PDA

View Full Version : G General Anime Discussion - Typing FINGER!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Tengu_temp
2009-05-21, 06:29 AM
Last time (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100448) on General Anime Discussion: the similarities between Pokemon and other series are discussed, UltraDude reveals his evil plans, Artemician admits that the new Nanoha movie trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpjI7g9NcEA) disturbs him, Tengu learns that he sucks at writing funny introductions when he's in a hurry! What awaits our heroes? Stay tuned.

Dispozition
2009-05-21, 06:56 AM
I am so glad I rewatched the first two Nanoha series recently (read: last week) and plan on rewatching the third after exams...I forgot just how epic lolis with beam spam and laser scythes were...

The movie looks pretty cool...Even if it's just a retell of the first series I'll be happy, the first series was epic...As was the second...

kamikasei
2009-05-21, 07:01 AM
Damn it, why didn't I think to restart the thread?

Also, viewing the trailer will have to wait, but a retelling of the meat of the first series minus the rather pointless "just your regular everday magical girl" filler of the first ~6 episodes would be very cool. Especially if they a) up the animation quality and b) drop the panty shots.

Lord of Rapture
2009-05-21, 07:32 AM
I am so glad I rewatched the first two Nanoha series recently (read: last week) and plan on rewatching the third after exams...I forgot just how epic lolis with beam spam and laser scythes were...

The movie looks pretty cool...Even if it's just a retell of the first series I'll be happy, the first series was epic...As was the second...

No... no it was not.

I would not watch the movie, the first season, or the third season even if you paid me.

Cubey
2009-05-21, 08:37 AM
That's your opinion.

Speaking of Nanoha, 4th season's here (http://www.mangafox.com/manga/mahou_senki_lyrical_nanoha_force/v01/c000/) in manga form. So far there's only one introductory short, but I'm looking forward to more. Reinforce Zwei is apparently human-sized now, and one of the locations referenced will sound very familiar to SRW fans. Also, some new characters - I guess they'll cut into Erio and Caro's screentime even further.

kamikasei
2009-05-21, 08:46 AM
Reinforce Zwei is apparently human-sized now

Noooo! *cries*

Lord of Rapture
2009-05-21, 09:00 AM
That's your opinion.

Isn't that blatantly obvious?

We're not little kids here. We don't have to put "I think" in front of every opinion anymore so that everyone knows it's only an opinion.

EDIT: And here's two people that share (http://otakuism.animeblogger.net/category/anime/magical-girl-lyrical-nanoha-strikers/)my (http://www.nihonreview.com/anime/magical-girl-lyrical-nanoha/) opinion (http://www.nihonreview.com/anime/magical-girl-lyrical-nanoha-strikers/). (can't agree with him on A's though, that show was great)

Artemician
2009-05-21, 09:40 AM
The thing is, Rapture, we're all quite aware your opinion on the series already, and you mentioning it over and over again is quite annoying. I can sympathize, especially due to my own experiences in TTGL discussions. But really, could you try to cut it down a little

Also, some new characters - I guess they'll cut into Erio and Caro's screentime even further.
MORE characters?

I swear, there needs to be a culling, and soon.

Cubey
2009-05-21, 10:50 AM
Isn't that blatantly obvious?

We're not little kids here. We don't have to put "I think" in front of every opinion anymore so that everyone knows it's only an opinion.

It makes your posts look arrogant, like if you presented your opinion as a fact and wanted to enforce it on everyone who thinks differently.
However, I only have such an impression because you mention it in like every post of yours that is about Nanoha.
So in short, what Artemician said.

MORE characters?

I swear, there needs to be a culling, and soon.
I'm okay with lots of characters, as long as they get enough attention. Which is tricky to do. Anyway, it seems there will be only 2 new characters appearing, an as of yet unnamed boy and girl. Who might be love interests for each other - gasp, another token het pairing!
Anyway, as I said, I won't be surprised if Caro and Erio get the shaft again. Or Zafira. Poor dog-man. Chrono was inconsequential from the start so I doubt he'll appear at all, except for a few cameos. Same for Yuuno - pity, really.

In fact, I wouldn't mind if they focused on old neglected characters instead of introducing new ones. But hey, it's Gundam and each series needs a new protagonist.

Rogue 7
2009-05-21, 11:47 AM
So apparently there's new Haruhi. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=ie8jkvazrr7jy5n6g52flgci&page=1)

Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, apparently. (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-05-21/new-haruhi-suzumiya-anime-episode-airs)

Well, I know what torrents I'm searching for the moment I get home from work. And I was just rewatching some Haruhi last night.

BLR is the one

during the Tanabata festival, right? And it's the first time Kyon travels back to 3 years ago?

kamikasei
2009-05-21, 11:58 AM
Rogue, you have the dreaded "http.com" link madness. (Not quoting to fix because I don't want to see what's under your spoiler :smallwink:)

Bah. Bah I say! I'll wait until there's a proper season underway before I start watching. Don't like getting things in dribs and drabs. (Come to think of it, has the latest Hellsing Ultimate been subbed yet...?)

(edit: Plus at the moment I'm more anxious to see a DVD or other combined release of Haruhi-chan so I can start spreading it around.)

Anyway, Nanoha looks... like they had more money and better animation. I'm a little put off that the transformation sequence looks frame-for-frame identical. But of course, the real issue will be whether they tighten up the plot and pacing.

Attilargh
2009-05-21, 12:05 PM
Damn you, Rogue, and your little Move Silently modifier too! :smallmad:

Here's the ED. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXFnd32egRM&fmt=22) Pretty catchy.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-05-21, 12:05 PM
So hey, anyone going to A-Kon this year?

Rogue 7
2009-05-21, 12:11 PM
Damn you, Rogue, and your little Move Silently modifier too! :smallmad:

Here's the ED. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXFnd32egRM&fmt=22) Pretty catchy.

Ten kinds of awesome. Why on earth did they release this so subtlely? One would think there'd be huge announcements for something this big.

Attilargh
2009-05-21, 12:14 PM
It's Haruhi.

Also, it will be the only thing all anime communities everywhere will talk about for a week or so. Cheapest advertisement ever. (http://img2.gelbooru.com/images/251/dc1869a27dd2f104a8865541997d0ca63d15dbac.jpg?25447 5)

But mostly, it's just Haruhi.

Also, a wild Nerd-O-Rama appears! :smalleek:

Tengu_temp
2009-05-21, 12:20 PM
You should do the same as me and just catch a Nerdo for yourself.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-05-21, 12:23 PM
Ten kinds of awesome. Why on earth did they release this so subtlely? One would think there'd be huge announcements for something this big.Kyoto Animation are world-class trolls. People complain about shows like Gundam 00 or Macross Frontier trolling their audiences, but Kyoto Animation are past masters.

And like Attilargh said, viral marketing. Though I'm sure it wasn't their intent, they also did this right at the start of Con season in America, so the audiences over here should be whipped up into a right frenzy pretty quick.

(Nerd-o-ramas can be found in tall grass and caves with reliable server functions.)

EDIT: Egads, my signature died. I should fix that now that it actually means something again.

kamikasei
2009-05-21, 12:34 PM
That damn Nanoha manga has me wanting to track down the drama CDs (assuming that's where this "Marriage Incident" takes place - and thanks to the Nano doujins all I can imagine is some huge Xanatos Roulette by Fate to finally win Nanoha's hand).

So what does Nerd-o-rama evolve in to?

Prime32
2009-05-21, 12:37 PM
one of the locations referenced will sound very familiar to SRW fans.
*Begins reading*

*Snorts milk out nose*

That damn Nanoha manga has me wanting to track down the drama CDs (assuming that's where this "Marriage Incident" takes place - and thanks to the Nano doujins all I can imagine is some huge Xanatos Roulette by Fate to finally win Nanoha's hand).
I know of exactly two things from those - Hayate likes groping people(?!) and
Teana can use Starlight Breaker

Nerd-o-rama
2009-05-21, 12:40 PM
So what does Nerd-o-rama evolve in to?YOUR DOOM.

And yeah, I have to wonder if this place in the Nanoha manga has a black hole in it somewhere.

Prime32
2009-05-21, 12:42 PM
I wanted to launch the new thread... and name it "General Anime Discussion Destiny".:smallfrown: Oh well, I guess I'll have to settle for stabbing Nerdo violently.

kamikasei
2009-05-21, 12:42 PM
I know of exactly two things from those - Hayate likes groping people(?!) and
Teana can use Starlight Breaker

...Is this from the drama CDs or the doujins? I don't remember the second point in the latter and am surprised to see the first point raised in the former :P

Prime32
2009-05-21, 12:45 PM
...Is this from the drama CDs or the doujins? I don't remember the second point in the latter and am surprised to see the first point raised in the former :P
My knowledge comes from various TVTropes pages (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HandCannon). I think the spoilered point comes near the climax of something.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2119/blazerm.jpg

Nerd-o-rama
2009-05-21, 12:52 PM
I wanted to launch the new thread... and name it "General Anime Discussion Destiny".:smallfrown: Oh well, I guess I'll have to settle for stabbing Nerdo violently.Stop that. If we had a real fight there's no way you could beat me.

kamikasei
2009-05-21, 12:56 PM
Ah. That's the drama CDs. I don't know if Hayate as Sekuhara-chan is from anywhere except Nano...

Tengu_temp
2009-05-21, 12:58 PM

Yup, Hayate is officially Sekuhara-chan. Imagine what will happen when she becomes the leader of TSAB.

I wanted to launch the new thread... and name it "General Anime Discussion Destiny".:smallfrown: Oh well, I guess I'll have to settle for stabbing Nerdo violently.

I was actually wondering should it be G General Anime Discussion, General Anime Discussion Destiny, or General Anime Discussion R2, but ultimately decided on the first and saved the other two for later. Of course, the current one is the fifth anime discussion thread, so after this one and those two we must have 08th General Anime Discussion Team.

Prime32
2009-05-21, 12:59 PM
Stop that. If we had a real fight there's no way you could beat me.But I'm modular! MODULAR, DAMMIT! :smallmad: And that nice Chairman told me to!

(Side note: I don't believe you saw this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110646))

kamikasei
2009-05-21, 01:02 PM
Yup, Hayate is officially Sekuhara-chan. Imagine what will happen when she becomes the leader of TSAB.

"All female staff will be required to wear MINISKIRTS!"... wait a sec.

Prime32
2009-05-21, 01:05 PM
"All female staff will be required to wear MINISKIRTS!"... wait a sec.I remember having vague suspicions of Roy Mustang's connections to the TSAB when I saw Nanoha's new Barrier Jacket...

Also, I have just read Negima. All of it. A thread was started (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4498.0) for statting the characters.

See that guy in the banner in my sig, on the right? He could be Jack Rakan's long-lost brother.

I can't read the name of that "evil organisation that promotes war" without thinking of Gundam SEED.

For the first few chapters I kept misreading Asuna's name with a "k" instead of an "n". Similarly, I somehow managed to misread "Nodoka" as "Hinata", and "Camo" as "Salem".

I keep expecting Setsuna's wings to emit light.

Rogue 7
2009-05-21, 01:22 PM
I would love to play in a high-powered Negima-based D&D game. Though I suspect my builds would be a lot simpler compared to yours.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-05-21, 01:28 PM
I remember having vague suspicions of Roy Mustang's connections to the TSAB when I saw Nanoha's new Barrier Jacket...

I couldn't treat StrikerS Nanoha as the same person until she did that super mode upgrade that gives her a proper length dress. Fate is the short-skirt one dammit!

Prime32
2009-05-21, 01:29 PM
I would love to play in a high-powered Negima-based D&D game. Though I suspect my builds would be a lot simpler compared to yours.
I have an anime-themed game which has been taking forever to start up - some of the players have expressed interest in Negima-related backgrounds. We already have three Midchildians, a Bleach shinigami, Archer and Magus. :smalltongue: (with Gundam Deathscythe and Gurren-Lagann possibly to come)

I couldn't treat StrikerS Nanoha as the same person until she did that super mode upgrade that gives her a proper length dress. Fate is the short-skirt one dammit!
...and then they switched just after I'd got used to it. :smallamused:

13_CBS
2009-05-21, 01:35 PM
I have an anime-themed game which has been taking forever to start up - some of the players have expressed interest in Negima-related backgrounds. We already have three Midchildians, a Bleach shinigami, Archer and Magus. :smalltongue: (with Gundam Deathscythe and Gurren-Lagann possibly to come)

Really? Damn, I'd love to play as a Servant of some sort.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-05-21, 01:39 PM
Really? Damn, I'd love to play as a Servant of some sort.There's like 9001 Maid RPG games on this board, pick one.

Prime32
2009-05-21, 01:41 PM
There's like 9001 Maid RPG games on this board, pick one.Is there a Gravion-themed one yet?

Incidentally, the Nanoha-verse characters are the result of me casually mentioning "a Nanoha game using Mutants & Masterminds at GitP" while we ere deciding on a system. Response: "OMG NANOHA GAME!" And, well... (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3772.0)

13_CBS
2009-05-21, 01:41 PM
There's like 9001 Maid RPG games on this board, pick one.

Sorry, I meant "Servant" (capital S) as in "Spiritual manifestation of a mythical hero" from Fate/Stay Night.

That, and there are currently no Maid RPG recruitment threads, to my utmost regret. :smallfrown:

Tengu_temp
2009-05-21, 01:44 PM
I can run a Maid RPG game. Of course, I'm me.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-05-21, 01:44 PM

Is there a Gravion-themed one yet?Do this, and I might join regardless.

13_CBS
2009-05-21, 01:45 PM
I have no idea what Gravion is (I'll look it up shortly), but I'll join regardless.

KnightDisciple
2009-05-21, 01:49 PM
Well, the Zanpaktou thread has had talk of a Bleach game. Our Captain General (Horngeek) is busy with school type stuff until November, but other than that...

Tengu_temp
2009-05-21, 01:58 PM
Gravion is a super robot show with a quite cool, transforming mech that totally doesn't look like Gao Gai Gar, a crapload of fanservice and even more maids. It doesn't take itself very seriously and is notable for the fact that the main character is not the main pilot of the mech. It's very strong in SRW Z, too. The OPs give you a good idea what is it about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6xRVmuw5nI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRuATsrxxNQ

I don't want to create a Gravion-themed game, though, because I haven't watched it (my brother - no, not Cubey - did, though), and it's not high on my to-watch list. Well, it can be vaguely Gravion-themed. And I don't believe someone actually wants to play a Maid game run by me. Ho ho ho ho ho...

I bet this post will be ninja-ed to Hell and back.

kamikasei
2009-05-21, 01:59 PM
I am in fact more likely to join a Maid game if you're running it, Tengu.

13_CBS
2009-05-21, 02:01 PM
Likewise for me.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-05-21, 02:01 PM

Yeah, you've treated our magical girls with a surprising amount of respect and maturity. By which I mean "any".

UltraDude
2009-05-21, 02:05 PM
Can the maids have giant robots and/or magical nukes?

Rogue 7
2009-05-21, 02:06 PM
I recall rolling up a giant robot when my Dark Heresy DM decided we were all going to roll up maid characters. With the stats, looks, and mech, I realized that I basically had Kallen Kozuki, but we never actually played the game. (Good thing, too. It'd have been a bit awkward.)

Edit: And in further discussion of Anime-based games, there are at least 4 Naruto D20 games currently running on the board, including one I'm running. I find the village mission system and whatnot makes for a good basis for a campaign.

kamikasei
2009-05-21, 02:26 PM
I recall rolling up a giant robot when my Dark Heresy DM decided we were all going to roll up maid characters.

...was that still within the Dark Heresy system? :smalleek:

Yeah, you've treated our magical girls with a surprising amount of respect and maturity. By which I mean "any".

It helps to have an in-game scapegoat for all the obligatory perving. Keeps it out of the narration. At least, out of the DM's narration...

Fri
2009-05-21, 02:29 PM
On Maid RPG and Haruhi, I have something that somewhat related to the topic.

There's this story idea that I have for quite some while, but I know that it's not eh, solid enough for me to write. And it reminded me on Haruhi too much. After some while, I thought that it might work better, or actually, It would be PERFECT as an RPG campaign. And I figured out that a MAID RPG would be perfect for it. I'd love to DM it, but sadly, I don't have the book. Oh well.

It's actually more inspired by, gasp, a Leisure suit larry character. It's titled. "My Schoolmate is an Evil Overlord"

Yes. Simple premise, and exactly as it says in the tin. At day, you are just another, if slightly quirky, high school student. But after school hour, you're actually a member of an Evil Organization (tm) that want to... RULE THE WORLD.

The titular Evil Overlord (and the master in the MAID game) is a popular, quirky, tsundere girl from the school (YES. It's basically Haruhi. I didn't think of haruhi at all when I was designing her, damnit! It's actually based on a character from the last Leisure Suit Larry game)

Her right hand man, aka the dragon for her evil overlord... well, basically Kyon. sigh. Actually a sensible and down to earth guy, but for some reason (that should be clear much later in the story/game) is totally devoted for the evil overlord. Unlike haruhi and kyon, they're really a couple though. They had a somewhat strange relationship, but ultimately, people should say 'aww... they really do love each other'.

I have the evil organization roster, but I scrapped it since it should be filled by the player in my imaginary game.

They have a headquarter in the girl's mansion, and every day after school, they try to make a plan to... TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

They have some resources, but really limited. And the evil organization is an evil organization with honor (tm). Basically, the reason of why they didn't simply wail and unleash mutant beast or something is, the evil overlord girl has some kind of personal code of honor.

There's a proto plot and a proto background (what is this secret evil organization? Why do they use highschool students? Why the evil overlord IS a highschool student) brewing in my head, complete with more supporting characters, but I can't really post it here, because I MIGHT start the game in the unforeseeable (far) future.

Rogue 7
2009-05-21, 02:35 PM
"Gee, Haruhi, what are we going to do tomorrow night?"

"The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world!"

The temptation to have Haruhi call Kyon "Pinky" was too much to resist. And the Evil League of Evil (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DrHorriblesSingAlongBlog) should be involved somehow.

kamikasei
2009-05-21, 02:37 PM
Fri, if you do start that game, let me know.

Attilargh
2009-05-21, 02:43 PM
Dammit, Rogue, I was just about to post that very same thing.

Speaking of role-playing games, I'm currently working on a fairly light system dedicated to making mecha. And Nanoha characters. It's an unholy mashup of WoD, M&M and SRW, and you probably will never see anything properly finished. The best you can hope for are vague hints like this and maybe a horrendously broken beta version sometime in the far future.

Look forward to it! :smallamused:

(If you're of the IRCy type and want to listen to me agonising over all the small details, pop over to #tropers on EsperNet. Warning: Lurker discretion is advised.)

Prime32
2009-05-21, 03:02 PM
I had this one D&D build which could be used in a game which happens to have mecha in it. Regardless of how the mecha system works, it would be capable of some combination of the following: combining with other mechas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l8udGLlP7Q&fmt=18), entering Trans-Am, summoning blazing swords (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eozjz9dqv-4&fmt=18), infecting other mecha with viruses, transforming into (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnvcHIJpNaU&fmt=18) a giant gun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtV-lf10kk8&fmt=18), transferring all of its energy to another mecha to supercharge it (and cause it to turn gold whether it wants to or not :smallbiggrin:)...

Lord of Rapture
2009-05-21, 05:48 PM
It makes your posts look arrogant, like if you presented your opinion as a fact and wanted to enforce it on everyone who thinks differently.
However, I only have such an impression because you mention it in like every post of yours that is about Nanoha.
So in short, what Artemician said.

Okay, okay. Sorry about my arrogant-sounding post. Its just that all the fans are trying to enforce their opinion on me (not here), and I need something to properly vent my rage.

And yeah, more characters would not help at all. StrikerS failed in my eyes because they couldn't handle as many characters as they had.

To be honest, Haruhi's second season has taken so long to get here that any enthusiasm I had for it has now burnt out into little cinders.

Killersquid
2009-05-21, 08:26 PM
...was that still within the Dark Heresy system? :smalleek:

I would also like to know this.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-05-21, 11:07 PM
To be honest, Haruhi's second season has taken so long to get here that any enthusiasm I had for it has now burnt out into little cinders.That's why I tried not to think too hard about the show when it became apparent it wouldn't be an annual series. Enough time spent constantly fanboying over something will eventually burn you out on it. Thus, I can treat its return with (a rational amount of) enthusiasm.

I'd leap into the Nanoha debate, but I think I remember having this conversation before.

nothingclever
2009-05-22, 12:18 AM

I feel the same way.

Anyways I think about a week ago I finished watching the main 110 episode series of Legend of the Galactic Heroes and it was great. I hope I'll eventually get to watch a translated version of the side stories episodes and the animated films. I'd recommend the series to anyone. I disliked what happened to Yang Wen-li but I enjoyed pretty much everything.

Lord of Rapture
2009-05-22, 02:50 AM
I feel the same way.

Anyways I think about a week ago I finished watching the main 110 episode series of Legend of the Galactic Heroes and it was great. I hope I'll eventually get to watch a translated version of the side stories episodes and the animated films. I'd recommend the series to anyone. I disliked what happened to Yang Wen-li but I enjoyed pretty much everything.

I don't think anybody's going to translate it anytime soon. The whole series is so massive and sprawling that any translator has a Herculean task ahead of him.
That said, I do want to watch Legend of Galactic Heroes...when I finally have the ******* time, that is.

^Nerd-O-Rama: To be honest, I didn't even have to think about it that much. It's that for me, anything left untouched for a long time will eventually lose all appeal to me.

Drascin
2009-05-22, 02:52 AM
I've been a bit out of news lately, what with the exams and everything... and when I get back, I find out there's a new episode of Haruhi?! Seriously, why wasn't this more advertised? If you guys hadn't mentioned it here, I'd never have found out! Anybody knows who's subbing it?

I fail to see the problem here. You're pretty good as far as GMs go, if our current campaign is any indication.

Attilargh
2009-05-22, 03:47 AM
CoalGuys, alongside Koda (the translator of late gg) who hates everything about the show. This can only end in hilarity.

nothingclever
2009-05-22, 07:19 AM
I don't think anybody's going to translate it anytime soon. The whole series is so massive and sprawling that any translator has a Herculean task ahead of him.
That said, I do want to watch Legend of Galactic Heroes...when I finally have the ******* time, that is.

^Nerd-O-Rama: To be honest, I didn't even have to think about it that much. It's that for me, anything left untouched for a long time will eventually lose all appeal to me.

I've forgotten the name of the sub group but I know one is going to do the rest eventually although I'll have to wait at least a few months because they're doing other current anime at the moment.

I just read 120-123 of Zettai Karen Children and I really enjoyed it. I thought the series would be a groan fest because of how cheesy some stuff is but it's a lot better than I expected. I love the way the author is blatantly ripping off Death Note for a story arc and the dialog and faces are done using the Death Note style. I hated Death Note and how people said it was good as a serious thriller when it always felt comical to me because of how over the top it was so a parody is very satisfying.

Lord of Rapture
2009-05-22, 08:34 AM
I've forgotten the name of the sub group but I know one is going to do the rest eventually although I'll have to wait at least a few months because they're doing other current anime at the moment.

I just read 120-123 of Zettai Karen Children and I really enjoyed it. I thought the series would be a groan fest because of how cheesy some stuff is but it's a lot better than I expected. I love the way the author is blatantly ripping off Death Note for a story arc and the dialog and faces are done using the Death Note style. I hated Death Note and how people said it was good as a serious thriller when it always felt comical to me because of how over the top it was so a parody is very satisfying.

I was talking about a dub, actually.

Wait, so you're saying that something that puts even MORE cheese into Death Note is really satisfying?
...How could it possibly top the potato chip eating scene?

nothingclever
2009-05-22, 09:43 AM
I'm saying I think Death Note would've been better if it was a comedy to begin with instead of trying or just pretending to be serious.

Lord of Rapture
2009-05-22, 10:38 AM
I'm saying I think Death Note would've been better if it was a comedy to begin with instead of trying or just pretending to be serious.

No, I'm saying how could it possibly be more cheesy than the potato chip scene while still being good?

Fri
2009-05-22, 11:03 AM
Dammit, Rogue, I was just about to post that very same thing.

Yeah, it's kinda obvious. Anyway I got the plot and I figured that I might get the rulebook sooner or later, but I won't have the time to DM it yet. I'm kinda... somewhat... busy right now (or trying to at least) and I'm still trying to get some experience on DM-ing in this forum with the A-Team campaign.

and on potato chip and cheese:

What do you mean it's not awesome: Breakfast (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXGWZxI9lAs)

kamikasei
2009-05-22, 11:19 AM
What do you mean it's not awesome: Breakfast (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXGWZxI9lAs)

Gasp! They're making a Cryptonomicon movie?

MagMagus
2009-05-22, 05:04 PM
I just finished watching GaoGaiGar. It's a good show, but I got tired of it after eight discs. Next: Ouran.

hanzo66
2009-05-22, 05:47 PM
"Gee, Haruhi, what are we going to do tomorrow night?"

"The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world!"

The temptation to have Haruhi call Kyon "Pinky" was too much to resist. And the Evil League of Evil (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DrHorriblesSingAlongBlog) should be involved somehow.

Haruhi riding Bad Horse Vs. Captain Hammer while Kyon and Billy stand aside to watch?

*Press automated response button*
I am interested in your product. Tell Me More.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-05-22, 07:42 PM
I saw this a while back on /m/ and want to share it, so enjoy.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/LordIames/Miscellaneous/1239664068741.jpg

Kato
2009-05-23, 02:17 PM
I don't know if I should respond with 'WTH?' or 'kawaiiiiiiiiiii!!!!'...

Anyway, due to tv-tropes I stumbled upon Shinkon Gattai Godannar which I am about halfway thorugh no and it... now, at least it runs quite smoothly. (seen 11 episodes already and hardly noticed it) The best description I can come up with is 'somene saw G Gundam and decided it lacked Ecchi' and therefore... they wrote this. Though, actual sex seems to be of no utter importance (actually disturbing since two characters are newly wed) Anyway, it is quite a lot of fun so far if you don't expect anything serious from it. I'm not entirely sure if they intended to make it hilarious or if it was an accident, but... yeah, it works out fine, imo.
Anyone else seen it or someone who might get interested now?

Closet_Skeleton
2009-05-23, 04:12 PM
I don't know if I should respond with 'WTH?' or 'kawaiiiiiiiiiii!!!!'...

Anyway, due to tv-tropes I stumbled upon Shinkon Gattai Godannar which I am about halfway thorugh no and it... now, at least it runs quite smoothly. (seen 11 episodes already and hardly noticed it) The best description I can come up with is 'somene saw G Gundam and decided it lacked Ecchi' and therefore... they wrote this. Though, actual sex seems to be of no utter importance (actually disturbing since two characters are newly wed) Anyway, it is quite a lot of fun so far if you don't expect anything serious from it. I'm not entirely sure if they intended to make it hilarious or if it was an accident, but... yeah, it works out fine, imo.
Anyone else seen it or someone who might get interested now?

Watched a few episodes until my parents gave up.

Supposedly most of the monsters of the week have strong resemblence to zerg from Starcraft but I never noticed this myself.

Cubey
2009-05-23, 04:40 PM
You were watching Godannar, out of all the series, with your *parents*? It must've felt really awkward.

Fri
2009-05-23, 09:55 PM
Well, if my memory serves me well, his parents also gave him porn as gift or something.

nothingclever
2009-05-24, 12:20 AM
Here's a question for Closet-Skeleton, what anime family best represents yours?

By the way I really like the title of this new thread. I only use one finger to type. It is my typing FINGER!

Closet_Skeleton
2009-05-24, 04:10 AM
You were watching Godannar, out of all the series, with your *parents*? It must've felt really awkward.

Oddly enough, not at all (I've watched Mnemnosyne [sp], Speed Grapher and Gantz with them). I rarely watch anything on my own so I'm able to watch pretty much everything with them.

Here's a question for Closet-Skeleton, what anime family best represents yours?

None, they're not zany at all.

Kato
2009-05-24, 05:08 AM
Supposedly most of the monsters of the week have strong resemblence to zerg from Starcraft but I never noticed this myself.

Dunno, they felt kind of more like something from the Starship Troopers movie to me.

JeminiZero
2009-05-24, 07:16 PM
So I just finished that famous Gainax series starring a boy pilotting an emotionally responsive Mecha. Along with a certain long red haired female, and an artificial girl.

*sigh*

And I'm beginning to understand a bit better where they get the term "Gainax Ending".

NIIAAA!!!! Why did they kill her?! (Don't answer that, I'm aware its because Gainax likes to mindscrew their fans).

And in case you were wondering, yes, I was intentionally baiting Evangelion.

Remind me never to watch anything by Gainax ever again.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-05-24, 07:40 PM
I thought the ending to that series was well-done and emotionally satisfying, personally.

Shades of Gray
2009-05-24, 07:41 PM
Has anyone watched "Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei"? It's the most deliciously absurd anime I've ever seen.

Tengu_temp
2009-05-24, 08:11 PM
I thought the ending to that series was well-done and emotionally satisfying, personally.

Same here. It wasn't even a bittersweet ending - if a bittersweet ending is a happy ending with some elements of a downer ending, then this was a happy ending with some elements of a bittersweet ending.

Fri
2009-05-24, 08:35 PM
Has anyone watched "Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei"? It's the most deliciously absurd anime I've ever seen.

My favourite anime here. I still watch it once in a while. But is it because the absurdity or the girls, I still don't know. I think closet also kinda like it.

Sovilous
2009-05-24, 08:46 PM
Guys, I signed up to say this, HOLY CRAP A NANOHA MOVIE I REALLY NEED TO GO WATCH STRIKER S NOW. Also, holy crap, new Haruhi coming out, I really need to finish watching that. And... also Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei... and the forty-some episodes of Mobile Suit Gundam I have left... and, well, you get the idea.

Also, I kind of hope that they also make a movie retread of Nanoha A's, because, well, I loved it, but it kind of fell apart at a few points. A new version of it with consistently good-quality animation and a less-boring final fight scene would be lovely.

And... I'm probably not going to post anything again, so, uh, bye.

Shades of Gray
2009-05-24, 09:16 PM
My favourite anime here. I still watch it once in a while. But is it because the absurdity or the girls, I still don't know. I think closet also kinda like it.

Komori-Kiri is currently staring at me from my desktop. I'm just annoyed that a few of the Japanese culture jokes are beyond me, and it was painful to watch the scene with Goku and his trying to find the OOOO by "opening things", I had to get my japanese friend to explain it.

darkblade
2009-05-24, 09:49 PM
So I just finished that famous Gainax series starring a boy pilotting an emotionally responsive Mecha. Along with a certain long red haired female, and an artificial girl.

*sigh*

And I'm beginning to understand a bit better where they get the term "Gainax Ending".

NIIAAA!!!! Why did they kill her?! (Don't answer that, I'm aware its because Gainax likes to mindscrew their fans).

And in case you were wondering, yes, I was intentionally baiting Evangelion.

Remind me never to watch anything by Gainax ever again.

So would that be the movie or the series ending?

The series ending episodes were good as episodes but were terrible and useless as a wrap up of the narrative. If you accept them for what they are (a break from the story to psychoanalylse the main characters) and not as an actual ending it will likely seem a lot more straight forward, less mindscrewy and more enjoyable.

The movie really seemed like more of a giant middle finger directed at the fanbase. It wrapped up the story sort of and fulfilled (with appropriate Gainax dark twists) many fan desires for the series and it seemed decent enough on it's own but the more you think about it afterwards the less sense it makes. Not in a mind scew manner though more in a giant friggin plot holes you could run giant freudian clone jesus robots through.

Overall I don't see how people thought the series was that mindscrewy when it was very straight forward, just with large plot holes. Themeatically its as blunt as the ending of a Captain Planet episode.

Fri
2009-05-24, 11:48 PM
Komori-Kiri is currently staring at me from my desktop. I'm just annoyed that a few of the Japanese culture jokes are beyond me, and it was painful to watch the scene with Goku and his trying to find the OOOO by "opening things", I had to get my japanese friend to explain it.

I'm more partial to kafuka myself. The first... 5 or 6 episode of the first season was the best thing I've ever watched in my somewhat humble opinion, especially the first episode.

Too bad that it got somewhat weaker after that.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-05-25, 12:25 AM
So would that be the movie or the series ending? Darkblade, you need to work on your reading comprehension. Although to be fair, "NIIIIIIAAAAAA!!" does sound kind of like what a man might shout as his psyche broke after watching Evangelion.

As for you, Gemini Zero: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is not a Gainax Ending. A Gainax ending is obscure, obtuse, opaque, and often underbudgeted ("You ran outta ink again, didn't you, ya bastards?"). Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann has a happy ending with one or two sad moments to tie its themes up nicely. Some people just can't handle a little sacrifice for the good of the Universe.

JeminiZero
2009-05-25, 04:10 AM
As for you, Gemini Zero: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is not a Gainax Ending. A Gainax ending is obscure, obtuse, opaque, and often underbudgeted ("You ran outta ink again, didn't you, ya bastards?"). Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann has a happy ending with one or two sad moments to tie its themes up nicely. Some people just can't handle a little sacrifice for the good of the Universe.

Yes it does show how far Simon has matured since Kamina's death. But it feels utterly unnecessary. I can accept some sacrifice as par for the course of winning a war. The Nia's dissappearance feels like it was completely ass-pulled by Gainax writers just so as to tick off (some) fans.

I've read through the discussion thread at animesuki. People who complain about how Simon could have sustained her, with the other side arguing that the spiral voodoo science may not be able to pull off stuff like that.

But that ignores the fact it requires just as much (if not more) voodoo science to explain why she would dissappear after the AntiSpiral's demise. Come on? Artificial Lifeform? Wasn't she Genome's daughter who just so *happened* randomly happened to have anti-spiral genes? Incidentally, genes are also completely autonomous, able to sustain themselves without the existence of some 10/11th home dimension.

Prime32
2009-05-25, 06:54 AM
Yes it does show how far Simon has matured since Kamina's death. But it feels utterly unnecessary. I can accept some sacrifice as par for the course of winning a war. The Nia's dissappearance feels like it was completely ass-pulled by Gainax writers just so as to tick off (some) fans.

I've read through the discussion thread at animesuki. People who complain about how Simon could have sustained her, with the other side arguing that the spiral voodoo science may not be able to pull off stuff like that.

But that ignores the fact it requires just as much (if not more) voodoo science to explain why she would dissappear after the AntiSpiral's demise. Come on? Artificial Lifeform? Wasn't she Genome's daughter who just so *happened* randomly happened to have anti-spiral genes? Incidentally, genes are also completely autonomous, able to sustain themselves without the existence of some 10/11th home dimension.
But that would be living in the past, which is the opposite of Spiral Power. If Simon did that, the human race would stagnate and eventually be wiped out by Spiral Nemesis. Simon promised he wouldn't let that happen.

kamikasei
2009-05-25, 06:58 AM
Regardless of whether you found the ending of TTGL bittersweet or depressing, it's not a Gainax Ending. As Nerdo points out, the term refers to something else entirely.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-05-25, 07:04 AM
I'm more partial to kafuka myself. The first... 5 or 6 episode of the first season was the best thing I've ever watched in my somewhat humble opinion, especially the first episode.

Too bad that it got somewhat weaker after that.

I found myself liking Nami Hito. Just to be differant.

darkblade
2009-05-25, 07:36 AM
Darkblade, you need to work on your reading comprehension. Although to be fair, "NIIIIIIAAAAAA!!" does sound kind of like what a man might shout as his psyche broke after watching Evangelion.

I saw that it was baiting thank you. I just like playing with the fishermen.

JeminiZero
2009-05-25, 07:49 AM
But that would be living in the past, which is the opposite of Spiral Power. If Simon did that, the human race would stagnate and eventually be wiped out by Spiral Nemesis. Simon promised he wouldn't let that happen.

You misunderstand. I'm not saying he must save her at all cost. I can appreciate why he could not abuse Spiral power in that manner. (There is another debate as to whether spiral energy was necessary to save her at all, given that cloning and body reconstruction was already highly advanced ala the resurrected Lord Genome).

I'm saying that she shouldn't need saving in the first place. Linking the destruction of the Anti-Spiral to Nia's dissappearance was an utterly arbitrary ass-pulled voodoo science plot device, simply designed to tick off (some) folks. Its like saying shooting Victor Frankenstein would cause his monster to die as well.

Edit: Spoilers

kamikasei
2009-05-25, 07:54 AM
Linking the destruction of the Anti-Spiral to Nia's dissappearance was an utterly arbitrary ass-pulled voodoo science plot device, simply designed to tick off (some) folks.

Or it's an entirely typical bit of pseudoscience used to create a dramatic situation where Simon must choose between selfishness and heroic sacrifice.

Shouldn't all this stuff be in spoiler tags anyway?

Closet_Skeleton
2009-05-25, 08:25 AM
You misunderstand. I'm not saying he must save her at all cost. I can appreciate why he could not abuse Spiral power in that manner. (There is another debate as to whether spiral energy was necessary to save her at all, given that cloning and body reconstruction was already highly advanced ala the resurrected Lord Genome).

I'm saying that she shouldn't need saving in the first place. Linking the destruction of the Anti-Spiral to Nia's dissappearance was an utterly arbitrary ass-pulled voodoo science plot device, simply designed to tick off (some) folks. Its like saying shooting Victor Frankenstein would cause his monster to die as well.

Edit: Spoilers

tvtropes strikes. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoOntologicalInertia)

Cubey
2009-05-25, 09:56 AM
I have a recently developed theory. It explains the OOC reasons for the bad things that happened in TTGL, both the last episode and episode #8.

And that is: it's easy to be a hero when everything goes your way and when you win each conflict with no important character casualties. But that creates an Invincible Boring Hero. There's no tension and no drama.
But if you have a character who suffers, whose friends (established characters, and not just some redshirts who were introduced only to be killed) die, who loses things that are important for him - and still doesn't break, still comes out on top and still saves the goddamn universe against all odds, then that feels really heroic. It shows that the show is Idealistic on the scale not because of some author fiat, but because the main characters are so determined that they just REFUSE. TO. LET. CYNICS. WIN. Even when they suffer difficulties, they have the willpower not to be broken.
This is the out of character reason why
(Should I even bother with spoilers? Seems everyone knows this already)

Nia, and Kamina, though in the latter's case it was also about Simon having to learn to stand on his own
had to die. Well, not necessarily these characters exactly, but someone as close to Simon and the viewers as they were.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-05-25, 10:51 AM
Cubey explained what I was trying to with more words.

I saw that it was baiting thank you. I just like playing with the fishermen.That was an awful lot of counter-baiting, so it threw me off.

Comet
2009-05-25, 11:29 AM
I love how everything on the Internet is about baits, counter-baits, [sarcasm] tags and such. Makes me mighty paranoid, it does :smallwink:

I never felt like TTGL had a particularly tragic or surprising ending. I remember there being quite a few signs of the end a few episodes earlier so it really didn't feel like a surprise or an ass-pull.

It was, however, awesome. I can't think of a more natural solution to a story that is basically about breaking the laws of the universe over and over again.

Kris Strife
2009-05-27, 07:51 AM
I just finished the series, up to The Lights in the Sky are Stars. I actually saw the ending coming, though I have to wonder, why didnt Simone go to a Super Spiral Dimension? If it turned Lordgenome from a head back to his old self, because it makes thought into reality, why cant the dead live again in it?

Also, does anyone else think Simone has gained Lordgenome's Spiral Power immortality, that he can channel Spiral Power without a core drill or that the series isnt 100% over?

Cubey
2009-05-27, 07:58 AM
I just finished the series, up to The Lights in the Sky are Stars. I actually saw the ending coming, though I have to wonder, why didnt Simone go to a Super Spiral Dimension? If it turned Lordgenome from a head back to his old self, because it makes thought into reality, why cant the dead live again in it?

Conservation of energy and matter. Overuse of Spiral Power will cause the Spiral Nemesis - cold death of the universe. And if Simon managed to find a way to return the dead back to life, there is no way that he would just use it on his friends, he's good and fair enough that he'd do it for anyone who asked.
Which means that basically no one would ever die. Thus, Spiral Nemesis would draw closer.

Kris Strife
2009-05-27, 10:00 AM
Conservation of energy and matter. Overuse of Spiral Power will cause the Spiral Nemesis - cold death of the universe. And if Simon managed to find a way to return the dead back to life, there is no way that he would just use it on his friends, he's good and fair enough that he'd do it for anyone who asked.
Which means that basically no one would ever die. Thus, Spiral Nemesis would draw closer.

I got that part. I meant why didnt he make a pocket universe for himself?

Nerd-o-rama
2009-05-27, 10:51 AM
Because that would have caused similar issues with physics, and been very selfish. Simon is anything but selfish.

hanzo66
2009-05-27, 07:28 PM

Also, does anyone else think Simone has gained Lordgenome's Spiral Power immortality, that he can channel Spiral Power without a core drill or that the series isnt 100% over?

Perhaps, but it seems that for the TTGL Universe, Simon realizes his part of the story is over. He's willing to step down and let humanity take it's course, with him probably helping from the shadows rather than leading from the front. He trusts his friends to take the world in the right way and go the Good Ending rather than see his world become The Imperium.

I liked the ending for Simon. It wasn't overly tragic, merely a bit bittersweet, being something of a reminder that there are things that sometimes just need to take place naturally. Sure Kamina might end up Suplexing the Grim Reaper and Dropkicking denizens of the Netherworld to get his way, but that would probably just blow up the universe... In a very bad way.

Simon however is The Kirk (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheKirk) to Rossiu's Spock (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheSpock) and Kamina's McCoy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheMcCoy). While certainly determined Simon does have enough points in Wisdom to understand what the right decision would be.

Artemician
2009-05-29, 11:08 AM
All this talk about TTGL is tiresome, let's pursue a different path of conversation!

I'm currently torn between what to watch after I finish Cowboy Bebop. My two usual friends who recommend stuff are at loggerheads, one says watch Higashi no Eden, and the other says watch GunXSword. I dont have time to do both.

Hmm.

Fri
2009-05-29, 11:34 AM
Haven't watched eden of the east( though meaning to) but this thread seems to react favorably to it.

It depends on your mood actually. Eden of the east is more serious, drama/hard sci fi. Gun x Sword is a spaghetti western with mech. And it got Mexican Gao Gai Gar.

Tyracus
2009-05-29, 06:17 PM
Thoughts on the newest Shonen Jump Manga

Naruto:
And the plot continues to fall flat. I don't recall what happened to Shizune to kill her but she's back. Kakkashi coming back means more coolness can come from him. On the whole I'd like more action like the battle at the valley of the end and less of this moral discussion getting shoved down our throats. I'm also mad that Sakura did NOTHING again, I thought they fixed that after the time skip but now she's playing the meek and helpless role again which irritates me (but does give me more hope for a dynamic NaruxHina relationship). I'll keep reading for a while just because at this point I'm plot committed but it really seems to be so much more about the title character now that it's annoying. The return of our little Uchiha friend will give the fangirls something to squeal over and with his declaration we grow closer to more slashfiction Foe-Yay.

Bleach:
Still suffering from trying to keep the battles in sync but we get to see my favorite Captain lay the smack down. I love Hitsugaya (who my spell check thinks should be Whitsunday WTH?) because his powers are so dynamic and it's rare to see ice powers and they have the potential for being so much more dynamic than fire which is HORRIBLY overdone. Soi Fon is finally showing her stuff which is going to be crazy given that she has only been using her Shikai up until now. I still miss the quality of the Soul Society arc but it's still better than Naruto.

Also thoughts on Valkyria Chronicles:
Up to 8 now and I do enjoy the anime but not as much as the game. The Welkin/Alicia dynamic is off, mostly on the Alicia side, Welkin seems to suffer from the plot changes that seem to be "cut all the battles out of the war anime" style. Barious makes me mad because not only did they shaft events around Naggiar they also got rid of one of the first truly frantic battles of the game (first battle I lost because of the advent of "she-who-pwns-with-a-lance"). I was looking forward to that one for how well it could have been done. The producers apparently decided that Faldio needed to be changed from the game. Given what's happening in the anime I really don't see the end of it following the game as closely, especially when Faldio shoots Alicia to awaken her powers. Faldo just doesn't seem cold/logical enough. Unless they start making some changes I think that scene will just fall flat.

Cúchulainn
2009-05-29, 06:32 PM
Just watched Eden of the East ep 5, it's getting kind of slow paced but I'm watching purely for the characters and Juiz. Heck yeah Juiz. I've also heard good things about Phantom Requiem for the Phantom so that's next on my list, plus watching Haruhi Suzumiya inbetween because everyone has seen it but me.

I finished watching Welcome to the NHK a few weeks ago, it was pretty good. The ending was okay. Pretty average but a solid timesink nonetheless. I probably won't be reading the manga, I'll just leave it at that.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-05-29, 06:39 PM
Stupid Bleach, they finally do something I've been waiting for for a while and decide not to show it until the next chapter.

Does Tite Kubo think he's Scheherazade or something?

Tengu_temp
2009-05-29, 06:44 PM
Maybe he does. Do you think his executives would kill him if he finished one arc and didn't start another?

KnightDisciple
2009-05-29, 06:49 PM
Maybe he does. Do you think his executives would kill him if he finished one arc and didn't start another?

...Him being held hostage like that would explain so much.

Cubey
2009-05-29, 07:05 PM
Just watched Eden of the East ep 5, it's getting kind of slow paced but I'm watching purely for the characters and Juiz.

Gets better. I was afraid the series would go into the Selecao of the Week format, but fortunately it didn't. I really like Eden of the East, it's great overall.
It also really likes the world Johnny.

Fri
2009-05-30, 03:00 AM
I finished watching Welcome to the NHK a few weeks ago, it was pretty good. The ending was okay. Pretty average but a solid timesink nonetheless. I probably won't be reading the manga, I'll just leave it at that.

The manga is like, 175,38% funnier and more dramatic than the anime. Seriously. The anime isn't that bad, but the manga is way, way, way better.

Rogue 7
2009-05-31, 06:58 PM
Thoughts on the newest Shonen Jump Manga

Naruto:
And the plot continues to fall flat. I don't recall what happened to Shizune to kill her but she's back. Kakkashi coming back means more coolness can come from him. On the whole I'd like more action like the battle at the valley of the end and less of this moral discussion getting shoved down our throats. I'm also mad that Sakura did NOTHING again, I thought they fixed that after the time skip but now she's playing the meek and helpless role again which irritates me (but does give me more hope for a dynamic NaruxHina relationship). I'll keep reading for a while just because at this point I'm plot committed but it really seems to be so much more about the title character now that it's annoying. The return of our little Uchiha friend will give the fangirls something to squeal over and with his declaration we grow closer to more slashfiction Foe-Yay.

I thought the battle we got between Naruto and all six of Pain's bodies counted well enough. Bleach has shown me that absolutely constant action like we got is tiresome after a while. I don't think Sakura's been meek and helpless so much as "Confined to the background like just about everyone." And while I appreciate the revival from the view of Pain's character arc, it disappoints me that the more serious tone the manga was taking with all the character deaths has been avoided. I still very much enjoy this one.

Bleach:
Still suffering from trying to keep the battles in sync but we get to see my favorite Captain lay the smack down. I love Hitsugaya (who my spell check thinks should be Whitsunday WTH?) because his powers are so dynamic and it's rare to see ice powers and they have the potential for being so much more dynamic than fire which is HORRIBLY overdone. Soi Fon is finally showing her stuff which is going to be crazy given that she has only been using her Shikai up until now. I still miss the quality of the Soul Society arc but it's still better than Naruto.

Agreed with everything except that I think Naruto is the better manga right now.

Alright, so I went to see Star Trek today, and there was a trailer for the new G.I. Joe movie. I mention this in the anime discussion thread because the power armor they were showing off had a fist thing that looks exactly like Revolver Knuckle. I am almost tempted to see the movie solely to confirm this fact.

Kato
2009-06-01, 05:20 AM
Hey pals, I just had am mind wrecking experience. Yeah, I watched End of Evangelion. Actually, it was... disturbingly logical overall, I kind of expected lots of uncomprehensible stuff but there was only few of it. Guess I better spoiler the rest...

Where to start... atr the disturbing gfirst minute? 'I'm so ****ed up.' Yes Shinji, so very true, but... it's Asuka, we all would have done it.
No, the overll stuff was pretty fine, I guess, a little much of gore when the Evas ripped 02 apart and when Asuka's arm got severed (i don't think i will ever see that many entrails again, and I don't want to either)
I wionder if that third eye on Lilith/Rei's forehead really was suppossed to look like what it looked like.

Okay, serious, am I the only one picturing it as a giant vagina?

Then Shinji's choice worked out wuite fine I guess, and the whole dream stuff. The only thing at the end that really freaked me out was Shinji chokling Asuka. Wth, does this guy really have issues so bad? Was this supposed to be some kind of message I didn't get? ... I... dang it. Guess I'll stop trying to understand. But maybe someone can explain it to me anyway.
Oh, and I liked those last moments of Gendo. It was a little chlicheed but meh.

On another note, I liked the latest Naruto chapter, good enough, Glad the arc is over at least and I hope the next one will be the finale one.

Dispozition
2009-06-01, 05:33 AM
I wonder if that third eye on Lilith/Rei's forehead really was suppossed to look like what it looked like.

Okay, serious, am I the only one picturing it as a giant vagina?

I saw that too, don't worry. Probably is supposed to represent that to some extent as well...

Coidzor
2009-06-01, 07:04 AM
Considering that Lilith is the mother of monsters. Yes, there should be some kind of horrifying reference to female fertility about her.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-06-01, 10:55 AM
Plus, you know, Shinji's whole massive Oedipus complex thing.

