PDA

View Full Version : Based on another topic... Keyblade! (PEACH)

Yuki Akuma
2006-04-22, 04:18 AM
Keyblade (minor artifact)

Keyblades are mystical weapons designed to fight against the darkness. Each keyblade resembles (somewhat vaguely, in a few cases) a large key, around the size of longsword or bastard sword. Keyblades are attracted to hearts, and are an anethma to creatures that have lost theirs. Keyblades tend to imprint on certain individuals, and are very hard to part from them once they do.

Keyblades have many forms, and come in many shapes and sizes. All keyblades, however, have the following abilities in common:

Heartless bane: A keyblade is treated as a bane weapon when combating a creature that has lost its heart, and also bypasses any material-based damage reduction the creature has. Generally this applies to heartless and nobodies, although it can also affect undead without an intelligence score. This has no effect on creatures that didn't have a heart to start with, such as most aberrations.
Knock: A keyblade can be used to unlock (or lock, if the wielder wishes) any door, chest, portal or other opening, as per the knock spell cast by a twentieth level caster. To use this ability the wielder must tap the offending lock with the keyblade twice in rapid succession, which requires a move-equivalent action to perform correctly.
Seal plane: A keyblade can 'lock' a plane, making planar travel impossible within a small area. This functions exactly like the planar anchor psionic power, manifested by a twentieth level manifester. This ability can also be used to lock the 'heart' of a plane, making it inaccesible to Heartless.

Keyblades, in their 'default' form, are nothing more than sparkling light. A keyblade needs certain items, called keychains, in order to manifest itself physically. Any wielder with a keychain can solidify the keyblade just as if they were drawing a weapon. A keyblade in its non-physical state can still use its knock power, but not its seal plane power.

When a keyblade is swung, it 'tests' the wielders heart and soul. If it finds this heart distasteful, it teleports immediately back to the previous wielder. Keyblades generally find Good souls more tasteful; a Good-aligned creature must make a DC 10 Will save to keep the weapon after the first swing. A neutral creature has a harder time of it, requiring it to make a DC 15 Will save. Evil creatures must make a DC 20 Will save in order to keep the weapon. Once a creature has passed this save, it is forever more treated as the keyblades master. If the keyblade is ever stolen from the master, the master can call it back at any time as a full-round action. The keyblade will do its best to return, either by flying through the air or teleporting.

If two wielders have succeeded to Will save to keep a specific keyblade, they can make opposed charisma checks to win back the keyblade. Good creatures gain a +2 bonus to this check. The winner is treated as the keyblade's current master, and may call it back if the keyblade is currently in the losers possession. However, the loser can still use the keyblade without having to make further Will saves.

Keychains

Keychains are just what one would expect; chains designed to keep keys together, generally with a colourful motif. When attached to a keyblade, the keyblade takes on a physical form and gains certain properties based on the keychain used.

Kingdom
This keychain resembles a stylised mouse's head, consisting of three flat discs melded together. This is the most basic of all keychains, forming the keyblade into a +1 club strongly resembling a silver key.

Pumpkinhead
This keychain resembles a small, bright orange pumpkin. When attached to a keyblade, the weapon becomes a +2 longsword, resembling a black key apparently made out of cast iron.

Oathkeeper
This colourful keychain resembles a star or some sort of coral, and radiates calm when held. The keyblade it creatures is just as colourful, with the same star motif. Oathkeeper turns a keyblade into a +3 holy longsword, which grants a +2 bonus to either intelligence, charisma or wisdom, depending on the desires of the wielder when the keyblade is called. To change the bonus, the keychain must be detached and reatached.

Oblivion
This jet black keychain seems to suck the light out of the air around it, constantly making itself appear dull. When used on a keyblade, the weapon forms into a +3 unholy short sword, although it deals damage as if it were one size larger than it actually is (1d8 in the case of a medium-sized keyblade). Oblivion, unlike most unholy weapons, never bestows negative levels on its wielder.

