PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Overlordsish

Collin152
2009-05-25, 06:18 PM
Well, I'm having one of those megalomanical days again, where I just feel like being an evil mastermind. Not so much for the power and controlling the world, but to oversee a supervillainy lair. Have a wall full of screens, set up a system for my henchmen patrols to ensure maximum security, walking dramatically down chrome hallways...

And I havn't even been reading TVTropes or the Evil Overlord List today!

But I'm curious if anyone has any ways I can indulge my urge to be a malevolent manipulator without having billions of dollars and committing crimes? Like, perhaps some suitable game, of some kind, or some other interesting literature besides the aforementioned list?

And if you don't have anything to contribute directly to me, here's discussion fodder:
How would you do it? Running your lair, managing your Leigions of Terror, or what have you? I'm curious about that, too, and reading it might count as being part of the prior request.

So yeah.

LXH
2009-05-25, 06:22 PM
Just make sure you include a weather dominator (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzrd6eVAsjA) of some kind and you'll be alright.

GoC
2009-05-25, 06:24 PM
Dwarf Fortress.
Some suitable 4X game where you're an emperor.

chiasaur11
2009-05-25, 07:07 PM
Wasn't there a videogame where you play as, basically, a Bond villain?

Can't remember the name right now, mind, but I'm sure it exists.

DamnedIrishman
2009-05-25, 07:09 PM
Dungeon Keeper and Dungeon Keeper II

Pro: Actually, quite enjoyable games.

Canadian
2009-05-25, 07:11 PM
Watch Martha Stewart.

chiasaur11
2009-05-25, 07:12 PM

Not what I was thinking of.

One I had in mind was full on Bond-y, with the whole 60s aesthetic, etc.

Just found it. Computer game called "Evil Genius". Seems decent.

DamnedIrishman
2009-05-25, 07:14 PM
Not what I was thinking of.

One I had in mind was full on Bond-y, with the whole 60s aesthetic, etc.

Get a pet cat, dig a cellar and have some friends over, preferably with a mild domination fetish

LXH
2009-05-25, 07:17 PM
Get a pet cat, dig a cellar and have some friends over, preferably with a mild weather domination fetish
Fixed.

:smallmad:

Vizen
2009-05-25, 07:18 PM

Dungeon Keeper is my ALL TIME FAVORITE GAME. +2 to you for referencing it!

Em Blackleaf
2009-05-25, 07:18 PM
You could play with ants and a magnifying glass.

Dogmantra
2009-05-25, 07:26 PM
Alright. Find a long sleeved jumper/coat/t-shirt/whatever. Tie the sleeves around your neck, and let the body drape down your back. Now you have a cape. Next you need a moustache to twirl. This is easy if you actually have one already, but if you don't, find a cat or dog, cut some of its fur off and sellotape it to your upper lip. Finally, you need to practice your evil laughter:
"MUAHAHAHAHAHA"

Now you are an overlord, for the cost of:
1 T-Shirt
2 Your pet hating you
3 Looking like an idiot

Arachu
2009-05-25, 08:38 PM
Sit in your favorite chair, with both of your hands on both arms (one each), and smirk all self-assuredly

Alternatively, **** off an alien and call yourself Lex Luthor :smalltongue:

... Actually, the game Overlord (I wonder where I got that name? :smalltongue:) gives you a general feeling of power (at least, until the desert level :smalleek:)

Don't play with ants and a magnifying glass; play with ants and a candle-lighter :belkar:
(Just kidding. You'll be lucky not to burn the counter :smallsmile:)

LXH
2009-05-25, 08:40 PM
Won't someone think of the ants? :smallfrown:

Arachu
2009-05-25, 08:42 PM
... Make it rain ants! :xykon:

MethosH
2009-05-25, 10:06 PM
Ok.... So how about... Overlord (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overlord_(2007_video_game))? :smalltongue:

Chameon
2009-05-26, 01:57 AM
There's always the tried and true method of convincing someone they've done something horrible by using words just beyond their grasp with a tone that sounds vaguely bad. I find that tends to result in confused, depressed looks that I believe work as a great substitute for the minion glance, and can allow weak (legal) blackmailing if done cleverly.

*Thinks for a second*
Err...I SAID NOTHING. I DIDN'T JUST GIVE AWAY ONE OF MY TRICKS THAT I USE NORMALLY!!!

Rhydeble
2009-05-26, 02:05 AM
If you're just looking for some world conquering, you might want to check out this (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/463278) newgrounds game

Castaras
2009-05-26, 03:03 AM

Bump for that!

Elm11
2009-05-26, 03:33 AM
[QUOTE=Arachu;6155522]Actually, the game Overlord (I wonder where I got that name? :smalltongue:) gives you a general feeling of power (at least, until the desert level :smalleek:)
[QUOTE]

Ugh, such an epic game, but the desert level sucked supremely. Took like 8 goes to get it, becuase the massive sand monster kept eating all my minions :smallfrown:

kpenguin
2009-05-26, 03:40 AM
Listen to some Jonathan Coulton, preferably Future Soon or Skullcrusher Mountain.

Bouregard
2009-05-26, 03:45 AM
Play the game Evil Genius. (Yes it'S EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT) Oh and you are not the only one, my bed and desk are turned so that I always see the door, to spot the occasional spy. Mhm but I still have to get suspected for terrible crimes for a visit of Mr. Bond.

Hint, get a good big chair that can turn, with leather. Prepare a speech to the world oh and get a kitten (stuffed preferable, you didn't want your speech foiled by the cat)

Next part on the list: more screens, and jumpsuits for my minions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTeaPcsRt9A (cool Trailer)

and that plays is I start up my PC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqNs7APC6A8&feature=related

Arachu
2009-05-26, 06:17 AM
Who needs a kitten when you can have a tiger? :smallbiggrin:

It's both a friend to you and a guard!

... Train tiger-riding ants.

Eldan
2009-05-26, 06:44 AM
Actually, one of the main reasons for me to get a Master's Degree was so that I could walk up to people and say:
"BOW BEFORE THE MASTER!"

Then apologize and explain I just got my degree.

Probably, I also won't do it. I'm a coward.

But I might start a thread with that title when it comes up.

Trazoi
2009-05-26, 06:50 AM
I don't particularly want to be an Overlord. But I do want a table that, when you press a secret button, the center section swivels around and then projects a 3D hologram of the Earth.

Also @Eldan: Bow before the Master! Heh heh heh.

(Hopefully you can call me "The Doctor" soon.)

loopy
2009-05-26, 07:25 AM
Practice your evil singing?

Look at these people
Amazing how sheep'll
Line up for the slaughter

Theres no one condemning
You line up like lemmings
Your led to the water

Why can't they see / Why can't they hear the lies
Maybe the fee’s too pricey for them to realize
Your disguise is slipping, I think you’re slipping

Now that your savior’s
as still as the grave you’re
beginning to fear me

Like cavemen fear thunder
I still have to wonder
Can you really hear me

I bring you pain, the kind you can’t suffer quietly
Fire up your brain remind you inside you’re rioting
Society is slipping, everything's slipping away, so...

DamnedIrishman
2009-05-26, 07:35 AM
(Hopefully you can call me "The Doctor" soon.)

Nah, to get real enjoyment out of PhDs or MDs you need to get two of them (or one of each), so you can have people call you Doctor Doctor...

Give me the cure, I've got a... BAD CASE OF LOVIN' YOU!

InaVegt
2009-05-26, 08:13 AM
Nah, to get real enjoyment out of PhDs or MDs you need to get two of them (or one of each), so you can have people call you Doctor Doctor...

Give me the cure, I've got a... BAD CASE OF LOVIN' YOU!

I'm going for Prof. Dr. Ir. MEng. Ina van der Vegt

(Proffessor, Doctor, Ingenieur, Master of Engineering)

loopy
2009-05-26, 08:46 AM
I'm going for Prof. Dr. Ir. MEng. Ina van der Vegt

(Proffessor, Doctor, Ingenieur, Master of Engineering)

See if you could work an "Esquire" or "Comte de" in there somewhere.

chiasaur11
2009-05-26, 01:30 PM
Actually, one of the main reasons for me to get a Master's Degree was so that I could walk up to people and say:
"BOW BEFORE THE MASTER!"

Then apologize and explain I just got my degree.

Probably, I also won't do it. I'm a coward.

But I might start a thread with that title when it comes up.

Chicken.

Koo-Koo-Ka-Chaw!

Koo-Koo-Ka-Chaw!

thubby
2009-05-26, 01:45 PM
destroy your rank in some game at which you have skill and kill everything in your path on the way back up.

go raid goldshire/crossroads

become a left lane nazi, add evil laughter to taste.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-05-26, 02:05 PM
Peruse this (http://www.hardenedstructures.com/2050727/default.aspx) website, then get out pencil and graph paper and design your lair.

Ripped Shirt Kirk
2009-05-28, 02:47 AM
There is literally a game, called Overlord, where you play as an evil overlord and you have minions you control (?) I am currently downloading the game right now, here is a link where you can buy it.
http://www.amazon.com/Overlord-2-Xbox-360/dp/B001P2M532/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1243496875&sr=8-2 Overlord (2)

http://www.amazon.com/Overlord-Pc/dp/B000R2USRG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1243496875&sr=8-3 Overlord (1)