PDA

View Full Version : Kewl Extreme Edgy 90's Anti-Hero Names!!! Extreme!!!

Crow T. Robot
2009-05-20, 10:16 PM
I have hit a bit of a writer's block in my campaign. Players are going to be dealing with some very obnoxious "heroes".

Thus I want the most obnoxious 90's names to go with them. So far I've struck out, and gone with -man or -woman names, and I don't like it. Players already want to nail their ears to a wall, but I want to go the extra mile and cause spite just upon learning their names.

But as I said, a writer's block hit me. Hard. While my more traditional names were bland (Nova-Man, eh) they at least worked for what I needed.

If anyone has ideas, I'd be grateful to hear them.

Ravens_cry
2009-05-20, 10:26 PM
Let's see,

Darknaz
KilzAll
Hardjob
Bone Packer
Bruze
Blood-X
Zavage
Gutzpill
Crimzone
It seems to be down right now, but check out TV Tropes: 90's Antihero (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NinetiesAntiHero) for further inspiration.

Deth Muncher
2009-05-20, 10:29 PM
Super King (for the royal antihero), Captain Yesterday (perhaps a bard?), and Clobberella (for the female bruiser).

No, I didn't rip those from Futurama. *handwave*

Ravens_cry
2009-05-20, 10:33 PM
Super King (for the royal antihero), Captain Yesterday (perhaps a bard?), and Clobberella (for the female bruiser).

No, I didn't rip those from Futurama. *handwave*
Rip off or not, they felt more Silver Age to me.

TheDon
2009-05-20, 10:37 PM
Since he's an anti-hero, the name Blood Raven Nightstalker seems good to me :P I would definitivly want to kill anyone with that name upon hearing it :P

Edit : it MAY be a rip off from Baldur's gate II... or not, I don't remember :/

Malacode
2009-05-20, 11:56 PM
Tha Red Hood.
She should be like 7 or something and fight wolves.

BobVosh
2009-05-21, 12:09 AM
do you know what they do? Extreme puns always go a long way.

Mewtarthio
2009-05-21, 12:22 AM
Bloody Vengeance
Dark Revenge
Bloodark Revengeance

TrashCat
2009-05-21, 12:26 AM
Bloody Vengeance
Dark Revenge
Bloodark Revengeance

Oh God, kill it! KILL IT!

TrashCat
2009-05-21, 12:30 AM
Oh yeah, before I forget. My thoroughly unoriginal contribution:

Grimm Shado
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/1/19/

TheThan
2009-05-21, 12:56 AM
The key to creating a comic book style 90s anti-hero name is simple. To do so just follow this formula.

Single word names that are synonyms are otherwise related to the following:

Anger
Death
Killing
Rebelling (against the norm)
Hatred
Anything sounding edgy
Anything sounding gritty
Anything aggressive sounding
Anything destructive sounding
Types of weapons, particularly the bladed sort
Slightly occult sounding
Anything gory
darkness

Examples:

War
Malice
Wrath
Slayer
Slaughterer
Saber
Scythe
Decimator
Witch
Warlock
Enchantress
Blood Curl
Entrails feaster

Combining any of the others with bladed weapons is always a plus.
For example:

War scythe
Wrath blade
Witch saber
Blood sword

Things to avoid

Names that give away the character’s powers
Names that end with man/woman/boy/girl
Names that start with military ranks: captain, sergeant, general (the exception are lousy puns like “General Chaos”)
Anything that sounds remotely patriotic
Anything that suggests peace, harmony and generally nice things
Cute things, butterflies, unicorns etc.. Unless they take a really dark and freaky turn that is

Tallis
2009-05-21, 01:00 AM
X-Treme
Icecold
Muscle Machine
Bullet
Dark Gun
Brutus
Bloodwolf
Flak
Chrome Tiger
Gunmetal
Metalik
Atomik
Ultrablade
Bloodshadow
Dark
XXX
Hunter X
Gunshow
Super-Jock
Gunblade

Some are better than others. It's late, hope there's something you can use in there.

chiasaur11
2009-05-21, 01:01 AM
Oh yeah, before I forget. My thoroughly unoriginal contribution:

Grimm Shado
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/1/19/

I still think Dr. Raven Darktalon Blood is a better name for this job.

