PDA

View Full Version : Hiding a spell, or making a look alike

Cedrass
2009-05-21, 08:38 PM
Again with that Beguiler of mine (for those that saw the last 2 threads :smalleek:).

I was thinking about being a lot more centered on Illusions since you need to interact with it to know it is an Illusion, but casters don't really have to, since they can use Spellcraft and identify the exact spell.

I'm wondering how I can "disguise" my spells. I know there's some way to use Bluff to get people to think you're casting a different spell, or at least I think I saw that somewhere. However, I'm not sure how reliable that would be.

I'm more aiming to get a feat for this or something along those lines, but I can't think/find one that would do this. My friend's got pretty much every D&D book ever so any source you guys can find is viable.

Thanks a lot!!

Keld Denar
2009-05-21, 08:49 PM
Complete Scoundrel has a couple things that may help. The skill tricks False Theurgey and Conceal Casting allow you to disguise one spell as another, or completely mask the components completely. Both can be used to your advantage.

You: Come my child, and be cured by the light of Pelor.
Them: YAY! Cure Light Wounds!
You: Charm Person!

Also, the metamagic feat Invisible Spell, from Cityscape, masks any visible appearances of a spell. Combine with any fog spell like Solid Fog for increased hillarity with a side of lulz.

Levyathyn
2009-05-21, 08:50 PM
I know a few things, having done this with a Necromancer before. Silent and Still spells don't necessarily need to be Silent and Still. Just because you don't have to say the words or do the hand motions to, say, Fireball doesn't mean you can't say the words and do the hand motions to Prismatic Spray, or Fly, or anything.

I always made it a moderately difficult Concentration check, where if you miss by five or less you cast the spell you act like you're casting (if you have it prepped), and missing by five or more loses you the spell. Also, it did need a Bluff check, but at house ruled it at 10 + Spell levels (including Still/Silent, for both spells).

Sallera
2009-05-21, 08:50 PM
The False Theurgy skill trick from CS allows you to disguise your spell as a swift action with no roll (only fools spellcraft checks, but it sounds like that's partly what you're after). There's also Conceal Spellcasting from the same book, which uses a sleight of hand check to hide the fact that you're casting at all (may be the one you were thinking of.)

Edit: Ninja. Ninja everywhere. >>

Cedrass
2009-05-21, 09:32 PM
Complete Scoundrel has a couple things that may help. The skill tricks False Theurgey and Conceal Casting allow you to disguise one spell as another, or completely mask the components completely. Both can be used to your advantage.

You: Come my child, and be cured by the light of Pelor.
Them: YAY! Cure Light Wounds!
You: Charm Person!

Also, the metamagic feat Invisible Spell, from Cityscape, masks any visible appearances of a spell. Combine with any fog spell like Solid Fog for increased hillarity with a side of lulz.

I don't know if he has Cityscape, but I'll be sure to ask him. If he doesn't I still like those Skill Tricks. But I can't use those, we're playing Pathfinder (Should have said so in the OP, sorry).

The Silent and Still feats, I didn't think could be used that way. I'l be sure to talk to my DM to see if I can manage something like that.

Levyathyn
2009-05-21, 10:07 PM
Well, keep in mind I was DMing at the time. I did allow the PC's to use this tactic, if they so desired, so it was fair.

RTGoodman
2009-05-21, 10:19 PM
If he doesn't I still like those Skill Tricks. But I can't use those, we're playing Pathfinder (Should have said so in the OP, sorry).

What does Pathfinder have that means you can't use skill tricks? Did they get rid of skill points or something. (Sorry, I haven't followed it at all.) If that's the reason, just take the feat that gives you a couple of skill tricks and be done.

Cedrass
2009-05-21, 10:28 PM
They didn't exacty remove skills or Skill Points, but they did change the system a lot, and combined a lot of skills, which can maybe make Skill Tricks overpowered. I don't know if it would make them OP, but I prefer forgeting about them until I can speak with my DM.

Zergrusheddie
2009-05-22, 12:56 AM
Still Spell/Silent Spell can help quite a bit with dealing with those damn casters and Spellcraft checks. Also, you can cast where they can not see you (Invisibility) and can not hear you (It doesn't say that you have to shout the verbal components). I've mostly been using illusions to take out enemies that non-casters and have been using Solid Fogs against casters. Beguilers have an enormous amount of spells, you might as well use them as often as possible :smallwink:.

Best of luck and tell me how to the Beguiler goes.
-Eddie

Townopolis
2009-05-22, 01:26 AM
A skill trick is supposed to be about half a feat. They're also restricted in that you cannot use them more than once/encounter.

I wager you can take either of the mentioned skill tricks and make it a feat, complete with unlimited uses/encounter, and it won't be unbalanced. Ok, you may want to make False Theurgy require a bluff or sleight of hand check (of whatever Pathfinder has turned those into). If the spellcraft check succeeds, but does not beat your bluff/SoH check, they get the erroneous dataz.

Curmudgeon
2009-05-22, 01:41 AM
You don't need a feat or even a skill trick to disguise your spellcasting. A straight Sleight of Hand check will let you cast without being detected. See Races of Stone on page 133.

Alleine
2009-05-22, 02:40 AM
There's a 3.0 feat in Magic of Faerun called Thematic Spell. Choose a theme (one example was screaming skulls) and now every spell you cast is replaced with that. Fireball becomes exploding screaming skull ball. I think it upped the spellcraft DC, in addition to something else.