PDA

View Full Version : Classical Music

Tamburlaine
2009-05-29, 11:01 AM
Ok, so here's the situation: I like classical music quite a lot. However, my itunes is almost bereft of it :smallfrown:. The solution: Buy some! Problem: I don't have much cash (student without a job...) so I can't get very much. So, if you could recommend the best places to start, that would be pretty cool.
Composers I like: JS Bach, Scarlatti, plus all the really popular ones - Mozart, Beethoven, etc...
Thanks in advance, music lovers in the playground!

Semidi
2009-05-29, 11:32 AM
Your local library probably has oodles of classical music you can pick up and give a listen to. My favorites are (minus guys you've already mentioned) Brahms, Mussorgsky, Stravinsky, and Berlioz.

Aidan305
2009-05-29, 12:53 PM
A few of my favourites in chronological order:

Jean-Henri D'Anglebert - Suite no. 3 in D minor
J.S. Bach - Brandenberg Concertos
Josef Hayden - Quartet 62 in C Major
Ludwig van Beethovan - Piano Sonata 21 in C major
Franz Schubert - The Erlking, and the Wandering Miller song cycle
Benjamin Britten - The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra

Athaniar
2009-05-29, 01:22 PM
I'd have to say my #1 favorite is Grieg's In the Hall of the Mountain King. The Toreador aria from Carmen is also very good. Don't know if iTunes has any of them, though.

EDIT: And Pachelbel's Canon, at least if played by that guy on YouTube.

Flame of Anor
2009-05-29, 02:07 PM
How has no one mentioned Mahler or Vaughan Williams

THIS WILL NOT STAND

Sneak
2009-05-29, 02:33 PM
Bach
Mozart
Chopin
DvorŠk
Gershwin
Haydn
Corelli
Beethoven
Handel
Rachmaninov
Scriabin
Liszt
Schumann
Moszkowski
Scarlatti
Mussorgsky

Thufir
2009-05-29, 02:34 PM
J.S. Bach - Mass in B minor
Mahler - Symphony no. 8
Beethoven - Symphony no. 9
Mozart - Requiem

OK, so I have a bit of a bias towards choral music.

Ravens_cry
2009-05-29, 02:49 PM
Pachelbel's Canon.
Franz Schubert's Ave Maria on a classical gutar.
Beethovens Fur Elise and Moonlight Sonata.
DvorŠk's New World Symphony
There's plenty of others, but those are the ones I can think of right now.

Jorkens
2009-05-29, 06:34 PM
In the UK at least you can build up a pretty respectable classical collection by putting an initial layout of about twenty quid into a turntable (or maybe getting a USB one so you can rip your finds to mp3 straight away) and then cruising charity shops for fair amounts of great stuff in good condition for under three quid a throw. That was my tactic as a student.

But yeah, listen to Beethoven, he's the king for a reason. Get symphony number 7 and piano concerto number 4 for starters.

Hazkali
2009-05-30, 06:08 PM
As you are in England, listen to Classic FM. If you don't have a radio, I believe it's streamable through the internet from their website. Because it plays such an eclectic range, it is a good way of finding out what you do and don't like, before investment.

Speaking entirely for myself, I prefer mainly three types of 'classical' music: orchestral arrangements of folk music, a la Vaughan Williams, quite minimalist pieces a la Einaudi, or passionate film scores.

The more baroque music (in which I don't merely include the baroque style, but any music in which a surfeit of notes tries to excuse a lack of passion) holds no interest to me.

Raistlin1040
2009-05-30, 06:21 PM
I note a distinct lack of Tchaikovsky in this thread.

Oh, also Rimsky-Korsakov.

Starscream
2009-05-30, 06:25 PM
Not a single mention if Vivaldi's Four Seasons, either.

And as public domain music, you can probably find a lot of this stuff for free. Unless there is a specific orchestra you are looking for.

13_CBS
2009-05-30, 07:42 PM
To the OP: what kind of "classical" music do you like? Unaccompanied? Chamber? Duet/Trio/Quartet/any combination of a handful of instruments? Orchestral? Concertos? Opera?

Unaccompanied: Bach's unaccompanied pieces for the violin and cello are good places to start. For the violin, try the Partitas (there are 2). The Chacone (for no. 2, IIRC) is one of the most difficult pieces to play on the violin.

Chamber: Ravel's one and only string quartet piece is absolutely beautiful. You can't go wrong with Dvorak's American, either. Puccini's Chrysanthemum is quite good, too. If you prefer earlier works, Mozart and Haydn have written truckloads of stuff.

Orchestral: Excellent orchestral pieces include Berlioz's Symphony Fantastique, Pictures at an Exhibition, Holst's Planets, Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet, Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet Ballet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnDCukzReks), Beethoven's Overture to...uh, that opera he wrote (any three of the Overtures), Tchaikovsky's Little Russian Symphony (I completely forget which number that one is), Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherezade (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_pkRH2DZuw&feature=related) (the violin solo, when played well, will pretty much guarantee you the heart of any fair young lass :smallamused:), plus a gajillion others.

Concertos: I've played only violin ones, but some good ones include Saint Saen's 3rd, Bruch's, uh...3rd? Sibelius, Barber. Other pieces that feature a solo violin but aren't technically concertos include Saint Saen's Rondo Capricioso (the version by Joshua Bell is as sexy as music ever gets) and Sarasate's Zigunerweisen.

Opera: I, uh, don't really listen to opera.

As to where to get these pieces...well, legally, the only real place I can think of is iTunes, which is where music gets cheap as it gets (as far as I know)...although it's strange that iTunes doesn't have what you're looking for.

Robert_Frazer
2009-05-30, 07:58 PM
With further reference to classical music in the UK, HMV is a genuinely excellent place to start building up the collection - they stock both the Naxos collections and their own proprietory range of classical music (now badged with a Classic FM marque), both of which are highly affordable - you can buy four albums for twenty pounds with most composers.

As you are in England, listen to Classic FM. If you don't have a radio, I believe it's streamable through the internet from their website. Because it plays such an eclectic range, it is a good way of finding out what you do and don't like, before investment.

I prefer Radio 3 - Classic FM keeps telling me to relax,which if anything gets me more agitated! They also refuse to air Gilbert & Sullivan, and such crimes cannot go unpunished.

Tamburlaine
2009-05-30, 08:36 PM
Wow, them's some good suggestions, guys...
I've started nice and slowly, with the Brandenberg Concertos, I might buy/acquire some more tomorrow.

Also:

...although it's strange that iTunes doesn't have what you're looking for.
I was referring to my own itunes library, not the stuff in the store.

To the OP: what kind of "classical" music do you like? Unaccompanied? Chamber? Duet/Trio/Quartet/any combination of a handful of instruments? Orchestral? Concertos? Opera?
All of the above, but don't go too heavy on the Opera. String quartets being my favourite in general.

Not a single mention if Vivaldi's Four Seasons, either.
Ah, I already have them. Good old Vivaldi.

Thanks for all the input. :smallsmile:

13_CBS
2009-05-30, 08:53 PM
Ah. Gotcha.

In that case, I think you'll have to use the actual iTunes store (assuming you have a credit card, or your parents will let you buy music using their credit card). It's a US dollar a piece, usually (although they get crafty and sell extremely popular pieces only in albums, like Mendelssohn's Octet, mvt 1 :smallmad:), so I think it's as cheap as it gets.

If you like a combination of string quartet music and jazz/rock, you might want to try stuff by a certain quartet called Turtle Island. They're. Freaking. Awesome.

KhorneBerserker
2009-05-30, 10:33 PM
If you like the Baroque era of classical music, I highly recommend the following:

Antonio Vivaldi
Domenico Scarlatti (his Harpsichord Sonatas are fantastic)
Georg Philipp Telemann
NiccolÚ Paganini
and of course, Bach

Kane
2009-05-30, 10:37 PM
Try www.pandora.com

Make a 'classical' channel, or just chose your favorite composer. It's a godsend.

Jorkens
2009-05-31, 05:59 PM
I prefer Radio 3 - Classic FM keeps telling me to relax,which if anything gets me more agitated! They also refuse to air Gilbert & Sullivan, and such crimes cannot go unpunished.
Yes, I much prefer Radio 3. In my experience they tend to be more diverse, more serious and generally just more interesting. You need to be vaguely aware of the schedule and the fact that you can't always just tune in and get something you want but the range and depth of their programming is immense. Watch out for their full series of Proms broadcasts every summer, for instance...

u-gotNOgame
2009-05-31, 06:12 PM
I myself am a fan of some strong romantic music. I must say that Gustav Mahler's Symphony number 2 in C Minor "Resurrection" is my absolute favorite piece of classical music, other then that I'm a fan of Bach and Mozart. As for string quartets most of stereo typical big composers have written 20+ string quartets, just find one you like, Beethoven's being my favorite.

-UGNG

Nameless
2009-05-31, 06:18 PM
I like Mozart (Yes I know he's technically symphonic music but oh well), Beethoven and Antonio Vivaldi. :smallbiggrin:

Vaynor
2009-05-31, 06:34 PM
OK so he isn't exactly classical, but I feel obligated as his descendant to mention George Gershwin. Great composer.

Linkavitch
2009-06-01, 10:27 AM
Oh, also Rimsky-Korsakov.

R-K's Flight of the Bumblebee is awesome.:smallsmile:

Also, JS Bach's, Tocatta in D Minor is aazing when played on an organ.

Kaelaroth
2009-06-01, 11:53 AM
I strongly suggest Carl Orff's Carmina Burana if you're looking for some bombastic (in parts) choral music. Also, try Elgar, and Vaughn Williams.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-01, 12:05 PM
Problem: I don't have much cash

Solution:

1) Find somewhere that will stream the music you like, such as youtube or Classic FM (http://www.classicfm.co.uk) or suchlike.

2)Download Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) and the LAME MP3 encoder (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&item=lame-mp3).

3) Enable "Stereo Mix" on your computer

4) Record streamed music, convert to mp3 and put it on an mp3 player.

The quality isn't great, but it's perfectly good enough. I do it all the time.

Other solution:

1) Get BitTorrent

Dienekes
2009-06-01, 12:37 PM
I got all of mine from my library.

And the greatest song of all time is Night on Bald Mountain by Mussorgsky, followed by Marche Slave from Tchaikovsky.

But really someone made a list on youtube of the 100 greatest classical music (10 2 minute videos with 10 short clips on each) that has excellent ideas for any classical fan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPq4DmmeUSw&feature=PlayList&p=3B196CB47BC69CC1&index=0

Hazkali
2009-06-04, 11:35 AM
I forgot the 1812.

How could I forget the 1812?

It has cannons!!!

Ozymandias
2009-06-05, 01:11 AM
I will contend that Debussy's La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MswHKA4dako) is the most beautiful song ever performed.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2009-06-05, 05:11 AM
I got all of mine from my library.

And the greatest song of all time is Night on Bald Mountain by Mussorgsky, followed by Marche Slave from Tchaikovsky.

But really someone made a list on youtube of the 100 greatest classical music (10 2 minute videos with 10 short clips on each) that has excellent ideas for any classical fan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPq4DmmeUSw&feature=PlayList&p=3B196CB47BC69CC1&index=0

I was very surprised that I knew nearly all of those. Thanks, if I ever need any of those, I'll know where to find out what they're actualy called.

LCR
2009-06-05, 05:38 AM
Has anyone mentioned Debussy yet? I like Debussy. Especially "La Cathťdrale engloutie".

Tamburlaine
2009-06-05, 06:27 AM
Ok, just bought Beethoven's fifth, and Ravel's string quartet. Next up: probably some more Bach or Scarlatti. So many good suggestions, so little time.

EDIT: Curses! pandora.com will not work for me here in the uk!

Mauve Shirt
2009-06-05, 06:38 AM
Mahler, Beethoven, Mozart and Satie are some of my favorites.

GrlumpTheElder
2009-06-09, 04:33 PM
Wagner's 'Gotterdammerrung' from his ring cycle is just pure excelence.

Oh, and so is Smetena's 'Ma Vlast' (bit of contrast there)

Yarram
2009-06-10, 05:01 AM
J.S. Bach - Mass in B minor
Mahler - Symphony no. 8
Beethoven - Symphony no. 9
Mozart - Requiem

OK, so I have a bit of a bias towards choral music.

Poo to you. I was going to say all of those.

Handel's Messiah is good too.

Edgar's Coronation March

GoC
2009-06-10, 08:58 AM
Ok, just bought Beethoven's fifth, and Ravel's string quartet. Next up: probably some more Bach or Scarlatti. So many good suggestions, so little time.

EDIT: Curses! pandora.com will not work for me here in the uk!

I fail to see why you bought something that's in the public domain.:smallconfused:

Tamburlaine
2009-06-10, 12:05 PM
I fail to see why you bought something that's in the public domain.:smallconfused:

Because performers/record company employees/whoever need to eat as well, not just dead composers.

...wait, that's not right.:smallconfused:

unstattedCommoner
2009-06-10, 12:14 PM

Because copyright subsists in all individual recordings, which therefore are not in the public domain.

Had he wished to do so, he could have obtained a public domain edition of the full score, copied out a set of parts, got together a group of his friends to play, and recorded the result.