PDA

View Full Version : What I think about Highschool...

Kjata
2009-05-21, 01:16 AM
First off, the hate, because that is why I am mainly making this thread.

So many people i know say they hate all the drama in high school, which kinda pisses me off. I don't care about petty drama bs, so i don't pay attention to it. I never see drama. All I do is study, read, get high, and occasionally go to parties with my good friends, and I'm pretty content with high school. People who are involved in all this drama they bitch about are just seeking it out, just so they can complain.

Or maybe there is drama, and it just can't penetrate this bubble around me that is thicker than I thought. Oh well.

What do you hate about highschool?

Now for the like. Just so this thread isn't all negative :smallwink:

I like how there are so many people around you all the time. There are so many interesting people. Of course, there are both shallow and boring people, but they are a pretty small majority. I like how I fit in with so many groups, both because I am a good actor and because I'm not quick to judge.

What do you like about highschool?

V'icternus
2009-05-21, 01:19 AM
I hate how the teachers have stopped teaching.

I like how, uh...

I'll get back to you on that, I swear.

Dumbledore lives
2009-05-21, 01:21 AM
I noticed you didn't actually mention anything about the education in your post. How is the education in the states? Can't be any worse than here, I barely learn anything, and all the focus is on exams, nothing else matters. At least some of the teachers seem to realize that.

skywalker
2009-05-21, 01:24 AM
I like how in high school you can be a high school kid, and not have to worry about the real world, or getting a good job to buy the kinda house you want to buy and support your family/kids.

Mainly the fact that all the fun adults have is pretty easily accessible, but you can hide from all the adult responsibilities.

I miss senior year infinitely.

averagejoe
2009-05-21, 01:27 AM
I noticed you didn't actually mention anything about the education in your post. How is the education in the states? Can't be any worse than here, I barely learn anything, and all the focus is on exams, nothing else matters. At least some of the teachers seem to realize that.

My math education was pretty good. Great, even. English too, but a lot of that I attribute to the fact that I had some of the best instructors I've ever had my sophomore and junior years. History was pretty abysmal, for the most part. Physics and chemistry were good, biology and the earth sciences not as much. At least, that was my experience.

I definitely learned a lot of good thing in high school. They also wasted a lot of my time. The social stuff I just ignored; it was surprisingly easy to do so.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-05-21, 01:28 AM
This:

I like how there are so many people around you all the time. There are so many interesting people. Of course, there are both shallow and boring people, but they are a pretty small majority. I like how I fit in with so many groups, both because I am a good actor and because I'm not quick to judge.
I would also like to add that it's fun to go around different groups of people you're friends with.

That 99.5% of homework is mindless retarded busywork. Which means you can either waste 4 hours a night doing the exact same problem with slightly different numbers, you can not do it and get a C- in the class despite acing every single test and project, or you can copy it from your buddies and only waste 2 hours on actually copying it.

Also that too much importance is placed on trivial stuff which ultimately doesn't matter. No-one ever really cares that you got suspended. And too much importance is placed on being present instead of actually, you know, learning stuff. Which is funny considering that even in places like Harvard you can quite easily skip most of your classes and still get great marks if you know the material. Well, can't do that in high school... It seems like it's made to reward (sorry to stereotype) the stereotypical Asian kids who do nothing but study 20 hours a day and have no life. Even if the kids are absolute morons.

Oh, and that teachers mark way too subjectively. I got 72.4% in English (0.1% away from a B in Canada) in grade 12, for example, yet it was the second highest mark in the class and all the way until my report card my stuff added up to around 75%. With all of the other teachers I would have gotten at least an 87ish (A-).

I love the social aspects of high school though. Just dislike the academic ones.

Vella_Malachite
2009-05-21, 01:30 AM
About high school, I hate the amount of time it takes up. Even if the hours were more flexible, I think I'd enjoy it infinitely more. See, I'm a night person, and I'd prefer to work at night than during the day, so if I could do my schoolwork then, and not have to wake up early to get to classes, I think I'd do a lot better.

I like...Well, I'm not fond of the students, but I like the teachers. When you're really interested in a subject, it's awesome to have an expert really close who you can talk to. Some of my teachers, I could live without, but generally, my teachers are really good.

Kjata
2009-05-21, 01:31 AM

It's acceptable. I think if you want to learn, you will. Most people don't want to though.

MisterSaturnine
2009-05-21, 01:37 AM
I like the people I've met on my way through high school, students and teachers I like. Like you originally said, Kjata--lots of interesting folks. Lots of people I love dearly and likely will never lose connection with. In addition, my teachers actually know how to teach. My high school experience has taught me how to think--my natural impulse upon hearing information is--in no small part due to my education--to take it in, question what I'm hearing, and leverage it with other possible perspectives. I'll also definitely miss doing theater at my high school. I'll do it in college (and hopefully beyond), but there's just something about high school theater.

That said...drama does pull you in sometimes. There's a particular bit of drama that has ruined the end of my senior year, and means I'm leaving with a heavier heart than I should have. Even when you try to avoid it, some drama will grab you by the feet and bring you down. Worse yet, it's because of someone I not only love, but someone I loved/love the most. So, that's no good.

potatocubed
2009-05-21, 01:59 AM
High school made me the man I am today. That is, an embittered misanthrope.

Dumbledore lives
2009-05-21, 02:10 AM
Spoiled for length and the fact that I kind of went on a rant.

Some of the teachers at my school seem to actually care about our education, and a few actively declare their hate for the system, in that it is wholly based on exams. One of the parts I hate most about the school system here, NCEA, is that it is entirely possible, to be one question away from the best grade, and end up failing. That is just the way the system works, and that happened to a friend of mine, luckily the teacher was generous, but if it was an exam or something he would have been screwed. That filtering knowledge is important though, and that is what one of the teachers is trying to teach us which is always good. And there are definitely a lot of interesting people, some stranger than others. I think I would have preferred high school in America, even from my couple days visit to it.

Quincunx
2009-05-21, 02:22 AM
Lockers. I miss lockers. Having your own space in the middle of a public building was something special, and was worth the annual oopsie of vicious bruising via lock (usually the one to your left).

[EDIT: Forgot one I hope nobody else had: Hate of the water. Which is worse, the school building built in '76 where the water in the fountains sometimes came out green, or the one built in '22 where the basement lavatories had a worm infestation?]

Ninja Chocobo
2009-05-21, 02:32 AM
High school was pretty much completely terrible.
There were maybe eight people out of a class of 150-odd who were bearable to hang around with. Two of them left before year 12. So much time was wasted on things that would not impact any aspect of my life afterwards. English was the worst; nothing but essays, marked solely on wordcount and whether you had the same opinions as the marker. Now I'm doing a college course and while the material is a lot better, I cannot say the same for the people. Is there a point where >90% of the population stop being jerk-bags?

Starscream
2009-05-21, 02:48 AM
High school stunk but I'm a senior in college now, and I have to admit it's pretty sweet. I only go to class when I want, I study only the subjects I'm interested in, and my professors are actual experts in their field (Computer Science and Engineering), so they are actually pretty fascinating.

So don't sweat the whole high school thing. Just do well, and then you can go off an get a REAL education.

thubby
2009-05-21, 03:22 AM
my highschool carrier sucked. the teachers act like you're guilty until proven otherwise, enough of the students are evil to make it hell if they want to, and more importantly no one does anything about it.
for whatever reason the teachers just put up with it.
i did learn quite a bit in regards to math and science, but the rest was really a waste. it was either wrong, irrelevant, or so devoid of personal meaning that i didn't hang onto it.

it did help shape me into who i am today, and I'm overall happy with who i am, so i guess that's a plus.

college is infinitely better.

GoC
2009-05-21, 03:52 AM
Self-taugh:
Education and learning: A+
Social life and understanding how social life works: D:smallsigh:

Is highschool at all like what's shown on TV?

toasty
2009-05-21, 04:33 AM
I'm homeschooling my way through the American system High school via a combination of my mom's instruction and an online tutoring company called The Potter's School (finishing 11th grade next week. w00t!) so erm.. all the social stuff... I can't comment on. :p All I can say is that I know I'm getting the best possible education (minus considering a boarding school, which I never really wanted). All the good schools that teach in English here are A) not actually that good and usually B) really expensive. I know the school run by the American Embassy has way to much "drama" and kids spending more time getting stoned than actually studying (because a few years ago one of my friends went there. Then during a sleepover explained to me how many times he got drunk at parties for absolutely no reason).

And to anyone who says that homeschoolers are anti-social or missing out on social stuff... maybe, but I'm not that social anyways so I doubt I'd do a lot of socialization anyways. More likely I'd be the kid who sits alone or has a very small group of friends...

Black_Pants_Guy
2009-05-21, 05:03 AM
Self-taught:

Is high school at all like what's shown on TV?

Not at all: The Parties have less make-outs and more Guitar Hero...and a lot of Vodka instead of Beer.

Helanna
2009-05-21, 06:24 AM
That 99.5% of homework is mindless retarded busywork. Which means you can either waste 4 hours a night doing the exact same problem with slightly different numbers, you can not do it and get a C- in the class despite acing every single test and project, or you can copy it from your buddies and only waste 2 hours on actually copying it.

About high school, I hate the amount of time it takes up. Even if the hours were more flexible, I think I'd enjoy it infinitely more. See, I'm a night person, and I'd prefer to work at night than during the day, so if I could do my schoolwork then, and not have to wake up early to get to classes, I think I'd do a lot better.

These two. So much. I hate having to wake up a six am so that I can spend 9 hours listening to my teachers repeat themselves endlessly. My math class for last week? 5 40-minute classes. More than THREE HOURS of work that could have been summed up in 20 minutes.

And every single day my teacher assigns homework. Mindless, repetitive, tedious homework from the book, which I never bring home and then never do, because I'm not wasting my time on it, and they're only worth 1 point anyway. Half the time she only comes around to check and see if we have something that looks vaguely like the homework on a sheet of paper.

Contrast my physics teacher: Aside from the labs we have to do in all our science courses, she almost never gives us homework, but when she does, it's worth nearly as much as a quiz or a lab, you have to show all your work, she always collects it and grades it, and she KNOWS if you copy it.

Guess which class has more people get their homework done and done correctly. It's not a hard concept, but apparently teachers just love busywork . . .

Anuan
2009-05-21, 06:55 AM
I know the school run by the American Embassy has way to much "drama" and kids spending more time getting stoned than actually studying (because a few years ago one of my friends went there. Then during a sleepover explained to me how many times he got drunk at parties for absolutely no reason).

Every highschool ever have these problems.
Sucks.

thubby
2009-05-21, 07:24 AM
oh jeez i totally forgot about the tedious homework. my old high school favored homework so all the teachers gave it, and 90% of it was mindless.
what ended up happening was the class ahead of us started to put the answers to all the recycled homework on the web.
what wasn't on the web would be divvied up between everyone that sat at our table.

congratz all you wonderful policy makers, you taught us how to cheat (we already knew how to network :smalltongue:)

DigoDragon
2009-05-21, 07:31 AM
What I didn't like about my highschool was how immature the majority of the guys were. Maybe potty jokes were funny as a Freshman, but you'd think by their senior year these guys would be able to get their life in order and prepare for college/armed forces/jobs/etc. Instead-- More potty jokes!

Ugh.

What I did like about highschool was my circle of friends I hung out with. Every day during lunch period we hang out and someone of us even had the same PE class so we'd see eachother twice. Ever watch the movie "The Breakfast Club"? It was like that... except a little less detention and balogna. :smallsmile:

Mauve Shirt
2009-05-21, 07:55 AM
I hated the competition, I don't thrive in a competitive environment. I hated the fact that every teacher had a favorite student and I was never one of them. I hated the blatant racism of the teachers in my freshman year, but that wasn't a consistent problem. I hated that the art department destroyed the best and oldest club in the school (art services, a group that performed arty tasks for clubs and teachers, like papering bulletin boards and making signs, no talent really required but certainly appreciated) so that the new art teacher could create a club of her favorite and most talented students. I wasn't one of them, so I couldn't join.
I liked a few of my classes. The history classes were usually fun, and world religions was great.

toasty
2009-05-21, 07:55 AM
What I didn't like about my highschool was how immature the majority of the guys were. Maybe potty jokes were funny as a Freshman, but you'd think by their senior year these guys would be able to get their life in order and prepare for college/armed forces/jobs/etc. Instead-- More potty jokes!

I know two guys that are seriously dating and will probably get married in a few years. They still tell pooty jokes. :smalltongue:

Actually, I don't think guys really ever change in that one regard. Maybe openly they might act more mature, but inside they are all still wacky 14 year olds.

Every highschool ever have these problems.
Sucks.

Well, I'm glad I don't go to highschool.

Also, I don't have mindless homework! W00t! The most homework heavy classes (Latin and Math) have lots of it, yes, but seeing as I find all of it rather challenging and useful, its not mindless in the least.

GoC
2009-05-21, 08:40 AM
I know two guys that are seriously dating and will probably get married in a few years. They still tell pooty jokes. :smalltongue:

Actually, I don't think guys really ever change in that one regard. Maybe openly they might act more mature, but inside they are all still wacky 14 year olds.

I never thought pooty jokes were funny.:smallconfused:
Inside I want freedom from the social rules and restrictions.

Berserk Monk
2009-05-21, 08:54 AM

High school? Foolish high school student, I go to (an art) college, and as everybody knows, a college is just high school except no parents so it's easier to break the law and have premarital sex...you should probably go ahead and forget that last part.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-05-21, 08:58 AM
and as everybody knows, a college is just high school

Oh son of an expletive.

smartidiot
2009-05-21, 10:13 AM
my classes
Seminar: I goof off on the computer unless I have some important work

Business Management: I do the work most of the time, it's usualy not boring or mindless

Physics 3: one of my favorite classes, we do lots of big projects involving building structures like bridges(mine held the 3rd most weight) or boats(racing them tommorow)

web page design: I never do the work in this class, My friend posts all the assignments on the network drive. This class sucks all creativity out of making web pages. it's just vomiting what the book tells you too onto the computer screen, we don't even learn HTML we use dream weaver.

lunch: fun untill the hall monitor caught my table flicking caps at another table across the lunch room, it's not as much fun without that.

functions statistics and trig: it would be a good class, moving at a good pace with not much busy work, except that my whole class is so freaking stupid. If they don't do the work then they get so lost, and it's busy work to me because I get it after I do 1 or 2 problems on my own. They don't even know how to think, there was one problem on a test that all you had to do was think about it for 30 seconds and you could get it, most people got it wrong and complained because "he never taught it to us". That's only partialy true, he shouldn't have needed to teach it to us, they should have just thought about it for 30 freaking seconds.

English: not a bad class, the teacher doesn't have us writing essays all the time, and he's very energetic

Ancient World History: tied with Physics for my favorite class this semester, the teacher is highly opposed to how the school is run, he constantly rants about how if it were up to him he would burn all the desks "because they put your mind in a box" and replace them with camping chairs and clipboards. he only gives tests because he has to and what he grades most heavily on is what you learned from the material and how it affected your view of the world "don't just write a laundry list of factoids".

RS14
2009-05-21, 11:09 AM
My fellow classmates were never terrible to me personally. I avoided most such drama. But I also wasn't very social.

My classes were good. My history and english classes were interesting and well taught, even though I didn't care for either subject. Physics was slow and dull. My math classes and teachers were awesome, and they got me involved in math competitions, for which I am thankful.

Helanna
2009-05-21, 12:33 PM
Did I mention how much I hate the constant sitting? Really. Classes are forty-two minutes long. In between each class there's a four-minute break to go get stuff from your locker or whatever, plus a thirteen minute break in between third and fourth period. Aside from that and gym class (only every other day at my school), it's all just sitting down.

No wonder child obesity is such a problem in America. It's not just fast food. It's the fact that about 9+ hours a day are spent sitting down in a classroom, and by the time you get home, you're completely exhausted (because you have to get up so freakin' early for reasons that nobody really knows (no, I don't care about daylight hours. I care about SLEEP)), and you've just spent the day doing useless work so you're feeling lazy, and you've only got a few hours until you go to bed ANYWAY, plus you've probably got a couple hours of homework . . . who has time to go out and do anything after that?

Lost Demiurge
2009-05-21, 12:34 PM
I'm well past high school, but I remember it pretty well.

I hated the fact that I was trapped for most of the year in a relatively small building with several hundred people I had no choice but to spend 8 hours a day hanging around. And I know that consciously or subconsciously, many of my peers hated it too. THAT'S the main reason why high school is hell for some students.

I hated that most homework was time-consuming busywork.

I hated the fact that I was smarter than most of my peers, but stupid enough to let it show, and thus earned contempt and scorn for my arrogance.

I hated the fact that enough of them were evil little ****ers, who'd go out of their way to make me miserable for no other reason than they got off on it.

I hated the fact that I was low man on the social totem pole, and any evil ****er who felt like it could pick on me with no risk of reprisal.

I hated the fact that due to said evil little ****ers, anyone that I tried to date or even showed interest in would get tormented just for associating with me. So I spent high school celibate and lonely.

What I liked?

I liked the small circle of friends that I had. Most of 'em were also down low in the pecking order too, but that was fine if you didn't care about the pecking order.

I liked some of my teachers, who were damn good and dedicated.

I liked that even though I went through social hell, I was never at serious physical risk.

Most of all, I liked the one idea that gave me hope. That once I got out of high school, then the world would turn out to work the way I thought it would, rather than the way everyone else in high school thought it would. I realized that if I was patient, all the suffering would be worth it. That my hours of study and work for grades would pay off, and one day result in a good job, a healthy life, and an end to my loneliness.

And you know? I was right. Once you get out of high school and into college, the evil ****ers start diminishing. Once you're choosing and paying for classes yourself, (or putting up with parents who expect results for their money), people have less time to ease their boredom by picking on the runt.

And once you're in college, you have enough ways to avoid people that you don't like, that it eases the pressure on EVERYONE.

So, if right now you are like I was back then... Despised, anti-social, poor with people skills, and suffering because of it, then relax. As long as you have patience, things WILL change. Keep working hard, stay out of major trouble, and keep your head down. If you have friends, do your best to treat'em good and don't ask them for much. If you can date, good. Don't get pregnant or get a girl pregnant, or life will be harder for both of you in the short AND the long-term. Don't murder anyone, tempting as it is. Don't resort to physical violence. A: It gets noted and remembered. B: Payback's a bitch, and there's always someone tougher than you. Skip drugs if you can, there's too much risk of addiction or getting arrested. Avoid anything that would f*** up your life later on!

Have faith, endure all hardships, and it will end. And that's the best thing I liked about high school. :D

DamnedIrishman
2009-05-21, 12:36 PM
So many people i know say they hate all the drama in high school, which kinda pisses me off.

I hate all the drama in high school. Stop building new gyms, music rooms and drama facilities and put the investment into the arts, damn it!

Same goes for "technology suites" and their various bastard offspring. Better facilities for the english department!

Raider
2009-05-21, 12:56 PM
Just now completing Freshman year. My only good experience was our band program. Otherwise it was just a bunch of idiotic kids with drama i couldn't relate to. The teachers have no passion and their actual teaching follows the exact guidelines the standardized tests put out.

English-Grades in our poetry unit based on creativity...Wtf!

Math-Teacher spoke in monotone voice and wouldn't allow us to leave our seats for the entire hour and a half block. Pure hell

French-Workbook

Gym-Walk the track

etc etc

Mindless assembly line education

GoC
2009-05-21, 01:36 PM
Don't resort to physical violence. A: It gets noted and remembered. B: Payback's a bitch, and there's always someone tougher than you.

Not always true. I've been to school twice (ish, three if you count preschool). The first time I went there was noone tougher than me who could actually start a fight.
Needless to say they made up for it by excluding me from everything.:smallsigh:

TheThan
2009-05-21, 04:11 PM
I went to an Ag school. So I had to put up with hicks. Hicks are just like jocks, only even more stupid and less popular. Now I donít mind agriculture, I even donít mind people who aim for a career in that field (no pun intended). But hicks are terrible, just take a general jock jerkass, double the idiocy factor and give him some tobacco, jeans that are too tight and a cowboy hat and youíll have a hick.

In my school Ag had a rep for it being an easy A. Only you had to take three years of it, as opposed to 2 years of normal science. So I ended up with most of my high school class taking Ag. Funnily enough, they hired two new Ag teachers my freshman year, so all those people that signed up for the Ag courses got a rude awakening. They got loaded down with paperwork, had to actually work on the farm (the school had a farm ran by the students), then there was ROTC and FFA stuff that was almost required to do for good grades.

So I took the two-year science course, and laughed as I ended up with two free classes my junior and senior years, to do what I wished to do. The science class wasnít too hard, just uninteresting. Which was my main problem in high school, very few classes interested me enough to actually do good in. So I skirted by with mediocre grades. Then the few classes that I was interested in couldnít teach me things I didnít know, or wouldnít teach the stuff I was interested in.

As far as the social aspects go, well its been 8 years since I graduated high school, and the friends I made then are still my friends today. So make what you will of that.

Lost Demiurge
2009-05-21, 04:35 PM
Not always true. I've been to school twice (ish, three if you count preschool). The first time I went there was noone tougher than me who could actually start a fight.
Needless to say they made up for it by excluding me from everything.:smallsigh:

You're correct. It varies by your school, and it's not always true.

But when the guy brings two or three of his buddies along, then you're screwed. Or jumps you from behind.

Reminds me when the biggest bully in our school went to a run-down bar, got drunk, and tried to hit on a biker's girlfriend. The bully's "friend" hid under a car, while the biker's buddies took him down. The curbstomping was brutal, and meant he'd spend the rest of his life with a rod holding his spine in place.

Being the biggest, meanest, and burliest in the limited environment of your high school, doesn't mean much to the average Hell's angel...

GoC
2009-05-21, 04:47 PM
You're correct. It varies by your school, and it's not always true.

But when the guy brings two or three of his buddies along, then you're screwed. Or jumps you from behind.
Well jumping from behind is not really a problem as noone can sneak up on you that easily in a non-public place.
If it's three vs. 1 then you've got three options:
1. Run.:smalleek:
2. Use the "I may go down but one of you is going down with me. So... who'll it be?" approach.
3. If 2 fails then pick one and try your hardest to kill him (you must keep hold of him because if his friends pull you off then prepare for the beating of a lifetime). A vicous nature, no fear and a total disregard for human life are required. Humans are naturally scared of crazy people.:smallbiggrin:

Being the biggest, meanest, and burliest in the limited environment of your high school, doesn't mean much to the average Hell's angel...
Yeah.

Canadian
2009-05-21, 05:01 PM

So many people i know say they hate all the drama in high school, which kinda pisses me off.

Get used to it. People are going to be complaining about drama long after high school is over. In fact forever. That's just people for you.

KilltheToy
2009-05-21, 05:01 PM
Ancient World History: tied with Physics for my favorite class this semester, the teacher is highly opposed to how the school is run, he constantly rants about how if it were up to him he would burn all the desks "because they put your mind in a box" and replace them with camping chairs and clipboards. he only gives tests because he has to and what he grades most heavily on is what you learned from the material and how it affected your view of the world "don't just write a laundry list of factoids".

I'd like to borrow your teacher for a week.

web page design: I never do the work in this class, My friend posts all the assignments on the network drive. This class sucks all creativity out of making web pages. it's just vomiting what the book tells you too onto the computer screen, we don't even learn HTML we use dream weaver.

Huh. We learned how to write HTML in notepad before moving on to Dreamweaver.

I don't do the work either. I surf TVTropes and play various flash games. Got my friend addicted to TvTropes because of that class.

Did I mention how much I hate the constant sitting? Really. Classes are forty-two minutes long. In between each class there's a four-minute break to go get stuff from your locker or whatever, plus a thirteen minute break in between third and fourth period. Aside from that and gym class (only every other day at my school), it's all just sitting down.

No wonder child obesity is such a problem in America. It's not just fast food. It's the fact that about 9+ hours a day are spent sitting down in a classroom, and by the time you get home, you're completely exhausted (because you have to get up so freakin' early for reasons that nobody really knows (no, I don't care about daylight hours. I care about SLEEP)), and you've just spent the day doing useless work so you're feeling lazy, and you've only got a few hours until you go to bed ANYWAY, plus you've probably got a couple hours of homework . . . who has time to go out and do anything after that?

My school starts at 7:30 and ends at 2:45. I usually wait till after dinner to do homework, so I can get some freetime and do things like post on the GITP forums :smallwink:.

But yeah, my day consists of 45 minutes (90 minutes-2 hours on Wendsdays and Thursdays) of sitting and a few minutes of walking to my next class.

However, on Thursdays we don't have to be at school till about 9:00. I likes the Thursdays. Usually :smallsigh:.

Same here in Tejas. Everything up till April is either for Midterm or TAKS (the standardized test we take every year from 3rd grade on up), and then a few weeks later its Finals. Good times.

Tequila Sunrise
2009-05-21, 05:22 PM
I hated how my teachers were forced to be prison guards for all the juvenile delinquents. If it weren't for them, I could have learned everything in half the time. If a kid doesn't want to learn, s/he shouldn't be forced to stay in school. Let them leave, or kick them out. Then let them back in after they've worked at MacDonald's for a year, and are ready to buckle down and earn their diploma.

GoC
2009-05-21, 05:26 PM
They'd just become criminals and a burden on society.

Tequila Sunrise
2009-05-21, 07:33 PM
That's what they are already.

loopy
2009-05-21, 08:03 PM
Not at all: The Parties have less make-outs and more Guitar Hero...and a lot of Vodka instead of Beer.

Maybe *your* parties. :smallbiggrin:

Haha. Nah, high school treated me horribly. Left it a shy, stuttering, isolated computer geek. Luckily through continued effort I managed to change myself into the social, extroverted, less-outwardly-bitter, manipulative, player-ish bastard you now see before you. :smallcool:

Made more difficult by the fact that due to some difficulties I was having with my hands at the time, I had to use a laptop to write. I was the only person in my school to need such a device, and my classmates and teachers both hassled me horribly about it. :smallfrown:

Kjata
2009-05-22, 12:24 AM
Self-taugh:

Is highschool at all like what's shown on TV?

No... we don't sing, we don't have really bad cliques, people can get high without getting arrested or crashing their car into a tree or something else horrible.

I think you go to the wrong parties... I haven't played guitar hero at a party since... start of sophomore here? And all I (used to) drink was beer, but I was tired of hearing of what shenanigans I got into last night, so I quit getting drunk.

High school? Foolish high school student, I go to (an art) college, and as everybody knows, a college is just high school except no parents so it's easier to break the law and have premarital sex...you should probably go ahead and forget that last part.

True, its easier to break the law, but when you do you can actually go to jail for it. I want to stay 17 forever haha...

I hated the fact that I was smarter than most of my peers, but stupid enough to let it show, and thus earned contempt and scorn for my arrogance.

I'm fairly sure that it wasn't that you were smarter... everybody I hang out with knows I'm a huge nerd, but I used to play the nerd on a tv sitcom. I would be goofy and kinda wierd when the situation was acceptable, and try to get laughs from it. I think that was the most effective way to keep from being made fun of, like back in middle school...

TFT
2009-05-22, 01:03 AM
My High School experience... different than most. I have about 100 students in the school, and I could probably name everyone. It kind of takes away from the popularity notion, which I love(it being gone of course). It does add to the drama a lot though... Now onto the things I hate about my school:

A lot of the students... Idiots. Retards. Insert your favorite insult here. These underclassmen(and even some upperclassmen) are so bad that they find a target(Recently, a kid with mental problems :smallfrown:) and basically use him as their joke for a looooong time. I wouldn't mind this, some people just need to learn to A. Not be stupid or B. grow a pair and stand up for themselves, but if your targets are kids with mental problems, the "Youngest", maturity or actionwise, or people that are just a little different... Theres no reason for it. You can just ignore them instead of even getting them to the point of leaving the school.(This has happened 2-3 times)

I also had problems with many of the other kids in my school. I found that they were all... I don't know how to describe it. Cocky, or full of themselves, self absorbed maybe? Thats not what I'm going for exactly, but I thought them to all be clicky. To an extent thats true, but I have also realized that I am part of the problem. I went with a "Hey, they're gonna hate me anyway" idea, which I am sure a lot of people do, but I have found that that just screws you over more, like with about a year and a half of my school life. Treat them as equals, give 'em a chance, and sometimes you find things are different than you think...

(Social parts really do make up a large part of school, IMO. It can make your life worse or better, which is why I focused on it a lot.)

Well, enough about students... my classes:

I have to say, I dislike my math teacher. He is a decent chemistry teacher, but he had to pick up math halfway through the year because the math teacher quit(One of the best teachers at the school, kept the grades of a lot of my struggling friends up through her teaching). It was bad enough that 2-3people quit, a lot of the students grades dropped, and its just not as good as it used to be. My grammer and lit classes depend on the year, some teachers are great, some... not so much. I have to say, the best teacher is my history teacher. He's opinionated about politics(Conservative Christian views, if your wondering), but doesn't mind a good debate or disagreement(I find myself a moderate, and we have disagreed on things with good debate). He is very laid back too.

I also hate the focus on exams... One of my teachers had all his grades be quizes and tests... doesn't help the grades too much for some. Not only that, but bad test takers get screwed on it. You can work as hard as you want, but if you just can't perform on tests your not going to get the grade, even if you know the material.

Ok, I should probably end on a positive: The teachers really do care about your learning at my school. As long as your willing to put effort in, most teachers will try to help you, and if not a lot of students are willing to help. It is the one thing my school has going for it.

That turned out a lot... A LOT... longer than I thought it would, so I'm gonna spoiler it.

Nychta
2009-05-22, 01:17 AM
I love highschool. It is awesome.

I'm grateful that we don't do NCEA, and that the teachers don't gear their teaching entirely to pass the CIE exams. I dislike NCEA.

Also, the people are very cool! The teachers are intelligent, which is nice. And the only thing my high school is very strict on is being late. If you are late you are excluded from class. Everything else is pretty much "don't do anything that pisses anyone off, okay?"

Kjata
2009-05-22, 01:30 AM
If you are late you are excluded from class. Everything else is pretty much "don't do anything that pisses anyone off, okay?"

Wow... harsh. I'm late for first, second, and sixth daily just about.

Nychta
2009-05-22, 01:33 AM
Wow... harsh. I'm late for first, second, and sixth daily just about.

Especially difficult because we're allowed out whenever we don't have a class. There are many mad dashes from shopping and lunch to class. If only buses worked properly!

At least we get to spend a lot of time in parks and gardens.

Torchship
2009-05-22, 06:52 AM
Am I the only person here who actually enjoyed highschool? Okay, 8 and 9 were mindless busywork, but everything after that was great. The teachers were almost universally animated and enjoyed their work. Everyone in my grade was at least mildly intelligent, and generally quite nice; there wasn't anyone I disliked. There wasn't any bullying or social rejection for my cabal of nerdy friends and I. The work was interesting and the homework minimal.

Most of the stories I've read sound like they come straight out of some bad teenage drama. I didn't think places like that even existed until I read this thread. I shall now forever be thankful that I won the highschool equivalent of the lottery.

GoC
2009-05-22, 06:58 AM
B. grow a pair and stand up for themselves
And how exactly would they do that?:smallconfused:

Vizen
2009-05-22, 07:14 AM
I'm grateful that we don't do NCEA

Wait what? Your school DOESN'T do NCEA?
Aww man, I wish I went to your school. :smallfrown:

Well...Not anymore, I finished school. :smallbiggrin: Huzzah!

Phae Nymna
2009-05-22, 07:40 AM
You all have thoroughly terrified me. I'm not sure I'm going to survive the ninth grade now... :smallconfused:

smartidiot
2009-05-22, 08:02 AM
My school isn't that bad, there are a couple of pricks, but they are easy to avoid, and the classes that have busy work it's easy to get the answers from a friend. The worst is when people are stupid and so the teacher has to cover somthing I got the first time three or four more times.

SilentNight
2009-05-22, 08:45 AM
Does he by any chance have a nose ring? Because that sounds frighteningly/awesomely similar to my sixth grade history teacher who left.

Anyway, what I hate about high school is mainly as mentioned above the menial busy-work, particularly in my math classes. I also hate the administration and the incredibly poor school district, made worse by the economy. Also, there are just some teachers who should never have been hired. Like so bad you wonder how they even graduated college. Oh, and is a decent band program too much to ask? One last thing, the college board. Between requirements that cause everybody to take the hardest classes they can to even stand a chance of being accepted and the damned AP test scam, it's really something we could do without.

Apart from that however, I actually quite like a lot more things about high school than I hate. Firstly, there's a decent percentage of good teachers, most of whom are pretty cool and very realistic. Secondly, and probably what I like best, no offense to you home-schoolers, is the people. High school is one of the few points in your life where you will be surrounded by a large group of people very different than you, which I find to be a very good thing. You meet people you would never meet otherwise, learn new things, form friendships, relationships, etc. Of course as Lost Demiurge pointed out, with such a large group of people there are bound to be a decent amount of evil ****ers, but it's best to put them aside and focus on the good parts. Finally, just the general atmosphere. There's so many places to go, so many people to meet and be. I personally feel that high school has made me a very different and hopefully better person than I otherwise would have been.

mces0421
2009-05-22, 08:55 AM
I think about a boring high school life. I have few real friends. I don't go out with them. After finishing in class I went to the library to get some books. :smallwink:

smartidiot
2009-05-22, 09:43 AM
Does he by any chance have a nose ring? Because that sounds frighteningly/awesomely similar to my sixth grade history teacher who left.

he doesn't have a nose ring, but he did use to teach middle school history

Krytha
2009-05-22, 10:59 AM
Am I the only person here who actually enjoyed highschool? Okay, 8 and 9 were mindless busywork, but everything after that was great. The teachers were almost universally animated and enjoyed their work. Everyone in my grade was at least mildly intelligent, and generally quite nice; there wasn't anyone I disliked. There wasn't any bullying or social rejection for my cabal of nerdy friends and I. The work was interesting and the homework minimal.

Most of the stories I've read sound like they come straight out of some bad teenage drama. I didn't think places like that even existed until I read this thread. I shall now forever be thankful that I won the highschool equivalent of the lottery.

No, I miss highschool too. It wasn't a parade of glory, but I had a good time overall.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-05-22, 11:51 AM
And how exactly would they do that?:smallconfused:
Assertiveness training. If you can't afford a therapist, you can go buy a self-help book.

20 bucks is a small price to pay for a chance at a normal life.

Good ones will teach you that you need to stand up for yourself long before it ever gets to a fight. Talking back during namecalling is a good place to start... Even something as simple as "no, YOU go *bleep* yourself" will go a long way towards first stopping you from being an easy target and later giving you self-confidence you need in life.

Good books will also tell you how to do that and not look like you're going to faint. And how to get courage to do so in the first place.

Kjata
2009-05-22, 03:32 PM

I love high school... I started with a negative, but everything has been positive since.

Dragonrider
2009-05-22, 03:46 PM
....I never went to high school. :smallbiggrin:

So I don't know what I'm doing in this thread.

GoC
2009-05-22, 03:46 PM
....I never went to high school. :smallbiggrin:

So I don't know what I'm doing in this thread.

Self-taught or homeschooled?:smallbiggrin:

Dragonrider
2009-05-22, 03:51 PM
Self-taught or homeschooled?:smallbiggrin:

Both! :smallbiggrin: Unschooled, in other words...but then in tenth grade I started taking some community college classes (for math). Technically speaking I graduate from high school next month, but in actuality I've already got one year of college.

GoC
2009-05-22, 04:42 PM
Both! :smallbiggrin: Unschooled, in other words...but then in tenth grade I started taking some community college classes (for math). Technically speaking I graduate from high school next month, but in actuality I've already got one year of college.

Speaking of which what do you think of the standard criticisms?
To quote wikipedia: "lack the social skills, structure, and motivation of their peers"
I'd have to say it seems accurate. Do the benefits outweigh the costs?

Krytha
2009-05-22, 08:17 PM
Speaking of which what do you think of the standard criticisms?
To quote wikipedia: "lack the social skills, structure, and motivation of their peers"
I'd have to say it seems accurate. Do the benefits outweigh the costs?

What costs? My highschool was free..

GoC
2009-05-22, 08:23 PM
What costs? My highschool was free..

I meant "Do the benefits of unschooling outweigh the costs?".

Kjata
2009-05-23, 04:49 PM
I meant "Do the benefits of unschooling outweigh the costs?".

It all depends on what you want in life. If you want to study, high school is not the place. I don't really study. But if you want to have fun... ya. Highschool.

Nychta
2009-05-23, 11:46 PM
Wait what? Your school DOESN'T do NCEA?
Aww man, I wish I went to your school. :smallfrown:

Well...Not anymore, I finished school. :smallbiggrin: Huzzah!
It doesn't do NCEA at all, though there are plenty of schools which offer an alternative. I know public schools have to offer NCEA, but a lot of them channel their brightest students into IB or CIE.

Turn back time and avoid the catastrophe.

I am really getting the feel that my high school is more of university prep than high school.

Recaiden
2009-05-23, 11:56 PM
It doesn't do NCEA at all, though there are plenty of schools which offer an alternative. I know public schools have to offer NCEA, but a lot of them channel their brightest students into IB or CIE.

I don't think that they do here. Today was the first that I heard of it. We do have IB.

Knaight
2009-05-24, 12:18 AM
IB is pretty common, although as an IB student I have a few things to say about the hoops you have to jump through.

IB Personal Project is the single biggest waste of time you can ever have, it basically consists of forcing somebody to do a creative project, then taking away from what they can do and adding various written pieces and meetings. If you were planning on starting a creative project before doing the Personal Project, for god's sake don't try and use it as the Personal Project. It will kill the quality.

Then there is the IB propoganda, from the higher parts of the organization. At a local level most of the teachers are nice, as with pretty much all the students, one of the big benefits of IB is that you spend a lot less time dealing with morons and close minded people. However, the people at the top have apparently not only managed to convince themselves that grades are an objective measure of intelligence, they also view themselves as an ideal source of morals, with a solemn duty to impart their morals in every student in IB. Which includes such wonderful stuff as the concept that if you have higher grades than somebody you are better than them.

Then there is the homework, which involves a lot of busy work, while the IB propaganda claims every bit of it is useful. Chief among this is everything related to evaluating yourself against the qualities of the IB student, also known as checking how well you have been brainwashed so far. The organization itself is a bunch of crooks, and unfortunately there are people who buy into it. On a local level, most of the IB teachers are nicer and better qualified than non IB teachers (the stuff I've overheared being taught in Government...), and there are way fewer students which end up being judgmental morons.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-05-24, 12:48 AM
Highschool? Nah man, you definitely want to stay as far away from that stuff as possible. Remember that you can find loneliness in a high school, but never solitude. Least not if it's anything like my experiences :smallsigh:

I'm currently at what Australians correctly refer to as College, as the stage between High School and University it's better but not perfect. Dropping out is the most attractive option, but I don't care anywhere near enough.

So I guess I'm pretty firmly in the negative perspective. Four years of crushing depression will do that to you.

Trizap
2009-05-24, 12:49 AM
its too easy. I'm bored without a challenge every time I go there.

toasty
2009-05-24, 02:16 AM

As a homeschooler, lemme answer that:

First off, I'm introverted by nature, so I probably wouldn't hang out with a lot of people that much anyways. But basically, because my schedule doesn't mesh with my friends (many of which are older than me and all of which are doing the British system of GSCE and A Level) I basically only see them on the weekends.

That being said, I have a lot of friends. Between my church and youth group and my gaming friends (low speed internet = Game Cafes = much fun. :smallbiggrin:) I see about 20-30 people every week. I have pretty good group of "close friends" (3-5 people who I've known for several years) that I trust a lot and really love as friends.

I get all the social interaction I need, and while I haven't had to put up with some complete a-hole who just doesn't get it yet, hopefully I'll be mature enough to deal with someone like that when they come around.

Another thing many people forget today is the internet. I have friends who live all over the world. Japan, China, Korea, Chicago, Canada, East Coast, Cambodia, India, Australia, etc. I talk to them all the time and even though I don't see them I don't feel like I'm missing out on what's up in their life. Yes, many of these relationships can't get very deep without actual face-to-face meetings but I've meet some very interesting and very intelligent people thanks to Facebook and various online forums.

As for structure and movitation? What the hell does that mean? I make my own friggin schedule and if I fail (yes I do get grades) a class or a test its my fault, and furthermore, my mom is rather strict and will quickly take away my computer or ban me from gaming or something. Movitation? Does the word COLLEGE ring a bell? I want to get into college and I do want to succeed in life. I need to do at least decently well in highschool in order to succeed in life. At the very least I need to get enough information out of my classes to do well on the SAT/ACT (which, btw, I've pretty decently at).

So anyone who says homeschoolers are social rejects... well, they're wrong.

Plus, you generally get a better education. ;)

Nychta
2009-05-24, 03:52 AM
I don't think that they do here. Today was the first that I heard of it. We do have IB.
NCEA is a Kiwi thing, silly. :smallbiggrin:

Ninja Chocobo
2009-05-24, 04:55 AM
I'm currently at what Australians correctly refer to as College, as the stage between High School and University it's better but not perfect. Dropping out is the most attractive option, but I don't care anywhere near enough.

Er, what?
I was under the impression Australian "College" meant "Tertiary education which is not University", such as TAFE and similar.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-05-24, 05:41 AM
Er, what?
I was under the impression Australian "College" meant "Tertiary education which is not University", such as TAFE and similar.

Years 11+12 = College

Rawhide
2009-05-24, 06:02 AM
Years 11+12 = College

First I've ever heard of that. In Queensland it is like this:
Years 1-7: Primary School
Years 8-12: High School (Secondary)
After that: Tertiary - including Vocational Education Training (VET, such as TAFE) and Higher Education (such as Universities)

Goldwing
2009-05-24, 04:16 PM
The hate: All of the unavoidable drama that involved my friends. The vast majority of my classmates who seem to only want to talk about sex, parties, sex, drugs, sex, alcohol, sex, gossip, sex, and sex. The fact that by being interested in gaining knowledge, uninterested in sports/sex/parties/drugs, and a bit introverted by nature means that I am irrideemably damned to the freak bin. That my dislike of rebellion against the 'machine' just for rebellions' sake means I'm stupid/gay/crazy. The hypocrisy of this 'rebellion' that rejects anything truly different from the norm, such as alternative sexualities and religions and musical tastes and art preferences. All the danged busywork. Inept administrators who don't seem to understand that I'm not supposed to be in Drafting 3 when I never even took Beginning Drafting. Counselors who think that my being intelligent means that grades less than perfect equals something wrong with my personal life. Teachers who don't get that teenagers don't exactly put school at the top of their priorities, and tell us that *they* were never as stupid/vain/selfish/rude/sex-obsessed as us. People who equate teenage male with sex-obsessed lazy hyperactive moron. All the dang sex-obsessed lazy hyperactive morons I had to deal with in gym class.

The love:...Cheeseybread. And that one awesome teacher that always made his lectures funny and relevant to our interests and connected to the present, who was really more of a buddy than a teacher and always seemed to understand that we were teenagers, not just miniature middle-aged folks. A very short graduation ceremony, where nobody did any stupid crap and we all got to go home before dark.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-05-24, 11:37 PM
First I've ever heard of that. In Queensland it is like this:
Years 1-7: Primary School
Years 8-12: High School (Secondary)
After that: Tertiary - including Vocational Education Training (VET, such as TAFE) and Higher Education (such as Universities)

Ah yes, the Queensland system.

ACT > Rest so it's what I use as the Australian Educational Yardstick

Pre-school
Kindie-6: Primary School
7-10: High School
11-12: College
Tertiary/Work/Etc.

EDIT: A number of Private Schools offer 7-12 or even Pre-School to 12 but as they're private schools the package comes with decreased educational value, social skills and minus general thumbs up awesome.

toasty
2009-05-25, 04:40 AM
but as they're private schools the package comes with decreased educational value, social skills and general thumbs up awesome.

Wait, in Australia private schools are worse the government run schools? :smallconfused: Because its the other way around in the US (where public schools can be rather... bad) and here in Bangladesh (where anything with the word government or national in front of it usually means its corrupt, inefficient and generally not very good).

Anuan
2009-05-25, 04:55 AM
The hate: All of the unavoidable drama that involved my friends. The vast majority of my classmates who seem to only want to talk about sex, parties, sex, drugs, sex, alcohol, sex, gossip, sex, and sex. The fact that by being interested in gaining knowledge, uninterested in sports/sex/parties/drugs, and a bit introverted by nature means that I am irrideemably damned to the freak bin. That my dislike of rebellion against the 'machine' just for rebellions' sake means I'm stupid/gay/crazy. The hypocrisy of this 'rebellion' that rejects anything truly different from the norm, such as alternative sexualities and religions and musical tastes and art preferences. All the danged busywork. Inept administrators who don't seem to understand that I'm not supposed to be in Drafting 3 when I never even took Beginning Drafting. Counselors who think that my being intelligent means that grades less than perfect equals something wrong with my personal life. Teachers who don't get that teenagers don't exactly put school at the top of their priorities, and tell us that *they* were never as stupid/vain/selfish/rude/sex-obsessed as us. People who equate teenage male with sex-obsessed lazy hyperactive moron. All the dang sex-obsessed lazy hyperactive morons I had to deal with in gym class.

The love:...Cheeseybread. And that one awesome teacher that always made his lectures funny and relevant to our interests and connected to the present, who was really more of a buddy than a teacher and always seemed to understand that we were teenagers, not just miniature middle-aged folks.

All of this is relevant to my feelings on the matter.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-05-25, 06:21 AM
Wait, in Australia private schools are worse the government run schools? :smallconfused: Because its the other way around in the US (where public schools can be rather... bad) and here in Bangladesh (where anything with the word government or national in front of it usually means its corrupt, inefficient and generally not very good).

Much, much worse. I'm not saying that it's going to be universal etc etc but over here Public Schools are definitely the way to go. Weird part is our governments are useless, but their schools are much better (I've been in both systems, truuuust me).

Elm11
2009-05-25, 07:19 AM
I'm well past high school, but I remember it pretty well.

I hated the fact that I was trapped for most of the year in a relatively small building with several hundred people I had no choice but to spend 8 hours a day hanging around. And I know that consciously or subconsciously, many of my peers hated it too. THAT'S the main reason why high school is hell for some students.

I hated that most homework was time-consuming busywork.

I hated the fact that enough of them were evil little ****ers, who'd go out of their way to make me miserable for no other reason than they got off on it.

I hated the fact that I was low man on the social totem pole, and any evil ****er who felt like it could pick on me with no risk of reprisal.

I hated the fact that due to said evil little ****ers, anyone that I tried to date or even showed interest in would get tormented just for associating with me. So I spent high school celibate and lonely.

What I liked?

I liked the small circle of friends that I had. Most of 'em were also down low in the pecking order too, but that was fine if you didn't care about the pecking order.

I liked some of my teachers, who were damn good and dedicated.

I liked that even though I went through social hell, I was never at serious physical risk.

Well... i was going to write my own thing, but you have basically summed up how i am going through highschool right now.

Going into year seven, i was two years younger than everyone else in the year, and a hell of alot smarter than most of them, especially around history maths, drama and music. however, i decided that this meant i could assume a *holier than thou* attitude, which ended very poorly by the end of first semester. As it turned out, there were a hell of alot of rather brutish people in my year, who didn't take well to some fat little glasses wearing runt turning his nose up at them, paying attention in class, and actually doing his homework. So i became a complete social outcast, with only two or three decent friends, and plagued by the so called "cool group". Basically, by the end of third term, i had dropped my arrogance, and tried to recede into the background, hang out alone with a book in the library, thing like that. Unfortuantely, it was much too late for any of that, and so until year 9, which i'm in right now, i'm still the favoured target for some of the larger "cool groups" in the year. not that i wouldn't be anyway.

Guess first impressions really do count for something...

Ninja Chocobo
2009-05-25, 07:23 AM
Much, much worse. I'm not saying that it's going to be universal etc etc but over here Public Schools are definitely the way to go. Weird part is our governments are useless, but their schools are much better (I've been in both systems, truuuust me).

In terms of the HSC, private schools seem to do almost universally better than public schools. Last I checked, anyway.

Elm11
2009-05-25, 07:42 AM

Seeing as we both live in the ACT and both know eachother, i must say i'm surprised to see you write seomthing like that. I'm guessing you got rather sick of the school you were at, which is why you moved to your new college place? gonig to the A.C.Ts best (matter of opinion) private school, and knowing the statistics of H.S.Cs across NSW and the ACT, private schools produce by far better results, a good 40 something %. That said, i can see why you would care to much =P, and you're most definately right on the fact that private high school is boring me out of my mind, and i'm drowning in busywork and mindless stuff we covered last year... as opposed to public school, where you can get about as much learnt, without paying huge fees, except you can stuff round, dress in casual, and get drunk.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-05-25, 10:28 PM
In terms of the HSC, private schools seem to do almost universally better than public schools. Last I checked, anyway.

HSC=Flawed System

Enjoy cultural irrelevance :smallwink:

Seeing as we both live in the ACT and both know eachother, i must say i'm surprised to see you write seomthing like that. I'm guessing you got rather sick of the school you were at, which is why you moved to your new college place? gonig to the A.C.Ts best (matter of opinion) private school, and knowing the statistics of H.S.Cs across NSW and the ACT, private schools produce by far better results, a good 40 something %. That said, i can see why you would care to much =P, and you're most definately right on the fact that private high school is boring me out of my mind, and i'm drowning in busywork and mindless stuff we covered last year... as opposed to public school, where you can get about as much learnt, without paying huge fees, except you can stuff round, dress in casual, and get drunk.

Arguably best in which way? Beyond sheer pile of money I don't think Grammar wins everything. Results go to the Radford Mafia, practicality + quality goes to Bundah, Drugs per person goes to Lake G etc.

As previously stated, the HSC is a flawed assesment. AST is what real schools go by, but your skills at the AST are greatly helped by political classes (such as economics) for which Hawker College is one of (if not) the best. Yes I'm aware that we don't get such great results, but that's because of how many people DON'T take economics :smallbiggrin:

One last note, private schools aren't short of alcohol, but the party scene is a bunch of self obsessed try-hards picking up their parents hang-ups in a stifling environment. (Disclaimer: I referred to the "party scene" in private schools or at least a majority of it. Any inferrence is taken at your own risk, as a number of perfectly acceptable individuals dwell within private schools they just stay out of the tryhard circles.

EDIT: Posting at 10:42? Tut, tut. (I keep a weird schedule because of my frees, but you sah ... :smalltongue:)

Trizap
2009-05-25, 10:50 PM
eh, my school is not like most, its a public school, but all the teachers there
are nice people and know that teenagers aren't fully grown up yet and do good job at teaching.

and not a lot of people there are really obsessed about popularity or rebellion or anything and don't really discriminate against anyone, heck I once told someone I didn't even know about how my fantasy books are not going to include humans and instead was going to have animal people they said "cool!"

I think they don't even care that I'm one of those introverted type of people
that doesn't speak much or anything, they are all real friendly and have a group of friends who while I don't speak with that much, I really get along with.

any people who are jerks or stupid or anything are a small minority that I don't often encounter, I think I got lucky with the high school I go to.

SilentNight
2009-05-26, 08:47 AM
he doesn't have a nose ring, but he did use to teach middle school history

Long hair with a receding hair-line?

Dragonrider
2009-05-26, 09:03 AM
@Toasty, up above:

I HATE the social skills question. :smallfurious: If it's true at all it's only in the sense that homeschoolers tend to be really, really good at interacting with adults and not as good with their peer group.

My shyness is NOT caused by my lack of public education. It's actually in part the reason behind it. So...pah.

RMS Oceanic
2009-05-26, 10:34 AM
I had the, overall, good fortune to evade anything resembling an American High School, and instead attended a Catholic-Run Secondary School. GCSE's and A Levels for the win!

Of course, there were downsides. The headmaster was publicity-adverse and had a habit of hushing bullying reports, which I understand led to legal action sometime after my departure. As with any place, the teachers were hit and miss. My French teacher was actually French, but had no control of a class, and most would keep chatting. The same for my GCSE physics teacher. Fortunately I had the correct brainwave to learn from them anyway: they knew their stuff, just not how to impart that knowledge onto a standard brain. My history teacher was a friend of my Dad's, and was definately a better teacher (We covered History of Medicine, Weimar/Nazi Germany and The Troubles/Peace Process, all interesting topics), and I got the highest History mark at GCSE. My A Level Further Maths teacher, however, was also my Computing teacher, and a Vice Principle, so he was always called away to meetings. My own talent for Computing helped me grab a B in that class, but Further Maths suffered, and I ended up with an E. Good thing I had gotten an A in normal Maths the year before, with a much better teacher.

The facilities were darn good. They have several classrooms designed specifically for art, technology, science and computing, and a mini-gym, Thriving Gaelic Football, Hurling and Camogie teams and a separate music suite. I took part in three musicals during my time there (Jacob/Potiphar in Joseph and his Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat, King Herod in Jesus Christ Superstar and Lieutenant Schrank in West Side Story).

So yeah, my school was pretty good overall, although I understand the new headmistress has implemented a lot of soft-handed approaches to discipline (more stern warnings before people think about dishing out detention), while at the same time spending school resources launching a crusade against uniform violations. It kind of reminds me of the war on speeding offences, but that's another story.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-05-26, 05:58 PM
The headmaster was publicity-adverse and had a habit of hushing bullying reports,

I'd really like to see a high school where anything is actually done about bullying.
Of course, I'd also like to see a unicorn, a griffin, and a hippopotamus with eighteen legs.

Erothayce
2009-05-26, 06:28 PM
My high school experience wasn't bad really I just had a hatred of the system, boring seemingly useless classes, and the giant drain it was on my time. When I started going to high school i had just moved so i didn't know anybody but within about a week i had a group of friends. I slacked all through high school doing just enough to pass because i honestly didn't give a rats posterior.
On the social side of things nobody ever messed with me ever. Being over 6' dressed in patched torn skinny jeans, patched and studded leather jacket with a mohawk may have helped that. It's quite funny that when people would first talk to me they found me they said i was terrifying but after conversing with me they found i was human and quite a teddy bear. I ended up with a core group of around 30 or so friends who I still talk to now. I did hate all the idiots in my school but for the most part i ignored them.

