PDA

View Full Version : Nickelback

Job
2009-05-26, 05:20 AM
So here's the deal,

I'm not a big consumer of music, if I'm listening to something it's most likely an old classical or rock CD I've ripped to my computer, or news/talk-radio. I only have casual contact with new bands and on occasion purchase single that I like or have been recommended to me by a friend. If nothing else this gives me a wide range of music, if not a great volume.

I've recently become aware that Nickelback, whom I am only vaguely familiar with, is frequently the butt of the joke, and at worst likened to an auditory abortion.

What specifically about the music makes them so apparently offensive to so many individuals? Or is it rather, something about the behavior of the band?

Starscream
2009-05-26, 06:04 AM
I am also not a huge listener of music right now, but I've heard some of their stuff and as far as I can tell the problem is that they are both:

a) Not very good. The hit song Rock Star is particularly despised.
b) Extremely popular. So much so that everything on the radio is starting to sound very similar.

Thus Nickleback is blamed for starting and being the definitive example of a lousy trend. Sort of like a musical Rob Liefeld.

Lorn
2009-05-26, 06:13 AM
They aren't exactly amazing, but they have somehow managed to set a trend for rock music.

This is due to them being overplayed to the point of madness.

The fact that they're overplayed so much is half my problem with them - I've heard enough of the guy's voice now, please turn it off. Especially when it is singing Rockstar.

xPANCAKEx
2009-05-26, 11:53 AM
They're average at best

They're so average that they become bland - and i think thats the reason people take offense. Its music thats so innoffensive to the extreme its hard to see any reason why people would ever take any joy from it, let alone excitement enough to propel them to the popularity they have attained...

And thats why people despise them - they're not original. Not new. Not exciting. And yet they have masses of fans going on about them like they're the best thing since sliced bread.

that and they seem to lack lyrical any sincerity

me personally, i think they're as dull as ditchwater, but rather than getting angered by them, i chose to spend my time listening to music i can give a damn about

Athaniar
2009-05-26, 02:20 PM
I don't think I've heard anything by them except for Rockstar, but that one's in my music top 10, definitely (no, seriously, I have a music top 10. And a music top 10 top 3. Don't laugh).

mangosta71
2009-05-26, 02:23 PM
Thus Nickleback is blamed for starting and being the definitive example of a lousy trend. Sort of like a musical Rob Liefeld.

Nickelback is continuing a trend that's been around for at least 15 years though. I suppose most of you guys are too young to remember Pearl Jam.

Whoracle
2009-05-26, 02:24 PM
I wonder qwhy nobody has posted this (http://archive.wfmu.org:5555/archive/BL/BL_Nickelback_-_nickelbackthing.mp3) yet. Just listen to the mp3, and you'll see that one nickelback song comes from the left speaker and the other one from the right, and they're almost exactly the same!

Talk about rip-off...

Innis Cabal
2009-05-26, 02:43 PM
I wonder qwhy nobody has posted this (http://archive.wfmu.org:5555/archive/BL/BL_Nickelback_-_nickelbackthing.mp3) yet. Just listen to the mp3, and you'll see that one nickelback song comes from the left speaker and the other one from the right, and they're almost exactly the same!

Talk about rip-off...

If you needed that to show you that almost all their songs sound the same there's no hope for you....

They're trash, pure and simple

Whoracle
2009-05-26, 02:46 PM
If you needed that to show you that almost all their songs sound the same there's no hope for you....[...]

I knew that beforehand, but this proves that the songs ARE the same; bar a 6.21 second delay in the beginning and a slight difference in when the distortion kicks in.
They're identical. Really.

SurlySeraph
2009-05-26, 03:23 PM
Nickelback's songs all sound the same, but at least they don't sound completely godawful. Bands like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO-XLQouIn0) or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTAAYfGs2ZQ) are what people should really hate.

F.H. Zebedee
2009-05-26, 03:34 PM
Nickelback had POTENTIAL, but the totally squandered it all. Right after The State, they stopped innovating, kicked into cruise control, and haven't done anything really great since, as far as I know.

Pity, since Old Enough is actually one of my favorite songs.

Athaniar
2009-05-26, 03:45 PM
What, nobody else thinks Rockstar is a great song? I don't want to be alone again...

Starscream
2009-05-26, 03:49 PM
Nickelback is continuing a trend that's been around for at least 15 years though. I suppose most of you guys are too young to remember Pearl Jam.

I am 24 and remember them well, but grunge was a fairly new thing when they were doing it. They weren't great, but at least they were mostly original. And their songs sound nowhere near as identical to each other as Nickleback's do.

Erothayce
2009-05-26, 03:52 PM
I personally despise them for continuing the trend of terrible music started by nirvana. they sound just like every other band on the radio right now which is depressing.

Haruki-kun
2009-05-26, 03:58 PM

Talk about rip-off...

I'd seen something like that on another site, but this one seems weird.... I can barely hear the right speaker...

Seraph
2009-05-26, 04:10 PM

Talk about rip-off...

if that's the same link I remember it was debunked as a hoax, as since the music plays on both speakers it becomes difficult to tell how the site maker/troll cut the songs up and rearranged them for his own amusement.

not that I'm defending nickelback, but if you're going to criticize someone then have the dignity to not falsify evidence.

Erothayce
2009-05-26, 04:19 PM
I've heard both of those songs separately as my mom is a big fan of them and they do sound almost the same.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-05-26, 05:26 PM
People hate Nickelback because they are talentless hack millionaires, while actual good bands struggle on in obscurity. Though I did like "Rockstar", primarily for the humorous lyrics.

Are any of you familiar with the incident in which Nickelback was pelted with batteries at one of their shows?

Cristo Meyers
2009-05-26, 06:08 PM
Nickelback had POTENTIAL, but the totally squandered it all. Right after The State, they stopped innovating, kicked into cruise control, and haven't done anything really great since, as far as I know.

Pretty much what I was going to say. We started with The State, debut album from a somewhat decent and unknown band. Most of us either heard Breathe or Leader of Men (which, in my opinion, are really the only two songs on that album worth a damn). They were ok songs, but in all honesty should have just been swallowed up by the popularity of other bands of the time like 3 Doors Down's Kryptonite and Tantric's Breakdown. Nickelback should have been a one hit wonder, and really they almost were. Eventually both Breathe and Leader of Men faded from the radio.

But then Silver Side Up came out, and with it came How You Remind Me.

I'll be the first to admit I enjoy the song, but that doesn't change the fact that it is the exact type of song that pretty much made their fanbase: a simple, fairly bland (though not nearly as bland as what would come later), love song (even though it's about a break-up). Say hello to mass market appeal. The sad part is that Silver Side Up is probably their best album, at least in terms of songs that are halfway decent.

Their string of hits just got worse from there: from Breathe to How You Remind Me, then came Someday and Photograph, and now its two other songs that I can't remember the name of, which is somewhat sad because I have both of them. They've Flanderized themselves, and to make matters worse they keep coming out with "harder" songs as if they're trying to remind us that they started out as a rock band (I'm looking at you, Animals...:smallyuk:)

I still check out their albums on Amazon from time to time, seeing what's good enough for me, but it rarely amounts to more than two or three songs.

Gaelbert
2009-05-26, 09:29 PM
Nickelback's songs all sound the same, but at least they don't sound completely godawful. Bands like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO-XLQouIn0) or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTAAYfGs2ZQ) are what people should really hate.

Honestly, I didn't think the second one was terribly bad. You want bad, search Celine Dion covering You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC. It's a travesty.

Rutskarn
2009-05-26, 10:53 PM
In a recent Nickelback interview, they stated that they wanted people to "stop playing Guitar Hero," because they thought it would impinge on the number of guitar players in the future.

My four-point counterargument:

1.) Screw you, Nickelback.

2.) It won't cut back on the number of true artists, but it might cut down on the number of swollen-egoed posers who are in it for the glamor of, "Like, being a rock star, man!"