Ultima
Resembling a white heart, this keychain is one of the most powerful. It forms a keyblade into a +5 keen bastard sword, and also grants a +2 bonus to one mental ability score (as Oathkeeper). Unlike most other keyblades, Ultima actually resembles a sword.

I'm planning on making more keychains, but that's the best I could do in the half hour since I saw the thread that inspired me. Heh...

InaVegt
2006-04-22, 04:23 AM
Spellbinder
this keychain (that looks like a little book) transforms the keyblade into a +2 spellstoring handaxe and gives the wielder of the keyblade an aditional spell of her highest level

firepup
2006-07-14, 12:29 AM
iron chocobo

this keychain resembles a chicken made entirely out of iron, when attached to a keyblade, it acts as a +3 club, the iron chocobo is thicker than many of the keyblades forms and while the keychain is attached the keyblade appears to be iron except for it's gaurd which is yellow

Thray
2006-07-14, 12:32 AM
When a keyblade is swung, it 'tests' the wielders heart and soul. If it finds this heart distasteful, it teleports immediately back to the previous wielder. Keyblades generally find Good souls more tasteful; a Good-aligned creature must make a DC 10 Will save to keep the weapon after the first swing. A neutral creature has a harder time of it, requiring it to make a DC 15 Will save. Evil creatures must make a DC 20 Will save in order to keep the weapon. Once a creature has passed this save, it is forever more treated as the keyblades master. If the keyblade is ever stolen from the master, the master can call it back at any time as a full-round action. The keyblade will do its best to return, either by flying through the air or teleporting.

Shouldn't it be a move action to summon the keyblade? From KHII, Sora was able to call the keyblade and then immediately strike Roxas with it.

knightsaline
2006-07-17, 11:38 PM
one winged angel

the keychain looks like a white angels wing. when attatched to a keyblade, the keyblade seems to turn into a long angels wing. this gives the wielder the ability to fly (perfect manuverability) the distance they would normally move. the keyblade is treated as a +4 holy weapon.
any other suggestions for this keychain?

X15lm204
2006-07-17, 11:54 PM
I'm surprised The Logic Ninja hasn't started foaming at the mouth yet. Careful, guys, too many Final Fantasy related threads in one day and he might actually bite someone. ;D

Tack122
2006-07-18, 12:01 AM
This would be interesting in a campign, seems to me that a medium focus of the quests in the game would be to get new keychains, they dont seem like something you can just buy from a vendor

Thray
2006-07-18, 12:03 AM
This would be interesting in a campign, seems to me that a medium focus of the quests in the game would be to get new keychains, they dont seem like something you can just buy from a vendor

Nah, people you help just happen to have keychains and give them to you once you save their town/city/universe.

knightsaline
2006-07-18, 12:15 AM
Nah, people you help just happen to have keychains and give them to you once you save their town/city/universe.

that or defeat really powerful monsters. sora had to defeat sephiroth to get the one winged angel

Thray
2006-07-18, 12:16 AM
that or defeat really powerful monsters. sora had to defeat sephiroth to get the one winged angel
True. And I guess I'm also ignoring all the synthesis stuff, with the Ultimate Weapon. Never underestimate the power of greedy moogles!

Jothki
2006-07-18, 01:17 AM
Except for the ultimate one, it seems like a keychain reflects a bond the wielder gains with another person. I doubt that the original objects had any power before their use as keychains, if they even existed at all. It seems like they mostly spontaneously appear.

Behold_the_Void
2006-07-18, 02:53 AM
Do you have any idea how much I want to DM a Kingdom Hearts game because of this thread?

knightsaline
2006-07-18, 03:53 AM
heres one from Chain of Memories

soul eater
this keychain makes the keyblade look like a stretched, black demons wing. it has the following properties. +variable modifier to attack (i'll explain later why this is so), souldrinking dark weapon. when this keychain is attached, the DCs for becoming the master of the keyblade are reversed (DC 20 for good characters, DC15 for neutral characters and DC 10 for evil characters) due to the darkness within the keychain.

now for why the + variable. souldrinking is a weird property where the weapon gains power depending on how many souls the weapon has consumed. for every 20 monsters slain by this weapon (must actually land the finishing blow), the modifier goes up by +1. in the case of an antimagic field, the modifier is treated as masterwork. souldrinking is an inherintly evil property and requires the soul of a cleric or wizard in order to activate it (basically a focused magic user, although at a pinch, a druid or sorcerer could do). the ability is capped at +5, but feel free to make it higher if in an epic campaign. when a weapon with this property appears in an adventure, the DM secretly rolls a D% die. rolls of 0 and 100 are disregarded, a souldrinking weapon always has one soul, yet never, ever appears with full souls

i got the idea of souldrinking from the war of the spider queen book number four where a character finds an axe that the surface "seems to swirl with the souls of those it had slain"

tell me if this property is overpowered.

*edit* added the modifier cap and the DM roll

PMDM
2006-07-18, 05:17 AM
Of course that's over powered. The characters would never need another sword again. All the have to do is kill monsters, and the equipment levels up with them. That leaves them with a ton of gold that they would have otherwise spent on a weapon, putting them way above the standard wealth level, and making the CRs usless. Plus, it's really easy to destroy, to. I'm the BBEG wizard. I sunder you're weapon. Now you don't have a potential +99 to hit anymore.

knightsaline
2006-07-18, 05:50 AM
Of course that's over powered. The characters would never need another sword again. All the have to do is kill monsters, and the equipment levels up with them. That leaves them with a ton of gold that they would have otherwise spent on a weapon, putting them way above the standard wealth level, and making the CRs usless. Plus, it's really easy to destroy, to. I'm the BBEG wizard. I sunder you're weapon. Now you don't have a potential +99 to hit anymore.

the ability would be capped at + 5. and as I said before they have to land the finishing blow. meaning that they have to kill the monster, not just damage it a little, hang back and claim its soul. there is another way that the weapon could be weakened, monsters that eat souls. make it a rule that while the PC carries the weapon, they attract monsters who wish to dine on your collection. if the weapon is dropped, the monster will try to eat/drink its essence.

TSGames
2006-07-18, 10:26 AM
Actually, didn't Sora get Fenrir from beating Sephiroth?

Jothki
2006-07-18, 10:31 AM
Is Soul Eater even a keyblade? Way to the Dawn is a keyblade, but it's a modified version of Soul Eater, not Soul Eater itself.

Yuki Akuma
2006-07-18, 10:39 AM
Woah. When did I post this?!

Do you have any idea how much I want to DM a Kingdom Hearts game because of this thread?

Can I play? ;D

TamerBill
2006-07-18, 12:07 PM

April 22nd. 'Twas necroed by firehound.

Aribar
2006-07-18, 01:01 PM
Well, if you don't mind any more replies, I made a few more Keyblades. Not sure exactly how balanced some of them are, and I used a 3.0 DMG and PHB, so... Here we go!

Bond of Flame
An eight-spiked silver sun on a grey chain makes up this Keyblade's keychain. When attached to the Keyblade a red, black, and white +2 flaming heavy mace is made. Any spell or ability that deals fire damage gains an additonal dice of damage.

Decisive Pumpkin
A picture of Jack Skellington's dog, Zero, is the keychain for this blade. When attached to the keyblade a red and white scary forms the blade of this +2 longsword. When using a Full Attack this keyblade acts as a +4 longsword on the last attack. (Unofficial: You gain a -10 penalty on all charisma-related checks for having such an ugly keyblade)

Diamond Dust
The keychain has a blue and white snowflake attached to a golden chain. When attached to the Keyblade it creates a curved blade made of ice that acts as a +2 frost scimitar. Any spell or ability that deals cold damage gains an additonal dice of damage.

Fenrir
A small grey coin on a black chain is this blade's keychain. When it is attached to the Keyblade a thick sword with cloth wrappings at the bottom is created. It is treated as a +4 bastard sword. If you use a Full Attack you get one less attack than you normally would. When held this Keyblade allows you to use the Power Attack feat even if you don't meet the prerequisties.

