PDA

View Full Version : ‘Arcane Powerhouse’ a different path to ultimate magical might

kentma57
2009-05-31, 12:34 AM
Arcane Powerhouse, a different path to ultimate magical might.

I was at work yesterday, when I began reviewing a problem that had come up at the character building session I had been to a few days earlier. The problem was, that one of the player’s caster level was so far above the useful limit imposed by the spells he knew, he felt that his character’s full potential was not being reached.

This got me thinking what if instead of pursuing more spells, you focused on making the few spells you could cast more powerful. Now obviously the first thing you think of is meta-magic, but for sake of argument we will set those feats aside for now.
What if instead of gaining a level of a casting class, you could gain 2 effective caster levels for the purpose of casting in another class. (For example a Sorcerer 7/Arcane Powerhouse 1, would cast spells at a CL of 9, but would still be limited to 3rd level spells)

The problem we have here is that while this could be good at mid levels, once you reach the point where you can’t get bonuses from a heightened caster level (Ex: fireball’s damage normally caps at 10d6), so what needs to happen is that as you gain levels you also gain the ability to exceed the normal limits of a spell, the new cap is equal to "the original cap + x1.5 your AP level" (For example, if we decided you would get you AP level as a bonus to the CL cap, a Sorcerer 6/AP 5 could cast a fireball for 16d6 damage), at Arcane Powerhouse 5 the cap on effects based on your cater level is removed.

Now we need to take one last look over the class before, I work on the final build.
I have a few things to get out of the way:
-d6 hit die
-good Will save, poor Reflex and Fortitude saves
-5 level prestige class

Requierments:
-caster level 6

Any suggestions, comments, criticism?

Damion,

ps: If any of you remember how to make those nice class charts I would be thankful, otherwise I will dig through old thread until I find one to use as a template.

EDIT: Would you like to see this as a 10 level class instead?

Pramxnim
2009-05-31, 01:00 AM
Good idea I think. Casters without high level spells aren't casters at all, some might argue, but some people would like to keep those overpowered high level spells out of their campaigns, and this is a logical way to keep casters powerful without introducing game-breaking stuff.

There are a few nitpicks I have with your premises though. First of all, Fireball is capped at 10d6, and second of all, giving 20 caster levels from a prestige class is a bit too much. I'd make it a 5-level prestige class and remove the CL cap entirely at 5th level.

Fax's Guide to Homebrewing is stickied in this subforum, that should be what you're looking for for the tables.

Good luck with the project, and I look forward to see what results from this.

kentma57
2009-05-31, 01:12 AM
Thanks, it's two in the morning here, so I probably should have checked about fireball before I posted this. (I will change it next) Now that I think about it, +10 caster level over 5 levels (but with no cap of spell efects), I had considered this method. (but I had not considered using a 5 level prestige class to balance on CL cap, good call.)

Thanks again, I just hope the ideas, come from someone who is more awake than me.

Pramxnim
2009-05-31, 02:10 AM
Worry not. It's 2 PM here, so I'm wide awake :P.

Set
2009-05-31, 09:43 AM
The damage die cap is mostly an issue with Evocations spells, so you could work up an Evocation PrC that allows the person who takes it to choose one evocation spell per level of the PrC and 'bust caps' with it.

It could be five levels long, and he'd be able to exceed the caps by his PrC levels, so that a 10th level Evoker / 5th level 'Overcharger' would be able to cast 15d6 Fireballs (assuming that fireball was one of his five chosen spells).

The PrC would grant full caster progression, otherwise. *If* Magic Missile was a potential choice (since it doesn't have a dice limit, so much as a number of missiles cap, this would be something that would have to either be explicity allowed, or denied, in the PrC text), he could fire 3 extra missiles with each spell (since he'd get another one at CL 11, 13 and 15).

Variations that worked for other Schools would also be possible. The Shadowcraft Mage, which allows an illusionist to 'exceed the caps' of shadow magic percentages, serves as one precedent for this sort of idea.

A Conjuration variant might work like the Summoner from Relics & Rituals, allowing the Conjurer to boost one summoning spell per day per PrC level to function as the next higher level summoning spell, or to strap some metamagics on it for free (allowing her to maximize or empower the number summoned, or twin it for one cast to summon a single monster, or extend it for extra duration). Only a limited amount of summonings per day could be enhanced in this fashion, say, equal to the PrC level plus Int (or Cha/Wis) mod, or something.

Many other schools wouldn't have as many spells powerfully affected by caster level, making this sort of thing possibly not PrC worthy for them. An Abjurer, for instance, might love to have an ability that allowed him to function as if +5 caster level for Dispel Magic checks, but it's not really worth taking a PrC to do so. A feat could cover that easily enough, since it's just one spell (well, two, counting Greater Dispel Magic, but still).

kentma57
2009-06-01, 11:18 AM
The damage die cap is mostly an issue with Evocations spells, so you could work up an Evocation PrC that allows the person who takes it to choose one evocation spell per level of the PrC and 'bust caps' with it.

It could be five levels long, and he'd be able to exceed the caps by his PrC levels, so that a 10th level Evoker / 5th level 'Overcharger' would be able to cast 15d6 Fireballs (assuming that fireball was one of his five chosen spells).

The PrC would grant full caster progression, otherwise. *If* Magic Missile was a potential choice (since it doesn't have a dice limit, so much as a number of missiles cap, this would be something that would have to either be explicity allowed, or denied, in the PrC text), he could fire 3 extra missiles with each spell (since he'd get another one at CL 11, 13 and 15).

Variations that worked for other Schools would also be possible. The Shadowcraft Mage, which allows an illusionist to 'exceed the caps' of shadow magic percentages, serves as one precedent for this sort of idea.

A Conjuration variant might work like the Summoner from Relics & Rituals, allowing the Conjurer to boost one summoning spell per day per PrC level to function as the next higher level summoning spell, or to strap some metamagics on it for free (allowing her to maximize or empower the number summoned, or twin it for one cast to summon a single monster, or extend it for extra duration). Only a limited amount of summonings per day could be enhanced in this fashion, say, equal to the PrC level plus Int (or Cha/Wis) mod, or something.

Many other schools wouldn't have as many spells powerfully affected by caster level, making this sort of thing possibly not PrC worthy for them. An Abjurer, for instance, might love to have an ability that allowed him to function as if +5 caster level for Dispel Magic checks, but it's not really worth taking a PrC to do so. A feat could cover that easily enough, since it's just one spell (well, two, counting Greater Dispel Magic, but still).
Looks like I have some more work cut out for me

Baron Corm
2009-06-01, 11:36 AM
If you increase caster level with the class at the same (or greater, as is the case) rate as you increase the cap, you might as well just flat-out increase damage. You created the class because your player didn't need any more caster level increases. I think that giving him these increases would just frustrate him even more, as he will still be over his cap. Maybe put spellcasting advancement back in, keep the cap raise, and put in some other interesting, "overchannel"-related class features?

kentma57
2009-06-04, 07:23 AM
If you increase caster level with the class at the same (or greater, as is the case) rate as you increase the cap, you might as well just flat-out increase damage. You created the class because your player didn't need any more caster level increases. I think that giving him these increases would just frustrate him even more, as he will still be over his cap. Maybe put spellcasting advancement back in, keep the cap raise, and put in some other interesting, "overchannel"-related class features?

hmm... must take time to review.

Fako
2009-06-05, 01:46 AM
While this may not be exactly what you're looking for, hopefully this will provide a good starting point for you... Prereqs, HD, and skill points aren't included, as I figured you'd work those out with the player in question.

I hope it helps.

