PDA

View Full Version : Archie picks Veronica.

Jayngfet
2009-05-28, 03:41 PM
Don't know what's scarier, the fact that they've changed the status quo after 70 years or that this made fron page on several newspapers:

In what's being billed the "Archie Story of the Century," perennially indecisive loverboy Archie Andrews has finally chosen the raven-haired Veronica Lodge over sunny girl-next-door Betty Cooper, according to the official Archie Comics website.

"Could it be true? Has Archie finally decided to take the plunge and propose to comics' favourite rich girl? It sure looks that way!" read a note posted online Wednesday.

The posting is accompanied by a comic book cover featuring Archie, on one knee, offering a ring up to Veronica, depicted saying "Yes!" A teary Betty and shocked Jughead — Archie's best friend — look on.

The storyline will span a six-part series, beginning with the comic's issue number 600, Archie Marries Veronica Part 1: The Proposal, set to hit comic shops Aug. 19 and newsstands on Sept. 1, according to the post.

End of the love triangle
The series will purportedly explore the Riverdale gang's graduation from college and their shift into adult life.

"What careers will they seek? Will the friends stay in Riverdale or disperse? What would lead Archie to have marriage on his mind? And why would he choose Veronica over Betty? How will Betty react? …With the Lodges as hosts, this will be the biggest wedding Riverdale has ever seen."

The news of the marriage storyline — teased for several weeks — has sparked passionate reaction online from comics fans both young and old.

The love triangle between the three colourful characters has been a key plot point of the Archie comics for nearly seven decades.

In the 1994-1995 "Love Showdown" storyline, the carrot-topped hero was also set to choose between the two comely gals, but shockingly picked his old flame Cheryl Blossom. That relationship ultimately dissolved and Archie was once again left to dither between Betty and Veronica.

Source:CBC news.

And suddenly, across the world hundreds of thiry year old men could be heard pre-emptivly screaming "Wosrt. Comic. Ever."

EENick
2009-05-28, 03:46 PM
Whow first Techi now Archie.

At least Archie picked the right girl. :smallbiggrin:

Ozymandias
2009-05-28, 03:51 PM
Well, following recent trends in comics, I'm sure he'll quickly sell his marriage to the devil anyway so it won't be a big issue.

*rimshot*

darkblade
2009-05-28, 04:05 PM
Well, following recent trends in comics, I'm sure he'll quickly sell his marriage to the devil anyway so it won't be a big issue.

*rimshot*

Or Jughead will be turned into a pointlessly evil strawman that the writer's will claim was right all along and have Archie shot by a sniper.

ufo
2009-05-28, 04:06 PM
Am I supposed to know what you guys are talking about?

The Glyphstone
2009-05-28, 04:07 PM
Am I supposed to know what you guys are talking about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Civil_War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_One_More_Day

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 04:08 PM
Or Jughead will be turned into a pointlessly evil strawman that the writer's will claim was right all along and have Archie shot by a sniper.

The Red Skull was pretty much always a bad guy

darkblade
2009-05-28, 04:11 PM
The Red Skull was pretty much always a bad guy

I was refering to Iron Man. The joke just works better saying it was all his fault.

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 04:14 PM
I was refering to Iron Man. The joke just works better saying it was all his fault.

But Iron Man didn't have him shot by a sniper, the red skull did.

Or is the joke that Iron man started WWII, and thus is responsible for the Cap/Red Skull rivalry?

Either way, if it IS like The Current Cap storyline, well be getting the best Archie stories in decades

Starscream
2009-05-28, 04:21 PM
Ten bucks says they'll return to the status quo eventually.

Anywho, does this mean I can have Betty? Failing that, can Jughead have Betty? He's my hero.

Blayze
2009-05-28, 04:32 PM
I think the Punisher's due another visit.

Rutskarn
2009-05-28, 04:38 PM
This just in--this announcement has arrived about 40 years after it was last relevant to American culture!

TengYt
2009-05-28, 04:43 PM
People still read Archie?

darkblade
2009-05-28, 04:54 PM
But Iron Man didn't have him shot by a sniper, the red skull did.

Or is the joke that Iron man started WWII, and thus is responsible for the Cap/Red Skull rivalry?

Either way, if it IS like The Current Cap storyline, well be getting the best Archie stories in decades

No he started the Civil War event which gave Red Skull the chance to shoot Cap but this is well off topic.

Selrahc
2009-05-28, 05:05 PM
Honestly.. to try and lay the blame for every bad thing ever on Iron Man is rather unfair. Even if Iron Man was solely to blame for Civil War(Which he wasn't), the whole Red Skull assassination thing had the seeds laid down for it for a while before the Civil War.

http://www.shortpacked.com/comics/20070620ironman.png

chiasaur11
2009-05-28, 05:10 PM
Ten bucks says they'll return to the status quo eventually.

Anywho, does this mean I can have Betty? Failing that, can Jughead have Betty? He's my hero.

Nah.

Jughead's already nailing Archie's great great (etc.) grandaughter as part of his job as a timecop.

Look it up. It's canon.

TheThan
2009-05-28, 05:13 PM

he means this (http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1113:archie-meets-punisher&catid=29:confounding-comic-covers-index&Itemid=32)

chiasaur11
2009-05-28, 05:24 PM
he means this (http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1113:archie-meets-punisher&catid=29:confounding-comic-covers-index&Itemid=32)

I almost bought that once, but by the time I'd decided to, the place had sold out.

Shame.

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 05:28 PM
Honestly.. to try and lay the blame for every bad thing ever on Iron Man is rather unfair. Even if Iron Man was solely to blame for Civil War(Which he wasn't), the whole Red Skull assassination thing had the seeds laid down for it for a while before the Civil War.

http://www.shortpacked.com/comics/20070620ironman.png

Hey i think its great.
Its the first time that there's been something interesting about Tony Starks personality going on in 20 years.

and it lead to the first time something interesting happened in Cap for the same amount of time.
(Unless you count Cap Wolf, Cap Wolf ROCKED)

Starscream
2009-05-28, 05:36 PM
Jughead's already nailing Archie's great great (etc.) grandaughter as part of his job as a timecop.

Why do you think he's my hero?

Canadian
2009-05-28, 07:19 PM
Why do you think they call him Jughead. He'll end up with both the girls. :smallwink:

Starscream
2009-05-28, 07:48 PM
Why do you think they call him Jughead. He'll end up with both the girls. :smallwink:

Wouldn't surprise me. He actually had two girlfriends in the early 90s.

Then there's the whole Trula Twyst thing...

And now the world knows that I read Archie comics way longer than is socially acceptable.

Rutskarn
2009-05-28, 08:00 PM
And now the world knows that I read Archie comics way longer than is socially acceptable.

Read: you've read an Archie comic.

Berserk Monk
2009-05-28, 08:03 PM
I choose to believe the Chasing Amy theory:

Archie's gay, and Jughead's his lover

Perpetuum
2009-05-28, 08:04 PM
I choose to believe the Chasing Amy theory:

Archie's gay, and Jughead's his loverDitto. Only thing that made that comic readable.

Canadian
2009-05-28, 08:22 PM
If that's true then Jughead is the top. Archie has to be the bottom.

Berserk Monk
2009-05-28, 08:26 PM
If that's true then Jughead is the top. Archie has to be the bottom.

Duh. Why do you think Jughead wears that crown? 'Cause he's the king of queen Archie's world.

Rutskarn
2009-05-28, 08:27 PM
As little time spent reading Archie comics is too much, even less time spent contemplating Archie's sex life is too much.

Far, far too much.

Canadian
2009-05-28, 08:34 PM
If Archie is the bottom and Jughead is the top... Then what happened in the Punisher vs. Archie comic?

What's the Punisher?

chiasaur11
2009-05-28, 08:44 PM
If Archie is the bottom and Jughead is the top... Then what happened in the Punisher vs. Archie comic?

What's the Punisher?

Frank Castle, Vietnam vet turned one man army waging a (very, very violent) one man war on crime.

And he meets Archie.

Canadian
2009-05-28, 08:47 PM
Frank Castle, Vietnam vet turned one man army waging a (very, very violent) one man war on crime.

And he meets Archie.

The question was...

Punisher: Top or bottom?

Rutskarn
2009-05-28, 08:49 PM
The question was...

Punisher: Top or bottom?

No, see, the question is: what kind of professional help will we need after considering that question?

See, I mean, I was the guy making llama/wombat jokes in the Cantalopes thread. And this is where I draw the line.

Canadian
2009-05-28, 08:54 PM
No, see, the question is: what kind of professional help will we need after considering that question?

See, I mean, I was the guy making llama/wombat jokes in the Cantalopes thread. And this is where I draw the line.

The question was...

Cantalope: Bottom or extreme bottom?

chiasaur11
2009-05-28, 09:17 PM
The question was...

Cantalope: Bottom or extreme bottom?

I hate you so much right now.

The Glyphstone
2009-05-28, 09:21 PM
Cantaloupes like to spoon - it's too hard to eat them with a fork or knife.

Starscream
2009-05-28, 09:30 PM
Guys, it was funny when Kevin Smith did it. His characters were allowed to curse. :smallwink:

And if any of those characters are secretly gay, it is definitely Reggie. He just hits on Betty and Ronnie to make Archie jealous.

And there's nothing wrong with reading Archie comics. Especially in the fourth grade.

Alteran
2009-05-28, 09:43 PM
I used to read Archie comics a lot, but I stopped a few years ago. The stories all just seemed incredibly similar, and to a degree my tastes changed. I like that they're finally graduating and going out into the world, since after 60-something years, the teenage/high school stories just got really tired. I don't expect to start reading Archie comics again, but I'm sure many of the current readers will appreciate the change.

And, of course, some will absolutely hate it. Such is life.

North
2009-05-28, 10:19 PM
If they actually had the guts to go through with it and have it actually happen it would do crazy for archies sales. Hell, Id buy it.

Lunaya
2009-05-29, 12:02 AM
Meh. Betty deserved better anyway. :smallamused:

Yulian
2009-05-29, 12:05 AM

I was just thinking the exact same thing.

Does...does anyone actually read Archie anymore? Seriously?

- Yulian

Lord Seth
2009-05-29, 01:08 AM
While I'll be interested as to how this turns out, I doubt I'll be buying the comics. The only comic series published by Archie Comics I read is Sonic the Hedgehog.

chiasaur11
2009-05-29, 01:46 AM
I was just thinking the exact same thing.

Does...does anyone actually read Archie anymore? Seriously?

- Yulian

Actually, from what I can tell, yes.

At bare minimum internet facekicking fan Chris Sims consumes a solid quantity of them, and they're for sale at most grocery stores and Wall Marts.

Probably sell better than a lot of Marvel and DC titles.

Edit: Looked up some figures. Only in the 10,000s for the Archie comics, but the digests are in the 60,000s. A fairly respectable figure. Also, Archie comics has a nice 2% share of the market. Not bad, considering the stranglehold the big two have on most of the market.

Starscream
2009-05-29, 01:53 AM
Edit: Looked up some figures. Only in the 10,000s for the Archie comics, but the digests are in the 60,000s. A fairly respectable figure.

Yeah, I always used to buy the digests. You could blow through one of the comic books in 5 minutes while in the checkout line itself, but the digests (especially the double sized ones) could keep you amused for an hour or so, and barely cost any more.

FerhagoRosewood
2009-05-29, 02:48 AM
Whow first Techi now Archie.

At least Archie picked the right girl. :smallbiggrin:

Did you mean Tenchi?

pendell
2009-05-29, 07:42 AM
Ah .. that brings back memories -- I used to read Archie in the early-mid 80s. Can't say I have since then. I do know I preferred Betty to Veronica, and I think Archie made a mistake in choosing Veronica. Yeah, Veronica's richer, but Betty has a better personality.

And of course both pale to Sabrina, the teenage witch who also lives in Archie's world, but she was never on Archie's radar.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Optimystik
2009-05-29, 08:19 AM
And if any of those characters are secretly gay, it is definitely Reggie. He just hits on Betty and Ronnie to make Archie jealous.

This. He would hit on Midge just to get some alone time with Moose.

Starscream
2009-05-29, 11:59 AM
And of course both pale to Sabrina, the teenage witch who also lives in Archie's world, but she was never on Archie's radar.

They have dated. Multiple times. Hijinx generally ensue, due to his refusal to believe in magic no matter what weirdness occurs.

This. He would hit on Midge just to get some alone time with Moose.

Ah, so he's into getting beat up then? That's generally what happens when anyone so much as glances at Midge.

...Why do I remember all this junk? I haven't picked up an Archie book in 15 years!

Canadian
2009-05-29, 12:42 PM
I bet Mr. Weatherbee is a closet leather guy.

http://www.lag.net/robey/pics/seattle-leather-dude.jpg

EENick
2009-05-29, 03:35 PM
Did you mean Tenchi?

Indeed I did.

darkblust
2009-06-06, 07:06 PM
He should have picked the blond one....

chiasaur11
2009-06-06, 07:09 PM
He should have picked the blond one....

He might have but she's absolutely ape jive crazy. (http://mightygodking.com/index.php/2009/06/03/it-puts-the-lotion-on-its-skin/)

Jalor
2009-06-06, 09:18 PM
Really, this was a logical result. If he proposed to Betty, they'd get married, pump out 2.6 children, and live an ordinary, uninteresting, plotless life. The writers would suddenly be unemployed. It's almost a Nash equilibrium because Archie and Betty would live happily ever after, Archie and Veronica wouldn't, stories without conflict are either pointless or Twilight, and the writers need to eat.

This was the only acceptable outcome.

The inevitable outcome.

Rutskarn
2009-06-06, 09:23 PM
Starscream, just so you know, despite the ribbing I've given you for devoting any thought or memory to Archie comics, I do appreciate that you've taken those jibes with apparent good humor. I mean, I have an encyclopedic knowledge of Arthur episodes and early-era Daredevil, and I'm not exactly proud of either.

On that note: Ha ha! You know anything about Archie! Lu-SER!

Starscream
2009-06-06, 09:32 PM
Starscream, just so you know, despite the ribbing I've given you for devoting any thought or memory to Archie comics, I do appreciate that you've taken those jibes with apparent good humor. I mean, I have an encyclopedic knowledge of Arthur episodes and early-era Daredevil, and I'm not exactly proud of either.

On that note: Ha ha! You know anything about Archie! Lu-SER!

I named my internet persona after a Transformer whose primary role was getting his ass kicked every other episode by his own boss. Is there any doubt that I'm a dork?

Reading Archie comics when I was a kid is, by my current estimation, the 73,482nd un-coolest thing about me.:smallbiggrin:

They can take my life, but they'll never take my felt crown and inexplicable 'S' t-shirt!

Rutskarn
2009-06-06, 09:35 PM
I named my internet persona after a Transformer whose primary role was getting his ass kicked every other episode by his own boss. Is there any doubt that I'm a dork?

Reading Archie comics when I was a kid is, by my current estimation, the 73,482nd un-coolest thing about me.:smallbiggrin:

They can take my life, but they'll never take my felt crown and inexplicable 'S' t-shirt!

That is a pretty damn anachronistic hat. Where the hell would any modern kid get, or even hear about, such a piece of rather unsightly headgear?

Jalor
2009-06-06, 09:38 PM

I think the fact that my first thought upon reading this was "Well, he also had the best character development of any Transformer in the animated series" speaks volumes about GitP in general.

chiasaur11
2009-06-06, 09:54 PM
I think the fact that my first thought upon reading this was "Well, he also had the best character development of any Transformer in the animated series" speaks volumes about GitP in general.

I'm not sure, I mean, Rodimus had a rather interesting arc, assuming we allow Dark Awakening and disregard The Return of Optimus Prime.

(Yes, I can and will fight for position of most pathetic transformers nerd on the site. With Xaaron as my witness, I shall prevail!)

Starscream
2009-06-06, 09:58 PM
That is a pretty damn anachronistic hat. Where the hell would any modern kid get, or even hear about, such a piece of rather unsightly headgear?

I dunno, he's had it since the forties. I guess the artists didn't think the nose and shirt were enough to distinguish him.

Dragonus45
2009-06-07, 12:58 AM
This is giantitp, we check your nerd id at the door.

Helanna
2009-06-07, 09:05 AM
About 1 or 2 years ago, my mom got really big into the Archie comics, probably in some form of nostalgia. She'd buy tons of them, because they were so cheap, and read them when she was bored during work. And then I'd read them whenever I was bored. So I do know more about them than I'd be likely to admit anywhere outside of this forum.

They're so not going to go through with this. Hell, it'll probably be an "it was all a dream" ending or something like that. But I have to say I'm curious about what will happen during this, so I may check it out.

As for the people that were getting way too deep into possible sex lives . . . :smalleek: Gonna go with Rutskarn on this one.

This is giantitp, we check your nerd id at the door.

This is why I love giantitp. :smallbiggrin:

BROCK22
2009-06-08, 03:35 PM
what the F... Veronica is so stuck up? I was a Betty fan.

Starscream
2009-06-08, 06:26 PM
what the F... Veronica is so stuck up? I was a Betty fan.

Everyone was a Betty fan. That's the idea. If Archie had any taste it wouldn't be funny.

Jalor
2009-06-08, 09:02 PM
As for the people that were getting way too deep into possible sex lives . . . :smalleek: Gonna go with Rutskarn on this one.
I go deep into sex lives all the time. Really deep. :smallamused:

SolkaTruesilver
2009-06-09, 06:06 AM
Everyone was a Betty fan. That's the idea. If Archie had any taste it wouldn't be funny.

Don't question the american's weird fascination regarding Valley Girls (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ValleyGirl).

I really wonder what kind of man Archie would grow into. What do you think would be his job..?

WhiteHarness
2009-06-09, 08:31 AM
Well, I, for one, am pleased. I prefer brunettes to blondes. Not that I think the writers will let Archie's decision stand; I'm sure he'll ultimately wind up with Betty...

Those of you poking fun at Archie:

Now, I'm no fan of Archie (or any comic books, for that matter...) but the contempt in which you hold Archie is precisely how I feel about almost all anime/manga.

In forty years, your own children will look at the imported Japanese cartoons you watched as a kid and wonder how in the hell anyone could ever like seomthing so campy and stupid as Dragonball, Haruhi Suzumiya, etc.

Finn Solomon
2009-06-09, 08:36 AM
Don't question the american's weird fascination regarding Valley Girls (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ValleyGirl).

I really wonder what kind of man Archie would grow into. What do you think would be his job..?

Fat bald dumb underachieving slob who drinks too much and constantly moans about the old days in high school when everything was better.

Friv
2009-06-09, 08:54 AM

Clearly, you missed this: http://www.mania.com/archie-comics-announces-civil-chore_article_53628.html

Telonius
2009-06-09, 09:03 AM
So much change for classic comic characters. I say we have to draw the line. First there was the horrifying revelation in Bazooka Joe (http://www.theonion.com/content/news/burned_lower_half_of_morts_face). Now this. What's the world coming to? Where does it end? Popeye giving up his spinach habit? Asterix and Obelix finally settling down? I tell ya, this can't end well. :smallwink: