PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Ideas for Warforged weapon mounts

maniakmastah
2009-05-26, 01:22 PM
Hey ya'll, after getting the ok for thinking some ideas for new weapons and warforged stuff by my DM, i've been thinking about what would be some pretty good weapons that can be mounted onto a Warforged. My idea for one was, if any one here's ever played Starcraft, they'll know about the arm mounted flamethrowers Firebats use. How would ya'll stat this up have come up with a reasonable price, would like it to be magic based, since i can just so love a horde of goblins rushing at a warforged, then are incinerated by flames shooting out his arms. Any other ideas and suggestions would also be appreciated, nothing is too outrageous.

Faleldir
2009-05-26, 01:31 PM
It sounds like you want Burning Hands as a spell-like ability. Let's say you have 20 units of magical "fuel" per day, and your caster level for the SLA is equal to the number of units spent, up to your BAB. Would that work?

TheThan
2009-05-26, 01:54 PM
Gattling guns and missile launchers.

AslanCross
2009-05-26, 05:12 PM
My brother once wanted to play a Warforged with a giant piledriver stake. (http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery2/gallery/d/104037-3/tn_ALTEISEN+RIESE+_6_.JPG) I can't remember if he wanted it mounted or handheld, though.

maniakmastah
2009-05-27, 12:32 AM
It sounds like you want Burning Hands as a spell-like ability. Let's say you have 20 units of magical "fuel" per day, and your caster level for the SLA is equal to the number of units spent, up to your BAB. Would that work?

Nice, it's something to consider. Here's what i was thinking. Creating a flamethrower weapon built INTO his arms. Using the 'burning hands' spell as a use-activated item (assuming it makes it unlimited in use) (a 1st level spell) set at CL 5, for 5d4 points of fire damage, for a starting price of 10,000 gp (1x5=5 5x2000 gp=10,000 gp). Next, to not waste an item slot, i multiply the base price by 2 to make it a slotless item in his arms, thus raising the price now to 20,000 gp. Next, to help bypass DR/magic, i decide to get it enchanted with a +2 weapon enhancement, now upping the price to 28,000 gp. Now i know this sounds awfully expensive for just 5d4+2, but here's what i'm planning.

This warforged has a 6th level Artificer cohort that's mainly used for repairs, item creation, and support, and keeps away from battle. If my artificer tries to make the item herself, it'll cost her 14,000 gp (half of 28,000) and 1,120 xp (1/25 of 28,000), however this artificer has both Legendary Artisan and Extraordinary Artisan, reducing both the XP cost and cost in GP by 25%. This makes the final price for doing it herself 3,500 gp and 280 xp for each flamethrower.

Tell me what ya'll think.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-27, 12:47 AM
A Drill. A giant drill you use to stab things. For each arm. And then combine them.

Or, if you're looking for a ranged ability, there's a spell in RotD that reloads a crossbow as a free action 10 times. Get that constant effect and a Splittng Crossbow of Speed built into your arm. Magical M-16.

tyckspoon
2009-05-27, 12:49 AM
N Using the 'burning hands' spell as a use-activated item Next, to help bypass DR/magic, i decide to get it enchanted with a +2 weapon enhancement, now upping the price to 28,000 gp. Now i know this sounds awfully expensive for just 5d4+2, but here's what i'm planning.

Say whut? Spells don't benefit from weapon enhancement bonuses and energy damage bypasses DR of all kinds already; its resisted by Energy Resistance. Enchanting a spell as a weapon is, by the rules, nonsensical and pointless.

Yer math's off on the costs, too. Reducing the costs by 25% is not the same as reducing them to 25%, which is what you've done. It should be (10,000 x .75) = 7,500 gp and (800 x .75) = 600 xp. On the plus side, you only need to buy one of them to get the mechanical effect you want. As a slotless item, you can pretty much describe it installed however you like, so one flamethrower can be mounted as a nozzle on the back of each hand.

maniakmastah
2009-05-27, 01:02 AM
Say whut? Spells don't benefit from weapon enhancement bonuses and energy damage bypasses DR of all kinds already; its resisted by Energy Resistance. Enchanting a spell as a weapon is, by the rules, nonsensical and pointless.

Yer math's off on the costs, too. Reducing the costs by 25% is not the same as reducing them to 25%, which is what you've done. It should be (10,000 x .75) = 7,500 gp and (800 x .75) = 600 xp. On the plus side, you only need to buy one of them to get the mechanical effect you want. As a slotless item, you can pretty much describe it installed however you like, so one flamethrower can be mounted as a nozzle on the back of each hand.

Thanks for correcting me, never was good at calculating stuff like this, also realized i also took Exceptional Artisan as well, reducing the time it takes to make items by 25%. So redoing the math, it should come out to:

10,000 gp x .75= 7,500 gp
800 xp x .75=600 xp
7 days to make x .75= 5 days to build

Hopefully i've done a better job of redoing the math. If not, feel free to re-correct any errors.

Quietus
2009-05-27, 04:51 AM
Gattling guns and missile launchers.

Magic Missiles and Fireballs.

Baron Malkar
2009-05-27, 05:12 AM
i know there is a wand chamber that gos in your arm that would let you use wands of burning hands, magic missle, and fireball. When you run out of charges(ammo) you pop in a new one.

Hunter Noventa
2009-05-27, 07:24 AM
My brother once wanted to play a Warforged with a giant piledriver stake. (http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery2/gallery/d/104037-3/tn_ALTEISEN+RIESE+_6_.JPG) I can't remember if he wanted it mounted or handheld, though.

Did you let him? Because that would be awesome...

As for the question. There is the Armbow, can't remember where it's from but it's basically an arm-mounted crossbow with extra dimensional ammo storage. There's also the Wand Chamber, but you can't change out the wand until it runs out.

maniakmastah
2009-05-27, 01:03 PM
Also gives me an idea for a speed booster/ flight system in the back to allow flight and faster movement on both charges and melee. He's basically a charger anyway, so this just let's him get there much quicker. What do ya'll think.

Pramxnim
2009-05-27, 01:29 PM
Well... if your DM is not that averse to homebrewing...

Shameless plug!!! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111577)

It's got the weapons (reflavour them however you want), the boosters, and more!

Go for a non-ToB version if you so like, or even an arcane one. The details are in the adaptation section.

Cheers!

chiasaur11
2009-05-27, 01:37 PM
Anyone suggested a torso cannon yet?

Those always look cool. Or at least insane.

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-05-27, 01:50 PM

-if he wants to rename himself Worker 8, and his cohort Mustadio, perhaps. :smalltongue:

mistformsquirrl
2009-05-27, 01:59 PM
Hrmm...

Wonder... is it possible to get an item capable of casting Disintegrate X number of times per day? Because if so that'd make a fantastic gauntlet mount >.> LASER OF DOOM!

Also (dunno if it actually exists as I don't know Faerun rules very well) but - Isaac's Greater Missile Storm from NWN, in item-castable form, would be the ultimate arcane machinegun.

<.<

*edit*

Oh yeah and the non-Disintegrate gauntlet could always cast Fire Sword. >.>

Asheram
2009-05-27, 02:26 PM
Sounds like you're into the same things that I've got.

I'm currently in the process of mounting a "rold of ropes" (Complete Scoundrel) into my warforgeds lower arm, as well as pondering the thought of a hidden "wand bracer" that rotates between different wands in the other.

I love being an warforged artificer. There's so much fun "pimping" one can do to oneself.

maniakmastah
2009-05-27, 11:04 PM
Well... if your DM is not that averse to homebrewing...

Shameless plug!!! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111577)

It's got the weapons (reflavour them however you want), the boosters, and more!

Go for a non-ToB version if you so like, or even an arcane one. The details are in the adaptation section.

Cheers!

First off, before i type anything, let me do this

*bows down to your Mav'rick huntin awesomeness*

I love the Mega Man X series, and i'm tempted to show this to my DM to see what he thinks. The right arm i'm planning to put the flamethrower or whatever tickles my fancy, but i've wanted to think about a Mega Man style weapon for awhile, and this class may let me do it if my DM is cool with it.

Cheers Pramx, and keep on makin' more awesomeness

maniakmastah
2009-05-27, 11:20 PM

Those always look cool. Or at least insane.

Lol, the more outrageous the better i say. I was planning on something like a Bag of Holding there or a 'Magic Missile' based chaingun system ala "Gundam Heavyarms", but that's also a possibility to consider. Make one of the more pricey slotless items to really bring the pain.

maniakmastah
2009-05-27, 11:24 PM
Sounds like you're into the same things that I've got.

I'm currently in the process of mounting a "rold of ropes" (Complete Scoundrel) into my warforgeds lower arm, as well as pondering the thought of a hidden "wand bracer" that rotates between different wands in the other.

I love being an warforged artificer. There's so much fun "pimping" one can do to oneself.

You know what they say, great minds think alike. I took the Leadership feat, even though my Charisma kinda sucks (a 7) and originally made her to be my medic, but then that got me to thinking. With an Artificer cohort, the delicious possibilities to consider, that is if my DM will allow them. Rold of Ropes, do describe please?

Hopefuly if all goes right, i'll have the D&D equivalent of Marvel's War Machine or Mega Man X's Vile (always had a thing for villains).

maniakmastah
2009-05-27, 11:29 PM
Hrmm...

Wonder... is it possible to get an item capable of casting Disintegrate X number of times per day? Because if so that'd make a fantastic gauntlet mount >.> LASER OF DOOM!

Also (dunno if it actually exists as I don't know Faerun rules very well) but - Isaac's Greater Missile Storm from NWN, in item-castable form, would be the ultimate arcane machinegun.

<.<

*edit*

Oh yeah and the non-Disintegrate gauntlet could always cast Fire Sword. >.>

That'll be pretty sweet, i'm gonna get to numbers crunching when i get the chance, but all of these ideas are awesome.

sonofzeal
2009-05-27, 11:30 PM
I just want to mention that one of the Maug grafts is basically a shoulder-mounted rifle. Might be of use to you.

chiasaur11
2009-05-27, 11:40 PM
Lol, the more outrageous the better i say. I was planning on something like a Bag of Holding there or a 'Magic Missile' based chaingun system ala "Gundam Heavyarms", but that's also a possibility to consider. Make one of the more pricey slotless items to really bring the pain.

Oh, the bag of holding would work.

Maybe add a flail arm and a built in chair?

Innis Cabal
2009-05-27, 11:41 PM
Kamen Rider. That is all

Knaight
2009-05-27, 11:45 PM
One possibility is a spool of razor wire, with a bead at one end. The bead can either go in a slot in the other arm, which puts the razor wire between the writs, or it can be used as an extremely nasty whip. Razor wire is fun.

Using the current rules, there are always eternal wands to consider building in.

maniakmastah
2009-05-28, 12:00 AM
One possibility is a spool of razor wire, with a bead at one end. The bead can either go in a slot in the other arm, which puts the razor wire between the writs, or it can be used as an extremely nasty whip. Razor wire is fun.

Using the current rules, there are always eternal wands to consider building in.

Yep, Razor wire is always fun, even more so when your grappling and have the enemy pinned, then you have some nasty Garrote wire to make it grapples that much more fun.

maniakmastah
2009-05-28, 12:01 AM
I just want to mention that one of the Maug grafts is basically a shoulder-mounted rifle. Might be of use to you.

Oh, you mean from Fiend Folio, might have to read up more on that. Thanks

chiasaur11
2009-05-28, 12:13 AM
Yep, Razor wire is always fun, even more so when your grappling and have the enemy pinned, then you have some nasty Garrote wire to make it grapples that much more fun.

Well, warforged are bald by default, and they can have serial numbers on the neck...

Asheram
2009-05-28, 04:14 AM
You know what they say, great minds think alike. I took the Leadership feat, even though my Charisma kinda sucks (a 7) and originally made her to be my medic, but then that got me to thinking. With an Artificer cohort, the delicious possibilities to consider, that is if my DM will allow them. Rold of Ropes, do describe please?

Ooh. Rod of ropes, one of my very favorite items.
It's basicly a three-button rod that either makes 300ft of rope appear from it, launches a grapplinghook 300ft (which one can make an ranged bullrush with as well) and is automaticly retractable (even with you hanging from it), or launches two grapplinghooks in opposite directions with 300ft rope which you can slide between

It's basicly going batman and costs 4000gp.

Pramxnim
2009-05-28, 06:48 AM
*bows down to your Mav'rick huntin awesomeness*
Cheers Pramx, and keep on makin' more awesomeness

Why thank you :">
I hope your DM gives you the A-Ok on that PrC. It'd be awesome to see it get used in an actual campaign.

@mistformsquirrl: The Demented One made wandguns and other stuff (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5867363#post5867363) a while back. There's a Disintegrate blaster in there, if I recall correctly.

Replace the grappling hook on Rod of Ropes with your detached Warforged hand, and you've got a mecha capable of firing his fists at the enemy!

maniakmastah
2009-05-29, 09:10 AM
I hope your DM gives you the A-Ok on that PrC. It'd be awesome to see it get used in an actual campaign.

@mistformsquirrl: The Demented One made wandguns and other stuff (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5867363#post5867363) a while back. There's a Disintegrate blaster in there, if I recall correctly.

Replace the grappling hook on Rod of Ropes with your detached Warforged hand, and you've got a mecha capable of firing his fists at the enemy!

Lol, GRAPPLER FIST, DEPLOY!!! Well, i got the green light so far with 2 of the items i plan on making (the flamethrower and the speed booster) so the grappler in the other arm might be another good item to consider as another slotless item. Is it possible to get the rope replaced with chain, because having Link's hookshot in your arm would be absolutely awesome.

maniakmastah
2009-05-30, 12:58 AM
What would be better (or at the least more eye popping) for a shoulder slot, an energy based cannon ala Vile's from Megaman X, extendable arms, a flight system, or a 40K Doom Siren weapon? What do ya'll think?

mistformsquirrl
2009-05-30, 01:15 AM

<._.> *glee*

This is highly relevant to my interests.

chiasaur11
2009-05-30, 01:36 AM
What would be better (or at the least more eye popping) for a shoulder slot, an energy based cannon ala Vile's from Megaman X, extendable arms, a flight system, or a 40K Doom Siren weapon? What do ya'll think?

Shoulder cannon.

Always a classic.

AslanCross
2009-05-30, 02:41 AM
Did you let him? Because that would be awesome...

My brother hasn't had a chance to join any of my games yet, unfortunately.

Asheram
2009-05-30, 10:43 AM
Shoulder cannon.

Always a classic.

Mm... shouldercannon, grapplinghook, then get greater invisibility and go predator on them!

Chalupagasm
2011-03-08, 03:48 PM
My warforged bear mount has a flamethrower nozzle and chainsaws for claws (He is huge sized, because my PC is part frost giant, so that opens up a lot of possibilities. Plus, my DM let's us get away with some crazy stuff.) We just do regular damage rolls for the claws with an additional 2d6 of bleed damage because they're chainsaws. As for the flamethrower, we treat it as a regular breath weapon.

Prime32
2011-03-08, 04:37 PM
Be a dragonborn warforged. Take Draconic Tail and Prehensile Tail. Mount an armbow on your tail.

Thurbane
2011-03-08, 08:29 PM
Warforged weapon mounts always remind me of one of my favorite comic book character's - Death's Head (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death%27s_head). He used to swap his hand for a spiked mace, gun and missile launcher, amongst others. I must get around to creating him as a Warforged character one day (bounty hunter freelance peackeeping agent).

http://i54.tinypic.com/2uelb93.jpg
Death Head II was cool, but nowhere near as fun as the original (he assimilated the personality of Death's Head I, which merged with his own).

Vknight
2011-03-08, 09:30 PM
Ah Death Hand always a classic.