3.) And what of people like me, who are choosing between (rarely, in my case) playing Guitar Hero and...not playing guitar, because I have no interest in it?

4.) Screw you, Nickelback.

Innis Cabal
2009-05-26, 11:00 PM
In a recent Nickelback interview, they stated that they wanted people to "stop playing Guitar Hero," because they thought it would impinge on the number of guitar players in the future.

My four-point counterargument:

1.) Screw you, Nickelback.

2.) It won't cut back on the number of true artists, but it might cut down on the number of swollen-egoed posers who are in it for the glamor of, "Like, being a rock star, man!"

3.) And what of people like me, who are choosing between (rarely, in my case) playing Guitar Hero and...not playing guitar, because I have no interest in it?

4.) Screw you, Nickelback.

We may not agree on everything. But i'm with you here. The music industry needs to remove the....donkey sized #$%$ out of their behind....

warty goblin
2009-05-26, 11:41 PM
Honestly this phenomenon has always puzzled me as well. Sure Nickelback isn't great, and is possibly overplayed. On the other hand, their lead singer can actually, you know, sing, the vocals and the backup don't end up going in completely opposite directions at random moments, and their lyrics aren't noticably worse than 90% of the other stuff out there. Not great, but not terrible.

Now why people listen to anything by Rihanna* or the Jonas Brothers, which fail at least one of the above competancy tests, that baffles me.

*Seriously, Unfaithful is like what happens when a perfectly good piano ballad is murdered with an industrial strength sieve, resurrected, murdered again, and then sung by a person with only a vague notion of where the notes are and how to hold them. At this point in time I'm all for the U.S. Army launching a forceful takeover of the music industry to prevent further crimes against humanity like this from ever occuring.

ghost_warlock
2009-05-27, 12:10 AM

Pretty much what I was going to say. We started with The State, debut album from a somewhat decent and unknown band.

Actually, their debut album was Curb (I don't consider a 7-song EP to be a debut album). It was...okay. Not very refined but, like Zebedee said, it had potential. Four years later, they released The State, which showed improvement. I remember really loving the video for Leader of Men.

And then, the next year, along came Silver Side Up. A couple good songs but nothing supremely notworthy. Except that someone, somewhere decided they really liked How You Remind Me and started playing it incessantly, which somehow caught on elsewhere to the point where I honestly can't stand the song anymore. Two years later came The Long Road. Once again, a couple good songs, particularly Someday (which, I admit, part of the appeal that song has for me is due to personal significance) and Do This Anymore. Anyone else remember the controversy surrounding one of the songs, I think it was Figured You Out, and the allegations of Kroeger's misogyny?

Their 2005 album, All the Right Reasons, is where they actually tanked, imo. There were signs of it earlier, but that album seems to be nothing but the bland, soulless and thoughtless, radio hits we've all come to hate as representations of the band.

Philistine
2009-05-27, 01:12 AM
As I recall, the lyrics to "Figured You Out" were kind of... horrific. Likewise "Something In Your Mouth," or whatever that one is called, and "Animals" arguably fits into this mold as well. It's certainly possible that, like "Rock Star,"* these songs are meant to be tongue-in-cheek; but still, ick.

* Amusing, though I still prefer Dr. Hook's "Cover of the Rolling Stone."

Vella_Malachite
2009-05-27, 01:22 AM
Hmm. I agree, if you listen to a lot of their stuff, it all starts to sound the same after a while. I can see why the hatedom exists.

However, I actually enjoy their music. I have a selection of their songs which are different from each other, and I like the tunes and the lyrics. That's not to say I think they are teh bestest bands evar !!one!1!, but I enjoy listening to them.

Can anyone tell me some good songs from their early albums? I've only really got their new stuff so far, so I'm curious as to the quality of their earlier albums.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-05-27, 02:35 AM
Honestly this phenomenon has always puzzled me as well. Sure Nickelback isn't great, and is possibly overplayed. On the other hand, their lead singer can actually, you know, sing, the vocals and the backup don't end up going in completely opposite directions at random moments, and their lyrics aren't noticably worse than 90% of the other stuff out there. Not great, but not terrible.

Now why people listen to anything by Rihanna* or the Jonas Brothers, which fail at least one of the above competancy tests, that baffles me.

*Seriously, Unfaithful is like what happens when a perfectly good piano ballad is murdered with an industrial strength sieve, resurrected, murdered again, and then sung by a person with only a vague notion of where the notes are and how to hold them. At this point in time I'm all for the U.S. Army launching a forceful takeover of the music industry to prevent further crimes against humanity like this from ever occuring.

I listen to none of these. I like music. :smallwink:

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2009-05-27, 06:06 AM

Thank you. Someone here actually has some perspective.

As for people saying "they're like everything else on the radio", I'm assuming that's for America, where rock music on the radio is the norm. Not so in the UK (on mainstream radio stations, anyway), so I suppose their perceived lack of originality has not come across to me at all. Not all of their songs are similar-sounding, either. And at the time I hated Rock Star for its overplayedness, but recently I heard it again and it is actually quite good. It seems to me like something that's cool to hate.

Avilan the Grey
2009-05-27, 06:41 AM
To tie this topic to the Coldplay topic, and the radio comment above:

European music taste seems waste different than American; as much as I loathe shewing-gum dance tunes the Depressed Rock / Whinecore that fills a lot of American radio stations worse.

Cristo Meyers
2009-05-27, 07:13 AM
Actually, their debut album was Curb (I don't consider a 7-song EP to be a debut album). It was...okay. Not very refined but, like Zebedee said, it had potential. Four years later, they released The State, which showed improvement. I remember really loving the video for Leader of Men.

I purposely purged memory of Curb from my mind...

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-05-27, 07:17 AM
I never really got the Nickelback hatin´, myself. As far as I can tell they´re a pretty average band, easy to listen to with some fairly decent songs here and there.

I listen to them every now and then. I do not, however, see why they whould be so popular. Meh, happens all the time I suppose.

Revlid
2009-05-27, 08:05 AM
As a UKitP, Nickelback were and largely remain a ray of rock light on a radio playlist otherwise populated by pop-tarts and now 'R'n'B'. They remain one of the closest things to my musical tastes commonly played on the radio, and I thank them for that.

Samey? Yes, but I'm not looking for musical innovation from them.
Talentless Hacks? No, not at all, especially compared to half the UK no.1 HITS.
We've had Ant & Dec at No.1 over here, people. Nickelback are a damned welcome reprieve.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-05-27, 08:10 AM
As a UKitP, Nickelback were and largely remain a ray of rock light on a radio playlist otherwise populated by pop-tarts and now 'R'n'B'. They remain one of the closest things to my musical tastes commonly played on the radio, and I thank them for that.

Samey? Yes, but I'm not looking for musical innovation from them.
Talentless Hacks? No, not at all, especially compared to half the UK no.1 HITS.
We've had Ant & Dec at No.1 over here, people. Nickelback are a damned welcome reprieve.

That acronym is a a bit too coincidently similar to UKIP.:smallbiggrin:

Revlid
2009-05-27, 09:38 AM
That acronym is a a bit too coincidently similar to UKIP.:smallbiggrin:

You have no idea how I double-taked when I saw the "Summer UKitP Meet-Up" thread in Friendly Banter. :smallwink:

(friendly note for Americans and other curious life-forms: UKIP is the United Kingdom Independence Party, whose main goal is the withdrawal of the UK from the European Union)

mangosta71
2009-05-27, 09:48 AM
I look at Nickelback like almost any other band out there today - they have a handful of songs that I like, in extremely rare cases enough on a single album for me to justify actually buying it instead of picking and choosing tracks to make my own CD.

