmile:

I propose a giant moshpit of death. Last few standing get to be the Elders.

Nameless
2009-05-20, 11:29 AM
Then there's Rhapsody.

Wouldn't go that far. :smalltongue:

Metal Head
2009-05-20, 11:48 AM
As if. Though I must say, Dragonforce have nothing that can beat the Emerald Sword. That song is so damn catchy, and so well suited for fantasy imagery.

Clearly, you have not listened to the song Holy Thunderforce.

Narmoth
2009-05-20, 01:17 PM
For Rhapsody, I'd say that their best song is "Rage of the Winter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG6ztRsh0iw)" (album version)

Jalor
2009-05-20, 04:08 PM
Not so a big surprise, given that each page contains 30 posts... :smallamused:

Also this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3UTO1kEZNo)could be a National Anthem... sorry for the bad quality, but this is a piece of metal History. :smallsmile:

No, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgzFMPPH340).

Anyways, I am seeing Queensryche at the House of Blues tonight, which is sure to be an awesome show.

SurlySeraph
2009-05-20, 04:24 PM
Then there's Rhapsody.

Dragonforce is technically impressive, but just because a song is extremely difficult to play doesn't mean it's an enjoyable song. They have some very good songs, but a lot of them seem like just wankery to me.

And anyone who dislikes Rhapsody dislikes awesomeness. Holy Thunderforce is one of the those songs where as soon as you finish listening to it, you want nothing more than to listen to it again. Speaking of which, The Black River by The Sword. I could listen to that song on loop for hours without getting bored.

Getting off the power metal, does anyone here listen to Morbid Angel? I've been getting into them recently. I love Dawn of the Angry and Maze of Torment. The thing is, they're rather like Slayer for me; I love the music part of their music, but I tend to dislike their lyrics on religious grounds. Are there any particularly awesome songs by them I should try that aren't excessively blasphemous?

Arlion
2009-05-20, 04:34 PM
/quote Originally Posted by Dragannia View Post
Then there's Rhapsody. quote/
i really think dragonforce music is really boring,it sounds really complex but its actually pretty simple.That it is really difficult to play doesnt mean that it is good music,their songs usually have some good parts,but they are mostly just noise.

Arlion
2009-05-20, 04:36 PM
i really think dragonforce music is really boring,it sounds really complex but its actually pretty simple.That it is really difficult to play doesnt mean that it is good music,their songs usually have some good parts,but they are mostly just noise.

toasty
2009-05-20, 10:14 PM
That question confuses me. If Tenors are more common than basses, wouldn't it be harder to achieve sounds of the bass range?

Umm... possibly, but I'm not exactly sure.

Deeper than tenors, but sounds below the baritone range are still as rare as above.
And I may be wrong, but you can actually produce higher notes by using falsetto, but not lower notes by another technique, no?

Right. And I believe that there is a technique called "vocal fry" that allows you to sound really deep. All my information is from Wikipedia though.

Dragannia
2009-05-20, 11:15 PM

I disagree. I think their music is great, uplifting, catchy, and some aren't simple at all (Last Journey Home, Soldiers of the Wasteland, Reasons to Live), though I will assert their Inhuman Rampage album is the weakest of the four, though I still enjoyed it.

In regards to Rhapsody, Holy Thunderforce is great, but I prefer most of their other songs. Eternal Glory for the symphonic awesomeness, Emerald Sword, Warrior of Ice, Wisdom of the Kings, Mighty Ride of the Firelord, and Riding the Winds of Eternity come to mind. Lately though I've been listening a lot to Gamma Ray.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-05-21, 12:41 AM
Omg...I had to move out of my college dorm today, so I missed a day of posting. Apparently you people decided to be as prolific as rabbits on the one day I was busy. Omnibus reply!

Dragonforce is technically impressive, but just because a song is extremely difficult to play doesn't mean it's an enjoyable song. They have some very good songs, but a lot of them seem like just wankery to me.

And anyone who dislikes Rhapsody dislikes awesomeness. Holy Thunderforce is one of the those songs where as soon as you finish listening to it, you want nothing more than to listen to it again. Speaking of which, The Black River by The Sword. I could listen to that song on loop for hours without getting bored.

Getting off the power metal, does anyone here listen to Morbid Angel? I've been getting into them recently. I love Dawn of the Angry and Maze of Torment. The thing is, they're rather like Slayer for me; I love the music part of their music, but I tend to dislike their lyrics on religious grounds. Are there any particularly awesome songs by them I should try that aren't excessively blasphemous?

IMHO, Dragonforce essentially have one good song, and they have parlayed that into a career. Now, its a really good song, but it does get old eventually.

Holy Thunderforce is great, but my favorite song of theirs off that particular album (Dawn of Victory) is probably Triumph for my Magic Steel, which is one of most blatantly D&D song titles ever. Rhapsody are actually one of my top ten favorite metal bands, the only power metal band on that list in fact. In case anyone is curious, the list is Sigh, Opeth, Coroner, Darkthrone, Rhapsody, Iron Maiden, Mercyful Fate, Virgin Steele, Dissection, Therion and Sodom. Actually, I guess Virgin Steele could be considered a power metal band, but I think their special brand of epicness surpasses that particular genre.

Morbid Angel are pretty fun to listen to. I've only listened to about 4 of their albums, but I liked what I heard. I can't sympathize with you about the religion problem though, since metal is my religion. Actually, it's more than my religion; it's the only way to live -- and the enemies of metal, I can't forgive :smallbiggrin:

Tired to plug them here on the forum a while ago
Got into them earlier this year.
Great band. Would like to see a true reunion, with the original guitarists back.

I must have missed your post. Or maybye I saw your post, got their music, but didn't listen to it for awhile, then forgot who recommended it, and thought I found it on my own? Stranger things have happened. Well, if you had any hand in me discovering this band, I thank you profusely!

Hey, keep that second rate thrash away. We were trying to talk about the USDM (United States Department of Metal) calls Grade A thrash. No need to ruin that with some Grade B.

Second rate? Say what you will about their later work, but in my opinion "The Legacy" and the first half of "The New Order" were solid gold. Gold, Jerry, gold!

So that new Slayer song doesn't sound too bad. I'm not really a fan of anything they did past Seasons in the Abyss though. Although a few songs off of "God Hates us All" were alright. I'm not saying the new song made me spontaneously start headbanging, but it wasn't bad.

So just for curiosity's sake, who do you guys think is the world's best living thrash band? In order to count, the band must be currently active (i.e not split up).

Past greatness should only be taked partially into account -- the music that the band is putting out in the current time period is what counts.

My vote? After seeing them live on Sunday, it has to go to Kreator. Not only were they one of the best of the best in the 80s, but their new material puts the recent output from bands like Megadeth, Metallica and even my beloved Sodom to shame, and is even better, IMHO, than any of the "new" thrash stuff I've heard. Warbringer is pretty spiffy, but ask them were they got their influence from, and guess tell you what they are going to say? (hint: their vocalist was wearing a Kreator shirt when I saw him perform on Sunday).

toasty
2009-05-21, 03:19 AM
IMHO, Dragonforce essentially have one good song, and they have parlayed that into a career. Now, its a really good song, but it does get old eventually.

You mean Through Fire and Flames?

What about Heroes of Our Time? The Valley of the Damned (my favorite DragonForce song)? Starfire? The Warrior Inside? The Last Journey Home? Flame of Youth? All of them are, imo, quite good. As good as DragonForce can get at least.

TSED
2009-05-21, 04:36 AM
Funny, I can't even LISTEN to a Dragonforce song without rolling my eyes and feeling dead inside.

Same with Yngwie.

In other news, I saw this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8-zehtCs7U&feature=channel_page) and decided you all needed to see it too. You can thank me later.

So, I've been looking around for something melodic and doomy lately. Any one know a band with a sound somewhere between Agalloch's Ashes Against The Grain or Hanging Garden's Inherit The Eden?

EDIT:: To be clear, that link IS a music video, it just takes a while to get there.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-05-21, 04:36 AM
*Begins beating DL with a sandwich board*

Recent Megadeth efforts were brilliant, bar the remix of A Tout Le Monde. I don't care how much any of you disagree with me because Megadeth > Kreator

Seriously though, get United Abominations and listen through it. Just listening to a song or two won't sell the album, you need to TRY it.

One step closer to proving how prejudiced metal heads are! :smalltongue:

Now, here's the thing: I found this line to be more of a flame towards my mental stability, and personal life. Please delete it even if it was just a joke.

Usually I wouldn't care, but I've grown tired of being called a pothead by people who don't know me.

Sir, considering the fact that (when you re-read it) all I did was call you a potted fern, I don't think there's any offence that can be inferred from it. I first called you an umbrella, now a fern and I will continue to refer to you as arbitrary household objects until you stop being such a dustbuster!

The potted plant came from Plants v Zombies BTW.

EDIT: White Wizzard made me dead inside :smallfrown:

Bellmaethorion
2009-05-21, 04:57 AM
I've got an interesting question, opinions will probably vary greatly.

What is the most metal of countries?

What country produces the best music (and bands), but also, what country has the best metal history, the best metal culture?

I don't know whether this question has been put forth in the first thread (it probably has) but I'd like to know about peoples opinions:smallbiggrin:

Nameless
2009-05-21, 06:02 AM
You mean Through Fire and Flames?

What about Heroes of Our Time? The Valley of the Damned (my favorite DragonForce song)? Starfire? The Warrior Inside? The Last Journey Home? Flame of Youth? All of them are, imo, quite good. As good as DragonForce can get at least.

We can't forget Operation Groun & Pound. :smallamused:

DraPrime
2009-05-21, 06:05 AM
Klose, I'm sorry to say that Kreator is far superior to Megadeth nowadays. Simply, they do t waste a ton of time talkig when they should be singing. Seriously, that's really annoying. Its what made Amerikhastan the worst Megadeth song ever.

TSED
2009-05-21, 06:09 AM
EDIT: White Wizzard made me dead inside :smallfrown:

Impossible. If you did not like that, you were already dead.

What country produces the best music (and bands), but also, what country has the best metal history, the best metal culture?

I don't know whether this question has been put forth in the first thread (it probably has) but I'd like to know about peoples opinions:smallbiggrin:

Australia is the most metal country. They're so busy dealing with DEATH AT EVERY CORNER they don't even have TIME for metal.

Sweden / Finland seem to produce the most metal that I listen to, though. Exceptions exist etc.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-05-21, 07:42 AM
Klose, I'm sorry to say that Kreator is far superior to Megadeth nowadays. Simply, they do t waste a ton of time talkig when they should be singing. Seriously, that's really annoying. Its what made Amerikhastan the worst Megadeth song ever.

Well someone clearly wasn't there for Megadeths bad years. Heck, I'll agree that it's annoying, but Amerikhastan isn't even the worst example of it you could have used!

Simple fact: If the new Megadeth album is anything less then one of their 90's albums then I'll wave the Kreator flag. Nonetheless (especially based off of this thread being poor in their attempted Megadeth criticism) Kreator while being winful awesome perfectsauce are yet to master the three laws of being true perfection, one of which involves copious amounts of MUSTAINE.

Seriously though, they've been on the rise since the remasters of their older stuff a couple years back + his christianity. Amerikhastan and United Abominations (A much more annoying example) style newsreaders aside Mustaine is actually getting into form nowadays rather then getting out of form ala Risk + Cryptic Writings.

Impossible. If you did not like that, you were already dead.

Yes, truly not appreciating an overdone metal gimmick shows my lack of humanity. How brilliant your theory is, it may yet cause me to explode with admiration.

What do you mean I haven't exploded yet? I'm SURE I appreciated it that much.

DraPrime
2009-05-21, 07:53 AM
Please, United Abominations was hardly a good album. There was one song there that I ever bothered to listen to multiple times. Meanwhile, Hordes of Chaos had me headbanging all the way through.

NeonBlack
2009-05-21, 04:43 PM
I'll third Kreator as the best thrash band alive, although Testament are pretty close in my books. If I was posting this before Hordes of Chaos I'd have a really hard time choosing between them, since Enemy of God was so-so (for Kreator's standards) and The Gathering and The Formation of Damnation are both made of win.

Hordes of Chaos changes that, though. Best thrash album I've heard in a long time, and probably Kreator's best since Pleasure to Kill. Megadeth might be coming back into form with their two latest albums, but they're still reaaaally far from their peak (Rust in Peace, IMO), and miles behind those two.

Which reminds me: what does everyone think of the new "thrash revival" bands that seem to be popping from everywhere (mainly the UK)? Evile, Gama Bomb and such. Enter the Grave was completely unoriginal and derivative, but still quite good.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-05-21, 06:02 PM

I got bored a few months ago and decided to find out myself. According to my calculations, Finland has the highest number of metal band members per capita, with, if I remember correctly, Sweden coming in second. I basically took the number of metal bands in a country (as reported by metalarchives), multiplied that number by 4.5 (my estimate for average number of people per band), then divided that product by the number of people in the country to arrive at the "metalness quotient" for the country.

The United States didn't fair too well; although they have roughly six times the number of bands as Finland, their population is also much larger. Here are my figures for some of the countries:

finland -- (2341 * 4.5) / 5333496 = 0.0019
us -- (13920 * 4.5) / 306460000 = 0.00002
sweden -- 2891*4.5 / 9263872 = 0.0014
norway -- 1090*4.5 / 4805437 = 0.001
germany -- 6952*4.5 / 82060000 = 0.000038
brazil -- 3257*4.5 / 198739269 = 0.0000073
Japan -- 1109*4.5 / 127433494 = 0.0000039
australia -- 1211*4.5 / 21714000 = 0.000025

So as you can see, the most metal country is clearly finland, with sweden in second place, norway in third, and germany bringing up a distant fourth.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-05-21, 06:20 PM
Why are Japan above Australia? We have more bands + way less people!

Go Aussie metal revival!

Please, United Abominations was hardly a good album. There was one song there that I ever bothered to listen to multiple times. Meanwhile, Hordes of Chaos had me headbanging all the way through.

Hmph.

*Sits in corner with arms crossed, waiting for new Megadeth album before I cast my final judgements*

Nameless
2009-05-21, 06:24 PM

Well, you could say the UK. Metal started here and some of the biggest and best bands have come from here.
But then in America you had the Thrash scene, and also all the mainstream metal; Glam, Nu Metal, Metalcore etc.
However, the Scandinavian countries seem to produce the best modern metal.
Then you have Japan with it’s J-Metal and Visual Kei which is pretty awesome and seems to be gaining popularity, but we won’t go into that right now. :smalltongue:

Decoy Lockbox
2009-05-21, 07:01 PM
Why are Japan above Australia? We have more bands + way less people!

Go Aussie metal revival!

Hmph.

*Sits in corner with arms crossed, waiting for new Megadeth album before I cast my final judgements*

The list wasn't in any order, just in the order I computed the results. I just noticed I forgot Britain...d'oh!

TSED, that White Wizzard thing was amazing...that video clip was more entertaining than many tv shows I've seen. What if they made a low-budget, Josie and the Pussycats-esque cartoon with those guys, where they went around in their drop-top GTO solving mysteries, playing shows, and occasionally summoning the wyzzarddd to combat the forces of evil? I'd watch it.

TSED
2009-05-21, 07:06 PM
The list wasn't in any order, just in the order I computed the results. I just noticed I forgot Britain...d'oh!

TSED, that White Wizzard thing was amazing...that video clip was more entertaining than many tv shows I've seen. What if they made a low-budget, Josie and the Pussycats-esque cartoon with those guys, where they went around in their drop-top GTO solving mysteries, playing shows, and occasionally summoning the wyzzarddd to combat the forces of evil? I'd watch it.

Tell them that.

They'd certainly have a precedent - Metalocalypse showed that people are pretty fond of the metal shows.

ANYWAYS: You should do that for Canada. We won't be very metal, I'm certain, but I'm kind of curious how we relate to the US. I mean, I live in a city of about 80k and there's like 5 or 6 bands sitting around here, and the major cities in the province are just dripping with them.

(Disclaimer: I didn't say very many of them were good.)

zeratul
2009-05-21, 07:28 PM

I'm going to have to say the best thrash bands of the 21st Century are Swashbuckle and Goathorn. No seriously, they kick ass, and I prefer both of them to Kreator any day, no offense. I enjoy modern Megadeth though songs like "Of Mice and Men" and "Die Dead Enough" contain copious amounts of win. And I thoroughly enjoyed Death Magnetic, so metallica aint dead. I think their next album is going to be the real test, see if they maintain the goodness and continue on, or revert back to the NickleBackesque trucker rock of St. Anger.

DraPrime
2009-05-21, 08:16 PM
I'm going to have to say the best thrash bands of the 21st Century are Swashbuckle and Goathorn. No seriously, they kick ass, and I prefer both of them to Kreator any day, no offense. I enjoy modern Megadeth though songs like "Of Mice and Men" and "Die Dead Enough" contain copious amounts of win. And I thoroughly enjoyed Death Magnetic, so metallica aint dead. I think their next album is going to be the real test, see if they maintain the goodness and continue on, or revert back to the NickleBackesque trucker rock of St. Anger.

You dare put a ridiculous new band above Kreator? Shame on you! And Goathorn isn't thrash. They're more doomy heavy metal. In the end, neither of these bands has Mille Petrozza, so they can't possibly be the best thrash metal bands around. It's like how you can't be the best power metal band without Hansi Kursch. It's simply not possible.

Mr. Mud
2009-05-21, 08:23 PM
You dare put a ridiculous new band above Kreator? Shame on you! And Goathorn isn't thrash. They're more doomy heavy metal. In the end, neither of these bands has Mille Petrozza, so they can't possibly be the best thrash metal bands around. It's like how you can't be the best power metal band without Hansi Kursch. It's simply not possible.

