PDA

View Full Version : Meetup UKitp Meetup - 8th August, Peterborough; all welcome!

Pages : [1] 2

Castaras
2009-05-22, 12:08 PM
Well, after this years late Christmas meetup failed to happen, and the thread for it has disappeared into oblivion, I was wondering if there's still any UK playgrounders who want to try to sort out one for around August time? :smallsmile:

Previous threads:
I [[The original. Accept no imitations]] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38035)
II [[Christmas party!]] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52714)
III [[Games galore]] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66784)
IV [[Didn't happen]] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87771)

The details so far!

Date:8th August
Time:12:00pm until however late.

2 Grove Street
Woodston
Peterborough
PE2 9AG
Google Map (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=m)

Catering: We can bring our own food or call a pizza on the the day! Drinks bought from the bar please. If you lot really want a buffet that can be arranged but I don't think you can really go wrong with pizza.

For the hire of the room I'd ask for about £2.50 from each of you on the day.

Exachix
2009-05-22, 12:10 PM
I may very well come along, however some dates will be occupied with LARPing.

xPANCAKEx
2009-05-22, 12:20 PM
if its in london (or somewhere very close by) i'll show my face

its not really make of cake

i'd have eaten it if it was

Dragonrider
2009-05-22, 12:41 PM
I have nothing to add to this discussion but:

Castaras' post + Exachix's right next to it = ADOWWABLE.

The Rose Dragon
2009-05-22, 01:03 PM
Maybe. If it's near the South. If it's in the Northern parts of the country: no chance in hell.

Thufir
2009-05-22, 02:16 PM
Yes. Yes yes yes. Want to meet some of you people.

Totally Guy
2009-05-22, 03:01 PM
I can be on board again. Remember, whoever has to organise it must run it with an Iron Fist. Trying to please everyone didn't work so well. Better to exclude some people than let the whole thing fizzle out through indescision.

Castaras
2009-05-22, 03:03 PM

:smallbiggrin: :smallredface:

I can be on board again. Remember, whoever has to organise it must run it with an Iron Fist. Trying to please everyone didn't work so well. Better to exclude some people than let the whole thing fizzle out through indescision.

Very good point there.

But yay, 2 possibles and 2 probably yeses! ^.^ Should I dig up the table that Charity made so that we can start deciding on dates?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-22, 03:11 PM

This.

This very much.

Totally Guy
2009-05-22, 03:11 PM
Should I dig up the table that Charity made so that we can start deciding on dates?

No, we need to pick a date and a place first. Then people can work around it rather than have the meetup work around everybody else.

Date should be a Saturday as I'd presume that'd be best for most people.

Place should be virtually on the doorstep of whoever decides that they'll organise it. This will ensure the organiser has incentive to volunteer and has minimal inconvenience. Because it's a lot to ask of the individual.

DraPrime
2009-05-22, 03:12 PM
If it happens around the time of Download Festival, then I might be around. There's like a 75% chance that I'll be attending that.

Castaras
2009-05-22, 03:22 PM
No, we need to pick a date and a place first. Then people can work around it rather than have the meetup work around everybody else.

Date should be a Saturday as I'd presume that'd be best for most people.

Place should be virtually on the doorstep of whoever decides that they'll organise it. This will ensure the organiser has incentive to volunteer and has minimal inconvenience. Because it's a lot to ask of the individual.

Sounds good enough on all those points. Exact date should really be decided by the person who organises it...

Then in that case, where shall we hold the meetup? North? South? East? West?

I'll just make the point that those who really want it to be South, make sure that if you vote south you come! :smalltongue:

CurlyKitGirl
2009-05-22, 03:28 PM
*checks calendar*
Hmmm.
Four empty months, not counting five days of exams in June. And one day in August.
Sign me up. Providing I can get to it naturally. :smallwink:

Kaelaroth
2009-05-22, 04:38 PM
Possibly, perhaps, (and also what Salmon says below me).

Almighty Salmon
2009-05-22, 04:40 PM
I might go, it'd really depend on where it is and who else is going.

potatocubed
2009-05-22, 04:49 PM
Call me a maybe. Depending on travel arrangements, dates, and whether or not I remember on the day.

Dihan
2009-05-22, 05:05 PM
I'd love to go but I probably won't be able to. Maybe after September when I'm in uni. Then again I'll probably be busy and I'll be even further away in Wales - at least the train station is easy to use.

Jimp
2009-05-22, 05:13 PM
Put me down for a maybe. Depending on the day I might be able to head over to England for a few days :smallbiggrin:

H. Zee
2009-05-22, 06:20 PM
I'll come if it's in the South. If not... I will not be able to scrounge up the money. :smallsigh:

Dr. Bath
2009-05-23, 07:36 AM
Call me a maybe. Depending on travel arrangements, dates, and whether or not I remember on the day.

I'll take one of these too please.

Lorn
2009-05-23, 08:07 AM
Depends hugely on the date; I have two 18ths and results day in August.

If it's near the North, then maybe. If it's in the Southern parts of the country: pretty much no chance.

(Having said that, depends a lot on what we'd end up doing...)

(I think all the recent ones have been in the South as well, haven't they? Never been one up here... and I think there's more than just me over here. It's a bit unfair to get all the Northeners to have to travel for ages for each one. Perhaps two meets, one in the South and one in the North...)

Dr. Bath
2009-05-23, 09:13 AM
Depends hugely on the date; I have two 18ths and results day in August.

If it's near the North, then maybe. If it's in the Southern parts of the country: pretty much no chance.

(Having said that, depends a lot on what we'd end up doing...)

(I think all the recent ones have been in the South as well, haven't they? Never been one up here... and I think there's more than just me over here. It's a bit unfair to get all the Northeners to have to travel for ages for each one. Perhaps two meets, one in the South and one in the North...)

I think they've all been in Birmingham haven't they? Which isn't exactly south. More the middle, which was why it was picked. I personally wouldn't mind Birmingham again, but now that I lack a student railcard my perennial lack of funds starts to play a bigger part.

Also we'd need someone in that area to find a venue. That's the case wherever we pick though.

Castaras
2009-05-23, 09:26 AM
Birmingham and Leeds, they've been in, iirc.

The most recent one was planned to be in Basingstoke but it never happened.

I personally would be happy for it to be central like Birmingham or Leicester or Leeds again.

The Rose Dragon
2009-05-23, 09:33 AM
I personally would be happy for it to be central like Birmingham or Leicester or Leeds again.

In that case I'm probably not gonna make it. I was hoping for something like London or Oxford.

KuReshtin
2009-05-23, 11:48 AM
Depending on when and where, I should be able to make it.
Preferrably I'd wish for it not to be too far south.

Somewhere in the vicinity of Birmingham or thereabouts is a good place to have it as it ensures that people from the north of the country can have a reasonable shot at making it.

banjo1985
2009-05-25, 07:51 AM
Reasonable chance of me making it, and a possibility of me being able to drag Mrs B along. I favour Birmingham again, but I guess that's because I can drive to the pub in Rednal in about twenty minutes. :smallbiggrin:

KuReshtin
2009-05-25, 10:29 AM
Reasonable chance of me making it, and a possibility of me being able to drag Mrs B along. I favour Birmingham again, but I guess that's because I can drive to the pub in Rednal in about twenty minutes. :smallbiggrin:

I take that as you volunteering to organise it, then. :)
Good show, Banjo.

bosssmiley
2009-05-25, 02:50 PM
Somewhere near the East Coast Main Line would be nice.

(I'm not prejudiced, but west of the Pennines and/or Cairds' cereal line (http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=M7AmyuGr5Y8C&pg=PA55&lpg=PA55&dq=Cairds+line&source=bl&ots=f-JS5UVWSS&sig=l4WU-6eKN1x6wTdvvrM5ZFiWv90&hl=en&ei=F_caSuPQJ6OUjAeZ-5n5DA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3) is naught but rain-soaked desolation and cattle thieves. :smalltongue: )

potatocubed
2009-05-26, 06:06 AM
I'll just make the point that those who really want it to be South, make sure that if you vote south you come! :smalltongue:

Yeah, there is that. I think this time around I'll just vote for the middle of the country. I'd prefer Oxford, obviously, but the more people the meet attracts the more likely it is to happen, and the more central the location the more people it'll attract.

Adlan
2009-05-26, 06:11 AM
I made the first one, I might make this one again.

unstattedCommoner
2009-05-26, 06:56 AM
I may be able to attend, depending on many variables; my chances of attending will be increased dramatically if it is located in the Bristol/Birmingham/London triangle.

(I'm not prejudiced, but west of the Pennines and/or Cairds' cereal line (http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=M7AmyuGr5Y8C&pg=PA55&lpg=PA55&dq=Cairds+line&source=bl&ots=f-JS5UVWSS&sig=l4WU-6eKN1x6wTdvvrM5ZFiWv90&hl=en&ei=F_caSuPQJ6OUjAeZ-5n5DA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3) is naught but rain-soaked desolation and cattle thieves. :smalltongue: )

We don't steal cattle; we twoc (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWOC) them.

