PDA

View Full Version : Reaching goals

MethosH
2009-05-25, 10:45 PM
So... Lately in my life I've been planning for the future, but not really the immediate future... I've been planning for things that I want to happen 10 years from now... maybe 20.

The thing is, I've established some goals in my life and I'm doing what I can to reach them. Trying to figure out possible paths... Reading about people that actually manged to reach them and how they got there... Studying and working.. etc.

My point is, fellow playgrounders, how many of you plan that far? What are you doing tor reach those goals?

Rutskarn
2009-05-25, 10:47 PM
I've got a sort of nebulous, wide goal that encompasses everything I want out of life. It basically involves making stories, and having people read them and know that I wrote them.

Technically, I'm already there, so I'm really moving step-by-step in making the stories better and the audience bigger.

And, yeah. That's pretty much it, as far as goals go.

THAC0
2009-05-25, 11:03 PM
I have goals that obviously get vaguer the farther out you go. Mine are particularly vague beyond the.. two year mark, since my husband's job could take several turns.

I've accomplished a lot of my short term goals over the past year, particularly on the job front and becoming more self confident and independent.

Trizap
2009-05-25, 11:04 PM
I'm already writing trying to write my first book, and I only have six-seven years to finish it before I need to get a job, and I'm working on the plots for all the other books I'm going to write, plus all the background information on the setting which my books take place, yes I plan that far in advance

Icewalker
2009-05-25, 11:10 PM
Oooh...

Well, I've been kind of thrown off on this subject, and considering it quite a lot. On the grounds that, assuming we play our cards right and technology keeps developing, this generation may well be immortal, thanks to the Upload. As such, I've been trying to reconcile the idea of a 'life's goal' when the time limit of biological lifespan is removed. It makes things a lot more complicated.

Basically, my goal and method in life: to understand and expand the human body of knowledge. Both scientifically and artistically. Learn, research, discover new aspects of reality and science, create, write, and invent. A path which spans the length of reality.

Pyrian
2009-05-25, 11:56 PM
I can only laugh at the goals I wanted to accomplish ten and twenty years ago, so I'm not guessing that life is going to be too cooperative about my goals for the next ten or twenty. :smalltongue: If I can accomplish my specific goals for the next two months I'll be quite happy, frankly. :smallcool:

averagejoe
2009-05-26, 12:30 AM
I just (a few days ago) finished getting my college degree. People keep asking me what I'm going to do now; I don't have any answer except, "I dunno," and a few vague notions. Even ending up at the college where I ended up and getting the degree that I did were because these things just seemed like a good idea when it came time to decide.

I really don't have any long term goals except "staying alive."

potatocubed
2009-05-26, 01:51 AM
I'm with Pyrian. I've found that life events tend to ruin any long-term plans I make and simultaneously provide me with far better opportunities than I could create for myself.

That said, I would like to become a published novelist. The first step is to finish a story that I'm happy with...

Erothayce
2009-05-26, 02:06 AM
I'm 19 right now almost 20, my plans right now consist of riding my bike, chilling with friends and searching for a job. i much prefer a day to day existence over trying to plan for something 20 years down the road when who knows what can happen. i had a friend who had planned out the next 20 years of his life in the military, how he would spend his salary, and what he would do when he got out. He spent a good deal of time on making this plan and he would talk about it constantly. Turns out he couldn't get in because of medical issues so now he's kind of just drifting in community college not knowing what to do with his life. So I don't personally see a point in making plans when they can easily be broken.

Quincunx
2009-05-26, 04:18 AM
I think most of us Americans know "that kid" or someone like him, Erothayce. Some of them drift into the stability of government jobs, others short-circuit the military phase and tread the career paths of departing military members, but the rest. . .Drifters, yes. They don't even have the comfort of Langston Hughes giving them a voice; their dream is dead, not deferred.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-05-26, 01:26 PM
I have plans going about 8 years when it comes to my education, but... Well, I revise them every year or so. And it doesn't apply to my life.

thubby
2009-05-26, 01:47 PM
from everything I've heard no plan that long is going to hold.

personally, i just plan 1 step ahead. i was in highschool and figured out where i wanted to go college. I'm in college and I'm picking a career. and so on.

Blackjackg
2009-05-26, 02:41 PM
I have two major goals in life at this point:

1) Finish grad school and start a career. The "finish grad school" part will take me another three, maybe four years, and there's not much point planning beyond that at this point. Plan = 3 years ahead.

2) Find a committed life partner and start a family. Obviously, this is an area where it's tough to make definite plans. There were a couple of times in my life that I thought I had this one nailed down, but every now and then they'll pull the rug out from under your feet. So I just keep this one in the back of my mind and watch for the the right person. Plan = ?? years ahead.

So no, I guess I'm not at the twenty-year plan at this point. I'm down to a three-year plan. Two years ago it was a five-year plan... that might be worth something.