PDA

View Full Version : Wowzas

TheThan
2009-05-29, 12:33 AM
A big thunderstorm just finished passing over my house. So my dad and I turned off the lights, shut down computers and watched the pretty light(ening) show. Anyway the storm has left a lot of people without power, and started a small grass fire outside of town.

The lightening itself was spectacular, Ive seen storms before but for some reason this one was quite the show. Its no wonder that the ancients worshiped gods of thunder and lightening. Its both awe inspiring and terrifying at the same time.

Innis Cabal
2009-05-29, 12:36 AM
Been having them on and off since yesterday. Not a fan

THAC0
2009-05-29, 12:45 AM
We don't get thunderstorms. It's about the only thing I miss.

Recaiden
2009-05-29, 07:00 AM

We have them only very rarely. I wish we had more.:smallfrown:

Mr. Mud
2009-05-29, 07:03 AM
It's something so deeply depressing about the rain that always tends to brighten my mood. I love the rain and thunderstorms... :smalltongue:. And I'm on the US East Coast, and here, we get them frequently.

adanedhel9
2009-05-29, 07:04 AM
I have yet to see any storms this year, and I'm growing anxious. The last two years this area has seen some wonderfully massive storms; I think I've gotten spoiled.

Kris on a Stick
2009-05-29, 07:13 AM
Speak for yourself. It's been raining (and I mean raining) every single day here. Ordinarily this would be fine, except this is a tropical climate, and we're meant to be in the middle of our annual drought. But no. The monsoon couldn't stop at the expected time. It just rained. And rained. And rained. And rained. And rained.
I suppose I should blame Global Warming Climate Change for this.

thubby
2009-05-29, 07:16 AM
i love thunderstorms, but by me it's been nothing but rain and gloom for the past week.

Anuan
2009-05-29, 08:29 AM
I...am a hydrophobe.
This causes me to raise an eyebrow at anybody that actively enjoys thunderstorms.

thubby
2009-05-29, 08:50 AM
I...am a hydrophobe.
This causes me to raise an eyebrow at anybody that actively enjoys thunderstorms.

it ain't the water we're interested in
>:)

ghost_warlock
2009-05-29, 09:00 AM
I love thunderstorms! I get all giddy and excited at the sound of thunder and sight of lightning. Hell, I was even having a blast that time I went camping with my cousin and our tent got knocked down at ~2am by a lightning strike a few feet away. :smallsmile:

craKOOM!

Berserk Monk
2009-05-29, 01:27 PM
I remember when I was little seeing lightning that brightened the entire night sky. It's pretty powerful stuff. And while were on the topic of power outages, a few nights back I was up late on the forums when my TV and lights just suddenly went off. Like, I didn't hear the thunder or anything. Just sudden, unexpected outage. It was kind of creepy. The only light I had was from my laptop.

Canadian
2009-05-29, 02:07 PM
I remember when I was little seeing lightning that brightened the entire night sky. It's pretty powerful stuff. And while were on the topic of power outages, a few nights back I was up late on the forums when my TV and lights just suddenly went off. Like, I didn't hear the thunder or anything. Just sudden, unexpected outage. It was kind of creepy. The only light I had was from my laptop.

What happened next?

THAC0
2009-05-29, 02:49 PM
The best thunderstorm was while I was in HS and was fortunately not home. We had a big rocky ridge right behind our house and lightning struck a tree, traveled through the roots, and blew the rock face out all over the back of our house. All the windows shattered, all the siding had to be replaced, etc. Pretty crazy.

TheThan
2009-05-29, 04:26 PM
Three stories:

I used to live in the mountains when I was a kid/teenager. So we saw quite a few storms of various sorts. It got dangerous though, as lightening has a tendency to strike telephone lines and make the phones in our house ring. So we had to stop answering the phones for fear of getting electrocuted. It got silly when people would try to call us and wed pause just before we answered it. Then we told them to not call us during storms. Nobody believed us that were happening.

My bro was on the high school soccer team, and during one game a thunderstorm came overhead and started striking the ground. One bolt slammed into the field about 20 feet from my bro, fortunately the ground was dry (we typically get dry storms here) so the electricity didnt arc over the field. So nobody got hurt. But they stopped the game almost immediately.

In high school we were required to take two years of physical education (no jokes please), during my freshman year our PE teacher made us swim during a massive storm. We thought he was joking at first but he was serious. So we reluctantly dressed out and jumped into the dive pool to tread water. While we were doing this, lightening started flashing across the sky, and we were watching it as we treaded (fully aware of how dangerous this is). Suddenly a bolt of lightening struck a transformer outside of the pool area (was up on a telephone pole) and blew the crap out of it. Naturally being a teenager I went wow cool! then the teacher blew his little whistle and made us get out of the pool.

[edit]
I just got word that there is another storm getting ready to pass through the area.

wxdruid
2009-05-29, 04:34 PM
We had a lovely thunderstorm yesterday. Lots of lightning and thunder, sheets of rain and the power flickered a couple of times as well. I enjoyed it as I enjoy every thunderstorm. When it hails, I run outside just long enough to collect a few to put in my freezer.

randman22222
2009-05-29, 04:38 PM
Ooooh, this brings back memories of the Coldplay concert I went to. It was a freak thunderstorm, the once-in-a-decade type. (This is the middle east...)
We were all soaking wet, cold, and enjoying it spectacularly. The lightning actually added quite well to the concert. :smallsmile: Good memories.

Erts
2009-05-29, 05:50 PM
We got lots of thunderstorms today...
For some reason, even though I worry about the most obscure things, lightning and thunder has never scared me.

When I was 5 to 10 years old, I used to look out my window which my bed was right next to it at night, and peer out, snug in my bed while I was supposed to be sleeping, and watch the awe-inspiring show in front of me. One of the most fun and cool things I have ever done.

Liffguard
2009-05-29, 05:57 PM
Lightning is the stuff that comes from the sky and makes all the flashes and bangs.

Lightening is the act of something getting lighter.

THAC0
2009-05-29, 08:43 PM

So, after posting that, I find out that there actually was a t-storm out in the valley that resulted in two hikers getting struck my lightning on the mountain back behind my house.

...But I still didn't get to see the lightning or hear the thunder.