PDA

View Full Version : Optimising the Dungeon Lord

Heliomance
2009-05-28, 06:55 AM
Dungeon Lord is a rather interesting PrC from Dungeonscape. Restricted to aberrations, dragons, fey, magical beasts, monstrous humanoids, outsiders, undead, goblinoids and kobolds, and requiring you to stay in one dungeon complex or lose your powers, it grants some rather nifty powers over said dungeon complex. It seems to be mostly attribute independent, though one of the abilities has uses/day keyed off int. I was wondering how best to optimise this under any of the following conditions:

ECL 12
ECL 20
Any race with listed LA
Any SRD race with listed LA
Under the restriction that you must be able to pass for a normal humanoid.
Forgotten Realms and general material only

It requires spellcasting or any (Sp) or (Su) ability, but doesn't advance casting, so I suspect racial abilities are the way to go. I think the easiest way in is to use one of the Planetouched - very nicely gives you Outsider type and a single spell-like ability. Then the only outstanding non-RP requirement is BAB +5.

jcsw
2009-05-28, 08:04 AM
The dungeonlord seems to be unable to do much else outside his dungeon, so our purposes are drastically different from normal PCs. In fact, they might be considered antithetical to PCs, that is to say, we should build to counter traditional PCs.

---
Level 12 Kobold Artificer 7/Dungeonlord 5
- Dragonwrought is optional
- Qualifies for Dungeonlord's Spell-like requirement using Draconic Rite of Passage

Feats of note: Fell Conspiracy (Exemplars of Evil)

Now, this class has few mechanical advantages, it requires on minions and etc for the kill. However, lets look at some of the things on our side:

1. Immunity to own traps, now, lets look at some of the more dangerous traps.
- Glyph Seal (MiC) Rune Circle (RoS). For 125gp you can store a single spell of level 2 and below. You're an artificer, so the cost is even cheaper. You can afford to line your dungeon with traps, use grease for the lulz, or get more creative with strategically placed lesser celerity traps, combine this with an entire dungeon of tucker-esque narrow passageways and the PCs will cry. Greater Glyph Seal Rune Circles are 500gp.

2. Fell Conspiracy, your allies are never flat footed unless all of them are. Combine this with a +2 stacking bonus to listen and spot for every kobold minion in your dungeon, and you have enough spot to see invisible creatures. They all have telepathy with each other, so now you have a non-DM fiat reason for super-coordinated strikes. Maybe add mindsight(LoM) so you always know the position of all your minions.

3. All allies can move freely through squares. Cover your entire dungeon with heavy rubble, limit all PCs movement to 1/4 whilst your minions are zipping around.

4. Know if dust has been disturbed... COVER EVERYTHING WITH DUST. Make it hang in the air!

5. Open and close doors as a free action... I dunno, get creative. Trapdoors, maybe have really heavy doors.

Heliomance
2009-05-28, 09:47 AM
Actually, is there any race with an ECL <=7 that has casting based on hit dice? That might help the Dungeon Lord be a threat in itself.

jcsw
2009-05-28, 10:04 AM
Templates. Half-Fey, Phrenic, etc.

Anything else has disgusting LA.

Emy
2009-05-28, 10:21 AM
2. Fell Conspiracy

Heh, I suggested the same thing over on 339. Yeah, it's quite good.

Actually, is there any race with an ECL <=7 that has casting based on hit dice? That might help the Dungeon Lord be a threat in itself.

Based on its hit dice? As far as I know, that's only the Phaerimm (which is broken).

But for a normal casting ECL <=7 race, there's the ECL6 Wyrmling Steel Dragon (4 hit dice, 2 LA). It casts as a level 1 sorcerer, with cleric spells plus a couple domains as arcane spells. With the Loredrake archetype (Dragons of Eberron) that could be level 3 sorcerer casting, without the ability to cast cleric spells as arcane spells.

For SLAs and the like, you may want to take a look at this thread (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1154814). The character in that one is a humanoid, but you might be able to use a trick or two from there.

jcsw
2009-05-28, 11:15 AM
Heh, if you had a DM willing to play solo with you (try PbP...), you could actually run tucker's kobolds against the DM... take the Landlord feat so you can afford your dungeon and then go to town.