PDA

View Full Version : My Neighbor Totoro D20

Zeta Kai
2009-05-28, 07:47 AM
http://www.concretebadger.net/images/blog/oavs-and-movies/my-neighbour-totoro-3.jpg
A chibi-totoro (along with a chu-totoro, far right), running away from a curious little girl.

Chibi-Totoro
Diminutive Fey
Hit Dice: 1d6 (3HP)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20’ (4 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+4 size, +2 Dex); touch 16; flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-13
Attack: N/A
Full Attack: N/A
Space/Reach: 1’/0’
Special Attacks: Spell-like Abilities
Special Qualities: Fey traits
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +4, Will +3
Abilities: Str 8 (-1), Dex 15 (+2), Con 10 (+0), Int 11 (+0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 17 (+3)
Skills: Hide +20, Jump +3, Listen +5, Move Silently +8, Perform (wind instruments) +7, Spot +5
Feats: Stealthy
Environment: temperate forests & plains
Organization: solitary or gathering (1 O-Totoro & 1d4 other Totoros)
Challenge Rating: ⅓
Treasure: N/A
Alignment: usually Chaotic Good
Advancement: N/A
Level Adjustment: N/A

The little creature before you is cover in white fur, & stands erect on two seemingly-legless feet. It appears almost featureless, except for its stubby tail & the prominent ears atop its head. Two wide eyes look about in wonder, but no other facial features can be seen.

The smallest of the totoros, the little creature known as a chibi-totoro (CHEE-bee TOH-toh-roh) is a spirit of the forest. Somewhat resembling a white rabbit, chibis are rarely seen, & are often mistaken for more mundane animals when they are spotted. They spend most of their time wandering their chosen woodlands, tending the plants, cultivating the land, & protecting their territory from defiling influences. They will sometimes sabotage those who would cut down the trees, but they usually keep to themselves, gathering with other totoros of all types to celebrate nature & assist its growth.

A chibi-totoro is about 9” tall & weighs around 2 pounds. It speaks no language, but can understand Common, & can telepathically communicate with other fey-folk within 30’.

Combat
As the least aggressive variety of an already-placid group, chibis will almost never enter a stand-up fight with anyone, unless doggedly provoked & given no other choice. Myths & legends universally depict chibi-totoros as peaceful to a fault, never directly harming a soul. They are not defenseless lambs, however. They are extremely stealthy, able to hide where other creatures cannot find them. Their steps are completely silent, & they are known to turn invisible often. They are also adept at crafting illusions, using minor image to confuse their foes & better make their escape.

Spell-Like Abilities

3/Day: invisibility (DC15)
1/Day: minor image (DC15)
Caster level 4th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.
Fey traits: All creatures with the Fey type possess the following traits:

Low-light vision.
Proficient with all simple weapons & any weapons mentioned in its entry.
Fey not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor or shields.
Fey eat, sleep, & breathe.

Monster Lore
Characters that have ranks in Knowledge (Nature) can learn more about Chibi-Totoros. When a character makes a successful skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DC’s.

DC10: “In some old woods, mysterious & elusive forest spirits known as totoros are said to dwell.” A character making this check recalls all fey traits.
DC15: “The smallest totoro is called a chibi-totoro, but even they are able to turn invisible & cast illusions, making them very hard to catch.” A character making this check knows the workings of a chibi-totoro’s spell-like abilites.
DC20: “A chibi-totoro usually roams their patch of the woodlands, nurturing the plants & wildlife, content to maintain the supremacy of the forest.” A character making this check is familiar with specific places that a chibi-totoro can be found, as well as their common habits.

Rainbownaga
2009-05-28, 09:24 PM
Interesting, but what does it do?

I never really understood that movie- maybe because the subtitles on the version i watched only contained half the dialogue and i fell asleep halfway-thru

Are you going to include that crazy cat-bus?

Edit: I was a little confused by the no attack and the descriptions of them attacking; Also the idea of a non-combatant 'monster' is... unconventional.

But is the idea to play a campaign full of basically non-combatant monsters or just to add totoroverse monsters into a regular game. I can imagine one of these guys being an cool familiar.

Zeta Kai
2009-05-28, 09:35 PM
Are you going to include that crazy cat-bus?

