PDA

View Full Version : The Hunt for Gollum

Trog
2009-05-23, 10:17 PM
A very well done (especially considering a budget of under $5,000) fan film in the style of the LotR films of Aragorn's capture of Gollum. Worth a watch. :smallbiggrin:

The Hunt for Gollum (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H09xnhlCQU)

Thormag
2009-05-23, 10:34 PM
There is/was an existing thread on the subject already (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110508). Try using the search function or view some pages before posting a new thread.

With that on the way, I thought the fanfilm was really good, maybe even great, considering the budget. The Aragorn actor was spot-on and the Gollum voice was very good. Had some issues with the Gandalf actor (his hair... ugh), but besides that, it was a very good film.

Trog
2009-05-23, 10:42 PM
I paged through the first two pages in media and saw nothing. :smallannoyed: Mods, feel free to eliminate this thread if need be.

RS14
2009-05-23, 10:54 PM
That thread was three weeks ago, and inactive.

I thought it was well done as well. The story could have been more fleshed out. It seemed like the orcs came out of nowhere, for no clear reason. Still, it was worth watching.

Zeta Kai
2009-05-24, 01:35 PM
It seemed like the orcs came out of nowhere, for no clear reason.

Orcs always come out of nowhere, for no clear reason. It's part of their schtick.

RS14
2009-05-24, 03:19 PM
Orcs always come out of nowhere, for no clear reason. It's part of their schtick.

The goblins of the Hobbit lived in the Misty Mountains. Others fought with the Dwarves to capture Moria, and remained their afterwards. Saruman sent Uruk-hai and other goblins to capture the hobbits and to retrieving the ring. In Gondor, they are Sauron's troops, and guard Mordor. The orcs of Hunt for Gollum simply seemed out of place. They were far from their allies, apparently hunting for Gollum. Then why was he ever released to begin with?

Hallavast
2009-05-25, 12:40 PM
This is a nice little gem. It's clearly fanmade, and I won't fault it for that.

For the most part, it follows the style of Jackson's films, and shares a similar feel to them. The movie isn't really original in this regard as it is borderline derivative of its mainstream predecessors.

The dialogue could be written better, but each character is clearly recognizable, and it makes the plot easy to follow for the most part.

The action sequences are very well done, but again, even these follow the trends set down by the mainstream films.

I agree that the big fight scene near the end of the film seems a bit contrived and out of place, and it would have made much more sense for Aragorn to face a different climactic challenge.

In short, it is a well made but unoriginal short film about well known, well loved source material. With some refinement, some more experience on the writing team, and a tad larger budget, it could be expanded and made into a good TV series that would be at least as good as the old Herc and Xena shows. =)

Narmoth
2009-05-25, 12:46 PM
The orcs of Hunt for Gollum simply seemed out of place. They were far from their allies, apparently hunting for Gollum. Then why was he ever released to begin with?

Ehm... in the book, Gandalf adresses that.