Totally Guy
2009-05-26, 07:00 AM
Peterborough has decent rail connections. How would you all feel about that?

banjo1985
2009-05-26, 07:09 AM
I take that as you volunteering to organise it, then. :)
Good show, Banjo.

*backs away slowly*

Heh, I guess I could now that you mention it, and I wouldn't be averse to it if we did decide to meet up at the Oak Tree again. Peterborough isn't too awful as far as I'm concerned, but again it may be too far south to attract many northeners.

Charity
2009-05-26, 07:55 AM
I imagine I will attend, wherever it is held... Ikkie too probably.

DamnedIrishman
2009-05-26, 08:01 AM
Peterborough isn't too awful as far as I'm concerned, but again it may be too far south to attract many northeners.

I know some northerners who think York is practically in the south. The moral of the story: some northerners are crazy.

That said, I know a lot of people who think that "the south" means London. Which would be shaky logic at least if they didn't exclude Cornwall from "the south". The moral of that story: some Londoners are crazy.

I'm from the midlands. You could say we're the perfect Englishmen - neither thuggish brutes nor simpering dandies.

Castaras
2009-05-26, 08:43 AM

Peterborough would be brilliant for me and Lensman.

potatocubed
2009-05-26, 09:18 AM
That said, I know a lot of people who think that "the south" means London. Which would be shaky logic at least if they didn't exclude Cornwall from "the south". The moral of that story: some Londoners are crazy.

Pfft. Everyone knows that everything outside the M25 is 'the North'. The signposts even say so! Many also say "Abandon all hope, etc. etc.".

Thufir
2009-05-26, 10:08 AM

I... don't know where that is. Although I think I remember hearing "This train stops at blah blah, Peterborough, blah..." on a few occasions.

neither thuggish brutes nor simpering dandies.

Given I was born in London, but moved to the Newcastle area when I was not quite 7, I don't know which stereotype to be offended by...

banjo1985
2009-05-26, 10:18 AM
I think the "simpering" part would win the insul for me. I'd claim some kind of Midlands superiority here, but the Brummie accent induces so much pain in me that I have to turn the TV off whenever they do a local piece, out of pure embarressment. :smalleek:

Dr. Bath
2009-05-26, 10:23 AM
Given I was born in London, but moved to the Newcastle area when I was not quite 7, I don't know which stereotype to be offended by...

So you're a simpering brute? Or is that a thuggish dandy?

Nameless
2009-05-26, 01:18 PM
I would like to meet up. Again however, it deppends where it is.

GrlumpTheElder
2009-05-26, 01:22 PM
Here's an Idea, what if two meetings are held on the same day, one in the north, one in the south and a live video link connects the two.

If it happens, I'd join you in the south.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-05-26, 03:32 PM
I know some northerners who think York is practically in the south. The moral of the story: some northerners are crazy.

I'm from the midlands. You could say we're the perfect Englishmen - neither thuggish brutes nor simpering dandies.

Coming from literally the furthest south you can be in the country without being on the Scilly isles or the Channel Islands.
Devon is Oop North.
Really far up north.

unstattedCommoner
2009-05-26, 04:20 PM
Pfft. Everyone knows that everything outside the M25 is 'the North'. The signposts even say so! Many also say "Abandon all hope, etc. etc.".

The signs which say "Abandon all hope" are positioned so that one sees them as one crosses the M25 into London. Teams of interceptors are now positioned at all such crossings, seeking out vehicles flagged as 'unabandoned hope' so that they may confiscate it from those therein.

Nameless
2009-05-26, 04:27 PM
Here's an Idea, what if two meetings are held on the same day, one in the north, one in the south and a live video link connects the two.

If it happens, I'd join you in the south.

I like! :smallbiggrin:

Eldpollard
2009-05-26, 05:04 PM
Well seeing as I've so far managed to not go to a single one of these yet; despite saying that I would to all of them. I'll carry on with tradition and say I'll come to this one.

KuReshtin
2009-05-27, 04:54 AM
I guess Peterborough could work. Wouldn't take too much longer to get there than to Birmingham, although it could end up a tad further for me to drive.
That would also mean that I'd be crossing the country up north-ish using the A66, and then going south from scotch Corner and could potentially arrange to give some people along that route (or who can get to somewhere along that route) a lift.

Since I was crowned the UKitP resident Geek-Herder last time we were in Birmingham, it would only fit into that title, doncha think?:)

So, Peterborough or Birmingham will work for me.
Anything further south than that, most likely not.

Exachix
2009-05-27, 04:59 AM
Peterborough would be ok. It all depends on *when* it is for me. As some weekends in July/August are taken.

Nameless
2009-05-27, 05:31 AM
We could even have more meetups.
One in Lopndon, one further south, and two further north. If we have a few then it will be easier for people to get to the meetups.

Castaras
2009-05-27, 05:33 AM
But then we'd be all so spread out that we don't have many at each meetup.

The first meetup was loads of fun. ^.^ We had looooads of people, from all reaches of the country.

Plus, I wanna meet all of you, not just those of you from around my area. :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

Nameless
2009-05-27, 06:11 AM
I'm won't be able to go all the way up to, let's say Manchester. :smalltongue:
I'm all the way down in London.

Castaras
2009-05-27, 06:53 AM
Which is why the current suggestions are Birmingham and Peterborough. Because they iz central, yus? And not as far up as Manchester...:smalltongue:

banjo1985
2009-05-27, 06:56 AM

Just over an hour on the train to Birmingham my friend...not even long enough for a decent nap, which I have found out to my chagrin. :smallannoyed:

KuReshtin
2009-05-27, 07:02 AM

Yeah, but Peterborough or Birmingham isn't as far north as is Manchester, and right now, it feels as if the venues of either Birmingham och Peterborough are the front runners for the meetup.

And there are other people going from London as well, so it's a question of how much you want it. Like Cassie said, it'll be a whole lot more fun if there are lots of people there, otherwise it'll just be a regular gaming session, but with total strangers.
Also, if there are more people that attends, there's more chance to play different things with different people, and get to know folk a bit better.

Also, it gives you a reason to go out and see the country you live in a bit. :smallsmile:

GrlumpTheElder
2009-05-27, 07:14 AM
One problem for many people will be the cost of getting there. Our public transport is not cheap!!!

Edit:
We could always hold it at Brennand Farm, near Dunsop Bridge, Lancashire, which is the most central point of the UK (including islands)

Jontom Xire
2009-05-27, 07:37 AM
In, depending on the date and what dates my fiancee picks for holiday when she FINALLY gets around to booking some and where we decide to go for holiday if anywhere.

Dr. Bath
2009-05-27, 07:37 AM
Yeah, but Peterborough or Birmingham isn't as far north as is Manchester, and right now, it feels as if the venues of either Birmingham och Peterborough are the front runners for the meetup.

And there are other people going from London as well, so it's a question of how much you want it. Like Cassie said, it'll be a whole lot more fun if there are lots of people there, otherwise it'll just be a regular gaming session, but with total strangers.
Also, if there are more people that attends, there's more chance to play different things with different people, and get to know folk a bit better.

Also, it gives you a reason to go out and see the country you live in a bit. :smallsmile:

Also the venue will be cheaper!

As lovely as Dunsop bridge is (lots of ducks and a nice pub) I don't know that it's all that easy to get to without a car :smalltongue:

H. Zee
2009-05-27, 07:46 AM
I've never actually played a DnD game before but I really want to. If there's DnD games going on, would people mind if a total amateur gave it a try?

Nameless
2009-05-27, 09:09 AM
I demand a London Meetup! Why? Because I'm broke and lazy. :smallbiggrin:

bosssmiley
2009-05-27, 09:39 AM
I... don't know where that is. Although I think I remember hearing "This train stops at blah blah, Peterborough, blah..." on a few occasions.

Edinburgh, Newcastle, Durham, York, Sheffield, Grantham, Pboro, Stevenage, London KX IIRC.

Peterborough might actually be good for a meet-up (now there's something I never thought I'd see myself type).

There used to be this cool H.G.Wells theme bar just off the Cathedral Square. Brass and wood decor. Good seats. Open fire. Pure pubnography it was. Any webfoots ITP who could confirm whether it's still there?

GrlumpTheElder
2009-05-27, 09:41 AM
London is definitely a possibility for me.

Totally Guy
2009-05-27, 09:46 AM
I demand a London Meetup! Why? Because I'm broke and lazy. :smallbiggrin:

The only way that can happen is if we can find someone willing to organise it in London.

Just so we all understand how this thing is going to work.

Castaras
2009-05-27, 09:47 AM
And, tbh, London is probably not such a good place to go due to how expensive it is there compared to other places.

*not biased. >.>*

My vote still goes for Peterborough.

Totally Guy
2009-05-27, 09:50 AM
There used to be this cool H.G.Wells theme bar just off the Cathedral Square. Brass and wood decor. Good seats. Open fire. Pure pubnography it was. Any webfoots ITP who could confirm whether it's still there?

I know where you mean. I think that place it still there... But I remember it being fairly small. Plus city centre is no good for parking.

Unfortunately I live in Leeds now so I'd have to scout out a venue on my next visit to the old parental home.

Edit: Do Crocodiles have webbed feet?

Nameless
2009-05-27, 10:02 AM
And, tbh, London is probably not such a good place to go due to how expensive it is there compared to other places.

*not biased. >.>*

My vote still goes for Peterborough.

But... We can all meet up at Southbank and have a partey!

Lorn
2009-05-27, 10:06 AM
York IS almost in the South.

Get up to the REAL North sometime - Durham(ish-areas) or higher.

Having said that, I am willing to travel a bit if I have money at the time, and if nobody minds a total n00b joining them in any RPGs... I wouldn't mind starting to play D&D, have read bits of the rules, played a couple computer interpretations but that's it.

(Plus - I think there's a fair few WH40K players in the UK, would anyone be interested in a game?)

xPANCAKEx
2009-05-27, 10:10 AM
well if any Londoners in The Playground ever organise a game, i'd definately show my face, even if it was just a fun afternoon one-shot or something

Nameless
2009-05-27, 10:17 AM
(Plus - I think there's a fair few WH40K players in the UK, would anyone be interested in a game?)

I used to play every week.
I still have my Marines. :smallbiggrin:

xPANCAKEx
2009-05-27, 10:29 AM
only GW game i'd still consider playing is bloodbowl - game of kings!

Charity
2009-05-27, 10:47 AM
Edinburgh, Newcastle, Durham, York, Sheffield, Grantham, Pboro, Stevenage, London KX IIRC.

Peterborough might actually be good for a meet-up (now there's something I never thought I'd see myself type).

Bossman if you come down, drag that Mathew (kicking and screaming) with you.

If I attend... wherever it is... I can possibly, give a couple of folk a lift...
Wooh thats a nailed on certainty right there.
I will doubless have to drive if it ain't in Brum (cos Ikkie will)
I will also no doubt have to take Archie (though if its in petersbro you might be better off going direct matey) and Ikkie so that'll be a seat or two... only the recently bathed need apply.

The dealio goes I pick you up from Basingstoke station so if the fare there is going to be similar to the fare to Peterswotsit this option is not a strong one for you.

well if any Londoners in The Playground ever organise a game, i'd definately show my face, even if it was just a fun afternoon one-shot or something

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/funny-pictures-cat-birdcage.jpg

Eldpollard
2009-05-27, 01:30 PM
I'll cast my vote for Peterborough now that I've been assured it's central. Not... as I thought in Scotland. Where the hell was I thinking of?

Castaras
2009-05-27, 01:38 PM
I'll cast my vote for Peterborough now that I've been assured it's central. Not... as I thought in Scotland. Where the hell was I thinking of?

I lol'd.

GrlumpTheElder
2009-05-27, 01:42 PM

... Edinburgh? :smallconfused:

unstattedCommoner
2009-05-27, 01:47 PM

Peterhead (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=57.338381,-1.40625&spn=2.846369,7.03125&t=h&z=7)?

Thufir
2009-05-27, 01:58 PM
only GW game i'd still consider playing is bloodbowl - game of kings!

No.

Much as I like blood bowl, the game of kings is, always has been, and always will be, chess.

Eldpollard
2009-05-27, 03:58 PM
No.

Much as I like blood bowl, the game of kings is, always has been, and always will be, chess.

Is that because it has two of them?

Thanks for the town suggestions. I fear I may have mixed the names of both Edinburgh and Peterhead together. Which is odd as I've been to Edinburgh and have Scottish relatives.

KuReshtin
2009-05-27, 05:11 PM
A quick check found that you could potentially get train tickets from London to Peterborough for as little as £23 for return tickets.
Not too bad, and something that can't be thought of as anything other than affordable.

It's a hell of a lot cheaper than what it'd cost me to drive down from Scotland, that's for sure..

And it'll only take about an hour or so from London.

The Rose Dragon
2009-05-27, 06:49 PM
Problem: if I'm in England, it will be due to summer practice.

I can afford the money, I cannot afford the time.

Jontom Xire
2009-05-28, 02:39 AM
No.

Go

It's a much better game than chess. In addition it's the only game of this sort I know which has a handicap system so that really good people can play not so good people and both still enjoy it (although perhaps not quite as much as an even game).

KuReshtin
2009-05-28, 02:44 AM
Go

It's a much better game than chess. In addition it's the only game of this sort I know which has a handicap system so that really good people can play not so good people and both still enjoy it (although perhaps not quite as much as an even game).

If anyone's got it: BRING IT!
I wanna try it.

Castaras
2009-05-28, 02:57 AM
If anyone's got it: BRING IT!
I wanna try it.

*agrees with this wholeheartedly*

potatocubed
2009-05-28, 03:29 AM
I have a go set. Somewhere. I'm not entirely certain about the rules, though, so you'd have to get someone else to explain it.

KuReshtin
2009-05-28, 03:53 AM
I have a go set. Somewhere. I'm not entirely certain about the rules, though, so you'd have to get someone else to explain it.

Can probably find the rules on the interwebs somewhere..

Archonic Energy
2009-05-28, 03:57 AM
Birmingham and Leeds, they've been in, iirc.

The most recent one was planned to be in Basingstoke but it never happened.

Speak for yourself, I was in Basingstoke that Weekend, and a very good weekend i had too. Thanks C.

Cas, you may want to PM the regulars... just sayin' is all.

On a related note...
London? :smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2009-05-28, 03:59 AM
On a related note...
London? :smalltongue:

No. fluff text to make the message long enough to post.

Archonic Energy
2009-05-28, 04:06 AM
I was going to edit this in but...

The only way that can happen is if we can find someone willing to organise it in London.

Be careful what you wish for... :smallamused:

Totally Guy
2009-05-28, 04:13 AM
I was going to edit this in but...

Be careful what you wish for... :smallamused:

I was just saying that I don't believe that anybody in London would have to balls to take the initiative. Obvious goading is obvious.

Kantur
2009-05-28, 06:02 AM
The BloodBowl certain used to be on the GW website for free as a pdf and I made sure to snag a copy of all the Specialist Games stuff just after they changed to the new website, so if anyone wants a copy, PM me.

However, I doubt I'll be to make it to this meet-up, money's tight at the moment and it'll all depend on if I can get work quickly for the summer.

Vampiric
2009-05-28, 06:09 AM
Fear not, for I have arrived!

>_>
<_<

Anyhoo, I plan on coming to this one, as I have the benefit of living in Buxton, for all those hard-to-reach Northern places, and a railcard and a family down south, for a southern meetup :smallbiggrin:

Preference would obviously be midlands, as that's where I currently reside, but otherwise, I'm not fussed :smallsmile:

Nameless
2009-05-28, 06:21 AM
I was just saying that I don't believe that anybody in London would have to balls to take the initiative. Obvious goading is obvious.

Which is why I suggested we all meet at Southbank and throw an un-organised public party. :smallbiggrin:

Totally Guy
2009-05-28, 06:26 AM
Which is why I suggested we all meet at Southbank and throw an un-organised public party. :smallbiggrin:

Cool.

We've found our host! I knew we could count on you.:smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2009-05-28, 06:50 AM

'Un-Organised' meaning that two turn up on Saturday mid-morning and grow tired of waiting for the rest, only to later hear that three more turned up just after lunch, and another 3 turned up on the Sunday?

I'll take the executive decision (as it's pretty much been hinted at as the best location to get to) that we set the location as Peterborough.
Obviously, I'm a bit too far away to make any bookings or plans of that sort, so someone else needs to take care of that.

I would also propose August 22nd or 29th as possible dates. These dates are totally random, but at least it's a start to the discussion.

Any objections to this, start the name-callings now.
Thanks.

Castaras
2009-05-28, 06:54 AM
Peterborough, yus!

I'll add that to the first post. So that we have a definite location. Hmm... Who here is old enough to book a place and in the vicinity of Peterborough who is willing to do so?

Last_resort_33
2009-05-28, 09:58 AM
I know I only lurk these days, but I would agree with Peterborough!

Totally Guy
2009-05-28, 10:26 AM
Who here is old enough to book a place and in the vicinity of Peterborough who is willing to do so?

:roy:Whoever you get to do it is sure going to have their hands... Aww crap it's me isn't it?

It's actually my mum that lives there but I'd have no trouble looking for a venue when I next visit. I'll need to think a bit about the date myself for a bit...

Should I prioritise car accessability and parking or vicinity to the railway station?

Castaras
2009-05-28, 10:36 AM
Railway station, methinks. Then we can get people parking there if needbe, and getting to the pub just by walking, which means it's easier on the drivers. =)

Totally Guy
2009-05-28, 11:01 AM
Railway station, methinks. Then we can get people parking there if needbe, and getting to the pub just by walking, which means it's easier on the drivers. =)

I don't think it's free. We'd need to be further from the station to get a pub with a car park.

Castaras
2009-05-28, 11:09 AM
I don't think it's free. We'd need to be further from the station to get a pub with a car park.

I meant parking at the railway station. *shrugs* I'm just thinking that if it's near the railway station, you have the station carpark for those coming by car, and you have the station for those coming by train.

Last_resort_33
2009-05-28, 11:30 AM
Station parking costs a fortune. I would prioritise for parking and possibly get one on a bus route that passes the station. Plus the further away from the station, the further away from town, the further away from town, the less crowded and larger the venue will be, which is a bonus... Assuming I can make the date, I will get people from the station.

KuReshtin
2009-05-29, 02:59 AM
Assuming I can make the date, I will get people from the station.

Same here.

banjo1985
2009-05-29, 04:02 AM
Station car parking in general is horrible, though my local station is free!

Peterborough isn't to bad for me I think, train links from Bham are quite good, one bonus of living here I guess.

Archonic Energy
2009-05-29, 04:09 AM

i was more thinking the O2...

none of that nasty "sunlight"

bosssmiley
2009-05-29, 05:24 AM
Bossman if you come down, drag that Mathew (kicking and screaming) with you.

Him and Thufir both, and hopefully pick up Last Resort 33 as we head through God's Country (aka Yorkshire).

Yep, it'll be just like old times. Hairy northerners ravening southwards pillaging the women, ravishing the livestock, and enacting bloody duels over nuanced interpretation of obscure points of ancient lore. :smallcool:

note to self: viking hats. Also mead.

I'm envisioning a blasted crater of Win! where Peterborough used to be. We can call it Lake Burlew or sommat... :smallbiggrin:

Nameless
2009-05-29, 05:39 AM
i was more thinking the O2...

none of that nasty "sunlight"

That would require money.
And it's harder to get to the O2 because you need to change to the DR and DLR's are confusing. :smallannoyed:

Last_resort_33
2009-05-29, 08:07 AM
Him and Thufir both, and hopefully pick up Last Resort 33 as we head through God's Country (aka Yorkshire).

I'll probably drive myself as I may end up taking my entire games group.

note to self: viking hats. Also mead.

I live in York now... these things are expected as part of one's day to day life. Honestly 30 Vikings and 30 Saxons marching through the city centre and the locals don't bat an eyelid. I swear I have seen a queue of fully armed Roman auxillia ordering pasties from Greggs! (admittedly one had to stand outside holding all the spears, cos they were too tall to fit in the shop)

The_Librarian
2009-05-29, 11:21 AM
I am under threat of having pies thrown at me if I do not post here.

Peterborough sounds good - it's not too long a rail ride for me and if worse comes to worse, I shall get a taxi from the station (having learnt my lesson about public transport and Google maps...) All hinges on a date, of course.

Nameless
2009-05-29, 01:32 PM
Vikings... *drool*

Eldpollard
2009-05-29, 03:23 PM
I have bloodbowl. Well, to be more accurate I have a team, of unpainted models in varying stages of damage. And I don't have a board. But I do have a friend (well I have numerous) and he has a board that I may be able to acquire for such an event.

Castaras
2009-05-31, 07:30 AM
If Charity doesn't come, someone else needs to bring Nuclear War.

as in, NEEDS TO. :smallbiggrin: I wanna do my cockroach act again!

Exeson
2009-05-31, 09:30 AM
Well if it is on a day/s that I'm free I would love to come and finally meet you peeps. Money will be an issue, as well as Parent's permission but you never know, I might get lucky.

Kobold-Bard
2009-05-31, 10:13 AM
... I live in York now... these things are expected as part of one's day to day life. Honestly 30 Vikings and 30 Saxons marching through the city centre and the locals don't bat an eyelid. I swear I have seen a queue of fully armed Roman auxillia ordering pasties from Greggs! (admittedly one had to stand outside holding all the spears, cos they were too tall to fit in the shop)

I think I saw those guys in the pub. One of them went up to the bar and ordered 12 pints of lager and a diet coke. The woman looked both terrified and amused in that order.

As for the meetup, by the time August comes around I should be able o afford coming. The Birmingham meetup was good. Long live Glug :smallbiggrin:

KuReshtin
2009-05-31, 04:04 PM
If Charity doesn't come, someone else needs to bring Nuclear War.

as in, NEEDS TO. :smallbiggrin: I wanna do my cockroach act again!

I haz Nuke Wars. Will bring if Chaz doesn't show up.

Archonic Energy
2009-06-02, 09:05 AM
I live in York now...

that's near London... :smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2009-06-03, 04:16 AM
that's near London... :smalltongue:

Hang on. Are you now saying you want the meet in York?
But... That'd mean you'd want to go further from London than if it wer in Peterborough.

Who are you and what have you done to our AE?

Archonic Energy
2009-06-03, 06:53 AM
But... That'd mean you'd want to go further from London than if it wer in Peterborough.

:smalleek:
i was more suggesting that LR33 come to London for the meet...
and AE is still here thank you very much

Totally Guy
2009-06-03, 07:01 AM

I could have sworn I'd already posted this joke. But apparently not.

If you're really up for the travel AE you could come visit LR and me for York Maze naked night.:smalltongue:

onasuma
2009-06-03, 07:20 AM
Oh! Id missed this til now! Definatly interessted (given Ive failed to come to each one thus far, dont get your hopes up).

Charity
2009-06-03, 07:45 AM
I could have sworn I'd already posted this joke. But apparently not.

If you're really up for the travel AE you could come visit LR and me for York Maze naked night.:smalltongue:

Pictures or it didn't happen :smalltongue:

I dunno if I am wishing you a sunny day(sunburn!) or not (shinkage...)

Headless_Ninja
2009-06-05, 03:28 PM
Haven't been active on the boards lately, but I'm realising why I loved them so much in the first place. If it's close enough (London/Birmingham would be acceptable), and I have money and permission I'd love to come.
EDIT: Oh, and if it doesn't conicide with results day/birthdays/holidays, of course.

Hawkeye
2009-06-05, 11:05 PM
((delurks))

Peterborough would be nice, I could get a direct train there...although getting back might be a little tricky as the last train is at 9:30pm and I'd like to stay longer than that...

Oh well, if the worst comes to the worst I'll just have to stay in a travelodge again.

And yes, as you can tell, I plan to go.

((lurks))

unstattedCommoner
2009-06-09, 03:33 PM
(unsubtle bump)

Charity
2009-06-11, 02:26 AM
Is this some sort of indicator that you intend to go U-S? (more subtle?)

Jibar
2009-06-11, 03:16 AM
Can I just ask a favour?
I ain't as active as I was so I'm not likely to check this thread often, and I know I've said I'd come like the last three times, but when a final decision is made could someone PM the facts to me?
'Cos I'll totally come this time. :smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2009-06-11, 04:43 AM
Can I just ask a favour?
I ain't as active as I was so I'm not likely to check this thread often, and I know I've said I'd come like the last three times, but when a final decision is made could someone PM the facts to me?
'Cos I'll totally come this time. :smalltongue:

We can try to remember it.

And of course you will. :smallwink:

Eldpollard
2009-06-14, 11:16 AM
Okay people, we need to sort things out. We seem to have settled on Peterborough (which I am assured is not in Scotland), but we still need a date and a venue. The sooner we sort out the details the more people can come.

potatocubed
2009-06-14, 04:37 PM
Using my Arbitrary Date-Setting Stance, I suggest Saturday the 1st of August.

If this is no good, speak now!

Thufir
2009-06-14, 04:43 PM
This is no good!

Dr. Bath
2009-06-15, 03:45 AM
This is no good!

bosssmiley
2009-06-15, 05:45 AM
Here we go again. :smallamused:

(btw: any weekend in the summer apart from Sat 11th July is good for me)

KuReshtin
2009-06-15, 05:47 AM
I can do pretty much any date in July-August. Just need a bit of a head's up on the date so I can rearrange soe engagements for the weekend in question.

Dr. Bath
2009-06-15, 05:50 AM
How about the 8th of August? for totally unselfish reasons...

Also: who was going to go check out locations in Peterborough? That could have a great effect on when the meetup can be held.

Totally Guy
2009-06-15, 06:30 AM
I was going to scout ahead and find a suitable venue.

I've refrained from naming a date just yet as I'm organising my holidays with work to allow me to stay in Peterborough for a week or so. And my manager is away at the moment.

However it is likely that the weekends of 1st August and the 8th would both fit into my current plans if I can have them finalised with work. If anybody remembers I'm a construction prefessional and school buildings need to be completed for september which makes it hard to book time off in August.

Whether or not I get my time off I'll still make sure we have a meet up. I'm just trying to maximise my payoff.:smallwink:

KuReshtin
2009-06-15, 06:47 AM
I'm just trying to maximise my payoff.:smallwink:

I'll give you 5 GP and a token for a free Subway meal*.

