PDA

View Full Version : [4e] EDs and a Monster

Sir Homeslice
2009-05-21, 01:05 AM
The EDs.
Soul of the Sun (http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8728/1229609574038.jpg)
"Everything burns, and you are no exception."

Prerequisite: 21st level.

Everburning Flames (21st level): You increase one of your ability scores by 2. In addition, all of your powers that deal ongoing damage instead deal fire damage and gain the Fire keyword, and all ongoing damage you deal ignores all fire resistance and fire immunity. Enemies affected by ongoing damage you deal take a -3 penalty to saving throws made to end it.

Burn Away (24th level): Every daily power you possess deals extra ongoing fire damage equal to your highest ability modifier. Every time an enemy fails a saving throw against ongoing damage you deal, you may increase that ongoing damage by 5 as an immediate reaction. In addition, you gain a +5 bonus to saving throws against ongoing damage.

Lord of the Black Sun (30th level): Every encounter power you possess deals extra ongoing fire damage equal to your highest ability modifier. Whenever one of your encounter or daily powers that inflicts ongoing damage would miss, you may forgo any miss effect to regain the power.

Image of the Sun---Soul of the Sun Utility 26
A spark of fire ignites in the air and explodes outwards into a small image of the sun. Under it's searing light, your enemies burn to ash like paper in an inferno.
Daily ✦ Fire, Conjuration
Minor Action---Ranged 10
Effect: You conjure a Large sized miniature sun in an unoccupied area within range. All enemies within 6 squares of this conjuration receive a -3 penalty on saving throws against ongoing damage. In addition, enemies that are already suffering from ongoing damage increase the ongoing damage they take by 5 when Image Glory of the Sun is used. The miniature sun lasts until the end of your next turn. Allies may move through, and end their turn within the squares this conjuration occupies. Enemies cannot.
Sustain Minor: When you sustain the miniature sun, you can move it six squares.

Walker in the Mists (http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8632/8eb3644f01d4a8a7923ffc6.jpg)
"Teleportation? No, no, I'm just rearranging the universe around me."

Prerequisite: 21st level, trained in Arcana.

Odd Space (21st level): You increase one of your ability scores by 2. In addition, you gain a teleport speed equal to half your speed, and whenever you teleport while prone, you can stand up as part of that movement.

Arc Asunder (24th level): Whenever you teleport 3 or more squares, trace a straight line from the center of the origin square to the center of the destination square. Any enemy occupying a square that the line crosses takes damage equal to your Intellegence, Wisdom, or Charisma modifier. Enemies adjacent to you after you teleport take damage equal to your Intellegence, Wisdom, or Charisma modifier.

Worlds Collide (30th level): Odd Space's teleport speed is now equal to your speed. In addition, once per turn as a minor action you can teleport up to three creatures within 10 squares a number of squares equal to your Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma modifier. Arc Asunder applies to the creatures you teleport with this feature, but the damage they deal affects only your enemies.

Paths Revealed---Walker in the Mists Utility 26
Encounter ✦ Teleport
Move Action---Personal
Effect: Teleport your speed, and until the end of your next turn, you and all allies in close burst 10 gain a teleport speed equal to your speed. Allies gain the Arc Asunder feature until the end of your enxt turn.

Numina Sovereign (http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5884/122495868657.jpg)
"Two spirits are more useful than one."

Prerequisites: 21st level, Shaman, call spirit companion power.

Sundered Spirit (21st level): You increase one of your ability scores by 2. In addition, you can use your call spirit companion power to conjure an extra spirit companion. When you attack with a spirit power, you choose which spirit companion to use for the attack. When an effect applies to creatures adjacent to your spirit companion, that effect applies to creatures adjacent to both spirit companions.

Thorns of Peril (24th level): Enemies within 2 squares of spirit companions you control take damage equal to your Wisdom modifier at the end of their turn

Rending the Gauntlet (30th level): Any benefits granted to allies adjacent to your spirit companion apply to all allies within 3 squares of your spirit companion. Any effects that require an enemy to be adjacent to your spirit companion is now extended to 3 squares of your spirit companion. Once per turn as a minor action, select any ally in sight. Until the end of your next turn, that ally is considered to be a spirit companion in regards to powers and features that call for a spirit companion.

Warding Animism---Numina Soverign Utility 26
Encounter ✦ Conjuration, Primal
Minor Action---Wall 8 within 10 squares.
Effect: You conjure a wall of spirits that blocks line of sight and line of effect for enemies, but not for your allies. Enemies cannot pass through the wall. In addition, the entire wall counts as a single spirit companion for the purposes of the spirit's shield or spirit's shield power. The wall lasts until the end of your next turn.
The Monster
The pale man before you in black armor screams as you plunge your spear into him. His face twisted in agony, he gives you one glance with hatred in his eyes before a black flame consumes him utterly and all you remember is a single bright red eye amidst a humanoid figure wreathed in the blackest fire...