Guardian Soul
This Keyblade has a miniaturized jug for its keychain. When attached to the Keyblade a large red and black +3 longsword forms. When you use this Keyblade for an attack of oppertunity it acts as a +4 keen longsword.

Olympia
A golden coin with the symbol of lightning coming out of a cloud attached to a black chain is this blade's keychain. When it is attached to the Keyblade it forms a thick white and black +2 warhammer with 'HERCULES' engraved upon the blade.

Photon Debugger
A small replica of Tron's disk serves as the keychain for this Keyblade. When it is attached to the Keyblade a neon blue blade with a red orb at the top forms. This blade acts as a +2 shock heavy mace . Any spell or ability that deals electricity damage gains an additonal dice of damage.

Sleeping Lion
A grey lion head on a chain is the keychain for this blade. When attached to the Keyblade a sleek +2 longsword forms. When using a Full Attack you gain an additonal attack at a -5 penalty.

Wishing Star
This keychain is a golden star. When attached to the Keyblade a +2 club with gears and pieces of metal jury-rigged togther forms. If you use a Full Attack the last hit of the combo gains a +1 bonus to its Critical Threat range.

I remember reading on one of the d20 gaming forums at Wizard's boards a Kingdom Hearts system... Not sure where it was at now, though. Also, this post has showed me that it's been a while since I played KH2! Forgot what the keyblades looked like and there's no pictures of the KH2 ones on the internet it seems. Heh.

Edit: Found some grammar errors.

Yuki Akuma
2006-07-18, 01:11 PM
...I so need to play KH2.

Edit: Also, I'm considering giving the wielders of keyblades auto-proficiency with them. Maybe the skillful weapon ability...

anphorus
2006-07-18, 01:35 PM
Is Soul Eater even a keyblade? Way to the Dawn is a keyblade, but it's a modified version of Soul Eater, not Soul Eater itself.

I'm about 400% sure that Soul Eater is not a keyblade. Riku had it before he even remet Sora after leaving the island. It's just an odd shaped sword.

knightsaline
2006-07-18, 07:27 PM
Actually, didn't Sora get Fenrir from beating Sephiroth?

the one winged angel keyblade was from kingdom hearts : final mix. according to gameFAQs on the topic of the one winged angel KB, you get it after beating sephiroth. this keyblade made its "official" debut in COM as one of soras cards.

diamond dust is the same, beat ice titan instead of sephiroth.

are we limited to "official" keyblades, or can we make some up? i have some ideas for a mario keyblade....

Yuki Akuma
2006-07-18, 07:33 PM
Make them up. If this artifact was ever used in an actual game, I doubt the DM could get away with usiing Sora's keychains. I doubt there's more than one Oathkeeper or Oblivion, for example...

Behold_the_Void
2006-07-19, 02:23 AM
I think part of the property of the keyblade itself is that the chosen wielder is proficient with it. It may even permit them to take certain generally fighter-only feats with it.

Can I play? ;D

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=play_ooc;action=display;num=11532913 70;start=0#0

;)

knightsaline
2006-07-19, 02:33 AM
heres the mario keyblade i mentioned earlier

super mushroom
unlike most keychains, this one does not give special attack options or even an attack bonus. this keychain can be equipped with another keychan. when this keychain is attached, the weilder gains the ability to make herself or a willing target, as the cleric spell enlarge person

poison mushroom
same as above, except the spell is reduce person

some backstory to allow all of soras keychains
sora, after defeating the nobodies and heartless, wandered the multiverse, looking for adventure. he managed to find out about a world of infinite adventures. after much searching, sora found the world of greyhawk (i think thats the name of the default setting) (adapt for the campaign setting you are using). unfortunately, he somehow lost his keyblade and his keychains. the one winged angel, having great holy potential, was rescued from the dragons stash of treasure by an astral deva.

feel free to make up stories on how powerful monsters came upon the keytchains, maybe a frost giant managed to find the diamond dust keychain?

how the dickens could you put in the soul eater keyblade? last i checked, riku had it. maybe riku and sora went adventuring together?