PDA

View Full Version : What to Brew? [Any Edition]

Xallace
2009-05-30, 07:46 PM
So I haven't contributed anything of my own to the homebrew forum for a while, and I'll admit I've had "creator's block" for a little while now. So, I thought the Homebrewers could be so kind as to give me that jump start I need!

Here are the things I have started but never finished:

The Zeits: Not satisfied with any "time mage" class I've ever seen (no offense to those who made them, just not my style), I came up with these guys. A "Zeit" (german for "time," because it sounds cool) is a mortal creature that perceives time as a plane (like a new axis on a graph) instead of a linear progression of events. Because of this, Zeits can utilize "Zeitreise," the ability to traverse the temporal landscape as easily as they could walk down the street.
It is currently conceptualized as a 3.5 base class (although I've been thinking 4th, too).
The Puppeteer: Based sort-of on the warlock, puppeteers are part telekinetic and part artificer. Those with this power utilize bonded "puppets," item familiars that work as weapons and tools. They can build mundane upgrades of great variety into their puppets, allowing them great utility.
Yeah, it's been done before, but I wanted to try the "puppeteer" idea with different mechanics. I thought I could make it smooth and easy.
New Warlock Sources: Not counting generically dark warlocks, Infernal warlocks are the only warlocks in 3.5 to receive much material. I mean, sure, fey get some, but they're really out gunned. The thing is, other sources are mentioned as possible warlock origins, and they receive no support at all. So, this would be coming up with new invocations and alternate class features for Chaos, Death, Ancestral, and Fey warlocks.
The Mach Paladin: I had a class called the "Mercurial Avenger" on here a long while back, a prestige class for people who wanted to be agile holy warriors (and by "agile" I mean "the Flash").
The Sublime Sub-Nine Martial arts evolve over time, and the disciplines in the Book of Nine Swords are no different. As different races pick up the same maneuvers, they combine them with unique racial abilities. New maneuvers, feats, and prestige classes for non-standard (even monstrous) races that want to follow the Sublime Way.
From lycanthropes to thri-kreen to even Uldra and Dvati, taking racial abilities into account and combining them with martial disciplines to make (almost) whole new fighting styles!
(Home)Brewing!: New drinks, drunkeness/sobriety rules, the church of beer!
Inspired by arguskos and Katasi

{table=head]Zeit|Puppeteer|Paladin|Warlock|Sub-Nine|Posts discussing Pokemon|Beer!
3|5|2|8|2|5|2[/table]

So, good people of the Playground.... what should I go with? What would interest you to see? Any of them? "None" is an OK answer, it just means I'll have to think harder!

Mando Knight
2009-05-30, 07:51 PM
The Mach Paladin: I had a class called the "Mercurial Avenger" on here a long while back, a prestige class for people who wanted to be agile holy warriors (and by "agile" I mean "the Flash").

These are the class's holy (http://archives.bulbagarden.net/w/upload/3/3f/078Rapidash.png) mounts (http://archives.bulbagarden.net/w/upload/f/f8/ArtGablias.png). :smalltongue:

Lord Loss
2009-05-30, 07:54 PM
So I haven't contributed anything of my own to the homebrew forum for a while, and I'll admit I've had "creator's block" for a little while now. So, I thought the Homebrewers could be so kind as to give me that jump start I need!

Here are the things I have started but never finished:

The Zeits: Not satisfied with any "time mage" class I've ever seen (no offense to those who made them, just not my style), I came up with these guys. A "Zeit" (german for "time," because it sounds cool) is a mortal creature that perceives time as a plane (like a new axis on a graph) instead of a linear progression of events. Because of this, Zeits can utilize "Zeitreise," the ability to traverse the temporal landscape as easily as they could walk down the street.
It is currently conceptualized as a 3.5 base class (although I've been thinking 4th, too).
The Puppeteer: Based sort-of on the warlock, puppeteers are part telekinetic and part artificer. Those with this power utilize bonded "puppets," item familiars that work as weapons and tools. They can build mundane upgrades of great variety into their puppets, allowing them great utility.
Yeah, it's been done before, but I wanted to try the "puppeteer" idea with different mechanics. I thought I could make it smooth and easy.
New Warlock Sources: Not counting generically dark warlocks, Infernal warlocks are the only warlocks in 3.5 to receive much material. I mean, sure, fey get some, but they're really out gunned. The thing is, other sources are mentioned as possible warlock origins, and they receive no support at all. So, this would be coming up with new invocations and alternate class features for Chaos, Death, Ancestral, and Fey warlocks.
The Sublime Sub-Nine Martial arts evolve over time, and the disciplines in the Book of Nine Swords are no different. As different races pick up the same maneuvers, they combine them with unique racial abilities. New maneuvers, feats, and prestige classes for non-standard (even monstrous) races that want to follow the Sublime Way.
From lycanthropes to thri-kreen to even Uldra and Dvati, taking racial abilities into account and combining them with martial disciplines to make (almost) whole new fighting styles!

So, good people of the Playground.... what should I go with? What would interest you to see? Any of them? "None" is an OK answer, it just means I'll have to think harder!

I like the pupeteer, as well as the zeit. new class features would be nice for a warlock, but I think we should create a toatally new one. Rock on, dude!

I'll help in any way I can. Yah Mon!

Xallace
2009-05-30, 09:27 PM
These are the class's holy (http://archives.bulbagarden.net/w/upload/3/3f/078Rapidash.png) mounts (http://archives.bulbagarden.net/w/upload/f/f8/ArtGablias.png). :smalltongue:

I'll give you Rapidash, I don't know the other one.

I like the pupeteer, as well as the zeit. new class features would be nice for a warlock, but I think we should create a toatally new one. Rock on, dude!

I'll help in any way I can. Yah Mon!

A totally new warlock? What don't you like about the current one?

SurlySeraph
2009-05-30, 09:33 PM
I'd love to see new Warlock sources (particularly Death) and the Sublime Sub-Nine.

Gorgondantess
2009-05-30, 10:17 PM
New warlock sources. It's a cool class, and could use some more fleshing out.

ErrantX
2009-05-30, 10:56 PM
I say go for new Warlock stuff. Love warlocks!

-X

togapika
2009-05-30, 11:14 PM
I like all of them. If I had to say, least interested in the Puppeteer, but I like all of them.

Pramxnim
2009-05-30, 11:14 PM
Here's a little something (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112011) I cooked up a while back that could help warlocks. They were first made as an effort to support the tattooed monk I made, but the Fey and Fiendish heritage lines apply equally well to warlocks. You can make up your own versions for the other possible sources of warlock powers too, if you like.

Cheers

DracoDei
2009-05-31, 03:07 AM
At the moment the Mach Paladin strikes my interest. And, as a more serious alternative to Pokemon, might I suggest a Wing Dragon as an advanced mount (with the appropriate feat).

On second thought though, I am going to have to say that the race specific ToB based stuff would be even better...

Warclam
2009-05-31, 06:45 PM
Hmm... the Mach Paladin and Zeit are pretty cool, but the one that really got me interested was the Puppeteer.

Xallace
2009-05-31, 08:50 PM
Hmm, looks like I should keep track of this.

{table=head]Zeit|Puppeteer|Paladin|Warlock|Sub-Nine|Posts discussing Pokemon
3|5|2|6|2|5[/table]

OK, it's not entirely accurate I suppose (I just went with whatever you all said you were MOST interested in), but warlocks got a definite lead there. Thanks everyone so far!

DamnedIrishman
2009-05-31, 08:55 PM
:elan: "Puppeteer!"

I agree with him. Another vote for Puppeteer.

Knaight
2009-05-31, 10:20 PM
Warlock Stuff sounds good to me.

Katasi
2009-06-01, 12:53 AM

That second one is definatly not holy, and I'm not sure about mounting anything with so many spikes... not sure about mounting rapidash without fire immunity either though.

Karma Guard
2009-06-01, 02:11 AM
That second one is definatly not holy, and I'm not sure about mounting anything with so many spikes... not sure about mounting rapidash without fire immunity either though.

Rapidash are basically Nightmares without the, you know. Nightmares.

In their pokedex entry it's mentioned that they can control whom their flames burn. ( ._.)./ This is how one rides a horse that happens to be on fire.

Katasi
2009-06-01, 04:42 AM
Rapidash are basically Nightmares without the, you know. Nightmares.

In their pokedex entry it's mentioned that they can control whom their flames burn. ( ._.)./ This is how one rides a horse that happens to be on fire.

Be that as it may....if it can control it's flames like that then it would probably be intelligent, which means legally that it might disagree with you from time to time.... and it's a flaming horse with you on it's back. How else would it show it's displeasure than to let you feel the flames for a bit.

Pyrusticia
2009-06-01, 05:16 AM
Warlock, definitely! I love playing around with warlocks and more options would be awesome!

Also, puppeteer sounds interesting...just from the short description you gave, I'm seeing something like that Sand Village character from Naruto. Is that what you had in mind?

Xallace
2009-06-01, 05:59 PM
Also, puppeteer sounds interesting...just from the short description you gave, I'm seeing something like that Sand Village character from Naruto. Is that what you had in mind?

Yeah, I'll admit he was a definite inspiration. The class would certainly NOT be just a d20 version of his abilities, though. I feel there's a lot you can do beyond what that character could.

arguskos
2009-06-01, 06:22 PM
I'm disappointed, I was expected some awesome alcohol homebrews (pun totally intended).

In any case, I like the idea of the Zeit. Let's see more chronomancers! :smallbiggrin:

Oh, and just to toss your numbers out of whack, gogo Arcanine! Screw Rapi-fail. :smallamused:

Katasi
2009-06-01, 07:12 PM
I'm disappointed, I was expected some awesome alcohol homebrews (pun totally intended).

To be honest that's what I expected to.

Xallace
2009-06-01, 07:22 PM
To be honest that's what I expected to.

Eh, why not? I'll add the idea to the list.

Set
2009-06-01, 10:14 PM
A vote for non-Infernal Warlocks!

For a feylock, some nature-themed stuff would be cool.

I could see an Entangling Blast invocation that causes vines and creepers to wrap around the struck target (creating them in the process, the target can be underwater, in midair or in the middle of the gobi desert), entangling them. When broken (or after 1 minute), the vines wither away to dust.

An invocation that summons a pair of wolves (and cannot be re-used unless the original pair die) would be neat. As levels increase, the wolves might Advance normally (or become Dire), so that the invocation remains remotely useful at mid levels.

An invocation that doused an area with hallucinogenic spores and glittering motes of light, acting like a short term confusion spell with a dash of glitterdust (just revealing invisible, not blinding people) could be thematic. Perhaps it goes one step further and glittering material clings to those affected, conferring a faerie fire-like effect as well...

And then there are the inevitable dragon-themed warlocks (with the dragonfire adept being pretty much already that very thing), celestial themed warlocks (blinding celestial rays, holy smites, protection from evil invocations, etc.), illithid themed warlocks (must resist calling them Psylocks and having the iconic be a hot asian babe in a swimsuit! with dazing and confusing blast invocations, and various other 'psionic' effects such as a mind-reading invocation that causes sickening / nauseating pain in the subject), genie-themed warlocks (create food / items invocation (created stuff vanishes when new stuff is created, only so much 'smokeless fire' is available), create illusions, conjure whirlwinds...), etc.

I played a far realms-themed daelkyr half-blood warlock in Xendrik Expeditions, whose 'summon swarm' invocation conjured alien creatures that mechanically functioned as a bat swarm (for instance) but resembled flying starfish with tentacles that ended in toothed pads like those of a displacer beast, spinning lazily through the air like sentient self-propelled shuriken, slashing at foes with their tentacles. Each of his invocations had similar 'special effects' to make them creepy and far-realms-esque, but functioned mechanically like the standard Summon Swarm, Shatter and Spider Climb invocations. A special 'aberrant-lock' invocation to summon a pseudonatural critter (or take on the pseudonatural template oneself!) would be thematically cool.

StormingMarcus
2009-06-02, 01:50 PM
Other sources for warlock powers?

Seconded!

Xallace
2009-06-03, 06:41 PM
Alright, so if I counted it up right:

First Place! New Warlock Sources; so that's on the agenda.

Second Place! It's a tie! The puppeteer and... people... talking about pokemon... The puppeteer!

Third Place! The Zeit!

Comments may continue!