Of course. :smallamused: I plan on making all the totoros, the soot sprites, & the cat-bus. It's not really a full d20 conversion; I just can't stop making monsters. :smallbiggrin:

Kiren
2009-05-28, 10:10 PM
Spirited away is full of monsters, I have never seen my neighbor Totoro, but I heard it was good, great job on the first totoro.

Debihuman
2009-05-29, 12:50 PM
Aside from the image not working (are you sure you linked it correctly?), the chibi-totoro are sweet.

In the monster lore section, you should probably increase the DC from 10 to 12 for a chibi-totoro to be recognized as a fey creature rather than as a simple rabbit. DC should normally be 11 not 10 [10+ HD] but they should also have a small [+1] racial bonus, since you mention this in your text. Just my annoying two cents.

Debby

Zeta Kai
2009-05-29, 02:16 PM
Aside from the image not working (are you sure you linked it correctly?), the chibi-totoro are sweet.

In the monster lore section, you should probably increase the DC from 10 to 12 for a chibi-totoro to be recognized as a fey creature rather than as a simple rabbit. DC should normally be 11 not 10 [10+ HD] but they should also have a small [+1] racial bonus, since you mention this in your text. Just my annoying two cents.

Debby

The link did work before. That site seems to have issues. I'll go find another image. :smallsigh:

As for the Lore, the typical DC is CR+10. I rarely deviate from this without a good reason (like the CR is so high that nobody can identify the creature), but I almost always cheat a little by not mentioning the specific creature by name until CR+15. The first entry is info you could get from a nearby peasant, but you'll have to work a little to get the next tidbit of lore.

Lord Loss
2009-05-29, 04:02 PM
Um, does anyone understand the Totoro storyline I remember seeing totoros and the catbus and stuff, but not much else. Could someone explain a bit. maybe then i could help create the monsters. Thanks!

Zeta Kai
2009-05-31, 10:21 AM
http://albums.mouseplanet.com/MPPromotional/totoro1.jpg
A chu-totoro (far left), leading a chibi-totoro in a chase from a curious little girl.

Chu-Totoro
Tiny Fey
Hit Dice: 2d6+2 (9HP)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20’ (4 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+2 size, +2 Dex, +2 natural); touch 14; flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-7
Attack: N/A
Full Attack: N/A
Space/Reach: 2½’/0’
Special Attacks: Spell-like Abilities
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +5, Will +4
Abilities: Str 10 (+0), Dex 15 (+2), Con 12 (+1), Int 11 (+0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 19 (+4)
Skills: Hide +15, Jump +5, Listen +8, Move Silently +7, Perform (wind instruments) +9, Spot +8
Feats: Alertness
Challenge Rating: ½
Advancement: 3-4HD (Tiny)

The little creature is covered in bluish-gray fur, & looks vaguely like a large rabbit. It stands on two legs, however, leaving its claw-tipped arms free to swing as it walks. Its two long ears stand straight up, which combined with its wide eyes, give it a constantly surprised appearance.

One of the spirits of the forest, the chu-totoro (CHOO TOH-toh-roh) is an elusive creature. Chus are seen even more seldomly than chibi-totoros, due to their ability to become invisible at-will. Like chibis, they spend a majority of their time caring for the woods & protecting them in discreet ways. They usually join other totoros to rejoice in the majesty of the natural world, exalting its wonders are what exemplifies them. Besides their talent for hiding, they are also able to make magical illusions & teleport, which makes it even harder to find them unless they wish to be found.

A chu-totoro is about 15” tall & weighs around 5 pounds. It speaks no language, but can understand Common, & can telepathically communicate with other feyfolk within 60’.

Combat
A chu is almost as docile as their smaller cousins, & are loathe to directly engage in battle. They prefer to retreat from a fight using invisibility & then vexing their attackers with illusions from a distance. Their natural & magical stealth make them very difficult to find, let alone catch. If cornered, they will use dimension door, if possible. They use these same tactics to dissuade others from harming their forest home.

Spell-Like Abilities

At Will: invisibility (DC16)
3/Day: minor image (DC16)
1/Day: dimension door (DC18)
Caster level 5th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Low-light vision.

Monster Lore
Characters that have ranks in Knowledge (Nature) can learn more about Chu-Totoros. When a character makes a successful skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DC’s.

