PDA

View Full Version : Week 27-(June 29-5th of July) Steampunk avatar week

Pages : 1 [2]

Stormthorn
2009-06-28, 11:32 PM
I usualy dont participate in these week things but can someone steampunk my avatar? Bronze wings, metal hands, goggles. That sort of stuff. Perhaps a monocle if not goggles.

Since i lack the ability too, ya know. Other peoples images are smooth. Mine always have visable pixels*. And recently something happened to Photoshop and all the colors are shifted towards sepia tone so i cant have pure grays, blacks, or whites. Doesnt matter what color setting i use, CMYK, RGB, even grayscale is sepia tone rather than gray.

*I can make it smooth. But for me that involves making a line of a given color and then going in by hand and changing individual pixels to slighty different tones or shades. Any if i do it too much it just looks blurred. Making a single line like that can take an hour constant work. A 120 bo 120 avatar would take a dozen man hours at least for a simple one.

Alteran
2009-06-28, 11:35 PM
Steampunk week has now started for me. Oh yeah! I give my gratitude to Arokh for his modification of my existing avatar (which he also made)!

Edit: He also made this version. Which one do you guys like better?

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/5431/steamcubealteranehg.png

Then there's also versions of both with a gear instead of the heart, but I really love the detail of the gears in the heart.

...can you tell I like this avatar?

billtodamax
2009-06-29, 01:53 AM
Gotta be the tophat. Just look at it!

Eldan
2009-06-29, 05:05 AM
Happy Steampunk week. Changed my avatar twelve hours ago, but was too lazy too post.

SDF
2009-06-29, 05:08 AM
I changed my avatar days ago, because I play by my own rules and no one else's, not even my own.

The Witch-King
2009-06-29, 06:23 AM
Any takers for steampunkifying my avatar? Anyone? Please?

SDF
2009-06-29, 10:33 AM
Any takers for steampunkifying my avatar? Anyone? Please?

I'll give it a go, but it's probably going to take a lot of artistic license for that to get steampunk >_>*

*disclaimer for when it looks radically different than you expect

SDF
2009-06-29, 12:07 PM
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1633/steamshadow.png

I came up with this. http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1633/steamshadow.png

(because metal pith helmets are totally steam punk :smallamused: I basically thought that a gas/breath mask and helmet with a swank jacket were the steampunk equivalent the dark robe fantasy character)

Enjoy!

Khaeta
2009-06-29, 12:10 PM
Stopped being lazy and made the avatar myself. Yays.

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww354/carped20/SteampunkKopaka.png

Random832
2009-06-29, 12:17 PM
Doesnt matter what color setting i use, CMYK, RGB, even grayscale is sepia tone rather than gray.

*psst* It's probably your monitor.

(Or maybe video card color balance settings)

*I can make it smooth. But for me that involves making a line of a given color and then going in by hand and changing individual pixels to slighty different tones or shades. Any if i do it too much it just looks blurred. Making a single line like that can take an hour constant work. A 120 bo 120 avatar would take a dozen man hours at least for a simple one.

Try drawing the avatar bigger and then shrink it down.

Stormthorn
2009-06-29, 12:18 PM
Darn smooth lines. See how smooth his lines look while still being solid. Thats why i cant make my own avatars. I dont know how to do that.

I would love to shrink it but the Avatar that is my base was made for me and i only have a link to it in its 120x120 size.

And its not my moniter because i found that my other photoshop program works fine. The colors look like they should.

Random832
2009-06-29, 01:12 PM
Darn smooth lines. See how smooth his lines look while still being solid. Thats why i cant make my own avatars. I dont know how to do that.

I would love to shrink it but the Avatar that is my base was made for me and i only have a link to it in its 120x120 size.

Make it bigger, draw modifications on it, shrink it down. Make sure your lines are at least as wide as the factor by which you're shrinking it down. Probably should be at least twice as wide to get nice thick lines. (and make sure your program doesn't do anything weird like make diagonal lines a different thickness than horizontal/vertical lines)

And its not my moniter because i found that my other photoshop program works fine. The colors look like they should.

Still could be some sort of color profile settings. Can't really help you any more than that (use the other program?)

Do they just look like that on the screen when it's open, or does it save them that way too?

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-06-29, 04:31 PM
Weeeeeeeeeeee heeeeeeeeee!

Crimmy
2009-06-29, 04:55 PM
GAH! Run away from the Stempunk VT!!
Now with more Electricity!!!!!!

Emperor Ing
2009-06-29, 04:59 PM
Nah, he just looks like hes covered in a blue mist. :smalltongue:

Groundhog
2009-06-29, 05:15 PM
All right, time for everyone to tell me how bad my avatar is. Go on, I can take it.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-06-29, 05:42 PM
Nah, he just looks like hes covered in a blue mist. :smalltongue:
Then... the mist melts flesh. Feel free to panic.

Trizap
2009-06-29, 07:02 PM
hi, my avvy's is all steampunk'd

billtodamax
2009-06-29, 08:20 PM
Oh my god that is awesome VT!

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-06-29, 10:01 PM
Holy ****, VT is awesome!

Wait, why am I surprised! I don't know! Ah!:smallcool:

The Witch-King
2009-06-29, 10:25 PM

(because metal pith helmets are totally steam punk :smallamused: I basically thought that a gas/breath mask and helmet with a swank jacket were the steampunk equivalent the dark robe fantasy character)

Enjoy!

Wow--I like it! Thanks!

Lappy9000
2009-06-30, 10:42 PM
Gads! My superior flesh has been the weak metallic cogs of my warforged cousins! Curse this evil plot!

Avatar courtesy of the amazing kopaka!

Kobold-Bard
2009-07-01, 02:06 AM
If it's not too late could I make an avatar request?

I'd like a Green skinned Kobold wearing a top-hat and tails, playing a huge, clockwork pipe organ. Smoke coming out of the pipes (shaped as musical notes if possible) would be a plus.

I'm relatively unknowing regarding Steampunk, and at absolute zero when it comes to knowledge of making avatars. If any of this is not inkeeping with the feel of the genre, feel free to change anything about it except the green skinned Kobold playing some kind of instrument. If it's not possible to do also feel free to change it. Or feel free to ignore me completely, I feel it would be justified since I'm essentially begging for something I know very little about from people I've never met.

Many thanks in advance
K-B

GrlumpTheElder
2009-07-01, 02:12 PM

Enjoy!

Sorry to be pedantic, but that looks more like a pickelhaube than a pith helmet

But still, Nice :smallsmile:

Emperor Ing
2009-07-01, 02:13 PM
If it's not too late could I make an avatar request?

I'd like a Green skinned Kobold wearing a top-hat and tails, playing a huge, clockwork pipe organ. Smoke coming out of the pipes (shaped as musical notes if possible) would be a plus.

I'm relatively unknowing regarding Steampunk, and at absolute zero when it comes to knowledge of making avatars. If any of this is not inkeeping with the feel of the genre, feel free to change anything about it except the green skinned Kobold playing some kind of instrument. If it's not possible to do also feel free to change it. Or feel free to ignore me completely, I feel it would be justified since I'm essentially begging for something I know very little about from people I've never met.

Many thanks in advance
K-B

Look, you're wearing a jacket with a rapier sheathed inside playing a violin. There is very little I can do besides give you an avatar upgrade :smalltongue:

Kobold-Bard
2009-07-01, 02:17 PM
Look, you're wearing a jacket with a rapier sheathed inside playing a violin. There is very little I can do besides give you an avatar upgrade :smalltongue:

Thanks for clearing it up then, clearly I've misunderstood what this is, so I apologise.

SDF
2009-07-01, 02:18 PM
You're right in your correction. I was mixing my spiked helmet nouns.

onasuma
2009-07-01, 06:01 PM
Bleh, just realised I forgot to change my avatar. Ah well, done it now.

Serpentine
2009-07-01, 10:17 PM
Thanks for clearing it up then, clearly I've misunderstood what this is, so I apologise.Misunderstood how? :smallconfused: Your request looks fine to me... Though you may like to take it to the thread in Arts & Crafts.

Ichneumon
2009-07-03, 10:59 AM
Alright, now this week is almost at and end, any interest in other possible "avatar weeks"? Any ideas?

GrlumpTheElder
2009-07-03, 11:11 AM
Alright, now this week is almost at and end, any interest in other possible "avatar weeks"? Any ideas?

I like J.B. Ganning's suggestion of a Dilbert themed week

or what about Greek and/or Roman Mythology.

petersohn
2009-07-03, 11:13 AM
or what about Greek and/or Roman Mythology.
That would be great.

Crimmy
2009-07-03, 11:17 AM
Third-ed now.