I hardly ever listen to the radio, so I'm not really exposed to the overplayed aspect. But that seems to be the root of most of the resentment people have. It's not the band's fault that the music industry decided they should be popular and tries to force them down our throats. The people responsible for everything on the radio sounding the same are the radio stations themselves. Hate them.

Cristo Meyers
2009-05-27, 09:53 AM
I actually very rarely hear them on the radio. Maybe I'm just listening to the wrong (or, in this case right) station.

Whoracle
2009-05-27, 09:59 AM
if that's the same link I remember it was debunked as a hoax, as since the music plays on both speakers it becomes difficult to tell how the site maker/troll cut the songs up and rearranged them for his own amusement.

not that I'm defending nickelback, but if you're going to criticize someone then have the dignity to not falsify evidence.

Well, that's what I though at first, too, but try it for yourself. Load both songs into audacity, pitch one to the right and the other one to the left, and give one a teeny weeny headstart, and there you go. identical except for when distortion cuts in and in the rythm of the guitar chords...

xPANCAKEx
2009-05-27, 10:26 AM
as a UK poster, i can say to you all now that since the death of John Peel i have almost zero hope for radio

even XFM - which started out brilliant, playing a wide variety of music, known and unknown - swiftly went down the pan after being bought out by the capital radio group.

Theres very little diversity on UK radio. Ipod ahoy.

Rockphed
2009-05-27, 10:51 AM
Their 2005 album, All the Right Reasons, is where they actually tanked, imo. There were signs of it earlier, but that album seems to be nothing but the bland, soulless and thoughtless, radio hits we've all come to hate as representations of the band.

Soulless? Thoughtless? Some of it might be, but most of it is thought provoking if you actually listen. Maybe not Animals or Rock Star(though I don't listen to those because I don't like people walking in in the middle of them and noticing the lyrics), but If Everyone Cared certainly provokes thought in my mind.

However, I actually enjoy their music. I have a selection of their songs which are different from each other, and I like the tunes and the lyrics. That's not to say I think they are teh bestest bands evar !!one!1!, but I enjoy listening to them.

I agree, the music is not teh bestest evar!!!!11!!!, but it is, mostly, good listening. Furthermore, Nickelback can actually sing, play their instruments, and harmonize. They may be hacks, but they aren't talentless hacks.

Can anyone tell me some good songs from their early albums? I've only really got their new stuff so far, so I'm curious as to the quality of their earlier albums.

Hear! Hear!

Cristo Meyers
2009-05-27, 10:55 AM
Hear! Hear!

I can't remember anything from Curb, there was really nothing there that grabbed the attention.

From The State the two hits are considered to be Leader of Men and Breathe. From Silver Side Up there's How You Remind Me, Too Bad, and Never Again. I'm also partial to Good Times Gone from that album.

Joran
2009-05-27, 11:29 AM
People hate Nickelback because they are talentless hack millionaires, while actual good bands struggle on in obscurity. Though I did like "Rockstar", primarily for the humorous lyrics.

Are any of you familiar with the incident in which Nickelback was pelted with batteries at one of their shows?

Rockstar cracked me up, mainly because one of the local radio stations blanked out the word "pills", among with other references to drugs.

warty goblin
2009-05-27, 11:42 AM
Thank you. Someone here actually has some perspective.

As for people saying "they're like everything else on the radio", I'm assuming that's for America, where rock music on the radio is the norm. Not so in the UK (on mainstream radio stations, anyway), so I suppose their perceived lack of originality has not come across to me at all. Not all of their songs are similar-sounding, either. And at the time I hated Rock Star for its overplayedness, but recently I heard it again and it is actually quite good. It seems to me like something that's cool to hate.

Heh, if rock was the norm on the radio here, I'd be a happy, happy man. Thanks to my going nowhere fast restaurant summer employment, I've got a lot of radio listening time on my hands however, and I can assure you that the horrible specter of R&B* claims its icy dominion over our airwaves as well.

Let's put it this way. I own a Nickelback CD, and listen to it very infrequently. It's simply not all that good, and I own better stuff. On the other hand when Nickelback comes on the radio, it actually improves my mood, because I'm at least guarenteed an average to middling good listening experience. After being ear-raped for the last two hours by Every Interchangable R&B Artist Ever, something average sounding appears to be damn near brilliant.

*Apparently this stands for Rythm and Blues. Well, there's no real rythm that I can detect, and somehow I'm fairly certain that the blues aren't quite so obsessed with 'booty'.

Cristo Meyers
2009-05-27, 11:49 AM
Heh, if rock was the norm on the radio here, I'd be a happy, happy man. Thanks to my going nowhere fast restaurant summer employment, I've got a lot of radio listening time on my hands however, and I can assure you that the horrible specter of R&B* claims its icy dominion over our airwaves as well.

Agreed. In the Chicagoland area there are maybe two actual rock stations that I can get on my car radio. Everything else is either county, R & B (read: rap), latin rap, rap rap, gangsta rap, actual Spanish music, news/talk, or classical. I think there might be a dance/techno station in there somewhere too.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-05-27, 12:00 PM
I agree, the music is not teh bestest evar!!!!11!!!, but it is, mostly, good listening. Furthermore, Nickelback can actually sing, play their instruments, and harmonize. They may be hacks, but they aren't talentless hacks.

I dunno, being able to play their instruments isn't exactly something to brag about. I mean, we are talking about a rock band here...it seems like being able to play your instruments competently should be the lowest bar to pass.

My expectations are a bit different from most of you guys it seems -- the way I see it, if a band can't play their instruments well, they need to have some sort of very endearing gimmick (i.e. Sex Pistols), or be really good at songwriting. Nickelback are none of these things, and thats why I will continue to hate them.

To tie this topic to the Coldplay topic, and the radio comment above:

European music taste seems waste different than American; as much as I loathe shewing-gum dance tunes the Depressed Rock / Whinecore that fills a lot of American radio stations worse.

Whinecore...thats a great way to sum up the crap that gets played on modern American rock radio, the worst rock music to have ever existed! Somewhere along the line, all the singers got very whiny. Sometimes the vocalists from different bands even sound identical to me.

Philistine
2009-05-27, 04:19 PM
I dunno, being able to play their instruments isn't exactly something to brag about. I mean, we are talking about a rock band here...it seems like being able to play your instruments competently should be the lowest bar to pass.

If only that were true. Alas!

Canadian
2009-05-27, 04:45 PM
This band sucks.

I want my nickel back!

Starscream
2009-05-27, 05:14 PM
This band sucks.

I want my nickel back!

Clearly you were overcharged.

Canadian
2009-05-27, 07:46 PM
Clearly you were overcharged.

This band sucks.

I want my piece of dryer lint back!

xPANCAKEx
2009-05-27, 10:01 PM
This band sucks.

I want my piece of dryer lint back!

still thinkin you got ripped off there

Rutskarn
2009-05-27, 10:02 PM
This band sucks.

I want they 5 million and benefits they paid me to acknowledge they exist to be refunded to them.

zeratul
2009-05-27, 10:23 PM
Nickleback has some listenable tunes but are extremely generic, I would have to express confusion as to people drawing similarities between them and peral jam and nirvana though. It pains me to say this as a metalhead, but Nickleback in most of their songs (most sound different from rockstar) are really sort a watered down Metallica. If you want to see this, listen to some nickleback and then Metallica's St. Anger Album. They're quite similar. That said Metallica is of course much better than Nickleback other than the St. Anger CD.

Avilan the Grey
2009-05-28, 01:16 AM
I look at Nickelback like almost any other band out there today - they have a handful of songs that I like, in extremely rare cases enough on a single album for me to justify actually buying it instead of picking and choosing tracks to make my own CD.

True; there was a day (before my time) after the LP became commonplace, when people bought an "album" and sat down to listen to every single song. This also lead to the theme albums, eventually...It didn't last that long though, "even back when I was young :smallwink:" we were basically back to the "singles"; even if you bought the entire album, you never expected to listen to every song more than once (to figure out which ones were as good as the one hit single you bought the album for) and then you recorded those on a tape...
I don't think that has changed since; although now we download them to our media centers / mp3 players / cellphones.

(I, too, have stopped listening to radio almost completely, partly because our house managed, somehow, to be in a radio shadow but also because radio sucks, these days. Don't get me started on MTV... (MTV Europe kept to the concept of actually playing varied music longer than MTV America, but these days it's just "Hogan knows best" and Hiphop / R&B all over)

In short, no-one, for the last 20 years at least, ever expects an album to be 100% good.

chiasaur11
2009-05-28, 01:23 AM
This band sucks.

I want they 5 million and benefits they paid me to acknowledge they exist to be refunded to them.

I...

Officially represent them in this matter.

(That's it!)

I'll be taking one million back now. The rest can wait a bit.

ghost_warlock
2009-05-28, 04:38 AM
Soulless? Thoughtless? Some of it might be, but most of it is thought provoking if you actually listen. Maybe not Animals or Rock Star(though I don't listen to those because I don't like people walking in in the middle of them and noticing the lyrics), but If Everyone Cared certainly provokes thought in my mind.

Even if everyone cared, people would still die. There will never, ever be a 'day when nobody died.' We can do damage control, sure, but death is a biological inevitability.

When Chad Kroeger starts donating proceeds from his albums to actually making a difference, I'll maybe think harder about it. Until then, the song just comes across to me as "I'm a nice guy, kissing babies and thinking about the future; all that stuff. Buy my album."

Canadian
2009-05-28, 08:37 AM
This band sucks.

Bring me the tongue and vocal cords of Chad Kroeger!

Rutskarn
2009-05-28, 09:32 AM
I...

Officially represent them in this matter.

(That's it!)

I'll be taking one million back now. The rest can wait a bit.

Sounds reasonable. Do you take checks?

Like body checks to the face?

Decoy Lockbox
2009-05-29, 02:50 AM
If only that were true. Alas!

I guess as a metalhead my expectations are slightly unrealistic. Behold! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOb6JSQd-Qw)

Killer Angel
2009-05-29, 03:10 AM
I guess as a metalhead my expectations are slightly unrealistic. Behold! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOb6JSQd-Qw)

Bleurgh, they deserve to die.

(OK, I know that probably only me, you and some other metalhead could understand the pun without a link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIRuBZNVjNg&feature=related)... :smalltongue:)

Anyway, on topic: Nickelback are (to me) at best a very easy-listening music. Good as a soundtrack (low volume) at a party with friends and girls, while cooking hamburgers on grill.

Xanedan
2009-06-07, 10:59 AM
I'd like to echo what a few of our UK posters are saying, as an American who has now lived in England for a year, radio over here almost makes Nickelback a welcome alternative. I'd take anything with a guitar (even something as humdrum as grunge) over the barrage of dance music, or hilariously bad rap, that I get hit with whenever I'm forced to listen to a radio.

I miss classic rock stations, which has an added tinge of irony seeings as most of my favorite bands actually got their start, or made it big, in England.

I can't believe how low the country that gave us the best of the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's has sunk.

darkblust
2009-06-07, 11:08 AM
I don't understand why everyone likes 'rockstar'.I think it is the worst song they made!Its boring.

xPANCAKEx
2009-06-07, 11:13 AM
i wish john peel was still alive and x-fm wasn't owned by the capital group

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-07, 01:17 PM
I don't understand why everyone likes 'rockstar'.I think it is the worst song they made!Its boring.

I hate Nickelback, but I actually liked that song. Personally, I like it because of the lyrics, which I find hilarious. If someone liked it for any reason other than pure humor value, that would be weird to me.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2009-06-07, 04:33 PM
If I ever get a radio show I am going to play rock music and grant some aesome music to British radio; like a shining ray of light from the heavens, but audible.

