PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with this?

Stormthorn
2009-05-27, 12:17 AM
This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between searches. Please try again in 120 seconds.

Am i going crazy or is it telling me i preformed a search 0 seconds before my current one? (I didnt, btw)

Crispy Dave
2009-05-27, 12:28 AM
BUG!! smash it! smash it!

Rawhide
2009-05-27, 02:05 AM
Happens if you submit two searches at the exact same time, such as clicking the search button twice.

Serpentine
2009-05-27, 02:08 AM
Speaking of searches, why isn't the search coming up with anything older than, say, a day?
edit: Checked it yet again with a search for "recipes". It came up with three options, all of which were last posted in this month. I had the distinct impression that the thread purges were only going to effect the very earliest thread. Was this impression incorrect and everything beyond a few months ago? Even that doesn't make sense, because I'm sure that the word "recipes" has been used in the Friendly Banter thread a lot more than three times in the last few months.

Castaras
2009-05-27, 03:47 AM
I managed to search for and find all the UKitp threads... and they go back to July 07...

Although I can't remember if I searched manually for them or used the search function...

Quincunx
2009-05-27, 03:57 AM
Check the drop-down boxes that limit your searches by time and Older Than/Newer Than. It's not impossible that they were defaulted to 1 Month only, to trim demand on the server.

P.S. Google is awful when trying to deal with someone who's been quoted in a sig block.

Serpentine
2009-05-27, 08:57 AM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/search.gif
If you can find something I've done wrong, well, updating the Cookbook properly is more important to me than my pride *shrug*

Zherog
2009-05-27, 09:08 AM
Do you have an example (even a vague one) of what else you might expect to find?

NerfTW
2009-05-27, 09:09 AM
Well, you have it on "threads", not "posts", so you're only going to see the entire thread, not every individual usage in that thread.

But if you mean other threads aren't showing, have you tried looking for "recipe" singular?

edit- just tried it, and "recipe" comes up with four extra threads.

Serpentine
2009-05-27, 09:36 AM
You're right, it does come up with a few more. However, none beyond this year, and when I started the Cookbook thread the same search for "recipes" came up with several pages of threads. A search for "recipes" threads "one year and older" came up with nada. A search for "serpentine" threads "A year ago and older" comes up with zilch. "Threads started by Serpentine in Friendly Banter"... comes up with stuff from 2006! (My cat still eats charcoal, by the way)
Okay, I was starting to expect that nothing would come up earlier than this year, probably because a lot more of the past was purged than I thought. But this indicates otherwise... What's going on?!

edit: A search for "Serpentine" in Friendly Banter in threads made "any time" doesn't have anything past this year. I think there's something wrong with the key word search...

Mauve Shirt
2009-05-27, 10:01 AM
Try a google search of 'recipes site:giantitp.com'

Serpentine
2009-05-27, 10:10 AM
I know that's an option, but it'd be awful nice to have this problem here fixed, or at least explained.

Dr. Bath
2009-05-27, 10:15 AM
Try searching as Posts not threads? Maybe that would help, but I'm not sure. I can't really think of anything else.

Serpentine
2009-05-27, 10:19 AM
I just checked, it's the same deal.

V'icternus
2009-05-27, 10:23 AM
Well, I'd say that's either a scripting error, or was done on purpose to limit search time and bring down site lag. I'm sure that what you're searching for is there, but the site just doesn't want to look back too far.

Or, I could be wrong. I could be more wrong than you could possibly imagine... maybe.

Anyway, I'd just find a way around it for now.

NerfTW
2009-05-27, 02:37 PM
Are you positive the other threads are even there? Can you find them normally? They might have been purged, deleted, or moved.

Stormthorn
2009-06-03, 09:20 PM
Happens if you submit two searches at the exact same time, such as clicking the search button twice.

I didnt click the button twice. Trust me, its awefully hard to click too fast on my mouse.

Rawhide
2009-06-04, 04:31 AM
I didnt click the button twice. Trust me, its awefully hard to click too fast on my mouse.

And trust me when I say it is extremely easy to do. There are multiple ways of 'clicking' twice and some have nothing to do with your mouse or you.

When your mousebutton is just above the click sensor, the right (or wrong) movement can register two clicks accidentally. A key could have been touched that submitted the form before or after the mouseclick (enter for example). Your browser could have misloaded the page, bug out and submit it twice. A page could time out and the information is resubmitted. You might have refreshed the page after the data was submitted, causing it to resubmit the data.

Be aware that listing all of someone's posts counts as a search and will start the timer as well.

NerfTW
2009-06-04, 11:50 AM

Hmm, I must have posted this in another thread, but did you do this?

1. go to forum, want to find post.
2. Find post you know you posted in, click on your name and select "find all posts by this user"
3. sign in when prompted

At this point, a search request has already been sent to the server. Which means that the "click here if you are not automatically redirected" link that appears after signing in causes a second request, giving you the wait message. To avoid this, let your browser be redirected automatically if signing in from a search.

Nameless
2009-06-04, 02:10 PM
Why do you have to wait 120 seconds by the way? :smallconfused:

NerfTW
2009-06-04, 02:36 PM
To save server resources. Searches are CPU intensive. They don't want one person running a hundred searches bringing down the entire server.

PhoeKun
2009-06-04, 02:39 PM
Why do you have to wait 120 seconds by the way? :smallconfused:

Reduces strain on the server.

Also, promotes love and peace throughout the universe. Also also, solves world hunger. It's possible it will even eventually provide us with a comprehensive model of the universe, reality, and even unreality.

But we're not sure yet. We'll have to keep waiting in 120 second intervals.

NerfTW
2009-06-04, 04:54 PM
It used to be five minutes. Be thankful it was lowered.

BlueWizard
2009-06-04, 07:30 PM
Accidental button pushing gets me at times.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-06-04, 08:31 PM
I find it most annoying when I misspell a search term. Then I gotta wait before trying again. :smallannoyed: