PDA

View Full Version : 1.0-3.5 Where can I find more information about the dwarven and elven races/subraces?

newbDM
2009-05-23, 03:37 PM
This has been on my mind for the past few years.

Where can I find more information about the elf and dwarf subraces? Mainly the core ones found in the PHB and MMs.

I am guessing this information existed prior to 3.x, so WotC decided not to preprint it/go into detail again? Can anyone confirm or correct this?

My homebrewed campaign world deals heavily with the various dwarf and elf subraces, so I could use this information.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Rhiannon87
2009-05-23, 03:42 PM
What kind of information are you looking for? Social/cultural? Mechanics? All of the above?

Elves and dwarves are both discussed in the Races of... books (Dwarves are in Stone, Elves are in... Wild, I believe), but they don't get into the subraces and such. You might have to just invent stuff on your own, which is always fun, imo.

Optimystik
2009-05-23, 03:46 PM
Dwarves - Races of Stone
Elves - Races of the Wild

Also, remember that some subraces are unique to the Forgotten Realms setting, so you'd need Races of Faerun to read those.

newbDM
2009-05-23, 03:47 PM
What kind of information are you looking for? Social/cultural? Mechanics? All of the above?

Elves and dwarves are both discussed in the Races of... books (Dwarves are in Stone, Elves are in... Wild, I believe), but they don't get into the subraces and such. You might have to just invent stuff on your own, which is always fun, imo.

Mostly cultural and fluff. The mechanics are already in the MMs.

I figured the various subraces (Wild Elves, Grey Elves, etc) had been detailed in earlier editions. Was I incorrect?

And I knew about the Races of XXXX books, but they only detail the main races.

shadzar
2009-05-23, 03:47 PM
2e:
Complete book of Elves
Complete book of Dwarves
Drow of the Underdark

Which elves and dwarves are you looking for info on? Duegar, which dwarves?

Silvanesti, Kagonesti, Dark, High, Wood, Grey, Shadow, which elves?

Eldariel
2009-05-23, 03:53 PM
Which elves and dwarves are you looking for info on? Sverbfin(sp), Duegar, which dwarves?

Svirfneblin are Gnomes. Just btw.

shadzar
2009-05-23, 05:48 PM
Svirfneblin are Gnomes. Just btw.

:smallredface: They are all ugly little things, I just have my characters in the wrong folders, but I moved those gnomes back to their proper folders now.

What I get for checking characters rather than thinkg about what I am saying isn't it? :smallredface:

Tsotha-lanti
2009-05-23, 06:14 PM
For AD&D 2nd edition, Elves of Evermeet has a pile of information (and even goes into the whole problem of confusing and crossed-over elvish nomenclature). In 3.X, Races of Faerūn is pretty good for both.

Curmudgeon
2009-05-24, 06:26 AM
For D&D 3.5, start at the Master Player Race List Version 2.0 (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?p=10002276). All the races are in categories, including Dwarves and Elves.