PDA

View Full Version : Computer sound problems

Serpentine
2009-05-23, 11:20 PM
I'm sure I've posted a thread about this before... Oh well.

So. I've been letting a new housemate use my computer. Normally, I have the computer volume settings all most or all the way up all the time, and use the program volume control (say, the Media Player or Youtube ones) and speaker volume knob (rarely over about half-way) to change the volume. After my housemate has used it, I've found the computer volume right down and the speaker volume all the way up. The latter I keep not noticing until after I've fixed the former, but rather than have my eardrums blown out, there's just been silence. The first time that happened, it was fine within a few minutes (or more specifically, when someone else messed around with my computer). The second time, the sound didn't come back. It still hasn't.
I've fiddled with the cords, checked all the volume settings I can think of, wiggled the knobs... Still no sound. There is a slight buzzing noise coming from the speakers, and the... whatever the main box thing of the speakers is called vibrates a bit, but there's just no sound.
Anyone know what's wrong and how I can fix it? :smallfrown:

afroakuma
2009-05-23, 11:22 PM
When it happens to me, it's usually a loose connection at the back of the speaker. Keep them on and wiggle the linking cords around, see if the buzzing goes off. Run a music file while doing so - if it works, the sound will cut back on.

Serpentine
2009-05-23, 11:27 PM
Riiiiiight... I don't know how it happened, but apparently I had the speakers plugged into the wrong jack :smalleek: :smallredface: Must've happened when... Uh... I dunno. Anyway, I wouldn't've figured it out if you hadn't told me to wiggle the plugs, Afro. Thanks for your help :smallsmile:

>wallows in sound ^_^<

Thanatos 51-50
2009-05-24, 03:18 AM
Hee.

Wallowing in sound. You make it sound like torture, and yet the smiley.

Vizen
2009-05-24, 03:28 AM
My computer sound problem now? :smallsmile:

There's nothing wrong with volume control, and I have things plugged into the right place...However, sometimes when im playing my music or something with sound and I scroll down a page, or there's some flash thing moving on the screen, you know, something along those lines, I hear static, and lots of it, until the movement has stopped. Then sometimes there's just plain no sound at all.
I think my problem might be driver/card related, but im just too lazy to do any research into the matter.

golentan
2009-05-24, 03:31 AM
Hee.

Wallowing in sound. You make it sound like torture, and yet the smiley.

I always thought of wallowing as happy. Have you seen pigs wallow?

And wallowing in self-pity implied you were enjoying it too much. At least sound's back up, right?

afroakuma
2009-05-24, 10:28 AM
Riiiiiight... I don't know how it happened, but apparently I had the speakers plugged into the wrong jack :smalleek: :smallredface: Must've happened when... Uh... I dunno. Anyway, I wouldn't've figured it out if you hadn't told me to wiggle the plugs, Afro. Thanks for your help :smallsmile:

Ahh, no problem. Happy to help. :smallbiggrin:

>wallows in sound ^_^<

Well, I mean, if you're going to wallow, may as well be in something that doesn't stain, right?

randman22222
2009-05-24, 12:17 PM

>wallows in sound ^_^<

Heeheehee, my brother once did the same. He plugged his microphone into his speaker jack. Thing is, none of my family checked for that sort of mistake for about three weeks when trying to fix it, so it took a while before we could. :smallredface:

MethosH
2009-05-24, 11:30 PM
My computer sound problem now? :smallsmile:

There's nothing wrong with volume control, and I have things plugged into the right place...However, sometimes when im playing my music or something with sound and I scroll down a page, or there's some flash thing moving on the screen, you know, something along those lines, I hear static, and lots of it, until the movement has stopped. Then sometimes there's just plain no sound at all.
I think my problem might be driver/card related, but im just too lazy to do any research into the matter.

Yeah... I can't really think of anything that matches that crazy description you gave us... But have you consider checking the sound hardware acceleration?

afroakuma
2009-05-24, 11:41 PM
Vizen: On my old computer I had that exact problem. It's processing/card-related, from what I understand. The same way graphics begin fragmenting, artifacting etc. when too much is going on, your computer translates graphical movement into resource diversion, effectively turning every move you make into static sounds.

Vizen
2009-05-25, 12:47 AM
I see...And how do I fix it? Use easy-to-follow steps. I'm rather illiterate when it comes to the insides of a computer. :smallfrown:

Though I suppose I could always wait until I get a new PC. I'm planning on getting one soon, I just don't have the time to take someone who knows what specs are good for me along.