Oswald:
Unthinking dreadnaughts of the country of Ringford, Oswalds are terrifying machines of war permanently in the service to their country.

Oswald Tactics
Willing to fight to the complete end, Oswalds throw themselves at their enemies and begin battle with a Phozon Burst to mark as many enemies as they can, using it again and again as they see fit. While Phozon Burst recharges, Oswalds attempt to keep as many targets marked. Defending their cohorts is their first priority, slaughter their second.

Oswald Lore
A character knows the following information about Oswalds with a successful Arcana or History check.

Arcana:
DC 25: Oswalds are created by selling the souls of people to the goddess of death, who in return grant them blades made of jewels from her realm of death.
DC 30: The jewels that compromise the blades of the Oswald's weapon absorb the essence of the soul and use it as fuel for their abilities. These souls are lost until their swords are shattered.

History:
DC 15: Oswald was the name of a Ringford swordsman whose adoptive father sold his soul to the goddess of death in exchange for martial abilities and an unmatched blade.
DC 20: Oswald's end was brutal and quite squicky, after having escaped death thrice before by literally beating back the Halja that the goddess of death sent after him, she personally descended upon the land herself and removed his organs through his bowels, after laughing at his feeble attempts to battle her. Because really, fighting the goddess of death with her own sword is DUMB.

Oswald (Level 13 Elite Soldier)
Medium Natural Humanoid
1,600 EXP
Initiative +15
Senses; Perception +12; low-light vision
Endelphia's Flames aura 2; enemies within this aura take 10 necrotic damage at the beginning of their turn. (Only active while under Fury of Endelphia)
Regeneration 10 (only functions while under Fury of Endelphia)
HP 264 ; Bloodied 132
AC 31 ; Fortitude 29 ; Reflex 25 ; Will 28
Immune ; Disease, poison, and sleep.
Resist ; Necrotic 5
Vulnerable ; Psychic 10
Saving Throws ; +2, +4 against fear and charm effects.
Speed 7
Action Point 1

Melee Basic: Black Blade (standard action; at-will)
+20 vs AC; 2d8+6 damage and the target is slowed until the end of their next turn.

Black Arc (standard action; at-will)
Oswald makes two Black Blade attacks.

Ruby Streak (minor; at-will)
+20 vs AC; 1d10+6 damage.

Phozon Burst (standard; recharge 6)
Close burst 3; +16 vs Fortitude; 3d10+6 damage. Miss: Half damage.

Endelphian Overload (free, when first bloodied; encounter)
Oswald automatically recovers Phozon Burst and uses it immediately.

Showstopper (Immediate interrupt; when an adjacent target marked by Oswald shifts or moves)
Oswald cancels that movement.

Combat Challenge
Every time Oswald attacks an enemy, whether that attack hits or misses, Oswald can mark that target. The mark lasts until the end of Oswald's next turn. In addition, whenever an adjacent enemy shifts, Oswald makes a melee basic attack against that enemy (as an immediate interrupt).

Reactive Swordsman
Oswald may make two immediate actions per turn instead of the usual one.

Fury of Endelphia (when first bloodied; encounter)
Oswald changes to his shadow form. He receives a +2 to attack rolls and a +5 bonus to damage rolls. This bonus increases to +4 to attack rolls and +10 to damage rolls on an opportunity attack or melee basic attack granted by Combat Challenge. In addition, he restores his HP back to his bloodied value.

Reaper's Game (when first bloodied; encounter)
close burst 5; all allies of Oswald are invisible to creatures marked by Oswald (save ends)

Mind Blank
Oswald receives a +2 bonus to defense against powers with the fear or charm keywords.

Alignment Unaligned Languages Common, Dwarven
Skills stick 'em in later
Str 24 Con 20 Dex 22
Int 18 Wis 20 Cha 22
Equipment: Scale armor, crystal longsword

As evident from above, I am absolutely terrible at making fluff. Comments, criticism, PEACH, all the good things in life.

Sir Homeslice
2009-05-24, 08:04 PM
Fifty-seven views and nothing? Really?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-05-24, 08:09 PM
I'm no 4e expert, but these all seem VERY overpowered, even for Epic Destinies.

The sheer number of features packed into what should just be three separate features accounts for much of this, but many of your features are really powerful by themselves. I'd critique more, but my 4e balance is a little shaky...hopefully someone more capable will either dismiss my claims or back them up.

Sir Homeslice
2009-05-25, 10:29 PM
hopefully someone more capable will either dismiss my claims or back them up.

Which is the entire point of this thread. I find that knocking things down a few levels is easier than having to add power to something.

Crossfiyah
2009-05-27, 01:17 AM
I agree. Your EDs are way too good, and your monster has too many abilities for an Elite.