TL;DR Academia side=bad, social=good

zeratul
2009-05-26, 07:12 PM
Likes: We have four classes a day which last an hour and twenty minutes, then it alternates every other day which is sweet cause you have more variation. I like that the classes are often somewhat interesting. I like that you get to be around your friends a fair amount there if you take some of the same classes, I like that some people are afraid of me for being the metalhead in the trench coat, there's a decent amount of hot girls, various groups of people, and they sell some decent junk food during lunch.

Dislikes: Annoying people, the fact that I miss so many of the good fights that occur, that fires / huge fights involving pepper spray which cause us to have to chill outside of the school for an hour don't happen that often, having to get checked with metal detectors and stuff once a month, boring classes (i hate math).

Em Blackleaf
2009-05-26, 07:21 PM
Likes: The friends, the theater class, the dance department, the English class, the fact that everyone is outgoing (I could give any random person a high-five). Yeah, my school is cool.

Dislikes: Math class and homework. Some of my friends go to different schools. :smallfrown:

WE HAVE A BREAKDANCING CREW AND A TEACHER BAND. MY SCHOOL PWNS URS.

:smalltongue:

zeratul
2009-05-26, 07:30 PM
Likes: The friends, the theater class, the dance department, the English class, the fact that everyone is outgoing (I could give any random person a high-five). Yeah, my school is cool.

Dislikes: Math class and homework. Some of my friends go to different schools. :smallfrown:

WE HAVE A BREAKDANCING CREW AND A TEACHER BAND. MY SCHOOL PWNS URS.

:smalltongue:

We have a breakdancing club too , lead by our crazy and awesome AP english teacher. I can;t tell weather I would prefer you're ability to randomly high five people over the awesome fights I get to witness here, tis a hard choice :smalltongue:

Faulty
2009-05-26, 08:17 PM
I don't hate high school anymore... I just no longer have any real feelings for it. I used to hate it, but now I realize how petty so much of it is. Once you're out and have some perspective, you realize how silly a lot of it is. Most of the friends you make you won't keep, many people you thought you liked you realize you liked because there was no one else to hang out with, all those concerns and crushes suddenly gain this silly, teenage bad taste to them. You realize that most of what you've learned isn't that useful in any way... it just suddenly takes on this silly characteristic. I wonder why I ever cared about anything about it in the first place. What you learn there (about yourself and life) is important as a stepping stone, but it's just that, a fungus covered, slimy stepping stone that you need to walk over to get to better places.

On the actually caring (plus?) side, my English classes actually really taught me a lot of things that I still find useful and I still love my teachers from it, they were and are exceptional teachers. I also made a few friends with whom I still interact, so it's not all pointless. Just mostly.

Hrm, I think this post came out more cheap than I had hoped.

Neko Toast
2009-05-26, 08:33 PM
Most of the time, when I look back at high school, I wonder why I ever liked it. Some of my teachers didn't know how to teach, and my parents set too high expectations for me because I'm the oldest. A good example: My little brother is probably going to fail Geometry, and they don't seem to care too much. I get a D in a class because the tests were hard and were a huge percentage of the final grade, and they grounded me for the rest of the school year.

Dealing with the huge student body didn't help things either, considering how much of an introvert I am. I came from a big school, having about 2,000 students altogether, and having a graduating class of 495 in 2008.

I just seem to be more comfortable in a college setting. I no longer have the pressure of my parents, and aside from roommates (I'll finally be rooming with someone I know next semester, thank the Twelve Gods), you aren't necessarily surrounded by people all of the time.

My philosophy is that if you hated high school, you'll probably love college. If you loved high school, then you might hate college.

Faulty
2009-05-26, 08:35 PM
My philosophy is that if you hated high school, you'll probably love college.

Mmm... you don't want to encourage people to see college as a panacea to all the problems they believe spring from being in high school. It's more complex than that. You won't necessarily like college, unless you let yourself.

Em Blackleaf
2009-05-26, 10:14 PM
We have a breakdancing club too , lead by our crazy and awesome AP english teacher. I can;t tell weather I would prefer you're ability to randomly high five people over the awesome fights I get to witness here, tis a hard choice :smalltongue:
Well my English teacher is a good dancer too.

The extroverted thing is pretty sweet. I'm not a fan of fights.
On time a kid was sent to the hospital after being attacked by some other kid with brass knuckles. Over a girl. :smallsigh:

Another thing I don't like: Grades. It's kind of stressful to keep them up. My parents don't have to worry about me, because I worry enough about my grades. Well, math is actually the only grade to worry about.

zeratul
2009-05-26, 10:28 PM
Well my English teacher is a good dancer too.

The extroverted thing is pretty sweet. I'm not a fan of fights.
On time a kid was sent to the hospital after being attacked by some other kid with brass knuckles. Over a girl. :smallsigh:

Another thing I don't like: Grades. It's kind of stressful to keep them up. My parents don't have to worry about me, because I worry enough about my grades. Well, math is actually the only grade to worry about.

Generally the fights here are just fists and such, no weapons. The only exception I can think of is one fight earlier this year which involved pepper spray which lead to some hospitalizations. And brass knuckles are cheap as hell.

and yeah I have to second the math related grades being a con of highschool, also chem grades :smallsigh:.

Trizap
2009-05-26, 11:44 PM
I'd really like to see a high school where anything is actually done about bullying.
Of course, I'd also like to see a unicorn, a griffin, and a hippopotamus with eighteen legs.

come to my school, there aren't really any bullies there. :smalltongue:

Trizap
2009-05-26, 11:46 PM
and yeah I have to second the math related grades being a con of highschool, also chem grades :smallsigh:.

oh right, I hate math to, can't wrap my brain around it, even though I manage to get a C in it every year.

Blackdrop
2009-05-27, 02:06 AM
First off, to those people complain about 45 of sitting or two days of 90 minute sitting, I have to say, I envy you. 90 minute long classrooms everyday, all year. We have block scheduling

My classes:

Honors Algrebra 2: I don't mind this class that much. The teacher's good and I get most of the math. What I hate, however, is that it's all freshmen. I'm a gorram junior! It's irritating!

Team Sports: This is fun. We're required to have two gym credits, and after a normal Gym class, we've got three options: Team Sports, Weight Lifting, and Pilattes. Pilattes- guys are allowed to take it, they're just not allowed to take and my frail little stick-figure are ain't doin' Weight Lifting.

Media Communications: This class is a...mixed bag. I enjoy the class (we edit school and community events, anchor them and put them out on the cable channel Comcast provides us), but some of the people in their are...I can't even think how to phrase it. Some are of them are okay, but others have stick rammed so far up theirs, they make Miko seem like a wild, party going junkie. We have a chinless Machiavelli, a scumbag senior who sleeps with Freshmen/Middle Schoolers, and the students who think they're going to go somewhere in the Communications industry have a serious, serious ego problem.

Psychology: Awesome class. The teacher is one the best in the school, he knows the material, he's relaxed, but not a pushover. I'm going to miss having the class next year.

Kjata
2009-05-27, 02:23 AM

Bullying is, honest and truly, a thing of the past. Ya stuff happens today, but not even close to the extent it used to happen.

Generally the fights here are just fists and such, no weapons. The only exception I can think of is one fight earlier this year which involved pepper spray which lead to some hospitalizations. And brass knuckles are cheap as hell.

You can get a pair where I live for like $10... and you could really do some damage with those.

toasty
2009-05-27, 02:47 AM

Funny... because I've never had a problem with grades in highschool. Only classes I've really had to work on are Latin I this year and Geo last year.

And I'm probably average amongst my friends. At least I feel average... (though I suppose being in the 97% for reading on the ACT is hardly average. :smallbiggrin:)

@Toasty, up above:

I HATE the social skills question. If it's true at all it's only in the sense that homeschoolers tend to be really, really good at interacting with adults and not as good with their peer group.

My shyness is NOT caused by my lack of public education. It's actually in part the reason behind it. So...pah.

I'm not entirely sure about that... I interact fine with my "peer group". Though, admitely, that means people aged 13-20 when I'm 17.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-05-27, 03:34 AM
Bullying is, honest and truly, a thing of the past. Ya stuff happens today, but not even close to the extent it used to happen.

Well I suppose you're right, in that six months ago is indeed 'the past' but oh wait I haven't been to school since then.

Elm11
2009-05-27, 07:16 AM

Look, i'm sorry, but i really have to question that. Luckily, i haven't been victim of anything noticable by old standards, but i know a boy who was beaten on a daily basis until the bloke doing it was expelled. and i'm not talking light beatings, it was notcied because he was bleeding on the lip and had a bloody great black eye.

In any case, the kind of obvious physical and verbal abuse we all know and hate is being taken over by one considerably more subtle and outstretching.
I of course speak of cyber bullying. cyber bullying is bla bla bla we've probably all heard the lecture a dozen times. But when it's used in some ways, for gods sake it really puts you down. False rumours, edited pictures, taunts insults and threats over emails. As someone who was and is currently a victim of cyber bullying (thank god it hasn't started up again since i started 2nd term (2 weeks ago) i can tell you, it is just as bad, in a different way, to what we used to get.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-05-27, 07:27 AM
I like how in high school you can be a high school kid, and not have to worry about the real world, or getting a good job to buy the kinda house you want to buy and support your family/kids.

Mainly the fact that all the fun adults have is pretty easily accessible, but you can hide from all the adult responsibilities.

I miss senior year infinitely.

Maybe it was that way for you...
And granted, I didn't have to support a family or kids, but I was pretty much in the damned real world already, in a manner of speaking.
Plus, there's a girl I work with who's just graduating highschool, and she's been on her own since the end of her sophomore year, and recently married.
I can't even imagine....

Castaras
2009-05-27, 07:36 AM

Wrong.

I see people bullied every day, I have been bullied for most of my life.

It's a fact of human nature - you pick on the seemingly weaker individual, or you gang up in large groups to pick on the slightly stronger individual to make yourself feel big.

Bullying isn't just the "Beat someone up, hit them, throw them on the ground". In fact, physical bullying is a very small percentage of it. The vast majority of bullying is through words, which hits much harder and much deeper, and scars you for much longer. It is the much more powerful and much more harmful, often causing the one who has been attacked in such a way to hurt themselves, to feel suicidal and even go through with the depressive thoughts.

And that is the bullying I see everyday. The name calling, the giggling behind someone's back, the isolating of people. You come look at my school, which is a better school than most community-wise, then you tell me that bullying isn't as bad as it always has been.

Vizen
2009-05-27, 09:12 AM

Turn back time and avoid the catastrophe.

I am really getting the feel that my high school is more of university prep than high school.

Oh, well, see I wouldn't know about IB or CIE. I wasn't the brightest one at school. Especially since I failed Year 13. :smallfrown: I'm not surprised I did though. By that stage school was just an excuse for me to go and see my friends, who were some of the brightest our school had/has to offer. Yet I don't think they know of IB or CIE either. But what can I expect from a rural school?

