PDA

View Full Version : David Tennant as Hamlet

Raenir Salazar
2009-05-29, 12:25 PM
Anyone know if this is recorded anywhere?

Wraithy
2009-05-29, 01:30 PM
Not yet, but I'm fairly certain there will be one soon (if I've understood your question).

I can't really speak for the London version, but I think allot will be lost in putting it on film. I'm not saying they shouldn't, but it will probably lack the power and presence of the high calibre cast.

Did you see either of the versions on stage?

Agroking
2009-05-30, 09:40 AM
I know this isn't Shakepeare, But:

Everyone says that David Tennant is a loser as the Doctor and that Christopher Eccleston was the best recent Doctor, but I think his unorthodox eye acting and other traits of his work extremely well. Solemn when needed. Ecstatic when needed.
Above all of this, I think that Tom Baker was the best.

Rutskarn
2009-05-30, 06:06 PM
Haven't seen any David Tennant recordings, no.

If I was looking for them, that probably would have helped.

What? I like the Branagh version, awright?

HPsauce
2009-05-31, 07:16 AM
I know this isn't Shakepeare, But:

Everyone says that David Tennant is a loser as the Doctor and that Christopher Eccleston was the best recent Doctor, but I think his unorthodox eye acting and other traits of his work extremely well. Solemn when needed. Ecstatic when needed.

Me and my mate (Emily) love David Tennat and he has been the best doctor so far, she has posters covering all of her walls in her bedroom and it is a big bedroom, Tom Baker was good, but David Tennant as the doctor was supposed to represent that the doctor had changed, Christopher Eccleston was representing the twisted soul that lerked with in the doctor.

Castaras
2009-05-31, 07:34 AM

Yes. Tom Baker is the best doctor.

I dunno, I found that David Tennant was too changeable. He was too bright, and exaggerated his emotions too much.

I personally found that he really only had four main emotions - Despair, Terror, Estatic, and Rage. All being over-the-top and nothing in between. Which is why I preferred Eccleston because he actually could do emotions that were in between, which gave a much better performance, Imo.

I can see Tennant as Hamlet though. I'm sure he can do all the despair easily.

Kaelaroth
2009-05-31, 08:14 AM
Tennant's Hamlet is soon to be televised on the BBC, apparently.

HPsauce
2009-05-31, 09:43 AM
Don't know what will be like but if it is anything like his acting in Doctor Who then i will be brill, well to me anyway.:smallbiggrin:

Phaedra
2009-05-31, 10:04 AM
Tennant's Hamlet is soon to be televised on the BBC, apparently.

This. They're re-filming especially for the TV showing, with the original cast from the RSC performance. There's no recording of the original play performance itself, I don't think. Behold the RSC's info! (http://www.rsc.org.uk/content/8455.aspx)

I went to see Tennant as Hamlet in Stratford, and he was indeed very good. Very manic and charismatic Hamlet (similar in a way to his portrayal of Doctor Who - it worked well, but I do wonder about his range as an actor). You could tell he was more used to television though - some of his lines were hard to hear in a theatre and the expression hard to see. Patrick Stewart (Claudius/Ghost) was the better play actor overall, but Tennant was still good.

Ravens_cry
2009-05-31, 12:21 PM
I remember watching a BBC version of Hamlet with Derek Jacobi as Hamlet and Patrick Stewart as the murderous Uncle, and he had hair. In fact, he looked quite Roman.

BlueWizard
2009-05-31, 11:35 PM
He is a good actor, and I think he'd bring something to Hamlet.

Platinum_Mongoose
2009-06-01, 12:43 AM
Everyone says that David Tennant is a loser as the Doctor...

Everyone, eh? Bold claim. Guess I'm not everyone.

golentan
2009-06-01, 02:58 AM
Everyone, eh? Bold claim. Guess I'm not everyone.

I guess I'm not part of that either. But I already knew that about myself.

I think I saw Tennant's hamlet online somewhere on youtube, but I didn't click the link and can't find it now, so...

He's a lot of fun. Did you catch Casanova? "You sir. You love your wife. *I* love your wife. Doesn't that make us on the same side, even a little bit?"

bosssmiley
2009-06-01, 05:40 AM
I remember watching a BBC version of Hamlet with Derek Jacobi as Hamlet and Patrick Stewart as the murderous Uncle, and he had hair. In fact, he looked quite Roman.

Sorry, but wig. (hopefully not as bad as the one they made him wear in "I, Clavdivs" though)

David Tennant as Hamlet? Pass I think. The man has three modes of expression: angry stare, gleefully shouty, and sad. Jason Statham has better dramatic range FFS. :smalltongue:

"Ta be, aure nut ta be. Dat iz da qweschun..."