PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew: Unique items [4E]

XiaoTie
2009-05-31, 02:55 PM
Gral, Edea, NEO, Del and Star: Stay away :smalltongue:

So, I made these items so to give them to players as a unique item they would most likely use throughout their entire career as 'adventurers'. Some of them are related to its user background, and some are not. So before presenting (some, so far) of the items I guess some information on the party could come in handy:

Selences; female elven Ranger (Archery Style): In a nutshell, she is the group's scout, 'rogue' (as far as disarming traps go, so far), and sniper. When she was a baby she was found by a human lady who was the wife of the thieve's guild leader. She is very quiet, and is adventuring as a way to test her skills
Aria; female human Swordmage (Shielding Swordmage): The talkative and mysterious party's face, she uses her powers to kill disruptive magic users, she is also part of a secret society called Rune Knights (think Illuminati, Priorat of Sion, or something along those lines), as a low rank member
Fisto; male warforged Monk (Playtest version): eh is a cool guy and doesnt afraid of anything. Besides jumping, running and doing all kind of stuff as he kills his enemies, this warforged is adventuring as a field test he wanted to undergo to test this new fighting style he developed
Kavaki; male goliath Shaman (Protector Spirit): Along with the elven ranger, he is very good at scouting (if not the best one at the party). He was one of his tribe's hunters, and left when one of the tribal leader's enemy killed his father, killed the leader of the tribe and most of the tribe, he only escaped because a friend of his helped him
Zafer; male genasi Warden (Wild Warden): So far hasn't shown any personality. Besides being one of the defenders, he also deals a fair amount of damage

So far I only have two three finished:
Aria’s
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Loce/jogo/RunelordSword.png

Selences'
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Loce/jogo/ElvenSniperbow.png

Kavaki's
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Loce/jogo/HuntsmanSpeartotem.png
On this one I pretty much only homebrewed the properties and added that it could be used as a spear like Yakk suggested. The powers were taken from two or three Totems from the PHB2 with some minor changes (to the first one IIRC)

Fisto's
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Loce/jogo/ChampionsBattlefists.png

Now, I come to you with questions of how broken these items may be (maybe some advices on how to fix them?), how to make them better than they are, how to make them more related to what little background I have showed you here, or pretty much anything good you can throw in here. No, really. :elan:

[Edit1]Edited with erikun's advices
[Edit2]Edited with Yakk's advices
[Edit3]Edited with Yakk's advices #2
[Edit3]Edited with new Uniques

erikun
2009-05-31, 05:58 PM
Well, alright. Let's give these a lookthrough, and hand out a few comments.

First, let's start with Aria's weapon.

Level 4 - +1 to Attack Rolls, Damage, AC and Will
It scales with level.

Scales, how? Is this just a shorthand way of saying that it gains a +1 enchantment bonus every 5 levels?

If so, I don't see an initial problem with it. I would recommend that Aria need to engage a player-specific ritual to "empower" the sword to the next level, but it could only be done a specific levels - she couldn't turn it into a +3 sword until she is level 10-15, to keep her in line with the rest of the party.

Why the AC bonus? This is mostly the same as wearing armor, except for the extra AC from special materials. As such, it seems like a pointless inclusion; she will still be getting enchanted armor anyways, and the two enchantment bonuses won't stack.

A similar issue with the Will bonus. Cloaks, collars, and shoulder pads grant an enchantment bonus to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will. Unless she runs around naked on a regular occasion, I would think her other equipment provides the same protection.

Critical: +1d8 per plus, or +2d6 against a magic user *.
Level 11 to 20: +2d6 damage
Level 21 to 30: +3d8 damage

Yikes, no. :smalleek:

Remember that it is +1d8/+2d6 per plus. Thus, once this sword is up to +6, a critical will be dealing +6d8/+12d6 additional damage. If you change it per tier, you're looking at +18d8 damage against a spellcaster!! Even if that is a mistype, +18d6 is quite an unusually large bonus.

Also, you'll want to steer away from "magic user." There's a lot of borderline cases; for example, is a Barbarian (using Primal) a spellcaster or not? What about a Shaman, who also uses the same Primal source?

Property: For the effects of the Critical, a magic user is any foe that has used a power that is not martial in its essence.

Oh, duh. That's what I get for not reading ahead.

Anyways, the properity is far too vague - there isn't anything in the 4e MM that uses a "Martial" power source! Even if you limit it to creatures who don't have the "Weapon" keyword, you end up with several oddities - the Balor, angels, and most elemental archons have a bunch of Weapon keywords, and probably aren't what you're thinking about.

I would suggest deciding on a limit, depending on the character. Unfortunately, powers aren't listed as Arcane or Divine, but they still have several keywords. Perhaps the sword actively hunts down Psychic or Teleportation users, or works better against Fey, Immortal, or Elemental foes.

Property: The owner of the Rune Lord sword gains half of his level as an enhancement bonus to Arcana and Diplomacy.

Why not just "gains the enchantment bonus to Arcana and Diplomancy"? +15 pretty much guarantees a success on anything they would normally try, unless her Diplomancy is truely terrible. (A Swordmage is pretty much guaranteed to have a high Arcana.)

Power (Encounter): Free action. Until the end of the encounter, all the damage you deal with this weapon is of the type that your mark has vulnerability to.

"Until the end of the encounter, one creature marked by you gains vulnerability X to your attacks."

Seems a bit much, but not quite as bad as the other abilities. It might work just fine as a Daily, considering you'll certainly be using it against the BBEG.

Power (Daily): Swift action. Until the end of the encounter, your attacks against your marks deal an extra 1d10 per plus.

Given the above, this seems kind of redundant. Yes, you can vulnerability one target and then use the for another, but they both feel like the same ability. Vulnerability 5 or +5 damage? Especially when they only affect your attacks?

Overall, it's worded a bit oddly. I hope you're meaning "gains +1 enchantment every 5 levels" and not "gains +1 enchantment every level." I shouldn't need to point out the problems with swinging around a +30 longsword. Abilities should be similar: critical/skill bonuses based on the enchantment level, not the character level. +30 or even +15 practically guarantees success. Finally, the vulnerability/bonus damage feel far too similar, and you need to be more specific that "magic user." I mean, if you have a clear idea on what is/isn't a magic user, stay with it. However, from what I see, basically everything you'll encounter is a "magic user."

Selences's weapon coming shortly.

<edit>

This should be a bit shorter, thankfully.

Level 4 - +1 to Attack Rolls and Damage
It scales with level.

Same comments as with Aria's - What does this mean? An additional +1 every 5 levels?

Critical: +1d12 per plus, or +2d8 if you have combat advantage or prime shot against the target.

Chances are, the ranger will be shooting someone with combat advantage anyways, thus giving them a +2d8 on every critical. (much like Aria's sword) I see at the bottom that the critical damage increases, something that isn't needed if the enchantment bonus increases automatically. (+24d10 damage?!?)

Property: The owner of a sniperbow gains half of his level as an enhancement bonus to Thievery and Perception.

Again, I'd recommend just adding the enchantment bonus to skills, rather than the full +15.

Property: The Huntsman sniperbow fires energy arrows, and as such does not need the use of mundane arrow.

Isn't this a given? Considering that thrown weapons return to their owner, it should be. Reguardless, good idea.

Power (Encounter): Move action + Swift action. If during the previous turn you did not use your Move action and your Swift action, your next hit during this turn with your Standard action is automatically a critical hit.

This would actually be a Free action, since you're not doing anything on this turn. Or are you saying that if the character only uses a Standard action last turn, and uses only a Standard action this turn, then their attack is an automatic critical?

I assume they still need to roll to hit.

It would actually be Move action + Minor action; there are no "Swift" actions in 4e. They're renamed into Immediate Reaction/Interrupt.

Also: critical Hammer Shot, as written, deals 4d10 + Dex (maxed) + bonuses + 3d6 (Hunter's Quarry) + 24d10. That's 54 + 3d6 + 24d10 damage, averaging 192 damage.

Power (Daily): Move action + Swift action. Your quarry damage increases to +2d6 until the end of the encounter.

Quite useless by level 11.

Overall, the same critiques as Aria's weapon - worded oddly and some unusually high bonuses. I'm wondering if, perhaps, you meant something slightly different than what you said. :smallwink: The auto-critical is interesting, especially since it restricts the ranger from moving for two rounds, unless they use their standard action to move instead (certainly possible, especially if hidden).

XiaoTie
2009-06-03, 09:21 AM
I still don’t know how it will scale, but I think that a +1 every few levels along with some upgrades on the Powers and/or properties should be ok.

On Aria’s:

If so, I don't see an initial problem with it. I would recommend that Aria need to engage a player-specific ritual to "empower" the sword to the next level, but it could only be done a specific levels - she couldn't turn it into a +3 sword until she is level 10-15, to keep her in line with the rest of the party.
Actually, that was how she empowered her blade this time, unlocking a box of magic goodness. That was one of the main ideas I had, to provide them with some minor quests along with the power up.

Why the AC bonus? This is mostly the same as wearing armor, except for the extra AC from special materials. As such, it seems like a pointless inclusion; she will still be getting enchanted armor anyways, and the two enchantment bonuses won't stack.
The armor bonus should be an enhancement of the AC/Will bonus swordmages get (from using the sword in one hand, and the +2 bonus they get to Will regardless), so it wouldn’t be overlaid by armors or necklaces. Better to edit that part and add a Property saying that.

Yikes, no.

Remember that it is +1d8/+2d6 per plus. Thus, once this sword is up to +6, a critical will be dealing +6d8/+12d6 additional damage. If you change it per tier, you're looking at +18d8 damage against a spellcaster!! Even if that is a mistype, +18d6 is quite an unusually large bonus.

By the time the weapon gains a +6 (which should be around level 26~30?) I don’t really think that kind of bonus on a critical (something hard to come by) would be that much.

Is it “OMG THAT IS CRAZY”-strong or more like “Ok, that is some strong stuff”-strong?

I also noticed I forgot to write down how the second part of the damage (the one about the 'magic user') would scale.

Anyways, the properity is far too vague - there isn't anything in the 4e MM that uses a "Martial" power source! Even if you limit it to creatures who don't have the "Weapon" keyword, you end up with several oddities - the Balor, angels, and most elemental archons have a bunch of Weapon keywords, and probably aren't what you're thinking about.

I would suggest deciding on a limit, depending on the character. Unfortunately, powers aren't listed as Arcane or Divine, but they still have several keywords. Perhaps the sword actively hunts down Psychic or Teleportation users, or works better against Fey, Immortal, or Elemental foes.

Yeah, defining what is and what isn’t a ‘magic user’ was one of the hardest thing in the homebrewing. But I think that I’ll write down at least, for now, a couple of stuff she increases the damage a bit (like elemental or fey), like you suggested, thanks :elan:

Why not just "gains the enchantment bonus to Arcana and Diplomancy"? +15 pretty much guarantees a success on anything they would normally try, unless her Diplomancy is truely terrible. (A Swordmage is pretty much guaranteed to have a high Arcana.)
True, she does have a high Arcana (12), and also has a nice Diplomacy (10), so this is pretty much to add some flavor as well as a minor bonus.

"Until the end of the encounter, one creature marked by you gains vulnerability X to your attacks."

Seems a bit much, but not quite as bad as the other abilities. It might work just fine as a Daily, considering you'll certainly be using it against the BBEG.
Hum, I think instead of it working against every mark, I’ll have it to work against only one per encounter, like you seemed to suggest.

Given the above, this seems kind of redundant. Yes, you can vulnerability one target and then use the for another, but they both feel like the same ability. Vulnerability 5 or +5 damage? Especially when they only affect your attacks?
This one I’ll probably change so it applies only to one mark, or maybe leave it that way and reduce the damage a bit.

Thanks for the help on this one :elan:

On Selences’

Chances are, the ranger will be shooting someone with combat advantage anyways, thus giving them a +2d8 on every critical. (much like Aria's sword) I see at the bottom that the critical damage increases, something that isn't needed if the enchantment bonus increases automatically. (+24d10 damage?!?)
No no, the crit isn’t increased, it’s the Daily Power that is, same goes for Aria’s.

This would actually be a Free action, since you're not doing anything on this turn. Or are you saying that if the character only uses a Standard action last turn, and uses only a Standard action this turn, then their attack is an automatic critical?

I assume they still need to roll to hit.

It would actually be Move action + Minor action; there are no "Swift" actions in 4e. They're renamed into Immediate Reaction/Interrupt.

Also: critical Hammer Shot, as written, deals 4d10 + Dex (maxed) + bonuses + 3d6 (Hunter's Quarry) + 24d10. That's 54 + 3d6 + 24d10 damage, averaging 192 damage.
Actually (besides Swift needing a change to Minor (nice catch there :thog: ) I think it is worded the way it should be, since the character will need a Move+Minor on the previous round (like the description says) besides the Move+Minor they’ll have to use this round.

Humm, I wasn’t thinking she would have to roll to hit =x. Where does the 24d10 comes from, by the way?