Kris Strife
2009-06-01, 12:28 PM
Tengu, is your avatar picture of Rorshach stealing Batman's pies? Cause if so, that's terrible.

Sorry for the derail...

So, are there any plans to bring Gundam Z, ZZ, Char's counter-attack etc over to the US or are we stuck with the preachy soap opera that is Gundam Seed?

Nerd-o-rama
2009-06-01, 12:41 PM
Lurking /m/, I haven't heard anything about localizations for any of the old shows that haven't been done yet. At least the dub of Gundam 00 is pretty good, and we have the classic but kinda lolworthy localizations of 0079, Wing, and G.

Also, I should probably point out that with the possible exception of G Gundam, all Gundam is a preachy soap opera. It's just kind of the theme of the franchise.

Kris Strife
2009-06-01, 12:50 PM
Lurking /m/, I haven't heard anything about localizations for any of the old shows that haven't been done yet. At least the dub of Gundam 00 is pretty good, and we have the classic but kinda lolworthy localizations of 0079, Wing, and G.
I think G may have been translated properly. It seems to be something the Gundam series people wrote because they got tired of all the bull crap and just wanted to have a bunch of crazy robot fights.

[/quote]Also, I should probably point out that with the possible exception of G Gundam, all Gundam is a preachy soap opera. It's just kind of the theme of the franchise.[/QUOTE]
Eh... A little preaching in G as well (although it seems to advocate domestic violence: 'Show your feelings... With your fists!'), but Seed seems to be especially bad, considering I tuned into one episode part way through and I think Lacus was talking to her fiancee, then started thinking about someone on the opposite side of the war she had feelings for.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-06-01, 12:56 PM
Yeah, the level of soap opera varies, and SEED's on the high end (being intentionally more of a character drama than a war story), but it's always there.

And I know G was translated reasonably well and it's silly in the first place, it was just really badly dubbed. Except for Domon's yelling.

Kris Strife
2009-06-01, 12:59 PM
And I know G was translated reasonably well and it's silly in the first place, it was just really badly dubbed. Except for Domon's yelling.
Characters other than Domone and Master Asia had meaningful lines? :O
That was totally a joke if anyone couldn't tell. :p

Tengu_temp
2009-06-01, 02:01 PM
Tengu, is your avatar picture of Rorshach stealing Batman's pies? Cause if so, that's terrible.

That's no Batman, boy. No Batman. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w)

Tyracus
2009-06-01, 02:50 PM
That's no Batman, boy. No Batman. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w)

Have to love your saturday morning Watchmen. You could probably do it with the events prior to the Graphic Novel but I dont think it'd ever work with Rorshach (who the movie made creepier in some ways, not that I imagined that could happen).

nothingclever
2009-06-02, 02:02 PM
I love how Ali Project almost never disappoints me.
I don't know anything about the anime series "Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom" but I'm enjoying the ending theme it uses made by them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brhZVm9uRVc

Kato
2009-06-03, 07:18 AM
Since the topic of Lulu's character/the end of R2 came up in the Light vs Lulu Thread, and I didn't want it to wander off-topic too far, I thought it neccessary to discuss the topic somewhere else.

So, imo, quite a lot of the 'R2, logical or crap?' (ignoring the thought elevator stuff) depends on each person's view on Lulu's motives and actions.
I think most people who dislike him considered him a complete ass for most of the series (tell me if I'm wrong there) who was mostly aiming for power for one reason or another. So they think of his (let's call it) Heroic Sacrifice to be utter bs and totally out of character.

However, supporters seem to consider all his actions out of a (rather) pure intent with the aim of the good of the world(*coughNunally*cough*) which of course requires some evil deeds to be done. At first he is after revenge for him/his sister (which makes him do some quite evil stuff)/aiming for liberating Japan/destroyig Britannia. Which is, overall, considering whom he wants tp destroy not a bad motive, even though destiny tries to kick his ass on a daily rate. Though, after Nunally is presumably killed his motives get kind of foggy, with revenge being more important than anything else. Under these assumptions (at least to me) his actions are clmost completely logical and his sacrifice in the end (with all the evil needed to make the world a better place blamed on him) the logical conclusion of his actions. (except for how Nunally figured it out when seeing him in the end, and why he kept the bastard Schneizel alive).

So, I dunno, I'd just like the fans/haters to tell me their reasons of favoring the one view or the other. Our of curiosity and stuff.

Prime32
2009-06-03, 07:43 AM
except for how Nunally figured it out when seeing him in the end, and why he kept the bastard Schneizel alive
He kept Schneizel around because he was smart, and the new Zero wasn't. Nunally... is like some kind of living lie detector who can tell your feelings from your pulse. Or something.

UltraDude
2009-06-06, 10:08 AM
He kept Schneizel around because he was smart, and the new Zero wasn't. Nunally... is like some kind of living lie detector who can tell your feelings from your pulse. Or something.

Yeah. With Schneizel subservient to Zero, Zerozaku has someone he can get crazy tactical advice from, what with Suzaku being... well, Suzaku. Good in a KMF, not so much a tactical genius.

Nunally is... yeah. Something.

Fri
2009-06-06, 11:03 AM
I just moved and my new place got amazing internet connection. Any recommendation what to watch?

UltraDude
2009-06-06, 11:12 AM
I just moved and my new place got amazing internet connection. Any recommendation what to watch?

What haven't you watched, and what have you liked in the past?

Fri
2009-06-06, 11:27 AM
Uh... it's me. you know, the macross, patlabor, and sayonara zetsubo sensei guy?

Problem is, my anime watchlist is actually VERY limited. Baring some (macross, patlabor, szb, planetes) I never had a choice on what to watch before. I simply watch whatever anime my friend got when I visit his place. So, when actually facing the vast wasteland of anime choice now, I'm paralyzed.

Yes, actually, the only anime I've ever searched on my own is Macross, patlabor, szb, planetes, and school rumble. Oh, I also rent cowboy bebop, samurai champloo and escaflowne on my own, I guess. Other than that I only watch whatever fate and destiny gave me.

one thing though. For me, the only that anime or movie got compared to manga or book is, anime and movie got soundtrack. So, good music is quite a plus.

UltraDude
2009-06-06, 11:34 AM
Uh... it's me. you know, the macross, patlabor, and sayonara zetsubo sensei guy?

Problem is, my anime watchlist is actually VERY limited. Baring some (macross, patlabor, szb, planetes) I never had a choice on what to watch before. I simply watch whatever anime my friend got when I visit his place. So, when actually facing the vast wasteland of anime choice now, I'm paralyzed.

Yes, actually, the only anime I've ever searched for my own is Macross, patlabor, szb, planetes, and school rumble. Other than that I only watch whatever fate and destiny gave me.

What, you expect me to actually remember people on all my forums :smallbiggrin:

Hrm. Well I'd recommend Rideback, kinda slow paced early on, but only 13 episodes so it's not a huge waste of time if you end up not liking it much. I could recommend a few specific Gundam series like Turn A, 08th MS Team, 0080, and Zeta, all of them hitting different areas of appeal as well. Also, definitely recommend Big O, Escaflowne, Nanoha (A's at least, the others are certainly less loved).

Aside from mecha, Lovely Complex is a fine romantic comedy type, Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad is supposed to be especially great if you like music, and if I hadn't just had my harddrive splattered I'd be watching Baccano right now. Afro Samurai is dark and violent, but very stylish (be warned if you really dislike rap in general), Samurai Champloo is like Cowboy Bebop with more hip-hop samurai, and Black Lagoon is just crazy and fun.

Fri
2009-06-06, 11:38 AM
Right! Now I remember I've only watched the first two episode of 8th ms team. Watching that now.

Beck's manga is great, but I don't really think the anime will hold. I mean, in the manga, they're like the greatest band ever appeared in japan. It's better done in print :D

Baccano is watched. I love it.

Black lagoon... hmm. Might be interesting.

UltraDude
2009-06-06, 11:41 AM
Beck anime has an actual soundtrack, which sounds very nice for a story about music. And I've heard that it really is a lot of good music too, so I'd definitely rather watch the anime.

I've only read the Black Lagoon manga (not finished either, but the arcs hold up independently), but it's funny and full of action. The humor can get pretty raunchy - a certain scene with Balalaika comes to mind, anyone else who's read/watched - but it's done well, and the characters are all pretty interesting.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-06-06, 11:49 AM
So, imo, quite a lot of the 'R2, logical or crap?' (ignoring the thought elevator stuff) depends on each person's view on Lulu's motives and actions.
I think most people who dislike him considered him a complete ass for most of the series (tell me if I'm wrong there) who was mostly aiming for power for one reason or another. So they think of his (let's call it) Heroic Sacrifice to be utter bs and totally out of character.
Lelouch never had a consistent character development. Light Yagami is a pretty consistent character.

That is, Light is an utter hypocrite who is secretly in love with himself and is willing to reward blind dogmatism over independent thought. He is pretty much always this way in the manga/anime and we pretty much never expect him to change his ways.

Lelouch, by comparison, doesn't quite evolve a character the way you'd expect him to. An event occurs that you would think would logically make him sympathize (more than he already does) with the plight of the Japanese, under the understanding that they actually do have more of a mutual cause then he previously understood. There's only so long that Lelouch should be able to compartmentalize his personal life and problems from the Black Knights, who share the same motives he does, before he essentially becomes one of them, rather than apart from them.

However, he oscillates from being an utter bastard to being sympathetic, with little rhyme or reason. His character doesn't change. He's one or the other depending on whatever soap opera drama the writers were in the mood to enact at the moment. Shirley herself gets brain-zapped three or four times before the writers sensibly killed her off. I say that it is sensible because Shirley clearly wasn't having any impact on Lelouch's story anymore.

Lelouch's sacrifice was essentially the Magical Messianic Blood Sacrifice. That is, it's the biggest cop-out ending ever and literally one of the oldest stories in the book. People don't suddenly stop fighting because a person that they symbolize as Evil Incarnate dies. They'd start fighting the people that really do cause their problems and try to get a piece of what they see as rightfully theirs. Unless Britannian nobles suddenly stopped thinking they're better than everybody else and the Japanese suddenly stop thinking that they should be more than glorified serfs, little is actually going to change.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-06-06, 12:25 PM
Fri...your avatar...it looks like someone cosplaying as Fate Testarossa, but I have no idea who.

UltraDude
2009-06-06, 02:06 PM
Lurker, I think Lelouch had secretly set a bunch of stuff in motion to neuter the nobility as much as one man could. Granted, how effective it would be is another thing entirely...

Terraoblivion
2009-06-06, 03:13 PM
I am quite sure it is Elizabeth, his character in Tengu's steampunk game.

Fri
2009-06-06, 03:21 PM
Can't let you got the only original cute female mech pilot as avatar, nerdo :smalltongue:

Terraoblivion
2009-06-06, 03:26 PM
Nerdo's avatar isn't a mecha pilot though. It is a weirdly hyper version of Signum.

Prime32
2009-06-06, 03:33 PM
Well, I've got this if anyone wants it. :smalltongue:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd54/Prime32_temp/OotS/oots_vita.png

Lelouch's sacrifice was essentially the Magical Messianic Blood Sacrifice. That is, it's the biggest cop-out ending ever and literally one of the oldest stories in the book. People don't suddenly stop fighting because a person that they symbolize as Evil Incarnate dies. They'd start fighting the people that really do cause their problems and try to get a piece of what they see as rightfully theirs. Unless Britannian nobles suddenly stopped thinking they're better than everybody else and the Japanese suddenly stop thinking that they should be more than glorified serfs, little is actually going to change.Kallen mentiones in the ending that the world's problems are by no means over, but the Zero Requiem gave the initial push towards change.

Comet
2009-06-06, 04:08 PM
Just watched the first episode of Macross Zero. Fun, fun, fun. Not enough singing, though.

Also, is the second episode of Haruhi Suzumiya season 2 out yet? I'd hate to miss that.

Terraoblivion
2009-06-06, 04:14 PM
Season 2 is interwoven with a re-broadcast of season 1. One new episode is out already, but the rest aren't, i believe.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-06-06, 04:22 PM
Nerdo's avatar isn't a mecha pilot though. It is a weirdly hyper version of Signum.First: Lamia.

Second: Look in my sig. Or at my avatar on myth-weavers.

Fri
2009-06-06, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I'm talking about Rin :smalltongue:

Prime32
2009-06-06, 07:39 PM
Huh? :smallconfused:
http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/8331/rin7pl.png
I actually do know what you're talking about.. I skimmed EwGR for ideas a while back :p

Fri
2009-06-06, 07:47 PM
... this Rin

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4121/changlinglv1.png

hanzo66
2009-06-06, 10:06 PM
Kallen mentiones in the ending that the world's problems are by no means over, but the Zero Requiem gave the initial push towards change.

Oh, I'm sure that there will be some Smug Snake Warmongering Noble/Officer since backstabbing and assassination is mentally ingrained within Britannian society, ala A Song of Fire and Ice. Either that or there's going to be some other individual of Non-Britannian Nationality who's pissed off at how Britannia's not run to the ground as of now. Or there's going to be an Ali Al-Saachez-like Complete Monster who just wants to start some crap for Poopz and Giggulz.

Still, I'm sure Lulu's built in some contingency plan for such events, barring completely asspulled random supernatural Plot Device unrelated to Geass or Ragnarok.

In other news, I found this little thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDbZtu7Kls0&feature=related).

Prime32
2009-06-07, 12:27 PM
... this Rin

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4121/changlinglv1.png
Someone can't read the white text. :smallwink:

In other news, I found this little thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDbZtu7Kls0&feature=related).Oh, you only found that now? :smalltongue: I don't think it's an actual game though, just a series of videos... with no male characters.

Fri
2009-06-07, 01:05 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/smilies/oots/mitd.gif white text? what white text?

Tengu_temp
2009-06-07, 01:14 PM
In other news, I found this little thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDbZtu7Kls0&feature=related).

Tell me this is a real game.

Drascin
2009-06-07, 04:30 PM
Tell me this is a real game.

Nope. I found it a lot ago, and basically went stupid scouring the internet for it before I found out it's just a series of doujin videos.

Yeah, I can understand you, I also really wanted it to be real. Sigh :smallsigh:. Maybe some time...

Prime32
2009-06-11, 08:54 AM
Look at this
Link 1 (http://kotaku.com/5285082/enormous-gundam-is-done)
Link 2 (http://punynari.wordpress.com/2009/06/09/assembled-life-sized-rx78-gundam-part-1/)
Link 3 (http://ngeekhiong.blogspot.com/2009/06/11-scale-gundam-rx-78-2-featured-on-bbc.html)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dW7jdVzJn8E/Si6Bk8tjkvI/AAAAAAAADEA/u9k45muUncQ/s400/3.jpg
Not photoshopped :smallbiggrin:

Tengu_temp
2009-06-11, 09:32 AM
Pity it's not enterable.

KnightDisciple
2009-06-11, 09:33 AM
...IT'S A GUNDAAMM!!!
*Explodes*

Fri
2009-06-11, 10:11 AM
Remember my MAID RPG plan?

http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs45/f/2009/162/0/a/My_Girl_is_an_Evil_Overlord_by_Fri_Freeman.jpg

It might be realized in the near future. I already got the ruleset, now I'm trying to get a grasp on it and polishing the campaign idea/plotline.

I've even already draw myself an illustration :smallbiggrin:! That means business :smallamused:.

Now... to find a good name generator. Damnit, I'm really bad at naming characters...

KnightDisciple
2009-06-11, 10:14 AM
This site (http://www.behindthename.com/) has a great database of names of all kinds.

Assuming you're not going fore really fantastic names, it ought to help out.

Prime32
2009-06-11, 10:52 AM
...IT'S A GUNDAAMM!!!
*Explodes*

The Japanese armed forces are already using Gundams.

The code name for the under-development Japan Self-Defense Forces advanced personal combat equipment is "Gundam". On the display exhibition on 7 November 2007, the equipment of the set contains infra-red camera and scope that can verify the incoming target is friend or foe, along with a monitor display that can browse the internet. The equipment has a total weight of 9 kg and the powered suit can run for 8 hours. The testing team consisting of troopers claims that the major improvement should be focused on increasing the battery life of the system. The researchers are also aiming for funnel type systems including missiles that can stay/hover in air and mini scouting robots.
Told ya. :smallbiggrin:

KnightDisciple
2009-06-11, 10:59 AM

:smalleek::smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:
....WANT!

Fri
2009-06-11, 11:00 AM
Well, they do have T-52 Enryu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enryu), the one and only real deployable mass produced pilot-inside two-handed mech. They only need to add legs, and it's done.

So, it will be a railgun vs mech duel in the future then.

Prime32
2009-06-11, 11:13 AM
Well, they do have T-52 Enryu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enryu), the one and only real deployable mass produced pilot-inside two-handed mech. They only need to add legs, and it's done.

So, it will be a railgun vs mech duel in the future then.
That's right, they have two rescue robots named BanRyu and EnRyu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS_Esyb2vBE&fmt=18). :smallbiggrin:

Then there's that android (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCR2PFrLkwA&fmt=18)... (seen here cosplaying Chii (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPqTts0TSEU&fmt=18)) - she recently had a copy of Vocaloid installed, so now Miku Hatsune (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUpIjWAWDuQ&fmt=18) has the potential to make live appearances. :smalltongue:

Kris Strife
2009-06-11, 11:36 AM

Not to be overly picky, but does it make that ptwang noise when you walk? You know the one I'm talking about.

Edit: This also sounds more like a Qubeley than a gundam.

Tengu_temp
2009-06-11, 11:45 AM
Nu Gundam uses funnels too.

Fri
2009-06-11, 11:52 AM
Now, the burning question is...

T-52 Enryu (http://www.dottocomu.com/b/archives/000744.html) vs John Deere's Walking Tractor (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=search_playlists&search_query=john+deere+mech&uni=1).

Prime32
2009-06-11, 11:54 AM
Now, the burning question is...

T-52 Enryu (http://www.dottocomu.com/b/archives/000744.html) vs John Deere's Walking Tractor (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=search_playlists&search_query=john+deere+mech&uni=1).
Winner: Metal Gear Strider BigDog (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2bExqhhWRI&fmt=18) (see if you can find the video where it starts to slip on ice and recovers - it's freaky)

And then they all get eaten by Replicators. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIn-sMq8-Ls&fmt=18)

Fri
2009-06-11, 11:58 AM
BigDog is cool and all, but I was talking about honest to god, pilot-inside-cockpit, real life giant robot vs giant robot slugfest.

Enryu can lift half ton with each arms. But the walking tractor is built for lumber harvesting, I bet it got some good chainsaw...

WHY NOBODY FILMED IT YET!!! WHY!?

KnightDisciple
2009-06-11, 11:58 AM
The "good ole' boy" in me says "John Deere".

Prime32
2009-06-11, 12:01 PM
BigDog is cool and all, but I was talking about honest to god, pilot-inside-cockpit, real life giant robot vs giant robot slugfest.
WHAT! MILITARY AUTOMATONS?!

Kris Strife
2009-06-11, 12:10 PM
Nu Gundam uses funnels too.

Yes, but the fact that they're including funnels as part of the origional design, as well as the fact that the infrared camera would likely have only one lens, makes me think Quebeley.

Tengu_temp
2009-06-11, 12:14 PM
Well, that means we'll have either Haman or the Purus, so even better.

Kato
2009-06-11, 12:42 PM
All that talk about Gundams... I really wonder if they just watch too much mecha or if they consider this a realistic approach to warfare...
Though, if they are really goint to build them I want one as well. For... stuff.

On another note. I just finished reading Hellsing (yeah, way late, I know, but I had trouble finding the later chaps *cough*)
Actually I'm pretty happy with it, though either it's hard to follow many of the fight panels or I'm just not used to it. Also, it's a little sad it relies so much on splatter action, since it's rather good otherwise as well. Okay, it has Nazi Vampire Androids, but... hey, it IS awesome, isn't it?
Also, epic ending, imo.

Kris Strife
2009-06-11, 12:44 PM
Well, that means we'll have either Haman or the Purus, so even better.

Eh... I don't think the world needs Haman or Puru Two...

Prime32
2009-06-11, 12:57 PM
All that talk about Gundams... I really wonder if they just watch too much mecha or if they consider this a realistic approach to warfare...The biggest reason that people are pursuing humanoid battle robots is that they are impressive. Not only will enemies run in terror when they see something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv0pc1fY1CY&fmt=18), but the higher-ups will think it looks awesome and give more funding.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-06-11, 01:13 PM
Eh... I don't think the world needs Haman or Puru Two...Not even to look at?

Alternative answer...

FUNNERU!

Kris Strife
2009-06-11, 01:14 PM
The biggest reason that people are pursuing humanoid battle robots is that they are impressive. Not only will enemies run in terror when they see something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv0pc1fY1CY&fmt=18), but the higher-ups will think it looks awesome and give more funding.

And because they're awesome, and everyone knows, he who has the coolest giant robot wins.

Not even to look at?

Alternative answer...

FUNNERU!

Because either one of them is likely to shoot and/or stab you for oggleing them. That and Puru Two has the body of a 12 year old.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-06-11, 02:02 PM
I can appreciate looking at a girl because she's adorable in a non-sexual way. But you're right, they are pretty crazy. I'll take the toned-down Super Robot Wars versions, though.

KnightDisciple
2009-06-11, 02:32 PM
I feel obliged to note:
New Shinji and Warhammer 40k chapter (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3886999/37/Shinji_and_Warhammer40k).
Just started on it.
The awesome is already building.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-06-12, 06:52 AM
For some reason, that was the most awesome chapter of Bleach where nothing happened ever. It totally blew every other chapter where nothing happened out of the water.

Wraithy
2009-06-12, 07:00 AM
Well, I'm not too happy with Naruto at the moment. I'm not unhappy, its probably just my preference for seinen showing through.
Kakashi should've stayed dead!
Just a personal opinion, but I felt the way they resolved the battle was a cop out.

...Having said all that, I'm still going to read the rest :smallbiggrin:

Kris Strife
2009-06-12, 07:04 AM
On a semi related note, who would you rather have as a martial arts teacher: Master Asia or Kakashi.

I have to go with Master Asia. Taking out a giant robot using only a scarf; catching spiked, explosive shells the size of a cantelope with his bare hands... and of course, any one who's played the Dynasty Warrior Gundam games knows how awesome he can be.

UltraDude
2009-06-12, 08:14 AM
For some reason, that was the most awesome chapter of Bleach where nothing happened ever. It totally blew every other chapter where nothing happened out of the water.

Sword lolis, Espada with guns, and Shunsui Kyoraku taking off the jacket.

Totally.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-06-12, 09:18 AM
On a semi related note, who would you rather have as a martial arts teacher: Master Asia or Kakashi.

I have to go with Master Asia. Taking out a giant robot using only a scarf; catching spiked, explosive shells the size of a cantelope with his bare hands... and of course, any one who's played the Dynasty Warrior Gundam games knows how awesome he can be.

Kakashi never/hasn't went/gone evil.

Kris Strife
2009-06-12, 09:39 AM
Kakashi never/hasn't went/gone evil.

As far as we know. He *is* a ninja after all.

Rogue 7
2009-06-12, 09:57 AM
Well, I'm not too happy with Naruto at the moment. I'm not unhappy, its probably just my preference for seinen showing through.
Kakashi should've stayed dead!
Just a personal opinion, but I felt the way they resolved the battle was a cop out.

...Having said all that, I'm still going to read the rest :smallbiggrin:

I most certainly agree from a storytelling and drama standpoint- it would have been far better if Pain only had the power to rezz, say, 1 person. Naruto, not knowing that Hinata was going to be all right, would have had to choose between his mentor, and the girl who just saved his life and declared that she loved him. THAT would have made for an interesting choice.

But from a fanboy perspective, I really don't mind as much. Still and all, I could see this as a major canon/AU divergence point for fanfiction. Preferably the good kind.

Also, Danzo...his first decision as Hokage...is the right one. You mean to tell me that Sasuke wasn't already declared a Missing-nin and a criminal when he defected to Orochimaru? He aligned himself with an institution that was directly responsible for a major attack upon the leaf village, that should have been all the village needed to declare him an enemy. I had figured that Naruto's optimistic stance that he could get Sasuke to come back was Naruto being Naruto, not official village policy. So...maybe Danzo's not the insane, war-crazy maniac I thought....Nah, he probably is.

nothingclever
2009-06-12, 11:44 AM
That Gundam thing is pretty awesome. Humanoid machines are not all that unrealistic.

I can appreciate looking at a girl because she's adorable in a non-sexual way. But you're right, they are pretty crazy. I'll take the toned-down Super Robot Wars versions, though.
Elpeo Puru is one of my top favorite Gundam characters. The character was adorable despite often being a jerk to the rest of the cast.

Anyways how can you Naruto fans stand the ridiculously poor art and this angst arc? All the characters need to watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo_24_qTNac
But then since they're retarded they'd say to the guy "YOU NEVER HAD ARMS OR LEGS TO BEGIN WITH SO YOU CAN'T APPRECIATE YOUR LACK OF THEM! ANGST! ANGST!"

KnightDisciple
2009-06-12, 12:00 PM
Actually, Naruto's art is pretty good, especially for black and white (certainly better than several Bleach panels).

And it hasn't been notably "angsty",really.

Rock Lee would be that dude's new best friend. Seriously.

Prime32
2009-06-12, 12:01 PM
Anyways how can you Naruto fans stand the ridiculously poor art?
By comparing it to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNpLXo55yfw&fmt=18).

But then since they're retarded they'd say to the guy "YOU NEVER HAD ARMS OR LEGS TO BEGIN WITH SO YOU CAN'T APPRECIATE YOUR LACK OF THEM! ANGST! ANGST!"Yeah, Sasuke is a jerk.

nothingclever
2009-06-12, 12:42 PM
Actually, Naruto's art is pretty good, especially for black and white (certainly better than several Bleach panels).

You're comparing art with very little detail to another set of art with very little detail.

And it hasn't been notably "angsty",really.

LOL. One page of the latest chapter is basically Sasuke saying "I'm super angsty and I'm going to kill the family and friends of every person that doesn't think my angst is justified because no one can understand my angst even a little unless that happens."

That's pretty angsty.

Plus the Pain fight before, really? The guy's whole motivation is a boohoo sob story. A significant part of it is his puppy dying.

KnightDisciple
2009-06-12, 12:47 PM
Two characters. Both who are shown to be villians.

One already shown the error of his ways.

There's a difference between having a couple of angsty type characters, and the whole thing being "lol angst".

Edit: Also, everybody knew Sasuke was stupid and "emo" anyways. It's a given.

nothingclever
2009-06-12, 12:50 PM
When a story is driven by angsty characters it is pretty "lol angst."

Just because the whiny characters are villains doesn't mean they are any less whiny and it doesn't mean their whining should be any more tolerable or sensible.

KnightDisciple
2009-06-12, 12:53 PM
I'm...pretty sure the story is being driven by Naruto at this point.

But whatever. Please, don't let me stop you from breaking a story down to "lol angst". By all means, apply that intricate methodology to stories.:smallannoyed:

Rogue 7
2009-06-12, 12:54 PM
In my mind it makes them look pathetic and stupid. I like that. It amuses me. So I don't really have a problem with Sasuke being angsty, especially being as stupid and judgmental as he is, because it makes him look like a t###. And I like having my opinion of that loser confirmed.

Utterly random, yet good to see Inari and Tazuna again.

KnightDisciple
2009-06-12, 12:55 PM
I can only hope I'm in as good of a shape as Tazuna when I'm his age.

...Shoot, I'd love to be in that good of a shape now.

nothingclever
2009-06-12, 12:57 PM
I'm...pretty sure the story is being driven by Naruto at this point.

But whatever. Please, don't let me stop you from breaking a story down to "lol angst". By all means, apply that intricate methodology to stories.:smallannoyed:
A big let's find Sasuke and beat the angst out of him arc looks like it's just around the corner.

You know Naruto wants to redeem him and you know a bunch of people will now be after Sasuke since the new hokage has just basically put a hit on him and we know Sasuke is a jerk that won't listen to reason.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, it's just that a lot of this manga at least recently has been about characters with tragic pasts mucking everything up. More villains that are evil because they simply can be and are ambitious need to used.

Rogue 7
2009-06-12, 12:58 PM
So long as it's heavy on the "Beating", I have no problems with this.

nothingclever
2009-06-12, 01:04 PM
I agree. Hopefully afterwards the manga can move on to bigger and better things.

KnightDisciple
2009-06-12, 01:04 PM
So long as it's heavy on the "Beating", I have no problems with this.

This. So very much this.

Personally, I'm hoping he's "accidentally" killed at some point in the fighting.

But that's just me.

And then Lee can come in and sweep Sakura off her feet, and Naruto can sweep Hinata off her feet (or possibly the reverse, but that's less likely), and I can sigh in contented happiness.
Oh, and a rock falls on Danzo, killing him.

Rogue 7
2009-06-12, 01:24 PM
I'm honestly ready for the manga to be done, but there's a problem. The way I see it, there are 3 major threads to be tied up- Orochimaru/Kabuto, Madara, and Sasuke. (And Madara and Orochimaru seem to fit your "$*&@$ and giggles" preferred villains- we have a bit of insight into their backstories, but it doesn't exactly make them sympathetic. I was never sympathetic for Pain, except for the undoubtedly severe head trauma he suffered as a child to possibly be that stupid) Now, it looks like the situation with Sasuke's coming to a head soon, but it can't because that's the climax of the manga. The antagonistic relationship between those two is the core of the manga, so if you ask me, it's gotta be the last thing resolved. So each of those things have to be resolved...and that looks like it'll take a while.

As for my preferred ending...See KnightDisciple's, except Gaara, Kankuro, and Temari show up, she and Shikamaru hook up, and everyone has a dance party.

KnightDisciple
2009-06-12, 01:26 PM
I'm honestly ready for the manga to be done, but there's a problem. The way I see it, there are 3 major threads to be tied up- Orochimaru/Kabuto, Madara, and Sasuke. (And Madara and Orochimaru seem to fit your "$*&@$ and giggles" preferred villains- we have a bit of insight into their backstories, but it doesn't exactly make them sympathetic. I was never sympathetic for Pain, except for the undoubtedly severe head trauma he suffered as a child to possibly be that stupid) Now, it looks like the situation with Sasuke's coming to a head soon, but it can't because that's the climax of the manga. The antagonistic relationship between those two is the core of the manga, so if you ask me, it's gotta be the last thing resolved. So each of those things have to be resolved...and that looks like it'll take a while.

As for my preferred ending...See KnightDisciple's, except Gaara, Kankuro, and Temari show up, she and Shikamaru hook up, and everyone has a dance party.

With Temari dragging Shika to the altar. By the ear.

Rogue 7
2009-06-12, 01:41 PM
With Temari dragging Shika to the altar. By the ear.

Pretty much.

Kris Strife
2009-06-12, 01:43 PM
You know, for all this calling Sasuske an emo/angsty character, the only person I remember cutting themselves in the series was Naruto...

Closet_Skeleton
2009-06-12, 01:45 PM
Utterly random, yet good to see Inari and Tazuna again.

The mangaka seems to be on a "anybody remember the Wave arc? I remember the wave arc" binge.

edit:

I third all opinions on the ending.

What was the point of the whole blasted Chuunin exam arc just to shove the sand-nin in a corner for most of the whole sequel T_T

You might want to see more of the sand, but their arc got enough closure with Gaara's redemption and resurection (writing that makes him sound like Christ lol).

UltraDude
2009-06-12, 04:05 PM
Pretty much.

I third all opinions on the ending.

What was the point of the whole blasted Chuunin exam arc just to shove the sand-nin in a corner for most of the whole sequel T_T

Xuincherguixe
2009-06-12, 06:09 PM
You know, for all this calling Sasuske an emo/angsty character, the only person I remember cutting themselves in the series was Naruto...

And yet, Sasuke is still more Emo :P

It's hard to tell how to take Naruto sometimes. I think a lot of characters represent more than really gets shown.

Sasuke is... an idiot pretty much. Everyone looks at him thinking how great he is and then... he tosses them all aside like nothing because he wants to take revenge. Then he finds out that the person he's angry with wasn't what he thought he was. But instead of acknowledging that "revenge is stupid". Like Naruto did, and more impressively

Pain, because revenge was his whole life. Much like Sasuke's. But then again, in his own misguided way he was trying to help others. Sasuke is just being selfish.

When it turns out there's more to it, does he abandon his quest? No, he switches targets. Because he can't admit that he can make mistakes. His whole "kill the fools who don't understand him" could be seen as part of that. It's not that he makes bad choices, it's that everyone else doesn't understand!

Unfortunately, none of the other characters seem to realize that about Sasuke. Which makes me question if that's his intended design. But then again, most conflict in the story is being driven by people making bad choices.

Innis Cabal
2009-06-12, 06:18 PM
That Gundam thing is pretty awesome. Humanoid machines are not all that unrealistic.

Lulwut?

No really....Gundum scale mechs...ya they are. They so are its not even funny. Dosn't change them from being awesome, but semi-realistic? No.....no never ever in the history of the world, time and anything else for that matter.

Fri
2009-06-12, 07:55 PM
huh? He's not saying that gundam is not unrealistic, he's saying that humanoid mech is not that unrealistic.

Go watch patlabor or read red eyes.

nothingclever
2009-06-12, 09:19 PM
huh? He's not saying that gundam is not unrealistic, he's saying that humanoid mech is not that unrealistic.

Go watch patlabor or read red eyes.
This is what I meant but I'd actually stand by his interpretation of my statement as well.

Lulwut?

No really....Gundum scale mechs...ya they are. They so are its not even funny. Dosn't change them from being awesome, but semi-realistic? No.....no never ever in the history of the world, time and anything else for that matter.
You're the one that doesn't know what he's talking about buddy. People have already explained in detail why you are wrong. I'm not going to. Go look up some explanations if you want to, the stuff is out there. I don't have the scientific background to defend the concept but others do and have done so.

Nice try there, but I know I'm right so I don't feel a need to explain myself. I'm not saying I expect mechs shooting out laser beams and doing all sorts of futuristic or fantastical things. I don't even expect that mechs will definitely be made but saying it's impossible or totally unrealistic is just being silly. The human body has plenty of inherent advantages in the way it works. Making a large robot with the shape of a human is not impossible or ridiculous. It's just unlikely. Again, nice try with the lolwut rebuttal and hyperbole.

Fri
2009-06-12, 09:33 PM
talking about that... this is your friendly monthly reminder.

Have you guys watched Patlabor and Planetes?

thank you. Now back to the program.

UltraDude
2009-06-13, 01:25 AM
talking about that... this is your friendly monthly reminder.

Have you guys watched Patlabor and Planetes?

thank you. Now back to the program.

I've watched... some... Patlabor.

Need to watch more though. And Planetes.

And so many other things that it's not even funny. Apparently, someone's fansubbing L-Gaim.

Prime32
2009-06-13, 06:14 AM
The human body has plenty of inherent advantages in the way it works.The human body is soft, prone to malfunctions, and most importantly, is rendered immobile if one of its legs is destroyed (as opposed to, say, armoured treads on the underside of the vehicle). It can also fall over.

KnightDisciple
2009-06-13, 09:39 AM
Also, scaling it up is going to require more and more structural weight.

And focusing several tons (as in, the weight of its structure, plus armor, plus motive systems, plus power, plus sensors, plus life support, plus weapons, plus anything else I forgot) onto sections only a few feet across...will likely cause it to sink into the ground.

Prime32
2009-06-13, 09:44 AM
This (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpiderTank) is the closest you'll get to plausible. (would BigDog qualify as one?)

And again, that pesky Square Cube Law (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SquareCubeLaw) gets in the way of a lot of this.

latwPIAT
2009-06-13, 03:20 PM
Did someone say "realistic mecha?" Because I think someone said "realistic mecha!"

Further concerns include that they should be lower than 2.5 meter to reduce their silhouette, and the ground pressure shouldn't be higher than 207 kPa. Since legs are less energy-effective than wheels or threads, you'll have to sacrifice weight in the form of weapons and armour to keep it moving. Further, because of the high wear and tear on the moving parts, mecha will require a lot of maintenance and therefore have limited range. Because tanks benefit from heavier armour and heavier weapons, mecha would loose in one-on-one confrontations, and higher production costs would make a mecha zerg rush a waste of resources.

KnightDisciple
2009-06-13, 03:48 PM
This (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpiderTank) is the closest you'll get to plausible. (would BigDog qualify as one?)

And again, that pesky Square Cube Law (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SquareCubeLaw) gets in the way of a lot of this.

Big Dog qualifies as "freaky as ****".

Prime32
2009-06-13, 03:48 PM
Even if you can make a humanoid mech that works, if you can build five tanks for the same cost it just isn't worth it.

Kris Strife
2009-06-13, 04:34 PM
Even if you can make a humanoid mech that works, if you can build five tanks for the same cost it just isn't worth it.

Are you using logic? Cause you know what you should do with that right?

JeminiZero
2009-06-13, 04:38 PM
Further concerns include that they should be lower than 2.5 meter to reduce their silhouette, and the ground pressure shouldn't be higher than 207 kPa.