DC10: “In some old woods, mysterious & elusive forest spirits known as totoros are said to dwell.” A character making this check recalls all fey traits.
DC15: “One kind is called a chu-totoro, & they can use various fey magics to protect the forest from those who do not respect the natural world.” A character making this check knows the workings of a chu-totoro’s spell-like abilites.
DC20: “Chus can be found in deep forest groves, on deer trails, & the upper boughs of the trees, frolicking & venerating their beloved woods.” A character making this check is familiar with specific places that a chu-totoro can be found, as well as their common habits.

PumpkinEater
2009-05-31, 10:29 AM
Oooh... I can't wait for the Catbus :smallsmile:

I don't remember exactly, but are the soot spirits in My Neighbor Totoro the same as the ones in Spirited Away? (I only remember that there WERE soot spirits in Totoro, but not what they looked like)

And you should do a Spirited Away d20!

You have those little paper things, No Face, KAMAJI (the boilerman), ... more soot spirits, the turnip spirit, green heads, giant baby, etc.

Oh, and talking frogs that like gold pebbles

DracoDei
2009-05-31, 02:41 PM
Like chibis, they spend a majority of their time caring for the \woods & protecting them in discreet ways. They usually join other totoros to rejoice in the majesty of the natural world, exalting its wonders are it exemplifies them.

Extraneous "/"

The second sentence is garbled. "it are" is at least part of this.

Zeta Kai
2009-06-19, 12:09 PM
http://starweaverwitch.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/totoro.jpg
An o-totoro, waiting in the rain for some transportation.

O-Totoro
Medium Fey
Hit Dice: 5d6+5 (22HP)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30’ (6 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+1 Dex, +5 natural); touch 11; flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+5
Attack: Claw +5 melee (1d8+3)
Full Attack: Claw +5 melee (1d8+3)
Space/Reach: 5’/5’
Special Attacks: Spell-like Abilities, Summon Cat-Bus
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +5
Abilities: Str 16 (+3), Dex 13 (+1), Con 12 (+1), Int 11 (+0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 19 (+4)
Skills: Hide +9, Jump +11, Listen +9, Move Silently +9, Perform (wind instruments) +12, Spot +9
Feats: 1 Great Fortitude
Challenge Rating: 2
Advancement: 6-10HD (Large)

The furry creature before you looks rather like a small bear or a large raccoon, but on its back two legs. Its neck-less body is rotund, & its claw-tipped arms & legs are stubby. The strange being has a large face, with sleepy eyes, erect ears, a high black nose, & a very wide yawning mouth.

The largest of the totoros, the wooly creature known as an o-totoro (OH TOH-toh-roh) is a spirit of the forest. Somewhat resembling a brown bear, os are mighty fey, capable of wielding strange & wonderful magic, should they decide to use it. They are more slothful than other totoros, content to sleep in their deep wooded groves or wander idly about the forest. They delight in cultivating plant life, playing their pipes in the moonlight, & confounding those who would harm their lands via illusory magic. They are kind & gentle to those who venerate nature, but can be quite imposing to opponents or unfamiliar beings.

O-totoros are mostly solitary creatures, but they will meet with other totoros for a time to protect or celebrate the natural world. They often form a gathering to hide their lairs with multiple illusion spells. These lairs are often in secluded valleys or near exceptionally large trees, deep within their native forests. Like other totoros, they rarely associate with non-fey, but every once in a while they will form a kinship with others who respect nature & do not seek to encroach upon its dominion.

An o-totoro is about 7’ tall & weighs around 400 pounds. It rarely speaks Common, but can understand Common, & can telepathically communicate with other feyfolk within 120’.

Combat
An o-totoro is the most formidable of the totoros, but they usually refrain from engaging in a direct confrontation. They are mostly content to remain hidden using their greater invisibility, & they frequently use major image to disguise their lairs, thwart pursuit, defend their territory, or hinder their foes. They are wily & very difficult to defeat, as they can easily escape from a losing battle through the use of either teleport or Summon Cat-Bus. They will only stay in a fight for any length of time is there is no other way to protect their beloved forest. They usually precede any major action (besides casting illusions) is a mighty roar.

