PDA

View Full Version : Magic item: Bell of Alarm (PEACH)

Altair_the_Vexed
2006-04-06, 04:38 PM
Bell of Alarm (Wondrous)
A brass hand bell which is magically connected to another remote bell or bells, ringing whenever any of the set is rung deliberately (any person purposefully attempts to make the bell chime). The Bell can be rung once per round. The different Bells of the set cause rings of different pitch, so the keeper of the chiming Bell can be known. Each of the Bells only functions if on the same Plane as the originating Bell, but no other range is a factor.
If set in a camp, the Bell can once per day be used to cast Alarm as if it were a 3rd level caster. The Bell is the centre of the spell. The audible alarm is as listed, not the sound of the Bell’s chime.
This magic item is commonly found among allies who wish to alert each other of trouble or summon one another.
If randomly placed as treasure, roll 1d3-1 for the number of other Bells found with the item; or roll 1d6 for the number of extant Bells in the set, selecting the keepers of the other Bells by rolling on the NPC generation table.
(Caster level: 4th, Prerequisites – Creator Level 5th, Craft: Wondrous Item, Alarm. Value: Set of Bells 3,748gp per Bell / Single Bell 2,000gp [single bells are less valuable])

[edit: finished]

Jothki
2006-04-06, 04:45 PM
Bear in mind that it can also be used for communication, if a code is established.

Seffbasilisk
2006-04-06, 04:46 PM
Seems like a cool way to keep the look-outs in the loop even on foggy days. ;D

22,480gp by the table ( http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItemsCreation.html ) using caster level 4, and alarm as a 1st level spell.

Edit: Doesn't seem to be that precise...at least from what I got. Not ring ring ring ring RIIIING, just ringing randomly.

Altair_the_Vexed
2006-04-06, 04:49 PM
I don't want it to be used like a telegraph...
*thinks*

Okay - what if it can only be rung once per round? That way, you'd take a minute to transmit a single letter of cypher. In any case, it would preclude anything but the simplest of codes: "Help!" "You're in danger." Even these would need to be sent over the course of several rounds.

Modified my OP.

Altair_the_Vexed
2006-04-06, 04:52 PM
Seems like a cool way to keep the look-outs in the loop even on foggy days. ;D

22,480gp by the table ( http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItemsCreation.html ) using caster level 4, and alarm as a 1st level spell.

Edit: Doesn't seem to be that precise...at least from what I got. Not ring ring ring ring RIIIING, just ringing randomly.

That's REALLY expensive!
Hmmm... I want these to be readily available to a city. Could that price be used for a set of say, six? I mean, they all get made at once, so as to be linked. That'd be affordable for the over-worked City Watch.