PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Invisibility and Undead?

Zergrusheddie
2009-05-27, 08:10 PM
Does Invisibility work against Undead? I remember reading about it but I can't seem to find it now.

Best of luck
-Eddie

Rhiannon87
2009-05-27, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure off-hand, but either way, there's always this little gem of a spell to solve your problem: Hide From Undead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hideFromUndead.htm). It's a first level cleric spell, affects 1 creature/level for 10 minutes/level. Works quite well.

Recaiden
2009-05-27, 08:47 PM
It works against them unless they have blindsight or lifesight. Almost no undead have those, so yes, it does.

Hide from Undead works well too.

Zeta Kai
2009-05-27, 09:14 PM
Wow, in all my years DMing, I've never used hide from undead or had used it on me. I'd completely forgotten its existence. I've even run zompocalypse campaigns & never even saw it. Weird. :smallredface:

Well, now that I have seen it. I don't like it. It's too low-level, & (like a paladin's fearlessness) it takes the punch out of a creepy atmosphere. What does WotC have against a little ambiance? :smallannoyed:

Sinfire Titan
2009-05-27, 09:19 PM
Wow, in all my years DMing, I've never used hide from undead or had used it on me. I'd completely forgotten its existence. I've even run zompocalypse campaigns & never even saw it. Weird. :smallredface:

Well, now that I have seen it. I don't like it. It's too low-level, & (like a paladin's fearlessness) it takes the punch out of a creepy atmosphere. What does WotC have against a little ambiance? :smallannoyed:

Welcome to Core 3.5, the most broken splatbook in history. The only book that comes close to this kind of cheese is Serpent Kingdoms, but enabling Pun-Pun only gets you so far...

AzazelSephiroth
2009-05-27, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by Zeta Kai
Wow, in all my years DMing, I've never used hide from undead or had used it on me. I'd completely forgotten its existence. I've even run zompocalypse campaigns & never even saw it. Weird.

Well, now that I have seen it. I don't like it. It's too low-level, & (like a paladin's fearlessness) it takes the punch out of a creepy atmosphere. What does WotC have against a little ambiance?

If you are describing the right scene and use some clever imagery than even a "fearless" Paladin can get the shivers... just because the Player's character is fearless doesn't mean the Player won't hesitate to send him running into the empty room from whence he hears the screams of all those he has defeated before or maybe his childhood friends and companions are all looking at him from within a mirror and yet behind him nothing. Remember, the idea is not for your chracters to "be afraid" all the time. The idea is for them to have fun. :smallwink:

LurkerInPlayground
2009-05-27, 09:38 PM

D&D is not a horror game by default but a exploratory dungeon-crawling game?

It doesn't seem hard to simply ban the spell.

Devils_Advocate
2009-05-28, 12:07 AM
Things can be scary when you're invisible. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0656.html) They probably already are, for you to be concealing yourself in the first place. Having to make your way invisibly through a bunch of dangerous monsters is probably one of the most unnerving ways to have to hide form them.

Tip-toeing carefully by hideous, putrid creatures, seeing their lifeless eyes, hearing their soulless groans up close...

That lacks creepy ambiance?