EDIT: Revision below. Old version placed into spoiler tags.
ARCANE POWERHOUSE
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Arcane Might (+1 CL), Overchannel (+25%)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+2|Arcane Might (+2 CL, +1 DC), Skill Focus (Concentration)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Arcane Might (+3 CL, +1 DC), Overchannel (+50%)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|Arcane Might (+4 CL, +2 DC), Just the Thing|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Arcane Might (+5 CL, +2 DC), Overchannel (+100%)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Arcane Powerhouses do not gain any extra weapon or armor proficiencies

Arcane Might: The staple ability of Arcane Powerhouses, Arcane Might allows your spells to hit harder than they normally should. At each level, you gain a +1 bonus to Caster Level, in addition to the normal bonus provided by levelling up. At every even level, you also gain a +1 to the Save DC of any spell you cast.

Overchannel: While Arcane Might is what makes a Powerhouse famous, Overchannel is what makes him feared. Any spell with a Caster Level limit has that limit increased by 25%. This bonus grows to 50% at level 3, and 100% at level 5.
Example: The fireball spell normally has a max CL of 10. With Overchannel, that increases to 12, then 15, and finally to a maximum of 20d6 damage.

Just The Thing: A Powerhouse always comes prepared. This ability functions differently for prepared casters and spontaneous casters
Prepared: The Powerhouse can lose one prepared spell and instead cast any spell he knows of equal or lower level. They may do this a number of times per day equal to their Intelligence modifier (minimum 1)
Spontaneous: The Powerhouse can apply metamagic feats to one spell cast without increasing the casting time. They may do this a number of times per day equal to their Charisma modifier (minimum 1)

Pramxnim
2009-06-05, 02:22 AM
I like it. simple, yet effective. However, It's also incredibly overpowered. You lose nothing in entering the class, yet you gain all those nifty abilities?

I'd remove casting progression for this class, and instead make Arcane Might increase 2 caster levels each time.

Just my 2 cps.

Fako
2009-06-05, 10:12 AM
To be honest, I was only trying to provide a rough draft... the power balance wasn't a concern... however, if you insist, I can try to finish it up... :smalltongue:

I'm hesitant to remove casting entirely, as that will severely cripple the class. As such, I removed 3 levels of it, modifying Arcane Might accordingly. This way, you gain a level of spellcasting at each level where Overchannel doesn't increase.

I also added prerequisites, that way it's at least useable.

Prerequisites:
Feats: Greater Spell Penetration
Skills: Concentration 8 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 8 ranks
Spells: Must be able to cast spells of 3rd level or higher.

ARCANE POWERHOUSE
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Arcane Might (+2 CL), Overchannel (+25%)| -

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+2|Arcane Might (+3 CL, +1 DC), Skill Focus (Concentration)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Arcane Might (+5 CL, +1 DC), Overchannel (+50%)| -

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|Arcane Might (+6 CL, +2 DC), Just the Thing|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Arcane Might (+8 CL, +2 DC), Overchannel (+100%)| -[/table]
HD: d6
Skills: 2+Int
Class Skills: Same as Wizard

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Arcane Powerhouses do not gain any extra weapon or armor proficiencies

Arcane Might: The staple ability of Arcane Powerhouses, Arcane Might allows your spells to hit harder than they normally should. At each level, you gain the listed increases to Caster Level and Save DC for any arcane spell you cast.

Overchannel: While Arcane Might is what makes a Powerhouse famous, Overchannel is what makes him feared. Any spell with a Caster Level limit has that limit increased by 25%. This bonus grows to 50% at level 3, and 100% at level 5.
Example: The fireball spell normally has a max CL of 10. With Overchannel, that increases to 12, then 15, and finally to a maximum of 20d6 damage.

Just The Thing: A Powerhouse always comes prepared. This ability functions differently for prepared casters and spontaneous casters
Prepared: The Powerhouse can lose one prepared spell and instead cast any spell he knows of equal or lower level. They may do this a number of times per day equal to their Intelligence modifier (minimum 1)
Spontaneous: The Powerhouse can apply metamagic feats to one spell cast without increasing the casting time. They may do this a number of times per day equal to their Charisma modifier (minimum 1)

kentma57
2009-06-05, 01:34 PM
Very nice draft, I agree that full casting would be overpowered, I like the idea of 1/2 caster progresion. Might just be where it needs to be to stay playable, will disscus it with the other DM's I know, might even playtest.