PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Board/Card Games

Xcentrikz
2009-05-23, 09:13 AM
Hey all!
What are your ideas on the best board and card games out there?
Particularly, ones that are D&D or role playing themed? Just looking to hear what everyone else thinks is great.

Eldan
2009-05-23, 09:24 AM
Munchkin is pretty great. I have three out of four or five sets so far, and it's a lot of fun if you can get a handful of nerds together to play. :smallwink:
There's also approximately 500 spin-offs into other genres, but I still think the core fantasy sets are the greatest.

Llama231
2009-05-23, 09:54 AM
I find Apples to Apples quite amusing.

Berserk Monk
2009-05-23, 09:54 AM
card game: Munchkin
board game: chess

arguskos
2009-05-23, 10:13 AM
Board Game: Starcraft the Board Game (with expansion).
Card Game: Well, I am partial to Magic: the Gather, but I think this isn't what you mean, so I'll toss Apples to Apples out there. :smallbiggrin:

TheThan
2009-05-23, 11:18 AM
Right now, these are favorite board and card games:

Decent: Journeys in the Dark
Twilight Imperium
Tide of Iron
TANNHÄUSER

Card games:
Magic: The Gathering

Naturally I’m willing to add new and interesting games to my current list.

raitalin
2009-05-23, 12:32 PM
I love board games. If I had to pick one favorite it'd be Axis and Allies, though its hard to find someone to play against me twice :smallamused:, but there are so many great ones:

Settlers of Catan/Cities and Knights/Seafarers
Power Grid
Ticket to Ride: Europe
Carcassone

...there's so many more. Never be afraid to try out a new board game. Just brace yourself if its got 200+ pieces.

As far as card games go I think M:TG is one of the most well-designed games ever, but due to the expense and its tendency to keep people from playing other games, I don't really play anymore (PM me to make an offer for my collection :wink:).

+1 to Munchkin, though I prefer the spin-offs. I just like the idea of Sci-fi+cthulhu or the Wild West+Vampires.

My favorite of the SJG card games however, is Illuminati. The humor's right up my alley and I love how free-form it is when it comes to player interaction. Plus it has rules for cheating, who doesn't love that? Unfortunately, much like A&A, I have a bad reputation as a ruthless player with it that keeps my friends from wanting to play.

RTGoodman
2009-05-23, 12:36 PM
Board Games: Diplomacy, Carcassone, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Trivial Pursuit (hey, it's a classic!)

Card Games: Magic, Munchkin

I also love Axis & Allies War at Sea, but it's more of a miniatures game than a board game.

Starscream
2009-05-23, 02:04 PM
Love Munchkin. Played Magic the Gathering in middle school, back when it first became popular. Haven't touched it in years, but I still remember it as fun.

As for board games, chess is fun. So is Thud.

Corlindale
2009-05-23, 04:13 PM
Board Games:

Settlers is great fun, still not tired of it after countless games.

I tried Arkham Horror for the first time this week, and it seemed really great. I think it's the first time I've seen a boardgame that has the player's cooperating against the game; without having one player taking on a sort of "GM"-role. One wouldn't think it would work, but it does.

Cardgames:

Munchkin is classic, of course. I think I like the original game best, though I still haven't tried all the various iterations.

Fluxx is quite fun as well, though it may be a bit too random for some.

Finally, 1000 Blank White Cards (http://www.geocities.com/nconner23/bwcards.html) is completely and utterly awesome - depending on how creative/artistic your group is. Fun, but extremely chaotic.

chiasaur11
2009-05-23, 04:40 PM
Best card game ever?

Fizzbin. Obviously.

Lord Seth
2009-05-23, 04:56 PM
The top board game is Chess. It's entirely strategy-based (unless you count who gets white and who gets black, which is honestly pushing it), and despite being one of the most complicated games on the planet, takes a very short time to learn. The only real contender for this position I can think of offhand is Go.

averagejoe
2009-05-23, 05:32 PM
The top board game is Chess. It's entirely strategy-based (unless you count who gets white and who gets black, which is honestly pushing it), and despite being one of the most complicated games on the planet, takes a very short time to learn. The only real contender for this position I can think of offhand is Go.

You don't get a better Go player than you free with Vista. The same is not true of chess.

Just saying. :smalltongue:

Actually, both games are quite good, and I've loved chess all my life, but I like that Go has a very good system for handicapping a more experienced player so that both people have pretty even chances of wining regardless of skill level. Go also has a certain aesthetic that I quite like. I don't know any other game that has such simplicity of rules lead to such complex strategy; as a math guy this is a quality that quite appeals to me.

Favorite card game: poker, though munchkin is pretty cool. What can I say, I'm a fan of the classics.

Mando Knight
2009-05-23, 05:37 PM
You don't get a better Go player than you free with Vista. The same is not true of chess.

True. Blasted Chess Titans, bein' a cheating bastard (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheComputerIsACheatingBastard) and all...

Recaiden
2009-05-23, 06:03 PM
Apples to Apples
Munchkin
M:tg
Settlers/Catan
Outpost
Diplomacy
Chess

Athaniar
2009-05-23, 06:12 PM
Board Game: Chess, the original and best.
Card Game: I don't play card games, but I like collecting them. Magic is probably my favorite (and the original TCG, too, I have a thing for originals), but I don't really have to collect it, seeing as there is a gatherer. Thanks, Wizards, for making me save money I can spend on D&D books!

RTGoodman
2009-05-23, 09:04 PM
Fluxx is quite fun as well, though it may be a bit too random for some.

HOLY CRAP how did I forget Fluxx? :smallredface:

Probably one of the most fun games ever, and a really ingenious design. And that's not even mentioning the expansions/spin-offs - Zombie Fluxx is my personal favorite. :smallbiggrin:

Mr. Mud
2009-05-23, 09:14 PM
Me and a few friends (Ronsian actually, if any of you remember him) play this game called... Well it doesn't have a formal name really, but it's called: "9", "Tower", or "Castle"... You first have 3 cards dealt face down on the table, 3 on top of that, and 3 in your hand.... The object of the game is to rid oneself of all cards. Some cards are special bonuses when played... E.g. When a deuce is played, the stack resets... 3's are invisible. Anyone ever played anything like this?

:smallamused:.

EDIT: Ah yes, and Apples to Apples is a great game too... Literally, for all ages.

averagejoe
2009-05-23, 09:24 PM
Board Game: Chess, the original and best.
Card Game: I don't play card games, but I like collecting them. Magic is probably my favorite (and the original TCG, too, I have a thing for originals), but I don't really have to collect it, seeing as there is a gatherer. Thanks, Wizards, for making me save money I can spend on D&D books!

:smallconfused: Backgammon and checkers are both older.

Mando Knight
2009-05-23, 09:38 PM
Munchkin is classic, of course. I think I like the original game best, though I still haven't tried all the various iterations.

Or all of them put together. It would be awesome, although it would have a massive pair of decks...

...Or even just Munchkin Booty combined with Munchkin Fu. Super Munchkin yourself into becoming the Pirate-Ninja. Combine with Munchkin Bites and you can Half-Breed yourself as a Vampire Werewolf...

thegurullamen
2009-05-23, 10:05 PM
Settlers of Catan is pure and simple greatness, Carcassone is just as fun and while I haven't played it, I hear Twilight Imperium is fun, too.

Finn Solomon
2009-05-23, 11:01 PM
Illuminati and Burn In Hell are very fun to play.

Athaniar
2009-05-24, 06:53 AM
:smallconfused: Backgammon and checkers are both older.

Well, uuhm... Just wait here, OK.

*sounds of TARDIS dematerializing*

Dogmantra
2009-05-24, 08:17 AM
Anyone ever played anything like this?

Yeah, I call it 3 up 3 down.

The way we play it is a bit like Uno.

Linkavitch
2009-05-27, 12:11 PM
I like Risk. Either the old standard edition or LotR. They're both amazing. The new standard edition is kinda confusing, what with the oddly-made instructions manual to the new units to the capitals, it was just better the other way.

Joran
2009-05-27, 12:24 PM
Favorite card game: Race for the Galaxy: For those who like CCGs such as Magic: The Gathering, the mechanics of Race for the Galaxy are very similar without requiring any of the collecting. The game is short, about 30-40 minutes, endless replayable, and there are multiple strategies. It's a game about thinking on your feet and is a ton of fun.

Favorite Board Game: Ticket to Ride: America. Just for sheer simplicity, Ticket to Ride: America takes the cake. The rules are simple to explain and grasp and it's a generally enjoyable hour or so to while away the time.

snoopy13a
2009-05-27, 12:25 PM
Euchre is my favorite card game.

For board games, Candyland or Chutes and Ladders :smalltongue:

I like many different board games. I can't really pick just one.

chiasaur11
2009-05-27, 12:35 PM
Settlers of Catan is pure and simple greatness

Only played once, but I agree.

I won, despite several very basic blunders, by one point.

Shas aia Toriia
2009-05-27, 02:37 PM
Favourite Board Game: Risk. I love that - planning, building making and breaking alliances (mainly breaking). Favourite ever. The fact that I win nearly every game I play probably helps a bit too.

Favourite Card Game: Magic: the Gathering. Check out my thread in the Gaming section. :smallbiggrin: [/shameless self plug]

Cristo Meyers
2009-05-27, 02:43 PM
There was a game I played once last year, think it was called Curses!. You were dealt a curse card that you had to follow (everything from talking like Foghorn Leghorn to copying everything the guy to the right of you does to, and this was everyone's favorite, having to hold onto the card all the time). Great fun. There's something to be said about a game where two people have to copy each other completely all the way down to hopping up and down with their elbows locked in place and keeping both hands on a card held out in front of them (in this case, the two people were myself and Atreyu the Masked LLama :smallbiggrin:).

Mo_the_Hawked
2009-05-27, 10:32 PM
Euchre is my favorite card game.

I agree, one of the best card games.

As for board. Battletech, hands down. Clue is only one that gets close.

Satyr
2009-05-28, 01:47 AM
10 years or so ago, I played Settlers of Catan in the German championships. Wasn't even that bad in this competition, but since then, no one wants to play it with me anymore. I think I still love the game, but I haven't played it in years.
The associated card game is also great. I don't know if it was ever published anywhere outside of Germany.