Mando Knight
2009-05-27, 12:07 PM
I agree with Crossfiyah. It has better attack capability than the Medusa Warrior (level 13 Elite Soldier) (potential 3 attacks vs AC per turn, including a minor action attack that deals standard-action level damage), and more powers than a level 13 Solo (Adult Blue Dragon), as well as the Solo's almost unique ability to act more often than it should and enter a more powerful form when bloodied. Elites shouldn't do that. The Angel of Vengeance (level 19 Elite) becomes immune to damage once when bloodied, then returns to normal gets weaker since it loses its free damage dealing.

For the Epic Destinies... ugh.
Soul of the Sun destroys everything. It induces ungodly amounts of Ongoing damage, then ensures that it stays in effect.

Walker in the Mists has simply broken movement, with at-will, full-speed teleportation that deals damage at the end of movement, and allows you to at-will teleport allies massive distances (Even greater than your speed, for those who have high mental stats).

The Numina Sovereign looks like a Controller-type Destiny, dealing unblockable damage to enemies within a close burst 2 of your spirit companion. Shaman is a Leader class, isn't it? Then its class-specific Epic Destinies should emphasize that.

Sir Homeslice
2009-05-27, 07:17 PM
I'll get to the Oswald later since I have a creator's hardon for it.

For the Epic Destinies... ugh.
Soul of the Sun destroys everything. It induces ungodly amounts of Ongoing damage, then ensures that it stays in effect.
However!

The ongoing damage it deals is fairly buff, I agree, as I designed it that way, but the HP of monsters at Epic simply scales in a huge way, or at least big enough that a power dealing ongoing 10 damage at 21st level, with only the basic -3 penalty deals an average of 25 damage before it fizzles. Making the penalty -5 increases the damage by 8, to 33.

Either way, I'm the least happy about Soul of the Sun. While criticism is fine, I still would like suggestions on balancing while keeping the ongoing damage theme.

Walker in the Mists has simply broken movement, with at-will, full-speed teleportation that deals damage at the end of movement, and allows you to at-will teleport allies massive distances (Even greater than your speed, for those who have high mental stats).
I did go somewhat overboard with the teleportation I suppose... While Walker in the Mists is my favorite of the three EDs I created, I still am open to suggestions. I mainly wanted to do a teleportation focused ED, and quite frankly was out of ideas by large.

The Numina Sovereign looks like a Controller-type Destiny, dealing unblockable damage to enemies within a close burst 2 of your spirit companion. Shaman is a Leader class, isn't it? Then its class-specific Epic Destinies should emphasize that.
In my view, Shamans are Leader/Controllers, and are completely focused around the Spirit Companion. Since there is only one Companion at a time, a certain level 10 utility aside, I figured a good way to beef up the Shaman would be to allow it a second companion. In addition, the damage only applies at the end of the creature's turn. So unless they're locked down somehow, the damage is quite easy to circumvent.

The 30th level feature might be a bit out of line though.

Also I have a feeling that you only look at the EDs in practice at level 30, instead of judging them at all four levels where you get a feature.

Shadow_Elf
2009-05-27, 09:11 PM
A few things:

1. The Soul of the Sun doesn't seem too awfully broken, but I would change the "any ability modifier" to "+2 Specific Modifier". Works much better for balance, IMHO. I would recommend picking Constitution, Charisma or Wisdom as the associated ability modifier, and making the later feature key off the same modifier.

2. Walker in the mists is a little out of line, but I don't think its unfixable. Lets make the associated ability score INT, instead of any, or maybe CHA, your pick. There is a level 30 ED feature that gives Teleport Speed 5 and 10 fire damage vs. any enemy adjacent when the Prince of Hell (Dragon Mag) leaves a square via teleportation. Balance the ED accordingly, since the Prince of Hell is pretty balanced (and the level 30 feature Brimstone Step (as described above) is really in line with what you want to do). Also, make its level 24 feature have something to do with dying, like

Level 24: Step Through the Mist
Once per day, when you die, you regain hitpoints equal to your bloodied value, teleport 12 squares and turn invisible until the end of your next turn.

Something to that effect, could be a little better or worse and still be in line.

The Dual-Spirit Companions thing is cool, but needs work. Make the ability score WIS, and make it healing allies with your Spirit Companions instead of hurting enemies (you ARE a Leader, regardless of your secondary role, and Mando is right here, you should represent that). Drop the "consider an ally a a spirit companion" thing at level 30 and give them a death related thing like most EDs, maybe something to do with their spirit companions becoming corporeal and casting spells after you die then restoring you to 1 hitpoint at the end of the encounter or somesuch. I'm sure you'll think of something.

Otherwise, I really like the flavour of the three EDs. I'm not the expert on monsters though, so you'll have to wait for someone else to give that a good look.