Faulty
2009-05-27, 09:27 AM
It's a fact of human nature - you pick on the seemingly weaker individual, or you gang up in large groups to pick on the slightly stronger individual to make yourself feel big.

May I contest this? I don't think bullying is necessarily an unchanging fact about the way human society works or could work. We're in a society that's very concerned with domination, control and looking to be superior to other people. Especially among males, the concept of masculinity often has to do with seeming strong, being aggressive, avoiding being called a "***", "*****", "bitch" and so on. It's possible to avoid bullying if kids are raised in a way that discourages it.

Kcalehc
2009-05-27, 10:05 AM
I see a lot of complaints about sitting in classrooms for long hours in a day... I wonder what you think work will be like; pretty much that for the majority of people. (the only real difference being you can wander off for a coffee or bathroom break if you feel like it - generally - oh and they pay you, sometimes).

Having been out of high school (or my nations equivalent) for a decently long time now I look back on it with fondness even though it wasn't always great. So much less hassle than mortgage, bills, taxes, commuting and all the other grown up stuff I have to do.

Thing about high school is very little of it really matters, it's only afterwards in higher education that you really start to learn things. You just have to put up with the crap for a few years till you get to the best bits. Flexible schedules, choice of courses, lax campus rules (compared to school anyways), and, depending on your country, large amounts of cheap social lubricant.

Goldwing
2009-05-27, 04:22 PM
Come to think about it, even with all the unpleasent things endured throughout my high school career...my school has been for the last fifteen years and remains to this day in the top 5 percent of Americas' high schools. Sure, there are fights and bullying and stupid pranks and zero tolerance and self-segregation of students, BUT...we have a swimming pool, with water, which is regularly maintained. We don't have metal detectors in my school. We only have one police officer assigned to our campus. Nobody has ever killed anybody else on campus, yet. Our last drug bust was seven years ago. We only have thirty to thirty-five students in a classroom. We still have band and choir and dance and numerous art classes, as well as the proper facilities and equipment for these programs. We have multiple off-campus and special programs for those students who want to pursue medical careers, as well as a robust Honors and Advanced Placement program for most academic classes. We have equipment and facilities for water polo, tennis, golf, basketball, football, volleyball, track, cross-country...I forget what all else. We have teachers who can keep their students "under control", and students who care enough about their grades to (usually) show up, and (mostly) not cause a riot.

Maybe my high school doesn't suck so bad...:smallconfused:

Edit: Oh yeah...we only have protestors on or right in front of campus three or four days out of the year. Forgot that one.

Canadian
2009-05-27, 04:54 PM
come to my school, there aren't really any bullies there. :smalltongue:

I'm calling my bully pals right now. Beatings in the lunchroom tomorrow. :smallwink:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-05-27, 08:49 PM
My teachers are all so disappointed in me.

First semester, I straight A's and an average of 93.2%.

Now I'm getting only the occasional 90, mostly 80's, and a few 70s. Oh no, they cry, what's wrong with him!

I literally do absolutely none of my homework, don't study for tests, and I get better marks than most of the class.

And this is an INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE class.

Makes me sick. I know I'm smarter than them by a bit, I know because I was in the Gifted program from grade 4-8, but they forget the stupidest things. The teachers have to explain things to them over and over again. I was expecting this special curriculum to be challenging me, and I would be learning with people my skill level, like it was in grade 7 and 8.

I guess I got lucky those years.

Edit: For Canadian's benefit, I go to Parkdale, so you can imagine the neighbourhood nearby. I've literally had bags of drugs dropped in front of me, randomly, on the street. I don't do drugs though :smallsigh:
I do make exceptions for bits of alcohol though:smallamused:

KnightDisciple
2009-05-27, 09:04 PM
I see a lot of complaints about sitting in classrooms for long hours in a day... I wonder what you think work will be like; pretty much that for the majority of people. (the only real difference being you can wander off for a coffee or bathroom break if you feel like it - generally - oh and they pay you, sometimes).

This, right here.

At least high school is always during daylight. Some jobs have you work nights, and even over the weekend.

I frankly have little to no pity for high schoolers complaining about how long they're in school. :smalltongue:

zeratul
2009-05-27, 10:27 PM

You can get a pair where I live for like $10... and you could really do some damage with those.

I've always viewed them sort of as the weapon of thugs who can't really fight. Since if you know how to fight well you don;t need brass knuckles. I just have a general dislike of the weapon.

Erothayce
2009-05-27, 10:41 PM
Come to think about it, even with all the unpleasent things endured throughout my high school career...my school has been for the last fifteen years and remains to this day in the top 5 percent of Americas' high schools. Sure, there are fights and bullying and stupid pranks and zero tolerance and self-segregation of students, BUT...we have a swimming pool, with water, which is regularly maintained. We don't have metal detectors in my school. We only have one police officer assigned to our campus. Nobody has ever killed anybody else on campus, yet. Our last drug bust was seven years ago. We only have thirty to thirty-five students in a classroom. We still have band and choir and dance and numerous art classes, as well as the proper facilities and equipment for these programs. We have multiple off-campus and special programs for those students who want to pursue medical careers, as well as a robust Honors and Advanced Placement program for most academic classes. We have equipment and facilities for water polo, tennis, golf, basketball, football, volleyball, track, cross-country...I forget what all else. We have teachers who can keep their students "under control", and students who care enough about their grades to (usually) show up, and (mostly) not cause a riot.

Maybe my high school doesn't suck so bad...:smallconfused:

Edit: Oh yeah...we only have protestors on or right in front of campus three or four days out of the year. Forgot that one.

I think i went to that same high school last year. Those protesters were fun to argue with. *Recalls fond arguments about truth*

Nychta
2009-05-28, 02:15 AM
Oh, well, see I wouldn't know about IB or CIE. I wasn't the brightest one at school. Especially since I failed Year 13. :smallfrown: I'm not surprised I did though. By that stage school was just an excuse for me to go and see my friends, who were some of the brightest our school had/has to offer. Yet I don't think they know of IB or CIE either. But what can I expect from a rural school?
Tends to be the problem with rural NZ schools. I expect some of NCEA's problems will be ironed out within a few years; it's not like it's completely broken, but rather ineffective. Unfortunately, some people have to be the guinea pigs.

Jalor
2009-05-28, 05:38 PM
Is there a point where >90% of the population stop being jerk-bags?
No. Unless you're in marching band, where you only meet awesome people.

I also second the hatred of teachers not teaching. Of my core classes, only two of my teachers are any good, and one of those has anger issues.

Kjata
2009-05-29, 01:22 AM
Well I suppose you're right, in that six months ago is indeed 'the past' but oh wait I haven't been to school since then.

Look, i'm sorry, but i really have to question that. Luckily, i haven't been victim of anything noticable by old standards, but i know a boy who was beaten on a daily basis until the bloke doing it was expelled. and i'm not talking light beatings, it was notcied because he was bleeding on the lip and had a bloody great black eye.

In any case, the kind of obvious physical and verbal abuse we all know and hate is being taken over by one considerably more subtle and outstretching.
I of course speak of cyber bullying. cyber bullying is bla bla bla we've probably all heard the lecture a dozen times. But when it's used in some ways, for gods sake it really puts you down. False rumours, edited pictures, taunts insults and threats over emails. As someone who was and is currently a victim of cyber bullying (thank god it hasn't started up again since i started 2nd term (2 weeks ago) i can tell you, it is just as bad, in a different way, to what we used to get.

Wrong.

I see people bullied every day, I have been bullied for most of my life.

Bullying isn't just the "Beat someone up, hit them, throw them on the ground". In fact, physical bullying is a very small percentage of it. The vast majority of bullying is through words, which hits much harder and much deeper, and scars you for much longer. It is the much more powerful and much more harmful, often causing the one who has been attacked in such a way to hurt themselves, to feel suicidal and even go through with the depressive thoughts.

And that is the bullying I see everyday. The name calling, the giggling behind someone's back, the isolating of people. You come look at my school, which is a better school than most community-wise, then you tell me that bullying isn't as bad as it always has been.

I never said bullying doesn't happen. Different kinds of bullying happen nowadays, which affects different people. True, some people get it really bad, like I'm assuming NC did, and some get it kinda bad. But I have heard some pretty bad stories from my mom and dad. Not only that, but bullying has been recognized as a problem, and people are dealing with it. If someone is harassing you, you can get help which will probably stop it.

I don't think exclusion is necessarily bullying. Ya it hurts pretty damn bad, no arguments there, but i think it is more fear of the unknown than actual malicious intent. I hang out with all sorts of people, from burned out stoners to jocks to gamers, and I have noticed that intolerance is based on fear. Does that make it right? Hell no. But it isn't bullying either, I don't think that is bullying.

and scars you for much longer
know what you are talking about. Im extremely optimistic about everything, i.e. the future, the state of the world today, but not human interaction.I have a lot of friends, but only about 3 of them that I really like. Its because I can never shake the feeling that these same people who are friendly to me today were some of the people who caused my life to feel empty only a few years ago, and led to the start of my drug use that continues today.

Of course, at the same time, I was never picked on, because I avoided it.

I was typing all this up, when I realized, "Goddammit, I was wrong, bullying is still a big problem."

KIDS
2009-05-29, 01:53 AM
I recall I was quite happy with my High School while I was there. It was still filled with clans and drama-BS (TM), but it was a peaceful place (probably due to 70:30 ratio of girls:boys) with some mediocre teachers and also some incredible ones. I liked most of the classes. Anyways, compared to my elementary school which was a place of constant violence and bullying I worried about avoiding daily (I was only bullied a bit because I had some good friends), it was a much needed change.

Then going to the university from there was a huge improvement again. I wouldn't ever go back and can't understand why so many people say "those years were the best", responsibilities or no :)

i see u
2009-06-16, 04:01 AM
I hated Geography

Anuan
2009-06-16, 06:08 AM
Highschool has been bringing me very close to suicide recently. Blech.

golfmade
2009-06-16, 10:28 AM
High school, god reading this makes me feel old. Coming up on 10th year since I graduated from high school. No plans to go to the reunion, I'm not flying halfway back around the world to see the people that I hated at the time.

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-16, 10:40 AM
I don't wanna go to highschool. :smallfrown:

KataraAltinaII
2009-06-16, 10:55 AM

So many people i know say they hate all the drama in high school, which kinda pisses me off. I don't care about petty drama bs, so i don't pay attention to it. I never see drama. All I do is study, read, get high, and occasionally go to parties with my good friends, and I'm pretty content with high school. People who are involved in all this drama they bitch about are just seeking it out, just so they can complain.

Or maybe there is drama, and it just can't penetrate this bubble around me that is thicker than I thought. Oh well.

Now for the like. Just so this thread isn't all negative :smallwink:

Life sucks. But High School sucks more.

me, I generally just hated how dumb our school was. This is the school that had a 58% dropout rate for the last 4 years or so [give or take a few % each year]. I was actually a pretty good student, so I wasn't hypocritical.

but other than that, our school was just so full of deadbeats.

that aside, I have good memories ther, because I knew who to hang out with and where to go.

ghost_warlock
2009-06-16, 11:21 AM
Hm. What are my thoughts on high school...? Well, considering that was well over a decade ago, I don't really have many.