*Only redeemable at participating Subway restaurants in the west of Scotland.

Eldpollard
2009-06-15, 07:11 AM
Any date is good for me apart from the 22nd of August. I have a music festival to go to that week.

banjo1985
2009-06-15, 07:16 AM
The 1st or the 8th should be okay for me I think, any later in the month and it becomes a bit more iffy.

Thufir
2009-06-15, 08:37 AM
Weekends in July/August:

18th July is fine, 25th should be fine.
15th August should be fine, 22nd is fine.

Other weekends may encounter problems.

Last_resort_33
2009-06-15, 10:36 AM
Not the 1st, as I will be at Wacken... hopefully

Hawkeye
2009-06-18, 11:11 AM
Any weekend is fine with me.

((sigh, I must get a social life sometime))

The_Librarian
2009-06-18, 11:49 AM
Any weekend is fine with me.

((sigh, I must get a social life sometime))

(('tis over-rated}}

All dates sound good with me :)

KuReshtin
2009-06-19, 04:43 AM
As it turns out, the 8th of August would be absolutely perfect for me.
Will most likely be at a wedding down south on the Friday anyways, so if the 8th is decided upon as the date of the meet That would just be awesome.
Well, for me, anyways, since it means I don't have to try to sort out two trips down south in less than a month. :smallwink:

potatocubed
2009-06-19, 04:47 AM
Alright!

The date of the next UK meetup is the 8th of August!

Seriously, if someone doesn't just nail it down we'll waffle about it forever.

8th 8th 8th.

Peterborough Peterborough Peterborough.

KuReshtin
2009-06-19, 05:28 AM
Good initiative, P3.

I felt that I didn't want to nail the date down, since I'm far away and I already (pretty much) nailed down the location earlier in the thread.

Thufir
2009-06-19, 05:46 AM
Blargh. Well, I suppose it's still possible I can make it. Just I may be knackered.

KuReshtin
2009-06-19, 05:51 AM
Blargh. Well, I suppose it's still possible I can make it. Just I may be knackered.

So? I'll have been to a wedding the day before. I'll probably be both knackered and slightly hungover. Thenagain, considering I'll have to drive from Wantage to Peterborough in the morning, I'll try to keep the drinking sensible at the wedding reception.

Will give me an opportunity to come to the UKitP meet wearing a kilt, though. Just for the hell of it.

Thufir
2009-06-19, 06:02 AM
So? I'll have been to a wedding the day before. I'll probably be both knackered and slightly hungover. Thenagain, considering I'll have to drive from Wantage to Peterborough in the morning, I'll try to keep the drinking sensible at the wedding reception.

Will give me an opportunity to come to the UKitP meet wearing a kilt, though. Just for the hell of it.

Yeah, but weddings, to my knowledge, take place more during the day. How likely is it to go on until 3am or whatever and quite possibly end in you sleeping for at most about 3 hours on a friend's floor?
I thought so.
And the only reason I didn't say I'd be hungover is because I very rarely get hungover.

Totally Guy
2009-06-19, 06:05 AM
The date of the next UK meetup is the 8th of August!

Oi, you're putting words in my mouth.

Fortunately they're the right ones. So 8th it is. Subject to sorting out a venue on that date.

KuReshtin
2009-06-19, 06:13 AM
Yeah, but weddings, to my knowledge, take place more during the day. How likely is it to go on until 3am or whatever and quite possibly end in you sleeping for at most about 3 hours on a friend's floor?
I thought so.
And the only reason I didn't say I'd be hungover is because I very rarely get hungover.

The wedding itself may very well be during the day, but the reception might very well last for quite some time. at least if the wedings I've been to previously are anything to go by.

Might be a packed weeend for me, that weekend. Wedding on the Friday in Wantage, UKitP meet in Peterborough on the saturday, and possible (if really needed and at all practical) officiating a football game on the Sunday somewhere between Peterborough and Scotland.

Last_resort_33
2009-06-19, 07:49 AM
All sounds good

smellie_hippie
2009-06-19, 07:55 AM
... course you could all jump across the pond to the SE Trogland meetup. We've got plenty of hosting spots for gaming events and such. :smallbiggrin:

We even have good beer... :smalltongue:

Jimp
2009-06-19, 08:27 AM
I'm tempted to go as the 8th of August is good for me and an Irish meet would basically be what, maybe 3 of us? 4? :smalltongue: What else is around Peterborough? Might make a weekend out of it :smallbiggrin:

Charity
2009-06-19, 08:41 AM
All dates sound good with me :)

Can I quote you on that. My irony cup runneth over.
I think Ikkie is is the colonies Americas on the 8th, but he's away for months so looks like he'll be missin out... on that note

... course you could all jump across the pond to the SE Trogland meetup. We've got plenty of hosting spots for gaming events and such. :smallbiggrin:

We even have weak beer...

:smalltongue:

smellie_hippie
2009-06-19, 08:56 AM
@^ Not MY beer pal :smallannoyed:... but yes, some of that other crap they try to pass off as beer is indeed moose urine....

CurlyKitGirl
2009-06-19, 09:30 AM
Ah, I may have to back out of this. POSSIBLY.

The cost's not so bad: only £43.75 by train if I get two singles.

But the journey up lasts eleven hours, and leaves at 10pm on the 7th with three changes. It also involves me waiting for five hours at Plymouth station and a journey on the London tube. Which I'd need an oyster card for? Oh, and I'd be at Peterborough just before 11am.
And the journey back home is about fourteen hours an rather scarily, involves a tube journey at night, waiting at London Paddington until half eleven and another six hour wait at Bristol.

Yes, I could probably find ways up with no waits, but it'd be expensive. And I'd still be alone.

So I may have to back out. After all, this will be my second olo train journey. And it's all at freakin' night.
I'll still try though.

potatocubed
2009-06-19, 09:42 AM
So I may have to back out. After all, this will be my second olo train journey. And it's all at freakin' night.
I'll still try though.

:smallconfused:

What station are you coming from? I mean, our rail network is overpriced and crap, but I bet I can find a better journey than that.

banjo1985
2009-06-19, 09:53 AM
That does sound like a horrific journey. Bristol, to my knowledge, connects straight to Birmingham, and there's a regular service to Peterborough from then. What's your starting station? I'll see if I can research an easier trip.

EDIT - A quick bit of research and St Ives (a guess for the sake of it) to Peterborough is not pretty. It actually seemsquicker to do St Ives to Birmingham New Street and then drive the rest of the way, as the train between Leicester & Peterborough must have square wheels or something to be so slow.

This makes me want to drive up there, and opens up the possibility of me picking bods up from Birmingham if need be, though the little turquoise monster will only carry four comfortably.

Kobold-Bard
2009-06-19, 10:20 AM
£34.30 if I book now. Definitely cheaper than last time (mostly due to my railcard expiring the day before I travelled :smallannoyed:)

I may actually be able to afford this one :smallsmile:

unstattedCommoner
2009-06-19, 10:23 AM
Ah, I may have to back out of this. POSSIBLY.

The cost's not so bad: only £43.75 by train if I get two singles.

WHAT?! It's £45ish one-way from Gloucester (£57.10 return)! :smallfurious:

EDIT:

the train between Leicester & Peterborough must have square wheels or something to be so slow.

The "train" between Leicester and Peterborough is a bus.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-06-19, 11:10 AM
:smallconfused:

What station are you coming from? I mean, our rail network is overpriced and crap, but I bet I can find a better journey than that.

Penzance to Peterborough. Pretty place to live, but hell to travel anywhere.

That does sound like a horrific journey. Bristol, to my knowledge, connects straight to Birmingham, and there's a regular service to Peterborough from then. What's your starting station? I'll see if I can research an easier trip.

EDIT - A quick bit of research and St Ives (a guess for the sake of it) to Peterborough is not pretty. It actually seemsquicker to do St Ives to Birmingham New Street and then drive the rest of the way, as the train between Leicester & Peterborough must have square wheels or something to be so slow.

This makes me want to drive up there, and opens up the possibility of me picking bods up from Birmingham if need be, though the little turquoise monster will only carry four comfortably.

Hmmm, I'll give a few other possible routes a try, and if anyone's willing to offer a lift even if it's just from Peterborough station to venue I'd be grateful.
Still, I can't wait to go up country for uni, even for a part of the year as travel'd be one hell of a lot easier.

WHAT?! It's £45ish one-way from Gloucester (£57.10 return)! :smallfurious:

>.>
<.<
I can pass for fifteen (uppermost limit for child fares), so I see no reason to enlighten the train companies a to anything else. But I am going to check out adult fares because I could get myself a railcard instead.

What were the prices: two Advanced SIngles, the one up is just under £11 and the one down is the rest.
I doubt this includes tube fare.

Last_resort_33
2009-06-19, 11:19 AM
Penzance to Peterborough.

If you can get to Bristol, I can probably pick you up in my car by stopping off at my parents the night before, (this wouldn't be out of my way, I haven't seen them for AGES)

Charity
2009-06-19, 11:39 AM
Not sure that coming ti B/stoke first would do you any favours curley
Still a 51/2 hour journey... otherwise you'd be welcome to a lift.

Lensman
2009-06-19, 01:04 PM
Hmmm. Castaras and I can't do the 8th - we're on holiday then! Would have difficulty with the 15th, too.

The_Librarian
2009-06-19, 03:05 PM
Can I quote you on that. My irony cup runneth over.:smalltongue:

Calendar dates, Charity! I am a Mrs!

Okay, now we've a set date, I've started looking at train times and ticket prices and unless by some fluke the ticket price falls between now and the 8th of August, I can't afford it :( Sorry guys :(

*starts planning a bank robbery*

Castaras
2009-06-19, 03:42 PM
Hmmm. Castaras and I can't do the 8th - we're on holiday then! Would have difficulty with the 15th, too.

Aww damn, forgot about that. :smallfrown:

Eh well. I'll keep on updating the first post for you guys anyway. :smallsmile:

xPANCAKEx
2009-06-19, 03:55 PM
Travelling through london

you don't need an oyster card - you can still buy paper tickets from machines... just works out a bit cheaper if you have an oyster

travelling at "night" - travel on the tube late in the evening is safe as anything. CCTV everywhere, and the carraiges are rarely empty that late night. If its gets 12:30-1am you're probably looking at night bus territory

KuReshtin
2009-06-19, 05:13 PM

Damn. That means there'll be no Star Wars D6 game for this meet.

Last_resort_33
2009-06-20, 04:15 AM
Librarian, Where are you from?

potatocubed
2009-06-20, 04:44 AM
Penzance to Peterborough.

Okay, so I looked, and I think I might be proven wrong. I found a ~£40 (adult, no card) fare that will get you to Bristol, where LR33 can pick you up, except it still takes 5+ hours to get there.

What I would do in your position is go to Bristol the day before, spend the night in a Travelodge or something, then have LR33 take you the rest of the way on the day. The downside is the expense of the Travelodge.

I'm stumped. :smallfrown:

KuReshtin
2009-06-23, 01:38 PM
It's now been finalised that I'll be going down to Wantage, Oxfordshire the day before the meetup, and will be travelling up through Oxford on the day, so if anyone's around there and wants a lift to Peterborough, feel free to give me a shout.
I will, however, not be able to give anyone a lift back to Oxford again, but it might help out with travel expenses a bit for anyone wanting a lift.

Oh, and... *BUMP*

Ikkitosen
2009-06-27, 02:33 AM
As Chaz says, I am in U S and A this summer, sunning it up mainly working my ass off in the state of the Governator. D'ya reckon I'll get to meet him?? :smallcool:

KuReshtin
2009-07-01, 04:01 AM
Sneaky bump.

Charity
2009-07-01, 05:48 AM
@^ Not MY beer pal :smallannoyed:... but yes, some of that other crap they try to pass off as beer is indeed moose urine....

Hey Hippy man, I was just teasin about the beer you know that.

In other news I have just discovered that my place of work is closing down in August. So not only will I be broke and busy looking for work, but as I have to oversee the breaking up of the assets I'll be bloody busy with that too...
Preamble over, this means I am very unlikely to make it there, sorry to anyone relying on me for a lift.

Archonic Energy
2009-07-01, 06:11 AM
8th 8th 8th.

Peterborough Peterborough Peterborough.

London?
i should be there...

Edit:
@^ sorry to hear that. hope you find a suitable replacement place soon...

dish
2009-07-01, 12:07 PM
In other news I have just discovered that my place of work is closing down in August. So not only will I be broke and busy looking for work, but as I have to oversee the breaking up of the assets I'll be bloody busy with that too...
Preamble over, this means I am very unlikely to make it there, sorry to anyone relying on me for a lift.

Ouch. I'm really sorry to hear that. :smallfrown:

Mr. Mud
2009-07-01, 12:09 PM
This is extremely unrelated, but last night I dreamt I was on a trip to england with my family... I forgot my tennis shoes, my cell phone charger, and to alert you all that'd I'd be coming to the UK... In time for the meetup...

Sadly, 'taws but a dream :smallfrown:.

Lensman
2009-07-01, 03:03 PM

You have my sympathies - I hope they're offering you a reasonable redundancy package. Good luck with job hunting.

Totally Guy
2009-07-04, 08:10 AM
Ok, I've been looking at function rooms in Peterborough.

The Swiss Cottage
Pros:
Cheaper than our previous venues. Should be able to pass on this saving.
Roadside parking , residential area.
Privacy, own dedicated room.
Option to (bring own food)/(order pizza)/(arrange buffet like last time).
Just about walking distance from station (about 25 minutes on foot).

Cons:
The venue is a bit grotty.

I thought I had an ace up my sleeve, our FLGS owed me a favour and had an upstairs room but unfortunately I discovered it was under new management and the room no longer an option. That's one favour I'll not see returned.:smallannoyed:

Totally Guy
2009-07-05, 06:50 AM
I have booked the venue as above.

So this is now concrete.

Date:8th August
Time:12:00pm until however late.

2 Grove Street
Woodston
Peterborough
PE2 9AG
Google Map (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=m)

Catering: We can bring our own food or call a pizza on the the day! Drinks bought from the bar please. If you lot really want a buffet that can be arranged but I don't think you can really go wrong with pizza.

For the hire of the room I'd ask for about £2.50 from each of you on the day.

potatocubed
2009-07-05, 07:05 AM
Cool. Nice work Glug.

Now it's up to everybody else to get there on the day!

Totally Guy
2009-07-05, 12:53 PM
Now is the fun part. We get to natter about the activities rather than all that organisation stuff.

What games do people want running?

Castaras
2009-07-05, 04:41 PM
First post updated, and got Roland to change the title(thankye! ^.^).

Archonic Energy
2009-07-06, 07:02 AM
The Archon is verifying the 4 dimentional co-ordinates supplied...

... and is wondering if it is worth staying at a local hotel for the night.

Hawkeye
2009-07-06, 02:12 PM
I'm more of a PC than a GM, I'll most likely have a try at something that's being offered.

I think this'll be a day trip for me, it's close enough to get to and from in a day and I like sleeping in my own bed. And it cuts down on money spent too (living on barely above minimum payment = not good).

KuReshtin
2009-07-07, 03:47 AM
I'm going to try to find a hotel to stay at for the night between Saturday/Sunday.

Could be interested in sharing to cut down costs of staying a bit more.

banjo1985
2009-07-07, 05:09 AM
Okay, now we have a definite place I can now start to plan on coming...and whether I'll run anything or not.

*goes away to ponder and see what other people are offering to run*

Dr. Bath
2009-07-07, 05:22 AM
I can bring: Thud, Munchkin with two expansions. That's the sum total of stuff I am able to bring.

KuReshtin
2009-07-07, 06:01 AM
Since Charity is highly unlikely to attend, I will bring Nuclear Wars.
Castaras demanded it, and I obey. Even if she won't be there. Which will only be a good thing, since she can't cockroach her way to victory.

Castaras
2009-07-07, 08:16 AM
Which will only be a good thing, since she can't cockroach her way to victory.

>=)

Fear the might of the UKitP's cockroach!

banjo1985
2009-07-07, 09:23 AM
Well, I has one of the largest geek boardgame collections known to man, and I can run an RPG of some sort too...possibly.

Me specialises in World of Darkness in general, and I've got a Geist quickstart that I could try out.

Eldpollard
2009-07-09, 08:01 PM
I will bring my rather vast Munchkin collection. I can also bring Bodgers, which is rather a fun card game.

So I'd best get time off work, at least it's close to the train station.

KuReshtin
2009-07-10, 02:23 AM
Just booked hotel room for the Saturday night of the meet.

If people haven't booked yet, it might be a nice idea for people to book at the same hotel. I'll volunteer to be nerd-herder again for those interested.

Express by Holiday Inn (http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/express-peterborough.html?aid=303948;label=peterborough-LPgcXqYnQcImMLvX2kR9ZgS895962921;sid=605a4321e285d 78397fc47ae319f52fd) still has a few rooms available for decent prices, especially if people decide to share. £45/room, including breakfast. It's about 10 minutes by car from the venue, but I don't see that as a problem since there will be a couple of people coming by car.

I'm willing to share if anyone's interested as it saves me a bit of money. :smallsmile: I will most likely be up and out pretty early on the Sunday morning, though, just to give a slight head's up.

Vampiric
2009-07-13, 05:14 AM
If someone else doesn't urgently need to take your offer, KR, I will. :smallsmile:

onasuma
2009-07-13, 05:15 AM
Dammit. I just found out Im leaving for devon on the 9th. No way are my parents going to let me get away with this...

