PDA

View Full Version : Well, I'm a little peeved

Berserk Monk
2009-05-26, 08:01 PM
I just learned about this art contest with a prizes of $1,200, and one grand prize of $3,000. The deadline isn't 'til Sept 1 (plenty of time to create several entrees). Now the reason I'm angry is that the contest seems to be bias against my style. The categories are oil, acrylic, watercolor, and mixed media. The first three are all painting (something I'm not too skilled at). As for mixed media: any 2 dimensional drawing using more than one medium. The mixed media one I can do and half a decent chance at (I'm only a sophomore and I'll probably be competing against thousands, also, I tend to stick with one medium for a piece). The real reason I kind of disappointed is the 2D part. I could easily enter my Rorschach mask made out of chainmail and win first prize. Hell, I'd have the fedora done by Sept 1 so I could enter them together. Oh well. Guess I'll just use some colored pencils and pens to make a drawing. I should practice with those any way. I'm an illustration major after all, but with chainmail I know I'd win something. With drawing, the odds are so good.

I'll may be showing some possible entrees in the arts and craft section of the threads for those who want to look my work. Wish me luck.

Blue Warlock
2009-05-26, 08:12 PM
No offense, but to say that this competition is biased against you for being an art competition that involves painting is well... Just a little silly. I can't draw or paint, so that means winning a competition like this would be out of the question for me. Should I say that this competition is biased against me because I have no talent? It's just the nature of the beast. If you don't like it, don't enter the competition or improve your painting skills.

That being said I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors and hope you bring back some cash. You could also consider this an opportunity to learn how to paint a little and try entering pieces. Then you might be able to get some pointers from the pros in the contest.

Innis Cabal
2009-05-26, 08:32 PM
No offense, but to say that this competition is biased against you for being an art competition that involves painting is well... Just a little silly. I can't draw or paint, so that means winning a competition like this would be out of the question for me. Should I say that this competition is biased against me because I have no talent? It's just the nature of the beast. If you don't like it, don't enter the competition or improve your painting skills.

Was about to say similar. Its not your field of expertise so its biased? Eh.

Berserk Monk
2009-05-26, 08:36 PM
Was about to say similar. Its not your field of expertise so its biased? Eh.

Yes. This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against me.

Joking aside, I wasn't being completely serious. I'm just saying it sucks for me.

Innis Cabal
2009-05-26, 09:25 PM
Joking aside, I wasn't being completely serious. I'm just saying it sucks for me.

We'll i'll agree with that.

Elm11
2009-05-27, 07:33 AM
Dare i ask, you're roscharch mask sounds awesome. Would you be able to pic it?

Berserk Monk
2009-05-27, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I created a whole thread for it like a few months back when I finished it. I continued to repost an image whenever relevant just because it's so awesome and I worked really hard on it (an entire month and around 100 hours). Here's another pic of it. It's my current desktop background.

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/berserkmonk/rorschach.jpg?t=1243473432

I'm currently trying to make the entire costume out of mail: fedora, scarf, gloves, trench coat. I'm hoping to have it done by Halloween 2010. Greatest, Most Badass Costume Ever!

Jacklu
2009-05-27, 09:18 PM
O_o that is awesome!

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-05-27, 09:25 PM
It would be cooler if you could make the spots change :smallamused:

Gorgondantess
2009-05-27, 10:23 PM
Yeah, I created a whole thread for it like a few months back when I finished it. I continued to repost an image whenever relevant just because it's so awesome and I worked really hard on it (an entire month and around 100 hours). Here's another pic of it. It's my current desktop background.

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/berserkmonk/rorschach.jpg?t=1243473432

I'm currently trying to make the entire costume out of mail: fedora, scarf, gloves, trench coat. I'm hoping to have it done by Halloween 2010. Greatest, Most Badass Costume Ever!

You forgot heaviest. Unless you're using aluminum, that trenchcoat alone could weigh upwards of 50 kilos. Doesn't sound like that much, but trust me, walk a mile wearing 50 kilos and you'll start to regret it...
Oh, and that also sounds really cool.:smalltongue:

Berserk Monk
2009-05-28, 12:20 AM
It would be cooler if you could make the spots change :smallamused:

How do you know they don't? It's a still photo after all.
No, they don't move. For that to be possible I'd have to be like a kyton.

You forgot heaviest. Unless you're using aluminum, that trenchcoat alone could weigh upwards of 50 kilos. Doesn't sound like that much, but trust me, walk a mile wearing 50 kilos and you'll start to regret it...
Oh, and that also sounds really cool.:smalltongue:

Kilo? Hey! This is America. You use pounds. Pounds or Doritos. I don't have time to convert to your elitist metric system.

As for weight, 50 kilos: what's that like 25-30 lb? Not that much weight. I've walked around in a 35 pound suit before.

Alteran
2009-05-28, 12:21 AM
One kilogram (kilo) is about 2.2 pounds, so a 50 kilo suit is about 110 pounds.

Berserk Monk
2009-05-28, 12:23 AM
One kilogram (kilo) is about 2.2 pounds, so a 50 kilo suit is about 110 pounds.

Yeah, no way it's gonna weigh close to half that.

Elm11
2009-05-28, 07:23 AM
That, is really really awesome :)