Spell-Like Abilities

At Will: major image (DC17), spider climb (DC16)
3/Day: greater invisibility (DC18)
1/Day: teleport (DC19)
Caster level 10th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Summon Cat-Bus (Sp): Once per day, by employing their deafening bellow, an o-totoro can automatically summon a Cat-Bus. This ability is the equivalent of summon monster IV, a 4th-level spell.

Low-light vision.

Monster Lore
Characters that have ranks in Knowledge (Nature) can learn more about O-Totoros. When a character makes a successful skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DC’s.

DC12: “In some old woods, mysterious & elusive forest spirits known as totoros are said to dwell.” A character making this check recalls all fey traits.
DC17: “The largest totoro is called an o-totoro, a respected & feared spirit of the forest that is mostly known for its talent with illusions & other fey magic.” A character making this check knows the workings of an o-totoro’s spell-like abilities.
DC22: “A o-totoro typically gathers with other totoros to protect & nuture their woodland territory.” A character making this check is familiar with specific places that an o-totoro can be found, as well as their common habits.

DracoDei
2009-06-19, 12:31 PM
The duration and method of arrival should make Summon Cat-bus more like a Calling spell than a Summoning spell as near as I can see...

Debihuman
2009-06-19, 12:42 PM
The link did work before. That site seems to have issues. I'll go find another image. :smallsigh:

As for the Lore, the typical DC is CR+10. I rarely deviate from this without a good reason (like the CR is so high that nobody can identify the creature), but I almost always cheat a little by not mentioning the specific creature by name until CR+15. The first entry is info you could get from a nearby peasant, but you'll have to work a little to get the next tidbit of lore.

I guess that's your house rule then, because a standard Knowledge check "equals 10 + the monster’s HD. A successful check allows you to remember a bit of useful information about that monster."

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Cat Bus.

Debby

Maerok
2009-06-19, 11:38 PM
Neat. How about Princess Mononoke d20?

LordZarth
2009-06-19, 11:55 PM
Neat. How about Princess Mononoke d20?

That would be... awesome.

The Tygre
2009-06-20, 04:44 AM
I don't know... most of the animals in Princess Mononoke came off as intelligent dire animals to me. I mean, the forest spirit and the little tree people might be worth it, maybe a template for the corruption... Then again, I never really saw the gods in action. Maybe they had magic powers we just didn't get to see.

Zeta Kai
2009-06-30, 09:36 AM
http://www.ljcfyi.com/blog/2009/feb2009/dustsprites.jpg
A swarm of soot sprites, surrounding a mouse to hear his tale.

Susuwatari (“Soot Sprite”) Swarm
Fine Fey (Swarm)
Hit Dice: 2d6+2 (9HP)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 10’ (2 squares), Fly 10’ (2 squares, perfect maneuverability)
Armor Class: 14 (-1 size, +4 Dex, +1 natural armor); touch 13; flat-footed 10
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/--
Attack: Swarm (1d6 + Soot)
Full Attack: Swarm (1d6 + Soot)
Space/Reach: 10’/0’
Special Attacks: Distraction, Soot
Special Qualities: Fey traits, Swarm traits
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +7, Will +5
Abilities: Str 7 (-2), Dex 19 (+4), Con 13 (+1), Int 8 (-1), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 10 (+0)
Skills: Hide +10, Listen +8, Move Silently +12, Spot +6, Survival +7
Feats: Stealthy
Environment: Any land or underground
Organization: solitary, pair, or cluster (3-6 swarms)
Challenge Rating: 1
Advancement: N/A

At first, the patch of dirt before you seemed unremarkable, until it began to move on its own. Upon further inspection, this “dirt” reveals itself to be a tightly-packed cluster of little black fuzzy creatures. These miniscule spherical beings are mostly featureless, except for their relatively-large, expressive eyes & wire-thin arms & legs. These limbs seem to disappear as they float through the air, drifting as if they had no weight at all.

Also known as soot sprites, soot gremlins, or just sooties, Susuwatari are shy, slightly frightful creatures that live in abandoned buildings such as old houses. They are very elusive, so people often deny their existence. Those who catch only a glimpse of them rationalize their presence as an optical illusion caused by moving quickly from light into darkness. If an abandoned house is reclaimed by civilization, then they will usually move on to another vacant building. They are very strong for their size, able to lift many time their own weight. It is thought that they are animated by arcana from cast-off magical items being covered in grime & muck.

