PDA

View Full Version : So, say you've got $600...

Muz
2009-05-28, 04:48 PM
I have a weird (and entirely unterrible) problem. I came back from a vacation that I'd been saving a while for. After all's said and done, I saved by $600 too much, and now have about that much left over.

I want to treat this as found money, and just blow it, but it seems that my consumerism muscle is atrophied. I can't think of any good ideas. I'm toying with getting an LCD TV (but that would require replacing my current TV cabinet that holds my old CRT tube, and when all's said and done, that won't really improve the enjoyment of the TV shows/movies I can already see on it aside from slight visual quality), or possibly a Wii or X-Box, but I'm not sure how much I'd use THOSE, either, since I'm mostly a PC-gamer.

So what would YOU do with $600 to blow? I need some ideas. :smallsmile:

Cristo Meyers
2009-05-28, 04:50 PM
$600 would complete my Chaos army for Warhammer 40K and my Skaven army for Fantasy, with some left over...

If you're PC gamer, what about an upgrade for the rig? Shiny new video card, extra RAM?

kopout
Buy a new laptop. I have been wanting one for a while.

DamnedIrishman

Go out drinking, dancing and generally partying with whichever friends I can convince to come with me for as many days as I can afford and survive.

SDF
2009-05-28, 04:51 PM
I'd probably blow it in 30 seconds at a music store.

kopout
2009-05-28, 04:52 PM
If you're PC gamer, what about an upgrade for the rig? Shiny new video card, extra RAM?

I'd like a new video card and a sound card (not a new one, a sound card period mines been shot for years)

Quincunx
2009-05-28, 04:54 PM
Hobby supply--it would satisfy the consumerism impulse and lay in some supplies for future entertainment. I can see the arguments for buying access to some transitory and quality event (like a concert or hang-gliding lessons), though, just can't envision spending an entire chunk'o'change and having nothing more than photographs, and also the travel sorta ticks that check-box. . .come to think of it, why NOT lessons plus basic kit?

Adlan
2009-05-28, 04:56 PM
Unspoterserised No. 1 Mk III SMLE. WW1 Vintage. and as much .303 as I can get with the change.

Rutskarn
2009-05-28, 05:05 PM
I'd blow it on hobby supplies.

Alternately, get together 5 hobos into a fighting ring, hand out switchblades, and put a check for the full amount on a table.

Castaras
2009-05-28, 05:06 PM
I'd either put it in the bank because I dunno what to buy with it, or buy CDs.

MrEdwardNigma
2009-05-28, 05:07 PM
I'd blow it on hobby supplies.

Alternately, get together 5 hobos into a fighting ring, hand out switchblades, and put a check for the full amount on a table.
Isn't that just basically the same thing?

Myatar_Panwar
2009-05-28, 05:07 PM
If I were you I would totally give it to me. Err wait... :smalltongue:

But seriously, if I had $600 to spend on hobbies and whatnot, I would probably get a crap-ton of Warhammer miniatures. Expensive hobby is expensive. And addicting.

If you ever wanted to get into wargaming this may be your chance.

Pyrian
2009-05-28, 05:10 PM
If you can't think of something worth doing with it, then you're probably best of squirreling it away until such a time as something you really, really want to do comes up but you don't have enough money - except now you do!

Personally, I've never understood the urge to rid oneself of money. A nice, fat bank account feels like warm security to me. :smallcool:

Muz
2009-05-28, 05:17 PM
If you can't think of something worth doing with it, then you're probably best of squirreling it away until such a time as something you really, really want to do comes up but you don't have enough money - except now you do!

Personally, I've never understood the urge to rid oneself of money. A nice, fat bank account feels like warm security to me. :smallcool:

Hey, when did I ask for WISDOM in responses? :smallwink: And I've actually been in saving mode for quite a while so I do have a fairly sized rainy day fund, I'm lucky to say. So I want to blow it on something, but I've BEEN in saving mode so long that my brain no longer seems to think that way. :smallsmile:

I thought about upgrading my PC, but I think I'm at the point where the bottleneck is the processor, so I'd have to check and see what the current motherboard could handle. Or I could upgrade THAT, too, and likely find out that the RAM I've got won't work with the new motherboard, so... *twitch*

Hobo-fighting. Hadn't thought of that...