Blood, dark, shadow, and hawk are all good ingredients for a 90s antihero name.

Dragonmuncher
2009-05-21, 01:08 AM
Jim Darkmagic could kill them all... while hanging upside down from a rope ladder

Levyathyn
2009-05-21, 01:55 AM
Anything literally edgy works. Anything prefaced by dark or blood, or anything suffaced by a weapon or emotion is perfect. Anything slightly mispelled to give an 'anti-establishment' feel works, also. Cool animals work, as does anything that sounds like an attack. And you just mix and match until you have something so ridiculous you have to go sit down for a spell.

Darkrage
Talon
Bloodwing
Shayd
Bane Blackblade
Nytewolf
Slash
James Darkwolf
Darkedge Killjoy McNightshade
Darkhawk Fear
Crimson Blade
Rumble X

I think I'm going to keep Darkedge Killjoy McNightshade, though. =) A real keeper, there.

Juggernaut1981
2009-05-21, 02:04 AM
I suggest that you stick with the classic "Puntastic" names... just because people want to kill the BBEG so you don't say their name again.

General Chaos
Misan Throw-pick
Kii Lerr
General Phayel (say it people...)
Pauer Gaymer (again... say it people, even just quietly to yourself)
Wildoo Wright
Pastor Buck
Pastor Sourse

The glorious pain can continue...

Sure the game often at this point descends into Monty Python sketches and double entendre involving hamsters, sausages and PVC pipes... but still you get the idea.

Parties work twice as hard to kill a BBEG with a REALLY crap pun for a name.

Option B: Find a few letters you hate, put them next to each other and end it with "on" "en" or "a". Xykon actually falls in this category...

raitalin
2009-05-21, 02:09 AM
Just remember to stick as many Ks, Xs, Ys and Zs in there as possible. They're *EXTREME!!!!* Combine this with the above suggestions for *EXTREME* obnoxiousness.

KoldKill
Xaxxys
Azzazzyn
Blayd
Kolozzzuz
Xax

Haven
2009-05-21, 02:11 AM
Misan Throw-pick

</thread>

Let's see.

Murderbloke.
Darktreader.
Bloodbleeder.
Negator.
Thunk.
Nightfighter.
Dawnslasher.
Twilight...chair.

Levyathyn
2009-05-21, 02:41 AM
Misan Throw-pick

I agree with Haven; A winner is Juggernaut. Although Murderbloke is even now being filed away for further use. =D

Is anyone else remembering Going Postal and the wonderfully simplistic Greivous Bodily Harmsworth?

When I first read that, I lol'd everywhere.

Townopolis
2009-05-21, 02:58 AM
So far I really like Bruze, Revengeance, and Darkhawk Fear. The rest don't quite inspire the same level of OMGKILLITNOW!

Alcopop
2009-05-21, 03:21 AM
Obsidian Blackbird MckNight. The grimmest goth to ever wield hairspray!

bosssmiley
2009-05-21, 03:35 AM
</thread>

Let's see.

Murderbloke

Ah, the archetypal Ellis/Ennis 90s anti-hero. Chain smoker, foul-mouthed, Texan (if not British), and has plot armour a mile thick. Polymorphous and dimension-shifting (as seen in Hellblazer*, Preacher, Stormwatch/The Authority, Transmetropolitan, The Boys, etc. ad nauseum...) :smallamused:

* Cor! How 90s is that in and of itself?!

on topic: 90s Wildstorm Comics are comedy gold (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormwatch_(comics)#Members_of_Stormwatch) for the purposes of this thread.

@V: There is only one Cobra (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090859/) (and he is the solution to the problem that is crime). :smallcool:

VirOath
2009-05-21, 03:37 AM
I can't believe you people, not a single "Cobra!" in all of that.