A Susuwatari Swarm is about 10’ across & is almost completely weightless, having little appreciable mass. It is composed of around 10,000 individual creatures, each of which is only about 1” around. The swarm speaks no language, although they understand simple Common statements & questions.

Combat
A swarm of Susuwatari is usually a passive collection of peaceful creatures. They will avoid a battle at almost all costs. If cornered, they will overrun an opponent, distracting them long enough to float away & escape. Individual soot sprites can disappear in puff of black dust, but the swarm as a whole cannot do this. Conversely, they like to cover things with soot even when there is no need to do so.

Distraction (Ex): Any living creature vulnerable to a swarm’s damage that begins its turn with a swarm in its square is nauseated for 1 round; a Fortitude save (DC12) negates the effect. Spellcasting or concentrating on spells within the area of a swarm requires a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level). Using skills that involve patience & focus requires a Concentration check (DC20).

Soot (Ex): Any creature that comes into close contact with a Susuwatari Swarm becomes covered in a black sooty residue. This bestows a -4 penalty on that creature’s Diplomacy checks & Hide checks for the next 1d4 hours unless they wash the dirt off first; washing off requires either a full change of clothes or full immersion in water or other liquid. A creature that is covered in soot is effectively dazzled for 1 round.

Low-light vision.
Swarm Traits: A swarm has no clear front or back & no discernable anatomy, so it is not subject to critical hits or flanking. A swarm made up of Tiny creatures takes half damage from slashing & piercing weapons. A swarm composed of Fine or Diminutive creatures is immune to all weapon damage. Reducing a swarm to 0 hit points or lower causes it to break up, though damage taken until that point does not degrade its ability to attack or resist attack. Swarms are never staggered or reduced to a dying state by damage. Also, they cannot be tripped, grappled, or bull rushed, & they cannot grapple an opponent.

A swarm is immune to any spell or effect that targets a specific number of creatures (including single-target spells such as disintegrate), with the exception of mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, & morale effects) if the swarm has an Intelligence score & a hive mind. A swarm takes half again as much damage (+50%) from spells or effects that affect an area, such as splash weapons & many evocation spells.

Swarms made up of Diminutive or Fine creatures are susceptible to high winds such as that created by a gust of wind spell. For purposes of determining the effects of wind on a swarm, treat the swarm as a creature of the same size as its constituent creatures. A swarm rendered unconscious by means of nonlethal damage becomes disorganized & dispersed, & does not reform until its hit points exceed its nonlethal damage.

Swarm Attack: Creatures with the swarm subtype don’t make standard melee attacks. Instead, they deal automatic damage to any creature whose space they occupy at the end of their move, with no attack roll needed. Swarm attacks are not subject to a miss chance for concealment or cover. A swarm’s statistics block has “swarm” in the Attack & Full Attack entries, with no attack bonus given. The amount of damage a swarm deals is based on its Hit Dice, as shown in the table.

A swarm’s attacks are non-magical, unless the swarm’s description states otherwise. Damage reduction sufficient to reduce a swarm attack’s damage to 0, being incorporeal, & other special abilities usually give a creature immunity (or at least resistance) to damage from a swarm. Some swarms also have acid, poison, blood drain, or other special attacks in addition to normal damage.

Swarms do not threaten creatures in their square, & do not make attacks of opportunity with their swarm attack. However, they distract foes whose squares they occupy, as described below.

Monster Lore
Characters that have ranks in Knowledge (Nature) can learn more about Susuwatari Swarms. When a character makes a successful skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DC’s.
DC11: “Inside many abandoned houses, there are swarms of fey creatures composed of living soot.” A character making this check recalls all fey swarm traits.
DC16: “Known as Susuwatari, these nature spirits like to cover everything with dirt & grime.” A character making this check knows the workings of the Soot special ability.
DC21: “Soot sprites frequent deserted buildings, preferring quiet areas to spread their soot, & will often flee from places that become re-inhabited.” A character making this check remembers wear to find soot sprites, & how they act, especially in regards to people.

The Tygre
2009-06-30, 09:27 PM
May I just make one comment about the soot spirits?:

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs36/300W/i/2008/259/c/8/Flapjack_inna_fishsuitXD_by_itoshii721.jpg

SQUEEEEEE!