PDA

View Full Version : Tech support

Eon
2009-05-26, 04:14 PM
Ever had one of those glitches or something in a game where you need to tell the horrible, feared, EVIL Tech Support of Doom?
Do you ever:
-Get stuck in a loop?
-ignored?
-told a simple method that you have obviously tried?
-emailed them and got emails saying we have passed it up to a higher level of tech support and will get back to you... and get emails from them saying we are working on it? (own example:smallmad:)
-come out more confused then you begin with?
-Outsmarted them?
-not able to understand what they are saying?

Share your grief!(and anger)
Tell people!

you know you want to!

Morty
2009-05-26, 04:15 PM
Well, a week ago I reported tech support about a serious glitch in my freshly bought Company of Heroes. I still haven't got an answer.

Eon
2009-05-26, 04:19 PM
Is it sad when most of my emails are from tech support saying that they have no clue what is wrong with my game (Guild Wars if anyone cares) I can play it but it doesn't give me Zaishen Elite points even if uncapped:smallfurious:

RTGoodman
2009-05-26, 04:19 PM
I picked up Fable II within a day or two of it coming out. Within another couple of days, I was at probably about 80-85% done (was about to recruit the Hero of Skill, and then finish the fight). At that point, I hit an apparently common game-ending glitch. Couldn't leave the town I was in the normal, couldn't interact with people/objects/whatever, couldn't do anything. Waited a few days and apparently nothing came of it. :smallannoyed:

I stopped playing and just put the game away, never to play it again. As it turns out, they released a patch for it several days after I stopped, but by the time I found out about it, I didn't even want to play anymore. :smallsigh:

And you know, I STILL haven't gone back and beaten it... :smallredface:

Eon
2009-05-26, 04:20 PM
maybe you should try it again...:smalltongue:

Morty
2009-05-26, 04:22 PM
Is it sad when most of my emails are from tech support saying that they have no clue what is wrong with my game (Guild Wars if anyone cares) I can play it but it doesn't give me Zaishen Elite points even if uncapped:smallfurious:

Really, I wouldn't mind if they told me they've no clue what to do or that I haven't given them enough detail or something. It's being ignored that sucks. The glitch itself is that if I install the expansion pack, the game only runs in the multiplayer mode.:smallannoyed:

Eon
2009-05-26, 04:23 PM
but when it spams your inbox and it tells you nothing really it gets on your nerves

Crispy Dave
2009-05-28, 01:46 AM
Tech support people are lazy. This is why one of the jobs I'm considering is tech support.

KuReshtin
2009-05-28, 04:59 AM
Tech support people are lazy.

Some most certainly are, yes.
Most likely the techies that deal with questions like gaming issues and the like get inundates with the same questions time and time again, and if it's something they're already working on, it'd difficult for them to give a proper response.

The ignoring of customers is inexcusable, however sometimes, things do get missed and falls between chairs.

Also, don't complain about the techies asking you to try mundane, easy tests that you've already thought of. They don't know that before they ask you (or you tell them) so they're just doing their job. For them to escalate a serious problem, they need to verify that the mundane tests (update BIOS, update drivers, reinstall certain stuff, etc) has been done. Cause if they haven't, and are not able to solve the problem because they haven't checked, or because you haven't told them, then they're going to get their a$$es handed to them when they escalate it to the next level of their chain of support and it is revealed that the problem is something that could have been easily avoided in the firt place.
Not everyone that calls in to a support desk for help knows to do these checks in the first place.

Also, always try to remember that before you start complaining about the techies when you think you know more than them:

You called them.

[/sticking up for fellow tech support guys]

KuReshtin
2009-05-29, 07:12 AM
Okay, I didn't mean to kill the thread with my post. Just giving a bit of a view from the other side of the phone.

I mean, I get frustrated every now and then when I have to call somewhere for help and realise they're useless people who doesn't know anything other than what's written on their call flow sheets and doesn't listen to anything you say before they get to that point on their sheet.

valadil
2009-05-29, 09:22 AM
Tech support people are lazy. This is why one of the jobs I'm considering is tech support.

Users are lazy. Tech support people are depressed from doing work for ignorant lazy users. It's very hard to stay motivated about answering the same question 90 times a day, especially when that question is answered in your documentation.

I worked tech support at college. When I was done with it I'd learn how to speak to tech support. In the past 7 or 8 years I've not once had a problem with phone tech support. I tell them what the problem is and what I've done to fix it (usually quoting the troubleshooting page of the manual helps) and they elevate me to someone who can handle the problem. The only exception to this is the outsourced call centers. They're worse than useless.

Eon
2009-05-29, 03:50 PM
Okay, I didn't mean to kill the thread with my post. Just giving a bit of a view from the other side of the phone.

I mean, I get frustrated every now and then when I have to call somewhere for help and realise they're useless people who doesn't know anything other than what's written on their call flow sheets and doesn't listen to anything you say before they get to that point on their sheet.

No, you were right. Majorady of people (including me) do blame tech support when sometimes it is them trying to act like tech support doesn't know what they are doing when the problems occur. So no, you did nothing wrong but instead clarified it for that majorady.

KnightDisciple
2009-05-29, 04:08 PM
Users are lazy. Tech support people are depressed from doing work for ignorant lazy users. It's very hard to stay motivated about answering the same question 90 times a day, especially when that question is answered in your documentation.

This. So very much this.