I've never really been one for models, and my hobby is writing, so there aren't too many supplies in that one... The party thing isn't bad, but I think I want something tangible, after spending a bunch on vacation.

You know, the more I talk about this, the more I feel like a jerk. ("Oh, I have this money burning a hole in my pocket! Whatever shall I DO? Woe is me!") Apologies if I come off sounding like that, and feel free to smack me. :smalleek:

Quincunx
2009-05-28, 05:26 PM
Some kind of lesson, then, and/or entry to an authors' convention if you are serious about publishing and networking. Trade shows are pricey.

Pyrian
2009-05-28, 05:32 PM
Hey, when did I ask for WISDOM in responses? :smallwink:Oh, well, in that case, I recommend a tandem nude lap-dance. :smallcool:

Starscream
2009-05-28, 05:32 PM
I'd probably blow it in 30 seconds at a music store.

Those still exist?

I'd either give my computer a nice upgrade, or expand my D&D collection.

A lot of the 3.5 books are cheap on Amazon now. I recently bought 5 nice ones for under $50, so for 600 you could get quite a few. 4E books are pricier, but there's still not so many of them out that you couldn't get them all.

As for the gaming console idea, I own a Wii and my brother owns a 360. Both systems are great, but he is more of a hardcore gamer than me (he works in a gaming store), so he cares more about things like graphics. I'd recommend going the 360 route if you do a lot of gaming.

I am personally very happy with the Wii. I don't have time to game constantly, but when I do I tend to prefer simple fun titles like Smash Bros and Super Mario Galaxy.

chiasaur11
2009-05-28, 05:40 PM
You considered charitable giving?

I mean, a little research could probably find a reliable source for turning a hundred of those dollars into, I dunno, goats for a starving village or something, and the rest could go toward buying every single ARCHIE MEETS PUNISHER ever published. And giving one copy to me.

TigerHunter
2009-05-28, 05:42 PM
Some cool electronic gadget, like an iPhone, Blackberry or Kindle?

13_CBS
2009-05-28, 05:43 PM
Well, they say a few hundred bucks can by a whole cow for a starving family in Africa...you could try that (you'll have to do some google research, though).

Crispy Dave
2009-05-28, 05:52 PM
turn it all into penny's and throw them at people.

Muz
2009-05-28, 06:47 PM
You considered charitable giving?

I had, actually, and it's on the list. (I'll likely wind up giving at least something somewhere, seeing as just starting this thread has a part of me feeling insensitive.) :smallsmile:

$600 at a music store? I'm not sure there's enough good music in the world to warrant spending $600 on music. (Yeah, go ahead and stone me. I also don't care for Battlestar Galactica and liked the LOTR films more than the books.) :smallwink:

TheBST
2009-05-28, 06:50 PM
Use it as the seed to save up for your next holiday. Seriously, see as much of the world as possible while you can.

Canadian
2009-05-28, 07:10 PM
Yeah, I have to go with the Archie vs. Punisher thing.

KilltheToy
2009-05-28, 07:20 PM
$600 at a music store? I'm not sure there's enough good music in the world to warrant spending $600 on music. (Yeah, go ahead and stone me. I also don't care for Battlestar Galactica and liked the LOTR films more than the books.) :smallwink:

Hey, we can get stoned together. I haven't read any of the Harry Potter or Discworld books, with the exeption of Harry potter and the sorceror's/philosopher's stone and the tiniest bit of one of the Discworld books who's name escapes me. It had DEATH in it.

Getting back on subject: I'd use part of the money to buy a Chaos Marines army for 40k, plus supplies and whatnot. But, me being me, I'd probably walk out with $30 in change, and use that as a "I need some money for whatever" fund.

Gourtox
2009-05-28, 07:34 PM
Here are some things I suggest in order from what I would use the money for.

1. You could get art lessons from the pros like schoolism (https://www.schoolism.com/) for example or at a college.
2. Buy an expensive Program like 3dsMax (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=5659302&siteID=123112) or Maya (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7635018).
3. Feed RPG Habits.
4. Buy some stuff from Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/).
5. Upgrade your computer or get a new one.
That's All I got right now. Might put some more ideas later.
WAIT! I HAVE IT!
BUY A PANDA!
Okay I just had to say something random.

reorith
2009-05-28, 07:36 PM
buy a wasr-10 (http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=129740556)

evnafets
2009-05-28, 09:05 PM
Spend some of the money on other people.

Take the girlfriend out to dinner and a show
Buy something nice for your mother.
Invest in some new clothes?

SDF
2009-05-28, 09:10 PM

Ur doin it wrong (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-Electromatic-Pro-Jet-with-Bigsby?sku=511587):smallwink:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-05-28, 09:16 PM
I'd wish for a million more wishes!

Wait, my bad.

I'd probably put some of it in a bank, and blow the rest on video games. But that's me.

Supagoof
2009-05-28, 09:17 PM
Donate it to the Give-it-to-Supagoof-just-for-kicks fund. I can send you the paypal to donate. :smalltongue:

Do you have an iTouch/pod/phone - because you'd probably be able to spend it on a ton of stuff in the Itunes store (movies & music!)

Or go to Vegas! There are quite a few things that are very legal there that aren't anywhere else. Except maybe Thailand.....:smallamused:

Or simply buy another trip to come to a meetup. There's a few coming up and that'd probably cover traveling expenses. Enjoy time with forum friends and create memories to last a lifetime. Worth. Every. Penny!

RS14
2009-05-28, 09:39 PM
buy a wasr-10 (http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=129740556)

More or less what I was going to suggest. If you're going to get a semi-auto rifle, though, it seems to me that you might as well get something more accurate. A "service grade" M1 Garand can be had for just under your $600 budget through the CMP. Bolt rifles can be cheaper--the last I heard, a Mosin-Nagant can be bought for approximately $100, leaving money for a nice pistol.

reorith
2009-05-28, 09:56 PM
More or less what I was going to suggest. If you're going to get a semi-auto rifle, though, it seems to me that you might as well get something more accurate. A "service grade" M1 Garand can be had for just under your $600 budget through the CMP. Bolt rifles can be cheaper--the last I heard, a Mosin-Nagant can be bought for approximately $100, leaving money for a nice pistol.

this!

romanian tt-33 for $250 + mosin nagant at $150 leaves you $200 for ammo. a case of 440 milsurp 7.62x54r can be found for roughly one hundred bucks.

Zeb The Troll
2009-05-28, 11:55 PM
Or simply buy another trip to come to a meetup. There's a few coming up and that'd probably cover traveling expenses. Enjoy time with forum friends and create memories to last a lifetime. Worth. Every. Penny!*V points to meetup link in sig V*

Berserk Monk
2009-05-29, 12:03 AM
Spend it all on chainmail supplies. I'm be able to finish my Rorschach costume and make like 5-6 suits.

potatocubed
2009-05-29, 01:25 AM
I recommend another holiday. Use some time off work to take a 4-day weekend and head up to Canada or something.

Black_Pants_Guy
2009-05-29, 01:42 AM
Well, they say a few hundred bucks can by a whole cow for a starving family in Africa...you could try that (you'll have to do some google research, though).

If you do it right you could buy a 5 Cows and 2 Bulls then the people in Africa get rich.

Ichneumon
2009-05-29, 01:42 AM
With $600 I could buy me that laptop I've been saving for. I could buy an expensive one and dualboot Linux Ubuntu on it.

shadowxknight
2009-05-29, 01:51 AM
Hmmm.

You might have to save up a little more, but you should buy a back-up power generator to run your precious PC in case of a power outage!

Ichneumon
2009-05-29, 01:59 AM
Hmmm.

You might have to save up a little more, but you should buy a back-up power generator to run your precious PC in case of a power outage!

For how long would that be able to last and where does the generator generate power from? I'm interested.

Zeb The Troll
2009-05-29, 02:33 AM
For how long would that be able to last and where does the generator generate power from? I'm interested.*googles*

They're typically natural gas or propane powered and will last as long as you have a fuel supply. :smallcool:

Ichneumon
2009-05-29, 03:09 AM
*googles*

They're typically natural gas or propane powered and will last as long as you have a fuel supply. :smallcool:

Cool, I was actually hoping that I'd actually found a way to run my computer on humus.

Archonic Energy
2009-05-29, 04:31 AM
Yeah, I have to go with the Archie vs. Punisher thing.

When did I fight the Punisher? :smallconfused:

I'd say put it back into your account & wait for something to break... something ALWAYS breaks.

randman22222
2009-05-29, 05:08 AM
Well, if it were me, I'd probably buy this (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-Electromatic-Hollowbody-Electric-Guitar?sku=517730) in light blue.

Failing that, I'd buy this (http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAIS412CA) and this (http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBATBX150H).

But that's just me, as a guitarist speaking. So my opinion is probably near complete uselessness. :smalltongue:

Zaggab
2009-05-29, 05:21 AM
I would change them into whatever coin/bill you have over there that has the highest volume/value ratio and stuff the result into a transparent bean bag and curl up on it and pretend to be a dragon.

Stop looking at me.

Quincunx
2009-05-29, 05:41 AM
. . .Thread over, Zaggab wins.

Zeb The Troll
2009-05-29, 05:42 AM
I would change them into whatever coin/bill you have over there that has the highest volume/value ratio and stuff the result into a transparent bean bag and curl up on it and pretend to be a dragon.

Stop looking at me.I would so do this if I had $600 I didn't need. :smallcool:

bosssmiley
2009-05-29, 05:49 AM

Wenches and mead (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csHTqMG7zUo). Job done. :smallwink:

Although the "get a gun" idea has some appeal too... :smallbiggrin:

xPANCAKEx
2009-05-29, 11:44 AM
if i was going to lash out, then pick any of the following
second hand JCM 900
bias mod for my 5150
second hand yamaha sg700
vintage suits (1930s-1950s)
second hand ts-808
flight to new york
climbing trip to france (and membership to my wall for a year)

but i'd probably bank it

Supagoof
2009-05-29, 11:46 AM
Wenches and mead (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csHTqMG7zUo). Job done. :smallwink:

Although the "get a gun" idea has some appeal too... :smallbiggrin:
QFT

Ah, but Zaggab already won the thread.... :smallbiggrin:

snoopy13a
2009-05-29, 11:46 AM
I'd spend most of it on booze and women, the rest I'd just waste :smalltongue:

Cookie to anyone who knows whose quote I derived that from :smallsmile:

Jack Squat
2009-05-29, 11:47 AM
Unspoterserised No. 1 Mk III SMLE. WW1 Vintage. and as much .303 as I can get with the change.

You sir, read my mind.

I shot one two weeks ago, and if I had the money on me, I'd have payed the $300 for it.

...if only I remembered to get his number.

EDIT: @V Then he's still got the money that gets deducted from his taxes.

Faulty
2009-05-29, 11:50 AM
You should donate it to charity.

Starscream
2009-05-29, 11:54 AM

More fun to save until you can fill a whole room. Then you can swim around in it like Uncle Scrooge.

Starscream is not responsible for any injuries or asphyxiations that may occur from following his advice. Starscream is intended for entertainment purposes only. For a complete printed transcript of this post, please send $5 to your local Starscream affiliate. Void where prohibited, offer subject to change without notice.

ghost_warlock
2009-05-29, 12:42 PM
With an extra $600 I'd either:

a) replace the air compressor in my car.
b) go to the dentist; been over a decade... :smallredface:

Erloas
2009-05-29, 01:03 PM
Well you are a PC gamer and you kind of want a new TV. I would go with a 32" 1080P LCD to use as both a TV and a monitor. Or if that is impractical as a monitor (which is the conclusion I came to) then you can get something like the Samsung 260HD (something like that) which is ~26" monitor that also has a digital tuner in it (so you can watch TV on it as well as use it as a monitor). Of course the difference between a TV and a monitor is fairly minor, its just that 720P is a bit low for a monitor and there are very few (but more coming) 1080P TVs less then 32". The aforementioned monitor (which I purchased a few weeks ago) is 1920x1200 resolution rather then 1920x1080 (which is 1080P) so it does 1080P, but it is a monitor resolution rather then a TV resolution. (16:10 instead of 16:9)

It scales well too so its not an issue if you're current video card can't handle 1920x1200 resolution.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-05-29, 01:07 PM

You are correct. $500 actually. Here (http://www.heifer.org/site/c.edJRKQNiFiG/b.204586/) is the cow.

But if you want a somewhat less charitable way to spend it, I say put the money towards a gaming console, a good TV and excellent sound system, and the complete Rock Band gig - 2 guitars, drums, microphone, fog machine, and don't skimp on the silencers for the drum set - you don't want to hear that plasticky tap-tap instead of the drums. Then get three friends and start an awesome garage band, no talent required.

Supagoof
2009-05-29, 01:22 PM
Starscream is not responsible for any injuries or asphyxiations that may occur from following his advice. Starscream is intended for entertainment purposes only. For a complete printed transcript of this post, please send $5 to your local Starscream affiliate. Void where prohibited, offer subject to change without notice.
Awesome. You really should place this in your sig. :smallwink:

Spiryt
2009-05-31, 10:47 AM
You can always buy yourself a pollaxe (http://armor.com/pole010.html).

Useful and classy. :smallwink:

Miklus
2009-05-31, 12:40 PM
Invest the money in General Motors. It's a bit of a gamble, but it could really pay off.

Otherwise i would go with the dragon-idea but in Zimbabwe dollars. I bet you could really fill a bean bag with that. Go to the bank and insist on exchangeing your money to Zimbabwe dollars, just to see the look on their faces. Insist on small bills...like the 100 billion ones. :smallamused:

V'icternus
2009-05-31, 01:59 PM
(...and I liked the LOTR films more than the books.) :smallwink:

*Throws a stone*

<.<

>.>

Anyway, as for the money, I'd probably blow it on D&D related things... like ruleboooks... mini's...

And, of course, all of The Giant's books. All of 'em. No better outlet for your money.

...And maybe one of his T-shirts... A cool mug... some Thog-flavoured Icecream... (Yeah, laugh it up, I'll be the one laughing when I'm the only one who's chock-full of Thogly goodness)

FdL
2009-05-31, 02:31 PM
OP: Get stuff for your computer. A video card sounds just right.

Edit: No, I second 4e. Get every book there is if you don't already, then get yourself a year of subscription to DDI and the rest use it to buy the new minis.

$600 would complete my Chaos army for Warhammer 40K and my Skaven army for Fantasy, with some left over...

Boy is that an expensive hobby! D:

HPsauce
2009-05-31, 02:41 PM
If you can't decide what to do either flip a coin or get your computer kitted out with some major gear dude.

Jimp
2009-05-31, 02:51 PM
I would buy some coilovers for my car. Goin' low and slow :smallcool: Granted you may have different priorities :smalltongue:

V'icternus
2009-05-31, 03:35 PM
Boy is that an expensive hobby! D:

You have no diea. (My friend's spent a lot of money on it... a lot.)

I'm happy with the computer game. :P

However, there is a similar game based on LoTR that I used to collect... the upside now is, I have my own, personallyu painter models for D&D. Want to be an elven archer? Hey, look, I painted this guy myself! Want to change his gear to be a more accurate representation? Chop it off someone else and give it to him!

(Also: It's not random packaging, so you wont get 50+ Lizardmen when all you want is a couple of Human Archers, or vice-versa. Also, Gandalf is actually a really good model for a Staff Wizard who takes the PP Wizard of the Spiral Tower)

onasuma
2009-05-31, 04:13 PM
I must have pumped in at least $1000 in to warhammer. No, more than that, coming on for $2000. So yeah, it is expensive.

With $600, Id probably pay to go on a 3 day (non-stop) larp. Id probably need to put in a little more of my own depending on the exchange rate but dammit, larping is always good.

Exeson
2009-05-31, 04:33 PM
Dude, two words: Leather Trenchcoat.

^_^