I should point out that at this point its not really a mecha anymore, its a more of a powersuit. :smalltongue: (Yes I know its a definition problem. There are no hard rules on how big something has to be, to be considered a mecha)

Prime32
2009-06-13, 04:49 PM
I should point out that at this point its not really a mecha anymore, its a more of a powersuit. :smalltongue: (Yes I know its a definition problem. There are no hard rules on how big something has to be, to be considered a mecha)If we go by Super Robot Wars, well... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCVLF3-KuAI&fmt=18)

EDIT: For the record, here's how big Tekkaman Blade is (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV7M7fSMbgg&fmt=18).

latwPIAT
2009-06-13, 04:50 PM
I should point out that at this point its not really a mecha anymore, its a more of a powersuit. :smalltongue: (Yes I know its a definition problem. There are no hard rules on how big something has to be, to be considered a mecha)

Unless it's a spider mecha. Powered armour cannot, by definition, be a spider mecha.

Prime32
2009-06-13, 04:53 PM
Unless it's a spider mecha. Powered armour cannot, by definition, be a spider mecha.Unless you have an army composed of tarantulas, of course. Or the pilot has had his legs amputated. Or...

JeminiZero
2009-06-13, 05:08 PM
Unless you have an army composed of tarantulas, of course. Or the pilot has had his legs amputated. Or...

Or the pilot is going around on all 4s...

It would be an interesting solution to the weight distribution problem to say the least. :smalltongue:

Closet_Skeleton
2009-06-13, 05:09 PM
Unless it's a spider mecha. Powered armour cannot, by definition, be a spider mecha.

Oh really? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SMCW.jpg)

Nerd-o-rama
2009-06-13, 05:59 PM
Yeah, 60-foot Gundam-scale mechs are a no, even from a giant robot fanboy like me.

Smaller mecha-humanoids - ten-foot power armors or maybe, maybe twenty-foot one-man walking tanks, can be said to have some tactical feasibility.

This is for ground warfare. For zero-g combat, you could hypothetically go a little larger and use Gundam's excuse for human-type limbs, but you wouldn't be able to use them in places with gravity if they were much larger.

Poison_Fish
2009-06-13, 06:04 PM
Oh really? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SMCW.jpg)

Ya Rly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcxioU7AMM4)

Fri
2009-06-13, 07:55 PM
sigh.

guys. real life cockroach controlled mobile robot. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwZD59Ic9T8)

And poison fish. Please tell me there are some story behind your awesome avatar.

13_CBS
2009-06-13, 08:43 PM
Building legged armored vehicles is possible, yes, but why would you ever need one? Special terrain aside (I dunno, maybe you need armored vehicles in a mountainous environment), I don't see why you couldn't just use a tank. Or a helicopter.

Poison_Fish
2009-06-13, 11:26 PM
I thought Kyouske could use an upper class makeover. That's all.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-06-14, 12:51 AM
Wouldn't Kyosuke with an Evil Moustache and Evil Monocle be Evil Kyosuke, i.e. Beowulf?

In fact I'm pretty sure I see little Einst dealies on his face, too...

Poison_Fish
2009-06-14, 01:00 AM
Wouldn't Kyosuke with an Evil Moustache and Evil Monocle be Evil Kyosuke, i.e. Beowulf?

In fact I'm pretty sure I see little Einst dealies on his face, too...

Shhh, you see nothing.

NOTHING!!

he knows to much..

Time to end the world with spiderman powered pelvic thrusting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wza9QWogfxQ)

Nerd-o-rama
2009-06-14, 01:20 AM
Shhh, you see nothing.

NOTHING!!

he knows to much..

Time to end the world with spiderman powered pelvic thrusting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wza9QWogfxQ)I have to say, that was a very effective diversion.

tyckspoon
2009-06-14, 01:42 AM
I have to say, that was a very effective diversion.

Yes. Yes it was. I'm going to be going "WTF Japan" at random moments for weeks now (I think the last iteration of this thread was responsible for the last time that happened, too... at least, I think it was this thread that posted the Pan Colle Blitzkrieg Bop cover. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-YRmf89_k))

Kris Strife
2009-06-14, 02:10 AM
Yes. Yes it was. I'm going to be going "WTF Japan" at random moments for weeks now.

You say that like its unusual.

JeminiZero
2009-06-14, 06:03 AM
*Asem* So... anyone else here watched Shikabane Hime? >_>

Prime32
2009-06-14, 07:00 AM
Yes. Yes it was. I'm going to be going "WTF Japan" at random moments for weeks now (I think the last iteration of this thread was responsible for the last time that happened, too... at least, I think it was this thread that posted the Pan Colle Blitzkrieg Bop cover. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-YRmf89_k))
Shall I post the Lucky Star op cover by JAM Project?

Also (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=wtf+japan&aq=f)

Closet_Skeleton
2009-06-14, 07:55 AM
*Asem* So... anyone else here watched Shikabane Hime? >_>

Zombie fanservice?

Yes, both seasons, all episodes.

Wraithy
2009-06-14, 08:43 AM
Anyone else read Toriko? I'm not even sure why I read it, the art is fugly and its not got much story... But bizarrely, I still look forwards to it :smallconfused:

Devonix
2009-06-14, 09:48 AM
Just why is it so damn hard to get anime viewers and comic readers to just plain accept when the creator of a series tells them that a character is dead or alive.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-06-14, 09:51 AM
Just why is it so damn hard to get anime viewers and comic readers to just plain accept when the creator of a series tells them that a character is dead or alive.

It isn't. You shouldn't take everything people say seriously.

There's also a perfectly valid viewpoint that just because the author says it doesn't make it true unless it's in a proper published source. Especially since authors often forget stuff and change their minds.

Devonix
2009-06-14, 09:57 AM
I want to list examples of what I'm talking about but don't know how to place spoiler tags.

Fri
2009-06-14, 10:16 AM
lucas once said that george bush is darth vader. cheney is the emperor. I'm not talking about politic here, but about lucas' character intrepretation, seriously, you can take that character intrepretation? He's the creator of that guy, but dammit.

And I dont freakin care what you say. Lulu is alive! ALIVE! and he's travelling the world with CC, buying pizza, and fighting crime in between their make out session, I tell you!

edit:

just write[ spoiler]your text here[ /spoiler] without the space.

nothingclever
2009-06-14, 11:19 AM
The human body is soft, prone to malfunctions, and most importantly, is rendered immobile if one of its legs is destroyed (as opposed to, say, armoured treads on the underside of the vehicle). It can also fall over.
Worst argument ever.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/nothingclever/comic-book-guy.gif

I love this stuff. For every point you list about the human body sucking there is a counter point about it being awesome compared to many many other living and nonliving things. (Eg. "Prone to malfunctions" countered by ability to reflexively self-repair.) Plus a mech does not have to be soft like flesh just because it has a humanoid shape. Nice bandwagon jump.

The other big argument you people used was weight. I highly doubt you can't reasonably circumvent that problem. Next you'll tell me the pyramids were built by aliens because that's more plausible than ancient man figuring out a way to move huge stone slabs.

Prime32
2009-06-14, 11:31 AM
Worst argument ever.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/nothingclever/comic-book-guy.gif

I love this stuff. For every point you list about the human body sucking there is a counter point about it being awesome compared to many many other living and nonliving things. Plus a mech does not have to be soft like flesh just because it has a humanoid shape. Nice bandwagon jump.

The other big argument you people used was weight. I highly doubt you can't reasonably circumvent that problem.
I didn't say a mech had to be soft like flesh. However, in many "real robot" games one of the best ways to defeat enemy mechs is to target their legs. That's even how they defeated the AT-ATs in Star Wars.

As for weight, read the square cube law (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SquareCubeLaw). If you breed a lion and a tiger you get a liger, which is twice the size of its parents but requires so much food that it would starve to death if born in the wild. The larger you make something, the harder it is to regulate heat. Skyscrapers need to be constructed of stronger materials than normal buildings, since the lower levels must support more weight.

Incidentally, I hear that some guys in Japan estimated the cost of a working Gundam at $730 million dollars (http://www.chucksanimeshrine.com/animeblog/2008/01/scienceportaljp-says-working-gundam.html).

EDIT: I see you edited in something about the ability to self-repair. However, self-repair abilities require your armour to be permeable (and thus weaker) so that your repair thingies can do their work, and aren't very fast anyway.

nothingclever
2009-06-14, 11:35 AM
Too bad we're talking about a futuristic thing that would be made including future advancements that would compensate for the problems you listed. That estimate may dramatically decrease or increase as the years go by. I'd bust out a snazzy law of my own if I felt so inclined. Also why can't you have legs and treads, or both plus some propulsion system? If something can take out a mech it's probably able to easily take out anything else with treads making your treads argument not so great. The same blast needed to destroy a leg could probably destroy your entire tank so it's not going to be any more useful because it uses a different transportation system.

Prime32
2009-06-14, 11:38 AM
Too bad we're talking about a futuristic thing that would be made including future advancements that would compensate for the problems you listed. That estimate may dramatically decrease or increase as the years go by. I'd bust out a snazzy law of my own if I felt so inclined.So your argument is basically "In the future the laws of physics will be different"?

Wraithy
2009-06-14, 11:40 AM
So your argument is basically "In the future we'll have magic"?

Reposted before the edit because I liked it better :smallbiggrin:

...What? We Will.

nothingclever
2009-06-14, 11:41 AM
So your argument is basically "In the future the laws of physics will be different"?
So your argument is willfull ignorance of what other people are actually saying? Cute.

You're like the guy who said the world would only have a few computers and all of them would be roughly the size of houses since they could never drastically change in size and be affordable, useful and practical for average people to use. Did the laws of physics have to change for me to have my chest sized computer that is now in front of me that I am using to communicate with you in a practical and affordable way?

This is really entertaining.

Prime32
2009-06-14, 11:44 AM
So your argument is willfull ignorance of what other people are actually saying? Cute.

You're like the guy who said the world would only have a few computers and all of them would be roughly the size of houses since they could never drastically change in size and be affordable, useful and practical for average people to use. Did the laws of physics have to change for me to have my chest sized computer that is now in front of me that I am using to communicate with you in a practical and affordable way?

This is really entertaining.Ahem. It is just as foolish to assume that science will accomplish something at some point in the future as to assume it will not. It's the same fallacy, just inverted. No-one could have predicted the miniaturisation of computers - anyone who said it would come was fantasising, with no real basis.

The square-cube law makes developing mechs harder. Not impossible, but more expensive. The question is whether the cost to overcome the various barriers in development reduces enough to make them feasible.

"SCIENCE!" will not remove the square-cube law, but it could develop new materials which are strong and cheap.

Wraithy
2009-06-14, 11:45 AM
You're like the guy who said the world would only have a few computers and all of them would be roughly the size of houses since they could never drastically change in size and be affordable, useful and practical for average people to use.

Yeah, and then the Wright brothers came along and changed everything :smalltongue:

nothingclever
2009-06-14, 11:55 AM
Ahem. It is just as foolish to assume that science will accomplish something at some point in the future as to assume it will not. It's the same fallacy, just inverted. No-one could have predicted the miniaturisation of computers - anyone who said it would come was guessing.

The square-cube law makes developing mechs harder. Not impossible, but more expensive. The question is whether the cost to overcome the various barriers in development reduces enough to make them feasible.

"SCIENCE!" will not remove the square-cube law, but it could develop new materials which are strong and cheap.
Then why do you try to trivialize my argument instead of admitting the logical possibility of them becoming practical? Apparently you understand what I'm saying and you're explaining my own argument to me. Boy you sure showed me. I am thoroughly flabbergasted by you validating what I just said.

Why do you even bring up your fallacy if you admit it is so easily countered and that it's a fallacy? I need a brainhurt emoticon.

Prime32
2009-06-14, 11:59 AM
Then why do you try to trivialize my argument instead of admitting the logical possibility of them becoming practical? Apparently you understand what I'm saying and you're explaining my own argument to me. Boy you sure showed me. I am thoroughly flabbergasted.It's possible, but it's not probable. No-one knows if we will develop technologies which would make it feasible, so you can't rely on it in your argument.

Why do you even bring up your fallacy if you admit it is so easily countered and that it's a fallacy? I need a brainhurt emoticon.Occham's Razor. Also, maybe I didn't phrase my argument properly there. Sorry.

nothingclever
2009-06-14, 12:01 PM
And who are you to say it's not probable? The more time passes the more probable it becomes.

Prime32
2009-06-14, 12:01 PM
And who are you to say it's not probable? The more time passes the more probable it becomes.Hardly. For all we know it could be impossible.

If we can't measure its feasibility from the perspective of the future (since we don't know what technology we will have in the future) we can only measure its feasibility from the perspective of the present.