PDA

View Full Version : Ok crazy idea for a pc

Demons_eye
2009-05-24, 02:04 AM
An awakened dire wolf (or wolf) with the Monster of Legend Template.

But......

How the *&%$ do you find the LA on it? Thanks if you can tell me

KjeldorMage
2009-05-24, 07:13 AM
Maybe the soul of a fighter fused into a dire wolf to continue to serve the fighter's master for as long as he can keep getting dire wolves?

Eh eh?

arguskos
2009-05-24, 07:28 AM
Take the HD of a dire wolf, and to that number add the LA for the Awakened and Monster of Legend tempates? If they don't have a listed LA, ask your DM. I think that +1 for Awakened and maybe +3-5 for MoL seems reasonable, but that's my guess when away from books.

derfenrirwolv
2009-05-24, 07:29 AM
Playing my namesake huh?

Wheres the monster of legend template from?

Demons_eye
2009-05-24, 08:49 AM
MoL is found in MM2. Thanks so far guys.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-05-24, 12:46 PM
MoL is the best, freakin template that exists. I use it on 90% of my high level monster NPCs.

The LA should be....like...um...around +5. The best use for it is on a DMM cleric, IMHO. Get spellcasting and you get 5 free spellcasting levels and a couple of free domains. You also get unholy ability scores, bonus feats, continous spell turning...fun fun fun...

[/tangent]

HeavySleeper
2009-05-24, 12:57 PM
The update/errata to the MM2 lists Monster of Legend as LA +7.

Devils_Advocate
2009-05-24, 01:10 PM
Note that Lycanthrope is also a template that works with a base animal. It has an LA of +3. I find that when you turn Awakened into a template, it's sufficiently worse than Lycanthrope to be LA +0. (Remember, with Awakened, you don't get any of the racial traits of humanoid race.) You "pay" enough by having to take racial hit dice -- including an extra two from being awakened -- that there's no need to charge more.

That's for Tiny to Large animals, though. Extreme sizes might warrant a level adjustment.

Monster of Legend, though... normally I'd say that the LA increase should be around the CR increase, but MoL is clearly way under-CRed. (It seems that some designers think that particular monsters should be tough fights, instead of letting the DM choose which monster to make a tough fight by using it when the party's level is significantly below its CR.) It definitely shouldn't be any less than LA +5 since it potentially gives 5 levels of cleric casting along with some other very potent stuff. I guess the question is how much better the other stuff is than 5 cleric hit dice. I'd call it... LA +8 or 9, maybe?

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-05-24, 01:12 PM
Monster of Legend was not meant for a PC or animal companion/mount/etc, that is why there is no LA listing. It's CR increase is any indication, you would be looking at a 5-7 LA, at that point it is a waste of effort.

Demons_eye
2009-05-24, 01:22 PM
So a MoL Tiger Lycanthrope is about LA 8-10? Is that even legit?

Monster of Legend was not meant for a PC or animal companion/mount/etc...

Bet they didnt intend for some one to make pun pun but eh.

Devils_Advocate
2009-05-24, 03:07 PM
So a MoL Tiger Lycanthrope is about LA 8-10? Is that even legit?
Evidently it's LA +9 (afflicted) or +10 (natural). However, remember that racial hit dice are not included in level adjustment. A weretiger has 6 RHD, so that's an ECL of 15 or 16 before you even add any class levels.