PDA

View Full Version : Legend of Bagger Vance...I get it!

Stormthorn
2009-05-27, 09:24 PM
I remember once vaguely remembering a professor telling me that the relationship between the caddy and Rannulph Junuh was that of Lord Vishnu and some other guy.
I wasnt really listening and i hadnt seen the movie.

Now, having just watched for the first time, it makes sense.

Baghavan Vishnu and Arjuna // Bagger Vance and R. Juna

Whoa. Golf is like...deep.

Fri
2009-05-27, 09:49 PM
Holy ****. I know about the bhagavad githa reference since I got the novel first and it just choke full of philosophy and and spiritual journey, and I've read the original mahabarata epic, but never realized that R Junuh is a 'pun' of Arjuna and Bagger Vance is one of Baghavan Vishnu!

Killer Angel
2009-05-28, 02:33 AM
Baghavan Vishnu and Arjuna // Bagger Vance and R. Juna

Good call... i'm impressed.
Now, I want to rewatch the film!

reorith
2009-05-28, 11:52 PM
whoa! and i just realized neo's name is an anagram of "one." not only that but in the wizard of oz, oz is in color because it is a dream and kansas is shot in grey to reflect the vast ennui of dorothy's mundane life. and john connor and the resistance are analogues for jesus christ and the disciples.

tl;dr
imho, revelations about movies more than five years after they come out doesn't enhance the viewing experience.

Stormthorn
2009-05-29, 12:20 AM
whoa! and i just realized neo's name is an anagram of "one." not only that but in the wizard of oz, oz is in color because it is a dream and kansas is shot in grey to reflect the vast ennui of dorothy's mundane life. and john connor and the resistance are analogues for jesus christ and the disciples.

tl;dr
imho, revelations about movies more than five years after they come out doesn't enhance the viewing experience.

It does if its the first time you have seen it. As i mentioned in the OP that i can only assume you bothered to read. And, as you may notice from the other posts here, its easy to miss. The four people i watched the movie with didnt know a damn thing about its conneciton to hindu myth.

You also just spoiled Terminator for me.

ALSO, as is my new tradition when i see folk like you.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/myfask/258Troll_spray.jpg

Construct
2009-06-03, 03:58 AM
This lends a certain irony to Will Smith's claim that he took the role of Bagger Vance in order to play smaller parts :smalltongue:

Jimor
2009-06-03, 05:07 AM
It's not trolling as such, but a term I heard on another board fits (modified for GITP rules): thread crapping.

It's like the guy who jumped in my thread about Susan Boyle's amazing performance on Britain's Got Talent just to say very loudly how much he hated shows like that, which then led to an argument that got the thread locked.

It's not even a matter of disagreeing with the OP, just using the opportunity to make an off-topic point that often derails the thread. Another example is people who go into computer problem threads just to post "You should change to [OSMyFavorite]" rather than actually give helpful advice. It's the one negative behavior that permeates GITP that really bothers me. :smallsigh:

Artemician
2009-06-03, 07:51 AM
Saying that the connection the OP made is incredibly obvious and also unimportant is a valid statement to make, especially since you could have got this information from Wikipedia since way back from last year.

If you think that's trolling, boy, have I got some bad news for you...

Anteros
2009-06-03, 09:23 PM

tl;dr

Somewhat like how derailing a thread for the sole purpose of self righteous grand-standing doesn't enhance the thread?

Stormthorn
2009-06-03, 09:42 PM
Saying that the connection the OP made is incredibly obvious and also unimportant is a valid statement to make, especially since you could have got this information from Wikipedia since way back from last year.

If you think that's trolling, boy, have I got some bad news for you...

That your being a jerk? I know.

Hmm...that might seem abrupt. Let me explain by becoming rightfully defensive.

Your point may well be valid but why the hell would i make a thread if i got the info on wikipedia? What are you trying to imply about me and the other few people who just now figured it out? Is it that we are idiots or just dishonost?

Artemician
2009-06-03, 11:36 PM
That your being a jerk? I know.

Hmm...that might seem abrupt. Let me explain by becoming rightfully defensive.

Your point may well be valid but why the hell would i make a thread if i got the info on wikipedia? What are you trying to imply about me and the other few people who just now figured it out? Is it that we are idiots or just dishonost?
As he said, it's like telling people that Neo is an anagram for One. Or that Gotham City in the Dark Knight is intentionally made to look like Chicago. It's an incredibly easy connection to make; what you said and more is freely available on a very popular website. The fact that you consider it a big enough deal to make a thread about it, even while not having done your research and/or analysis beyond the incredibly obvious is damning.

Jimor
2009-06-04, 12:18 AM
As he said, it's like telling people that Neo is an anagram for One. Or that Gotham City in the Dark Knight is intentionally made to look like Chicago. It's an incredibly easy connection to make; what you said and more is freely available on a very popular website. The fact that you consider it a big enough deal to make a thread about it, even while not having done your research and/or analysis beyond the incredibly obvious is damning.

The first 2 responses were from people who HADN'T ever heard that, and found it something interesting to discuss. I hadn't heard about it either, and I had to live through the hype of the book while working in a bookstore.