Or do I? :smallamused:

There were 50 kids in my class, 46 of whom graduated. Of the four who didn't, three were due to pregnancies, the last due to just plain dropping out senior year. :smallsigh:

I was essentially immune to the drama because I mostly just ignored or was oblivious to it. Exactly one rumor was started about me. It was so ludicrous that I laughed when I finally caught wind of it and never gave it a second thought.

I dated exactly one girl, for more-or-less two weeks, during my senior year. The girls in my school didn't really interest me. Well, I'll admit a crush or two, but I knew that I was heading in a different direction with my life than they were so I didn't want to get involved with them. Oddly enough, that's actually the truth and not just a lame excuse. :smallwink:

Bullying wasn't an issue for me. What little bullying I was subjected to was resolved long before I got to high school. I didn't even face any freshmen hazing. I would attribute this to the small size of the school, knowing the right people, and having a history of being a bit...explosive...in the face of harrassment.

I didn't study particularly hard. In fact, I slacked off most of the time and only did about 60-70% of the homework I was assigned. I tested well, though, so that was to my advantage. I knew high school was a joke and I treated it as such. I paid attention to the useful information from my classes, though, and did well enough to be accepted by all the colleges I applied to.

During my senior year I left school an hour early every day and went to work. I received work-study credit for school and made a bit of money. Not much, but enough to suit my needs.

I didn't participate in any extra-curricular activities. This is probably the only thing I regret from high school; I think I would've enjoyed speech & drama. :smallfrown: Ah well.

As for my social life, well, I had a small group of friends that I talked to pretty much daily and hung out with during lunch an such. On weekends, we'd get together for trips to 'the city' or to game (2e D&D and Werewolf were the games of choice back then). After graduation, I kept in contact with most of them but we don't really do anything together these days. (I roomed with one of them for a year during college and was an usher at his wedding, but he's since moved to another part of the country so I rarely see him. I lost contact with my 'best' friend for a few years but recently re-connected via MySpace and Facebook - turns out he's gay now. :smallbiggrin: I have limited contact with the others, though, for various reasons.)

Afterwards, I headed off to college and that's when life actually began for me. :smallsmile:

GoC
2009-06-16, 12:04 PM
May I contest this? I don't think bullying is necessarily an unchanging fact about the way human society works or could work. We're in a society that's very concerned with domination, control and looking to be superior to other people. Especially among males, the concept of masculinity often has to do with seeming strong, being aggressive, avoiding being called a "***", "*****", "bitch" and so on. It's possible to avoid bullying if kids are raised in a way that discourages it.

Humans naturally desire power (social, physical, monetary, ect) and having power over someone is an addictive feeling.
And if you truly think that it's mostly males who do the worst bullying you need to recheck your definition of "bullying".

Zeful
2009-06-16, 12:45 PM
Assertiveness training. If you can't afford a therapist, you can go buy a self-help book.

20 bucks is a small price to pay for a chance at a normal life.Except when 20 bucks mean you skip a meal daily for two weeks.

Good ones will teach you that you need to stand up for yourself long before it ever gets to a fight. Talking back during namecalling is a good place to start... Even something as simple as "no, YOU go *bleep* yourself" will go a long way towards first stopping you from being an easy target and later giving you self-confidence you need in life.

Good books will also tell you how to do that and not look like you're going to faint. And how to get courage to do so in the first place.

You can learn the same by realizing that most bullies are particularly fragile and school requires you to carry several lethal objects at all times.

The best way to stop bullying is to press assault charges, either it stops or the bully goes to jail. It's win-win.

Moff Chumley
2009-06-16, 01:08 PM
Mkay, High School...
The worst thing, is the drugs. As a long haired, hippyish musician in a school full of musicians, is everyone assumes I'm a stoner, so no one really takes me seriously, even when I'm perhaps one of the 20% of people in my band program who don't smoke weed...

And don't get me started on shrooms. I've had four friends turned into zombies, and they haven't really recovered in the four months since they tried it...

Also bad: I DON'T CARE ABOUT 90% OF WHAT I'M BEING TOUGHT. We are taught for tests, and nothing else. The teachers have become cynical middle-managers, and most of the students are *******s.

The one redeeming quality is my friends: there's nothing better than sitting on a grassy hill, with four people with acoustic guitars and everyone else with some percussion instrument or another, singing random songs your friend wrote.:smallcool:

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-16, 03:10 PM
So my highschool experience wasn't so bad, at least compared to my middleschool experience (6th, 7th, 8th grades for those not from the U.S.). I graduated in 2005 btw.

Many classes, especially AP classes, were actually interesting and taught by teachers who loved their jobs and were quite good.

The majority of teachers at my school were kind, helpful and knowledgable.

The computer programming curiculum at my highschool prepared me for college-level compsci rather well.

I never got messed with in highschool, due to being 6'1' and fairly muscular.

Cafeteria food was great. I should rephrase that: I liked the cafeteria food.

I had a small but loyal group of friends, and we basically went about our business undisturbed.

With some exceptions (see below), my school was very safe. Of course, there was a narrowly averted school shooting/bombing this past spring, so I guess we just got lucky.

Dislikes:
Mandatory pep rallies. I didn't give two sh*ts about the school football team, or any team for that matter. I hate being expected to be jubulant for no reason. We did get out of class for them though, which was a plus.

P.E. was stupid as hell. They never taught us how to do any of the sports/activities correctly, and the skill levels were all over the place. The P.E. teachers didn't seem to care either. The one exception was badminton, which I enjoyed.

Dang security guards kept confiscating my magic cards! A schoolwide ban on gambling prohibited cards, which stupidly extended to magic: the gathering as well.

MS-13 related stabbings (MS-13 is an ultra-violent Salvadorean street gang, for those not in the know).

Most of the kids were complete idiots. Yes, even the ones in the AP classes. We did a reading of King Lear in AP english 12 (as in, senior year english), and my reading partner pronounced "foul fiend" as "fool find", and didn't seem to notice/care. Wtf y'all.

The IB kids, while certifiably smart, were also cocky douchebags, so I don't think I would have wanted to hang out with them anyway. I basically didn't really fit into any of the social groups, but I didn't care at the time.

Due to being a public school, the difference between the highest and lowest achievers was staggering. To think that people were writing essays on Proust while others struggled with basic arithmatic in the same building is amazing. Its no wonder the public school system is so strained, trying to provide services for people at all levels of education.

For all of you complaining about sitting all day -- if your job as an adult is anything other than lumberjack, patrol cop, active duty soldier, etc, you will be sitting on your ass for many, many hours a day. Get used to it, its the 21st century.

For anyone who hates highschool, college will totally be the promised land, you have my word. The huge number of people ensure that you can get lost in the crowd if you wish, and also virtually guarantee that there will be more people who are into your particular brand of geekery. Selective admissions help to weed out annoying idiots. Of course, if, say, you don't like parties, don't go to a party school or you will be driven insane.

For those youngin's in the audience who are worried about highschool, I'm afraid I can't say much. As far as I can tell, highschools vary wildly in their quality and safety, so even though my experience was pretty good/safe, yours may not be. The survival tips given by others so far have been sound: keep your head down (i.e. down get all up in other people's bidness), stay outta trouble, do your work, etc.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-06-16, 03:23 PM
I was homeschooled since 4th grade, so never went through high school. It is one of the few smart decisions I believe my parents ever made.

There are those who say, 'Oh you poor little innocent, you never got to learn to socialize or deal with the real world'.

Never had a problem, and really from what I can tell and everyone who did go to high school that I know, it tends to be an artificial environment that has no semblance to the real world once you leave it to strike out on your own. In fact, the 'socialization' learnt there tends to be anti-helpful.

All I can say is be yourself, don't give in just cuz more people tend to disagree, and remember that high school is a place to learn, not a social club.

I helped start a company with a fellow homeschoolee I grew up with. She, on her own, set out and began a music magazine, interviewing top people, and in certain places, such as Nashville, is known by most people she meets in the musical industry. Three Doors Down know her be sight. Yes, she is incredibly socially stunted...

However, this, I know, does not apply to all cases. I know others who are homeschooled that are so pathetic once away from their home wouldn't know how to survive. But... don't you know of folks just like that in highschool? Think on it.

Peace.

Edit:

The survival tips given by others so far have been sound: keep your head down (i.e. down get all up in other people's bidness), stay outta trouble, do your work, etc.
Ok, here is my go at this.

First off, don't keep your head down. Hold it up straight and tall. Sure, don't get in people's business, but don't hide from them either. Staying out of trouble is one thing, and I'm all for it, but still do what's right. If something is wrong, rock the boat and knock it overboard. Stand up for what you believe. Don't bully or pressure other's with it, you'll just become one of them, but just stay true for yourself.

SilentNight
2009-06-16, 04:04 PM
Mkay, High School...
The worst thing, is the drugs. As a long haired, hippyish musician in a school full of musicians, is everyone assumes I'm a stoner, so no one really takes me seriously, even when I'm perhaps one of the 20% of people in my band program who don't smoke weed...

And don't get me started on shrooms. I've had four friends turned into zombies, and they haven't really recovered in the four months since they tried it...
I know drugs are a taboo topic on the forums so I'll try to keep this away from there. Anyone wanting to discuss drugs and society's views on them, PM me. Anyway, as a short-haired, laid-back white guy who listens to a good deal of reggae in a band of short-haired, white guy stoners, I get that a lot too. Not really in a bad way, I just occasionally hear "Bullsh*t, there's no way you don't smoke."

The one redeeming quality is my friends: there's nothing better than sitting on a grassy hill, with four people with acoustic guitars and everyone else with some percussion instrument or another, singing random songs your friend wrote.:smallcool: Nice

Moff Chumley
2009-06-16, 05:00 PM
And the best part is, we're pretty good...

Well, the songs, guitar playing, and maybe two of the singers. The rest, not so much... :smallwink:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-06-17, 10:24 AM
I just graduated, did it in three years.

Good riddance, I say!

Faulty
2009-06-17, 11:46 AM
For anyone who hates highschool, college will totally be the promised land, you have my word.

Don't get people's hopes to high, man. I felt this way and most of my first year of college was pretty hellish. I'd say that they should remain optimistic about college, but turning anything into a holy grail will just lead to disapointment.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-17, 06:31 PM
Don't get people's hopes to high, man. I felt this way and most of my first year of college was pretty hellish. I'd say that they should remain optimistic about college, but turning anything into a holy grail will just lead to disapointment.

Okay, I suppose the holy grail angle might have been a bit misleading. But it seems to me that even if college ends up sucking for a person, it would still be better than highschool, if only for the added sense of freedom.

I mean, I didn't exactly have a thrilling freshman year of college, but sitting around in my underwear playing Icewind Dale and eating chicken nuggets without getting nagged by anyone was pretty sweet, for what it was worth.