TSED
2009-05-21, 04:54 AM
For extra killitnowwithaddedfire, put two words together that basically MEAN THE SAME THING. If they usually go hand in hand, reverse the order (ie gunshooter / Shootgunner).

Apply any previously mentioned rules.

Krowrayvin. (To quote Haley, Coup De Grace me now!)

Dethdide.

oh god these already sound like 1980s failmetal bands. Hey, Goreguts.

(Or Bludgoar?)

Shanknaif

Nitedark.

Howndwolf.

Ironsteel.

I need to go commit suicide now, thanks a ton.

elliott20
2009-05-21, 04:57 AM
Dark Dirk Phoenix

or you can just... you know, have the guy call himself something blatantly stupid like Sephirothxxx2000 or something.

Gnorman
2009-05-21, 05:34 AM
Ah, the archetypal Ellis/Ennis 90s anti-hero. Chain smoker, foul-mouthed, Texan (if not British), and has plot armour a mile thick. Polymorphous and dimension-shifting (as seen in Hellblazer*, Preacher, Stormwatch/The Authority, Transmetropolitan, The Boys, etc. ad nauseum...) :smallamused:

* Cor! How 90s is that in and of itself?!

on topic: 90s Wildstorm Comics are comedy gold for the purposes of this thread.

@V: There is only one Cobra (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090859/) (and he is the solution to the problem that is crime). :smallcool:

I'm not 100% sure of just what exactly you said here (Cor?! I'm an ignorant American, pshaw, of course I don't know what Cor means [okay I really do but for the sake of comedy let's pretend]), but I am 100% that anyone who drops down some Jesse Custer and Spider Jerusalem on us all is truly deserving of my respect, admiration, and love.

Worira
2009-05-21, 09:56 AM
A couple good name generators: Evil names (http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=evilnamer) and eXtreme names (http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=fantasynameex).

TrashCat
2009-05-21, 10:40 AM
on topic: 90s Wildstorm Comics are comedy gold (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormwatch_(comics)#Members_of_Stormwatch) for the purposes of this thread.

I... I just scrolled through that entire Wikipedia article. :smalleek: This is all your fault, bosssmiley!

skeeter_dan
2009-05-21, 12:15 PM
Dark Dirk Phoenix

I was christened Dirk Steel...

ZeroNumerous
2009-05-21, 12:36 PM
I generated a few, but so far here's my favorite:

Give it a second..

Madhate The Angry.

Theodoriph
2009-05-21, 12:37 PM
Raker
Rayne
Graft
Gristle
Blair
Cragg

Honestly...watch American Gladiators or something. They all have stupid names like Steel.

Mmm...you could always steal a real one from somewhere =D Like...

Max Payne
General Grievous

Those were pretty bad =D

If you're looking to make them cringe though you need bad jokes like the two directly above and err:

King Rex and his wife Queen Regina
Nomere Ranger

Call the desert city Dockport, the golem Cassius Clay, the club wielding barbarian Blade, the gnoll Degrassy...things like that =D

Crow T. Robot
2009-05-21, 04:37 PM
This is just so beautiful. I mean this is wonderful. I am going to put these in a list. Heck, the ones I don't use I can put on any wannabe or cannon fodder for giggles.

Thanks everyone for helping out. When Blood-X Darkwolf is getting his head bounced off the pavement I'll remember this.

Levyathyn
2009-05-21, 07:29 PM
It's kind of sad, but in the early to mid 90's when I started chatting online, I went by DarkEdge. =P

Honestly, it was less Grimdark/X-Treme and more of Final Fantasy IV fandom; The name Edge was already taken, so I cheesed it up.

Aedilred
2009-05-21, 07:40 PM
WFRP1 was loaded with puns, the only two of which have stuck with me were the Arabian merchant Salladh-bar and, of course, the legendary Baron von Saponatheim.

There are/were quite a lot more though (and a few bilingual puns for good measure).

krossbow
2009-05-21, 07:52 PM
Hoss delgado

Juggernaut1981
2009-05-21, 08:28 PM
Other painful puns and dodgey villain names... Say them out loud...

Snake (Plissken, etc, etc, etc)
Commander (Keen/Sharp/Knife/Sword/Conquer)
Jack Boot
Jack Knife
Maxx **Does need two X's

[I]General Names (Put General in front of these and say out loud...)
Pain
Sirj Er'rie
Killa
Pann D'moan-Iam
Kawz O'deth
Messij Buoy

Master Names (Put Master in front)
Don
Ree
Fuul
Lee
... (there are too many options)

Miscellaneous
Misad Venture
Mist Dayley
Mist Fortune
Mist Kaullin
Keypem Gessin
Keypem Ar'lyve
Losdin Kon'fuuzed
Paul A'Din
Rayn Jerr
Drew Id
Claire Rick
Rogue Trader

Do I need to continue to win the contest of "DM with the most number of PAINFUL pun names"????

Knaight
2009-05-21, 08:40 PM
If you need a pair of antiheroes you could always go with Schism and Shard. Although those would actually work as superhero names. Or you can take it over the top, using professions or puns. That's always fun.
Lungcarver.
Bonemason.
The Banker.
Crehd Ihtcaurd.

The last two have a time limit to use effectively.

The Glyphstone
2009-05-21, 09:45 PM
Master Names (Put Master in front)
Don
Ree
Fuul
Lee
... (there are too many options)

you forgot the best one...it might not be PG-13 to outright state on these boards, but the missing Master you forgot shares a last name with the principal character of Psycho.:smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2009-05-21, 09:56 PM
you forgot the best one...it might not be PG-13 to outright state on these boards, but the missing Master you forgot shares a last name with the principal character of Psycho.:smallsmile:
Master ***** is such a jerk.:smalltongue:

The_JJ
2009-05-21, 10:38 PM
*facepalm*

That said, I've always liked the idea of naming the town clerics or whoever the stiches up the players/their victims Dawk, Ban Daid, Meh'Richard or Corman.

The Glyphstone
2009-05-21, 10:42 PM
Master ***** is such a jerk.:smalltongue:

That might be a little harsh,but he's definitely not someone you want to lend you a hand...

TheThan
2009-05-21, 10:58 PM
Fortunately I have a list of super villian names I never got around to using. Feel free to borrow any of these.

Count Murder
Baroness zephyr
Moldo
Rockclaw
Euthanasiasian
King Darkness
Lady Blazer
Shadow Huntress
Death Claw
Blue Pacer
Mechanical Mistress
Rose Pearl
Explosiveoid
Jester
Snow Chill
Radioactive Golem
Megatornado
Armored Hound
Jet Man
Arachnokiller
Cyborg Beast
Frenzyblossom
Genocide
Bio-war
Dr. Destructor
Hazard

some of these are so bad their good, while others are just plain bad.

Alcopop
2009-05-21, 11:45 PM
Other painful puns and dodgey villain
Miscellaneous
Misad Venture
Mist Dayley
Mist Fortune
Mist Kaullin
Keypem Gessin
Keypem Ar'lyve
Losdin Kon'fuuzed
Paul A'Din
Rayn Jerr
Drew Id
Claire Rick
Rogue Trader

Do I need to continue to win the contest of "DM with the most number of PAINFUL pun names"????

Ha, that reminds me back in my green days my and a friends played two luck domain cleric sisters called Lady Luck and Miss Fortune! yeah... they didn't last long.

Dixieboy
2009-05-22, 05:10 AM
you forgot the best one...it might not be PG-13 to outright state on these boards, but the missing Master you forgot shares a last name with the principal character of Psycho.:smallsmile:Norman Bates?

:smallconfused:

7th lvl scrub
2009-05-22, 09:36 AM

In the 4e campaign I'm in, there's actually a character named one of those names...

Grail
2009-05-22, 10:15 AM
If you've got access to Palladium Books, Villains Unlimited there are some good ones in there.

Onslaught
Belicose
The Electrocutioner
Glaciator

just to name a few.