You could be... Erhm... Well I guess you can't well played DP... you've foiled me once again. But yeah, I don't like Goathorn to begin with, so certainly not as much as my beloved Kreator... And is it Goa-Thorn or Goat-Horn?

Unrelated: Dream Theater <, >, = Blind Guardian

KhorneBerserker
2009-05-21, 08:59 PM
I was a DragonForce fan back in 2004 when nobody had heard of them. The general consensus among their older fans is that Valley of the Damned was their best album. I was actually at their USA debut show in April of 2006. They were not very good live.

I saw them last November, (mostly for the opening acts Turisas and Powerglove), and I have to admit, they have improved greatly.

Power metal is probably my third favorite kind of metal, after black metal and folk metal. Gothic metal is amazing too, if done right.

I honestly can't stand death metal, with the exception of prog death and a bit of melodeath, and thrash and doom metal isn't for me, (with the exception of Candlemass and Draconian).

BTW, anyone else listen to Amorphis' new album yet?

Klose_the_Sith
2009-05-22, 12:08 AM

That's ... actually I'd agree with about 85% of this post at this juncture. I'm still reserving judgement for the new ]v[ e g a |) e t ]-[ (Hehe, youtube) album with a likelihood of raising them to the top of my list.

Incidentally I wouldn't call St Anger even remotely like Nickelback or Trucker Rock. It's basically what thrash sounds like if you feedback off of a pinecone for two hours then loop and remix.

KhorneBerserker
2009-05-22, 12:28 AM
....Swashbuckle? Really?

I saw them live at Paganfest. They weren't very good.

Bellmaethorion
2009-05-22, 01:04 AM
I got bored a few months ago and decided to find out myself. According to my calculations, Finland has the highest number of metal band members per capita, with, if I remember correctly, Sweden coming in second. I basically took the number of metal bands in a country (as reported by metalarchives), multiplied that number by 4.5 (my estimate for average number of people per band), then divided that product by the number of people in the country to arrive at the "metalness quotient" for the country.

The United States didn't fair too well; although they have roughly six times the number of bands as Finland, their population is also much larger. Here are my figures for some of the countries:

finland -- (2341 * 4.5) / 5333496 = 0.0019
us -- (13920 * 4.5) / 306460000 = 0.00002
sweden -- 2891*4.5 / 9263872 = 0.0014
norway -- 1090*4.5 / 4805437 = 0.001
germany -- 6952*4.5 / 82060000 = 0.000038
brazil -- 3257*4.5 / 198739269 = 0.0000073
Japan -- 1109*4.5 / 127433494 = 0.0000039
australia -- 1211*4.5 / 21714000 = 0.000025

So as you can see, the most metal country is clearly finland, with sweden in second place, norway in third, and germany bringing up a distant fourth.

I love this, it's like science, for metal.
And the fact that Finland comes out on top is quite interesting, because I myself would probably choose Finland as my favourite for best metal country.
The main reason for this is Wintersun, you can't beat Wintersun.

Also, for you people debating thrash, I'll throw out another name, though I'm not sure how popular it is: Odenwrath

Decoy Lockbox
2009-05-22, 04:07 AM
Tell them that.

They'd certainly have a precedent - Metalocalypse showed that people are pretty fond of the metal shows.

ANYWAYS: You should do that for Canada. We won't be very metal, I'm certain, but I'm kind of curious how we relate to the US. I mean, I live in a city of about 80k and there's like 5 or 6 bands sitting around here, and the major cities in the province are just dripping with them.

(Disclaimer: I didn't say very many of them were good.)

Canada: 2010*4.5 / 33656000 = 0.0000268

Yeah, not very metal at all I'm afraid. But they do have a number of great bands. Are you familiar with Razor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XePCdGOxE7Y&feature=related)?

I love this, it's like science, for metal.
And the fact that Finland comes out on top is quite interesting, because I myself would probably choose Finland as my favourite for best metal country.
The main reason for this is Wintersun, you can't beat Wintersun.

Also, for you people debating thrash, I'll throw out another name, though I'm not sure how popular it is: Odenwrath

Speaking of Wintersun, when the hell is that guy going to release his next album? People were speculating on it like 2 years ago!

TSED
2009-05-22, 04:24 AM
Canada: 2010*4.5 / 33656000 = 0.0000268

Yeah, not very metal at all I'm afraid. But they do have a number of great bands. Are you familiar with Razor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XePCdGOxE7Y&feature=related)?

Nope. Will try it out tomorrow, it's bedtiems now. I'm not really into thrash or speed or power metal, though, so I can't say I'm excited.

HOWEVER: yessss we beat the states.

Speaking of Wintersun, when the hell is that guy going to release his next album? People were speculating on it like 2 years ago!

Never. It's called "Time" for a reason.

EDIT:: I don't suppose your metal per capita thing takes into account people being in multiple bands...

toasty
2009-05-22, 07:00 AM
The general consensus among their older fans is that Valley of the Damned was their best album.

And that's something I would agree with a lot. The Valley of the Damned is, in my opinion, DragonForce's best song. Its one of my favorite songs.

edit: I watched that Through Fire and Flames video and it was better than the other one I watched. Better sound quality mainly. I couldn't really hear the guitars very well but they seemed to do an okay job. ZP Theart sounded a lot better than I thought he would somehow. Though I COULD tell that he wasn't able to sing that song fast and high enough throughout the entire song.

But I still prefer my demon hunter and nightwish live DVDs. :smallbiggrin:

Bellmaethorion
2009-05-22, 04:34 PM
And that's something I would agree with a lot. The Valley of the Damned is, in my opinion, DragonForce's best song. Its one of my favorite songs.

edit: I watched that Through Fire and Flames video and it was better than the other one I watched. Better sound quality mainly. I couldn't really hear the guitars very well but they seemed to do an okay job. ZP Theart sounded a lot better than I thought he would somehow. Though I COULD tell that he wasn't able to sing that song fast and high enough throughout the entire song.

But I still prefer my demon hunter and nightwish live DVDs. :smallbiggrin:

I do hope you mean the old DVDs, Anette, while not a bad singer, is nothing compared to Tarja, and I don't believe her voice fits in with the band...

SurlySeraph
2009-05-22, 09:13 PM
On the thrash front, I don't know thrash well enough to judge - most of what I listen to is metalcore. I don't know Megadeth and Kreator well enough to judge them. And I've just become fanboy of Death Angel. I am completely unable to give a fair and accurate opinion.
With that disclaimer, Death Angel is the best thrash band ever.

I do hope you mean the old DVDs, Anette, while not a bad singer, is nothing compared to Tarja, and I don't believe her voice fits in with the band...

Different styles. Both work. I love Annette's work, but I don't think it's comparable to Tarja's. Songs like Amaranth and Ghost Love Score (which I'd say exemplify Annette and Tarja, respectively) are just too different to compare.

EDIT: And I just listened to Psychopathy Red, Slayer's new song. It's OK. The pressured, almost panicky vocals don't do much for me; I prefer their more deliberate, hateful vocals. The instrumentals were like a lot of Slayer songs, throwing a ton of notes up and seeing how many of them stick. It's a good song, but nothing special.

DraPrime
2009-05-22, 09:21 PM
On the thrash front, I don't know thrash well enough to judge - most of what I listen to is metalcore. I don't know Megadeth and Kreator well enough to judge them. And I've just become fanboy of Death Angel. I am completely unable to give a fair and accurate opinion.
With that disclaimer, Death Angel is the best thrash band ever.

Death Angel is pretty awesome. And here are some great Kreator songs to listen to:

Hordes of Chaos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZHhEQfzc5s)
Violent Revolution (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR7xBj0bDD8)
Enemy of God (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLJ8lxv97Fo)
Flag of Hate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZTGnEYm6Ok)
Coma of Souls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O5p_LUt_PA)

Jalor
2009-05-22, 09:33 PM

Finland is the clear winner. Aside from having apparently the highest percentage of metal band members per capita, do a Google search for "winter war" or "simo haya". You will defecate masonry.

DraPrime
2009-05-22, 09:44 PM
Since Finland has been mentioned quite a few times, I thought I'd ask a question about one of Finland's most succesful metal bands.

So what the hell is appealing about Sonata Arctica? It's some of the most dull power metal I have heard.

toasty
2009-05-22, 11:19 PM

I haven't listened to any good quality live stuff from the band with Annette (meaning I don't have their MCD yet). And like others have said you can't compare Annette to Tarja. I think, musically speaking, Dark Passion Play was nightwish's strongest release (funnily enough, I don't really like Once). I just hope that their next album will be able to make better use of Annette's voice.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-05-23, 01:11 AM
Never. It's called "Time" for a reason.

EDIT:: I don't suppose your metal per capita thing takes into account people being in multiple bands...

Ha! Maybye it was all a big joke on the fans.

Bear in mind that my "metalness quotient" isn't very precise. I mean, the "# of metal bands" variable is taken from metal-archives, which means it includes bands that don't exist anymore. I think its accurate enough to compare the different countries though.

Finland is the clear winner. Aside from having apparently the highest percentage of metal band members per capita, do a Google search for "winter war" or "simo haya". You will defecate masonry.

Yeah, Simo Haya really needs to have a concept album written about him. Kinda makes you think about the random nature of life though: some people never survive infancy, some people get killed by drunk drivers, and some people survive anti-sniper teams and getting shot in the head with an explosive bullet :smallbiggrin:

On the topic of new thrash bands, has anyone listened to Mantic Ritual (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TezNb5NYo-k) (used to be called Meltdown) yet?

knighttp01
2009-05-23, 10:55 AM
Love dragonforce as well, saw them all three legs of the Inhuman Rampage tour, though they didnt really fit the bill of the Black Crusade

got say the new Heaven and Hell album is awesome, Dios voice has not faded and inch and Iommi still cracks out those riffs.

as for metal anthems got to love Sabatons Metal Machine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F42Pd8E8vRA), has loads of metal referances to early metal in it, plus is just cool

zeratul
2009-05-23, 01:04 PM
Since Finland has been mentioned quite a few times, I thought I'd ask a question about one of Finland's most succesful metal bands.

So what the hell is appealing about Sonata Arctica? It's some of the most dull power metal I have heard.

I really dig Sonata Arctica but they really don;t strike me as the kind of band you;d be into D- Prime. I know they're classified as power metal but they've never seemed that powermetallish to me. Still awesome though.

DraPrime
2009-05-23, 05:39 PM
I really dig Sonata Arctica but they really don;t strike me as the kind of band you;d be into D- Prime. I know they're classified as power metal but they've never seemed that powermetallish to me. Still awesome though.

The spelling and punctuation nazi in me would like to inform you that you're using semi-colons where you should use apostrophes.

Anyways, if you don't consider them to be power metal, would you just call them pop-metal or something? It's what my friend (who is a massive fan) calls them.

toasty
2009-05-24, 05:26 AM
So... my sister watched American Idol with her friend last night (note: She normally doesn't watch the show. I can't stand it and can only think about how it would be wonderful if they could get Iron Maiden to do a guest appearance. That or if someone would sing Holy Diver one time. :smallcool:) but anyways... she mentioned how she really liked Queens performance(and thought their costumes were really funny)... and so I was wondering if I were to buy one of their albums which one is maybe their "best"? Bonus if I can get it on Amazon or Itunes via MP3 download.

edit: I feel like a complete idiot. KISS! Not QUEEN! I cannot believe I did this. I get them confused anyways...

Narmoth
2009-05-24, 07:51 AM

In the beginning, on Ecliptica, they were a 4-piece where the singer played keyboards as well. And they had some catchy tunes like Replica, My Land, Kingdom for a Heart.
Things kind of went downwards from there, even though the 2 next albums still had some great songs

NeonBlack
2009-05-24, 09:19 AM
he mentioned how she really liked Queens performance(and thought their costumes were really funny)... and so I was wondering if I were to buy one of their albums which one is maybe their "best"? Bonus if I can get it on Amazon or Itunes via MP3 download.

It's tough to choose Queen's "best" album. A Night at the Opera is the usual choice, with lots of awesome songs (Death on Two Legs and Bohemian Rhapsody are the highlights). For me, though, their best would be News from the World, with anthems like We Will Rock You and We Are the Champions and a few awesome and underrated songs like It's Late, Sheer Heart Attack and Sleeping on the Sidewalk.

Jazz would be another option, and it's probably their wackier album, with weird and funny songs like Mustapha, Bicycle Race and Let Me Entertain You. This was their last great album from the 70s-early 80s. The Game was good but nothing jaw-dropping (Dragon Attack, Another One Bites the Dust and Crazy Little Thing Called Love rock, though), the Flash Gordon soundtrack was a mess, and Hot Space doesn't exist. Really. It doesn't.

If you want something from their late 80s-90s period, I'd go with A Kind of Magic, with Innuendo as a close second. The Works and The Miracle were a bit average, and Made in Heaven lives more on its sentimental value for being released years after Freddie's death than on the quality of its songs.

And this has little to do with metal, but hey, Queen rocks anyway :smalltongue:.

toasty
2009-05-24, 09:24 AM
And this has little to do with metal, but hey, Queen rocks anyway :smalltongue:.

While I'm sure they do... please look at my post again. I meant KISS. I cannot believe I did that...

Thanks for the information though!

Bellmaethorion
2009-05-24, 10:35 AM
While I'm sure they do... please look at my post again. I meant KISS. I cannot believe I did that...

Oh dear.

... that's... yeah.

I don't know how to reply to this, really:smallconfused:

I mean, both groups wear make-up, that's true. Possibly leather pants are worn on both sides... but the overal effect is a bit different:smallwink:

On the subject of classic metal, I can't help but enjoy seeing Marco's old work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_qsBD9b-Cw

NeonBlack
2009-05-24, 10:35 AM

Haha! And here I was thinking "costumes? Did they somehow manage to put Paul Rodgers in one of Freddie's pyjamas?". Now it all makes sense :smallbiggrin:.

Eh, about Kiss, I've never been a fan, but from what I heard their best albums are at the start of their career. Kiss, Hotter than Hell and Destroyer would be my picks.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-05-24, 04:04 PM
So... my sister watched American Idol with her friend last night (note: She normally doesn't watch the show. I can't stand it and can only think about how it would be wonderful if they could get Iron Maiden to do a guest appearance. That or if someone would sing Holy Diver one time. :smallcool:) but anyways... she mentioned how she really liked Queens performance(and thought their costumes were really funny)... and so I was wondering if I were to buy one of their albums which one is maybe their "best"? Bonus if I can get it on Amazon or Itunes via MP3 download.

edit: I feel like a complete idiot. KISS! Not QUEEN! I cannot believe I did this. I get them confused anyways...

Well this clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKB8vDubDvk&feature=PlayList&p=09A6D5501DA1E1FF&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=32) from what looks like Finnish Idol does in fact have an Iron Maiden song. The singer ain't great, but at least its something other than pop crap.

Can you imagine someone singing Painkiller, Number of the Beast, or better yet some King Diamond/Mercyful Fate stuff on idol? It would be great. Like if someone stealthed into the semifinals singing normal stuff, then all of a sudden they started doing nothing but classic metal songs. By that point they would have an established fanbase, who would all have to stick that in their collective pipes and smoke it!

So I've been listening to a lot of Sepultura's early stuff lately. I feel like an idiot for never having done so, because its amazing. This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV1iE50oX-Y) is for anyone who is not familiar with the ownage that is early Sepultura.

toasty
2009-05-24, 10:43 PM
Like if someone stealthed into the semifinals singing normal stuff, then all of a sudden they started doing nothing but classic metal songs.

It would be a dream come true.

It'd be even better if they could get Iron Maiden to preform. :smallsmile:

Lord of the Helms
2009-05-25, 12:57 AM
The spelling and punctuation nazi in me would like to inform you that you're using semi-colons where you should use apostrophes.

Anyways, if you don't consider them to be power metal, would you just call them pop-metal or something? It's what my friend (who is a massive fan) calls them.

I know some people call the fast, soft and keyboardy kind of stuff they play "Flower Metal", and to be honest I kinda like that. Works well for them: They're catchy, they got plenty of tempo, great sing-along melodies and their songs are pretty good at going places, "White Pearl, Black Oceans" being a great example of what they can do if they set their mind to it. And it just feels very emotional and, well, sincere to me. Songs like "Full Moon", "Weballergy" or "The Cage" are great examples of what they're all about.

Killer Angel
2009-05-25, 07:54 AM
So I've been listening to a lot of Sepultura's early stuff lately. I feel like an idiot for never having done so, because its amazing. This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV1iE50oX-Y) is for anyone who is not familiar with the ownage that is early Sepultura.

I'm not a great fan of the stuff from morbid vision and schizophrenia, but Beneath the remains and Arise are absolutely masterpieces.
I love them... and Inner self is probably my favourite song of Sepultura.
At those times, S. was in my top-3 bands.

Killer Angel
2009-05-25, 07:58 AM
If you want something from their late 80s-90s period, I'd go with A Kind of Magic, with Innuendo as a close second. The Works and The Miracle were a bit average, and Made in Heaven lives more on its sentimental value for being released years after Freddie's death than on the quality of its songs.

Even if we should talk about Kiss (:smallbiggrin:), i second this.
Also, Live Killers gives a good view of the first Queen ('til the last '80)

toasty
2009-05-26, 12:44 AM
"[metal] in many ways metal isnt a genre, it is a collection of genres."

Something my friend said to me today. What do you guys think? I mean... actually it seems to make sense. Death Metal couldn't be more different than Power Metal, yet no one makes any claims that either "isn't metal", for instance.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-05-26, 05:15 AM

Something my friend said to me today. What do you guys think? I mean... actually it seems to make sense. Death Metal couldn't be more different than Power Metal, yet no one makes any claims that either "isn't metal", for instance.

I view metal more as a lifestyle choice. This view ties back in to image being important for black metal bands, as they need to live their metal lifestyle to be truly metal.

METAL.

Killer Angel
2009-05-26, 05:26 AM

I think more that Metal is a whole genre, with many sub-genres...
It could be interesting to see if exists a "classic" heavy metal, which cannot be identified as a sub-genre.
Maybe Accept?

Lord of the Helms
2009-05-26, 08:52 AM
I think more that Metal is a whole genre, with many sub-genres...
It could be interesting to see if exists a "classic" heavy metal, which cannot be identified as a sub-genre.
Maybe Accept?

Early Judas Priest, especially Sad Wings of Destiny, but also the next two, Sin after Sin and Stained Class. Sad Wings, more than anything, is the earliest album I can think of that just cannot be described as anything but Heavy Metal, and also is the definition of Metal in general to me.

Killer Angel
2009-05-26, 09:28 AM
Early Judas Priest, especially Sad Wings of Destiny, but also the next two, Sin after Sin and Stained Class. Sad Wings, more than anything, is the earliest album I can think of that just cannot be described as anything but Heavy Metal, and also is the definition of Metal in general to me.

Ouch, my bad! How can I forget JP? :smallfrown:
British steel is definitely HM 100%!

Whoracle
2009-05-26, 12:53 PM
I've got quite a lot around my ears lately so I won't join the ongoing discussion.
Just wanted to drop by and notify everyone interested that our album is now available outisde of europe via mailorder.
Get it here. (http://www.trendfabrik.com/frozen-infinity-fragments-p-3794.html?osCsid=bbd9f9db5fc7967bc7f93bdc9f353644)

Would've notified you guys via PM but I kinda forgot who wanted one... :smalleek:

So long, and hopefully 'til somewhen next week! \m/

Narmoth
2009-05-26, 02:44 PM
Early Judas Priest, especially Sad Wings of Destiny (1976), but also the next two, Sin after Sin (1977) and Stained Class (1978). Sad Wings, more than anything, is the earliest album I can think of that just cannot be described as anything but Heavy Metal, and also is the definition of Metal in general to me.

Maybe Rainbows first, Ritchie Blacmores Rainbow (1975), and Rainbow Rising (1976), should go in that category as well.
But I also place Judas Priests Rocka Rolla (1974) there
The Scorpions albums Virgin Killer (1976) and Taken by Force (1977) I also define as metal, and maybe the earlier Fly to the Rainbow (1974) and In Trance (1975) could be called metal, at least some of the songs

Decoy Lockbox
2009-05-26, 04:21 PM

I think of it more like a family tree. I mean this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-6bhtHGJZY) is basically the cousin of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2e47wBWTV8). If you removed the keyboards and vocals from the first, and the vocals from the second, they would be rather similar.

In that vein, power metal and death metal are essentially second cousins.

derfos
2009-05-26, 05:43 PM
As much as I love discussions about the history of metal, I thought I'd just pop by and recommend a few bands that have hopefully not been recommended before.

I present to you, my list of obscure metal bands:
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Black Sabbath

OK, for the actual List (bands with a * have growled/screamed):
Alestorm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7sHLjI1sQE) (Pirate-themed power metal that actually sounds like PIRATE metal [unlike Running Wild, which was just regular metal with pirate lyrics])
Freedom Call (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbiWkhjQb_o) (just regular power metal with some extra happiness)
*3 Inches of Blood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Il84l6zg5o) (Canadian [yay!] Power Metal band with)
*Crimfall (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGbegRUPd5I) (Folk/Black/Symphonic/Power Metal)
*Fleshkraft (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvr_JxhZ-po&feature=PlayList&p=9E4D5E42F9BCDCF1&index=0) (death metal band - free album offered by the band can be downloaded here (http://www.fleshkraft.com/))
*Moonsorrow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYRArhM2uDI) (Folk/Black metal band with an ambient feel)
Northern Kings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKwQKqQ8MMY) (for all you power metal fans out there you'll see a few familiar faces)
*Quo Vadis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3Eq5EaSmB0) (Canadian [yay] tech-death)
Rage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4A092hsvGo) (very big power metal band in Europe, but North Americans seem to be unaware of its existence)
*Shades of Dusk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNEOmpBXInY) (Canadian [yay] Melodic death/deathcore band)
*Swallow the Sun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXgOTmlbE6w) (Melodic Death/Doom Metal band)
*Warbringer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjJi16dEDns) (old school thrash band)

Turns out none of these bands are completely underground (most have at least one music video), but they are obscure enough for the list.

KhorneBerserker
2009-05-26, 06:02 PM
As much as I love discussions about the history of metal, I thought I'd just pop by and recommend a few bands that have hopefully not been recommended before.

OK, for the actual List (bands with a * have growled/screamed):
Alestorm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7sHLjI1sQE) (Pirate-themed power metal that actually sounds like PIRATE metal [unlike Running Wild, which was just regular metal with pirate lyrics])
Freedom Call (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbiWkhjQb_o) (just regular power metal with some extra happiness)
*3 Inches of Blood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Il84l6zg5o) (Canadian [yay!] Power Metal band with)
*Crimfall (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGbegRUPd5I) (Folk/Black/Symphonic/Power Metal)
*Fleshkraft (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvr_JxhZ-po&feature=PlayList&p=9E4D5E42F9BCDCF1&index=0) (death metal band - free album offered by the band can be downloaded here (http://www.fleshkraft.com/))
*Moonsorrow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYRArhM2uDI) (Folk/Black metal band with an ambient feel)
Northern Kings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKwQKqQ8MMY) (for all you power metal fans out there you'll see a few familiar faces)
*Quo Vadis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3Eq5EaSmB0) (Canadian [yay] tech-death)
Rage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4A092hsvGo) (very big power metal band in Europe, but North Americans seem to be unaware of its existence)
*Shades of Dusk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNEOmpBXInY) (Canadian [yay] Melodic death/deathcore band)
*Swallow the Sun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXgOTmlbE6w) (Melodic Death/Doom Metal band)
*Warbringer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjJi16dEDns) (old school thrash band)

Turns out none of these bands are completely underground (most have at least one music video), but they are obscure enough for the list.

Alestorm is phenomenal. I saw them in NYC on 3/29/09. They had amazing stage presence and the crowd went nuts. I've been a fan of theirs for almost 6 months; they're just great musicians. The fact that they're from Perth, Scotland makes them even cooler, being of Scottish heritage and having been there.

Northern Kings have the best cover of 'Don't Stop Believing' I've ever heard.

3 Inches of Blood is hilarious, over the top power metal. Check out Destroy the Orcs, Deadly Sinners, or Forest King for songs of theirs.

Freedom Call is very light metal, imo. Their singer is kind of weak, as are their lyrics, but overall, they're still above average. There is much better obscure power metal out there though.

Moonsorrow is good too, they put on a great show at PaganFest II

On the topic of new thrash bands, has anyone listened to Mantic Ritual (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TezNb5NYo-k) (used to be called Meltdown) yet?

I saw them live with Rotting Christ. They weren't bad, even though I don't like thrash.

I like the idea of recommendations, I'll toss in some black metal bands I like. Later on, I'll post power metal, folk metal, and avant-garde recommendations.
Anorexia Nervosa (aka Anorexia Nervosa Nihilistic Orchestra): Fantastic symphonic black metal. Has an epic sound to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ8ZCGwmu64&feature=related

Bal-Sagoth: Quite amusing symphonic black metal. They're one of the only black metal bands I know to use narration. They're like the Rhapsody of Fire of black metal. They have ridiculous song titles, such as, "Into The Silent Chambers Of The Sapphirean Throne (Sagas From The Antediluvian Scrolls)", and "The Dark Liege of Chaos is Unleashed at the Ensorcelled Shrine of A'Zura Kai (The Splendour of a Thousand Swords Gleaming Beneath the Blazon of the Hyperborean Empire Part II)".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DkQ8IivrwM&feature=related

Naglfar: One of the best melodic black metal bands around, IMO. I absolutely love their lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQcLWjHnBp0

Watain: The most Satanic black metal band I've ever seen live. They've been known to spray the crowds at their concerts with actual blood, purchased from butcher shops. Their music and lyrics just remind me of Malar, the Chaotic Evil god of Lycanthropy from Forgotten Realms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naWdZnGQA-0

SurlySeraph
2009-05-26, 06:44 PM
Bal-Sagoth: Quite amusing symphonic black metal. They're one of the only black metal bands I know to use narration. They're like the Rhapsody of Fire of black metal. They have ridiculous song titles, such as, "Into The Silent Chambers Of The Sapphirean Throne (Sagas From The Antediluvian Scrolls)", and "The Dark Liege of Chaos is Unleashed at the Ensorcelled Shrine of A'Zura Kai (The Splendour of a Thousand Swords Gleaming Beneath the Blazon of the Hyperborean Empire Part II)".

So basically Impaled Northern Moonforest (http://www.inm.acousticblackmetal.org/) (look at the Discography section), except serious?

Decoy Lockbox
2009-05-27, 02:50 AM
I like the idea of recommendations, I'll toss in some black metal bands I like. Later on, I'll post power metal, folk metal, and avant-garde recommendations.
Anorexia Nervosa (aka Anorexia Nervosa Nihilistic Orchestra): Fantastic symphonic black metal. Has an epic sound to it.

Naglfar: One of the best melodic black metal bands around, IMO. I absolutely love their lyrics.

Watain: The most Satanic black metal band I've ever seen live. They've been known to spray the crowds at their concerts with actual blood, purchased from butcher shops. Their music and lyrics just remind me of Malar, the Chaotic Evil god of Lycanthropy from Forgotten Realms.

I'm pretty sure Bal-Sagoth are better at being Rhapsody than Rhapsody is. I mean, the sheer power of the cheese wielded by Bal-Sagoth is just unimaginable. My friends and I can never keep a straight face when we watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMYFCyXryr8).

I've heard that Watain kinda continued where Dissection left off, but IMHO Naglfar does a better job of it. Great workout music too! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guzdSHVK_Qc)

I remember getting recommended Anorexia a while ago, but I never listened to em. Gonna have to take you up on that now.

I'ma make me some recommendations! This one is for the thrashers out there (and you know who you are!)

Arakain (Czech Republic) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqZGDO1KXmg)
Deceased (USA) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX-ImfNIkq4)
Holy Terror (USA) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBDrIo9ylq0&feature=related)
Exumer (Germany) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygtvdAxidBY)
Incubus (Brazil) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVBptfT4tbI)
Mekong Delta (Germany) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s_gpVaKwug)
Onslaught (UK) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3MNbwm-hZ4)
Razor (Canada) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RLV8BoWAOg)
Vendetta (Germany) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdPHbDnHkto)

derfos
2009-05-27, 10:09 AM
Freedom Call is very light metal, imo. Their singer is kind of weak, as are their lyrics, but overall, they're still above average. There is much better obscure power metal out there though.

I know, but freedom has always had a place in my heart for some reason and I thought I'd put it out there.

If you are into the whole Symphonic/Melodic Black Metal then: Alghazanth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EENY53nvjxQ)- Probably the best black metal vocals I've ever heard (funny, because the vocalist is also one of the best death metal vocalists out there)

And I also forgot to mention Brainstorm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awSaPhT9nXM&feature=related)- cool german power metal band with a pretty dark sound to them - not great, but Soul Temptation is a pretty good album.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-05-27, 02:11 PM
I know, but freedom has always had a place in my heart for some reason and I thought I'd put it out there.

If you are into the whole Symphonic/Melodic Black Metal then: Alghazanth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EENY53nvjxQ)- Probably the best black metal vocals I've ever heard (funny, because the vocalist is also one of the best death metal vocalists out there)

And I also forgot to mention Brainstorm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awSaPhT9nXM&feature=related)- cool german power metal band with a pretty dark sound to them - not great, but Soul Temptation is a pretty good album.

Alghazanath was quite good, I plan on getting some of their stuff soon. Brainstorm wasn't quite my cup of tea, at least that song you sent. I prefer Symphony X for music like this. But their albums have good reviews on M-A, so I'll give them a shot.

Nameless
2009-05-27, 02:42 PM
ALEXI ON SPEED! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cexUsB1wDg&feature=related)

:biggrin:

zeratul
2009-05-27, 03:12 PM
If we're discussing awesome obscure metal bands I would have to say

Goat Horn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2i_Z24p2uw) - awesome hilarious heavy metal from canada
Crucifist (http://www.myspace.com/crucifist) - Black metal band from Rochester New York, featuring Anthraxes former bassist. Check out the song Witchgrip
SuidAkrA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz8EfkS4KK0)- Fantastic folk metal band from Germany. They've been around for a while but they're still a tad obscure
Blackguard (http://www.myspace.com/blackguard) - a Canadian folk metal band who just released their first album under their current name. They're really awesome and I urge you to check them out.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-05-27, 03:42 PM
Yesss someone mentioned 3 Inches of Blood. Love those guys. :smallbiggrin: If anyone knows of any other bands who use dual vocalists in a similar fashion, let me know.

edit:although I'm not a huge fan of Destroy the Orcs as was listed. Some good ones are Swordmaster, Premonition of Pain, the Hydra's Teeth, and Deadly Sinners as someone above me mentioned. Would link, but finding music on youtube is hell nowadays.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-05-28, 01:05 AM
Yesss someone mentioned 3 Inches of Blood. Love those guys. :smallbiggrin: If anyone knows of any other bands who use dual vocalists in a similar fashion, let me know.

edit:although I'm not a huge fan of Destroy the Orcs as was listed. Some good ones are Swordmaster, Premonition of Pain, the Hydra's Teeth, and Deadly Sinners as someone above me mentioned. Would link, but finding music on youtube is hell nowadays.

For some reason, Skeletonwitch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHxr6fP22MM) really reminds of of 3IOB, but with black metal influences instead of power metal ones. (another great song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns8ww-KszTg&feature=related) of theirs).

I've got another recommendation, possibly the most obscure of any of the bands posted here. Its a group called Dead Raven Choir (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vdRTQo39YE) that does original compositions and black metal covers of folk songs. Also, the guy plays a bass guitar with a cello bow. Imagine a drunken, suicidally depressed Romanian peasant lying dazed in a muddy ditch on the side of the road; Dead Raven Choir sounds like what is going on in his head. Highly recommended.

Also Portal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxubGZKni7Y), from Australia. Check out their freaky M-A entry. (http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=5471)

derfos
2009-05-28, 09:43 PM

Anorexia Nervosa didn't really work for me. Bal Sagoth was funny, but I don't see myself listening to their stuff any time soon. Naglfar was just incredible - there are no words to describe just how good they are. Watain was good too, but not to Naglfar level.

I listened to Crucifist - Witchgrip was OK, but the rest of the songs on their MySpace were kind of weak. They need some more energy.

Skeleton Witch was also really good, gonna get some of their stuff.

Since I'm gonna see them live this monday, I might as well recommend a couple of bands:
Hibria (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyq8AKVfLC8) (Sound similar to Iron Maiden but more modern and really original)
Tyrants Demise (http://www.myspace.com/tyrantsdemise) (Melodeath/Deathcore)

[Maybe we should start our own thread called 'the obscure metal band compendium' or something along those lines so that people can go back to the important discussions of whether Rob Halford would kick Bruce Dickinson's ass in a fist fight (which he would - he rides a freaking motorcycle on stage, he's gotta be tough)]

Decoy Lockbox
2009-05-29, 01:20 AM
Anorexia Nervosa didn't really work for me. Bal Sagoth was funny, but I don't see myself listening to their stuff any time soon. Naglfar was just incredible - there are no words to describe just how good they are. Watain was good too, but not to Naglfar level.

I listened to Crucifist - Witchgrip was OK, but the rest of the songs on their MySpace were kind of weak. They need some more energy.

Skeleton Witch was also really good, gonna get some of their stuff.

Since I'm gonna see them live this monday, I might as well recommend a couple of bands:
Hibria (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyq8AKVfLC8) (Sound similar to Iron Maiden but more modern and really original)
Tyrants Demise (http://www.myspace.com/tyrantsdemise) (Melodeath/Deathcore)

[Maybe we should start our own thread called 'the obscure metal band compendium' or something along those lines so that people can go back to the important discussions of whether Rob Halford would kick Bruce Dickinson's ass in a fist fight (which he would - he rides a freaking motorcycle on stage, he's gotta be tough)]

The irony is that most of these bands arent really all that obscure. I like to think of it as a sliding scale of obscurity. Most of these bands are too obscure for the general public to know about them, but they certainly have a fanbase. If you want to talk obscure, you gotta talk about one-man Tanzanian black metal group Giza Uchawi (http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=49792). Perhaps a band is only obscure when you don't know about it :smallbiggrin:

As for the winner of the Halford vs Dickenson fistfight? David Defeis wins! In all seriousness, I think Dickenson would win. The guy is a fencer, and they tend to have excellent footwork and speed. I mean, pure badassery can only get you so far in the real world.

Speaking of that Hibria song you linked, "Steel Lord on Wheels", there seem to be a lot of heavy metal songs written about wheels, arent' there? "Wheels of Fire" and "Wheels of Steel" are pretty well known ones.

But the one that immediately come to my mind as the best song ever written about flaming wheels and the people that follow them comes from an obscure Canadian band called, simply, "Sword". Travel back to the year 1986; thrash was all the rage, and with it came the onslaught of acronym song titles, the most egregious of which would have to be Testament's C.O.T.L.O.D. (curse of the legions of death). Out of the frigid and frostbitten wilds of Canada, emerged the mighty Sword, releasing their 1986 debut "Metalized" to little fanfare (though they did get to support Metallica for a few shows). The first track off of this great album was entitled, simply, F.T.W. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9MapnGdEm0)

Edit: Just listened to the Hibria song, and man, was it good! I especially like the album artwork and its (probably unintentionally) humorous name.
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/6/2/3/9/62392.jpg

KhorneBerserker
2009-05-30, 10:38 PM
If we're discussing awesome obscure metal bands I would have to say

Goat Horn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2i_Z24p2uw) - awesome hilarious heavy metal from canada
Crucifist (http://www.myspace.com/crucifist) - Black metal band from Rochester New York, featuring Anthraxes former bassist. Check out the song Witchgrip
SuidAkrA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz8EfkS4KK0)- Fantastic folk metal band from Germany. They've been around for a while but they're still a tad obscure
Blackguard (http://www.myspace.com/blackguard) - a Canadian folk metal band who just released their first album under their current name. They're really awesome and I urge you to check them out.

I saw SuidAkrA with Alestorm and Tyr and Blackguard during PaganFest. Both are good bands.

Trodon
2009-05-30, 11:06 PM
Did anyone go to the KoRn concert in Springfield? Because it was awesome

Decoy Lockbox
2009-05-31, 02:00 AM
Did anyone go to the KoRn concert in Springfield? Because it was awesome

Can't say that I did, no me gusta el Korn. What venue was it at?

Jamie
2009-05-31, 07:44 PM
I saw SuidAkrA with Alestorm and Tyr and Blackguard during PaganFest. Both are good bands.

All three good bands. I'd of loved to have seen SuidAkraA, but they never seem to hit the UK.

Narmoth
2009-06-01, 02:19 AM
Oh, more Suidakra-fans. Great :smallbiggrin:

Jamie
2009-06-01, 02:36 AM
Longshot here, but there would be anyone going to Bloodstock this year? Amazing line up, with the likes of Carcass, Amon Amarth, Sabaton, Equilbrium, Candlemass, Blind Guardian...with a few bands yet to come.

DraPrime
2009-06-01, 02:48 PM
My little brother listens to Behemoth, Zyklon, and Children of Bodom. Some of the noisiest and most disruptive metal bands. He plays them right before going to bed. Then the little dork tells me Death Metal relaxes him. Yeah, right. :smallannoyed:

Sorry, had to vent.

I recommend not venting in a thread filled with metal fans.

Nameless
2009-06-01, 02:51 PM
So ladies, what do we think about Eluveitie's new acoustic album?

derfos
2009-06-01, 02:58 PM
Longshot here, but there would be anyone going to Bloodstock this year? Amazing line up, with the likes of Carcass, Amon Amarth, Sabaton, Equilbrium, Candlemass, Blind Guardian...with a few bands yet to come.

I wish! I'm stuck in the middle of Canada :smallfrown:
I did get to see Ensiferum opening for Amon Amarth last year, though!

My little brother listens to Behemoth, Zyklon, and Children of Bodom. Some of the noisiest and most disruptive metal bands. He plays them right before going to bed. Then the little dork tells me Death Metal relaxes him. Yeah, right. :smallannoyed:

Sorry, had to vent.

Not a huge fan of Behemoth or Zyklon, and new CoB is kinda lame (old CoB was great, though!) - but even if I'm not that big a fan of those bands, it somehow strikes me as inappropriate to bash death metal in a thread made to praise Metal... Maybe you should go to the classical music thread and post that there, I'm sure you'll get a few smilies.

I wouldn't say that death metal relaxes me, but doom metal does. Funeral Doom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHVkJgwAXgE) is great for when you want to sit down and think for a while.

Jamie
2009-06-01, 03:30 PM
I find some metal can relax me...particularly Doom and Symphonic....but Death Metal? I wouldn't use it to end me off to sleep...

Narmoth
2009-06-01, 03:36 PM

Sorry, had to vent.

To a certain definition of relaxing. Not the definition of relaxing that is used in the context of relaxing to falling faster asleep

Calmness
2009-06-01, 04:02 PM
Heh. My problem isn't with Death Metal, just with my brother and some of the bands he listens to. I like a little CoB myself, and Dragonforce has some good songs as well.

Nameless
2009-06-01, 04:06 PM
I find some metal can relax me...particularly Doom and Symphonic....but Death Metal? I wouldn't use it to end me off to sleep...

I sometimes go to sleep to Cob. :smallsmile:

Narmoth
2009-06-01, 04:23 PM
Heh. My problem isn't with Death Metal, just with my brother and some of the bands he listens to. I like a little CoB myself, and Dragonforce has some good songs as well.

Actually, your problem is solely with your brother.
Because you otherwise would come up with an arrangement that bothered neither.
When it comes to musical taste, it's the elder siblings responsibility to introduce the younger to the music of his or hers taste.
This can give you a great payback later. My little sister was the one to introduce me to the great metal band Nevermore

Nameless
2009-06-01, 04:28 PM
Since when is Dragonforce Death Metal? :smallconfused: :smalltongue:

DraPrime
2009-06-01, 05:01 PM
Since when is Dragonforce Death Metal? :smallconfused: :smalltongue:

Since they started making really brutal music! (never)

Nameless
2009-06-01, 05:02 PM
Since they started making really brutal music! (never)

I believe the correct term is "br00t4l" :smalltongue:

DraPrime
2009-06-01, 05:03 PM
I believe the correct term is "br00t4l" :smalltongue:

I stand corrected. I think Dragonforce has also been very tr00 and kvlt in recent years.

Nameless
2009-06-01, 05:05 PM
I stand corrected. I think Dragonforce has also been very tr00 and kvlt in recent years.

I hope you're sarcasm isn't serious. :smalltongue:

KhorneBerserker
2009-06-01, 05:11 PM
Last time I saw DragonForce, I almost died of hypothermia. It was so grim and frostbitten.

Nameless
2009-06-01, 05:13 PM
Last time I saw DragonForce, I almost died of hypothermia. It was so grim and frostbitten.

When I saw them it was amazingly epic and fun and they played extremely well. :smallbiggrin:

DraPrime
2009-06-01, 05:22 PM
When I saw them it was amazingly epic and fun and they played extremely well. :smallbiggrin:

What?! Dragonforce is making fun music? THEY'VE SOLD OUT!

SurlySeraph
2009-06-01, 05:34 PM
There is one band even grimmer and more br00t4l than Dragonforce, though.

Nightwish.

DraPrime
2009-06-01, 05:40 PM
There is one band even grimmer and more br00t4l than Dragonforce, though.

Nightwish.

Especially on the album Dark Passion Play. There were some really awesome blasphemous lyrics on that one.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-06-01, 09:24 PM
To a certain definition of relaxing. Not the definition of relaxing that is used in the context of relaxing to falling faster asleep

I cannot fall asleep unless I have my MP3 player on shuffle, preferably while connected to my speakers, but headphones will do in a pinch.

Music I fall asleep to includes Lamb of God, Entombed, Ensiferum, Children of Bodom etc.

So, yes. Death metal relaxes me in the sense of falling asleep. My recommendation would be to just let it slide. Some people relax differently and who are we to judge?

I'd also like to speak on the topic of older sibling musicy:

No. Just ... no.

While it works in some cases, declaring it as a "duty" of the older person is utterly ridiculous. There are enough siblings who are completely different, in music amongst other areas, to justify it being purely case-by-case.

Raistlin1040
2009-06-01, 09:56 PM
Nightwish=Friggin Awesome.

They were better with Tarja though.

Killer Angel
2009-06-03, 03:41 AM

Waht kind of metal do you listen? ...well, what metal bands do you know?

I sometimes go to sleep to Cob. :smallsmile:

Depending on circumstances... i slept even with Motorhead.
Hell, I falled partially asleep even 20 minutes during a Black sabbath concert (headliners in an open air festival. Organised in full summer in a great asphalted parking area :smallsigh:)

Narmoth
2009-06-03, 04:23 AM
While it works in some cases, declaring it as a "duty" of the older person is utterly ridiculous. There are enough siblings who are completely different, in music amongst other areas, to justify it being purely case-by-case.

Of course, if you want to pass up on an opportunity to have something in common with your sibling that bridges most age gaps and is fun for many years to come, that's up to you...

But I've been to Iron Maiden and Porcupine Tree with my elder brother, and Hammerfall, Dark Tranquillity and a lot other bands with my little sister, and I thought it was a great time to spend time together

Nameless
2009-06-03, 04:30 AM
Nightwish=Friggin Awesome.

They were better with Tarja though.

This is so gonna start a Tarja Vs Anneta argument... :smalltongue:

Dragor
2009-06-03, 04:44 AM
I love both Nightwishes (is that the right term? xD) equally. I think they both have tremendous talent, although I shudder at Anette's dancing in their videos. I think the band is really going somewhere with Anette, and while some of the songs are really poppy, and giving a false impression that Dark Passion Play is a really poppy album (which it isn't, just all the videos are of the more poppy songs, bar Islander), some of them are really good and new- Sahara is my favourite.

I think Tarja's got a good career solo, now, and people can get their Tarja fix by listening to her. :smallbiggrin:

toasty
2009-06-03, 09:57 AM
I love both Nightwishes (is that the right term? xD) equally. I think they both have tremendous talent, although I shudder at Anette's dancing in their videos. I think the band is really going somewhere with Anette, and while some of the songs are really poppy, and giving a false impression that Dark Passion Play is a really poppy album (which it isn't, just all the videos are of the more poppy songs, bar Islander), some of them are really good and new- Sahara is my favourite.

Heh... I like the poppy sounds. Bye Bye Beautiful and Amaranth are some of my favorite songs period.

I think Tarja's got a good career solo, now, and people can get their Tarja fix by listening to her. :smallbiggrin:

I actually hated her solo album... it was rather disapointing IMO.

Personally? I think I prefer the less operatic Tarja. My favorite Nightwish album with her is Century Child (which, funnily enough, is Marco's first album. Yes, I do love Marco's voice. :)). I don't like to compare Tarja to Annette because they are both very different singers, but I do think that, musically, Dark Passion Play is Nightwish's best album to date. Overall I like it a lot, but I'm not sure I want to compare it to their previous work with Tarja.

KhorneBerserker
2009-06-03, 05:36 PM
My favorite Nightwish album is Once.

But Nightwish is one of the most overrated female fronted metal bands around, next to Lacuna Coil.

Battlelore is significantly better, imo. All of their songs, (ALL of them), are about Middle Earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16YMFD8XZ0I

Leaves' Eyes is better as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vw2O3hs-yo

toasty
2009-06-03, 08:55 PM
Battlelore is significantly better, imo. All of their songs, (ALL of them), are about Middle Earth.

Battlelore doesn't have as good lyrics, a boring male vocalist, and somewhat dull music. All IMO of course.

I don't think Nightwish is that overrated. I do think that they probably get more than their fare share of the limelight compared to equally talented bands such as Epica or Within Temptation, though.

And funnily enough, while I like Nemo, I don't really like Once that much... can't exactly tell why though.

Lord of the Helms
2009-06-03, 10:41 PM
Eh. Leaves Eyes never did it for me. Generic goth band with pretty female singer playing at one constant speed.

Battlelore is kinda cute and fun.

Nightwish? I loved them best on their earlier works. Basically, the first three albums (Oceanborn and Wishmaster are my favorites), plus the Over the Hills and Far Away single. From Wishes to Eternity (live) is a great summary of Nightwish's career imo. The energy was there, the music was right, the vocals were the best by far. After that, I found them kinda meh, before they disbanded in 2005. Now there's only a Nightwish cover band with one album of their own out there :smalltongue:

(And yes, Tarja's solo album was indeed not pleaseant, mildly speaking)

Klose_the_Sith
2009-06-04, 04:00 AM
Of course, if you want to pass up on an opportunity to have something in common with your sibling that bridges most age gaps and is fun for many years to come, that's up to you...

But I've been to Iron Maiden and Porcupine Tree with my elder brother, and Hammerfall, Dark Tranquillity and a lot other bands with my little sister, and I thought it was a great time to spend time together

Yeah, you're right, we should just assume wildly and act like we're both all knowing and omniscient.

I said that it was case by case, but perhaps you didn't actually hear me, so have another: It all depends on the particular people involved.

I have seen families brought together by music and families (literally) torn apart. A friend of mine who is the sister of another friend of mine is currently living several (Australian) states away. Want to know why? Musical differences and strength of opinion.

I'm glad to hear that you had good experiences, but don't act like it creates a flawless system to which we should all adhere.

Dragor
2009-06-04, 05:00 AM
Eh. Leaves Eyes never did it for me. Generic goth band with pretty female singer playing at one constant speed.

Seconded. I've listened to a few Leaves Eyes stuff, and it's never really clicked with me. Felt like I should be liking it, but nothing really struck out, it was all very samey.

I seem to be only getting along with extreme female metal singers at the moment, with the exception of the underrated Eyes of Eden (http://www.myspace.com/eyesofedenband), a great band I found randomly. Quite haunting, quite gothic. Quality on Myspace is probably dubious.

Behemoth is a band I've been listening to nigh constantly lately, and I'm not usually a fan of such noisy metal, but the drums are practically hypnotic, and the vocals so in-your-face and aggressive that it's almost some sort of perverse art. I've listened to their older, more black metal stuff and didn't prefer it. I musn't be kvlt enough. :smalltongue:

Ceska
2009-06-04, 06:14 AM
The only thing 'in your face' about Behemoth's newer vocals is how fake they sound. They're still quite good, and I like them, but they also scream artificially lowered.

toasty
2009-06-04, 06:17 AM
Nightwish? I loved them best on their earlier works. Basically, the first three albums (Oceanborn and Wishmaster are my favorites)

... are you implying you like Angels Fall First? Because, IMO, that is maybe some of the worst music I've heard on a recorded album. Though that might be an exaggeration because of how much better Nightwish got after that.

Lord of the Helms
2009-06-04, 12:09 PM
... are you implying you like Angels Fall First? Because, IMO, that is maybe some of the worst music I've heard on a recorded album. Though that might be an exaggeration because of how much better Nightwish got after that.

Oh yes. The production got much better on the later albums, and Tuomas' occasional male vocals were dreadfully poor, but the actual music was for the most part brilliant. Elvenpath, Beauty and the Beast, Angels Fall First, Know When the Nightingale sings and the "Lappi" songs at the end stand out particular (seriously, I dare you, listen to Know Why The Nightingale Sings and tell me, with a straight face, that it's not brilliant), but honestly, I can't think of even a single song on there I don't enjoy.

Dragor
2009-06-04, 03:18 PM
The only thing 'in your face' about Behemoth's newer vocals is how fake they sound. They're still quite good, and I like them, but they also scream artificially lowered.

They do? Wow. That disheartens me. Maybe I just don't have a good enough ear to notice.

Possibly some of the most annoying altered vocals I've ever heard was Angela Gossow on the Doomsday Machine album. I'm a massive Arch Enemy fan, but I really don't like album bar Nemesis and My Apocalypse because of all the 'experimentation' they did with her voice, totally taking the edge off it and making it sound like she was underwater. Scuba diving Angela Gossow, great. D:

Killer Angel
2009-06-05, 02:09 AM

The firt NW's album i've heard, was AFF... I like it sufficiently to listen also Oceanborn, and then Wishmaster.
Wishmaster's NW are decisely better than Angels Falls, but AFF it's not a bad album.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-05, 07:59 PM
So I got a job for the summer, and this gives me lots of time to listen to music. So far I've been going over stuff I missed earlier, stuff I overlooked or stuff I failed to appreciate sufficiently.

In the third category: Virgin Steele's "Invictus". I had heard that it was the best of the "heaven and hell" trilogy, but I preferred #1. That may have changed today :smallbiggrin: I swear, VS writes the best lyrics I've ever heard form a metal band. They are somehow epic without being cheesy (Rhapsody, I'm looking at you), at times moving, at times full of rage, but always the height of epic-ness. I know that word gets overused a lot, but it really does apply here.

"Lashed by the Winds of Fate
Stung by the Gods of Hate
I'm Rising in Power through
Murdering Rain

Stronger than Faith allows
Braver than Hero's Vows
My Head is Bloody,
but I am unbowed...
I am Power"

Also, I just listened to Strapping Young Lad for the first time today, and it was badass.

TSED
2009-06-06, 08:57 PM
I practice my death / black vocals on my walks to and from work.

During Anata's Entropy Within, I actually managed to set off a car alarm.

From halfway down the street.

My throat is a metal god.

Jalor
2009-06-06, 09:06 PM

If your throat is a metal god, you must be an entire friggin' pantheon.

TSED
2009-06-06, 09:15 PM
If your throat is a metal god, you must be an entire friggin' pantheon.

Hmm.

My neck is the God of headbanging because during Paganfest I headbanged for an entire Moonsorrow song (all 11+ minutes of it).

My fingers are the Gods of Air Guitar (the Gods of Guitar belong to some one else, unfortunately).

Eh whatever close enough. Thanks.

Jalor
2009-06-06, 09:26 PM
My fingers are the Gods of Air Guitar (the Gods of Guitar belong to some one else, unfortunately).

Wouldn't that be your arm, or your wrist? Accurate fingerings are rarely the focus of air guitar.

Unfortunately for me, my wrist is merely an aspect of Slaanesh.

TSED
2009-06-06, 10:34 PM
Wouldn't that be your arm, or your wrist? Accurate fingerings are rarely the focus of air guitar.

Unfortunately for me, my wrist is merely an aspect of Slaanesh.

Hey hey hey leave my wrists (and apparently yours, too) out of this, it's a PG-13 forum.

But nah, my air guitar isn't quite accurate but it's close enough. It just looks more dramatic to do it the way I do it.

I air guitar while practicing my vocals, by the way. Doing things for years with over 5 hours of practice a week makes you good at said things.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-07, 12:07 AM

Dude, thats awesome. I always wanted to learn how to do black/death vocals. Got any advice?

TSED
2009-06-07, 12:43 AM
Dude, thats awesome. I always wanted to learn how to do black/death vocals. Got any advice?

You know that feeling when you burp? It's like that only higher up in your throat. The difference is you don't want that rattling; you try to move your vocal cords fast enough (via air flow) that you can't hear the fluctuations.

Warning, this is LOUD. My 'quiet' growls are about on par with my normal speaking voice, and once during band practice (back when I had a band, sigh) if I went full volume I literally drowned out even the drums and made the floor SHAKE. They told me not to do that because, you know, afraid of collapsing building and I made their ears hurt.

(You don't know how empowering it is to have your voice shake the floor, by the way. It is so awesome.)

Now, a lot of people say "it comes from your diaphragm" but I don't entirely agree with that. Sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't. Depends on the tone you're going for. It USUALLY is stronger and more agressive from the diaphragm, but that isn't what you're always looking for.

Second off, when you start you'll suck. I did too. I can't tell you how I clicked into the 'good' vocals, but I DO know it happened pretty much instantly. I was walking home, middle of winter, it was dark (fairly far north, Canada), it wasn't terribly cold (by my standards, it could've been anywhere from -20 to -5), and I was blasting Arch Enemy. Can't tell you if it was Doomsday Machine or Wages of Sin but it was one of the two, back when I didn't know many death metal bands. I doubt following the same set up would work for you exactly, I'm basically just saying 'practice.'

Anyways, it just... happened. Somewhere mid-walk my vocals drastically got stronger, louder, better, clearer, etc. I made growly noises as a kid a lot, it was kind of my 'thing' when I was playing with friends (I'd be a bad guy!) but I have no idea if that affected what I can do now. (If you're curious, I stopped that in like... grade 2 or 3 tops and I started up again the year after I graduated highschool. A decade's a pretty big gap, after all...)

Something I want to stress is that you need to find a way to do it with stamina. If you have the most amazing growl in the world but can't even finish a 10 minute song with it... Useless. It's... adequate for it to feel raw or sore after a while but it's much better to find a technique where it doesn't stress your throat at all. For example, I can basically growl all day and not feel anything hurty. When I growl improperly and it sounds bad, it also tends to make my throat go 'ow hey what's up with that' which lets me make the necessary adjustments.

DraPrime
2009-06-07, 05:22 PM
So I think I just found a totally awesome metal joke-band. Check out Nanowar. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq-x7K8UU1k&feature=related)

Nameless
2009-06-07, 05:41 PM
This is the true metal steel!
This is the true meettaal steeel!
:smallbiggrin:

DraPrime
2009-06-07, 05:44 PM
I'd post another song of theirs that's a cover of Number of the Beast, but I'm pretty sure forum rules don't allow a song about hookers. All I'll give is their version of the spoken intro.

Forgive me, oh mum and dad
For the telecom sent the bill with wrath,
But i believed that the call was short
Let him who hasn't a girlfriend
Go and call the number of the b***h
Even if it is an expensive number, this number is 166 166 166

It gets muuuuuuch better.

derfos
2009-06-08, 01:27 PM
I'd post another song of theirs that's a cover of Number of the Beast, but I'm pretty sure forum rules don't allow a song about hookers. All I'll give is their version of the spoken intro.

Forgive me, oh mum and dad
For the telecom sent the bill with wrath,
But i believed that the call was short
Let him who hasn't a girlfriend
Go and call the number of the b***h
Even if it is an expensive number, this number is 166 166 166

It gets muuuuuuch better.

Yeah, Nanowar is classic, but if you want an absolutely hilarious metal cover band, you have to listen to the Ten Masked Men (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btYg7xVmF-4).

TSED
2009-06-08, 03:24 PM
Ten Masked Men aren't hilarious, they're just decent death covers.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-06-09, 03:27 AM
None of these are hilarious.
****'n elitists
There, I said it.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-11, 10:59 AM
So is anyone going to be seeing Atheist this summer? I've gone to way too many shows this year, but I still missed Destruction, Napalm Death, Krisiun and Cynic. I won't allow myself to miss this one.

derfos
2009-06-11, 09:34 PM
I don't find the songs hilarious, I find the fact that someone thought of turning Living La Vida Loca or Staying Alive into death metal pretty funny. The songs aren't even that great, but I can't listen to the Ten Masked Men without a smile on my face.

On another note, I am extremely pissed off that no good bands are touring western Canada this summer. Even Summer Slaughter is just skipping the prairies.

I do get to see Warbringer AND Krisiun opening for Obituary in September, and it's going to be a brutal show, but there is nothing coming my way for the next 3 months...

TSED
2009-06-11, 09:57 PM
I don't find the songs hilarious, I find the fact that someone thought of turning Living La Vida Loca or Staying Alive into death metal pretty funny. The songs aren't even that great, but I can't listen to the Ten Masked Men without a smile on my face.

On another note, I am extremely pissed off that no good bands are touring western Canada this summer. Even Summer Slaughter is just skipping the prairies.

I do get to see Warbringer AND Krisiun opening for Obituary in September, and it's going to be a brutal show, but there is nothing coming my way for the next 3 months...

I so hear that.

Where do you live? Summer Slaughter IS hitting Calgary, but if you're in Edmonton or Sask / Mani you're kind of screwed.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-12, 08:17 AM
Summer slaughter is going to own...seeing Necrophagist and Ensiferum at the same show is so crazy.

toasty
2009-06-13, 11:22 AM
I just got Twilight of the Thunder God.

OMG IT IS TEH PWNOZORAGE (or however you say it in internet speak)

DraPrime
2009-06-13, 11:51 AM

Yes, it is. Very much so.

derfos
2009-06-13, 12:50 PM

Truer words have never been said.
I just got Arsis' We Are The Nightmare - just blew me away...

DraPrime
2009-06-13, 12:58 PM
So Ozzy is suing Tony Iommi. (http://metalstorm.ee/events/news_comments.php?news_id=8855) Who else here suspects Sharon Osbourne put him up to this?

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-13, 03:29 PM
Truer words have never been said.
I just got Arsis' We Are The Nightmare - just blew me away...

Oh man, that album kicks so much ass. I don't even like melodeath that much, but man! Favorite song: Overthrown

So Ozzy is suing Tony Iommi. (http://metalstorm.ee/events/news_comments.php?news_id=8855) Who else here suspects Sharon Osbourne put him up to this?

Iommi > Ozzy. I don't think Ozzy knows what a lawsuit is at this point.

Nameless
2009-06-14, 02:31 PM
Guys! Guess who's signiture I got today! I'll give you a few clues; he's a drummer, his first name is Niko McBrian and he's in Iron Maiden. :smallamused:

DraPrime
2009-06-14, 04:49 PM
Guys! Guess who's signiture I got today! I'll give you a few clues; he's a drummer, his first name is Niko McBrian and he's in Iron Maiden. :smallamused:

Lucky! I've always wanted something signed by Dave Mustaine.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-06-14, 07:06 PM
Thats pretty awesome Nameless. So... what did you get signed? http://forums.penny-arcade.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Also, I ran across this band, Devildriver (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ5m7S2nqB8), the other day. I have a hard time with the death growls in alot of bands, but I like these guys just fine. Just fine indeed.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-06-14, 09:49 PM
So, I don't usually listen to Metal a lot, but I love it, and I need moar. I only really listen to a few bands regularily, and I don't even know enough about them to know which one's their best album. I listen to Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Amon Amarth. Recommendations?

derfos
2009-06-14, 11:04 PM
So, I don't usually listen to Metal a lot, but I love it, and I need moar. I only really listen to a few bands regularily, and I don't even know enough about them to know which one's their best album. I listen to Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Amon Amarth. Recommendations?

If you like Metallica, do more thrash: Megadeth, Slayer, Exodus, Overkill.
If you like Iron Maiden, power metal: Hammerfall, Iced Earth, Helloween, Rhapsody.
If you like Amon Amarth, melodeath: In Flames (their old stuff only - my personal favourite album is Whoracle), Amorphis, Kalmah, Children of Bodom and a personal favourite Swallow the Sun.

For anyone new to metal, I recommend Wintersun - only one album with 10 songs, but one of the best I've ever heard.

Nameless
2009-06-15, 04:09 AM
If you like Metallica, do more thrash: Megadeth, Slayer, Exodus, Overkill.
If you like Iron Maiden, power metal: Hammerfall, Iced Earth, Helloween, Rhapsody.
If you like Amon Amarth, melodeath: In Flames (their old stuff only - my personal favourite album is Whoracle), Amorphis, Kalmah, Children of Bodom and a personal favourite Swallow the Sun.

For anyone new to metal, I recommend Wintersun - only one album with 10 songs, but one of the best I've ever heard.

Adding to the Thrash list: Testemant, Trivium, Machinehead, Pantera
Adding to the Maiden list: Saxon, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Doro, ManOWar
Adding to the Amon Amarth: Turisas, Norther, Eluveitie, Fintroll. Ensiferum

Thats pretty awesome Nameless. So... what did you get signed? http://forums.penny-arcade.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Just my ticket. :smalltongue:

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-15, 05:50 AM

Check out the "guide to metal" in my sig. Its not comprehensive, but its scope is grand. The thrash section is pretty good too.

TSED
2009-06-15, 05:59 AM
I feel pain because:

1) Swallow the Sun is doom. Dooooooooooooooom!
2) Children of Bodom makes me sad inside.
3) So does Trivium.
4) There's no doom section in general.
5) So many great bands were skipped. Where's The Absence, Agalloch, Acid Bath, Anata, Arch Enemy (frig they're on Amon Amarth-level infamousy), Death, Dark Tranquillity (who WROTE all of the old In Flames stuff!), Insomnium, Judas Priest, Moonsorrow, Primordial, Russian Circles, Skyclad, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.?
6) Where's the black section?
7) Heck, or even prog?

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-15, 07:23 PM
I feel pain because:

3) So does Trivium.
5) So many great bands were skipped. Where's The Absence, Agalloch, Acid Bath, Anata, Arch Enemy (frig they're on Amon Amarth-level infamousy), Death, Dark Tranquillity (who WROTE all of the old In Flames stuff!), Insomnium, Judas Priest, Moonsorrow, Primordial, Russian Circles, Skyclad, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.?
7) Heck, or even prog?

Wait, were you talking about my list or somebody other person's list?

TSED
2009-06-15, 11:28 PM
Not yours, no.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-06-16, 08:28 PM
This thread needs to start a power metal band O_O

Less discussion more steel related heroism! :smallbiggrin:

derfos
2009-06-16, 09:43 PM
I feel pain because:

3) So does Trivium.
7) Heck, or even prog?

1) Swallow the Sun is Melodic Death/Doom - there's a lot of New Amorphis-like sound to them if you listen hard enough.
2) COB's first few albums were actually pretty good, it's just their new stuff that makes metalheads cringe.
3) Trivium is metalcore, which is as light as you can get while still calling yourself metal (and many would say it's not metal at all). Trivium (and most -core) is the Diet Coke of metal.
4) I don't know what list you're talking about.
5) Haven't heard Acid Bath or Russian Circles, will check them out. I happen to like old In Flames better than Dark Tranquility (must be the more significant power metal influence which I love). The Absence is a very underrated melodeath band which I love. Moonsorrow is just great (saw them play Jotunheim live - 20 minutes of a heaven-like state).

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-16, 09:55 PM
This thread needs to start a power metal band O_O

Less discussion more steel related heroism! :smallbiggrin:

What would the band be called? I've already thought up names for my fictional thrash band (Lasgun Massacre) and my fictional black metal band (Rapeskög), but I've never given a thought to fake power metal groups. How about Ritual of Steel?

Mr. Mud
2009-06-17, 09:11 AM
Right so, in the spirit of anniversaries, I got my girlfriend and iPod, in hopes of getting her a bit deeper into metal...

I know she likes prog (at least what I've showed her...) and doesn't care for my beloved thrash as much as we do. So I burned her a mix CD of Opeth and some Dream Theater... Played her some Incubus and that worked great.

But what kind of Prog (and maybe traditional... Probably 'Maiden.) would you guys suggest, besides the 3 Aforementioned, since I'm not into it as much as I am other metal... Queensyrche? Black Jester? Fall of Troy? Thought on any of those...? Should I buy all the CDs or avoid some like the plague?

Any input is greatly appreciated :smallbiggrin:.

Faulty
2009-06-17, 12:15 PM

Artillery (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAROgPaz7z0), Toxik (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBsOMPQthfw&feature=related), Municipal Waste (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evF80GEuVe8), Skyclad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f36AeaDt_rQ), Dark Lunacy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEq6HZTHu4g), Dismember (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUSnqgKipN8), Unleashed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyKKl0aqwAc), The Project Hate MCMXCIX (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy0XzpvBiZ0), King Diamond (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6pRJhP4Lrw).

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-17, 06:38 PM
Right so, in the spirit of anniversaries, I got my girlfriend and iPod, in hopes of getting her a bit deeper into metal...

I know she likes prog (at least what I've showed her...) and doesn't care for my beloved thrash as much as we do. So I burned her a mix CD of Opeth and some Dream Theater... Played her some Incubus and that worked great.

But what kind of Prog (and maybe traditional... Probably 'Maiden.) would you guys suggest, besides the 3 Aforementioned, since I'm not into it as much as I am other metal... Queensyrche? Black Jester? Fall of Troy? Thought on any of those...? Should I buy all the CDs or avoid some like the plague?

If she can stand black metal, some Emperor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7u6lTWQLFs) or Satyricon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X64BM3Xu5hA) might be nice.

Also, Virgin Steele (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar8zBkwwYbk), because I recommend them to everyone.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-06-17, 06:52 PM
What would the band be called? I've already thought up names for my fictional thrash band (Lasgun Massacre) and my fictional black metal band (Rapeskög), but I've never given a thought to fake power metal groups. How about Ritual of Steel?

(:smallbiggrin:@lasgun massacre)

Ritual of Steel is decent, but I was thinking something with an avalanche/landslide. I dunno, I'm gonna start an actual power metal band with a friend (which we hope to call Crimson Skull Fire) which is what started this whole thing.

3) Trivium is metalcore, which is as light as you can get while still calling yourself metal (and many would say it's not metal at all). Trivium (and most -core) is the Diet Coke of metal.

*Beats with a 10 foot pole*

Never say that again. Ever.

Nameless
2009-06-17, 06:59 PM

No. NO. NO!
Triviums FIRST albums was metalcore, their other two albums after that are Thrash.
And Metalcore is also good.

DeathKnight
2009-06-17, 09:17 PM
Hola.

I had to post once I saw that Trivium was mentioned...

for Trivium I've decided not to slap a genre sticker on the band as a whole. But rather each song simply because their songs change genres on you in the middle of an album. For example, compare Like Light To the Flies to Dying in Your Arms. They are definitely NOT in the same genre. Light to the Flies is simply a flat out Metal bordering Heavy Metal. While Dying in your Arms is more Metalcore/Hard Rock.

Just want to ask... (not sure if these have been discussed)

Opinions on:

lamb of god
Kataklysm
Heaven Shall Burn
Vader
Nu-Metal
Cannibal Corpse (I despise them myself, but wanting third opinions.)

and the classic Debate where I live...
Is SlipKnoT heavier than Disturbed?
I absolutely think that SlipKnoT at its lightest is still heavier than Disturbed at its heaviest. I just want confirmation from neutral parties so I can get my friend to realize that he is completely wrong. (Note that these are two of my favorite bands, so I am not picking favorites)

toasty
2009-06-17, 09:42 PM
I've never listened to Slipknot but honestly, it depends on which Disturbed album you're talking about... their 3rd and 4th were very different than their first two...

Myatar_Panwar
2009-06-17, 10:49 PM

Who gives a sh**?

Seriously. Debating their "heaviness" or whatever is just dumb. I don't even know if you can do that.

Slipknot is stranger, for sure. Their lyrics are more radical. Uhh yeah.

TSED
2009-06-18, 04:40 AM
Never say that again. Ever.

Some people just can't handle the truth. :smallfrown:

Try out Silent Call and Kalijuge.

Opinions on:

lamb of god

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Kataklysm

I love their music but am not too keen of their vocalist. Oh well.

Heaven Shall Burn
Actually only have heard one song by them, it was a cover. It was glorious.

Vader
Actually, this band is entirely unfamiliar to me. I know the name, do not know the music.

Nu-Metal

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I think they're hilarious in a "oh man I can't believe they actually did that!" kind of way. Wouldn't actively listen to them, though...

Well, ok, I would in one case. But that's because she's hot.

1) Slipknot is metalcore
2) Disturbed is hard rock
3) I believe that metalcore is 'heavier' than 'hardrock' with the exclusion of exceptional cases.
4) I don't believe Slipknot or Disturbed are exceptional.
ergo,
I suppose I would think Slipknot is heavier than Disturbed.

HOWEVER:
This does not solve the problem that they both really, really suck.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-06-18, 07:17 AM
Some people just can't handle the truth. :smallfrown:

You might get there some day, with professional help.

Hola.

I had to post once I saw that Trivium was mentioned...

for Trivium I've decided not to slap a genre sticker on the band as a whole. But rather each song simply because their songs change genres on you in the middle of an album. For example, compare Like Light To the Flies to Dying in Your Arms. They are definitely NOT in the same genre. Light to the Flies is simply a flat out Metal bordering Heavy Metal. While Dying in your Arms is more Metalcore/Hard Rock.

Yeah, that's a fairly good approach, but tbh I view Trivium as metalcore for the first couple albums, The Crusade was thrash and Shogun is what me and my mates refer to as 'Thrashcore'.

Opinions on:

Most people in this thread have terrible opinions, me included (Basically ignore EVERYTHING TSED says). Don't expect anything useful.

lamb of god

So easily my favourite Death metal.

Kataklysm
Heaven Shall Burn
Vader
Nu-Metal

I can take or leave it.

Well I never cared for them until they released their most recent album Evisceration Plague, I was hearing some good things about it so I decided to check that **** out and I was rapidly converted. Also? Hammer Smashed Face. There are basically no songs better then it.

I absolutely think that SlipKnoT at its lightest is still heavier than Disturbed at its heaviest. I just want confirmation from neutral parties so I can get my friend to realize that he is completely wrong. (Note that these are two of my favorite bands, so I am not picking favorites)

Heavier? Pishbleh.

Personally I'd have Slipknot heavier in general, but Disturbed have got a much more aggressive style of vocals really (Eww @ Corey Taylor's quasi emo-ness when he gets going).

Plus the guitar work for Disturbed? Possibly less bite to it but there's definitely serious crunch behind Donegan that knot haven't found despite having more of the ****ing things.

So personally I'd have them about even, but I greeeeeeatly prefer Disturbed.

TSED
2009-06-18, 08:34 AM
I'm a metal elitist, baby, and I am held to no one's standards but my own.

(Every one else is, too.)

Mr. Mud
2009-06-18, 09:54 AM
Okay, thanks for the advice everyone... I ahve the ultimate Prog Playlist with hints of thrash here and there... and a song by Morbid angel or two...

As for the Cannibal Corpse:

I absolutely despise them. And most bands like then... I'm not even sure if I;m allowed to post a link with the title of some of there songs, but how can anyone here, learned in metal as you are, listen to songs by Cannibal Corpse, and other similar bands... Try the Lesser known Guttural Engorgement (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqnibc5Th-c). Songs like that are just.... bleh.

Faulty
2009-06-18, 11:37 AM
I'm a metal elitist, baby, and I am held to no one's standards but my own.

(Every one else is, too.)

You sound like my type. Wanna screw?

Nameless
2009-06-18, 11:45 AM
1) Slipknot is metalcore
2) Disturbed is hard rock
3) I believe that metalcore is 'heavier' than 'hardrock' with the exclusion of exceptional cases.
4) I don't believe Slipknot or Disturbed are exceptional.
ergo,
I suppose I would think Slipknot is heavier than Disturbed.

1- Slipknot's first album was Nu metal, other then that, they're Alternative Metal NOT Metalcore.
2- Disturbed is Nu Metal.

EDIT: CC are okay, but over-rated. I prefer Melodic Death metal like Norther and CoB personally.
I never really liked the burpy vocals much, I find them too mono-tone and boreing.
Also, Arch Enemy are awesome. :D

Faulty
2009-06-18, 12:10 PM
There's no such genre as Alternative Metal.

Nameless
2009-06-18, 12:22 PM
There's no such genre as Alternative Metal.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_metal) would disagree.

System of a Down and Stone Sour are good examples.

DeathKnight
2009-06-18, 12:24 PM
In all honesty the genres people slap on bands varies by region. Talking to people from New Hampshire (where I live) and then people from Massachusetts who listen to the exact same bands, have entirely different views on the same material. Suffice to say that I really wanted to see how people would react. And as to Disturbed's classification, I'd have to say their first album was mostly Hard Rock to bordering Metal. Then their newer stuffs with the exception of a few songs off of Indestructible are absolutely Nu-Metal.

And I acknowledge that Disturbed Vocals are much more aggressive, while SlipKnoT's lyrics are more radical and aggressive. As to the Guitar, I'd say they are about even. Drums and Bass are usually what people in my area refer to for gauging "Heaviness". And by that regard, I believe SlipKnoT is entirely above Disturbed.

Again, these are entirely my Opinions.

Oh and one more, "Pig Squealing" Yes or No?

(I say a certain... HELL NO, regardless of the fact that I am one of three in my town that can actually do it.)

Faulty
2009-06-18, 02:57 PM
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_metal) would disagree.

System of a Down and Stone Sour are good examples.

Wikipedia is one of the worst places on the net to get information about Metal. SoaD and Stone Sour are Rock bands.

Nu-Metal isn't even a genre of Metal.

xanaphia
2009-06-18, 04:05 PM
You're saying SOAD isn't metal? What about Sugar, BYOB, and Psycho, just to name a few.

My taste in metal:

Lamb of God

SOAD

Some Slipknot

Dream Theatre

Liquid Tension Experiment

Also, what genre would you say the metal song I made which is in my sig is?

Faulty
2009-06-18, 04:09 PM
I own SOAD's discography. I am indeed saying that they are not Metal. I'll listen to your sig song later, I'm getting off on Cocteau Twins at the moment.

Nameless
2009-06-18, 04:12 PM
Wikipedia is one of the worst places on the net to get information about Metal. SoaD and Stone Sour are Rock bands.

Nu-Metal isn't even a genre of Metal.

Um, yes it is. nu-METAL. It's in the name, the music has metal aspects and sound.

And While I partly agree with you on the wikipedia is the worst place to get info on metal, Alternative Metal still exists, the term is used a lot and a lot of what wikipedia says about Alt Metal is true.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-18, 04:12 PM
I own SOAD's discography. I am indeed saying that they are not Metal. I'll listen to your sig song later, I'm getting off on Cocteau Twins at the moment.

SoaD not metal? Are they just really really hard prog rock or something? What does their discography say...?

And bumping:
Okay, thanks for the advice everyone... I ahve the ultimate Prog Playlist with hints of thrash here and there... and a song by Morbid angel or two...

I absolutely despise them. And most bands like then... I'm not even sure if I;m allowed to post a link with the title of some of there songs, but how can anyone here, learned in metal as you are, listen to songs by Cannibal Corpse, and other similar bands... Try the Lesser known Guttural Engorgement (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqnibc5Th-c). Songs like that are just.... bleh.

Faulty
2009-06-18, 05:15 PM
Um, yes it is. nu-METAL. It's in the name, the music has metal aspects and sound.

Just because it's called "soy milk" doesn't mean it's actually milk. Nu-Metal is just a snappy name for really loud and aggressive rock music.

Nameless
2009-06-18, 06:00 PM
Just because it's called "soy milk" doesn't mean it's actually milk. Nu-Metal is just a snappy name for really loud and aggressive rock music.

What gives you the right to decide that Nu-Metal isn't metal? It's been accepted as a metal sub-genre ever since it was created. Not including the people who think everything isn't "tr00".

Myatar_Panwar
2009-06-18, 07:21 PM

Yeah just like hard rock is just a snappy name for less noisy and aggressive metal music.

Seriously? If you won't accept Wikipedia, then give us some other source.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-18, 07:49 PM
Looks like its on like Michelle Kwan up in here.

What gives you the right to decide that Nu-Metal isn't metal? It's been accepted as a metal sub-genre ever since it was created.

No, it hasn't. What gives you the right to decide that "nu-metal" is metal?

No, no, hell no.

Opinions on:

lamb of god
Kataklysm
Heaven Shall Burn
Vader
Nu-Metal

Lamb of god -- no me gusta.

Kataklysm -- only heard one album, but I remember liking it.

Heaven shall burn -- never listened to em. crappy band name.

Vader -- they have their own energy drink in Poland.

Nu-metal -- a label concocted by idiots at Rolling Stone to tenuously link ****ty music to actual metal.

Cannibal Corpse -- they are the Dragonforce of death metal. Some of their songs are pretty good, and I have to admit that "hammer smashed face" is one of my favorite death metal songs. But I find them sorta boring, and the whole gore thing doesn't do it for me. I prefer my death metal lyrics to be more Morbid Angel/Death type stuff. I let Necrophagist slide because of all the widdly-woo guitar heroics.

Slipknot is both louder and crappier than disturbed. I suppose the former makes them heavier? You want heavyness, you need to listen to some Ahab (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP6xn7uLBGw&feature=PlayList&p=82F7E0EB322C2894&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1).

Faulty
2009-06-18, 09:18 PM
Nu-metal -- a label concocted by idiots at Rolling Stone to tenuously link ****ty music to actual metal.

You want heavyness, you need to listen to some Ahab (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP6xn7uLBGw&feature=PlayList&p=82F7E0EB322C2894&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1).

Well hello there, stud.

Anyway, in all seriousness. If you want a counter source, go to Metal Archives (http://www.metal-archives.com/index.php) and search "Nu-Metal" in genre. You will find two bands come up, and only because they were only Nu-Metal for part of their careers.

TSED
2009-06-18, 11:20 PM
You sound like my type. Wanna screw?

The way you're handling yourself in here, it's tempting. Wanna grow a vagina?

I am going to quote a character from some TV show I watched as a child.

"Well isn't that cute? BUT IT'S WROOOOOOOOOOOOONG!

This has been explained adequately for me to think that was sufficient.

Drums and Bass are usually what people in my area refer to for gauging "Heaviness". And by that regard, I believe SlipKnoT is entirely above Disturbed.

This was my interpretation as well.

(I say a certain... HELL NO, regardless of the fact that I am one of three in my town that can actually do it.)

I want to scream 'no' really loudly, but I've heard them used for good. I mean, just look at THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIqPbZ20EXI&feature=channel_page) and you'll know what I mean.

1- Slipknot's first album was Nu metal, other then that, they're Alternative Metal NOT Metalcore.
2- Disturbed is Nu Metal.

Bah, I can't even finish listening to a single song by them, how would I listen to enough to wrap my head around the band's sound as a whole?

EDIT: CC are okay, but over-rated. I prefer Melodic Death metal like Norther and CoB personally.
I never really liked the burpy vocals much, I find them too mono-tone and boreing.
Also, Arch Enemy are awesome. :D

Arch Enemy are pretty good I think. But I find that Norther and CoB are the bad side and bands like The Absence and Dark Tranquillity are the good side of melodeath.

Autopsibiofeeder
2009-06-19, 01:40 AM
For those people that enjoy the more technical and melodic death: Has Obscura (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mesr2siegRg&feature=fvst) been mentioned? Brought out an awesome album a few months ago.

Death meeting Necrophagist, in my opinion. Great drummer, awesome fretless bass playing and melodies that stick, while remaining brutal. There's more on their myspace.

Narmoth
2009-06-19, 01:47 AM
Not bad, Autopsibiofeed. Sounds a bit to much like Dark Tranquillity at some points, but that's the fault of most Melodic Death influenced by Gothenburg MD. Funny bass riff at around 2:40. Not so interesting solo though.
They could have more challenging melodies, but all in all, not an unpleasant experience.

Killer Angel
2009-06-19, 01:57 AM

I absolutely despise them. And most bands like then...

I'm not a great fan of the genre, but when I'm in the "right" mood, I listen to them.
But I like more six feet under, then CC... same for Chris Barnes (i like him more in SFU version)

Nameless
2009-06-19, 04:20 AM
No, it hasn't. What gives you the right to decide that "nu-metal" is metal?

Because it was created a metal sub-genre? Because it has a metal sound? Because it's widely accepted by the music industry, most musicians and fans as a metal sub genre? Because it's in the name?
That's like me coming up and randomly saying "Death Metal isn't a Metal sub-genre". Uhh, yes it damn well is.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of Nu-Metal, there's only two or so bands I sort of like and over all I don't like it, but it's still Metal and one is going to change that.
I do have respect for it though, because it did sort of revive metal a bit back in the 90's when the whole Rap and Nu Metal thing started with the Anthrax/Public Enemy thing.

TSED
2009-06-19, 04:33 AM
Because it was created a metal sub-genre?

WRONG. Many of the first nu-metal bands even claimed that they're entirely unconnected to metal and don't want to be lumped in with them.

Because it has a metal sound?

WRONG.

Seriously. Just because it has guitars doesn't mean it's metal.

Because it's widely accepted by the music industry,

Who are trying to sell CDs to 13 year olds

most musicians

WRONG

and fans

Only the morons.

Because it's in the name?

See above. "Soy milk."

That's like me coming up and randomly saying "Death Metal isn't a Metal sub-genre". Uhh, yes it damn well is.

That's because it IS metal, unlike nu-metal.

It's more like you coming up and saying neofolk is metal.

Actually, that's a bad example. Neofolk is closer to metal than nu-metal is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of Nu-Metal, there's only two or so bands I sort of like and over all I don't like it, but it's still Metal and one is going to change that.

Actually, it's not. Why are you so wrong?

I do have respect for it though, because it did sort of revive metal a bit back in the 90's when the whole Rap and Nu Metal thing started with the Anthrax/Public Enemy thing.

Ughhh.

That is a terrible, terrible reason to respect it.

Just because it let teenagers think they're HARDCORE LOL does not mean it's a good thing.

Nameless
2009-06-19, 04:49 AM
WRONG. Many of the first nu-metal bands even claimed that they're entirely unconnected to metal and don't want to be lumped in with them.

Actually, not true. A lot of them such as Linkin Park, limp Bizkit claimed to be metal. And, also if you look at Machineheads early stuff.
Also, a lot of the hair metal and heavy metal bands claimed to just be rock, they were still metal though.

WRONG.

Seriously. Just because it has guitars doesn't mean it's metal.

What are you talking about? The whole sound is complete metal fused with hip hope/rap.

Who are trying to sell CDs to 13 year olds

WRONG

Only the morons.

See above. "Soy milk."

That's because it IS metal, unlike nu-metal.

It's more like you coming up and saying neofolk is metal.

Actually, that's a bad example. Neofolk is closer to metal than nu-metal is.

Actually, it's not. Why are you so wrong?

Ughhh.

That is a terrible, terrible reason to respect it.

Just because it let teenagers think they're HARDCORE LOL does not mean it's a good thing.

This argument is silly, you haven't made a single valid claim here.
The only reason you seem to say it's not metal is because you don't like it.
Can you actually make some valid points to try and prove why it's not metal?
All I'm hearing here is another one of those metalheads who thinks nothing is "tr00"
"Nu-mtl ant tr00 it r fals metlz LULZ stpd mainsteeeeem baby m00zix" I seriously hope you're not one of those.

TSED
2009-06-19, 07:33 AM
Actually, not true. A lot of them such as Linkin Park, limp Bizkit claimed to be metal. And, also if you look at Machineheads early stuff.

Machine Head went and turned themselves into thrash, though.

And Linkin Park? Are you seriously going to go there? Metal is practically defined by its aggression and/or pessimistic world views. Teenaged angst and mass-marketing tactics are so anti-metal it doesn't even clang when you tap it with a spoon.

What are you talking about? The whole sound is complete metal fused with hip hope/rap.

I don't hear that. I hear a removal of melody in exchange for a stronger beat when I listen. I hear the hip / hop / rap sound with added guitars, and adding guitars really doesn't make you metal.

This argument is silly, you haven't made a single valid claim here.
The only reason you seem to say it's not metal is because you don't like it.
Can you actually make some valid points to try and prove why it's not metal?

Yep! Subgenres I consider metal actively grew up on metal. They sought to push the genre, etc. etc. The big bands that became today's monoliths of metal became famous by touring with the big bands of yesterday. Let me ask you, what nu-metal band was touring with Iron Maiden? What nu-metal band was touring with Cannibal Corpse or Wintersun or Sonata Artica or whatever huge-name-every-one-has-heard-of-them metal band you want to say?

They weren't. They're at best distant cousins.

[And if you say Ozzfest I will find a way to punch you over the internet. Everyone knows that Sharon rules everything and Sharon is basically a lawyer, not metal.]

There's a major difference in legacy.

Not good enough? Fine. The riffs in nu-metal are static and unnervingly boring. The sound is not about emotion, but about money. It's so commercialized that any 'message' was sought and destroyed by the fine toothed comb of appealing to a larger market.

Metal is about stepping back and shouting that no, society is not perfect, and we're not going to do something we disagree with.

Nu-metal is either about money or showcasing philosophical inferiority.

Major difference in message.

All I'm hearing here is another one of those metalheads who thinks nothing is "tr00"
"Nu-mtl ant tr00 it r fals metlz LULZ stpd mainsteeeeem baby m00zix" I seriously hope you're not one of those.

I hate power metal. I still acknowledge it is metal. I do not like raw, stereotypical black metal. I still acknowledge it is metal. I do not like Bruce Dickinson's addition to Iron Maiden. I still acknowledge it is metal. I do not like most of Judas Priest. I still acknowledge it is metal. I do not like Dio's addition to Black Sabbath. I still acknowledge that he's friggin' metal. Doom? Metal. FUNERAL doom? Metal. Black? Metal. Death? Metal. Prog? Metal. New Wave of British Heavy. Metal. Thrash? Metal.

One thing I am not really capable of doing is deciding if Motorhead is metal or not. I mean, Lemmy is a walking incarnation of metal and helped define so much of the genre, but I still can't shake the nagging feeling that it's really just hard rock.

Nu? No.

Just because you hear a metal pedal does not mean it's metal.

Just because you see the word 'metal' does not mean it's metal.

Just because you'd really like me to be wrong does not mean I am.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-06-19, 08:52 AM
Nameless, stop feeding the troll.

That said, I'm probably going to stop posting in this thread. There are a few people who I like and then there's Decoy Lockbox who I couldn't have a more love/hate thing for, but there's just so many ridiculous opinions.

I think that the Lamb of God thing is what ultimately sets it off as bat**** insane, if there are actually people in here who don't appreciate pure ****ing metal then I'm not going to bother posting. Which is a shame, because I kind of enjoyed this thread. Oh well.

See TSED? You won! Now will you shut up? :smalltongue:

You're actually not bad peoples under it all, just a little misguided.

*Staggers out of thread after stealing all the Ensiferum shirts*

Nameless
2009-06-19, 08:54 AM
Machine Head went and turned themselves into thrash, though.

And Linkin Park? Are you seriously going to go there? Metal is practically defined by its aggression and/or pessimistic world views. Teenaged angst and mass-marketing tactics are so anti-metal it doesn't even clang when you tap it with a spoon.

True, but they were still a Nu Metal Band. (And technically, they're Groove Metal now if you want to be nit picky)

I don't hear that. I hear a removal of melody in exchange for a stronger beat when I listen. I hear the hip / hop / rap sound with added guitars, and adding guitars really doesn't make you metal.

Dude, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uhSSAv3o4M) is metal.

Yep! Subgenres I consider metal actively grew up on metal. They sought to push the genre, etc. etc. The big bands that became today's monoliths of metal became famous by touring with the big bands of yesterday. Let me ask you, what nu-metal band was touring with Iron Maiden? What nu-metal band was touring with Cannibal Corpse or Wintersun or Sonata Artica or whatever huge-name-every-one-has-heard-of-them metal band you want to say?

Nu metal did grow up from metal. a lot metal sub-genre's, or at least most, mix metal with another sound or genre.
Folk metal, melodic metal, symphonic metal, Neo-classical metal, opera metal etc. Nu-Metal has done the exact same thing.
As I've said, I'm not a huge fan of Nu Metal myself, but a lot of nu/rap metal bands (or once nu metal bands) are bigger then CC or Wintersun or Sonata Artica. Those bands aren't even that huge.
And I'm pretty Sure Slipknot went on tear with Metallica, though I would have to check... Or was it Korn... I forget.
Anyway, that's like saying; "what black metal band ever went on tour with Iron Maiden?" or "what folk metal band went on toar with Iron Maiden?"
It has nothing to do with anything.

Not good enough? Fine. The riffs in nu-metal are static and unnervingly boring.

That's just opinion, I don't really like them either.

The sound is not about emotion, but about money. It's so commercialized that any 'message' was sought and destroyed by the fine toothed comb of appealing to a larger market.

No, that's just Limp Bizkit.

Metal is about stepping back and shouting that no, society is not perfect, and we're not going to do something we disagree with.

Nu-metal is either about money or showcasing philosophical inferiority.

Major difference in message.

Metal can be about whatever you damn well want to make it about. There's no rules in Metal.

One thing I am not really capable of doing is deciding if Motorhead is metal or not. I mean, Lemmy is a walking incarnation of metal and helped define so much of the genre, but I still can't shake the nagging feeling that it's really just hard rock.

Dude, Moterhead are metal in-carnet... Actually wait... No that's Saxon...

Anyway, you can "not acknowledging" it as metal, but that's not all of a sudden gonna stop it from being metal.
It just is, end of.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-19, 09:06 AM
TSED, I don't understand...

Are you saying Nu Metal isn't metal...? Because that is flawed.
Are you saying the lyrics of Nu Metal making it not metal? What about Folk Lyrics? What about instrumental? What about screamcore? Because they don't have the "generic metal vocals" you image, does not make them not metal. It makes you ignorant.

And Slipknot was on tour with Metallica in 2004 During the Madly In Anger With The World Tour :smallbiggrin:.

Gourtox
2009-06-19, 09:17 AM
I didn't know this thread exisitef, bt I'm glad I found it. How do you guys feel about Alestorm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoh67mT1K4E)? I find it ok and sometimes funny. Oh and also BATTERY!:smallbiggrin:

Nameless
2009-06-19, 09:24 AM
Turisas > Alestorm
But Alestorm are pretty good.

I'm listening to Chthonic. :smallbiggrin:

Mr. Mud
2009-06-19, 09:30 AM
I didn't know this thread exisitef, bt I'm glad I found it. How do you guys feel about Alestorm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoh67mT1K4E)? I find it ok and sometimes funny. Oh and also BATTERY!:smallbiggrin:

New favorite folk band... :smallbiggrin:.

Epic drumming and I like the first riffs.

Nameless
2009-06-19, 09:31 AM
New favorite folk band... :smallbiggrin:.

Epic drumming and I like the first riffs.

Pirate Folk Metal. :smallbiggrin:

Or, to be nit picky; Scottish Pirate Folk Metal. :smalltongue:

Mr. Mud
2009-06-19, 09:33 AM
Pirate Folk Metal. :smallbiggrin:

Or, to be nit picky; Scottish Pirate Folk Metal. :smalltongue:

Pirate Folk Metal is second only to thrash now. That's how much I like the song.

And you've been using 'nit-picky' a lot Namel :smalltongue:.

Nameless
2009-06-19, 09:38 AM
Yes I have. :smallcool:

Listen to Alestorms "Over the Seas". That's one of my favorite Alestorm songs. :smallsmile:

Gourtox
2009-06-19, 09:38 AM
Pirate Folk Metal is second only to thrash now. That's how much I like the song.

And you've been using 'nit-picky' a lot Namel :smalltongue:.

Yes Pirate metal is awesome. What is thrash? I like metal, but I know nothing about it.

Nameless
2009-06-19, 09:40 AM
Yes Pirate metal is awesome. What is thrash? I like metal, but I know nothing about it.

Ohhh, you have much to learn young one.

Thrash and Groove Metal:
Metallica, Slayer, Megadeath, Testamant, Trivium, Machinehead

Also, what does everyone think of bands such as Deathstars?

Autopsibiofeeder
2009-06-19, 09:42 AM
Am listening to the new Suffocation album, Blood Oath, at the moment. Am a tad disappointed...not because it is bad, I just expected much more.

The album does have a nice sound, though the drums are a bit too much triggery, imo. It therefore lacks punch. The pace is relatively slow as well. Alltogether, it misses that energy, that hyper-feel they pretty much invented.

I'll probably enjoy after a few listen sessions, just hoped that it would have me smiling widely, running to the fridge for a beer after 25 seconds like their albums used to do :) .

Mr. Mud
2009-06-19, 09:48 AM

Try these...

Metallica - Ride the Lightning (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebInqG1pJI)
Exodus - Bonded by Blood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHA0GuvgbEM)
Megadeth - Rust in Peace... Polaris (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-2acj6fWA8)

First rule of thrash: All thrash, is old school thrash :smallcool:.

toasty
2009-06-19, 10:00 AM
Those bands aren't even that huge.

Huge in what sense? Just because a band has sold a lot of albums doesn't mean a lot. Remember that much of metal remains underground and only known about my metal heads. Only a few older metal bands like Iron maiden or Metallica are well known amongst non-metal fans.

Personally, I have to say that while most nu-metal is not that great and it was probably an attempt by studios to sell "metal" to the mainstream markets I'd probably still call it metal. I'm not really the best person to talk here since I'm still very new to metal and I listen to, primarily, Hard Rock and Metalcore, though that is changing as I begin to buy more albums.

However, I will say one good thing about nu-metal: it got me into "true" metal so to speak. Or at least it allowed me to begin on a journey towards metal. I learned that metal wasn't idiots screaming anger into mics to the background of all sorts of noise. (Well... at least not ALL metal is that. :smallbiggrin:). I'm not sure that would have happened if it wasn't for those first few Linkin Park albums I got from a friend...

Still, if people don't think Nu-metal is metal I won't fight them. I agree that nu-metal is mostly a pretty lame genre and its one that basically needed to die (if it isn't already dead then it should hurry up!) I probably wouldn't go so far as say it isn't "metal" but I won't stop someone else from saying that.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-06-19, 01:38 PM
That said, I'm probably going to stop posting in this thread. There are a few people who I like and then there's Decoy Lockbox who I couldn't have a more love/hate thing for, but there's just so many ridiculous opinions.

Yeah who would have thought there would be some discussion on a forum MIRITE?

Though this current dispute does seem to be two sides simply arguing about something with no true answer.

And Nameless, please never say "tr00" again. God.

Autopsibiofeeder
2009-06-19, 01:42 PM
TSED, you said this about Vader:

Actually, this band is entirely unfamiliar to me. I know the name, do not know the music.

Seeing how you are a metal god, that's surprising :). I guess you are from the North American part of this world then?

Not that Vader is a particularly good band, I think there is no metal act that performs as much as they do. They tour vehemently and the 15-odd times I have seen them, they have always put up a very intense, enjoyable show.

Their (now deceased) drummer used to be legendary for his speed in his days. The music is simple, fast, melodic (in a simple riff-ey way) and pretty brutal. I'll try to find something on the web that's representative and edit this post.

[EDIT]:
There we go

Wings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcFXeTfWnUk) is from the Litany album (2000). A tad over-produced, but at least the youtube quality is okay.

Carnal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIheYKyoCPI&feature=fvw) is somewhat of a signature song, not because it is good, but because it is fast. A lot of bands, Vital Remains for example, covered it live in memory of Doctor, the Vader drummer that died. The original is from 1997, Black to the Blind album.

DeathKnight
2009-06-19, 02:24 PM
Wow, I go to school for a day and I come back to a page and a half of discussion on a topic that I feel responsible for.

No matter what was said, I still consider them a Metal genre. I just wanted to see what other people's opinions are.

Although I must say this before I let this conversation die. The song by Anata that was posted had no Pig Squealing in it at all. Therefore any argument that followed, in my mind, was rather invalid.

Still, "I may disagree with your opinion but I will fight to the death your right to it." ~Voltaire.

Gotta give respect to the philosophers after all.

Zocelot
2009-06-19, 07:15 PM
Also, what does everyone think of bands such as Deathstars?

This question made up for the last two pages of Youtube level comments. In my opinion, Deathstars are one of the greatest bands of any genre. The first time I heard them (Death Dies Hard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWUmw2ITaFA)), my jaw literally dropped. Right now, my favorite song is New Dead Nation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ4uT0Xsetg).I've tried showing their music to my friends, but I am disappointed with the internet for not having heard of them.

On an unrelated note, shut up about which bands are metal. It makes you all sound like 6 year olds fighting over who who gets to be the red power ranger. In the end, it doesn't mean anything, and it is completely not worth the strife it causes.

Nameless
2009-06-19, 07:25 PM
This question made up for the last two pages of Youtube level comments. In my opinion, Deathstars are one of the greatest bands of any genre. The first time I heard them (Death Dies Hard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWUmw2ITaFA)), my jaw literally dropped. Right now, my favorite song is New Dead Nation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ4uT0Xsetg).I've tried showing their music to my friends, but I am disappointed with the internet for not having heard of them.

The first time I heard of them was back when Scuzz was still a good music channle. They played Cyanide. It was AWESOME. My mum came and said "What a bunch on Nazi's", but seriously I loved it.
Cyanide, Death Dies Hard and Blitzkrieg are my current favorite three songs of there's.

DeathKnight
2009-06-19, 10:00 PM
It's amazing how horrible my memory is. I've seen that video (Death Dies Hard) maybe five times now. And yet I can NEVER remember its name or the band who did it.

Regardless, I am of the opinion that Deathstars are good to listen to on occasion. But not something I plan making a habit of.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-19, 11:38 PM

Yeah, Turisas > Alestorm anyday. Alestorm are pretty cool, but I prefer Running Wild for all my pirate-related metal needs.

I don't want to toot my own horn, but I have a cursory "guide to metal" in my sig that you could check out. Its a broad overview of what I feel are the primary types of metal. The thrash section is fairly sizable, because its my favorite type. If you want to learn more, consult your local library, or send me a PM.

However, I will say one good thing about nu-metal: it got me into "true" metal so to speak. Or at least it allowed me to begin on a journey towards metal. I learned that metal wasn't idiots screaming anger into mics to the background of all sorts of noise. (Well... at least not ALL metal is that. :smallbiggrin:). I'm not sure that would have happened if it wasn't for those first few Linkin Park albums I got from a friend...

Yeah, this is a pretty common thing I've heard. I have a buddy who got into metal by way of SoaD. So I suppose "nu metal" is the "gateway drug" of metal? :smallbiggrin:

You know, Metal threads are a lot like trees -- you can trace their age by cutting them open and counting the number of "nu-metal" related arguments.

I think enough has been said about the topic, but lets let the music speak for itself:

Deceiver (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krXlh21dPt8) ,by StormWarrior

A masquerade, hiding the truthe
The weapons of glory, preparing to shoot
Wearing steele withe a false beliefe
Supporting the wronge, no hearte for the scene
Push for the golde, payment's the lawe
Sold the soule to the commercial war
Creating newe heroes, buying their fame
Deceiving the paste, the faithe will be slayed

They are riding withe the winde of the false ones
They are fighting the proude and the brave

Deceiver
Die by the fire
Deceiver
Burne at the stake
Deceiver
Fearing the true

Wielding the sworde forged in the paste
They're unable to fighte, unworthy to laste
Values are loste, no bloode formed of steele
A lifetime to falter, a lifetime to kneele
They followe corruption, they followe their lies
Deceit and betrayal, their unholy life
The oathe of allegiance they never have sworn
Their falsified heartes ruled by evil force

They are lying withe the face of the false ones
Fallen warriors are crying in their graves

[chorus]

DraPrime
2009-06-20, 07:25 AM
Ladies, some details (http://metalstorm.ee/events/news_comments.php?news_id=8940) about the upcoming Megadeth album have been released. Apparently it will come out in September. And I'm pretty sure Mustaine is making a huge mistake comparing this new album (called Endgame) to Rust in Peace. If it isn't anywhere near as good (highly probable) then a lot of people will get pissed. Although I'll just be satisfied if he gets rid of those stupid talking sections like what was on Amerikhastan.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-20, 11:40 AM
Ladies, some details (http://metalstorm.ee/events/news_comments.php?news_id=8940) about the upcoming Megadeth album have been released. Apparently it will come out in September. And I'm pretty sure Mustaine is making a huge mistake comparing this new album (called Endgame) to Rust in Peace. If it isn't anywhere near as good (highly probable) then a lot of people will get pissed. Although I'll just be satisfied if he gets rid of those stupid talking sections like what was on Amerikhastan.

I don't think anyone these days should be comparing their output to Rust in Peace.

Maybye he should have just said "its going to be better than united abominations" and called it a day.

DraPrime
2009-06-20, 06:02 PM
I don't think anyone these days should be comparing their output to Rust in Peace.

Maybe he should have just said "its going to be better than united abominations" and called it a day.

Yes, that would have been good. I was finally beginning to take Dave Mustaine seriously, and now this comes along. Shame.

derfos
2009-06-21, 01:04 PM
What happened? I don't look at this thread for a couple of days and when I try to catch up I read this:

Someone thinks Lamb of God is Death Metal.
Disturbed/Linking Park/System of a Down have been mentioned in the METAL Thread.
There is an argument about how heavy Slipknot is (I can't bring myself to leave their name out in the open).

Let's just think about this for a moment. Just because something has a metal influence does not make it metal - the foo fighters have some hints of metal as well and I dare anyone to convince me that they are a metal band.

If you want to get really picky, you could make an argument that Disturbed, Linkin Park, SOAD, Slipknot, Bullet for My Valentine or even 90s Metallica are metal. Why, because they are bands that straddle the line. Genres like metal-core (and the other -cores), nu-metal or prog-rock can sometimes sound like metal and sometimes sound like their other half. For example, Lamb of God is clearly metal (even if just hearing their name makes me want to puke, they're metal); The Devil Wears Prada... not so much (more core than metal).

The problem with system of a down, slipknot and linkin park is that they SOMETIMES sound like they could be metal, but it's more of an exception rather than the rule.

The way I see it for fusion genres is look at the two halves. More metalcore, look at metal and then look at hardcore punk. Then ask yourself, which one is Killswitch Engage more like, metal or hardcore (I personally think metal wins by an inch on this one).

For nu-metal, you'll find that most bands resemble rap more than they do metal, and there's several bands which call themselves nu-metal but are just rapcore (which has nothing to do with metal wherever you look at it from).

Metal Archives (which I believe has been mentioned before), is a pretty good authority on what is metal enough to be classified as metal, and I've never had a disagreement with the site.

Personally, I think TSED and Decoy Lockbox are pretty good authorities on metal when it comes to this thread. They have their act together and they know what they are talking about. While healthy discussion with them and others is encouraged, I don't think the creator of the metal thread intended this thread to be about nu-metal, metal-core and other "Light" Metal genres. If you disagree with this, you are welcome to start your own "Nu-Metal Thread".

---

Back to the music: I have been trying to get into Thrash for a long time but I can't seem to do it. Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer all have the same problem for me - they're not fast or aggressive enough. Overkill is bearable to me because I really like the vocals and same goes for Warbringer (which for me is more of a live band than everything since they come to my city every like 3 months). Does anyone have any ideas for some good fast thrash with heavy riffs and good vocals?

Faulty
2009-06-21, 01:26 PM
The way you're handling yourself in here, it's tempting. Wanna grow a vagina?

I'm sure we could find a strap-on.

The way I see it for fusion genres is look at the two halves. More metalcore, look at metal and then look at hardcore punk. Then ask yourself, which one is Killswitch Engage more like, metal or hardcore (I personally think metal wins by an inch on this one).

Maybe this is just me, but a lot of bad Metalcore doesn't really make me think of Metal or Hardcore at all, or maybe just bad Metal and Hardcore. It sounds more along the lines of Popish Punk mixed with cliché Rock influenced Death or Thrash. It kind of makes me cringe to have it associated with either genre, but I guess have genre has its ups and downs.

Back to the music: I have been trying to get into Thrash for a long time but I can't seem to do it. Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer all have the same problem for me - they're not fast or aggressive enough. Overkill is bearable to me because I really like the vocals and same goes for Warbringer (which for me is more of a live band than everything since they come to my city every like 3 months). Does anyone have any ideas for some good fast thrash with heavy riffs and good vocals?

What kinda vocals are you interested in?

You might be interested in Ringworm. They're a mix of Thrash and Hardcore, not sure if that fits the bill, but they're one of the angriest bands I've ever heard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCLq87nAcDY). You can hear the riffs better on the album version, they're pretty sick.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-21, 02:51 PM
What happened? I don't look at this thread for a couple of days and when I try to catch up I read this:

Someone thinks Lamb of God is Death Metal.
Disturbed/Linking Park/System of a Down have been mentioned in the METAL Thread.
There is an argument about how heavy Slipknot is (I can't bring myself to leave their name out in the open).

What happened? A bunch of people decided to bring up that old chestnut "hey guys, what is/isn't metal?", got bored of talking at each other, and then wisely decided to go back to business as usual.

When I first got into metal, I got my schoolin' in an extremely acerbic metal group on facebook. In that group, if you openly declared that you liked Pantera (let alone slipknot, disturbed, etc) you got booted from the group. So to some extent, the fact that this group actually allows discussion on the matter is somewhat refreshing. Doesn't make it any more right though.

Maybye I can give you a hand here. A lot of people say that Dark Angel's 1986 release "Darkness Descends" is both faster and more aggressive than Slayer's fastest/aggressive-est "Reign in Blood". Give 'em a listen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtRDX9gBeRc) and decide for yourself. Early Sepultura (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJJ9zYAKoZk) might also be up your alley.

Before I recommend any more, I need to know how deep into the subgenre you are. For example, have you listened to most of the major American thrash bands, and the German big three (Sodom, Kreator, Destruction)?

derfos
2009-06-21, 08:28 PM
Maybye I can give you a hand here. A lot of people say that Dark Angel's 1986 release "Darkness Descends" is both faster and more aggressive than Slayer's fastest/aggressive-est "Reign in Blood". Give 'em a listen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtRDX9gBeRc) and decide for yourself. Early Sepultura (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJJ9zYAKoZk) might also be up your alley.

Before I recommend any more, I need to know how deep into the subgenre you are. For example, have you listened to most of the major American thrash bands, and the German big three (Sodom, Kreator, Destruction)?

Not a big fan of Sepultura. I've listened to Sodom/Kreator/Destruction and Kreator is the one that fits me best. I got into metal through power metal and then jumped straight into death and black (and their subgenres). I never listened to that much thrash but I thought I might be able to get into it if the vocals are right.

Lord of the Helms
2009-06-22, 12:42 AM
Not a big fan of Sepultura. I've listened to Sodom/Kreator/Destruction and Kreator is the one that fits me best. I got into metal through power metal and then jumped straight into death and black (and their subgenres). I never listened to that much thrash but I thought I might be able to get into it if the vocals are right.

How much are you into the stuff that straddles the line between thrash and death metal? You know, Possessed, Atheist, Coroner, Pestilence, that kind of thing? Also, I feel that a lot of the more technical and proggy thrashers get the whole aggression thing very well. Mekong Delta is my favorite (and they've brought out one of the better recent thrash albums), Watchtower is really good at it, and Realm really gets the fist-pumping energy and aggression part. You might try Heathen as well, although their vocals are fairly soft as stuff goes; in terms of aggression, they're about slightly above Megadeth. Interestingly, since they're apparently shameless Commies, they actually offer their albums for free download on their own website.

Also, have you tried some Exodus and Nuclear Assault? As thrash goes, they're more down the Overkill road.

For the whole "Nu-Metal and Metalcore" thing: Eh. I got into metal via the truer end of the power and traditional metal scene. It was never really a point for discussion as such. I don't really find it worth discussing beyond the point where it just doesn't sound like metal to me in terms of either rhythm (both drumming and rhythm guitars) or, more importantly, leads. But really, the arguments just tend to not go anywhere; if you want to lump them into your metal folder, go ahead. I'll stick to talking about the stuff I enjoy :smallsmile:

Back to which: I got to see the Scorpions on Thursday. Gotta say, great live band; these old fellas still got it, and are still enjoying themselves immensely live. Setlist was more or less what I expected, a good mix of their rockier stuff and some of the more blazing metal. Highlight was them opening with "Coming Home", and "Blackout" was of course fantastic, as was "Coast to Coast" (triple-guitar instrumental for the win!). I did miss He's a Woman, She's a Man and Dynamite, but wasn't really counting on it; it's just gonna be something to look forward to for the next gig. :smallcool:

(By the way, preiphally related, they were supported by Alice Cooper, who while old, horribly out of shape and less than stellar vocally, still puts on one hell of an over-the-top theatrical show, and has a very good band around him - fantastic solos, if not as godly as the Scorpions).

Also: Countdown to Wacken, less than six weeks now. Wee!

Also also: I'm pretty stuck on Volbeat these days. I seem to have developed a soft spot for rockier metal, and I really like their sound that is somehow retro and modern at the same time.

Edit also also also: For Megadeth, I wasn't paying too much attention - then I remembered they now have Chris Broderick on lead guitar, which is admittedly very awesome what with me being a big Jag Panzer fan. So I am kinda interested now in what they'll put out. Didn't think their last two albums were too shabby. Nothing mind-blowing, but still, they seem to have taken the right turn lately after a long time of suck and meh.

Also, Virgin Steele (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar8zBkwwYbk), because I recommend them to everyone.

Good man. :smallsmile:

Also: The only thing about Cannibal Corpse that I find awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=DE&hl=de&v=fc-V3NYckOI) :smallbiggrin:

Leon
2009-06-23, 02:00 AM
I recently came across Alestorm and quite like it, its not shot to the top of my fav's like Sabaton did but its quite good.

Over the Sea's and Captain Morgans revenge are my current picks of them

Nameless
2009-06-23, 07:25 AM
I recently came across Alestorm and quite like it, its not shot to the top of my fav's like Sabaton did but its quite good.

Over the Sea's and Captain Morgans revenge are my current picks of them

I shall quote myself.

Turisas > Alestorm, though Alestorm are great. :smalltongue:

Also, Finntroll, Ensiferum and of course, Eluveitie are all great.

TSED
2009-06-23, 08:41 AM
So, uh, I could come in and defend myself but that'd bring up that subject again so...

Anata's 'pig squealing' is layered. It's... ok it's not REALLY pig squealing but it's very very close to it. It's easier to hit that pitch with pig squealing by far vs standard growling (although I can do it, it's only because I tried hard to match Anata).

On Vader: yeah, I live in a small city in the middle of central Alberta. Cool bands come by here every now and then, but it's bloody rare (and a few hours away, which doesn't always work with school / work / life in general). I'm going to have to move if I want to see over half of the bands I want to in my life.

Although my first show ever had my favourite band as the headliner. That was good times. I learned two important lessons that day:
1) When getting a CD booklet signed, don't bring it in the original case and into the mosh pit,
and
2) Buy shirts near the end of the show if by yourself. [Unless they're going to run out, but whatever, that doesn't happen in smaller gigs.]

IN OTHER NEWS:
I totally need a new band to get into. Something that sounds like a cross between this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rSUj6tgHjc) and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVF0GZg7wYQ&feature=fvst) 90% of the time or more.

Any suggestions? I am very picky about death vocals (if they are not excellent I CANNOT stand them), somewhat picky about guitar and bass (as long as the riffs don't get boring and change up, also the riffs are good), and the drums aren't blast beats the whole way through... Yeah.

Some other death vocals I think are great, for your ease of use:
Arch Enemy (both, though I prefer Angela's. Also I don't know many metalheads as elitist as I who like her voice, go figure.)
Agalloch
Lux Occulta
Dark Tranquillity
Enslaved (at least on Isa, I keep meaning to check their other albums out and keep not. Actually, that exercise should hold me over until I find the next dream-band...)
Hanging Garden
Insomnium's are good but not great; they're a little sloppy but I still like them.
Swallow the Sun
Therion's are alright when they actually do them, a little too mic-distorty to be mainstage vocals though.
(And of course aforementioned Anata / The Absence, and Death but Chuck's vocals style isn't what I'm looking for.)

Yeah. It's hard for a metal god to find new bands. :(

Faulty
2009-06-23, 10:44 AM
Arch Enemy (both, though I prefer Angela's. Also I don't know many metalheads as elitist as I who like her voice, go figure.)

Yeah, I think she should throw in the towel...

So, do I gather that you're looking for some what chaotic, thrashy Death Metal with good vocals? Maybe Yyrkoon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwJ8LjJt9yQ)or Blood Red Throne (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjb3JjlzU78)? But they're not particularly obscure.

Ceska
2009-06-23, 02:21 PM
Enslaved (at least on Isa, I keep meaning to check their other albums out and keep not. Actually, that exercise should hold me over until I find the next dream-band...
It's always hard to check out the rest of the albums when you got the best, but please do. Their songs are great, so are the vocals. I really like the deathy vocals on the cover of Retribution for the Dead as well. One of my favourite metal bands right now.

Autopsibiofeeder
2009-06-23, 04:51 PM
IN OTHER NEWS:
I totally need a new band to get into. Something that sounds like a cross between this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rSUj6tgHjc) and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVF0GZg7wYQ&feature=fvst) 90% of the time or more.

Any suggestions? I am very picky about death vocals (if they are not excellent I CANNOT stand them), somewhat picky about guitar and bass (as long as the riffs don't get boring and change up, also the riffs are good), and the drums aren't blast beats the whole way through... Yeah.

Gee, well, your demands are steep ;) . I do not want to be the judge of what vocals / music you would like or not, my interpretation of your wishes would perhaps have me exclude bands you may even enjoy. In the end it is a matter of taste, rather subjective. De gustibum non est disputandum, eh? :)

Instead I'll throw you a few European bones. Some you may know already, I am quite sure you do. I searched for the names on this forum and nothing came up, the closest I can get. These are bands that have had me stuck to the stereo for hours and hours:

First of all, when you mention great vocals, I think Åkerfeldt. I do not doubt you know his work, be it Opeth or Bloodbath (who have developed amazingly, in my opinion, towards their latest masterpiece The Fathomless Mastery (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpt6OLx3Tvg&feature=PlayList&p=63FF4F0FBE372772&index=0)).

Second band be Aeon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te42rxN2dfU&feature=related), from Sweden. This is the opening track of their Rise to Dominate album. The vocals are not the best (tho none too shabby) and the music has quite the amount of blastbeats, but they are just too good, in my opinion, to not mention.

An other band, which to my surprise does not show up in the search, is Englands Akercocke. Axiom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzdFTth68pM&feature=related) is from their latest album. That one, and Words that Go Unspoken, Deeds that Go Undone are two albums really worth checking out, in my opinion.
A disclaimer, though, this band is quite weird. You either hate it, or love it. They mix brutal death with vague-ish black and poppy bits. I personally love the vocals, especially because he masters his voice: good clean vocals and filthy growls. The best part about his grunts is that they ooze emotions and feelings more than words, something that fits grunting and especially Akercocke's music very well.
Long story short: this band deserves a good listen or two. It took me a few rounds, but am sold ever since.

To wrap it up a little big Dutch band, that no longer exists unfortunately. They rose to fame in the mid nineties. Altar - The Unbeliever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ7BKuaxpcI&feature=related) (sound is a bit crappy), from their last album Red Harvest. At this point in their career they merged some bluesy - rocky sound in their music, which I personally enjoy: their older stuff (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MClR6eoCHlA&NR=1) is more straight-forward old school death metal. I find this album a refreshing change of pace.

There's my European bones. They are pretty well known (over here) but given the Vader thingy, I figured to post 'em. Just to be sure. I hope at least one or two are not or hardly familiar to you and of course, enjoy!

And yes, none of them sound like the bands you indicated ;).

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-23, 07:55 PM
Therion's are alright when they actually do them, a little too mic-distorty to be mainstage vocals though.

As much as I love Therion, I think their early-period growly vocals sounded like a very special guy just kinda yelling. And by "special" I mean "probably requires a helmet".

So I had a metal miracle today. I was listening to Darkthrone's "Under a Funeral Moon", and I actually heard the bass! It was amazing.

Faulty
2009-06-23, 08:16 PM
Darkthrone has a bass player? :smalleek:

Killer Angel
2009-06-24, 01:48 AM
Maybye I can give you a hand here. A lot of people say that Dark Angel's 1986 release "Darkness Descends" is both faster and more aggressive than Slayer's fastest/aggressive-est "Reign in Blood".

I recommend also "Time does not heal" (1991); here's the title track (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYBbY7pSH-M).
Great album, it deserved more success.
The intro has an heavy influence of Death, imo (not that it's a bad thing... :smallwink:).

Leon
2009-06-24, 05:23 AM
I shall quote myself.

Turisas > Alestorm

And?
I was commenting that i had found them care of this thread and they were ok, Turisas i tried as well now and they don't do much for me at all.

Ceska
2009-06-24, 08:46 AM
Darkthrone has a bass player? :smalleek:
I'm pretty sure that's a downtuned five stringed guitar. With gain maxed out and volume turned to 1.

Actually, trying to hear the bassline of black metal can be quite enjoyable after a few beers. It's like a musical version of 'where's waldo'.

Nameless
2009-06-24, 09:58 AM
And?
I was commenting that i had found them care of this thread and they were ok, Turisas i tried as well now and they don't do much for me at all.

Relax Leon, I say it to everyone who mentions Alestorm. It's a little running gag of mine. :smalltongue:

Faulty
2009-06-24, 09:58 AM
Actually, trying to hear the bassline of black metal can be quite enjoyable with a few beers. It's like a musical version of 'where's waldo'.

That is fantastic. You can hear Amesoeurs' bass, but I'm not sure that counts.

derfos
2009-06-24, 12:14 PM
Just came across a couple of cool german bands (and germany is only second to Finland in my 'who has the greatest metal bands' list):

Solar Fragment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5kSOuLocMk) - pretty cool power metal that works a lot with changing speed throughout songs.

Equilibrium (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yom8nNqmxvQ) - people probably know this band, but I thought I'd mention it anyway because it's new to me. This guys do the viking/black metal thing as well as the Swedish/Finnish bands, and better than some.

That reminds me of a band I promised myself I would recommend to everyone:
Diadem (http://www.diademonline.com/media.htm) - a one man American band that plays pretty good folk/death metal. Plus, I know the guy and he's a really cool dude. The link is to the band's website, where you can download some sample songs.

(TSED, you should be happy you're in Alberta. You only need to drive a few hours this summer to see Summer Slaughter. I would have to drive from Winnipeg to either Minneapolis or Calgary and sadly, I don't have a car).

Zocelot
2009-06-24, 12:23 PM
(TSED, you should be happy you're in Alberta. You only need to drive a few hours this summer to see Summer Slaughter. I would have to drive from Winnipeg to either Minneapolis or Calgary and sadly, I don't have a car).

Well then, you'd better start walking. Summer Slaughter is going to be an amazing show. I know a lot of people are excited about seeing Ensiferum and Necrophagist at the same show (and I am too, especially Ensiferum), but my favorite band at the show is Blackguard.

TSED
2009-06-25, 02:02 AM
I'm actually not going to Summer Slaughter, shame of shames.

I have reasons, but they're kind of personal. If you have to have SOMETHING to go on, take the auxiliary "word got out to the scenester scene and it'll be flooded with people you do NOT want to mosh with, be around, or spend any amount of time with."

I might go if some other things change but for now it's out of my field of vision.

NOW:

Gee, well, your demands are steep ;) . I do not want to be the judge of what vocals / music you would like or not, my interpretation of your wishes would perhaps have me exclude bands you may even enjoy. In the end it is a matter of taste, rather subjective. De gustibum non est disputandum, eh? :)

I'm not looking for bands I enjoy (that's actually a pretty easy task), I'm looking for something in THIS niche. It is a very, very hard spot to reach, it seems.

BANDS THAT WERE SUGGESTED:

Yyrkoon: Nope. Guy's growling sounds off to me. Not a fan, but they're not bad.
Blood Red Throne: Nope. I don't like that style of death vocals. It's the reason I don't like Gorod, etc.
Opeth: Bores me, haven't really looked at Bloodbath but I wasn't enthralled with Opeth's vocals so I doubt it'll be Love At First Makeover.
Aeon: Nope. Not... rumbley, is a good word to describe it, I think.
Akercocke: Not bad, but not at all what I am searching for. It's in a different heading of "look it up when you're in a mood." Not really a fan of their death vocals though. See above "Gorod" opinion.
Altar: REALLY close. Far too much tremelo picking (I guess I should have specified that but it didn't even occur to me), but it's the closest I've heard to what I'm craving.

(Overuse of tremelo is an adversary I cannot defeat in this campaign setting.)

Thanks for trying though, guys.

bloodlover
2009-06-25, 05:47 AM
Can someone please explain what's up with the latest Manowar album ? Is it the same song in many languages ... or that's something else?