Charity
2009-07-13, 05:16 AM
Hey Kur, how close to Glasgow do you live?
I'm going to be up there near the end of August if you fancy a pint.

Lorn
2009-07-13, 06:03 AM
I live in York now... these things are expected as part of one's day to day life. Honestly 30 Vikings and 30 Saxons marching through the city centre and the locals don't bat an eyelid.
Eh, I kind of get your point, but really, they definitely notice... ;)

I've been down in York twice this year for re-enactments - the Jorvik Viking Festival in Feb and a show over Easter - and twice we've had a huge turnout. One got to see me singlehandedly managing the entire North East turnout in all matters military (with my own parents trying to make things hard and drag people off without mentioning) due to being the highest ranking person there (two hit axeman... not a good sign) and the other got to see me hit in the mouth with a shield during combat, by accident :p

Anyway. Onto business.

Sadly, unless I can miraculously get a job that allows me about a week off around thr 16th/17th and the 7-9th off as well, I won't be able to make it - no money (unless I get a job) and unlikely I'd be able to get that time off straight after getting in without making a really bad first impression with everyone.

I always forget how busy my summers get :p

However, as I've said before, next time I'll have a good go at getting there...

KuReshtin
2009-07-14, 03:38 PM
If someone else doesn't urgently need to take your offer, KR, I will. :smallsmile:

Done.

Hey Kur, how close to Glasgow do you live?
I'm going to be up there near the end of August if you fancy a pint.

I'm about 35 miles west of Glasgow, so about 40 minutes by car.
Gimme a shout when you're up here, and I'll be up for a pint or three.

Jontom Xire
2009-07-17, 02:22 AM
I was sure I had subscribed to this thread yet I haven't received any updates.

Anyway I see from the first post that the date has been settled at 8th August which means I can't come as I am having my annual summer holiday then.

KuReshtin
2009-07-17, 02:51 AM
People are falling like flies from this event..

Can we get a roll call to see who's actually coming to the event and what they'll bring along?

I'll be there. I will bring my Nuclear Wars packs (even if the cockroach won't be there)

Archonic Energy
2009-07-17, 03:44 AM
i should be there.

barring nuclear war, swine Flu, etc

Last_resort_33
2009-07-17, 05:28 AM
I'm Coming

Vampiric
2009-07-17, 11:50 AM
Count me in.

Archonic Energy
2009-07-20, 04:39 AM
Fare from London is £20...
Nights Board & Breakfast £45...

Ok i'm going to want to book the train tickes soon so i can get the much cheaper advance rate... So, Go/No Go for launch?

Totally Guy
2009-07-20, 04:57 AM
The room is booked the event is going ahead.

I should be able to run a game of D&D 4th Edition again. Who wants in on that?

KuReshtin
2009-07-20, 04:59 AM
I'll be there no matter what.
I'm already booked into the hotel room, and since Glug's already got the pub booked, we could always end up with a 4e game if there's only 5 or 6 of us there.

I'd say you go ahead and book it, AE.

Edit: ninja'd by Glug.

Glug, I'll be up for a 4e game if possible. Would you require us to make our own characters, or would you create the charaters and hand them out onthe day? I'm kind of working on a Deva Cleric for a potential campaign with the RP group up here, so I'd be interested to give him a go to see if I'm suited to play a Cleric.
I'm usually the default rogue, so a cleric would be interesting to try.

Totally Guy
2009-07-20, 05:03 AM
Fare from London is £20...
Nights Board & Breakfast £45...

Ok i'm going to want to book the train tickes soon so i can get the much cheaper advance rate... So, Go/No Go for launch?

What about the possibility of a late train back?

Edit: KuReshtin, I'll only be using PHB 1&2. We'll start at level 1 but I'll accellerate the experience.

Also I'll be bringing two of my little brothers on this occassion.

Eldpollard
2009-07-21, 06:05 PM
Whew! I had a panic thinking I couldn't come. I had the wrong date. For some reason I thought it was the 1st of August. I should be okay for time off work.

So any chance of giving a Yorkshire person a lift down? I live near Huddersfield but I can travel if it makes it easier. If not I'll get the train.
Also, is anyone willing to share a hotel/bnb room? I'm a 20 year old male if it matters. Or does anyone have a comfy floor I can crash on for the night?

I will come to this one.

Archonic Energy
2009-07-22, 04:25 AM
Also, is anyone willing to share a hotel/bnb room?

ok... but i sleep with a firearm under my pillow so you had best not snore!

also can you PM me your real name for the hotel booking i don't think they'll accept "Joey Jo-Jo Junior Shabadoo"

oh & Glug count me in for 4th Ed.
do you want us to pre-make the chars?

Nameless
2009-07-22, 07:07 AM
Heh, if I had any way to get there, I would so totally come. :smalltongue:

Eldpollard
2009-07-23, 05:15 PM
So what sort of time are we all turning up?

KuReshtin
2009-07-24, 01:04 AM
So what sort of time are we all turning up?

I'll try to be there around 11-ish or so. If they haven't opened at that point, I'll find somewhere to have a cup of tea or something and sit around for a while.

Totally Guy
2009-07-24, 02:57 AM
It starts when the pub opens at 12:00.

It's intentionally outside the city centre due to pricy pricy parking although it's walkable with a map. So your cup of tea trip might be a little more effort than you intend.

KuReshtin
2009-07-24, 05:24 AM
It starts when the pub opens at 12:00.

It's intentionally outside the city centre due to pricy pricy parking although it's walkable with a map. So your cup of tea trip might be a little more effort than you intend.

I'll just stop on the way to pick up a bottle of Coke, then, and sit in the car for a bit, listening to music. :smallsmile:

Eldpollard
2009-07-24, 10:50 AM
Perfect! I think my train gets me in to Peterborough for about 12. I'm looking forward to this. I'll bring my stupid amount of munchkin games.
I don't suppose anyone would be interested in playing some Iron Kingdoms would they? It's a sort of steampunk setting using mostly 3.5 rules.

Dr. Bath
2009-07-29, 03:00 PM
Hiyoo. This is still on right? Is there anyone going from London by car by the way? As that would be super helpful since then I only need a return train ticket.

Totally Guy
2009-07-29, 03:16 PM
Who's up for which games then?

I've got two little brother's who should be coming. One of them should said he'd be interested in seeing Iron kingdoms. The other... I'm not sure.

And so far we've got 2 for D&D.

LR33 and Oliver will be there too but I don't think they've picked a game yet. But they probably don't want to play my 4E again. There's a reason I'm not DMing our group any more. The finale of our last campaign replaced the dramatic climactic encounter with the Big Bad with a "find a really nice cake for the big bad when all the shops are closed!"

Who's in for what?

To those playing 4E with me have a talk amongst yourselves to make some characters. We'll be using PHB 1&2.

potatocubed
2009-07-29, 03:40 PM
I feel like I should run something, but I don't have any suitably short scenarios.

Oh, wait, yes I do...

I have a Nobilis convention scenario I could run for people. Maximum of six players. Anyone interested?

Dr. Bath
2009-07-29, 03:58 PM
I am interested in playing anything, but have precisely no experience in any RPG other than Savage Worlds. I'm still willing to give it a try though.

Archonic Energy
2009-07-30, 08:00 AM
Hotel... booked.
Train tickets... to be booked.
Character... to be "rolled"

Charity
2009-07-31, 07:21 AM
If you are playing 4e Archie I can give you some pointers if you like

KuReshtin
2009-07-31, 08:58 AM
I am interested in playing anything, but have precisely no experience in any RPG other than Savage Worlds. I'm still willing to give it a try though.

I don't think that it's any problem to just show up even if you have no experience of RPG gaming.
We're usually pretty easy-going and willing to explain.

As long as you know the difference between a d8 and a d20, that is..

Headless_Ninja
2009-07-31, 12:01 PM
Curses! That's the last day of my holiday, so I won't be able to make it. Have fun guys!

Archonic Energy
2009-07-31, 12:17 PM
As long as you know the difference between a d8 and a d20, that is..

please that never stopped me...

Vampiric
2009-08-01, 08:21 AM
I'd like in on the 4e, please Glug, but I haven't played before, although I did have an idea for a character that I never got to play, so it shouldn't be too hard to write up at the venue.

Also, does someone know the route from the train station to the venue, or can I politely request a lift? :smallsmile:

KuReshtin
2009-08-01, 03:26 PM
Also, does someone know the route from the train station to the venue, or can I politely request a lift? :smallsmile:

Provided my phone has coverage at the venue, I'll be able to pick you up at the train station.

When do you arrive?

Eldpollard
2009-08-02, 03:04 PM
I wouldn't mind joining in with 4e. I bought the books when they came out and I haven't had chance to use them. And they're signed by one of the artists. Damn local game shops taking my money.
Everyone! I am quite looking forward to this. I even bought another munchkin's game for it. (Because of course I need more of them.)

Totally Guy
2009-08-02, 04:15 PM
Ok we'll call the 4E game full.

That's KuReshtin, Archonic energy, Vampiric and Eldpollard and Possibly my little brother Robin again.

If you want to talk amongst yourself over who does what party wise then we can be one step ahead on the day. If you need to make a character on the day I'll be able to assist with sheets and advice.

Archonic Energy
2009-08-02, 04:58 PM

That's KuReshtin, Archonic energy, Vampiric and Eldpollard and Possibly my little brother Robin again.

If you want to talk amongst yourself over who does what party wise then we can be one step ahead on the day. If you need to make a character on the day I'll be able to assist with sheets and advice.

... i call party tank/fighter type person.

KuReshtin
2009-08-03, 11:47 AM

I'll try the Cleric (booster/healer) type character.
Gives me a chance to see how that works for another campaign that we'll start running up here in a bit.

Eldpollard
2009-08-03, 06:20 PM
I'm happy with any class. Although rogue is fun.
I'm now trying to remember if I bought the PHB two. I think I did, but I have no idea where it is, or what it contained. I'll be sticking with core anyway.

KuReshtin
2009-08-04, 08:48 AM
I'm happy with any class. Although rogue is fun.
I'm now trying to remember if I bought the PHB two. I think I did, but I have no idea where it is, or what it contained. I'll be sticking with core anyway.

Rogues are awesome in 4e They're absolute killing machines.
Well, at least the rogue I'm playing in my regular 4e campaign.
The others have stopped calling him a rogue. They now just refer to him as 'the aggressive accountant'.

Archonic Energy
2009-08-04, 10:16 AM
The others have stopped calling him a rogue. They now just refer to him as 'the aggressive accountant'.

aren't they all? :smallamused:

KuReshtin
2009-08-05, 07:30 AM
aren't they all? :smallamused:

Well.. I guess... But.. :smallannoyed:

Anyway, only a couple more days to go until the UKitP meet.. Woohoo!

Need to get so much sorted before then.

- Dig out Nuclear Wars

- Finish Narasan the Cleric for the 4e game
- Pick up the kilt from the rental place
- Pack my refereeing kit for Sunday (officiating a game in Chester on Sunday)

- Make sure the MP3 player is crammed with good music

- Go to the bank to cash my last few game checks, so I can afford the petrol

So much to do, so litle time. I'm leaving for the South tomorrow morning.

Totally Guy
2009-08-06, 03:25 PM
Can I sign up my middle brother to the Iron Kingdoms game? He's not working that weekend.:smallsmile::smallsmile:

Hawkeye
2009-08-06, 09:24 PM
I won't be attending this time...hella personal issues coming up on Friday and I don't think I'll be in the mood to go on Saturday. Probably hung over as well. Have fun to all those who are going :)

KuReshtin
2009-08-07, 03:22 AM
Anyone that wants picking up from the train station tomorrow, or would need to get hold of me, please PM me to get my phone number.

Last_resort_33
2009-08-07, 10:22 AM
When will we be finishing? I think if it's ok Glug, we might just stop at your house long enough for Olli to have a shower. I think that we'll drive there and back on the same day. I've got no money left and I've got used to driving long distances (Hamburg to Calais, only stopping to grab a sandwich and a 6 pack of Red Bull in a Dutch service station, and at a Belgian service station to go the loo after all the red bull)

If anyone wants a lift anywhere, then call Oh double seven oh two, one five too zero nine four.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-07, 10:42 AM
We'l show you that quality is better then quantity, you...you...huge-meet-ups peoples!:smalltongue:

paddyfool
2009-08-07, 10:46 AM
One late maybe here... if I do rock up tomorrow, I'll be bringing a few board games (War on Terror, Settlers, maybe a couple others). Hope to see you there!

EDIT: If I was to rock up at Peterborough station tomorrow at 11:45 am (or whenever the train due in then actually arrives), would there be any chance of a lift to the venue? If so, could any driver that might be around possibly pm me their mobile number? Sorry to be so last-minute about this!

Dr. Bath
2009-08-07, 12:49 PM
One late maybe here... if I do rock up tomorrow, I'll be bringing a few board games (War on Terror, Settlers, maybe a couple others). Hope to see you there!

EDIT: If I was to rock up at Peterborough station tomorrow at 11:45 am (or whenever the train due in then actually arrives), would there be any chance of a lift to the venue? If so, could any driver that might be around possibly pm me their mobile number? Sorry to be so last-minute about this!

This is about the time I too shall be arriving, so any chauffeurs car owning people dropping by with a car would be greatly appreciated. :smalltongue: If not (also it's probably a good idea anyway) what are the directions from the station to the venue again?

Totally Guy
2009-08-07, 01:40 PM
This is about the time I too shall be arriving, so any chauffeurs car owning people dropping by with a car would be greatly appreciated. :smalltongue: If not (also it's probably a good idea anyway) what are the directions from the station to the venue again?

Station to Venue:Walking (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Station+Rd,+Peterborough,+PE1+(Peterborough+ Railway+Station)&daddr=pe2+9ag&hl=en&geocode=FT05IgMd1S_8_yGTWX214l7TzA%3B&mra=ls&dirflg=w&sll=52.57056,-0.245175&sspn=0.019458,0.038581&ie=UTF8&ll=52.56949,-0.245562&spn=0.019459,0.038581&z=15) Driving (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Station+Rd,+Peterborough,+PE1+(Peterborough+ Railway+Station)&daddr=pe2+9ag&hl=en&geocode=FT05IgMd1S_8_yGTWX214l7TzA%3B&mra=cc&sll=52.56949,-0.245562&sspn=0.019459,0.038581&ie=UTF8&z=15)

It's not too far to walk. Where it says Rivergate there's a Big Asda, from there you head towards and cross the bridge over the river and railway lines. Carry on down the other side under the railway bridge. Then the first drivable left.

KuReshtin
2009-08-08, 02:41 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, you now have three hours and fifteen minutes before the opening of the UKitP Summer Meetup.

See you there.

Eldpollard
2009-08-08, 02:58 AM
Everyone! Exciting times abound! The meet-up is this morning! Huzzahs all round I believe. I will be the shifty looking one with a T-shirt that has a cup of tea with a moustache on.

Dr. Bath
2009-08-08, 05:16 AM
AAGH. Surprise family visitation and going to doctors has forced me to miss out on this again. Sorry an' all.

Eldpollard
2009-08-08, 06:09 AM
AAGH. Surprise family visitation and going to doctors has forced me to miss out on this again. Sorry an' all.

Ah, that's a pity bath. Some other time hopefully.

I'm on the train now, and to my suprise and pleasure it has free wifi. We are living in the future. And I have a coffee which really tops everything. Peterborough in half an hour hopefully.

And I'm starting to think that Yorkshire is the abberation. Every time I leave things become flatter when I leave. Did you know the ground has a horizon?

Archonic Energy
2009-08-08, 02:55 PM
yay... Nuclear War, Munchkin, Portur rica, 4th ED, pizza, and free wi-fi... good day

KuReshtin
2009-08-08, 03:23 PM
yay... Nuclear War, Munchkin, Portur rica, 4th ED, pizza, and free wi-fi... good day

Free wi-fi? Why didn't you tell me?
I'm surfing from my phone (pizza break).

Archonic Energy
2009-08-08, 03:26 PM
Free wi-fi? Why didn't you tell me?
I'm surfing from my phone (pizza break).

hehe.

i suppose i need to type something to meet some character limit, but i can't think of anything important to ad to the conversation, so i guess i'll just whitter on about the character limit & hope that at some point i hit it... :smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2009-08-08, 09:32 PM
Funniest and most surreal thing just happened.
It's now 3.35am UK time, and a strange and very confused man just got into the hotel room and didn't know how he got here.
Somehow, he got from room 133 to 131, and didn't need a key to get in.

It was all very confusing to wake up from hearing the front door opening and someone stumbling into the bathroom.

All sorted now, though.

Weirdest thing, I tell you....

Archonic Energy
2009-08-09, 08:07 AM
Funniest and most surreal thing just happened.
It's now 3.35am UK time, and a strange and very confused man just got into the hotel room and didn't know how he got here.
Somehow, he got from room 133 to 131, and didn't need a key to get in.

It was all very confusing to wake up from hearing the front door opening and someone stumbling into the bathroom.

All sorted now, though.

Weirdest thing, I tell you....

i tell you there's something cursed about the Hotels chosen for UKitP meets.

Fire alarms, Nearly naked men, free coffee*, the WiFi being down...

it's always something!

oh and Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
and Glug, Master Meet Organiser & DM

See you all @ christmas...
IN LONDON
*note free coffee is BAD when you drink 16 cups!

Eldpollard
2009-08-09, 10:03 AM
And for your viewing pleasure I present the photos of the meet up. Only four of them, but we do have a group one. http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u229/eldpollard/GitP%20meet%20up%202009/

paddyfool
2009-08-09, 10:45 AM
Hey. Grand to see everyone yesterday, and I hope the action continued well. See you next time!