Khaeta
2009-07-03, 12:18 PM
Sounds like fun. No clue what I'd do for it, though.

Emperor Ing
2009-07-03, 12:37 PM

I still like 'kobold week' but I wouldnt mind greek mythology and whatnot week. No idea what'd I do for it though.

Ichneumon
2009-07-03, 12:40 PM
I think it seems like the majority wants to do Greek Mythology week, so I think we should do that first, maybe 20-26 July? We could do Kobold week after that? EDIT: or turn it into a more generic "draconic" week to make it more appealing to everyone?

Khaeta
2009-07-03, 12:43 PM
Ooh! Draconic! Definitely need to do that, I started a really awesome dragon avatar...

But greek mythology is good too. Suggestions as to what the heck I should do to/with/about my avatar are welcome :smalltongue:.

EDIT: Wait, 3 weeks? Is is always a 3 week wait? Cause I won't be around then. (which might solve my problem of indecision :smallwink:) Also, more importantly, I'm impatient and get bored easily.

The Bushranger
2009-07-03, 01:21 PM
Draconic Week sounds cool to me!

Ichneumon
2009-07-03, 01:32 PM
I'm assuming The Randomizer is okay with that and that it fulfills his "kobold week"-wish. My proposition is therefore the following:

13-19 July: Greek Mythology week
27 July- 2 August: Draconic week

Recaiden
2009-07-03, 01:34 PM
Those seem too early. There should be several weeks in between, at least.

Khaeta
2009-07-03, 01:34 PM
Sure, sounds good! Although that might mean I'll miss draconic week :smallyuk:. Oh well...

@V well, I suppose that these are supposed to be special, not the norm, so that's a good point...maybe back to original plan? (ignore my whining, I just like complaining :smallwink:)

GrlumpTheElder
2009-07-03, 02:21 PM
But greek mythology is good too. Suggestions as to what the heck I should do to/with/about my avatar are welcome :smalltongue:.

If in Doubt, add a toga and some grape vines...

Emperor Ing
2009-07-03, 03:21 PM
I'm assuming The Randomizer is okay with that and that it fulfills his "kobold week"-wish. My proposition is therefore the following:

13-19 July: Greek Mythology week
27 July- 2 August: Draconic week

Your assumption is accurate

But just one nitpick, might wanna push back timing on the avatar weeks. 13-19 is just a little bit too soon.

Ichneumon
2009-07-03, 03:33 PM
I'm never good at time tables, so people want something more like this?

20-26 July: Greek Mythology week
3- 9 August: Draconic week

Quincunx
2009-07-03, 04:03 PM
Those gaps look workable, although I may bow out of both. I spend most of my time qualified for Greek mythology anyway. Draconic Week will have the advantage of many pre-existing, gorgeous avatars. . .hmm. . .well, it's not iron-clad that you have to have yourself re-interpreted as an avatar. I may make a temporary avatar adoption.

Emperor Ing
2009-07-03, 04:04 PM
Again, I have to complain about the time gaps, this time for Drac Week. I know I know. :smallsigh:

edit: Then again...[/indecision]

Ichneumon
2009-07-03, 04:08 PM
Again, I have to complain about the time gaps, this time for Drac Week. I know I know. :smallsigh:

edit: Then again...[/indecision]

If you have no problem with delaying Draconic week even more, what do you propose?

Emperor Ing
2009-07-03, 04:21 PM
eh, just ignore it. it worked out fine with Steampunk/XKCD week.
:smalltongue:

Ichneumon
2009-07-03, 04:31 PM
eh, just ignore it. it worked out fine with Steampunk/XKCD week.

Okay, I'll make the new threads in a few days.

Serpentine
2009-07-04, 01:06 AM
Hm. I think I'm actually all set for both of those...
Wait, was Allecto, Bringer of Grief Greek or Roman? And does it matter? I think she was Roman, but Furies are both anyway... I'll be right.

Cryssandra
2009-07-04, 01:22 AM
I'm a bit late for steampunk week, but oh well may as well make the next two days count!

Icewalker
2009-07-04, 01:30 AM
Well, I will DEFINITELY want some nice stuff with regards to Greek mythology, seeing as I just started a parkour group named after Hermes. Good stuff, Greek mythology.

Also, if anyone wants to combine BOTH Greek and Draconic, I offer you this which I found looking for drawings of the caduceus:
http://th06.deviantart.net/fs37/300W/i/2008/260/2/c/Dragon_Caduceus_by_erlondeiel.jpg

Serpentine
2009-07-04, 01:40 AM
That is really cool.

Frick >.<

Quick, someone else do it before I succumb!

Ashen Lilies
2009-07-04, 01:47 AM
If in Doubt, add a toga and some grape vines...

You're thinking of the Romans, Grlump. What was your next suggestion, a laurel? :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2009-07-04, 01:48 AM
ZING! :smallbiggrin:

Ichneumon
2009-07-04, 01:54 AM
We could include Romans in the greek mythology week, just to make it a big bigger and also fill that category and fulfill the needs of people who want to do that.

Serpentine
2009-07-04, 02:05 AM
How about Classical Week?

Ashen Lilies
2009-07-04, 02:05 AM
But... But... The Roman Gods are like Made in Taiwan versions of the Greek Gods...

Trizap
2009-07-04, 02:06 AM
We could include Romans in the greek mythology week, just to make it a big bigger and also fill that category and fulfill the needs of people who want to do that.

..............but all the Romans did was take Greek culture and paint it a different color.........all the gods we basically the same, they just had different names.....

edit: ninja'd

Ichneumon
2009-07-04, 02:11 AM
But... But... The Roman Gods are like Made in Taiwan versions of the Greek Gods...

Well not exactly, you've got Romulus and Remus and they dressed differently, which is I would say quite important for an avatar week.

I think we should do Classical week, like Serpentine said.

Serpentine
2009-07-04, 02:15 AM
That's not entirely true, guys... The Romans had their own rituals, own religious sects and official worship, had their own myths (for example, the various stories relating to the founding of Rome), their own monsters, their own legends, their own takes on and details of the gods, and so on. If we make it "Classical or Greco-Roman Avatar Week", as opposed to "Classical or Greco-Roman Mythology Week", we'll also have their different histories. If I recall correctly, things like Mithras would be Roman-only.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-04, 02:15 AM
If we do classical, then might I suggest including Ancient Egyptian?

Serpentine
2009-07-04, 02:20 AM
Nah, I think Egyptian (and/or African and/or Middle Eastern/Persian/whatevern) is a week of its own. And, again if I recall correctly, Egypt doesn't come under Classical. edit: Yep, Classical specifically refers to Greece and the Roman Empire(s).

edit: BUT. You did make me think that a muppet/puppet week would be pretty snazzy.

Ichneumon
2009-07-04, 02:21 AM
Nah, I think Egyptian (and/or African and/or Middle Eastern/Persian/whatevern) is a week of its own. And, again if I recall correctly, Egypt doesn't come under Classical.

Yes, although I have nothing against an Egyptian week, I think it is too far away from the Greek/Roman-theme to really work with it.

Icewalker
2009-07-04, 02:34 AM
...and if we did THAT, I'd have to either get a character from my campaign or use one already created, as it's centered around the Marruspawn. Nice.

Ichneumon
2009-07-04, 05:15 AM
I had another idea, what about cloak/cape day?

Dogmantra
2009-07-04, 05:29 AM
You mean like a "Superhero week" sort of thing?

Ichneumon
2009-07-04, 05:37 AM
You mean like a "Superhero week" sort of thing?

Well, partly, but more general, so including fantasy-style cloaks.

Serpentine
2009-07-04, 06:09 AM
We've pretty much agreed on Greco-Roman Week followed by Draconic Week, haven't we? If you really want to keep looking that far into the future, here's what the last planning thread came up with:

LOLoots
Party
Musical
Lolita
Mythology Week.
Wild West Week.
Cyberpunk Week.
Joss Whedon Week.
Zombie
Toga Party
Hobo
Sub-culture
Non-oots Webcomic
Pie
Invisible
Standard OotS
Unusual
Kobold (-> draconic)
.Alignment switch week (Lawful good becomes Chaotic evil, Lawful neutral becomes chaotic neutral)
Gender swap week (edit: This is already an annual event)
Team Fortress week
Inanimate object week.
Monster week
Alien week
Teddy bear week
8-bit week
Children week
Old smelly person week
Mii week (edit: Whut?)
Lego week
Crazy Person week
Final Fantasy Week
Mario Week
Lord of the Rings week
Sonic Week
Legend of Zelda week
Adventure

edit: Bolding the ones I particularly like. Though really, I think the two planned ones are GREAT! :smallbiggrin:

Ichneumon
2009-07-04, 08:28 AM
Oh sure, we are going to do the two planned ones.

GrlumpTheElder
2009-07-04, 09:59 AM
Sub-culture
Non-oots Webcomic
Pie
Invisible
Standard OotS
Unusual

I like the sound of Pie themed avatar week :smallamused:

Khaeta
2009-07-04, 02:07 PM
Pie :smallconfused:? How in the world would you pie-ify an OOTS avatar?
hmm, I must meditate on this...

Anyway, the week is drawing to a close, and now I have to decide what avatar I'm going to keep up after this. I've gotten feedback as to the "uniqueness" of my current avatar, so should I put up the original version of that, or return to my beguiler avatar?

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww354/carped20/OOTSBeguilerv2-1-1.png or http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww354/carped20/OOTSKopaka.png

(before you ask what 2nd one is, see spoiler in sig)

Also, does it end on the 5th in the morning, or at the end of the 5th?

Crimmy
2009-07-05, 09:50 AM
Well not exactly, you've got Romulus and Remus and they dressed differently, which is I would say quite important for an avatar week.

I think we should do Classical week, like Serpentine said.

Romulus and Remus were the founders of Rome, not gods.

EDIT:
Legend of Zelda is never a bad thing.

But, sure, Pie is interesting.
And of course, draconic is something I have never done, so I pretty much go for Classical week.

Jesse Drake
2009-07-05, 09:53 AM
Greco Roman eh... Well, I've already got a draconic avatar, but whats LOLOOTS? I get the two acronyms, but what's it mean? Sorry if it's obvious, just bare with me.

Ashen Lilies
2009-07-05, 10:04 AM
LOLcats + OotS = LOLOotS

Jesse Drake
2009-07-05, 10:08 AM
... ok

Honestly, I had to google that, but I know what they are.

Ashen Lilies
2009-07-05, 10:29 AM
Lucky bastard. You were better off not knowing. :smalltongue:

Jesse Drake
2009-07-05, 10:42 AM
I know, but I can't unlearn things... Or can I. Once I figure that one out, free LOLcat wipes for everyone!

Serpentine
2009-07-05, 11:33 AM
Romulus and Remus were the founders of Rome, not gods.Noone said they were... :smallconfused:

I think Alecto's the only Greco-Roman themed avatar I've made, but if I do have others anyone's welcome to 'em. Maybe I've done some monsters...

Khaeta
2009-07-05, 11:37 AM
Romulus and Remus were the founders of Rome, not gods.

Actually, both were demigods, being the sons of the war god Mars. I suppose that's not quite gods, but it's close enough (plenty of examples of god/mortal progeny that are considered gods).

Crimmy
2009-07-05, 03:05 PM
Actually, both were demigods, being the sons of the war god Mars. I suppose that's not quite gods, but it's close enough (plenty of examples of god/mortal progeny that are considered gods).

Next thing you're gonna say is that half a something is just like something.
Voilą! You have solved the problem of economy!
Now we can pay with half a dollar, peso, euro, etc. and will still pay off our debts. :smallannoyed:

Demi is NOT a God, ergo, it cannot count as one.

AS far as I remember, both greeks and romas counted Demigods as another category.
In fact, demigods were taken more as "superhumans" than "Gods".

Khaeta
2009-07-05, 04:27 PM
Now we can pay with half a dollar, peso, euro, etc. and will still pay off our debts. :smallannoyed:

AS far as I remember, both greeks and romas counted Demigods as another category.

Actually, I meant demigod by the definition of half god-half mortal. For example, Dionysus, the Greek god of wine, had a mortal mother and was made immortal by the nymphs who raised him. He is considered the youngest of the Greek pantheon. I don't know the exact criteria of being a god, but I believe Romulus (him, at least, since his brother was killed) was worshipped as a god called Quirinus after he was supposedly taken up to heaven. So I apologize for being unclear in my terminology(and yes, I did a bit of rezearch preceding this rebuttal :smallwink:).

Crimmy
2009-07-05, 05:23 PM
I imagine you do, for I only knoew he was patronized as founder.
I always thought Quirinus was somebody completely diferent.

Thufir
2009-07-05, 05:23 PM

This is all a hippopotamus, however, as the proposed theme was Greco-Roman Mythology, not Greco-Roman Gods.