Thanks a bunch for the help erikun, I don’t really homebrew stuff and it’s always a good thing to have a helping hand on the matters of balance, the guys I would normally go to are two of the players :elan:

Mercenary Pen
2009-06-03, 10:13 AM
One minor issue, I think you mean minor action anytime you've typed swift action... Swift actions are 3.5e, not 4e.

XiaoTie
2009-06-03, 11:08 AM
One minor issue, I think you mean minor action anytime you've typed swift action... Swift actions are 3.5e, not 4e.

Yus! Thanks Mercenary, erikun mentioned it too :smallbiggrin:...I should change that now changed :thog:

Yakk
2009-06-03, 11:11 AM
I'll do a rewrite.

The Swordmage is a shielding swordmage. The weapon's powers should be somewhat defensive.

I made the Runelord sword powered by blood for the "encounter" power -- both your blood, and the blood of the target it damages. (You can have this activate the first time 'automatically', and have the blood flow down the rune markings on the blade, then burst into energy -- a fun image.)

Runelord Sword Special
Base +1 enchantment bonus to attack and damage rolls
Critical: +1d8 per plus, or +1d12 if the target has a power that deals damage of your aligned type.
Property: Grants a +1 item bonus per tier to AC, if the user is wearing cloth or no armor.
Property: Grants a +1 item bonus per tier to Will.
Property: Grants an item bonus equal to it's enhancement bonus to Arcana and Diplomacy.
Power (Healing Surge): Free Reaction to hitting an opponent. Align the sword with a particular damage type (see below). Until the end of the encounter, the Runelord sword deals damage of the aligned type, and you gain Resist 10 per tier against the aligned type. This can be dismissed as a free action.

Allowed damage types are Necrotic, Radiant, Fire, Cold, Acid, and Lightning.

This power recharges when you slay a non-minion of your level or higher, or bloody an elite or solo of your level or higher. This weapon must deal the damage in order to recharge this way. (note: it also recharges if you spend a healing surge on only recharging this power: see the Power(Healing Surge) rules in the PHB)
Power (Daily): Free action on your turn. Teleport a marked enemy to a square adjacent to you of their choice. (note, not your choice)

I changed the daily power from "yet another damage dealing power" to one that is quite nice for a defender.

I took the "change damage type", and made it central to the weapon. The weapon can now align itself with an arcane energy type, and its properties change in interesting ways.

Aligning the sword with fire while fighting fire elementals becomes an interesting choice: you deal fire damage (which fire elementals are resistant to), but you gain fire resist.

This works best against spellcasters, who often lack elemental resistance to their elemental attacks.

On the other hand, you could make your sword radiant to attack undead, and deal more damage. Or you could make your sword necrotic, deal less damage, and take less damage.

Elven Soulbow [Special]
+1 enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d8 per plus, or +1d12 if you have prime shot or combat advantage against your target
Property: +1 item bonus to AC against attacks of opportunity per tier
Property: Grants it's enhancement bonus as an item bonus to Thievery and Perception skills.
Power(At-Will): Free action. Create a nocked arrow out of soul energy. This arrow deals force damage, and deals full damage to insubstantial targets. On a critical hit with these arrows, you may push the target 1 square.
Power(Encounter): Move action. You are immobalised and gain a +1 item bonus per tier to your attack rolls with the Soulbow until the end of your next turn. On your next turn, you may choose one hit with your Soulbow, and make it a critical hit before rolling damage.
Power(Daily): Minor action. Quarry damage dealt to your current Quarry is always maximized.
I went with d12 again -- d12s need love. :)

I gave this one a bit of defense boost -- the item bonus to OAs, which encourages archery rangers to get in and mix it up.

I moved the bonus to "item bonus" to skills, and made it sane in size.

I made the 'energy arrows' do something besides save you on bookkeeping. Now you have push on critical, and full damage against insubstantial targets.

The encounter power is simplified. Don't charge 2 actions for a power. I also moved it so the player has to decide to use it the turn before it 'goes off' (evil!)

The Daily power, instead of changing dice, just maxes them out. Which is about as strong as giving bonus dice. I dropped it to a minor action: we don't want to punish mobility more than we have to, and this bow already has one power that does it.

---

Ideas for the others:
Fisto could get an amulet that enchants his fists and also fills the neck slot.
The Goliath could ... get a spear-totem? A reach weapon seems to work for a Goliath to me. And works with the hunter vibe.
The Warden -- does the Warden have a signature weapon? Or fighting style?

XiaoTie
2009-06-03, 11:50 AM
I'll do a rewrite.

The Swordmage is a shielding swordmage. The weapon's powers should be somewhat defensive.

I made the Runelord sword powered by blood for the "encounter" power -- both your blood, and the blood of the target it damages. (You can have this activate the first time 'automatically', and have the blood flow down the rune markings on the blade, then burst into energy -- a fun image.)

Runelord Sword Special
Base +1 enchantment bonus to attack and damage rolls
Critical: +1d8 per plus, or +1d12 if the target has a power that deals damage of your aligned type.
Property: Grants a +1 item bonus per tier to AC, if the user is wearing cloth or no armor.
Property: Grants a +1 item bonus per tier to Will.
Property: Grants an item bonus equal to it's enhancement bonus to Arcana and Diplomacy.
Power (Healing Surge): Free Reaction to hitting an opponent. Align the sword with a particular damage type (see below). Until the end of the encounter, the Runelord sword deals damage of the aligned type, and you gain Resist 10 per tier against the aligned type. This can be dismissed as a free action.

Allowed damage types are Necrotic, Radiant, Fire, Cold, Acid, and Lightning.

This power recharges when you slay a non-minion of your level or higher, or bloody an elite or solo of your level or higher. This weapon must deal the damage in order to recharge this way. (note: it also recharges if you spend a healing surge on only recharging this power: see the Power(Healing Surge) rules in the PHB)
Power (Daily): Free action on your turn. Teleport a marked enemy to a square adjacent to you of their choice. (note, not your choice)

[snip]

Loved your take on the sword. If I'm not replacing everything with yours I'll at least use 90% of it. Pretty damn cool.

Elven Soulbow [Special]
+1 enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d8 per plus, or +1d12 if you have prime shot or combat advantage against your target
Property: +1 item bonus to AC against attacks of opportunity per tier
Property: Grants it's enhancement bonus as an item bonus to Thievery and Perception skills.
Power(At-Will): Free action. Create a nocked arrow out of soul energy. This arrow deals force damage, and deals full damage to insubstantial targets. On a critical hit with these arrows, you may push the target 1 square.
Power(Encounter): Move action. You are immobalised and gain a +1 item bonus per tier to your attack rolls with the Soulbow until the end of your next turn. On your next turn, you may choose one hit with your Soulbow, and make it a critical hit before rolling damage.
Power(Daily): Minor action. Quarry damage dealt to your current Quarry is always maximized.
I went with d12 again -- d12s need love. :)

I gave this one a bit of defense boost -- the item bonus to OAs, which encourages archery rangers to get in and mix it up.

I moved the bonus to "item bonus" to skills, and made it sane in size.

I made the 'energy arrows' do something besides save you on bookkeeping. Now you have push on critical, and full damage against insubstantial targets.

The encounter power is simplified. Don't charge 2 actions for a power. I also moved it so the player has to decide to use it the turn before it 'goes off' (evil!)

The Daily power, instead of changing dice, just maxes them out. Which is about as strong as giving bonus dice. I dropped it to a minor action: we don't want to punish mobility more than we have to, and this bow already has one power that does it.

Hum, the thing about mobility is that the character isn't that fond of moving around, hence the "sniper" on the bow's name, so the +1 AC on OAs isn't that cool :smallfrown:

The bookkeeping issues isn't mine, the player has it :thog:. The only thing is, I couldn't understand if the power can be used with Rangers' powers, or if it's only usable on its own.

Your idea of Immobilized instead of Move+Minor is also really cool, I'm considering using it, and instead just the +1 to damage, maybe maximize the quarry damage as long as she continues to sustain it (with another Move every turn she wants to sustain), for a maximum of turns equal to her level (I'm probably overcomplicating, but it sounds cool :elan:) ? All in all, loved the changes and the ideas it gave me.

Ideas for the others:
Fisto could get an amulet that enchants his fists and also fills the neck slot.
The Goliath could ... get a spear-totem? A reach weapon seems to work for a Goliath to me. And works with the hunter vibe.
The Warden -- does the Warden have a signature weapon? Or fighting style?
The other day Fisto's player was talking with the other players about getting a Graceful weapon (AV p70) if I allowed him to put that in his fists as a house rule when the time comes (since it's a level 8 enhancement), so I was considering going from that point to the unique weapon.

It does work with the hunter vibe Kavaki has going on. Probably give the spear-totem some implement bonus along with the reach. Good idea.

Now, Zafer...well, his player didn't give me much to work with, but he uses a khopesh and has (from the powers he uses) a furious/enraged approach during combat.

Yakk
2009-06-03, 01:58 PM
If the player isn't moving around, you need to encourage it. Bad guys should be going after the Ranger sometimes. :)

The Ranger already has a + to OA AC. Being able to stand there and shoot an arrow and get missed on the OA makes that feature useful.

You could also encourage this by having something that is only visible from 'behind enemy lines' that needs to be shot with an arrow. Rangers are quite good at dancing through enemy lines.

The bookkeeping issues isn't mine, the player has it . The only thing is, I couldn't understand if the power can be used with Rangers' powers, or if it's only usable on its own.

Your idea of Immobilized instead of Move+Minor is also really cool, I'm considering using it, and instead just the +1 to damage, maybe maximize the quarry damage as long as she continues to sustain it (with another Move every turn she wants to sustain), for a maximum of turns equal to her level (I'm probably overcomplicating, but it sounds cool ) ? All in all, loved the changes and the ideas it gave me.
The bookkeeping is supposed to be ignored anyhow (for the most part).

I figure if you are making "energy arrows", having them be cool in more than just a "they are energy arrows" would be good -- I also don't want to make them overlap the runesword's "I can do energy damage" thing.

So I made them do force damage (the least resisted type), I made them push (traditional for force) on a crit, and I gave them anti-insubstantial abilities (also traditional for force).

Note I wasn't granting +1 to damage -- I was granting +1 to attack rolls (to-hit). And max quarry is about as strong as rolling twice as many dice (but doesn't stack with critical hits).

Things shouldn't last "one round per level" in 4e. The increased effect is already there -- you get to boost a higher level effect because you are higher level. :)

And having a power that gets far worse when you move means that making the target move is mean and seriously weakens them -- and making a target move is fun for both you and the player (who gets to use neat movement powers and the like).

There should be Lurkers and Skirmishers going after the ranger-in-the-back, and the ranger-in-the-back should destroy them. The ranger-in-the-back can learn that even with a bow, they can weave through monsters and out-mobility them. If you tie too many powers to "don't move", things break down.

4e has a design rule that says "giving up a move action doesn't help you attack" for a reason. You give up move actions for different kinds of mobility, not offence (barring turning move actions into minor actions).

---

Note that Item bonuses to skills vary from +1 to +6.
Enhancement bonuses to AC/NADs/Attacks go from +1 to +6.
Item bonuses to AC/NADs/Attacks go from +1 to +3 (and should be avoided, honestly).

"+1 per tier" means "+1 in heroic, +2 in paragon, +3 in epic".

---

Another idea for the Ranger bow: going full-bore Lurker with it.

Something like:
Power(Encounter): Fleeting ghost. Move up to your move, ignoring difficult terrain. At the end of your move, if you have at least partial cover against all enemies (not including cover from your allies) and have moved at least 2 squares away from your starting location this turn, make a stealth check against the highest passive perception of your enemies. If you win, you are now stealthed.

Property: Invisible Arrows. If you make an attack with the bow's force arrows and are stealthed, your target must make a perception check against your passive stealth in order to break your stealth.

XiaoTie
2009-06-03, 02:32 PM
[snip snip]

---

Note that Item bonuses to skills vary from +1 to +6.
Enhancement bonuses to AC/NADs/Attacks go from +1 to +6.
Item bonuses to AC/NADs/Attacks go from +1 to +3 (and should be avoided, honestly).

"+1 per tier" means "+1 in heroic, +2 in paragon, +3 in epic".

---

Pretty good advices, made some changes to the bow according to them. Thanks again Yakk

Another idea for the Ranger bow: going full-bore Lurker with it.

Something like:
Power(Encounter): Fleeting ghost. Move up to your move, ignoring difficult terrain. At the end of your move, if you have at least partial cover against all enemies (not including cover from your allies) and have moved at least 2 squares away from your starting location this turn, make a stealth check against the highest passive perception of your enemies. If you win, you are now stealthed.

Property: Invisible Arrows. If you make an attack with the bow's force arrows and are stealthed, your target must make a perception check against your passive stealth in order to break your stealth.
Again awesome ideas, I'll probably use them when the next 'upgrade' for the bow comes.

XiaoTie
2009-06-05, 11:34 AM
Shameless bump for more advice on new Uniques. :thog:

XiaoTie
2009-06-10, 09:39 AM
Aaand updated with another item

also, bump for the bump.