Enochi
2009-05-20, 08:36 PM
Hit die D10
BAB: Fighter
Good saves: Reflex
Armor: None
Weapon: Simple, Martial, and Exotic Weapon: Katana

Skills: 4+Int
Balance, Concentration, Craft, Hide, Iaijustu, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Local), Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Nobility), Martial Lore, Move Silently, Spot, Swim, Tumble.

Maneuver's gained warblade and Recovered as warblade

Alignment: Any non-chaotic

Diamond Mind
Tiger Claw
Desert Wind
Iron Heat
Shadow Hand? Is this too much? Does it fit?

1:
One Cut: Homebrew may only make a single attack no matter how high his BAB is. If homebrew attacks with 2 weapons he takes a -10 on both attacks. Maneveurs and Feats can grant more attacks.

Home brew may draw and sheath his weapon as a free action but only if the weapon is 1 handed and if the 2nd hand is free.

2: Singular Duelist Against a single opponent declared at the end of your turn you may replace your AC with an Iaijustu check. If unable to move this may no be activated.

3: Fast Movement +10

4: Lightning draw: Whenever homebrew draws his weapon and attacks He may attempt an Iaijutsu check against his oppenent's AC if he beats his opponent's AC that opponent is considered flat footed for that attack.

Sudden Strike +1d6

5: Master of the Draw +1: Homebrew gets +1 to his Iaijustu checks

8: Sudden Strike +2d6

9: Fast Movement +20

10: Savage Draw: When hombrew draws his weapons and attacks he may choose to deal his precision damage as untyped for 1/2 damage

Master of the Draw +2: Homebrew gets +2 to his Iaijustu checks

12: Sudden Strike +3d6

14: Blade of Magic's Bane: As an Immediate action a homebrew may expend a readied Maneuver to counter a Spell cast of the same level. (This applies to the base level of the spell not after feats and class abilites.)

15: Master of the Draw +3: Homebrew gets +3 to his Iaijustu checks

Fast Movement +30

16: Sudden Strike +4d6

20: Master of the Draw +4: Homebrew gets +4 to his Iaijustu checks

Sudden Strike +5d6

Can cut even the air: When homebrew drawis a one handed weapon attacks he make treat the weapon as projectile weapon with a range of 5ft (Meaning he can strike at 10ft at -2 15 -4 up to 50ft at -20) This does not threaten additional squares

what do you think too powerful? too weak? Please give me opinions and suggestions. Also need help with a name.

Shalizar
2009-05-21, 08:39 PM
Alright, time to roll up the sleeves and start to fix this class.

Hit die D10

Balance, Concentration, Craft, Hide, Iaijustu, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Local), Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Nobility), Martial Lore, Move Silently, Spot, Swim, Tumble.

Alright, at this point, it is obvious you are trying to mix a class from the Book of Nine Swords with the Samurai. So you can drop Iaijustu from the skills because it is not required, and is pointless, just throw in the Counter Attack feat from the PHB 2, it is the same thing. Remember that a Katana is the same as a Bastard Sword 1d10 one handed weapons trained.

Diamond Mind
Tiger Claw
Desert Wind
Iron Heat

Ok, at this point the difference between Warblade and this is that Warblade has a good save progression of Fortitude instead of Reflex, and the Warblade has better hit die. So far there are no reasons for whether or not these schools fit for the class, you don't have any RP stuff added in. Why should they fit, why should a non-chaotic person be hiding in the shadows and almost going into a frenzy (Shadow Hand and Tiger Claw maneuvers and stances). Also it shows you are still trying to keep the Samurai feel to it. Remember Diamond Mind is associated with the Bastard Sword.

1:
One Cut: Homebrew may only make a single attack no matter how high his BAB is. If homebrew attacks with 2 weapons he takes a -10 on both attacks. Maneveurs and Feats can grant more attacks.

Home brew may draw and sheath his weapon as a free action but only if the weapon is 1 handed and if the 2nd hand is free.

Alright, right now it is just too obvious you are going for a Kenshin Himura build, which I bet there are plenty of, but this is just a new for you.
A- Learn to use the table for this stuff, it is easier to read for people.
B- One Cut, makes no sense, are you saying that if a person has a +20 B.A.B. and they attack with a two handed weapon, if the first attack hit, they all do, verdict Over Powered, also the two handed weapon disadvantage is pointless, and thus shouldn't be given at this level or any until we get into divine work. This is also equal to a fighter level 16 feat, at level one.
C- You just give them quick draw as a free feat instead of all this stuff, and look into Complete Warrior and the Samurai first.

2: Singular Duelist Against a single opponent declared at the end of your turn you may replace your AC with an Iaijustu check. If unable to move this may no be activated.

It just gives the person a random AC at this point and you just have to hope your luck is good with the dice.

4: Lightning draw: Whenever homebrew draws his weapon and attacks He may attempt an Iaijutsu check against his oppenent's AC if he beats his opponent's AC that opponent is considered flat footed for that attack.

Sudden Strike +1d6

This is basicly giving them a free +3 to B.A.B., if the character doesn't have a 16 strength, and causes the opponent to lost Dex to AC, also deals extra damage. It seems over powered, and if anything you should change it to dealing an extra 1d6 if they are already flat footed.

Pointless and trivial. Again, you are just trying to make a Kenshin class for D&D.

8: Sudden Strike +2d6

Too many empty levels for the character to get nothing at.

10: Savage Draw: When hombrew draws his weapons and attacks he may choose to deal his precision damage as untyped for 1/2 damage

This has not point to it, and is just there to try and further along over powering the character.

14: Blade of Magic's Bane: As an Immediate action a homebrew may expend a readied Maneuver to counter a Spell cast of the same level. (This applies to the base level of the spell not after feats and class abilites.)

This does not work at all. Have you even used the Book of Nine Swords in a game? In so many ways this is Broken because casters metamagic their spells, and you are saying that an empowered Maximized Fire Ball can be stopped with a third level maneuver just because it was originally a third level spell that was boosted to a 8th, that is over powered and not even needed in the game, think of something else.

20: Can cut even the air: When homebrew drawis a one handed weapon attacks he make treat the weapon as projectile weapon with a range of 5ft (Meaning he can strike at 10ft at -2 15 -4 up to 50ft at -20) This does not threaten additional squares

Alright, you have a lot of empty levels between 16 and 20, which is bad, but this entire class is quite bad. This last attack seems like you are just trying to give them a range attack with a melee weapon. At this level, you will not have to worry too much about range weapons to need an attack like this, let alone one with such a weak usage.

Alright, I think it somewhat obvious you havn't been playing long and you are trying to make a "cool" character by taking an anime character and making a D&D class out of it, but you have failed miserably. Try and Google D&D stats for things, and look over things. I don't believe you have a full grasp of the game just yet and you just want to impress people with a cool character.

Juggernaut1981
2009-05-21, 09:13 PM
[/flaming and ouching]

But yeah, I can't say I disagree. Anime + D&D = baaaad.

Xallace
2009-05-21, 09:48 PM
Okie-dokie, lets take a look.

Hmm. Alright, first off let's teach you how to use a table so that this is all nicer and easy to read. Quote my post and take a look at how this is set up:

{table=head]Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fortitude Save
1 | +1 | +0
2 | +2 | +0
3 | +3 | +1[/table]

See that? That'll make your class a little easier to read, and more "professional" looking.

Hit die D10
Alright, so... we're clearly going to be using a lot of weapon attacks, and we're a front-liner, from the high BAB and HD. OK, cool. The good Reflex and lack of armor (!!) indicates the we're supposed to be very speedy. Now, I hope you have some ability to make up for that lack of armor!

Nextly, while you may find it flavorful to call it a Katana, it is a bastard sword. So I would suggest changing that, and then maybe putting (Katana) in parenthesis like they do with the Diamond Mind Description.

Iaijutsu Focus I see. Hmm. Alright, so it looks like we're supposed to be fast, acrobatic, and also some kind of knight. So what it looks like is that we're going for one of them "My-armor-is-my-sword" fantasy samurai types. OK, I can dig it. I suggest adding Sense Motive and Diplomacy to the skill list, though, since you appear to be noble-esque. Also, Handle Animal and Ride could do to be on this list.

Diamond Mind
Tiger Claw
Desert Wind
Iron Heat

I... huh. OK, So you're a warblade, sorta. OK, well this is very obviously a samurai, so the non-chaotic is OK, though I wouldn't deem it necessary. Ronins would fit this class as well as Samurai, so far.

Now, as for the Disciplines: I would remove Desert Wind, Shadow Hand, and Tiger Claw. They are not very "Samurai-esque." Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, and White Raven seem the most suitable disciplines, maybe even Stone Dragon. I'd go with those four, at most.

1:

OK, so free Quick Draw with 1-handed weapons in exchange for no iterative attacks. No, no I can't say that's a good trade, even though I am not the biggest fan of iterative attacks. Replace this ability for sure. How about Quick Draw for free, and a bonus on initiative checks? I say +1 at 1st, 5th level, and every 5 thereafter (10th, 15th, 20th).

Ooh, and add the same bonus as a bonus to attack rolls in your first round. Combined with Iaijutsu focus, that'll follow your "End the Fight in One Strike" philosophy.

....Huh. OK, I can see where this ability is coming from. But I think we could probably lose it in favor of something a little more multi-purpose. I mean, as it is you're a sitting duck unless you're fighting a single opponent (which the class feature name seems to indicate, but still, that's a problem).

In place of this, why not just say that we can add our Base Attack Bonus as a bonus to our Armor Class, but only as long as we have a weapon in hand? Say, Competence bonus, and it doesn't stack with armor or shield bonuses. In addition, your weapon's enhancement bonus to your AC as an enhancement bonus, but multiple weapons' bonuses don't stack (you use the highest).

3: Fast Movement +10

Mm, that's just kinda boring. I mean, a speed boost is certainly viable, but I think something a little more fun and flavorful could be in its place. I'm picturing some kinda boost for your first round of combat. Hmm... I'll get back to this.

...which of course will be nearly every time because of Quick Draw! I think we oughta nix this ability, it's like free Sneak Attack if you focus on iaijutsu- which you will, because that's what this class is focused on.

Sudden Strike +1d6

Iaijutsu focus is essentially sudden strike. How about we just say that you deal an additional d6 of damage when Iaijutsu striking?

Also, I'm just going to skip the rest of the Sudden Strike mentions.

Hmm, I see why this is here, and that it grows over time. I would actually remove this ability. A boost to a specific skill seems more Prestige Class-y, and I think you want a little more room for customization with a base class.

So you cut your Iaijutsu check result in half, but the damage overcomes all damage reduction because it's now typeless? I think that's what you're getting at. Well, for starters, I would change the name. For nexters, it's an ALRIGHT ability, but I can't say I really like the wording. How about:

"By taking a -10 penalty on his Iajutsu Focus check when attacking a flat-footed creature, the [Homebrew] can choose to ignore the target's Damage Reduction, if any."

That sound a little better?

You can deflect spells, cool. But add in that you need to be holding a weapon and remove that part about the spell's "base level." That makes you a little too powerful, as you can counter pretty much anything meta-magicked with little effort. Although without Spellcraft, I suppose you're really working blindly with this ability, so you'll have to keep using up high-level maneuvers just to make absolutely certain that you'll counter the spell.

20:

Can cut even the air: When homebrew drawis a one handed weapon attacks he make treat the weapon as projectile weapon with a range of 5ft (Meaning he can strike at 10ft at -2 15 -4 up to 50ft at -20) This does not threaten additional squares

By the reading of this, I can now throw my sword, but only from the sheath.
I see what you're getting at, though. And I really don't think this fit the class too well. I mean, you've got speed-powers and precision-powers so far, suddenly being able to create shockwaves of air doesn't fit in too well, I'd say.

what do you think too powerful? too weak? Please give me opinions and suggestions. Also need help with a name.

Well, it definitely needs some elbow grease, but I think it's a workable idea. Clean up the post a little, and in the meantime I'll see if I can't come up with anything to help you out.

As for a name? Uh... Precision Adept?