And I know what you mean about XFM, it used to actually be good.

banjo1985
2009-06-08, 04:35 AM
As a bloke on the radio once spoofed:

I hate Nickleback,
I really really think they're crap.
They sing stupid songs that get stuck in my head,
They're so pants they'd try to rhyme that with bread...

Sung to the tune of Photograph of course. :smalltongue:

Muz
2009-06-09, 10:21 AM

Talk about rip-off...

Rather like Cold Play in that regard. (As far as I can tell, they only recently released a second song. All the others were just the first song with different lyrics.)

But back to Nickelback, yes: Average, dull...and frankly the lead's voice grates on my personal aural tastes. Not that I suppose my answer here is any different from anyone else's, but given the nature of the band we're discussing, I suppose that's kind of apropos. :smallwink:

Generic Archer
2009-06-14, 04:10 AM
My arguments on this topic go like thus:

- They are incredibly generic, they have been copied and overplayed ad infinitum
think ACDC with even less variation between songs.

- They are not good musicians, they may be better than every other band in the genre but the bass and guitar lines are simple and repetitive, the drumming more so and as for the singer, he gets his own topic

- He can't sing, yes he can hold a tune... not really an accomplishment 'till you look at the genre. the lyrics are atrocious and that voice, it just grates

- He ruined Carlos Santana for a generation at least, true it may have introduced the brilliance that is Santana to a few, but to see a brilliant guitarist perform with that atrocious voice. It hurts.

Rhydeble
2009-06-14, 06:28 AM
Hey guys, if your sick of Rockstar, how about Nickelback's new hit Popstar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uSlqI1AVUk)

chiasaur11
2009-06-14, 02:25 PM
Hey guys, if your sick of Rockstar, how about Nickelback's new hit Popstar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uSlqI1AVUk)

Allow me to quote a famous critic:

It hurts it hurts It hurts it hurts It hurts it hurts It hurts it hurts It hurts it hurts It hurts it hurts It hurts it hurts It hurts it hurts It hurts it hurts It hurts it hurts It hurts it hurts It hurts it hurts It hurts it hurts It hurts it hurts It hurts it hurts It hurts it hurts It hurts it hurts It hurts it hurts It hurts it hurts It hurts it hurts It hurts it hurts It hurts it hurts It hurts it hurts It hurts it hurts

And so on.

Demons_eye
2009-06-15, 01:21 AM

At first I was ew....
Then he said tell me what you want
And I was like LoL

I don't know why people post in these threads if you dislike bands/books/things for no reason. A good reason to hate a band : they rip off music, A bad reasons : I don't like the music. As for playing them too much, that might have been the case some time ago but now I hear more linkin park then I hear them

chiasaur11
2009-06-15, 01:29 AM
At first I was ew....
Then he said tell me what you want
And I was like LoL

I don't know why people post in these threads if you dislike bands/books/things for no reason. A good reason to hate a band : they rip off music, A bad reasons : I don't like the music. As for playing them too much, that might have been the case some time ago but now I hear more linkin park then I hear them

Their music being awful is a perfectly legitimate reason to hate a band. Not the people in it, mind, but a band's sole criteria is quality of work, and if the band sucks, it, as far as it applies to bands, is a moral failing and thus the scorn of civilized men and women is applicable.

Not that people can't like it, but that is because taste is not a matter of human moral failing, but merely the same quirks of human nature that, at batter times, give us the heights of art (IE, the Doom comic, and if you disagree, you're wrong.)

kpenguin
2009-06-15, 01:38 AM
This (http://www.thefump.com/fump.php?id=113)

Of course, that infects many bands

Demons_eye
2009-06-15, 01:39 AM
Not that people can't like it, but that is because taste is not a matter of human moral failing, but merely the same quirks of human nature that, at batter times, give us the heights of art (IE, the Doom comic, and if you disagree, you're wrong.)

Thats my point, why bother to post if you hate the band and you only hate it cuz you think it sucks?

I dislike/hate 90% of rap and if asked why I dont like it I say: "Just dont" and drop it. I might look into a thread of why people like rap but I wont post in it even if asked what I thought.