Offering a countering point of view would be on-topic and potentially interesting. Coming in to just say "Obvious thread is obvious" is simply rude and uncalled for. If the thread is something that has been overdone on this board or inappropriate, tell a mod. If all somebody has to add is sarcasm, then maybe that thread isn't meant for them.

Fri
2009-06-04, 01:08 AM
Sorry, arty. There's just never been an explanation in wikipedia about the 'pun' of bagger vance and bagavhan vishnu and r juhn and arjuna. If there is, I should know from a long time ago, since I'm a wikipedia junkie.

Fri
2009-06-04, 01:13 AM
Sorry, arty. There's just never been an explanation in wikipedia about the 'pun' of bagger vance and bagavhan vishnu and r juhn and arjuna. If there is, I should know from a long time ago, since I'm a wikipedia junkie.

I only knew about the relation between bagger vance and baghavad gita because I talked about it with a friend of mine who's got this mythology and spiritualism hobby.

I have this ritual of wikipedia-ing book and movies after I read/watch them, you know. Well, maybe after you said that, I should add googling to my ritual.

Artemician
2009-06-04, 02:11 AM

I only knew about the relation between bagger vance and baghavad gita because I talked about it with a friend of mine who's got this mythology and spiritualism hobby.

I have this ritual of wikipedia-ing book and movies after I read/watch them, you know. Well, maybe after you said that, I should add googling to my ritual.
Reading the wiki pages give you a link to a webpage that says "Buddhist interpretation of The Legend of Bagger Vance", where this quote is presented quite clearly.

Bagger Vance, a caddie who helps World War I hero Rannulph Junah find his “authentic” swing on a Savannah golf course in 1931, is one of a kind. More than a helper with a few words of great golf advice, Bagger Vance is a fictionalized version of Bhagavan, the supreme Hindu god. And Rannulph Junah isn’t just a golfer from Savannah, Georgia. He is a fictionalized version of Arjuna, the mortal whom Bhagavan assists in the Hindu scriptural epic, the Bhagavad-Gita.

Serpentine
2009-06-04, 02:55 AM
Saying "you should have known this already" doesn't add anything to the discussion and just makes you look snarky, arrogant and a bit of a wanker. Saying "yeah, this is pretty well-known, and you can find more information on it here, here and here" would, and makes you look knowledgable, well-read and helpful.

Artemician
2009-06-04, 03:11 AM
Saying "you should have known this already" doesn't add anything to the discussion and just makes you look snarky, arrogant and a bit of a wanker. Saying "yeah, this is pretty well-known, and you can find more information on it here, here and here" would, and makes you look knowledgable, well-read and helpful.
Saying that something is well known is, in effect, saying that you should have known this already.

But I do get your point.

Look OP, there's a LOT more information on this topic in that link at the bottom of that wikipedia page.

Stormthorn
2009-06-05, 02:41 PM

Wait? Research? Why are we bringing research into this?

And its not that well known. I decided to prove that by asking a few people around where i live.

Out of 6 people who had seen the movie when i asked them, only one had any idea of what i was talking about.

Now im going to ask how many people know that Neo is an anagram of One. Im willing to bet its everyone who has seen the movie.

While the information might have been obvious to you it isnt to 90% of the public out there.
I apologize for not realize this before ever having seen the movie although i dont know why i would have known.

Look OP, there's a LOT more information on this topic in that link at the bottom of that wikipedia page.
Ok! Im sorry for not being an expert on easten religions.
Im sorry for not knowing this before watching the movie.
Im sorry i found it interesting and, noticing that no one around me when i watched it with friend got it, decided to share.
I should have known that everyone on this website would already know that. Ok! Happy now?! Your smarter than me! I admit it. I did only take one college course on world religion and mythology. Im sure you have much more education under your belt.

Finn Solomon
2009-06-05, 07:40 PM
I like that a Hollywood movie draws on an Eastern classic for inspiration.

Keldrin
2009-06-08, 02:53 PM
Thank you Stormthorn for posting that, I didn't know that, nor would I have gone to Wikipedia to look for it. A fun bit of trivia to share.

GrandMasterMe
2009-06-13, 10:28 PM
Gotham City in the Dark Knight is intentionally made to look like Chicago.
As long as we are being snarky, It wasn't intentionally made to look like Chicago so much as it was filmed, in Chicago. An easy connection to make when one of the most climatic moments of the movie, the flipping of the semi, was shot on a very popular street that thousands frequent.:smalltongue:

Mordar
2009-06-15, 04:06 PM
Thank you Stormthorn for posting that, I didn't know that, nor would I have gone to Wikipedia to look for it. A fun bit of trivia to share.

And I, for one, have now choosen to put the film on my Netflix queue when I had not, prior to this thread, considered it. So, if I enjoy it, thanks. If I don't, I want my 126 minutes back! :)

- M

Simanos
2009-06-16, 06:51 AM
whoa! and i just realized neo's name is an anagram of "one."
Actually "neo" is Greek for "new". The Matrix was full of Greek names.:smallcool: