PDA

View Full Version : G General Anime Discussion - Typing FINGER!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Closet_Skeleton
2009-07-09, 12:07 PM
All social links must be maxed.

On the first play.

Without a guide.

FINAL DESTINATION.

Okay, only the first one was serious.

'u' 'r' doin' it 'rong (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SelfImposedChallenge)

Real roleplayers play Persona games as a loser who makes everyone hate him because he's scared of having his heart broken and take on all the enemies without any special bonuses what so ever.

Tengu_temp
2009-07-09, 12:11 PM
Didn't Chie get Rakukaja and Kanji Tarukaja, not the other way around? And while Chie has much better Magic, Kanji gets Elec Boost and tier 3 spells, while Chie is stuck with Mabufu and Bufula, so his spells did more damage in the end, just were less MP-efficient. Another bad thing about Chie is how for a long time she's stuck with very weak physical attacks - Black Spot is just pathetic. On the other hand, her speed really is very good, multi-target physical attacks are good on mook enemies and she has the best follow-up attack in the whole game. In the end, I found Chie to be slightly better on non-bosses and Kanji much better on bosses - but, since Persona 4 is not a very hard game, I didn't really care about that anyway, and I just took whomever had the lowest level with me, all the time, and only made sure to take Yukiko or Teddie when facing bosses. When I finished the game, all my party members had the same level.

Attilargh
2009-07-09, 12:23 PM
Hey guys, remember back on page two when I said I was working on a homebrew RPG project in the vein of Super Robot Wars? Well, to my eternal surprise, I actually managed to finish the first draft of the damn thing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=117758).

Rogue 7
2009-07-09, 12:28 PM
If you're using Chie for ice damage you're really doing it wrong. I kept Bufula and Mabufu solely so that I could exploit Ice weaknesses, rather than for damage-dealing. Chie had Tarukaja, and I think Kanji may have gotten Matarukaja, but he's also got Rakukaja as I recall. But since the protagonist is so much better at buffing, I just used him.

And Yosuke is absolutely awesome. I found a Gale Pin in the mandala that boosted his wind attacks by 40%. Coupled with Wind Boost and Wind Amp, that's a 115% boost, on top of good stats, Masukukaja, and Dekaja. He lacks physical skills for most of the midgame, but Brave Blade is great.

UltraDude
2009-07-09, 12:46 PM
If you're using Chie for ice damage you're really doing it wrong. I kept Bufula and Mabufu solely so that I could exploit Ice weaknesses, rather than for damage-dealing. Chie had Tarukaja, and I think Kanji may have gotten Matarukaja, but he's also got Rakukaja as I recall. But since the protagonist is so much better at buffing, I just used him.

And Yosuke is absolutely awesome. I found a Gale Pin in the mandala that boosted his wind attacks by 40%. Coupled with Wind Boost and Wind Amp, that's a 115% boost, on top of good stats, Masukukaja, and Dekaja. He lacks physical skills for most of the midgame, but Brave Blade is great.

I mostly pointed out Chie's magic damage because I like my weakness hitting magic to also deal plenty of damage whenever possible; some enemies won't be killed by an All-Out Attack unless you take a chunk out of them on the shot that knocks them down.

Fri
2009-07-09, 01:06 PM
Hey guys, remember back on page two when I said I was working on a homebrew RPG project in the vein of Super Robot Wars? Well, to my eternal surprise, I actually managed to finish the first draft of the damn thing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=117758).

So.. anyone up for some giant robot bashing each other? I'm already playing tengu's giant robot slugfest actually, but we just can't have too much giant robot fight.

Anyone want to DM? Coincidentally, I do have some story that might fit this system (hint: it's involving giant robot), but I'm already Dm-ing the maid rpg, so I can't promise anything. I'm a newbie in the land of pbp dm-ing and I simply don't want to chew more than what I can swallow. Or the other way around, you get the point.

Tengu_temp
2009-07-09, 01:22 PM
Coupled with Wind Boost and Wind Amp, that's a 115% boost, on top of good stats, Masukukaja, and Dekaja.

Do X Boost and X Amp stack? I wondered that many times, but couldn't find a definite answer on the net and never bothered to do actual research.

Thrawn183
2009-07-09, 01:22 PM
I just watched Eureka 7. It was good. I was starting to get worried that there'd be a terrible ending for a while though.

UltraDude
2009-07-09, 01:36 PM
I just watched Eureka 7. It was good. I was starting to get worried that there'd be a terrible ending for a while though.

The ending almost made me squee.

I'm such a sap.

Rogue 7
2009-07-09, 01:45 PM
Do X Boost and X Amp stack? I wondered that many times, but couldn't find a definite answer on the net and never bothered to do actual research.

Everyone I've asked plus the official guide says they do, and Yosuke kills enough stuff that I'm willing to believe it. Though the official guide is filled to the brim with typos and misprints. Still, it was only 10 bucks.

Vic_Sage
2009-07-09, 02:30 PM
Speaking of Eureka, has anyone seen Pocket Full of Rainbows?

Cubey
2009-07-09, 11:58 PM
I've watched Eureka Seven - I missed a few episodes, but overall it was pretty good. Great music, could use more robot fights, unique setting, interesting plot and characters. Poor Renton, everyone in the world is a EDIT: very mean person to him, even Eureka at times.
One thing that bothered me, if only a bit (but it bothered my brother who watched the whole series a lot more) is the juxtaposition of Power of Love and many people dying horribly, both extras and some named characters. I guess Love wasn't strong enough to protect them, huh?

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-10, 12:03 AM
So.. anyone up for some giant robot bashing each other? I'm already playing tengu's giant robot slugfest actually, but we just can't have too much giant robot fight.

Anyone want to DM? Coincidentally, I do have some story that might fit this system (hint: it's involving giant robot), but I'm already Dm-ing the maid rpg, so I can't promise anything. I'm a newbie in the land of pbp dm-ing and I simply don't want to chew more than what I can swallow. Or the other way around, you get the point.

Already GMing two (yes, seriously) games of giant robots, or I'd volunteer. I'm willing to playtest, though.

Cubey: Just because the Power of Love exists doesn't mean it's omnipotentm or a guarantee of a happy ending for everybody. Hell, it's not a guarantee of a happy ending at all.

Cubey
2009-07-10, 12:14 AM
Cubey: Just because the Power of Love exists doesn't mean it's omnipotentm or a guarantee of a happy ending for everybody. Hell, it's not a guarantee of a happy ending at all.

Yeah, I know. But it just feels unfair that it works for some and not for others. It's like that Nostalgia Critic episode when he was criticizing Disney Death using Lion King as an example, a rare Disney production which did NOT have Disney Death in it:
"If you wish your father to return to life, Simba, he will be alive again! What is it? He's still dead? You don't want your father to come back? Oh well... maybe you didn't wish hard enough."
And the series tells that to everyone EXCEPT Renton and Eureka. It doesn't change the fact that the finale was a great heartwarming moment, though.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-10, 12:22 AM
Actually, if I recall my spoilers correctly

Dominic and Anemone make it out okay, so really, it's just that the Power of Love only works for starfish.

UltraDude
2009-07-10, 12:35 AM
Important question: why the hell did Banpresto have to go and make Quess and Gyunei so good in SRWD? The moment they hit 110 morale, Twin Funnel horror is unleashed on all comers.

Also, holy crap Daltanias.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-10, 12:45 AM
Puru/Purutwo Twin Funnel Horror is much cuter. The mechs, too.

Drascin
2009-07-10, 12:48 AM

I always try to never DM a game I haven't at least played before to get a feel for it, but if you need players, give me a call. My life as of late is sorely lacking in mecha.

UltraDude
2009-07-10, 12:58 AM
Puru/Purutwo Twin Funnel Horror is much cuter. The mechs, too.

Still early in the game, so no Puru yet. Gives me something to look forward to! Which is nice in a game where I can't even read what the plot is.

So, Kamille in Sazabi: opinions?

Mattarias, King.
2009-07-10, 01:32 AM
:smallconfused: Can anyone recommend an awesome anime/manga to me? Preferably something with violence, but minimal gore. (:smallsigh: Ugh. I tried Berserk.. Too much on the guts and stuff there. Blech.)

-Hotblooded and/or giant robots are also huge pluses. I just finished rewatching G Gundam and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. ..In both languages. :smallredface: I've run out of ideas..

But I'm open to anything really. As long as the ick factor doesn't go past, say.. End of Evangelion. ..:smallsigh: Gods, why did I get myself thinking aout that again..

*Scurries off to look for brain soap..*

UltraDude
2009-07-10, 01:39 AM
Crossbone Gundam (not an anime): Not the highest action-quotient in the franchise, but shockingly hot blooded for UC era Gundam; the main character puts most of the timeline to shame simply by being really hardcore. Despite being pretty young and shrimpy, he does some pretty badass stuff.

Read the Skull Heart sidestories to it too. Lighter fare with some cool mechs.

Gaogaigar is one of the big super robot shows as well; the first half can be very formulaic monster-of-the-week, but once the plot hits stride it moves along at a good pace, and the action is pretty cool.

Black Lagoon isn't mechs - the characters are probably more realistically skilled than in Cowboy Bebop, and is bit dark and squicky at times, but the action is crazy, the cast is... nuts, and if you like dark humor you'll probably laugh.

Cubey
2009-07-10, 01:48 AM
Actually, if I recall my spoilers correctly

Dominic and Anemone make it out okay, so really, it's just that the Power of Love only works for starfish.

Yeah, Asuka and Shinji survive and live happily ever after. But they did not need Power of Love to have a happy ending... that much.

From what I know about Black Lagoon and Mattarias, the former might be a bit too dark and violent for the latter.

Attilargh
2009-07-10, 02:34 AM
I'll second GaoGaiGar, and also recommend Martian Successor Nadesico even though I still haven't finished watching it. Basquash is also pretty good.

Poison_Fish
2009-07-10, 05:54 AM
I've watched pocketfull of rainbows. It was decent, though not as good as the series in my opinion. Also D'awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

nothingclever
2009-07-10, 09:38 AM
:smallconfused: Can anyone recommend an awesome anime/manga to me? Preferably something with violence, but minimal gore. (:smallsigh: Ugh. I tried Berserk.. Too much on the guts and stuff there. Blech.)

-Hotblooded and/or giant robots are also huge pluses. I just finished rewatching G Gundam and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. ..In both languages. :smallredface: I've run out of ideas..

But I'm open to anything really. As long as the ick factor doesn't go past, say.. End of Evangelion. ..:smallsigh: Gods, why did I get myself thinking aout that again..

*Scurries off to look for brain soap..*
Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It's great and it has violence and some gore but it's always tasteful or hilarious if not both. Two sides are fighting each other in space so there's automatically plenty of violence but it's mostly ships being blown up which isn't gory. On the other hand there are many epic scenes where boarding crews infiltrate an important area and fight with axes in melee combat with the defenders since technology is used that makes their guns ineffective and they have to be careful not to damage the ship with them. Ship explosions are sometimes gory but they are often hilarious because they'll be used to show the tragedy of war. Here and there you see commanders give epic speeches and convince their crew members to flee their ships while they stay on them and die with their guts hanging out. You also see cheese where family members talk about being reunited with their loved ones and then their ship gets vaporized. Other people get burned to death by fires as their ship slowly breaks down or they are crushed under parts that collapse. In the ship boarding axe fights there's a scene where a guy's head gets split open and you see his brain slip out. Plenty of people are nearly cut in half but those deaths aren't in slow motion or done in some other excessively gruesome way.

You may think it's all insanely gory but it really isn't. That's a very very very small part of the show. You don't see a million back to back terribly gory scenes. The stuff is also spread throughout over 100 episodes. Politics, intrigue and character development in general take up a much larger chunk of the series but a lot of what happens in these areas relates to the wars with the violence you're looking for.

I say the gory boarding/ship exploding scenes are hilarious because on one hand they can be contrived at times but on the other hand you have to remember that the things shown probably would happen in real life. Hundreds of ships are destroyed in a single battle. All the people that die aren't going to have quick minimally painful deaths. Some inevitably are going to have nasty and epic last moments. Every ship has a commander so if hundreds are dying one giving a good speech or acting selfless isn't a stretch.

Many bloody scenes will probably have you thinking "wow that's cool" or "wow that's funny" instead of "ewww I won't be able to sleep for the next 3 days" if that's what you're worried about.

Basquash
I highly suspect this show is an overflowing bucket of fail because of the premise even though I haven't watched it yet but I do like its ops and eds.

Attilargh
2009-07-10, 12:08 PM
No, really, it's actually pretty good. The games are well-animated and exciting, the characters are interesting, the humour is pretty funny (and not all just hilariously gratuitous fanservice), and there even was some character development last episode!

And yeah, great ops and eds.

darkblade
2009-07-10, 01:27 PM
Damnit Kyoto! Haven't you had enough of the Haruhi time loop yet?

We get it that this is tiresome for Yuki but the audience will only tolerate so much abuse. Seriously four episodes so far and at least one more and this is before Disappearance which presumably is the main arc has even started yet. Seriously just let Kyon tell Haruhi he needs to do his homework already!

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-10, 01:33 PM
Seriously?

Yeah.

Not buying the DVDs of this season.

Not watching it fansubbed either until we get to the main plot. Tell me when we get to The Melancholy of Yuki Nagato already.

Attilargh
2009-07-10, 01:35 PM
Speaking of things with no plot, Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is pretty good. No surprises there, in other words. Nice op and ed.

kamikasei
2009-07-10, 01:44 PM
Wow, this is getting ridiculous.

Fri
2009-07-10, 02:37 PM
Speaking of things with no plot, Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is pretty good. No surprises there, in other words. Nice op and ed.

It's out already? WHY NOBODY EVER TELL ME THESE THINGS!

I'm in despair...

nothingclever
2009-07-10, 02:43 PM
I love these time loop episodes. I heard somewhere that there would only be 4 but now I know there's at least five since the 4th one had no resolution which means there will probably be 8 episodes in the arc total as the title suggested. There's already more than half of 8 of these episodes so why wouldn't there be 3 more after the 5th? It's hilarious to me how people tried to justify sitting through blatant filler initially. Now there's simply nothing to argue. Who cares if Haruhi's kimono has a different pattern or Yuki picks a different mask? At the end of the day it's all terrible filler. What can possibly happen in the coming episodes to justify wasting 4 so far? I've also heard from novel readers that the next likely arc is a weak one that will probably be stretched out as well. I'm glad this fail train of episodes just keeps picking up steam so less people talk about how great they think Haruhi is.

kamikasei
2009-07-10, 02:51 PM
It's hilarious to me how people tried to justify sitting through blatant filler initially. Now there's simply nothing to argue.

Yes, of course. Because it's not as if something that gets dragged out over five pointless episodes hasn't thrown away the benefit of the doubt that it merited when it was one fun and acknowledged bit of filler to set up what looked like a two-part story.

That we're fed up with KyoAni now does not vindicate you retroactively. It just indicates that a stopped pessimist is right twice a day.

Drascin
2009-07-10, 03:11 PM
I'm glad this fail train of episodes just keeps picking up steam so less people talk about how great they think Haruhi is.

Why would they? Haruhi is still great, and one of the best series I've watched. This is just a fail arc in an otherwise almost spotless record.

So, you know, we're just disgruntled. We're still fanboys, my friend :smallbiggrin:.

Prime32
2009-07-10, 03:14 PM
I love these time loop episodes. I heard somewhere that there would only be 4 but now I know there's at least five since the 4th one had no resolution which means there will probably be 8 episodes in the arc total as the title suggested. There's already more than half of 8 of these episodes so why wouldn't there be 3 more after the 5th? It's hilarious to me how people tried to justify sitting through blatant filler initially. Now there's simply nothing to argue. Who cares if Haruhi's kimono has a different pattern or Yuki picks a different mask? At the end of the day it's all terrible filler. What can possibly happen in the coming episodes to justify wasting 4 so far? I've also heard from novel readers that the next likely arc is a weak one that will probably be stretched out as well. I'm glad this fail train of episodes just keeps picking up steam so less people talk about how great they think Haruhi is.I read this as "People are unhappy. This pleases me."

nothingclever
2009-07-10, 03:47 PM
Yes, of course. Because it's not as if something that gets dragged out over five pointless episodes hasn't thrown away the benefit of the doubt that it merited when it was one fun and acknowledged bit of filler to set up what looked like a two-part story.

That we're fed up with KyoAni now does not vindicate you retroactively. It just indicates that a stopped pessimist is right twice a day.
I'm not looking for vindication. I'm enjoying being right about something. It wasn't only one part when I first commented. Two bad episodes had passed with no sign of conclusion in sight. How many episodes do you reasonably need to give a series the benefit of the doubt with largely selfcontained storylines to finally decide one arc sucks? Sounds like you're looking for vindication by calling me a pessimist. Well played old bean but your ruse isn't clever enough to fool me or inspector Kun-Kun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/nothingclever/Detective-Kun-Kun01.png

Poison_Fish
2009-07-10, 04:13 PM
I'm not looking for vindication. I'm enjoying being right about something.

So, vindication.

nothingclever
2009-07-10, 05:09 PM
So, vindication.
Wow good job buddy. You really got me there with your thinly veiled insult. Boy am I reeling from your rapier wit. Your thrusts are like quicksilver. I don't know if I can recover after that verbal blade slid right through my ribcage and eviscerated my soft defenseless ego.

Dispozition
2009-07-10, 05:14 PM
I'm honestly not minding too much about the filler eps of haruhi...Seriously. I'm just weird like that. I couldn't marathon in, I'd go crazy, but watching one a week is fine with me.

Also, Ergo Proxy = awesome. Same style as Texhnolyze (which I still need to finish) and Serial Experiments Lain (which I also need to finish)...

nothingclever
2009-07-10, 05:48 PM
I'm really enjoying Umineko no Naku Koro ni/When Seagulls Cry. The grandfather butchering the pronunciation of Beatrice dramatically was great and Maria is pure lulz. I loved the slap scene and the demented faces she makes afterwards. It's like a refreshing new version of Higurashi on an island.

littlebottom
2009-07-10, 05:54 PM
sorry to randomly break the conversation, but i just finished watching chobits, and here is my reaction for those who care

the begining was good, it was funny, it was entertaining, it made you want to watch more, and there did indeed seem to be an underlying plot ready to thicken at a moments notice... but i felt that it ended poorly, there was several things i felt were never resolved.

towards the end, the fun had largely drained out of the series and it was much more serious, kinda too serious for how it began... and too serious to justify leaving too many loose ends, it could either have ended seriously explaining everything or it could have kept a bit more of a light hearted approach and then no one would care that they left bits out.

all togeather though, i enjoyed watching it, and it made me laugh. Chii's development was the driving force for most of the laughter, her misnaming things, or things people found as taboo she openly talked about.

when Chii wasnt trying to learn something new, then hideki was busy trying to find her because she had gone missing for one reason or another. which i didnt enjoy, because it all felt too simmilar by the end of the series.

i dont know what you guys think though, i felt it was overall good, just random adding of characters and all the plot twists almost at once or in short succesion, draining the fun out of it...

i would like to know what other people thought of it though.

i think i didnt mention anything spoiler worthy, but i spoilered it just incase

Kris Strife
2009-07-10, 06:00 PM
I read this as "People are unhappy. This pleases me."

In all fairness, I have said exactly this on more than one occasion. Occasionally, hearing people grumble about something you A) don't like, or B) couldn't care less about, is quite amusing.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-10, 07:26 PM
Ditto. To be fair, I'd rather hear people complain about a series I like than hear people gush about series I don't like.

Which is why the Haruhi fanboys are annoying me more than nothingclever ever could. No offense or anything, that just the way things are.

nothingclever
2009-07-10, 07:30 PM
I read this as "People are unhappy. This pleases me."
That sounds awfully negative, almost like you're being a
pessimist

All I'm saying is I like how I'm given all these excuses for two sucky episodes like maybe I have bads subs and don't understand the story, maybe I'm just looking to hate on the series, maybe I can't grasp the apparently extremely complex concept of a setup, maybe I should just have really low standards and be ok with having the same scenes reanimated with barely anything new, maybe I'm just a pessimist and so on and then when they see the same episode repeated a third time they finally admit the previous two were bad and unwarranted. Where's the logic? Something only sucks after you've sat through it a third time?

13_CBS
2009-07-10, 07:33 PM
Well, the latest chapter of FMA just came out on onemanga.

Is it just me, or does every new chapter of FMA feel like pure awesome?

nothingclever
2009-07-10, 07:35 PM
Well, the latest chapter of FMA just came out on onemanga.

Is it just me, or does every new chapter of FMA feel like pure awesome?
I feel the same way. I don't even know what to say. I just really enjoy it. I don't find anything about it specifically spectacular but I don't have any complaints either.

Poison_Fish
2009-07-10, 07:36 PM
Wow good job buddy. You really got me there with your thinly veiled insult. Boy am I reeling from your rapier wit. Your thrusts are like quicksilver. I don't know if I can recover after that verbal blade slid right through my ribcage and eviscerated my soft defenseless ego.

D'awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, so cute.

In other news, I'm filling the holes in my experience with the gundam-verse. I'm currently following Turn-A with Laura(who shall remain Laura to me forever). Following that, I'll only have Z, ZZ, and X left. Along with some scattered manga(Crossbone, Unicorn) I'm sure.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-10, 07:36 PM
Almost. Almost. 96 started to defuse the tension majorly with Briggs. I'm starting to get the feel that they're almost God Mode Sues, with how quickly and efficiently they kill everything in their way. A lot of the anxiety and feeling of being surrounded on all sides by an evil conspiracy that made the manga good in the first place is being lost, now that the bad guys are almost all out of commission.

That said, I still haven't read the latest chapter yet, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

13_CBS
2009-07-10, 07:38 PM
now that the bad guys are almost all out of commission.

A HA HA HA HA HA

(Not quite. :smallwink:)

nothingclever
2009-07-10, 07:46 PM
D'awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, so cute.

Once again, nice attempt at trivializing what I say. You're the one that sounds cute. Have fun being dismissive and condescending because you have nothing substantial to say. Really, are you just trying to insinuate you're older than me and that I'm an immature child when you don't even know much of anything about me? I don't need to insult you if you're going to debase yourself anyway.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-10, 07:48 PM
A HA HA HA HA HA

(Not quite. :smallwink:)

Yes, I take that back.

Crap, why did I post that before reading the chapter...?

...Please ignore the above post as the brain-fart of over-analyzing fan. FMA has once again proven why it's the best shonen manga out there.

Poison_Fish
2009-07-10, 07:51 PM
Once again, nice attempt at trivializing what I say. You're the one that sounds cute. Have fun being dismissive and condescending because you have nothing substantial to say.

What, you mean trivializing your trivial sarcasm?

Sorry to say, your baby seal is distracting.

Honestly, I read you as attempting to pull a "I told you so" with the recent string of Haruhi episodes.

I mean look at.

I'm glad this fail train of episodes just keeps picking up steam so less people talk about how great they think Haruhi is

That's grade A pure stuff there.

nothingclever
2009-07-10, 07:57 PM
What, you mean trivializing your trivial sarcasm?

Sorry to say, your baby seal is distracting.

You know what you're attempting to do. I shouldn't have to explain it to you.

Honestly, I read you as attempting to pull a "I told you so" with the recent string of Haruhi episodes.

I mean look at.

That's grade A pure stuff there.
What's wrong with me liking that something I feel is over hyped might actually start getting a slightly more down to Earth review? It's not really a matter of saying I told you so, I'm just glad I'm not continuing to read a bunch of excuses about the trend the show has recently taken.

Almost. Almost. 96 started to defuse the tension majorly with Briggs. I'm starting to get the feel that they're almost God Mode Sues, with how quickly and efficiently they kill everything in their way. A lot of the anxiety and feeling of being surrounded on all sides by an evil conspiracy that made the manga good in the first place is being lost, now that the bad guys are almost all out of commission.

I don't mind the Briggs guys doing so well. The regular soldiers were powerless against the homunculus and the Armstrong siblings couldn't beat Sloth without help. It's been explained that basically all the best soldiers in other divisions are working together with the Briggs team to overthrow Bradley with the help of alchemists. This chapter things appear to have taken a turn for the worse for the good guys as well.

Kaez
2009-07-10, 08:02 PM
New Bleach chapter

At least the visored / vizard are in a little better spirits about what happened to em, and are ready to dish out vengence on Aizen,all masks revealed :D. Now we just need to see their Shikai and Bankai and we'll be fine (I expect we will see many mero Cero's bein fired besides Stark, Harribel and Barragan :P)

On a side note, the filler episdoe of bleach this week was actually in manga form, just from an earlier time. I picked up Volumes 20-23 this week and reading through Volume 23 it had the filler episode in manga form. the Chapter I had was Chapter 0 according to the chapter name :P

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-10, 08:02 PM
Ditto. To be fair, I'd rather hear people complain about a series I like than hear people gush about series I don't like.See, that's just something I don't understand. I don't like to listen to complaining. Hell, I don't like to listen to people be upset. I'd much rather everyone around me was happy (even if I have to tune out the ones that are too happy).

Something only sucks after you've sat through it a third time?In this case...yeah, that's exactly what happened. One repeat, or even two at the most, would have been a perfectly reasonable way to tell this story.

nothingclever
2009-07-10, 08:09 PM
In this case...yeah, that's exactly what happened. One repeat, or even two at the most, would have been a perfectly reasonable way to tell this story.
The content of each episode so far is meager enough that everything could be condensed into 1 or 1.5 episodes with whatever the conclusion is also happening in the second episode. Like geez, cut a few frames out, make the looped stuff a little choppy which makes sense since it's a depiction of abnormal time and wrap it all up swiftly. If people are ok with 2 episodes not having a conclusion I'm guessing it's ok for everything to be done in 3 to them but I feel even that is too much. Like 2 repeats could be put into the first episode and the conclusion would be in the second episode, wouldn't that be better? Or the first episode could be one repetition slowly played out and the second episode could have another repetition sped up with less detail so it'd only take up half the episode and the last half could have the conclusion. Then each episode would stand on its own better. You want the full version of their summer activities? You watch episode 1. You want to see slight alterations of the first episode and a conclusion? Watch episode 2. I don't see why each repetition of time needs its own episode. Why suffer through one full repeat of the previous episode when you can have more content easily added in?

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-10, 08:42 PM
Actually, the "conclusion" will take all of two minutes. It's just one thing that needs to change at the very end, as Kyon is hopefully beginning to sort of perceive, that moron.

nothingclever
2009-07-10, 08:45 PM
That makes my brain hurt even more. Can you see what I mean? 2 episodes could have three condensed time loops and a conclusion. 2 episodes is way more than enough to do everything. That's why I don't see why people were ok with 2 full episode repeats and a conclusion in the upcoming third episode. When the third episode passed with no conclusion posters started to complain. They had every right to complain after watching the end of the 2nd and getting no resolution.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-10, 09:18 PM
That makes my brain hurt even more. Can you see what I mean? 2 episodes could have three condensed time loops and a conclusion. 2 episodes is way more than enough to do everything. That's why I don't see why people were ok with 2 full episode repeats and a conclusion in the upcoming third episode. When the third episode passed with no conclusion posters started to complain. They had every right to complain after watching the end of the 2nd and getting no resolution.

You have a right to whatever opinion you want. It's just people are going to disagree with you and be annoyed that you're whining.

Cubey
2009-07-10, 10:34 PM
My game's recruiting! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117915) The theme is: mix Transforming Hero shows like (in order of decreasing silliness) Power Rangers, Kamen Rider or Tekkaman Blade with angsty Evangelionesque teens-vs-creepy-aliens anime, put in a blender, set to liquify. Feel free to join if you want.

Or at least read. It took me 3 hours of nonstop work to write that stuff down. Oww my head.

tyckspoon
2009-07-10, 11:18 PM
My game's recruiting! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117915) The theme is: mix Transforming Hero shows like (in order of decreasing silliness) Power Rangers, Kamen Rider or Tekkaman Blade with angsty Evangelionesque teens-vs-creepy-aliens anime, put in a blender, set to liquify. Feel free to join if you want.

I would gladly join if I knew anything about Mutants and Masterminds beyond 'point-based d20 in a whopping huge book.'

...oh, and pretend this is something relevant to the rest of the thread.

Dispozition
2009-07-11, 12:49 AM
So, anyone watching CANAAN? Saw the first episode and it seems fairly enjoyable. I like the actiony 13 episode series.

13_CBS
2009-07-11, 12:53 AM
IIRC, Kinoko Nasu (author of Fate/STay Night, Tsukihime, and Kara no Kyoukai) had something to do with CANAAN. Maybe he produced it? Wrote it?

Dispozition
2009-07-11, 12:58 AM
IIRC, Kinoko Nasu (author of Fate/STay Night, Tsukihime, and Kara no Kyoukai) had something to do with CANAAN. Maybe he produced it? Wrote it?

He did...Not sure what though...

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-11, 12:58 AM
What? Kinoko Nasu has something to do with CANAAN?

It must be awesome! I have to go see it!

ALL HAIL THE NASUVERSE! PRAISE NASU! ON YOUR KNEES!:smalltongue:

[/fantasy] Ahh, who am I kidding. I should assume it's crap anyway before I see it.

@Nerd-O-Rama: See, I have to admit I have some resentment against the anime fans of this board. You promised me shows like Haruhi, Lucky Star, MGLN, TTGL, etc. were the greatest things evar and that everyone should watch them.

I did. I want those hours of my life back. Those shows weren't nearly worth the hype you guys gave them.

This is why I always assume that something will suck before I see it. If it's good, I'm pleasantly surprised and go on watching. If it sucks, I have a smug feeling of self satisfaction and go do something else. Getting excited about something beforehand only invites the possibility of disappointment.
*Note: only applies to fiction

13_CBS
2009-07-11, 01:07 AM
According to wikipedia... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canaan_(anime))

CANAAN is an anime television series, conceptualized by Type-Moon co-founders Kinoko Nasu and Takashi Takeuchi, based on the scenario that they created for the Nintendo Wii visual novel 428: Fūsasareta Shibuya de, which is noted for being one of the few games to be have been awarded a perfect score by games publication Famitsu.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-11, 01:21 AM
Hmmm.... alright, I'll give it a spin. I loved everything, everything by Kinoko Nasu. Anyone who can make me care about romance is already part divine anyway. Seriously, those visual novels of his are the only pieces of fiction where I actually not only enjoyed, but loved the romance between the characters. Only if he wrote the story of Valkyria Chronicles, then the plot and characters wouldn't have to make me roll sanity checks.

13_CBS
2009-07-11, 01:28 AM
Hmmm.... alright, I'll give it a spin. I loved everything, everything by Kinoko Nasu. Anyone who can make me care about romance is already part divine anyway. Seriously, those visual novels of his are the only pieces of fiction where I actually not only enjoyed, but loved the romance between the characters. Only if he wrote the story of Valkyria Chronicles, then the plot and characters wouldn't have to make me roll sanity checks.

Interesting...for me, what draws me into Nasu's works are:

1) The metaphysics/how supernatural stuff works (the Nasuverse has one of the most well-developed system of how supernatural things work and how they interact with mundane stuff).

2) The characters, supernatural or human.

Fate/Stay Night inspired me to try my hand at fanfiction, after all. :smallwink:

I never really liked his style of prose (or, at least, his style of prose translated into English), but his plot, character, and setting ideas are absolutely fantastic.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-11, 01:48 AM
To me, the characters, setting, and plot are the most important when enjoying a Type-Moon work. The metaphysics and powers are so convoluted and contradictory that I gave up trying to make any sense of it, and just settled on enjoying the fabulous story and characters he gives us.

But hey, the supernatural stuff is wonderously detailed and developed, it's a shame that I don't understand it. I could, but I'll leave that stuff for the Type-Lunatics to figure out:smalltongue:.

13_CBS
2009-07-11, 02:03 AM
Now, if only Nasu would stop taking a knife to the English language...:smallannoyed: I mean, really? Melty Blood? Melty Blood: Actress Again? WAT

Drascin
2009-07-11, 03:12 AM
I'm too lazy to answer to everything I'd want to, so I won't. Just a couple little incises:

@Nerd-O-Rama: See, I have to admit I have some resentment against the anime fans of this board. You promised me shows like Haruhi, Lucky Star, MGLN, TTGL, etc. were the greatest things evar and that everyone should watch them.

I did. I want those hours of my life back. Those shows weren't nearly worth the hype you guys gave them.

Well, of course, you realize, you're frigging weird. I mean, a man who can diss Haruhi for trying to "hamfistedly be deep" and then say he really likes Elfen Lied of all things, with a straight face, is so far outside my radius of comprehension I can't even begin to fathom you. We just didn't know that when we recommended series to you :smalltongue:.

That said, I do share your liking of the Nasuverse, even if I have to disagree in most of the romances (I mean, of course I cared a lot, but making me care is about as hard as stabbing a styrofoam wall with an adamantine sword. But I got this feeling many of them weren't exactly stellarly handled). But the characters and setting are nice enough to forgive the "...what?" moments. I'm always eager for some more Nasu works.

Or at least read. It took me 3 hours of nonstop work to write that stuff down. Oww my head.

My experience with these shows's admittedly small and I'm not exactly great at angst (well, I guess I could try to remember some of my teenage days and just enact that - though remembering that makes me horribly embarrased at myself :smallwink:), so I don't know if I should, but I'd be completely willing to get into the game if you accept me.

Cubey
2009-07-11, 03:21 AM
My experience with these shows's admittedly small and I'm not exactly great at angst (well, I guess I could try to remember some of my teenage days and just enact that - though remembering that makes me horribly embarrased at myself :smallwink:), so I don't know if I should, but I'd be completely willing to get into the game if you accept me.

Your character won't exactly have to angst for the sake of it. Just make him or her react naturally as a normal person would in such a situation - there will be enough trauma in the game, and sucker punches come free for everyone.

That being said, since I have a recrutation thread, let's move any discussion of my game there.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-07-11, 04:25 AM

I never promised anything.

Remind me what MGLN stands for? Nanoha?

Attilargh
2009-07-11, 06:37 AM
Probably.

Anyway, anyone else going to try out Tokyo Magnitude 8.0? I find the premise pretty solid (Tokyo is destroyed by a scale 8 earthquake) and it claims to have extensive SCIENCE behind the production as well. I'm really disliking the featureless character design, though, but I'll try to give it a few eps.

Dispozition
2009-07-11, 10:08 AM
Probably.

Anyway, anyone else going to try out Tokyo Magnitude 8.0? I find the premise pretty solid (Tokyo is destroyed by a scale 8 earthquake) and it claims to have extensive SCIENCE behind the production as well. I'm really disliking the featureless character design, though, but I'll try to give it a few eps.

I will be. The preview trailer thing looked sweet.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-11, 11:23 AM
I never promised anything. I try not to overhype shows, even ones I'm in the metaphorical throes of passion for - I know not everything's for everybody, I just think people should give everything a chance if they have time. I very much don't want to be a "raging fanboy" of anything, because I just can't take television that seriously, and I'm sorry if I ever came off as such, because I wasn't representing myself properly.

I should also warn you that I refer to everything I remotely enjoy as "the best thing ever". That kind of hyperbole is a habit of mine that I guess it can be hard to pick up on from scattered internet posts.

Through all this, I do still feel that Haruhi, Nanoha, and Gurren-Lagann are all very good shows, though each has its flaws (this ****ing arc, the lolicon fanservice, a total lack of originality, etc.)

Fri
2009-07-11, 12:35 PM
Now for something completely different.

Despite my irrational love of Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, I actually prefer if it's School Rumble who got a surprise third season. I've been waiting for three years for that. Sigh.

Rogue 7
2009-07-11, 01:27 PM
And despite the fact that Haruhi was the show that utterly convinced me that I was a hopeless anime fan without hope of salvation, I'd prefer a third season of Full Metal Panic.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-07-11, 01:35 PM

Despite my irrational love of Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, I actually prefer if it's School Rumble who got a surprise third season. I've been waiting for three years for that. Sigh.

And despite the fact that Haruhi was the show that utterly convinced me that I was a hopeless anime fan without hope of salvation, I'd prefer a third season of Full Metal Panic.

Seconded. Either of those would be better than 8 semi-identical episodes.

Tengu_temp
2009-07-11, 01:36 PM
What about eight semi-identical Full Metal Panic episodes?

Rogue 7
2009-07-11, 01:49 PM
If they're giant robots blowing the bejeezus out of each other? I'm cool with that.

And I thought so even before the ridiculous Endless Eight loop.

nothingclever
2009-07-11, 02:33 PM
You have a right to whatever opinion you want. It's just people are going to disagree with you and be annoyed that you're whining.
My stating an opposite opinion isn't any more like whining than other people doing the same thing.

Shades of Gray
2009-07-11, 02:35 PM

Well SZS is getting another season over in Japan, so I guess we'll get the subs in a couple of months. Depends on how dedicated the sub group is for that show.

nothingclever
2009-07-11, 02:41 PM
I wish I could like the Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei anime but the comedy from the manga just doesn't carry over well for me. I like reading little shorts that point out a bunch of silly things casually at whatever pace I choose rather than a flurry of stuff animated and shoved at me at a fast pace. Liked I watched the most recent episode of whatever season yesterday and I see the characters flying all over the place as usual and talking far too fast. Then they grab some weapons and start pulping guards to rescue their teacher because he was being confined since they thought he might give exam takers bad luck. I would've found it funny if I was somewhat prepared for that to happen and there wasn't such a ridiculous contrast between that and the rest of the episode. I know the show is supposed to be ridiculous but after a certain point things just don't jell well for me. The manga reads fine for me though.

The first episode was released by gg yesterday. Just so you know. :smallwink:
Yup, that's what I watched.

Attilargh
2009-07-11, 03:00 PM
Well SZS is getting another season over in Japan, so I guess we'll get the subs in a couple of months.
The first episode was released by gg yesterday. Just so you know. :smallwink:

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-11, 06:27 PM
Well, of course, you realize, you're frigging weird. I mean, a man who can diss Haruhi for trying to "hamfistedly be deep" and then say he really likes Elfen Lied of all things, with a straight face, is so far outside my radius of comprehension I can't even begin to fathom you. We just didn't know that when we recommended series to you :smalltongue:.

Just because Elfen Lied presents a theme that has been beaten to the ground a million times by now means that it counts as a "deep" show? Come on. Naked catgirls ripping apart people with their minds. There's no way in hell I take that show seriously.

For Nasu: I dunno, I always hate romance, and I thought all of the relationships were quite well done. I don't see what you are talking about when you speak about missteps.

For me, getting me to care about romance is like getting Failbbadon to actually conquer the Imperium, so Nasu is already some sort of god on earth to me.

13_CBS
2009-07-11, 06:38 PM
Just because Elfen Lied presents a theme that has been beaten to the ground a million times by now means that it counts as a "deep" show? Come on. Naked catgirls ripping apart people with their minds. There's no way in hell I take that show seriously.

Really? I only read the manga, but I was more drawn into the tragic themes of abuse and racism, and so I thought Elfen Lied was quite good. :smallconfused:

For Nasu: I dunno, I always hate romance, and I thought all of the relationships were quite well done. I don't see what you are talking about when you speak about missteps.

I'm not sure who you're talking to here...me? I don't think I ever said that Nasu's romances were bad (though his male protagonists might come off as a little thickheaded to some people).

Terraoblivion
2009-07-11, 08:32 PM
Any romance involving Shiro is bad. Not because he is thickheaded, but because he is a sexist bastard who yet somehow manages to get into a relationship with one of two awesome women, depending on which path we are focusing on. Two awesome women who are actively flirting with each other no less.

13_CBS
2009-07-11, 09:45 PM
but because he is a sexist bastard

:smallsigh: Yes Shirou, you should keep telling King Freaking Arthur to stay in the kitchen, since you can fight so much better.

(To his credit, though, Shirou isn't all "stay in the kitchen lol" because he's an arse, but because he cares a little too much about people, particularly women, in a...strange, twisted chivalric way.

Still sexist, though.)

who yet somehow manages to get into a relationship with one of two three, arguably four awesome women,

Fixed.

nothingclever
2009-07-11, 09:52 PM
Shirou isn't all "stay in the kitchen lol"

But that's what makes him so lovable.

13_CBS
2009-07-11, 10:04 PM
But that's what makes him so lovable.

...except he isn't "fate/stay in the kitchen" :smalltongue:

As I said, Shirou doesn't do that because he's a chauvinistic jerk, he does it out of concern for their well-being. There have been arguments that say that, because of the trauma that he barely lived through 10 years before the start of the series, he lost almost all concern for his own well-being, and thus focuses almost entirely on the well-being of others instead--this, plus watching Saber get her ass handed to her by Berserker, causes Shirou to keep Saber out of harm's way as much as possible, despite the unreasonableness off such thinking.

Terraoblivion
2009-07-11, 10:53 PM
There is the time when he grumbles about a girl from his school and wishes that she would be molested to learn humility, though. It is by all reasonable logic just hyperbole and annoyance, but it is still a freaking sexist train of thought.

13_CBS
2009-07-11, 10:55 PM
There is the time when he grumbles about a girl from his school and wishes that she would be molested to learn humility, though.

...you got me on that one. That line was just...:smallsigh:

nothingclever
2009-07-11, 10:56 PM
There is the time when he grumbles about a girl from his school and wishes that she would be molested to learn humility, though.
I'm liking this guy more and more. If Shirou didn't act like this he wouldn't be so lulz inducing.

Dispozition
2009-07-11, 10:57 PM
Question! Does anyone know of good sources for images of Mechs, preferably official as well. If so, please linkeh. Thank you.

Also, I lol'd at fate/stay in the kitchen.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-11, 11:11 PM
http://www.mahq.net/ is where I go for official art and specs; unfortunately, they usually only have one or two pics of any given unit and maybe recolors or lineart of components. It's more for the so-called technical data than images.

Nice variety, though.

Dispozition
2009-07-11, 11:14 PM
http://www.mahq.net/ is where I go for official art and specs; unfortunately, they usually only have one or two pics of any given unit and maybe recolors or lineart of components. It's more for the so-called technical data than images.

Nice variety, though.

I need it specifically for the images, but it seems good, so thanks :D

Mattarias, King.
2009-07-12, 03:19 AM
:smallsigh: Gods, I'm so bad at replying to threads.. Sorry about that... :smallredface:

But, uhm, thanks! I'll look into those anim- Aaah. SZS is getting ANOTHER season? O.o YES. that is a GREAT anime. I want the soundtrack.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-07-12, 04:29 AM
Any romance involving Shiro is bad. Not because he is thickheaded, but because he is a sexist bastard who yet somehow manages to get into a relationship with one of two awesome women, depending on which path we are focusing on.

Do you ever find any male characters sympathetic ever?

To be honest I'd probably ship yuri in a situation where there are two awesome women and one lame guy (quite common since most guys in anime are lame) as well, I just find your "kinsey scale 6 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinsey_scale)"-ish insistances interesting.

Then again, If any of the females from the Fate/Stay Night anime (only version I know) were real (or I was fictional, noo!!!) and they all asked me out, I don't think I'd say yes to any of them. They have boring personalities. Rider's hot but I'd like to actually be able to look my girlfriend in the eye and all that.

Two awesome women who are actively flirting with each other no less.

Bah, flirting means nothing. People flirt with people they have no interest in all the time.

Shiro's not a sexist bastard, he's a male chauvanist pig. The differance is that while both being idiots, pigs at least mean well.

stuff

Yeah, that. Shouldn't read the rest of the page before writing a reply.

He also has the possibility to become archer so it's not like he's a lost cause.

There have been arguments that say that, because of the trauma that he barely lived through 10 years before the start of the series, he lost almost all concern for his own well-being, and thus focuses almost entirely on the well-being of others instead--this, plus watching Saber get her ass handed to her by Berserker, causes Shirou to keep Saber out of harm's way as much as possible, despite the unreasonableness off such thinking.

Personally I just think he hates feeling useless so he tries to take a roll he has no capability to fulfill.

:smallsigh: Yes Shirou, you should keep telling King Freaking Arthur to stay in the kitchen, since you can fight so much better.

He didn't know that when he started.

In fact, he didn't know anything at the beginning, so you could excuse a little bit of his behavior on that. He didn't ask to get involved in the Holy Grail War, so he doesn't have any reason to want Saber to get beaten up instead of him.

Shrio's better than his two male friends, but one's a rapist and the other's a misogynist so they're probably just there to make him look better anyway.

Come on. Naked catgirls ripping apart people with their minds. There's no way in hell I take that show seriously.

Then you are weak :smallwink:

Really? I only read the manga, but I was more drawn into the tragic themes of abuse and racism, and so I thought Elfen Lied was quite good. :smallconfused:

Yeah, something like that.

As someone who tried to write a romance novel I'll say that I don't blame all those people who've messed up writing romance.

Killersquid
2009-07-12, 04:36 AM
There is the time when he grumbles about a girl from his school and wishes that she would be molested to learn humility, though. It is by all reasonable logic just hyperbole and annoyance, but it is still a freaking sexist train of thought.

And this why Fate Route was the worst route. Too much...weird chivalry and idiotic moves.

Cubey
2009-07-12, 04:47 AM
There are male characters Terra likes (does Loran count?), Shirou is just her berserk button.

nothingclever
2009-07-12, 05:48 AM
he is a sexist bastard

he's a male chauvanist pig.
At least Shirou has conviction and understands the importance of a life.
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1735/ppldieiftheyarekilledxi.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/i/ppldieiftheyarekilledxi.jpg/)

Closet_Skeleton
2009-07-12, 06:17 AM
At least Shirou has conviction and understands the importance of a life.
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1735/ppldieiftheyarekilledxi.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/i/ppldieiftheyarekilledxi.jpg/)

I don't know whether to correct you or just accept that the meme is probably more entertaining than the show.

Prime32
2009-07-12, 07:03 AM
First, I've only watched the F/SN anime, though I've picked up a decent amount about the game.

Shirou doesn't have any real problem with Tohsaka fighting. From what I hear, in the routes where he loves someone other than Saber, he has no problem with Saber fighting either, and he never sees anything wrong with Rider and Caster. That's not sexism, that's going too far in trying to protect the person he loves. Shirou goes too far in everything.

I should also note that Shirou doesn't die when he is killed. :smalltongue:

Shades of Gray
2009-07-12, 09:22 AM
I just started Elfen Lied. Seems pretty good so far. The only major beef I have with it so far is that the opening theme or whatever is really... boring. Some series I watch the opening every time because it's so good (Lucky Star, etc.) But I always skip this one.

13_CBS
2009-07-12, 10:17 AM
I just started Elfen Lied. Seems pretty good so far. The only major beef I have with it so far is that the opening theme or whatever is really... boring. Some series I watch the opening every time because it's so good (Lucky Star, etc.) But I always skip this one.

The opening animation or the music?

Yeah, that. Shouldn't read the rest of the page before writing a reply.

:smallconfused: I don't quite get what you're trying to say here.

Personally I just think he hates feeling useless so he tries to take a roll he has no capability to fulfill.

An interesting idea, but I don't think there's any evidence in the game or the anime to support that (I dunno about the manga).

He didn't know that when he started.

That's true, but it's so fun beating up on Shirou when we have metaknowledge. :smallbiggrin:

(I must recommend the visual novel to everyone, sans the hentai scenes...those were...just weird.)

Tengu_temp
2009-07-12, 10:44 AM

I personally think that the symbolic and creepy opening was the best part of Elfen Lied.

Shades of Gray
2009-07-12, 10:50 AM
The animation combined with the music. It's creepy and cool once, but I don't want to sit through that 13 times while waiting to see what happens next.

Prime32
2009-07-12, 12:22 PM
(I must recommend the visual novel to everyone, sans the hentai scenes...those were...just weird.)
How does Réalta Nua compare to the original?

nothingclever
2009-07-12, 12:24 PM
Elfen Lied always reminds of this (http://manga.clone-army.org/nana.php) and the awesome high powered gun guy.

Terraoblivion
2009-07-12, 12:26 PM
There are lots of male characters i like. In fact i'd say i like most male characters and in some cases, such as Firefly, i prefer the male cast over the female in most cases. I just really loathe Shirou, the guy has no redeeming features. He is stupid, chivalric in the most chauvenist way, has the depth of one of the puddles after it rains and his improved version that everyone seems to love is just a jackass. That guy is the reason that i couldn't get through Fate/Stay Night.

As for my extreme preference for yuri, it is mostly just joking. It is basically fun to ship characters and why not choose the sexiest of the couples available? I would also like to point out that there are a fair amount of heterosexual couples that i care about. Kyon/Haruhi and Sousuke/Kaname are the two that springs to mind most easily, but i am sure there are others.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-12, 12:32 PM
Don't forget Kati/Patrick.

Although we're already into blasphemy if you like any of the guys from Firefly over Kaylee. Maybe her brand of adorableness doesn't work on women?

Tengu_temp
2009-07-12, 12:38 PM
It's probably about humour (Joss likes drama, but he's simply much better at comedy) - Kaylee's nowhere near as funny as Jayne or Wash.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-12, 12:43 PM
She gets in her one-liners. Though having seen Serenity first makes me biased in that regard, as she has two of the five best lines in the movie (two quite naturally belonging to Jayne and one to Mal - Wash gets shafted relative to the series).

See what I did there?

nothingclever
2009-07-12, 12:43 PM
yuri

Pshhh, I'll take my yaoi Loveless anime over yuri any day. That show was epically cheesy in so many ways.

Terraoblivion
2009-07-12, 01:05 PM
Don't get me wrong, Nerdo. Kaylee is adorable, but she just has nothing in terms of funny on the guys. And the fun is what makes Firefly good, so she comes off weaker than them. I like Kaylee, but i like the guys more because they are funnier. Also i didn't like Serenity much, in general.

Neko Toast
2009-07-12, 01:10 PM
So, who here actually has a 'Jayne Hat', or the hat he received in the mail, in their closet?

... *raises hand* My friend's mom knitted it for me. It is quite comfy during the winter.

nothingclever
2009-07-12, 03:20 PM
Ugh, I'd never wear such a thing. I also never wear hats of any kind under any circumstances. I just let my body adapt to the icy tundra that is Canada during the winter.

Shades of Gray
2009-07-12, 03:21 PM
Ditto. Never really saw the point in hats.

Attilargh
2009-07-12, 03:42 PM
Y'know. Call me weird if you like, but I'm actually enjoying Endless Eight a lot. It's not even because of the hilariously absurd premise of "let's make the same episode X times and see if we can get away with it". Well, partly. I mean, it is hilarious, but I'm having fun unrelated to that. I can't put my finger on why, but I was grinning like a maniac through the last episode. And why not, I watched Code Geass R2 through back when it aired, I can sit through eight eps of beautiful Kyoto animation and Tomokazu Sugita's soothing voice. :smallbiggrin: (Haruhi's hair was so cuuute in the last ep!)

Of course, in the next episode everything's probably already resolved and everyone's like "man wat" and I'm like "haha, wat". That, or they drag it out for three more eps and then resolve it because everyone's expecting the resolution to come in the eighth episode. Could go either way, really.

Anyway, I'm off to serve in the Army so I won't be posting very much for the next few months. See you guys when I come back and...

Play my gaaaame! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117758) *jumps into a mecha and flees*

13_CBS
2009-07-12, 03:46 PM
. I just really loathe Shirou, the guy has no redeeming features. He is stupid, chivalric in the most chauvenist way, has the depth of one of the puddles after it rains and his improved version that everyone seems to love is just a jackass. That guy is the reason that i couldn't get through Fate/Stay Night..

Hmm...perhaps the anime portrays him that way, but the Shirou I know of from the visual novel is in no way deep as a puddle of rain.

Terraoblivion
2009-07-12, 04:21 PM
I am talking about the visual novel. He shows no depth, intelligence or even genuine care for anything but his self-image as a hero for the first eight hours before i grew too frustrated by him to go on.

KnightDisciple
2009-07-12, 04:40 PM

1.)Fashion. A proper top hat with a suit looks dashing. A cowboy hat, jeans, and a flannel shirt make you fit in at the ranch. Etc.

2.)Functionality. A ballcap keeps the sun off your eyes. A good broad-brimmed, waterproof hat helps keep your head dry, especially good if you have glasses. A good wool cap of some sort keeps your ears from freezing; if the wind blows, it tends to irritate them horribly. It's even better to have one if you've been sick in the winter (like I have).

3.)A statement. Man walks down the street in that hat, you know he's not afraid of anything.:smallwink:

13_CBS
2009-07-12, 04:43 PM
I am talking about the visual novel. He shows no depth, intelligence or even genuine care for anything but his self-image as a hero for the first eight hours before i grew too frustrated by him to go on.

Really? Even in Rin's and Sakura's routes?

That is, unfortunately, a main theme in Nasu's works--all of his male leads are more or less idiot heroes. However, I did find Shirou's journey to figure out how to merge his ideals with reality to be deep enough to keep me interested, but I guess Fate/Stay Night's not your cup of tea?

How about Kara no Kyoukai? I found myself enjoying the movie series quite a bit. Or Fate/Zero? It's only a light novel, but the action in Fate/Zero is even more intense than in Fate/Stay Night.

Drascin
2009-07-12, 04:45 PM
1.)Fashion. A proper top hat with a suit looks dashing. A cowboy hat, jeans, and a flannel shirt make you fit in at the ranch. Etc.

2.)Functionality. A ballcap keeps the sun off your eyes. A good broad-brimmed, waterproof hat helps keep your head dry, especially good if you have glasses. A good wool cap of some sort keeps your ears from freezing; if the wind blows, it tends to irritate them horribly. It's even better to have one if you've been sick in the winter (like I have).

3.)A statement. Man walks down the street in that hat, you know he's not afraid of anything.:smallwink:

You forgot the most important point.

A nice hat is a +6 to all social rolls against Jägermonsters. And isn't befriending a Jägermonster a dream of us all?

Really? Even in Rin's and Sakura's routes?

That is, unfortunately, a main theme in Nasu's works--all of his male leads are more or less idiot heroes.

I didn't dislike Shiki much, myself. Okay, so guy needs some genre savvyness yesterday, but he was decent enough when he wasn't being possessed by his evil side/horrible monster stepbrother/enough drugs to kill a bear/charm spells/etcetera (Shiki, dude, invest in a Mind Blank spell. You need it).

KnightDisciple
2009-07-12, 04:47 PM
You forgot the most important point.

A nice hat is a +6 to all social rolls against Jägermonsters. And isn't befriending a Jägermonster a dream of us all?

*Facepalm* You're utterly right. I can't believe I forgot that.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-07-12, 05:05 PM
:smallconfused: I don't quite get what you're trying to say here.

I'm saying that I was saying the same stuff you were saying. Simple really.

I only wear a hat because I have an awesome one.

My second hand knowledge of visual novels implied to me that the protagonists all tend to be boring player avatars.

Or maybe that's only true of the bad ones.

That was a problem I had with my novel, it's first person but for the first 200 pages the heroine has no personality what so ever. Which is what I get for trying to avoid angst and mary sue traits.

If you ask me, the protagonist of every computer game should be replaced with Garret from Thief.

Terraoblivion
2009-07-12, 05:11 PM
Shirou has a personality and isn't really a boring player avatar. The problem is that the personality he has is one that feelings of go from mild dislike to blind, murderous hate. So really, boring player avatar would be a step up for him.

Dispozition
2009-07-12, 05:25 PM
Elfen Lied always reminds of this (http://manga.clone-army.org/nana.php) and the awesome high powered gun guy.

Where has this been all my life. I's both horrible, amazingly cute, and funny at the same time. Perfect!

nothingclever
2009-07-12, 06:02 PM
I'm glad you like it.

Anyways, if you really want to make a statement and be cool you could always do this instead of wearing an actual hat: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/nothingclever/hair-hat.jpg

Dispozition
2009-07-12, 06:09 PM
I'm glad you like it.

Anyways, if you really want to make a statement and be cool you could always do this instead of wearing an actual hat: *frohat*

I'm glad I like it as well...And it's made me want to watch the series again...Especially since I have enough time to do it today >.>

Also, that image is way old...it's one of the first things I saw on the internet!

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-12, 07:53 PM
I do not understand you, Terraoblivion. You bash Fate/Stay Night for having an unlikeable avatar for which all relationships involving him you despise, and yet you love the story of Valkyria Chronicles, where more or less everyone on the good guys' side are even more annoying than him.

I... I just don't know what to say.

Shirou only really is sexist in the Fate route towards Saber, and then it was only unconsciously to protect her from harm. In Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel, he has no problem letting Rin and Rider into harm. No, it's only that the Fate route was the worst, so Shirou acts like the biggest idiot there.

13_CBS
2009-07-12, 08:02 PM
Terra complains that Shirou is a shallow, flat character, and I'd have to disagree with him, mostly because of the events in Unlimited Blade Works (I have yet to read Heaven's Feel, but I highly suspect that it expands on Shirou's character even more).

Terraoblivion
2009-07-12, 08:03 PM
Different views of what is annoying, obviously. And my view seems to be more representative of people who have played the game than your.

And Shirou is not an avatar he is a main character. Yes, you occasionally get to make a choice for him, but most of the time there is the right choice that continues the story and the wrong one that ends it, meaning that you have almost no actual influence. He is a main character and an incredibly unlikeable one at that.

EDIT: And i'd prefer if you used the proper pronoun for me, CBS. My gender is visible after all.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-12, 08:05 PM
Yes, you occasionally get to make a choice for him, but most of the time there is the right choice that continues the story and the wrong one that ends it, meaning that you have almost no actual influence.Incidentally, this is why I can never be bothered to play visual novels. It's the dissonance between the fact that it presents itself as a game and the fact that it's really a mediocre novel with images and scrolling text.

13_CBS
2009-07-12, 08:13 PM
Incidentally, this is why I can never be bothered to play visual novels. It's the dissonance between the fact that it presents itself as a game and the fact that it's really a mediocre novel with images and scrolling text.

Perhaps, but in the case of Nasu's Visual Novels, I do appreciate how information is conveyed through the use of multiple routes. Very much like a "choose-your-own-ending" book.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-12, 08:14 PM
Different views of what is annoying, obviously. And my view seems to be more representative of people who have played the game than yours here.

Fixed. Most people I talk who've played both love Fate/Stay Night, and hate Valkyria Chronicles.

And it says it's a visual novel. Visual novel. There's a difference between a novel and a game, if you don't know. Duh your actions have little impact on the story. Just shut up and enjoy it.

Cubey
2009-07-12, 08:17 PM
Well LoR, we already established that you live in Super SERIOUS BUSINESS Land, where people with such unusual tastes reign that compared to them, you are laidback and so lacking in the criticism department that you enjoy everything, even stuff that is really, really bad.

Or was it nothingclever?

This is not a personal attack, rather showing that just because people from your surroundings have some kind of an opinion, doesn't mean it's a popular one everywhere. I should know, because the anime fandom in Poland is horrible - it's 60% kids who only enjoy neverending shonen stories like Bleach or Naruto, 35% GRIMDARK fanboys who dislike anything that has non-black humour in it or, gasp, a happy ending or a positive protagonist, and only 5% everything else.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-12, 08:21 PM
And it says it's a visual novel. Visual novel. There's a difference between a novel and a game, if you don't know. Duh your actions have little impact on the story. Just shut up and enjoy it.I understand that. It's just that reading one paragraph of tiny badly-translated text at a time on a screen against a colored background makes me feel like I should be playing a game, you know?

13_CBS
2009-07-12, 08:21 PM
Fixed. Most people I talk who've played both love Fate/Stay Night, and hate Valkyria Chronicles.

But...I liked Valkyria Chronicles...:smallfrown:

And it says it's a visual novel. Visual novel. There's a difference between a novel and a game, if you don't know. Duh your actions have little impact on the story. Just shut up and enjoy it.

Well, that was a little harsh...

Anyhow, in Fate/Stay Night and Tsukihime, the choices are there to convey extra information that you otherwise might not get. A minor example would be when, early on in Fate/Stay Night (I forget which route...maybe UBW?), Shirou gets captured by Ilya and gets turned into a Projection wand/device thingy, so Rin has to mercy-kill him.

Edit:

I understand that. It's just that reading one paragraph of tiny badly-translated text at a time on a screen against a colored background makes me feel like I should be playing a game, you know?

Just wondering, but would you say that Mirror Moon's translations of Nasu's stuff is also bad?

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-12, 08:22 PM
Well LoR, we already established that you live in Super SERIOUS BUSINESS Land, where people with such unusual tastes reign that compared to them, you are laidback and so lacking in the criticism department that you enjoy everything, even stuff that is really, really bad.

Or was it nothingclever?

This is not a personal attack, rather showing that just because people from your surroundings have some kind of an opinion, doesn't mean it's a popular one everywhere. I should know, because the anime fandom in Poland is horrible - it's 60% kids who only enjoy neverending shonen stories like Bleach or Naruto, 35% GRIMDARK fanboys who dislike anything that has non-black humour in it or, gasp, a happy ending or a positive protagonist, and only 5% everything else.

Not just Hong Kong. Also my friends in San Diego and Minnesota, where SERIOUS BUSINESS is something to be pitied.

I'm just getting fed up that whenever I voice a different opinion, you tell me to shut up, while mocking my views at the same time.

13_CBS
2009-07-12, 08:24 PM
Hey, now, we're all fans of Japanese cartoons and whatnot. Why don't we go back to poking fun at those things instead of each other?

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-12, 08:27 PM
They started it.

13_CBS
2009-07-12, 08:33 PM
They started it.

And? :smalltongue:

'Tis the mark of a gentleman to not rise to such petty insults.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-12, 08:34 PM
Funny. I'm still an adolescent.

Terraoblivion
2009-07-12, 08:43 PM
It is not just here, LoR. During a fit of obsession with the game i read pretty much every review of Valkyria Chronicles on the internet, including quite a few comments and reader reviews. Out of the hundred or so opinions i read over the course of this, perhaps ten people did not like the plot and the characters. Mind you, this is still anecdotal evidence and might not reflect on the majority opinions of those who played the game. However, it is more than just the people of these boards.

Also i have not met anybody who disliked Fate/Stay Night. I like everything about it except for Shirou and that i never finished it reflects pretty badly on him in that case.

Cubey
2009-07-12, 08:46 PM
I'm just getting fed up that whenever I voice a different opinion, you tell me to shut up, while mocking my views at the same time.

Oh really? If that's how you feel then...
I guess I should apologize.
I am sorry if that's the impression you get from my posts. I generally try to accept views that are different than mine, so I try not to seriously argue with people who disagree with me. The exception is when they try to present their subjective *opinion* as an objective *fact*, or if I get an impression they are voicing their opinion just to antagonize those with a different one (which would be an equivalent of coming to a Naruto thread only to write "Naruto sucks"). Even then, I don't tell them to shut up, just poke fun at their opinion.
So unless you were trying to do any of these two, then my apologies.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-12, 08:51 PM
Oh really? If that's how you feel then...
I guess I should apologize.
I am sorry if that's the impression you get from my posts. I generally try to accept views that are different than mine, so I try not to seriously argue with people who disagree with me. The exception is when they try to present their subjective *opinion* as an objective *fact*, or if I get an impression they are voicing their opinion just to antagonize those with a different one (which would be an equivalent of coming to a Naruto thread only to write "Naruto sucks"). Even then, I don't tell them to shut up, just poke fun at their opinion.
So unless you were trying to do any of these two, then my apologies.

Apology accepted. Sorry if I was getting on everyone else's nerves.

It's just kinda hard when you're surrounded by total inflexible ***holes all day during the school year, and when I finally get home, I feel everyone is just trying to shut me up.

@Terraoblivion: I never said that only people here like Valkyria Chronicles. I was just getting the impression that you thought it had universal appeal, which really gets on my nerves.

Terraoblivion
2009-07-12, 08:58 PM
Except for possibly breathing, nothing has universal appeal LoR. However, the plot of Valkyria Chronicles appears to have a very broad appeal among people who would actually be inclined to try it in the first place. Because people disliking it seems to be a marked minority. As for things like "everyone who dislikes X is insane/evil/mentally deficient" what it actually means when people say it is "i really, really loved this and wants to emphatically state it in a hopefully funny way".

Innis Cabal
2009-07-12, 08:59 PM
Also i have not met anybody who disliked Fate/Stay Night. I like everything about it except for Shirou and that i never finished it reflects pretty badly on him in that case.

Personally nothing done by Type/Moon has ever created in me an emotion other then :smallsigh:. So there is one more person to add to what seems to be a rather short list.

I liked the idea of world setting. It just seemed....like they gave it to people who all thought differently at the exact same time but didn't ever discuss it and just made the game/show desipte it all.

nothingclever
2009-07-12, 09:00 PM
Gee whiz, got some drama (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1GH92mv1cg) in here.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-12, 09:05 PM
Personally nothing done by Type/Moon has ever created in me an emotion other then :smallsigh:. So there is one more person to add to what seems to be a rather short list.

I liked the idea of world setting. It just seemed....like they gave it to people who all thought differently at the exact same time but didn't ever discuss it and just made the game/show desipte it all.

Eh. I understand how you feel. I feel the same way about Final Fantasy, Valkyria Chronicles, Haruhi, CLANNAD, etc.

Sometimes it's nice to talk about things you feel are overrated and really aren't worth the hype, no matter how much people try to shout you down.

Personally, for me, the setting takes a backseat to the characters and plot, that's what matters for me in a Type-Moon work.

@Terraoblivion: It's just that the impression I get from these boards is that you think everything you like has universal appeal, and that I'm an idiot for not liking them.

13_CBS
2009-07-12, 09:13 PM
Personally, for me, the setting takes a backseat to the characters and plot, that's what matters for me in a Type-Moon work.

Which is unfortunate, since I like the Type-Moon setting much more than I like the plot or characters :smalleek: (excepting Kohaku from Tsukihime, Sakura from F/SN, and the entirety of Kara no Kyoukai :smallconfused:)

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-12, 09:16 PM
Which is unfortunate, since I like the Type-Moon setting much more than I like the plot or characters :smalleek: (excepting Kohaku from Tsukihime, Sakura from F/SN, and the entirety of Kara no Kyoukai :smallconfused:)

Eh, it's nice that Nasu went into such detail designing his verse... but really, what's the point ogling over fictional universe anyway? The setting alone can't drive the story. The plot and the characters have to.

Unless, of course, it's WH40K, where everyone's gonna die horribly anyway, so the setting's all you have anyway.

Terraoblivion
2009-07-12, 09:17 PM
How would you measure fondness of something according to intelligence? It would be a bad idea for me to do that anyway, since i would need to engage in a lot of doublethink to explain how i tend to dislike serious literature, theater and so on, but like the essentially cheesy stories of most of the anime and video games that i like. Either i would have to consider myself stupid, which i neither want to nor think is true, or i would need to create some very strange justifications for why my personal tastes represented intelligence. If i were to be excessively arrogant about it, focusing on such intangibles as good taste or upright lifestyle would be a bit more conductive, though it would also require me to adopt a 19th century mindset that i dislike.

That said i do find your taste puzzling and hard to understand, as i see very genuine qualities in the things i like. You also haven't given which information on which to base an understanding of your dislike, making it somewhat of an enigma that is frequently brought up, but never elaborated upon.

Innis Cabal
2009-07-12, 09:19 PM
Which is unfortunate, since I like the Type-Moon setting much more than I like the plot or characters :smalleek:

See this is more or less how I feel. The world is rich and open for awesome. Its just....not used.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-12, 09:23 PM
How would you measure fondness of something according to intelligence? It would be a bad idea for me to do that anyway, since i would need to engage in a lot of doublethink to explain how i tend to dislike serious literature, theater and so on, but like the essentially cheesy stories of most of the anime and video games that i like. Either i would have to consider myself stupid, which i neither want to nor think is true, or i would need to create some very strange justifications for why my personal tastes represented intelligence. If i were to be excessively arrogant about it, focusing on such intangibles as good taste or upright lifestyle would be a bit more conductive, though it would also require me to adopt a 19th century mindset that i dislike.

That said i do find your taste puzzling and hard to understand, as i see very genuine qualities in the things i like. You also haven't given which information on which to base an understanding of your dislike, making it somewhat of an enigma that is frequently brought up, but never elaborated upon.

Idiot was more of a hyperbole, but I feel you were treating me as an outcast for just having different tastes.

Well, the same could be said for things that I like. I had given reasons in the past for my dislike of Valkyria Chronicles, for instance, but it seemed you hadn't read them. No matter what we say, we're going to be talking past each other's ear. For example, I see Shirou as strength of F/SN. He's an idiot, sure, but he's at heart a caring and good person, and the visual novel examines how his ideals of "saving everyone" would function in a world that doesn't share his kindness and mindset. On the other hand, you see him as a sexist loser without a shred of likeable qualities. What one person sees as a good quality, the other sees as a flaw.

Quite frankly, I find this entire board to have strange tastes, seeing as I share the same tastes as everyone I've met until Hong Kong.

13_CBS
2009-07-12, 09:37 PM
See this is more or less how I feel. The world is rich and open for awesome. Its just....not used.

It's definitely used, alright, given how Nasu likes to make you read several paragraphs of exposition (good and interesting exposition, but exposition nonetheless). The magic system tends to be very important to the plot, which is in turn closely connected to the characters.

Killersquid
2009-07-13, 05:35 AM
While we're on the topic of the Nasuverse without Shirou...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FateStrangeFake

New doujin game that was announced I dunno when. Started as a joke, is now real. Is in development, pray someone picks it up for translation, or start learning Japanese.

Dispozition
2009-07-13, 06:18 AM

New doujin game that was announced I dunno when. Started as a joke, is now real. Is in development, pray someone picks it up for translation, or start learning Japanese.

Do want, so hard.

Prime32
2009-07-13, 06:59 AM
My head is filled with hilarious images of improvised spells. ("Well, we don't have the blood of a True Ancestor, but we do have ketchup.")

13_CBS
2009-07-13, 07:51 AM

First reaction: WAT

Second reaction: WANT

Either the Beast's Lair folks are feeling much of the same, or they're nerd raging so hard even Shirou's convinced that he just might die.

Rogue 7
2009-07-13, 12:44 PM
So I haven't been paying attention. Just how many loops of Endless Eight are there?

kamikasei
2009-07-13, 12:46 PM
Well, there have been five episodes of Season 2 so far - Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, the non-loopy seemed-like-filler start of / prelude to Endless Eight, and then three loop episodes which haven't wrapped it up yet.

Rogue 7
2009-07-13, 12:56 PM
Right. I've only watched 2/4 Endess Eight Episodes, and I'm fairly disappointed, but good god watching people B&M is amusing. And for some reason the entire concept just makes me want to laugh hysterically.

UltraDude
2009-07-13, 01:47 PM
So, read the manga Getter Robo Go (incidentally, the only thing Getter I've actually seen/read all of), and it was awesome. Last volume was kinda trippy, but the whole ride was just the kind of super robot stuff I wanted - friggin insane. Great new cast, and they made Hayato and later Ryouma bad ass without them stealing the show, leaving the main character Gou to be really awesome. Thus, the rest of the franchise (especially New Getter Robo) has climbed up my To Watch list a bit.

There is a problem with this. It is called Getter Robo Armageddon. It has three characters from Go - Gou himself, Kei, and Gai. Well, more accurately, it has their names and appearances, only the actual characters are entirely different, and I'm afraid that I'll be too busy raging to properly enjoy Armageddon. FFFFF.

On the upside, SRWD being in Japanese means that I can pretend that the manga versions of those three are now in Black Getter (later Shin Dragon) fighting alongside Ryouma, Hayato, and Benkei.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-13, 02:10 PM
Honestly, Getter Robo continuity confuses the hell out of me. I just sort of nod along whenever it shows up in SRW, knowing that the stuff there also contradicts the TV shows and the manga, neither of which have anything to do with each other in the first place.

UltraDude
2009-07-13, 02:14 PM
Honestly, Getter Robo continuity confuses the hell out of me. I just sort of nod along whenever it shows up in SRW, knowing that the stuff there also contradicts the TV shows and the manga, neither of which have anything to do with each other in the first place.

The actual manga written by Ken Ishikawa himself is about all that has a particular continuity. Though I'd love to see how they'd handle Go in SRW, what with the way it ends.

Shin Getter absorbs its pilots, body and mind, picks up the whole Dinosaur Empire, and flies to Mars. It then terraforms Mars all by itself into a planet hospitable to them, and then I don't know what, because there's a giant stone Getter head left on Mars but Shin Getter is back at the Saotome lab in the last couple shots.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2009-07-13, 06:13 PM
Sorry if it's already been asked, but does anyone know where FMA is this week?

13_CBS
2009-07-13, 06:27 PM
For your viewing pleasure. (http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/)

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2009-07-13, 06:35 PM
Ah, I should've made myself clear. I've already had the pleasure of reading the latest chapter; I'm wondering where the anime is at.

This month's chapter was awesome though. I knew Father wouldn't go down that easily and that Bradley would come back.

Tengu_temp
2009-07-13, 06:47 PM
I haven't watched the latest episode yet, but it should be the one where Lin appears. In other words, things are going to become awesome.

Reverent-One
2009-07-13, 06:54 PM
Ah, I should've made myself clear. I've already had the pleasure of reading the latest chapter; I'm wondering where the anime is at.

Well, there's the funimation site of course, which generally has the new episode up Wednesdays.

Prime32
2009-07-14, 06:56 AM
Well, there's the funimation site of course, which generally has the new episode up Wednesdays.Not any more. I've seen RAWs of ep15, but no subs yet.

Thrawn183
2009-07-14, 05:00 PM
I watched Black Lagoon. I have to say that I preferred it to Cowboy Bebop.

13_CBS
2009-07-14, 05:03 PM
If you liked the anime, then you may also like the manga. :smallwink:

Reverent-One
2009-07-14, 05:29 PM
Not any more. I've seen RAWs of ep15, but no subs yet.

If I may direct your attention to the calandar, you will see that today is Tuesday, aka not the day Funimation normally puts up the episodes. It should be up tomorrow, thursday at the latest.

Prime32
2009-07-14, 06:07 PM
If I may direct your attention to the calandar, you will see that today is Tuesday, aka not the day Funimation normally puts up the episodes. It should be up tomorrow, thursday at the latest.
No, I mean the Brotherhood section is just a link to their parent company now.

Reverent-One
2009-07-14, 06:13 PM
No, I mean the Brotherhood section is just a link to their parent company now.

Works fine for me. (http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=280)

B-Man
2009-07-14, 06:22 PM
The problem with linking to the FUNimation site for the Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood streams is that you can only view them if you are in North America. I don't know if there are any alternatives other than fansubs outside NA atm.

Reverent-One
2009-07-14, 06:27 PM
The problem with linking to the FUNimation site for the Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood streams is that you can only view them if you are in North America. I don't know if there are any alternatives other than fansubs outside NA atm.

Ahh, I didn't know that. And from Prime32's comments, I assume you used to be able to see it outside NA?

B-Man
2009-07-14, 06:32 PM
Ahh, I didn't know that. And from Prime32's comments, I assume you used to be able to see it outside NA?

No. It has always been region blocked as FUNimation only has the rights to the property for Region 1 DVDs, or somesuch (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I think that Madman in Australia is offering free streaming for the Aussies, but for everywhere else it's fansubs or wait for someone (read: FUNimation) to release the English Dub DVDs and import them from North America.

Prime32
2009-07-15, 05:37 AM
Yes. I believe they region-locked them after someone hacked into their servers. I'm... not quite sure how that would help.

EDIT: I found a fansub... but it's an Engrish one.
Silver Alchemist: "Are you good to get the deal Silver Alchemist."
Scar: "Only scratch?"
Silver Alchemist: "You are very good, I just get it high."

hanzo66
2009-07-15, 05:37 AM
Something I found from the Something Awful Valkyria Chronicles LP: An AMV about... Jann. (http://www.viddler.com/explore/gravitypenguin/videos/112/)

Thrawn183
2009-07-15, 12:55 PM
If you liked the anime, then you may also like the manga. :smallwink:

I see what you did there!

Piedmon_Sama
2009-07-15, 01:47 PM
Has anybody read the manga Uzumaki up to the end?

Won't spoil anything, just want to say.... I'm stealing that whole town for a dungeon/setpiece in either my next D&D or even better a Cthulhu Mythos-based campaign. :smallcool:

Tengu_temp
2009-07-15, 05:53 PM
Okay, my thoughts about the latest FMA episode:
Ed: Have you picked up a cat again, Al?
Al: No, it's not a kitty. It's a Doggie!

Ed: What do you want the Philosopher's Stone for?
Lin: I want eternal life... by becoming a Gundam!

Yeah, I really like seiyuu jokes, in case you haven't noticed already.

Fri
2009-07-16, 01:16 PM
Currently watching the anime version of Starship Troopers. Surprisingly, it's quite interesting, with (or despite) what difference it got with the other versions. A cool enough real robot short series. Now that make me want to watch Votom...

Prime32
2009-07-16, 05:10 PM
I drew stuff (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mmicyzm0mmj). By hand (well, mouse). Apart from the ones in circles though, all the symbols are just squiggles. :smalltongue:

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-17, 01:25 AM
So I just watched Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0...in Japanese, with no subs. Fortunately, it's way the hell more straightforward than the TV series and maintains some of the plot, so while I missed a lot of details (Kaji, you talk way too damn much) and things that changed between the two continuities, I could still follow it. This summary assumes you're also familiar with the TV series, otherwise it will make no sense. In brief:

The movie opens with the movie's much anticipated new character, Mari Illustrious Makinami (yes that's actually her name, I assume "Illustrious" was a British aircraft carrier or something) in the...interesting Eva Provisional Unit 05 fighting an Angel that's attacking a base that isn't Tokyo-3. My assumption here is that it sensed Adam in Antarctica, and went after it. Anyhow, Mari shows us how a Getter pilot would run an Evangelion - it's effective, but her unit doesn't survive it, as she goes the self-destruct route. Farewell, Rebuild!Eva-05. You were...really goddamn weird looking. Mari is fine, being the only character in Evangelion who can successfully eject an entry plug.

Title card, and cut to Tokyo-3, where Shinji and Gendo are having an awkward conversation over Yui's grave. On his way back to the apartment in the Misatomobile, Shinji runs into the new Angel, a bizarre clockwork thing that can reassemble itself, and freezes the ocean water so it can walk on it. Despite being able to reassemble itself at will, this Angel falls prey to Evangelion Unit 02 and the best ****ing dynamic entry ever. Seriously, YouTube it, it's glorious.

After her impressive entrance, everyone gets to meet the surprisingly nimble Captain Asuka Shikinami, who wastes no time in making Shinji her bitch. Her name got changed to fit Rei and Mari's theme, and she gets shafted on character development because this is a movie, but hey, at least she got a promotion out of it. Also, random note, she no longer hates dolls. I bet she's going to end up ****ing well hating automaton robots, though...see below.

Cue school hijinx and people getting to know each other from the TV series. There's a cute bit where the gang (including Kaji, Touji and Kensuke - this movie lacks both Asuka's obsessive Kaji crush and her rivalry with Touji, btw) go to an aquarium - it seems in this continuity, most aquatic life was killed when the Second Impact turned the water LCL-red, so it's a highly secure aquarium with highly amusing decontamination process. Anyway, there's a cute picnic scene where Shinji's all nice to Rei and gives her Miso when she can't eat her lunch, and Pen-Pen leads a penguin insurrection. I wish.

Meanwhile, on the moon (!), Gendo and Fuyutsuki check out the weird crap we saw at the tail end of Rebuild 1.0, which is apparently all related to SEELE's own personal Evangelion project, Unit 06. While there, they see Kaworu, just kind of hanging around outside. On the moon. Way to stay undercover, Kaworu.

Let's see...there was a lot of talking and exposition in the middle that I kind of skimmed over because I couldn't understand it anyway, but in the middle of it is the next Angel fight: skipping ahead over the fun-but-fillery Angels, the next fight is a clone of Colony Drop Angel from the series with some of Shadow Mindscrew Angel's aesthetic thrown in. Once again, Studio Khara shows off their goddamn infinite and makes a gorgeous fight out of it, and gives us downright hotblooded Shinji holding the Angels up so Rei and Asuka can stab it (of course, as this is Evangelion, Shinji gets nails through his robot's hands). Yay, teamwork.

Anyway, then there's a crapload more talking, among which we have
Asuka and Shinji in bed, as during the Breakdance Angel episode in the series. This time though, they're both conscious and talk about, I assume, having dead parents.
More school hijinx
Shinji/Rei shipping
Asuka/Shinji shipping (and even more Asuka fanservice)
Mari literally falling out of the sky onto Shinji and being creepy at him in the third best dynamic entry ever, which I guess counts as Mari/Shinji shipping. Also, her English is worse than Asuka's German.
The famed Elevator Scene. Fortunately, this time, it's actually animated. And as far as I can tell, it's mainly an argument re: the shipping above. No time for denials, girls, it's a movie! We need to resolve this love triangle quickly!
Anyway, next important thing that happens is a random shot of Misato in the shower. I mean, Eva Unit 04 blowing up, and the shady NERV guys greenlighting Eva Unit 03.

Here's where the plot starts going off the rails. Rather than recruiting minor side character Touji Suzuhara for the doomed upgrade, Gendo sticks Asuka in as the test pilot (apparently, Evangelions are no longer exclusive to one person in this continuity - more on that later). On the plus side, we get an adorable shot of Touji hanging out with his fully recovered little sister (his motivation for piloting originally). On the minus side...well, the Possession Angel fight plays out much like it did in the original canon (only way creepier). Alas, Asuka Shikinami, we barely knew ye. Goddamn Dummy Plugs.

I'll make an aside here and say that as an Asuka fanboy I RAGED LIKE THE MOTHER****ING FIST OF THE NORTH STAR when I heard about this scene, but then I thought about it. This is a movie series, and one that's moving much, much faster than the TV series. By taking Asuka out of play here, and removing Touji's subplot, they 1) cut out an otherwise unneeded character arc and 2) shortened Asuka's appearance-to-coma time from 15 episodes to about an hour and a quarter. It still annoys me, but I can see their reasoning (also, it means that Asuka has a 2-0 fight record in this continuity, rather than her approximate 2-1507 record in Eva TV).

Anyway, Shinji is angry. Very angry. Getting on top of NERV HQ and stomping on it with Eva 01 angry. Gendo obviously takes a dim view of this, and fires him. Despite pleas from Misato (and Pen-Pen. Wark ;_;) to stay, Shinji does his thing where he ditches NERV. Of course, now is when the Overpowered Combat Angel does its thing. Again we have the plot going weird...Mari takes Unit 02 out of storage (somehow), pilots it (somehow), and jobs to it in a better animated version of Asuka's missile-spamming tactic from the show. Then when that doesn't work, she wills Unit 02 to go berserk (somehow!) and...actually isn't any more effective, just cooler looking. Then Rei, sick of these Angels showing up and wrecking her dinner plans, does her nuke attack from the show. When that doesn't work, she...well, she's stuck there and the Angel eats her. OM NOM NOM. Hey, we just skipped another two Angels.

Anyway, Shinji eventually gets to his Eva and reprises his one true TOTAL BADASS fight from the TV show, beating up the bad guy in yet another truly gorgeous fight scene that sees the NERV bridge bunnies and Gendo all survive by a hair's breadth. Once again, Unit 01 runs out of power, and once again, it goes nuts...more than nuts, as it's starting to turn into energy. Shinji is FULL OF RAGE as he dives for the Angel's core, apparently determined not to lose both of his main love interests, as he uses Spiral Power or some **** to pull Rei out. Of course, this is Just As Keikaku for the Angel, because in case you forgot, Angel + Eva + TEH REI + inappropriately calm music = Third Impact (okay, maybe that isn't how it happened the first time, I kinda zoned out). I assume what Ritsuko and the bridge bunnies are expositing at this point is that Unit 01 is evolving into God, and we're all screwed.

And that's the end! Roll credits.

Just kidding! After the credits, who should appear but Kaworu, arriving from the sky in Unit 06 and nailing Unit 01 with the Lance of Longinus, stopping its apotheosis with the second best Dynamic Entry ever. He says something ominous (perhaps "no one gets to Kill All Humans 'round these parts but me"), and then the movie's over.

All I got out of the post-movie trailer was an image of Asuka alive and in an eyepatch, which is really all I needed to not hate the film. Looking forward to the next cluster****.

tl;dr
Like 17 episodes in one movie
Mari is a Sue, but at least she's an amusing one
Asuka needs to call her agent
So do about half the Angels
Rei is, again, legitimately adorable in this version
DYNAMIC ENTRY!
SHINJI IKARI: TOTAL BADASS
****ING KAWORU

Vic_Sage
2009-07-17, 02:07 AM
Just watched the first volume of Fate/Stay Nite, liked it. But I'm wondering thogugh, why do you guys not like Shirou? All so need to get ahold of the Visual Novel. All so started My Hime *Yes I know I'm slow* and like it.

darkblade
2009-07-17, 08:24 AM
Anyway, Shinji eventually gets to his Eva and reprises his one true TOTAL BADASS fight from the TV show, beating up the bad guy in yet another truly gorgeous fight scene that sees the NERV bridge bunnies and Gendo all survive by a hair's breadth. Once again, Unit 01 runs out of power, and once again, it goes nuts...more than nuts, as it's starting to turn into energy. Shinji is FULL OF RAGE as he dives for the Angel's core, apparently determined not to lose both of his main love interests, as he uses Spiral Power or some **** to pull Rei out. Of course, this is Just As Keikaku for the Angel, because in case you forgot, Angel + Eva + TEH REI + inappropriately calm music = Third Impact (okay, maybe that isn't how it happened the first time, I kinda zoned out). I assume what Ritsuko and the bridge bunnies are expositing at this point is that Unit 01 is evolving into God, and we're all screwed.

Actually in the series they pretty much go on about EVA Unit-01 becoming "like God" after it ate the razor oragami angel. The music was dark and creepy at that time though and your mentioned post-credit scene makes it slightly ambiguous whether or not this is the new canon Third Impact.

kamikasei
2009-07-17, 08:27 AM
Just watched the first volume of Fate/Stay Nite, liked it. But I'm wondering thogugh, why do you guys not like Shirou? All so need to get ahold of the Visual Novel. All so started My Hime *Yes I know I'm slow* and like it.

Well, I don't know about the anime, but he clearly doesn't deserve either of the first two love interests and they'd be much better off with one another instead. That's part of it...

Player_Zero
2009-07-17, 10:15 AM
In regards to Endless Eight.

http://ishikawa.schoolofangry.com/images/Rage2.jpg

Cubey
2009-07-17, 10:23 AM
Wat? Don't tell me it isn't over yet... I'd expect it after 5 episodes.

Actually, I'd expect it after 2 episodes.

Player_Zero
2009-07-17, 10:28 AM
No ending. If they make this thing go on for eight episodes I will see this as a declaration of war.

Tengu_temp
2009-07-17, 10:32 AM
Just don't turn into a Zonder, mmkay?

Cubey
2009-07-17, 10:43 AM
Wikipedia confirms what you just said.

Seriously, are they trying to ruin the franchise?

Player_Zero
2009-07-17, 10:59 AM
It was a boring episode to begin with! Why do I have to watch it at least six times?!

kamikasei
2009-07-17, 11:00 AM
Eh. Put your feet up, give the eps a glance as they come out to see if it's ended yet, and ignore the show for the time being. Maybe their final excuse/explanation will be entertaining.

As with so much in life, the solution is to lower your expectations until you can only be pleasantly suprised.

Cubey
2009-07-17, 11:20 AM
The only reason why I'm frustrated with these episodes is that there is a friend (a girl, but not a girlfriend) whom I watch Haruhi with, and I was looking forward to doing so to an actually entertaining episode. Especially since she was gone for a few weeks so I was hoping we'll catch up and actually end Endless Eight by now.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-17, 12:00 PM
Actually in the series they pretty much go on about EVA Unit-01 becoming "like God" after it ate the razor oragami angel. The music was dark and creepy at that time though and your mentioned post-credit scene makes it slightly ambiguous whether or not this is the new canon Third Impact.Well, it looked like it was going to start Third Impact until Kaworu LOL Spear-ed it. I couldn't understand the dialog, but I'm pretty sure both Misato and Ritsuko were going on about how it looked like the Second Impact, and the imagery definitely looked like Misato's flashbacks from earlier in the film, including blurry art, random halos, and lots of red.

My best estimation is that, "chronologically", we've gone up through halfway through episode 24 of the series now, and gotten a preview of what the end could look like, but it isn't the end yet.

Jahkaivah
2009-07-17, 01:43 PM
I'll hand it to the animators of Haruhi Suzumiya though, this is probably the ballsiest thing I've seen anyone in the entertainment industry do.

I've resorted to skipping large chunks of the episodes now.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-17, 01:56 PM
I said this weeks ago, but I'm just going to ignore the show until they start a new story arc. That seems the safest for my sanity.

Vic_Sage
2009-07-17, 05:40 PM
Ditto. I give them credit for taking a big risk, but its not exactly paying off.

Dispozition
2009-07-17, 06:04 PM
So I'm the only one who honestly isn't minding endless eighth too much? I've watched all the repetition episodes fully so far, and I don't mind them. I sure as hell couldn't marathon the series, but watching it as it comes out is absolutely fine for me.

Tengu_temp
2009-07-17, 06:20 PM
Not the only one, but you're among the minority. It's watching the same thing again and again, with some minor changes - no new funny, cute or interesting scenes. They probably give you more and more hints to what precisely is causing the loop, but who would dive in and look for hints when he's too bored to pay attention? Anime is supposed to be entertaining.

Dispozition
2009-07-17, 06:43 PM
Not the only one, but you're among the minority. It's watching the same thing again and again, with some minor changes - no new funny, cute or interesting scenes. They probably give you more and more hints to what precisely is causing the loop, but who would dive in and look for hints when he's too bored to pay attention? Anime is supposed to be entertaining.

I would choose to watch this loop over quite a few animes I know of. Mainly the ZnT series or School Days. Special A is probably in there too.

Gralamin
2009-07-17, 06:58 PM
Damnit Kyoto! Haven't you had enough of the Haruhi time loop yet?

We get it that this is tiresome for Yuki but the audience will only tolerate so much abuse. Seriously four episodes so far and at least one more and this is before Disappearance which presumably is the main arc has even started yet. Seriously just let Kyon tell Haruhi he needs to do his homework already!

It happened in the Manga as well, why do you think they'd skip it in the Anime?

13_CBS
2009-07-17, 06:59 PM
Ah, but in the Light Novels the loop apparently didn't last quite as long.

nothingclever
2009-07-17, 07:08 PM
It happened in the Manga as well, why do you think they'd skip it in the Anime?
Because a typical manga chapter is 20 pages instead of 20 minutes? Because manga and books can have hundreds of chapters while an anime has far less episodes? Because they want to sell dvds and I've heard they're not even going to bother including all of the episodes from this arc since that'd be a waste and no one wants to buy 8 nearly identical episodes when they typically expect several different more enjoyable ones for the same price?

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-17, 07:08 PM
What Haruhi manga? None of the attempts at it have gotten to this story yet.

The light novels only show us one repetition. One.

This is a short story that's having as much time in the anime spent on it as the first novella did.

I've decided I'll forgive this craziness if and only if there's 12-13 episodes in this season (and on the DVD set) besides all the Endless Eight loops, making it an actual full season that happens to have a lot of bonus scenes.

13_CBS
2009-07-17, 07:16 PM
There's more than one Haruhi manga? :smallconfused:

Tengu_temp
2009-07-17, 07:17 PM
Yes - the old one, older than the anime, which according to most people who read it is quite horrible, and the new one, released after the anime, which according to most people who read it is decent. I haven't read either so I'm just giving second-hand info here.

13_CBS
2009-07-17, 07:20 PM
Is this the older one (http://www.onemanga.com/The_Melancholy_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya/)? I've read this one, and I don't remember it being too horrible.

nothingclever
2009-07-17, 07:20 PM
I would choose to watch this loop over quite a few animes I know of. Mainly the ZnT series or School Days. Special A is probably in there too.
Not even just so you could see the nice boat?

Dispozition
2009-07-17, 09:06 PM
Not even just so you could see the nice boat?

I will eventually watch it so I can see the nice boat, but it's very low on my list of things to watch. I still have about 5 full seasons from the last two or so airing seasons to watch :<

_Zoot_
2009-07-17, 10:29 PM
Gah, there seems to be a plot against me! I can't find the new episode of Haruhi Suzumiya anywhere!!! Or, it could just be that my Google-fu is weak today....

I'm going with option number one.

Vic_Sage
2009-07-17, 10:34 PM
So I'm the only one who honestly isn't minding endless eighth too much? I've watched all the repetition episodes fully so far, and I don't mind them. I sure as hell couldn't marathon the series, but watching it as it comes out is absolutely fine for me.
I'm not exatcly hating it, I actually kind of like, just feel it should have been four episodes at most.

Dispozition
2009-07-17, 10:43 PM
I'm not exatcly hating it, I actually kind of like, just feel it should have been four episodes at most.

I agree to some extent, but I do wonder what Kyoto Animation are actually getting up to, or at least what they're thinking...

darkblade
2009-07-18, 12:49 AM
I agree to some extent, but I do wonder what Kyoto Animation are actually getting up to, or at least what they're thinking...

That they want to shut up the over energetic and annoyingly loud Haruhi fanbase. The money stopped being worth the fans so they are intentionally trolling us. :smalltongue:

Dispozition
2009-07-18, 01:00 AM
That they want to shut up the over energetic and annoyingly loud Haruhi fanbase. The money stopped being worth the fans so they are intentionally trolling us. :smalltongue:

If that's truly the case, they are the second greatest animation studio ever...The best always being Sunrise because they can do no bad.

Vic_Sage
2009-07-18, 01:33 AM
At this point I think there trying to outdo Kojimia as master trolls.

Dispozition
2009-07-18, 01:39 AM
At this point I think there trying to outdo Kojimia as master trolls.

Looking at the games they've made, not sure what you mean. MGS isn't that much of a troll, and Zone of the Enders is the only other game I recognise from them, and that was fairly fun.

Cubey
2009-07-18, 02:13 AM
Well, the main difference is that even when Kojima actively wants to mess with his playerbase, the games still remain entertaining.

Vic_Sage
2009-07-18, 02:15 AM
Looking at the games they've made, not sure what you mean. MGS isn't that much of a troll, and Zone of the Enders is the only other game I recognise from them, and that was fairly fun.
At Microsofts E3 Presentation Hideo showed up after the Microsoft Exec made much fanfare about Metal Gear Solid Four coming to the X Box, he mentions that Solid Snake will now be playable on a Microsoft Console. Hideo gets the biggest **** eating grin on his face and says "I didn't say anything about Sorrid Snake" and tells them that they'll be getting Metal Gear Raiden and made it seem like it was going to be a 360 only title, only to later inform everyone that Metal Gear Raiden is going to be a multiplatform title at Sony's Confrerence and that Solid Snake will only be appearing on Sony Consoles and revealed a new Metal Gear Solid gamer on the PSP. The man is a master troll.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-18, 08:37 AM
Plus, you know, MGS2. Full stop.

nothingclever
2009-07-18, 09:00 AM
Whatever the reason is for the Endless Eight arc being the way it is, I hope it's something lulzy. I love hearing about the drama from anime animators/directors/production companies.

For example: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-04-27/co-founder-takami-akai-steps-down-from-gainax

Akai, under the name Magi no Suke, responded that personally reading the comments on 2channel was "like putting [his] face next to an anus and breathing deeply."

Rogue 7
2009-07-18, 05:34 PM
For example: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-04-27/co-founder-takami-akai-steps-down-from-gainax

That pretty much describes a large portion of the internet, if you ask me.

nothingclever
2009-07-18, 05:49 PM
Pretty soon I'm going to get started on watching all of Fist of the North Star/Hokuto no Ken. That'll give me 173 episodes to go through including the OVAs so I can let episodes from new series pile up while still getting some regular animated entertainment in the meantime.

I love how I recently watched an episode of Bull****! and it mentioned king Canute the historical figure and I remembered the character from Vinland Saga.

Vic_Sage
2009-07-18, 06:33 PM
Am I the only one that really doesn't like FotNS?

13_CBS
2009-07-18, 08:03 PM
I love how I recently watched an episode of Bull****! and it mentioned king Canute the historical figure and I remembered the character from Vinland Saga.

As a side note, I recently found out that Thorkell was an actual historical figure who allied with Cnute. And he did indeed fight against the...Danes? at London (or wherever it was).

No word on whether or not he was a Jomsviking, though (yes, they did exist). According to Wikipedia, Thorkell the Tall was indeed a Jomsviking.

Potential Vinland Saga spoilers!

According to history, Thorkell and Cnute will have a falling out later on, though both will survive whatever conflict their soured relationship will bring about. IIRC, Thorkell goes off to Denmark, reconciles with Cnute, and then fades away into history.

Mirrinus
2009-07-18, 11:12 PM
Endless Eight is hilarious to me just because of the fandom reaction. The real show isn't the show, but the people watching it. That, and the fact that the animation changes every time (and has gotten better since episode 4) makes it interesting too.

Are not that many people here watching Umineko? Sure, it's Studio DEEN's latest attempt to butcher a 7th Expansion work, but at least this time the animation has improved quite a bit from Higurashi. I'm a huge fan of mysteries, and this one starts off as a classic closed circle island, so I'll be following it even if it does end up a train wreck. Still, I know the original story is solid (as was Higurashi's, but DEEN sort of wrecked it), and Battler is a WAY better protagonist than Keiichi, so it should remain watchable.

Also, the original Umineko visual novels made quite a few references to Touhou Project, so watching the anime makes me inadvertantly laugh at any perceived similarities, whether real or not. Every time I see Beatrice (http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa121/Opphiucus/umineko_1.jpg), I still picture Yukari (http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3228/1246892406910.jpg) in her place.

Dispozition
2009-07-18, 11:15 PM
Are not that many people here watching Umineko? Sure, it's Studio DEEN's latest attempt to butcher a 7th Expansion work, but at least this time the animation has improved quite a bit from Higurashi. I'm a huge fan of mysteries, and this one starts off as a classic closed circle island, so I'll be following it even if it does end up a train wreck. Still, I know the original story is solid (as was Higurashi's, but DEEN sort of wrecked it), and Battler is a WAY better protagonist than Keiichi, so it should remain watchable.

Also, the original Umineko visual novels made quite a few references to Touhou Project, so watching the anime makes me inadvertantly laugh at any perceived similarities, whether real or not. Every time I see Beatrice, I still picture Yukari (http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3228/1246892406910.jpg) in her place.

I am, I am also enjoying it. I still prefer Higurashi over it so far, but the series has yet to end, so that's obvious. I am finding the token loli not quite as fun as Rika, but she's still enjoyable, her laugh is almost as awesome. I agree with Battler being better than Keiichi, but I preferred the concept of Higurashi more :<

nothingclever
2009-07-18, 11:53 PM

I'm watching and loving it just for the cheesy Maria moments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNIK4X6EkgY

I haven't played the game but I wonder about Battler being the better protagonist. So far I've hated him in the anime for his constant chess comparisons and overly upbeat attitude. At least he's acting like a better detective than the rest of the cast though.

Mirrinus
2009-07-19, 01:44 AM
Really? I like him because of all the chess metaphors and his upbeat personality. Better than Keiichi acting like an idiot for nearly the entire first season. At least this one's got a brain. Battler's also arguably much more important to the storyline as a whole than Keiichi is, since Rika was technically the true central character of Higurashi.

Unfortunately, the Umineko VN isn't actually finished yet (it's only up to chapter 5; Higurashi had 8 chapters by comparison), so we're probably not going to get any solid answers this season. But if Studio DEEN somehow manages to squeeze in that scene from the VN where Jessica cosplays as Marisa while singing Tsurupettan, then I will forgive them for everything.

endoperez
2009-07-19, 02:37 AM
I understand Rurouni Kenshin is a martial arts story set during the Meiji restoration. If I wanted to watch or read it, where should I start? Are there other historical anime from that period, preferably with semi-realistic martial arts and decent-plot?

I just saw Shura no Toki, and Kenshin seems similar. I don't think Shura no Toki is well known, so here's a short summary:

The series tells three distinct stories, all about warriors who fight unarmed against swords (once a spear, later guns), meet people from Japanese history, and then are forgotten about. The Meiji restoration happens during the third arc.

The bad: the animation was cheap. I mean, no blood when several people are cut down? Or total lack of visible wounds in most fights? The few fights where blood was shown were brutal, but mostly people just collapse. The first timejump/generation change. Some character designs were even re-used in the different time periods.
The good: The time periods show how the sword was eventually replaced by firearms when Western influence started arriving in Japan. The martial arts seemed mostly plausible, and sometimes the fights managed to be impressive. The third arc describes politics leading to the Meiji restoration, which meant less martial arts and more plot. Some of the historical persons were done really well, but I had never heard from most of them and don't know if that's how they are usually represented.

Wraithy
2009-07-19, 07:43 AM
I'm enjoying the new anime season much more than the old one, it just seems more fun as a whole.

The Haruhi ark is making me rage like hell, I've actually started skipping through the episodes now (which certainly helps). I get that Yuki is bored, but so am I.

Bakemonogatari is looking interesting, less comedy than I'd hoped, but it has an intriguing quality that makes it worth watching. I'm really looking forward to watching episode 3.

Dispozition
2009-07-19, 07:50 AM
Bakemonogatari is looking interesting, less comedy than I'd hoped, but it has an intriguing quality that makes it worth watching. I'm really looking forward to watching episode 3.

Who's subbing it? The group I was expecting it from haven't released any episodes yet...

Wait...Checking GG, they have ep 3, but no ep 1 or 2...I am confused...Greatly...

EDIT: They've also only released 1 ep of CANAAN, which also pisses me off...Greatly...

EDIT2: Take them both back...The tracker I was using was being crap, so ep 2 of CANAAN and ep 1 and 2 of Bakemonogatari weren't up...All good now :P

Wraithy
2009-07-19, 10:00 AM
I just use http://www.zomganime.com because it has made watching anime much much easier for me.

At the moment I'm still being pissed off by Funimation. They remove FMA: Brotherhood from most sites with the intention of streaming it on their own, then restrict it to only work for US residents. *Swears profusely*

Closet_Skeleton
2009-07-19, 05:29 PM
I just saw Shura no Toki, and Kenshin seems similar. I don't think Shura no Toki is well known, so here's a short summary:

I've seen no episodes of kenshin all the way through and most of Shura no toki's first two arcs.

I think Kenshin is a bit more shonen, but not in a tournament arc and training montage sort of way. More of in a "over the top villains and overdone posing" sort of way. But still that's barely differant from shura no toki.

Kenshin is probably better. It certainly ran for longer.

Only thing from the new season that even slightly roused my interest was that magnatude 8 thing.

Thrawn183
2009-07-19, 05:34 PM
The intro to Toradora! is addicting :smallfrown:

Wraithy
2009-07-19, 05:54 PM
Only thing from the new season that even slightly roused my interest was that magnatude 8 thing.

Really? That's probably the only thing I'm watching in the season which I have doubts about (it looks like it'll get stale). There are a number of new shows I'm ignoring entirely though.

Also: Untold rage at the new Bleach arc. What the actual fudge?!

nothingclever
2009-07-19, 06:28 PM
Really? I like him because of all the chess metaphors and his upbeat personality. Better than Keiichi acting like an idiot for nearly the entire first season. At least this one's got a brain. Battler's also arguably much more important to the storyline as a whole than Keiichi is, since Rika was technically the true central character of Higurashi.
I like Keiichi more because from what little I've seen of Umineko I get the impression that Battler is the type of character that never gets freaked out or when he does he goes into denial mode and plays things off with his cheery attitude while Keiichi will clearly freak out and then mentally power through whatever nasty stuff is confronting him while fully acknowledging it. Like Keiichi would admit he's scared while Battler would say something lame like "I'm not shaking from fright, I'm excited." Even if Keiichi is dumb I like his honesty.

I just saw Shura no Toki
Even if it had a bunch of flaws I really enjoyed the first arc with Mutsu overcoming everyone with his bare hands and finally using a sword/sheath mostly as a distraction or to block against Musashi. All the talk about characters having sword auras that felt suffocating and crushing made me laugh and like the series even more. I didn't mind the lack of blood because the show was so lighthearted. As soon as that arc ended though I dropped the series because I didn't want to watch his son/grandson/relative/whoever that was basically going to be him all over again only with kendo.

Only thing from the new season that even slightly roused my interest was that magnitude 8 thing.
I feel pretty much the same so I'm looking for old anime to marathon.

Rogue 7
2009-07-19, 08:24 PM
I think Kenshin is a bit more shonen, but not in a tournament arc and training montage sort of way. More of in a "over the top villains and overdone posing" sort of way. But still that's barely differant from shura no toki.

I've never heard of Shura no toki, but Kenshin is one of my favorite manga. It's definitely shonen, but a bit more low-key than that. The villains aren't so much "over the top" as gimmicky, and the big villains are always deadly serious. But it's just a really good story.

Artemician
2009-07-20, 06:25 AM
The Haruhi ark is making me rage like hell, I've actually started skipping through the episodes now (which certainly helps). I get that Yuki is bored, but so am I.
A former Kyoto Animation staff member actually apologized for the current arc.

Delicious drama! (http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=100359&show=0)

On another note, can anyone who has seen Welcome to the NHK! tell me whether the ending is worth slogging through to watch? After a sluggish beginning, the show finally hit 4 good episodes, before sinking into derivative junk again. I'm seriously considering dropping it.

Fri
2009-07-20, 06:33 AM
I don't think there are actually a 'real' ending in the anime. The manga is good though.

Wraithy
2009-07-20, 06:59 AM
A former Kyoto Animation staff member actually apologized for the current arc.

Delicious drama! (http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=100359&show=0)

Their utter failure to sell volume DVDs with this arc in it will be apology enough. People might be willing to put up with this when they're watching for the first time, but most probably won't buy a DVD to slog through it again.

On another note, can anyone who has seen Welcome to the NHK! tell me whether the ending is worth slogging through to watch? After a sluggish beginning, the show finally hit 4 good episodes, before sinking into derivative junk again. I'm seriously considering dropping it.

I watched to the 'end', enjoyed it a bit, but nothing spectacular. As a general rule of thumb, I dump an anime after 3 bad eps (unless said anime has proven its excellence to me before).

The current season is looking good IMO, Bakemonogatari in particular is pleasing me with its general style and sense of humour.

Player_Zero
2009-07-20, 10:12 AM
I don't think there are actually a 'real' ending in the anime. The manga is good though.

Errr... Yes there is.

Also, Welcome to NHK is definitely worth watching all the way through. The manga is alright too.

It sure as hell isn't a 'Soul Eater' end. Worst. Ending. Ever.

Wraithy
2009-07-20, 11:37 AM
It sure as hell isn't a 'Soul Eater' end. Worst. Ending. Ever.

Yeah, but most anime which end before the manga mess things up. I'm really looking forward to the new arc in the Soul Eater manga (though the wings stuff was a bit strange, how Kid is getting on is rather funny).